PDA

View Full Version : Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

The Professor
06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
lolol
QQ Bao

off to the gym for random accessory craps. Might do some laying around with some sitting, then im going to super set with some stretching and water drinking. Then im going to finish with a post workout drink 24oz curl super setting with some mouth flapping.

imma set a PR.
:r:r:r:r:r

PeteSB75
06-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Sent you a PM Frank.

So, MM tends to facilitate weight gain, eh? The main reason I like it is the flavor is good, and it includes both whey and casein proteins. Maybe I'll let my GF know she's better off with the biochem whey I have, since she's trying to lose. I'll tell her to just mix it with a glass of milk or blend a banana in it, because it tastes like ass. Will try the chocolate next time instead of vanilla.

Anyone tried Trader Joe's whey?

icehog3
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I *think* that's made by Met-Rx. Honestly, though, I'd go for Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

ADB is going to tell you the same thing. I recommend the Rocky Road flavor (ADB's favorite, too) because it tastes awesome. :) That and a good multi (I use OptiMen, by Optimum Nutrition too) should help.

And drink LOTS of water. :al

Major Ditto. :tu

Starscream
06-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Day 3 at the gym: Shoulders and back plus 30 min. on the elliptical.
:tu

Feel awesome right about now!

Chris.
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
yea, I've only been able to make it to the gym once or twice a week. I've been slacking HARD.

BigFrank
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
So, MM tends to facilitate weight gain, eh? The main reason I like it is the flavor is good, and it includes both whey and casein proteins. Maybe I'll let my GF know she's better off with the biochem whey I have, since she's trying to lose. I'll tell her to just mix it with a glass of milk or blend a banana in it, because it tastes like ass. Will try the chocolate next time instead of vanilla.

Anyone tried Trader Joe's whey?
Never tried Trader Joe's whey. If you take any advice this year whatsoever buy supplements online. It's cheap, the selection is better, and the prices cannot be beat. In my honest opinion MM is crap. It's loaded with too much crap. Get a whey powder like ON 100%. If you need carbs toss a banana and some oatmeal or something along those lines into the shake. There protein is low quality too.

MM's Protein blend - Calcium, And Sodium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides, Lactoferrin, L-Glutamine, Taurine

For the price you are paying it's crap.

nem
06-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Just noticed this thread. Never knew so many brothers were into weight lifting as well!

Got done with my evening workout about 3 hours ago . . . 5 x 3 of weighted pull ups with 50lbs plus 3 x 6 of t-bar rows with 4 plates. Eating some chicken breast and veggies right now (Did I tell you how much I hated cutting? LOL). Going to do my morning workout in two hours when the gym opens. Probably just some unweighted pull ups and bicep work.

nem
06-05-2009, 04:48 AM
So, MM tends to facilitate weight gain, eh? The main reason I like it is the flavor is good, and it includes both whey and casein proteins.

I agree with BigFrank that MM is crap given the price. If you're looking to put on weight, eat eat eat! At least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Plenty of healthy fats and carbs from low glycemic sources as well. If your schedule permits, eat every 2-3 hours.

PeteSB75
06-05-2009, 07:13 AM
I agree with BigFrank that MM is crap given the price. If you're looking to put on weight, eat eat eat! At least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Plenty of healthy fats and carbs from low glycemic sources as well. If your schedule permits, eat every 2-3 hours.

I'm not looking to put on weight. I'm building muscle, but have about 20lbs or so of fat I wouldn't mind dropping. I'll have to try some of the other protein shakes. I was going with just real food for a while, but that's much easier with an evening workout schedule. Lift, come home, throw some chicken on the foreman and veg in front of the tv. Tough to manage it in the morning, when I have to get my ass to work.

icehog3
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Just noticed this thread. Never knew so many brothers were into weight lifting as well!

Got done with my evening workout about 3 hours ago . . . 5 x 3 of weighted pull ups with 50lbs plus 3 x 6 of t-bar rows with 4 plates. Eating some chicken breast and veggies right now (Did I tell you how much I hated cutting? LOL). Going to do my morning workout in two hours when the gym opens. Probably just some unweighted pull ups and bicep work.

Just curious, I see that you are doing pull-up workouts 5 hours apart...I was curious as to why so little rest between back workouts?

nem
06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm not looking to put on weight. I'm building muscle, but have about 20lbs or so of fat I wouldn't mind dropping. I'll have to try some of the other protein shakes. I was going with just real food for a while, but that's much easier with an evening workout schedule. Lift, come home, throw some chicken on the foreman and veg in front of the tv. Tough to manage it in the morning, when I have to get my ass to work.

Not trying to be cynical here, but generally speaking it's difficult (though not completely impossible) to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time. On a more conventional diet with plenty of carbs, your body needs to be at a caloric deficit (burning more calories than you're consuming) to get rid of fat, which makes it difficult to put on any muscle. Likewise, if you're looking to put on muscle, your body needs to be at a caloric surplus (consuming more calories than you're burning), which makes it hard to get rid of fat. If you're really looking to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time, you might want to contemplate going on a low-carb ketogenic diet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet). Though not everyone is a fan of ketogenic diets, some people have enjoyed quite a bit of success with them. Ultimately, keep in mind that changing your body composition is 90% diet, 10% everything else.

Also protein supplements from most of the major brands tend be nearly identical except in taste and packaging. From what I understand, only a handful of factories actually produce protein powders from scratch. The various major supplement companies buys protein powders from these factories in bulk and then flavors, packages, markets, etc. them as their own.

Good luck, sir!

nem
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Just curious, I see that you are doing pull-up workouts 5 hours apart...I was curious as to why so little rest between back workouts?

Some strength and conditioning coaches (e.g. Charles Poliquin) feels that doing two workouts in a single day targeting the same muscles serves as one of the fastest ways to putting on size and/or strength. The first workout would generally be heavy weights at low reps. The second workout would be light weights, but with greater volume. Poliquin recommends having a morning and then afternoon workout with about 5-6 hours of rest in between. However, I'm on a rather odd schedule . . . LOL. So sometimes I would do the first workout around 11 or 12 at night, and the second workout in the early morning at 6 when my gym opens.

I'm not completely sure why 5-6 hours of rest is recommended between the first/heavy workout and the second/light workout. However it has worked for me. I'm guessing it's the optimal amount of rest time with regard to getting enough rest between the two workouts, but before your nervous system wears out for the day.

BigFrank
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I would recommend carb cycling pete.

Off to the gym in a few for some squats. Then I'm getting a Qdoba burrito or Taco Bell.

Mugen910
06-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Alex!

Frank,
You sent me a simple 3-day a week gym plan..can you resend that to me or make up something else where I can look like 1/4 of you? :tu

Starscream
06-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, brother.
Not trying to be cynical here, but generally speaking it's difficult (though not completely impossible) to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time. On a more conventional diet with plenty of carbs, your body needs to be at a caloric deficit (burning more calories than you're consuming) to get rid of fat, which makes it difficult to put on any muscle. Likewise, if you're looking to put on muscle, your body needs to be at a caloric surplus (consuming more calories than you're burning), which makes it hard to get rid of fat. If you're really looking to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time, you might want to contemplate going on a low-carb ketogenic diet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet). Though not everyone is a fan of ketogenic diets, some people have enjoyed quite a bit of success with them. Ultimately, keep in mind that changing your body composition is 90% diet, 10% everything else.

Also protein supplements from most of the major brands tend be nearly identical except in taste and packaging. From what I understand, only a handful of factories actually produce protein powders from scratch. The various major supplement companies buys protein powders from these factories in bulk and then flavors, packages, markets, etc. them as their own.

Good luck, sir!

Great info:tu, although I'm not sure the ketogenic diet is for me. I tried it a few years ago and it takes a lot of discipline to stay on this type of diet.

icehog3
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Some strength and conditioning coaches (e.g. Charles Poliquin) feels that doing two workouts in a single day targeting the same muscles serves as one of the fastest ways to putting on size and/or strength. The first workout would generally be heavy weights at low reps. The second workout would be light weights, but with greater volume. Poliquin recommends having a morning and then afternoon workout with about 5-6 hours of rest in between. However, I'm on a rather odd schedule . . . LOL. So sometimes I would do the first workout around 11 or 12 at night, and the second workout in the early morning at 6 when my gym opens.

I'm not completely sure why 5-6 hours of rest is recommended between the first/heavy workout and the second/light workout. However it has worked for me. I'm guessing it's the optimal amount of rest time with regard to getting enough rest between the two workouts, but before your nervous system wears out for the day.

That is all that matters, bottom line. Thanks for the info.

I hit back today, mostly pull-ups and cable work....lower back doesn't feel 100% healed yet so I will save my heavy movements for my next back workout Tuesday.

BigFrank
06-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey Alex!

Frank,
You sent me a simple 3-day a week gym plan..can you resend that to me or make up something else where I can look like 1/4 of you? :tu
Sure Bao. I got some free time tonight I get one moving. Shoot me a pm with your plans as of now. I think I may put ya on the program I am on now. It's great, and isnt a massive time consuming crapper.

By 1/4 do you mean 25% as strong, or 25% as fat :r

BigFrank
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Squatted tonight.
Went quick and boring. 525x7 then worked my way down. Did some calf stuff 3 sets then left. I just ate taco bell and I am awaiting the fiery aftermath that shall ensue.

For you guys looking to drop a few pounds and get in better shape I seriously recommend carb cycling. It is seriously worth looking into. Seriously. Can you tell I'm serious?

Chris.
06-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Yea, I'm looking to get under 200 pounds again. I'm at 230 now. I just want to lose a lot of fat and get back down to a 34 waist from the 38 I am now. I've been trying to run after my workouts to help with that.

icehog3
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Squatted tonight.
Went quick and boring. 525x7 then worked my way down. Did some calf stuff 3 sets then left. I just ate taco bell and I am awaiting the fiery aftermath that shall ensue.

For you guys looking to drop a few pounds and get in better shape I seriously recommend carb cycling. It is seriously worth looking into. Seriously. Can you tell I'm serious?

Why so serious, Frank?

;) :r

Starscream
06-05-2009, 07:40 PM

:tu

Skipped the gym today. I had planned to go and just hit the elliptical machine today, but I felt drained after school. Will get there tomorrow afternoon then back to the weights on Monday.

Mugen910
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Sure Bao. I got some free time tonight I get one moving. Shoot me a pm with your plans as of now. I think I may put ya on the program I am on now. It's great, and isnt a massive time consuming crapper.

By 1/4 do you mean 25% as strong, or 25% as fat :r

I'll take either since I know you're a beast! :ze

What is carb cycling or did I miss the post?

Starscream
06-06-2009, 01:01 PM
What is carb cycling or did I miss the post?Carb cycling:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

icehog3
06-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Good shoulder workout today. Went back to the NOExplode for a cycle to get off the White Flood for a bit. Also trying a new after-workout supplement, MuscleTech Anabolic Halo...hope it works better than it tastes! :r

Heavy seated military, reps on dumbbell military, heavy dumbbell shrugs, reps on barbell shrugs....Saved arms for tomorrow, which would have been a day off otherwise.

BigFrank
06-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I like this break down of carb cycling, the low days allow for some carbs but not many.

Chris.
06-06-2009, 05:10 PM
There is a MASS of info on it on BB.com. I read part of the first article yesterday. It's very long and there are continued articles on it! I need a carb cycling for dummies guide with the food lists. lol, I'm too lazy to read that much..even though I probably will(when I'm not wasting time on here) lol

Starscream
06-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I like this break down of carb cycling, the low days allow for some carbs but not many.

Thinking about starting carb cycling on Monday along with my new gym routine (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mercedes2.htm). Not sure if the carb cycling will fit in with my Weight Watchers dieting, but will try it nonetheless.

BigFrank
06-06-2009, 07:38 PM
There is a MASS of info on it on BB.com. I read part of the first article yesterday. It's very long and there are continued articles on it! I need a carb cycling for dummies guide with the food lists. lol, I'm too lazy to read that much..even though I probably will(when I'm not wasting time on here) lol
keep protein to normal sources
good carbs
and veggies

think of carb cycling like this. workout days eat a moderate amount of carbs.non workout days eat less.

Thinking about starting carb cycling on Monday along with my new gym routine (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mercedes2.htm). Not sure if the carb cycling will fit in with my Weight Watchers dieting, but will try it nonetheless.
pretty standard routine there. stick with it!

here was the link I meant to put in my above post. guess i forgot it.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_nutrition_bo dybuilding/shredded_at_last_1

PeteSB75
06-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'll have to look into carb cycling some more. Right now, though, I'm just adding some more cardio into the mix.

This Friday, I did spin
Saturday - lifted - Squats, Power Cleans and Bench
Sunday, spin.
Jog tomorrow, lift tuesday, jog or spin wednesday, lift thursday, rinse repeat.

BigFrank
06-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Went to the gym today cuz i was bored at home. Upper back and biceps w/ abs. I drank a turbo tea and it tasted like chit.
That is all.

Starscream
06-07-2009, 12:43 PM
pretty standard routine there. stick with it!

Not to mention the woman who wrote it is HOT!

No gym today. Going tomorrow for legs.

GhostRyder
06-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Doing some Crossfit and Deadlifts in a few... going to try to smoke my arms at the end too maybe if "Lynne" doesn't do it.

Then abs.

Ready, set, go.

icehog3
06-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Went in on my scheduled day off too, to hit arms. One of those days where everything felt light on the barbell and dumbbell curls. Wish every bicep day could be like today. :)

GhostRyder
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Went in on my scheduled day off too, to hit arms. One of those days where everything felt light on the barbell and dumbbell curls. Wish every bicep day could be like today. :)

Excellent.. I felt the same way. Well rested after 2 days off, I PRd on my deadlift. 3 reps of PR actually... I put up double my skinny ass, which isn't too shabby, but I'm only 160lbs so it was nothing to write home about. Then "Lynne" ruined my chest and back. The jog home was a little painful, but well worth it.

catfish2
06-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Guys three or so years ago when I went for gastric bypass surgery I weighed 398 lbs. A year after the surgery I bottomed out at 176 lbs. Thats when I started hitting the weights again and started bulking up muscle wise and now I'm up to the mid 190's. I had already maxed out on my Boflex with my legs, but recently have maxed out the bars on my chest for 15 to 20 reps. My plan is to supplement my equipment with a powertec machine after my divorce. That way I can add free weight plates and leverage exercises to my workout.

The other thing that I wanted to mention was N.O. supplements. I have used NO explode, animal, vapor, super pump, plasmacore, and white flood. Some worked well for me, some didn't work at all, and a couple I couldn't even stand to even swallow it. But then I used MHP Dark Rage. I don't want this to sound like an ad but this is the most powerful pre-workout that I have ever used. If anybody gives it a try start out with one scoop and go slow. Has anybody else tried this?

icehog3
06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Haven't tried the Dark Rage, Don, what is the full company name of MHP?

White Flood has been my go-to....I cycle off it every couple tubs to try to repair my caffeine receptors, and sometimes use the NO-Explode or Super Pump. Sounds like I have to give your suggestion a try.

catfish2
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Haven't tried the Dark Rage, Don, what is the full company name of MHP?

White Flood has been my go-to....I cycle off it every couple tubs to try to repair my caffeine receptors, and sometimes use the NO-Explode or Super Pump. Sounds like I have to give your suggestion a try.

It's just MHP. If you go to bodybuilding.com or one of the other online stores you can punch in MHP or dark rage and you will get it. As far as control labs goes that was one of the two that I couldn't stand the smell anymore. I'd open the lid and I'd get sick.

PeteSB75
06-08-2009, 06:50 AM
3mi this morning. New running shoes. They feel very good. My old ones were multi-purpose - I used them at the gym, for spin, for walking around. I think these ones will be for running only.

icehog3
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
It's just MHP. If you go to bodybuilding.com or one of the other online stores you can punch in MHP or dark rage and you will get it. As far as control labs goes that was one of the two that I couldn't stand the smell anymore. I'd open the lid and I'd get sick.

Too funny...different strokes for different folks, I guess, Don....the Controlled Labs is probably the NO I find the least offensive tasting. :r

I will definitely give the MHP product a try in a few weeks.

GhostRyder
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
3mi this morning. New running shoes. They feel very good. My old ones were multi-purpose - I used them at the gym, for spin, for walking around. I think these ones will be for running only.

Definitely the way to go.. I ruined a pair of Aasics by lifting in them. Now I use that pair to lift and I have a pair of Saucony Guides that I use exclusively for running.

PeteSB75
06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Definitely the way to go.. I ruined a pair of Aasics by lifting in them. Now I use that pair to lift and I have a pair of Saucony Guides that I use exclusively for running.

What? You mean squatting is not good for my running shoes? :ss

icehog3
06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Anabolic Halo tastes like ass. :2

BigFrank
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Anabolic Halo tastes like ass. :2
Havent tried that yet Tom, but a few guys I know said the same thing. Give Universal's Torrent a try for post workout drink. I love it's taste.

icehog3
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Havent tried that yet Tom, but a few guys I know said the same thing. Give Universal's Torrent a try for post workout drink. I love it's taste.

Frankly Frank, I will deal with the rotten taste if it works. The closest thing I can compare it to is if you mixed some Vicks Vapor Rub in water...Menthol flavor that makes my throat stay "warm" for 15 minutes. It blows, but I will give it a chance to see if it works....

How did the Torrent work for you?

Starscream
06-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Leg day today. I feel a lot better than last leg day (my first one at the gym):tu. No soreness like last week, although my quads are weak feeling now.

Chris.
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Had a great back/ab workout today! :)

catfish2
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Too funny...different strokes for different folks, I guess, Don....the Controlled Labs is probably the NO I find the least offensive tasting. :r

I will definitely give the MHP product a try in a few weeks.

I don't want you to kick my ass so I'll be completely honest, It does taste like ASS. Not even semi-sexy stripper ass. More like crack whore ass. But it's still swallowable. Did I mention that the fruit punch is BLOOD RED.

BigFrank
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Frankly Frank, I will deal with the rotten taste if it works. The closest thing I can compare it to is if you mixed some Vicks Vapor Rub in water...Menthol flavor that makes my throat stay "warm" for 15 minutes. It blows, but I will give it a chance to see if it works....

How did the Torrent work for you?
lol sounds rough. I refuse to try it. Been using Torrent on and off for awhile now, been nothing but good. Totally worth the money. Buy some Tom. If ya dont like it I will buy it off ya! I recommend it that much!

Been busy as hell today, need to get a routine written up been slacking. Ya I'm a bum.

Tonights Workout - Bench 3RM 90%
Bench-425x4 Beat my old PR by one rep. Last rep was a grinder.
I think starting next week I am going to do band/chain work on my assistance day, and do some 4 or 5 board work for the bench. Need to speed my press up.
Did some other crap. I felt really bloated today. I ate like 5 cups of rice over three meals at work. I had a big ole belly going today.

icehog3
06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a good workout, Frank...and I will definitely try Torrent after I have choked my way through the Halo. :tu

Don, you make the product sound soooo appealing. :r :pu

DavenportESQ
06-08-2009, 11:49 PM
lol sounds rough. I refuse to try it. Been using Torrent on and off for awhile now, been nothing but good. Totally worth the money. Buy some Tom. If ya dont like it I will buy it off ya! I recommend it that much!

Been busy as hell today, need to get a routine written up been slacking. Ya I'm a bum.

Tonights Workout - Bench 3RM 90%
Bench-425x4 Beat my old PR by one rep. Last rep was a grinder.
I think starting next week I am going to do band/chain work on my assistance day, and do some 4 or 5 board work for the bench. Need to speed my press up.
Did some other crap. I felt really bloated today. I ate like 5 cups of rice over three meals at work. I had a big ole belly going today.

A neat way to change up your bench workout especially at the %'s ur doing would be to overload the weight. Go to like 110%-120% and bench with the bands going in the opposite direction..

Example.

Bench out of a power rack and hook the bands up to the top and the bar so the weight is assisting you on the way up.

PeteSB75
06-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Good PR day this morning. Felt very good lifting and cranked out some good stuff.

Squats
295x5
305x5
315x5 new PR

Press
125x5 3 sets - tie PR

Dead
225x5
275x3 new PR

I definitely need some straps for my deads. I really dislike the over/under, but I can't do over 250 with a normal or hook grip. I'll pick some up this weekend. Oh, and I celebrate the anniversary of my birth today, so a good day so far.

Starscream
06-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Good PR day this morning. Felt very good lifting and cranked out some good stuff.

Squats
295x5
305x5
315x5 new PR

Press
125x5 3 sets - tie PR

Dead
225x5
275x3 new PR

I definitely need some straps for my deads. I really dislike the over/under, but I can't do over 250 with a normal or hook grip. I'll pick some up this weekend. Oh, and I celebrate the anniversary of my birth today, so a good day so far.

PR day on your birthday!:tu Congrats and happy birthday!

icehog3
06-09-2009, 08:31 AM
PR day on your birthday!:tu Congrats and happy birthday!

Yeah, Baby! Happy Birthday Pete!

King James
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
comfortable enough with the elbow to get back to it today...good lifting day to everyone else too I hope

BigFrank
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
A neat way to change up your bench workout especially at the %'s ur doing would be to overload the weight. Go to like 110%-120% and bench with the bands going in the opposite direction..

Example.

Bench out of a power rack and hook the bands up to the top and the bar so the weight is assisting you on the way up.

thanks for the tip bro. power rack at the gym I train at does not have a hookup for reverse bands. any tips / ideas how to work around that?
This is why i was thinking about doing 4-5 board presses to handle a heavier weight.

the other gym I train at sometimes has a REAL power rack setup but travel and kid care issues make it an ordeal to train there.

icehog3
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Awesome back workout today....went up to 6 plates plus a quarter on T-bars, sets at 315 on Barbell rows, and finished up with pull-ups (couldn't get anywhere near as many reps as I do when I start with them...LOL). Lats still feel pumped 3 1/2 hours later. Now to start gearing up for hockey tonight....3 games in 3 nights, plus work and workouts....I should be toast by Friday.

BigFrank
06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Better get some RedLine drinks for that lineup Tom!

Deadlifts tonight
575x3 Felt HEAVY
Gym closed early do to ceiling caving in due to crazy T-Storms. Funny. Finished 80% of my workout so I will have to settle.

icehog3
06-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Glad you got most of it in, Frank. By the way, 575 IS heavy. :r

I may be buying stock in Redline before the week is out!

DavenportESQ
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
thanks for the tip bro. power rack at the gym I train at does not have a hookup for reverse bands. any tips / ideas how to work around that?
This is why i was thinking about doing 4-5 board presses to handle a heavier weight.

the other gym I train at sometimes has a REAL power rack setup but travel and kid care issues make it an ordeal to train there.

I have been thinking about this and the only thing I can think of would be to maybe seeing if you could rig the bands in a squat rack. Other than that the board presses might be a good option. Good luck
:ss

BigFrank
06-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I have been thinking about this and the only thing I can think of would be to maybe seeing if you could rig the bands in a squat rack. Other than that the board presses might be a good option. Good luck

Ya I was thinking about what I could do last night at the gym. There's 1 real power rack and two of the half racks. Well that's what I cell them. I couldn't think of an easy way to set up bands in a simple and non time consuming fashion.
Figuring I have easy and free access to 2x4's at work making a 4 and 5 board setup would be easy.

icehog3
06-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Did heavy military presses despite possible whiplash I got in last night's hockey game. Feel fine, but I made sure I kept super strict form.

zemekone
06-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Did heavy military presses despite possible whiplash I got in last night's hockey game. Feel fine, but I made sure I kept super strict form.

i did heavy a$$ dumbell press, havent done them in a while, had a monster day! did 70lbs dumbells for 20! :ze

pnoon
06-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Nice review.

icehog3
06-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Nice review.

Go heavy or go home, Peter! :fu

DPD6030
06-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I need to start working out. I hate doing it by myself though. I should since I'm a little guy and don't want to get my arse kicked while at work. I guess that's why I carry 50,00 volts. :D

icehog3
06-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I need to start working out. I hate doing it by myself though. I should since I'm a little guy and don't want to get my arse kicked while at work. I guess that's why I carry 50,00 volts. :D

Don't tase me, Bro! :D

PeteSB75
06-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Tough workout this morning. Was tired going in and tired coming out. Power Cleans kill me some days and I love em others. Today was a killing day...

Squat
305x5
315x5 2 sets - tie PR

Power Clean
145x5 tie PR
145x3 - almost dropped 4th rep.
140x5

Bench
185x5 3 sets - tie PR

Got a 5k tonight, hope my knees hold up :ss

icehog3
06-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Good luck in the race, Pete! :tu

Off for another "scheduled off day" workout....I am gonna really have to take a day off sometime. :r

King James
06-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Back/Bis for me today. Tuesday went alright, although on a few tricep lifts had pain in the elbow. Had to stop on skull crushers due to pain, but getting alot better.

icehog3
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Back/Bis for me today. Tuesday went alright, although on a few tricep lifts had pain in the elbow. Had to stop on skull crushers due to pain, but getting alot better.

Tweaked my elbow yesterday throwing up the dumbbells for militarys....sucks, Jimmy! :mad:

GreekGodX
06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Thought I would share I just started on Dogcrapp routine. I've been lifting seriously for the past 6 years. While before it was for sports, now I just want to get as big as possible. I've been doing high volume workouts for most of that time so I figured Dogcrapp would be the best suited for me. Anyone have experience using their methodologies? The founder of the method claims gains of up to 50 lbs of muscle in a year. Here's a site that has all the info on it. http://www.intensemuscle.com

DavenportESQ
06-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Thought I would share I just started on Dogcrapp routine. I've been lifting seriously for the past 6 years. While before it was for sports, now I just want to get as big as possible. I've been doing high volume workouts for most of that time so I figured Dogcrapp would be the best suited for me. Anyone have experience using their methodologies? The founder of the method claims gains of up to 50 lbs of muscle in a year. Here's a site that has all the info on it. http://www.intensemuscle.com

50 pounds of muscle a year? Is that the same program Barry Bonds was on?

I don't know much about them....but I will take a look..

I took a look and this isn't a new revolutionary idea. A lot of this has been around for years. I know you said your background is High Volume workouts so this would be a good fit. My only idea would be if your have been doing high volume for 6 years why not switch your routine to something different, more challenging and new? You would probably see bigger gains, and new changes because your forcing your body to change and adapt instead of just going through the grind?

Thats just me though

King James
06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm with Dave on changing up the routine. Always good to shock the system. I'm switching to a new one next week actually as I've been on this one for awhile now.

BigFrank
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Gonna go with most here and tell you that 50lbs is total bullshit. Maybe 5 lbs. If your eating your balls off. Specially being natural.
I trained a similar style awhile ago. Only thing I would say is take special care of yourself. Make sure you are getting enough calories and using proper restoration techniques. I responded well to this type of program but after a few weeks my joints etc started getting banged up. Pushing it as hard as you can every week can be rough on your body. I'm not sure if they advocate any type of downtime or deloading but I would recommend. Even despite you experience training. Sometimes for guys that have been in the game a long time doing less and resting more does more than being in the gym everyday and wearing your back side out.

Just my :2

icehog3
06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Agreed Frank, no way a person is going to put on 50 pounds of muscle in one year. 50 pounds of bodyweight, maybe, but if you could put on 10 pounds of pure muscle in one year I would call that highly successful, even unusual.

GreekGodX
06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't believe that it can be done without anabolic drugs. Going from 207 to 257 in a year would be a huge adjustment and that to me would be too much. If I could get to 220 that would be great. For as long as my legs don't get any bigger that would be a bonus.

There is a period that you are doing all out lifts and then a period when you back off. Basically once you aren't making any more gains you back off.

I'm finishing the first week of the workouts and it definitely has tired me out. I've needed more sleep and needed to eat more. I'm gonna take some anthropometric measurements so I can track my progress.

PeteSB75
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Agreed Frank, no way a person is going to put on 50 pounds of muscle in one year. 50 pounds of bodyweight, maybe, but if you could put on 10 pounds of pure muscle in one year I would call that highly successful, even unusual.

I put on about 10lbs of muscle in the first six months I was lifting, ever. That is the only time I would ever expect to see that amount of gains.

icehog3
06-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I put on about 10lbs of muscle in the first six months I was lifting, ever. That is the only time I would ever expect to see that amount of gains.

Agreed, Pete.

Starscream
06-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Agreed, Pete.

So can I (being new to the gym) expect to lose fat, but not much weight if I am dieting right now?

GreekGodX
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Well I'm 22 years old so I don't think gaining 13 pounds of muscle to 220lbs would be out of reach, in one year time. All this talk is just motivation :ze

icehog3
06-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Well I'm 22 years old so I don't think gaining 13 pounds of muscle to 220lbs would be out of reach, in one year time. All this talk is just motivation :ze

Hope you make it happen, Christos! :tu

trader1974
06-12-2009, 08:18 AM
After a couple of months of hit or miss visits to the gym, I actually made it three times this week. Up at 5:30 this morning to do shoulders and tri's and get a run in before work. Felt great!:wo

icehog3
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Decided to take an unscheduled day off after training 8 days in a row, including on two of my "scheduled" days off....between that and 5 hockey games in those 8 days, I am ready for a down day. ;)

DavenportESQ
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Decided to take an unscheduled day off after training 8 days in a row, including on two of my "scheduled" days off....between that and 5 hockey games in those 8 days, I am ready for a down day. ;)

With as active as you are a day off probably does a lot more good than you think

icehog3
06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
With as active as you are a day off probably does a lot more good than you think

I know, Dave, I just have a hard time taking a day off when I am feeling energetic and not sore...but I know it was time. :)

PeteSB75
06-12-2009, 09:29 AM
So can I (being new to the gym) expect to lose fat, but not much weight if I am dieting right now?

It depends mostly on your eating habits, TBH. You'll need to eat slightly above your daily calorie requirements to build the muscle. But if you shift your food intake to healthier foods, you could well find yourself losing. I know I did. Of course, I also cut drinking almost completely, as well as all the junk-food crap I was eating. No take-out. No beer. Cook every meal - my foreman grill sees a lot of use. I also started eating healthier food throughout the day so I was no longer starving by the time I got home from work, prompting me to eat at the deli around the corner. I went from 275 to 235 in about 6 months. That includes gaining about 10lbs of muscle.

Diet is a horribly mis-used term. Your diet is what you eat every day. You can change your diet, but restricting your food intake is not necessarily going to get you where you want to be.

Your best bet, IMO, is to find out how many calories you should be eating, based on body weight/composition, age, sex and general activity level. Then adjust that, based on your goals. livestrong.com has a good food tracker, where you can set a daily calorie target and adjust it based on your workout for the day. They have lots of common foods in their database. It's worth the time it takes every day just to give yourself an understanding of what you are eating.

DavenportESQ
06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I know, Dave, I just have a hard time taking a day off when I am feeling energetic and not sore...but I know it was time. :)

You need to find a non high impact activity

PeteSB75
06-12-2009, 09:34 AM
You need to find a non high impact activity

Spin?

icehog3
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I am resisting posting the "sister" jokes. ;) :r

PeteSB75
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3828/squat.jpg

icehog3
06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I remember posting that pic on Club Stogie! :r

PeteSB75
06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I remember posting that pic on Club Stogie! :r

Heh, where do you think I got it from? :dance:

Didn't you put that up for a motivational poster contest? Hmm, now I just need Stig's shop of Peter to make my collection complete...

icehog3
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Heh, where do you think I got it from? :dance:

Didn't you put that up for a motivational poster contest? Hmm, now I just need Stig's shop of Peter to make my collection complete...

That was it! :r

BigFrank
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I dont think that would be a bad goal at all. You would have to eat A LOT. Also drugs might be an option.

I agree with this a lot. Sometimes I think you would make killer gains doing less Tom. But then again that's the powerlifter ( lazy fat guy ) way of thinking.

I have trained with a few guys over the years who have done drugs to get big. I am still baffled by the 50 lbs. Even enhanced guys wish for that kind of gains, let alone natural.

Ive put on roughly 12 pounds this year, but I am not ashamed to admit at least 50% of it is fat. I figure thats the price to pay.

Gonna hit squats up in a few. Im tired.

BigFrank
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4834/squattilyoupuke.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/squattilyoupuke.jpg/)

PeteSB75
06-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok workout today. Squats, Press and Deads. Tied PR in Squat and Dead and hit a new one on Press - 130lbs. Was damn tired after though. Spin tomorrow.

icehog3
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Went light on chest today...incline dumbbells, flat bench, dips, all for high reps. Hope to train heavy next chest day, working around a slight injury.

DavenportESQ
06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3828/squat.jpg

I have to admit I love every single thing about this picture...

Including the buldging quads!

I haven't been posting much about my workouts because I haven't been doing much of anything besides learning to golf and hit the driving range.

My goal is to not have to start going into the gym until September...This is all based on how my body acclimates to retirement from Track and Field.... have just been going to hard for so long *close to 10 yrs* I need to find out what my body wants to do and get excited about the gym...Add in a few small injuries and some time away is exactly what the dr. ordered

I am floating around the 260 lb range now and I feel like I am in decent shape this is based on the fact that I don't look like a pudge ball.. If I start getting saggy and weak looking I will probably start at least doing some sort of cardio activity 3-4 times a week.

My main focus is to control my appetite. No need to eat 8000 calories a day anymore so I am just trying to cut my portions in half. This usually means if I go out to eat only eating half and saving the other half for lunch. I am also switching cutting down from 3 whole eggs to 1 egg 2 eggwhites...Avoiding fast food and steaks. Lately If we go out to eat I have been getting pork chops/some sort of fish dish instead of the 32. 0z porterhouse

Keep at it guys!

Chris.
06-14-2009, 12:41 AM
That pic has been floating around for years! I have always loved it!

nem
06-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Speaking of squats . . . what's better for putting on mass? Squatting to parallel or ass to the grass?

GreekGodX
06-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I dont think that would be a bad goal at all. You would have to eat A LOT. Also drugs might be an option.

Drugs are not an option. I have no reason to add any type of anabolic drugs to my life at my age. I supplement with protein, fish oil, and BCAA's. Thinking about adding creatine..

BigFrank
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Speaking of squats . . . what's better for putting on mass? Squatting to parallel or ass to the grass?
I have heard a lot of different thoughts on this. My opinion would be for a natural lifter not in any competition, to squat with a stance about shoulder width and going slightly below parallel.
Drugs are not an option. I have no reason to add any type of anabolic drugs to my life at my age. I supplement with protein, fish oil, and BCAA's. Thinking about adding creatine..
I have taken creatine on and off regularly for awhile now, the only thing I have noticed is when I take it everyday consistently I carry an extra 5 lbs. which I assume is from water retention. But, with that said it's piss cheap so it's worth giving a chance.

Chris.
06-14-2009, 04:23 PM
that's how I do my squats. :tu

DavenportESQ
06-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Squatting twice a week. Hitting Paralell

1 heavy low volume day

1 light high volume day

I have always been a big believer that you cannot put on big muscles without moving big weights

PeteSB75
06-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Right now I'm squatting 3 days a week, heavy every day. I go below parallel on my warm-up sets and to parallel on my work sets.

On a side note, I tweaked my left wrist yesterday, doing over/under on deads. Been sore all day. I iced it a couple of times. Tomorrow is my off day anyway, but I'll have to see how it feels for Tuesday's lifting. Hopefully it's not a problem.

DavenportESQ
06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Right now I'm squatting 3 days a week, heavy every day. I go below parallel on my warm-up sets and to parallel on my work sets.

On a side note, I tweaked my left wrist yesterday, doing over/under on deads. Been sore all day. I iced it a couple of times. Tomorrow is my off day anyway, but I'll have to see how it feels for Tuesday's lifting. Hopefully it's not a problem.

3 days a week all heavy? When do your legs recover?

icehog3
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I have taken creatine on and off regularly for awhile now, the only thing I have noticed is when I take it everyday consistently I carry an extra 5 lbs. which I assume is from water retention. But, with that said it's piss cheap so it's worth giving a chance.

I take it on and off because it seems to make me retain some water in my joints, and gives them (elbows and shoulders) a little relief on heavy cycles.

Wow...even when I was a big squatter before I played so much hockey, I never squatted more than twice a week, sometimes 3 times every 2 weeks. That is a lot of stress to recover from and make longterm gains.

nem
06-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Squatting twice a week. Hitting Paralell

1 heavy low volume day

1 light high volume day

I have always been a big believer that you cannot put on big muscles without moving big weights

I'm currently squatting twice a week. However, I do both squat workouts on the same day about 6-8 hours apart. Workout #1 would be heavy squats with double and triples (every now and then a single or two), not very much volume. Workout #2 would be light squats with 6-12 reps. About 12-15 sets, plus maybe some leg pressing and/or leg extensions if I have the energy. If I squat ass to the ass for the heavy first workout, I would hit parallel or do box squats for the lighter second workout as my hamstrings tend to get sore easily. If I squat to parallel for the heavy workout, I would do atg squats for the lighter second workout.

Right now I'm cutting down to reduce my body fat %. However I'm trying to maintain as much lean mass and strength as possible. I know it's good to mix things up to 'shock' my body, but I'm wondering if I'll better off if I only did parallel squats or atg squats given my goals.

nem
06-15-2009, 04:36 AM
I take it on and off because it seems to make me retain some water in my joints, and gives them (elbows and shoulders) a little relief on heavy cycles.

Are you taking creatine monohydrate, creatine ethyl ester or another form of creatine? Some folks think that creatine ethyl ester is just a marketing gimmick, but I know a couple of guys that swears that it causes virtually no water retention when compared to creatine monohydrate.

PeteSB75
06-15-2009, 06:44 AM

I seem to be doing pretty well, actually. I go every other day, doing three work sets of 5 reps each at or around my target weight. My hamstrings are pretty much always sore, but I've recovered enough by the time my next workout rolls around that I am able to push it again. I think spin and jogging on my non-lifting days helps with recovery - I stretch after every workout. I think I am getting close to plateau on this split, though. I will be changing it up within the next few weeks.

I've been following a two-day split for about a month and a half now. Squat, Press and Dead one day, Squat, Bench and Power Clean the other. Lifting Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. I've put on about 10lbs doing this over the last couple of months, though I'm sure about half of that is fat, since my diet has not been exemplary.

trader1974
06-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Woke up late this morning and almost talked myself out of going to the gym. Went in anyway though and hit my legs to start the week. First time I've done squats in a while but felt great.

DavenportESQ
06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=PeteSB75;423915]I seem to be doing pretty well, actually. I go every other day, doing three work sets of 5 reps each at or around my target weight. My hamstrings are pretty much always sore, but I've recovered enough by the time my next workout rolls around that I am able to push it again. I think spin and jogging on my non-lifting days helps with recovery - I stretch after every workout. I think I am getting close to plateau on this split, though. I will be changing it up within the next few weeks.

I've been following a two-day split for about a month and a half now. Squat, Press and Dead one day, Squat, Bench and Power Clean the other. Lifting Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. I've put on about 10lbs doing this over the last couple of months, though I'm sure about half of that is fat, since my diet has not been exemplary.[/QUOTE

Im not saying your wrong by any means if it works for you thats gravy.

3x5 isn't nearly enough work sets for me to make substantial gains and to feel a good workout. Even with a good warm up I feel like I am stronger on my 5th,6th,7th sets

Another idea would be to work in box squats..Especially if you are doing power clean and dead lifts...There are many correlations in gains of pulling strength from working box squats and safety squats.

The idea with box squats is that you have that relaxation and then the "clench" or gathering to get off the box.

The idea with safety squats is that you can do such extreme overloading that you get a heavier workout on the legs

Again, you know your body better than anyone these are just some things that worked for me and that I have learned/heard over the years

PeteSB75
06-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Im not saying your wrong by any means if it works for you thats gravy.

3x5 isn't nearly enough work sets for me to make substantial gains and to feel a good workout. Even with a good warm up I feel like I am stronger on my 5th,6th,7th sets

Another idea would be to work in box squats..Especially if you are doing power clean and dead lifts...There are many correlations in gains of pulling strength from working box squats and safety squats.

The idea with box squats is that you have that relaxation and then the "clench" or gathering to get off the box.

The idea with safety squats is that you can do such extreme overloading that you get a heavier workout on the legs

Again, you know your body better than anyone these are just some things that worked for me and that I have learned/heard over the years

I am moving enough weight at my current strength that 3 sets at 5 reps is enough that I am tired after. I have only been lifting for about 18mo. For quite a bit of that time, I was tooling around, doing various splits but without a real goal.

I've been following the Starting Strength workout, and I'm really just learning how my body responds to this stuff. Prior to this workout cycle, I'd not followed a single workout plan for long enough to really see it's effects. Right now, I'm feeling good and am starting to look for some more things to add in.

Doing some research on what I want to do from here, but I think it will be expanding my current workout a bit and incorporating a few more exercises. I've been reading Practical Programming for Strength Training, (Rippetoe and Kilgore, same authors as Starting Strength) and I think I'm going to be looking at their intermediate splits by the end of the month. I don't recall exactly what that incorporates, but I'll post it up after I get home and re-read that section. I am feeling the need for a change, however, as my progress has definitely slowed.

icehog3
06-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Are you taking creatine monohydrate, creatine ethyl ester or another form of creatine? Some folks think that creatine ethyl ester is just a marketing gimmick, but I know a couple of guys that swears that it causes virtually no water retention when compared to creatine monohydrate.

Mu current supplement contains creatine monohydrate, creatine malate and creatine taurinate.

I haven't tried the creatine ethyl ester, as the manufacturers who are marketing it aren't any of the names I necessarily trust. I am not sure if I would even be interested though, as for my purposes, the water retention in my joints is actually a desired effect.

What brands to your guys use, do you know?

The Professor
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Good upper back day today.

Triplex pulls from the ground -- from 135 to 315 (the 3 wide-grip sets were from the hang).

Barbell bent-over rows -- 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 6, 245 x 6, 275 x 5

Close-grip t-bar rows -- 3 pies x 8,6,5

Pull-down abs as part of warmup and cool down -- 4 x 10-12 @ 200

I felt real good today. My right ham is bothering me from racquetball; so I'm gonna take it easy on leg stuff for a while; but my lats, traps, and shoulders are feeling pretty good.

icehog3
06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Heavy shoulder day for me, strength keeps increasing on every lift every workout. Knock on wood. ;)

Starscream
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
After the weekend away with the family, I am drained and talked myself out of the gym today. Will have to double up and hit both legs, chest, and triceps tomorrow.

BigFrank
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Bench-445x1, first press was smoked, second one came down and back way too far I bailed on it.
That is all.

Sorry for the delay Pete, been a real ***** to get to the post office this week. And I also realized I am out of PM Boxes...

I bought a new gym bag, Sports Authority had a nice sale this weekend. UnderArmour bag retail at 55$ picked that and a pair of shorts up for 40 beans.

PeteSB75
06-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Bench-445x1, first press was smoked, second one came down and back way too far I bailed on it.
That is all.

Sorry for the delay Pete, been a real ***** to get to the post office this week. And I also realized I am out of PM Boxes...

I bought a new gym bag, Sports Authority had a nice sale this weekend. UnderArmour bag retail at 55$ picked that and a pair of shorts up for 40 beans.

No worries man. After I tweaked my wrist on Saturday, I popped over to sports authority and picked up some basic straps. I'll use them when I dead again on Thursday.

Good bench 190x4,4,2 (new PR) and good squat 315x5,5,5 this morning. My Power Clean was off, so I spent those sets working on my form - Talking to a guy there, and I'm apparently not exploding enough, using my arms too much. Still not sure that I've really got it down, tbh, so I'll work the form again next time I lift it.

trader1974
06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Managed to stumble out the door at 5:30 this morning. Had a great workout, hit chest and abs then did a short run on the treadmill. Great way to start the day.

The Professor
06-16-2009, 08:09 AM
chest and tris today. db flat bench, db incline, incline flyes, overhead rope extensions, press-downs. my traps were *killing* me from yesterday's triplex; so that made things interesting at points. ;)

happy lifting to all! :ze

Starscream
06-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Had to make up for lost time today. Legs, chest, and triceps today. I'm worn out...

icehog3
06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Lifted on my day off, did some arms and traps. Killer bicep workout.

Workouts, work and hockey tomorrow and Thursday...I should be worthless in the gym Friday. :r

nem
06-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Mu current supplement contains creatine monohydrate, creatine malate and creatine taurinate.

I haven't tried the creatine ethyl ester, as the manufacturers who are marketing it aren't any of the names I necessarily trust. I am not sure if I would even be interested though, as for my purposes, the water retention in my joints is actually a desired effect.

What brands to your guys use, do you know?

My guys order creatine ethyl ester from trueprotein.com. Unlike some creatine supplements which are blended with simple carbs, potassium, artificial flavors, etc., trueprotein.com's creatine ethyl ester is pure creatine ethyl ester and nothing else. So while the stuff tastes like complete crap and you'll have to mix dextrose/maltodextrin/etc. in yourself if you prefer your creatine served with simple carbs, it's also pretty affordable.

If I may ask, why are you looking to retain extra water in your joints?

PeteSB75
06-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Did a boxing aerobic class last night. Kicked my ass... :ze

The Professor
06-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Because he's like 82 years old and needs all the joint lubrication he can get. ;) :banger

Hmmmm.... :hm Perhaps I shouldn't say things like this days before I'm seeing the Admiral.

:lv

icehog3
06-17-2009, 08:29 AM
My guys order creatine ethyl ester from trueprotein.com. Unlike some creatine supplements which are blended with simple carbs, potassium, artificial flavors, etc., trueprotein.com's creatine ethyl ester is pure creatine ethyl ester and nothing else. So while the stuff tastes like complete crap and you'll have to mix dextrose/maltodextrin/etc. in yourself if you prefer your creatine served with simple carbs, it's also pretty affordable.

Because he's like 82 years old and needs all the joint lubrication he can get. ;) :banger

Hmmmm.... :hm Perhaps I shouldn't say things like this days before I'm seeing the Admiral.

:lv

Dokk isn't that far off base. I have been lifting heavy for 32 years, and when I am on the creatine my joints feel more "fluid" and I am able to lift heavier and more intensely because pain isn't so much a factor.

The Professor
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Yesterday sucked. Don't know what was wrong. :fl

Today ... in honor of Big Dave ... I did cUrLz 4 da Gur1Z. :ze :r Yeah ... tris, bis, and shoulders ... with lots of bis. :D Gotta get a pump for the MoB herf, after all. :tu

icehog3
06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Shoulders and arms for me too, Dokk....maybe we can have a posedown at the herf. :)

The Professor
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Shoulders and arms for me too, Dokk....maybe we can have a posedown at the herf. :)
I've only got one pose, Admiral: blob. :r :r :r

Chris.
06-19-2009, 08:55 AM
back chest and legs last night after work. Super setting all of it.

trader1974
06-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Started the week off strong, but with a sick kid the last two nights haven't been able to get in the gym for the last two mornings.:( Oh well, there's always next week!:)

Starscream
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Back and bis for me today. Plus 30 minutes on the elliptical.

PeteSB75
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Been off this week. Not sleeping well and sour stomach - too much stress. So I've not worked out at all since Tuesday. Got a Dewars tasting tonight at my local cigar club, so maybe I'll go tomorrow :ss

pnutbutrsangwich
06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I need to get back in the gym. I took a month off and now I'm totally lost. Would it be best to hire a trainer for a few sessions to get going or are there other online resources that can put together a good program for me?

Starscream
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I need to get back in the gym. I took a month off and now I'm totally lost. Would it be best to hire a trainer for a few sessions to get going or are there other online resources that can put together a good program for me?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/

icehog3
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Continued gains in strength on shoulders today, plus a good arm workout. I earned tomorrow off. :)

PeteSB75
06-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Continued gains in strength on shoulders today, plus a good arm workout. I earned tomorrow off. :)

What are the chances he actually takes it? :ss

icehog3
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
What are the chances he actually takes it? :ss

I know, Pete, but I actually will...got the Professor and DavenportESQ coming in early for the MOB Herf! :D

nem
06-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Dokk isn't that far off base. I have been lifting heavy for 32 years, and when I am on the creatine my joints feel more "fluid" and I am able to lift heavier and more intensely because pain isn't so much a factor.

You've been lifting heavy longer than I've been alive, sir! LOL.

Lately, my shoulders have been acting less than happy. I've contemplated seeing my doc, but there's no serious pain, and I'd rather not receive instructions to not bench for the next 6 months . . . However, I was wondering if you had any recommendations on what kind of supplements to take to improve shoulder health?

nem
06-22-2009, 05:18 AM

There are some very good and competent trainers out there, but the bulk of trainers that you will find at the big chain gyms (24, Bally's, LA, etc.) are only helpful if you've never stepped into a gym before and need basic instruction . . . especially given how much you'll be paying. Case in point, I recently went shopping for gym membership, and at this one gym I asked this chick (who was the office manager and a trainer) if members were allowed to do cleans. She had no idea what a clean was until I literally demonstrated the movement to her. Obviously, most trainers are more knowledgeable than her. However, too often will you see "master trainers" with little applicable knowledge despite having fancy degrees in kinesiology and what not.

If you need instruction on how to safely perform basic exercises, consider consulting a trainer for a few sessions. Otherwise, if you already know how to perform exercises and is just looking for a routine, you're better off looking at websites such as t-nation and bodybuilding.com (as it has already been advised). I also highly recommend the book "The Poliquin Principles: Successful Methods for Strength and Mass Development" by Charles Poliquin. It's a great text covering the fundamentals of weight training and more. I have an electronic copy of this book somewhere, so if you're interested, PM me and I'll dig it up for you.

PeteSB75
06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
You've been lifting heavy longer than I've been alive, sir! LOL.

Lately, my shoulders have been acting less than happy. I've contemplated seeing my doc, but there's no serious pain, and I'd rather not receive instructions to not bench for the next 6 months . . . However, I was wondering if you had any recommendations on what kind of supplements to take to improve shoulder health?

I can't speak to supplements. However, as far as shoulder pain goes, I had a persistent issue with it for some time. I solved it by changing the way I bench, taking a closer grip. I take the bar with my pinkys at the notch, or even just inside it, bringing the angle of the shoulder below parallel and elbows slightly closer to my body. It does change the bar path a bit, it winds up hitting my chest just below my nipples, but after months of daily discomfort, that small adjustment has made a world of difference.

Anyway, been feeling like crap lately, so decided I needed a full week off. Back tomorrow morning.

icehog3
06-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Some people swear by the Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM, Alex...I found that it helped a bit but took a long time to get enough in my system to make a difference.

Besides the creatine I find that the anti-inflammatory properties in Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) give me some relief.

Continuing with what Pete said, over the years I found that shortening up my range of motion on some chest and shoulder exercises heas been beneficial as well. I keep constant tension on the muscles being worked, but don't transfer as much stress to the tendons and ligaments of the shoulder joint. I have actually made better size gains as well since employing this method.

BigFrank
06-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Read and watch, this will explain a lot about benching and shoulder issue.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dave_tates_sixweek_bench_press_cure

As Dave Tate would say "You don't know how to ****ing bench."

icehog3
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Got back to the gym today after 2 days off....did chest, and ironically, my shoulder tie-in seems to be getting better.

Starscream
06-22-2009, 03:27 PM
35 min on the elliptical.
Shoulder work, then legs (quads, hamstrings, and calves).
Was proud of my self for doing calf raises at the 300 mark (on the leg press machine). Although that's chump change for most of you guys.

nem
06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't speak to supplements. However, as far as shoulder pain goes, I had a persistent issue with it for some time. I solved it by changing the way I bench, taking a closer grip. I take the bar with my pinkys at the notch, or even just inside it, bringing the angle of the shoulder below parallel and elbows slightly closer to my body. It does change the bar path a bit, it winds up hitting my chest just below my nipples, but after months of daily discomfort, that small adjustment has made a world of difference.

Anyway, been feeling like crap lately, so decided I needed a full week off. Back tomorrow morning.

Some people swear by the Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM, Alex...I found that it helped a bit but took a long time to get enough in my system to make a difference.

Besides the creatine I find that the anti-inflammatory properties in Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) give me some relief.

Continuing with what Pete said, over the years I found that shortening up my range of motion on some chest and shoulder exercises heas been beneficial as well. I keep constant tension on the muscles being worked, but don't transfer as much stress to the tendons and ligaments of the shoulder joint. I have actually made better size gains as well since employing this method.

Guys - Thanks for the helpful advice! My shoulder problems started about 2 years ago (probably due to excessive bench and shoulder pressing). I stopped shoulder pressing for a bit and went light on the bench, and things got better for a while. However, for the past half year or so I've been doing a lot of heavy doubles/triples in an effort to boost my bench. While my bench has definitely gone up, my left shoulder started acting up again. In the last month or so, I've been literally doing half as much weight as before but with a lot more volume (think 10 sets of 10 or 12, plus additional sets of cable crossovers, flys, etc.) to help myself recover. This combined with rotator cuff exercises at least every other day has improved things a bit. Though I still have some way to go. I agree with Tom that doing partials (not locking out is key!) are great for reducing shoulder stress and putting on mass (especially with a slow and steady eccentric phase). Likewise Pete is very much correct in utilizing a narrower grip which definitely reduces shoulder stress. Some folks also like to bench with dumbbells instead of barbells for reducing shoulder stress as it is evidently more biomechanically sound (greater range of motion as well, especially for incline).

nem
06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Read and watch, this will explain a lot about benching and shoulder issue.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dave_tates_sixweek_bench_press_cure

As Dave Tate would say "You don't know how to ****ing bench."

Thanks for the link. I've actually read this before. Absolutely great article! Now if only I had seen this 3 years ago . . . *doh*

BigFrank
06-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Some folks also like to bench with dumbbells instead of barbells for reducing shoulder stress as it is evidently more biomechanically sound (greater range of motion as well, especially for incline).

I disagree here, I personally think that using dumbbells offers a reduced range of motion, hence the "less stress on the shoulders" when in fact, the reduced range of motion allows people with poor form, to spare their shoulders i.e. elbows do not pass below bench. Also using Dumbbells forces people to stay close compared to going outrageously wide when barbell benching.
Also, one thing I have found with my change from bodybuilding to powerlifting is the focus on a strong upper back. Before, I like many others I had rotator cuff issues and problems with my shoulders. But with my focus ( twice a week now ) on upper back I have found that all pain is gone in rotator cuff and shoulders. Also pain in my elbows has all but gone too. I contribute this totally to hammering my upper back and rear delts like never before. Also, to add another point, I am using weight that I have never used before pushing the bounds of my lifts every week with no issues whatsoever. One would think that by using heavier weight my previous issues would resurface but they have not.
Final point, bench better and blast that upper back.

Here is a good article worth reading on the subject.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/upper_back_for_the_bench.htm

Tonights workout-
Bench-415x6 new pr.
Did a lot of Dips, and then 12 minutes of conditioning.

Chris.
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I also find it easier to bench with my thumb around the back of the bar along with my fingers, rather than around the opposite sides. This helps me tuck my elbows in and keep my back slightly arched. It has also kept my shoulder from hurting during the press.

PeteSB75
06-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I also find it easier to bench with my thumb around the back of the bar along with my fingers, rather than around the opposite sides. This helps me tuck my elbows in and keep my back slightly arched. It has also kept my shoulder from hurting during the press.

My problem there is that would make it too easy to slip off the bar, dropping it onto my chest.

Chris.
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
It does put a good bit of strain on my knuckles, but there is no fear of it slipping from my palms. it rests well above the wrists. In that video he is lifting with his hands the way I described.

PeteSB75
06-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Good, and extremely tiring workout this morning.

Squatted 315x5 for 3 sets, pressed 130x5/125x5,5 and deaded 275. Tying PRs for all three, but not going any heavier. I was beat enough at the end that I had a tough time getting the plates off the bar on the floor after the dead. Straps made a world of difference with the dead. Much more comfortable being able to do that with a normal grip and not feeling like I was about to drop the bar.

Missed the bottom step on the stairs on my way down from the weight area, messing about with my water bottle and notebook - my normal gym is on three floors. Twisted my knee a bit and landed with my foot sideways. Doesn't seem to be bothering me, aside from some slight soreness. Will see how it feels tomorrow.

nem
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I disagree here, I personally think that using dumbbells offers a reduced range of motion, hence the "less stress on the shoulders" when in fact, the reduced range of motion allows people with poor form, to spare their shoulders i.e. elbows do not pass below bench. Also using Dumbbells forces people to stay close compared to going outrageously wide when barbell benching.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. Some people don't go low enough when benching with dumbbells, but likewise, plenty of folks fail to touch their chest when benching with a barbell. The reason I feel that dumbbells facilitate a greater range of motion is because with a barbell, once the bar hits your chest, you aren't going to go any lower. On the other hand, it's possible to lower dumbbells ever further down. I've always felt a greater "stretch" when benching with dumbbells. I agree that keeping the dumbbells close (not using a wide grip) helps to reduce shoulder stress, but more importantly it's being able to grip the dumbbells at a slight angle, which has always felt more natural for me.

Also, one thing I have found with my change from bodybuilding to powerlifting is the focus on a strong upper back. Before, I like many others I had rotator cuff issues and problems with my shoulders. But with my focus ( twice a week now ) on upper back I have found that all pain is gone in rotator cuff and shoulders. Also pain in my elbows has all but gone too. I contribute this totally to hammering my upper back and rear delts like never before. Also, to add another point, I am using weight that I have never used before pushing the bounds of my lifts every week with no issues whatsoever. One would think that by using heavier weight my previous issues would resurface but they have not. Final point, bench better and blast that upper back.

Here is a good article worth reading on the subject.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/upper_back_for_the_bench.htm

Thanks for the advice and link! I definitely agree that working the upper back and lats will increase one's bench. However, I'm unfamiliar with most of the exercises in Wendler's article, so I'll definitely need to give them a try.

BigFrank
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
pulled tonight

555x5, tired and tired.
pull ups did some reps and sets
rows blah
hammer curls lame.
leg raises, more tiredness

PeteSB75
06-24-2009, 06:18 AM
pulled tonight

555x5, tired and tired.
pull ups did some reps and sets
rows blah
hammer curls lame.
leg raises, more tiredness

So, I take it you were tired? :ss

The Professor
06-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Took Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday off from the gym -- all for travel, except yesterday. I did mow in nasty hot and humid weather on Monday, thought. :r

Was just going to do cardio today; but once I got in there, I decided the cardio was just warmup. I just couldn't resist the weight room's siren song. :ze :D

Did DB flat bench, DB incline, partial triplex, some extra upright rows, and triceps (mostly overhead rope extensions). We'll see what I do tomorrow ... maybe just cardio, maybe not. ;)

icehog3
06-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Oh, the Siren's song.......the real men cannot resist. :tu

The Professor
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Oh, the Siren's song.......the real men cannot resist. :tu
I think that's the first time anyone has EVER inferred that I'm a "real" man. :dance: :r

elderboy02
06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I worked out on the elliptical yesterday. My boss (who is a physical therapist) showed me an exercise to do to work my upper back and neck.

icehog3
06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
I think that's the first time anyone has EVER inferred that I'm a "real" man. :dance: :r

With cows for calves, you are definitely a real man, Dokk. :tu

The Professor
06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
With cows for calves, you are definitely a real man, Dokk. :tu
:wo :wo :wo

PeteSB75
06-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Backed things off a bit this morning, ankle is still bothering me a bit, so I didn't push the weight. Did some squats, bench press, and chin-ups. Worked on my squat depth a bit, as I noticed I've been going to parallel or just above in my work sets, but below parallel in my warmup sets. So I did 275 for 3 sets of 5 (315 is my 5RM). Felt good. Good bench, but I was getting a bit tired. Did 3 sets of 5 chins. Haven't done those in a while. Need to work on them some...

icehog3
06-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Hope the ankle gets better soon, Pete. :tu

Day off for me....hockey tonight though.

King James
06-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Good Shoulder/back day for me this morning

PeteSB75
06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Hope the ankle gets better soon, Pete. :tu

Day off for me....hockey tonight though.

Thanks! Have fun checking the other kids into the walls :ss

Starscream
06-25-2009, 01:39 PM
30 min on the elliptical, then back and biceps yesterday. No gym today.

icehog3
06-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Have fun checking the other kids into the walls :ss

Men....boards. I'm just sayin', Pete. ;) :r

zonedar
06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Due to lots of work travel and a float trip (lots of arms chest and back rowing a boat though) hadn't been able to hit the gym as much as I've wanted the past few weeks.

Was able to get a good leg and bicep workout today. Back on schedule I hope.

Starscream
06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
How did this thread fall off the first page?!?
Bump.

Chest and triceps today.
I also played around a little bit too with biceps (machine curls: 3 sets of 10 at 35lbs) and calf raises (3 sets at 270).
Was worn out afterwards, so I cut back my cardio to 15min. on the elliptical machine.
Can't wait till tomorrow: leg day.

I've been hitting the gym for a month now, so my insecurities have worn off (not completely though). Don't feel nearly as awkward working out alone in front of lots of people as I did.:tu

zonedar
06-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Chest and Tri's for me too. Definitely felt not being in the gym regularly of late.

catfish2
06-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I had a real good chest/tri day on thursday, and a good shoulders/leg day today. Lately sometimes I have to really focus to stay on track.

Starscream
06-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Chest and Tri's for me too. Definitely felt not being in the gym regularly of late.
Chest was ok, but my triceps are sore for not working them the last workout like I should.
I had a real good chest/tri day on thursday, and a good shoulders/leg day today. Lately sometimes I have to really focus to stay on track.

Shoulders/legs for me tomorrow.

catfish2
06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I'll be workin' all day tomarrow.

Starscream
06-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Killed my legs today!

BigFrank
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
nailed 435x3 bench
pete Im sorry ive been slacking, gonna get u this week. I hope.
4sets of slackers for 15

Starscream
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
nailed 435x3 bench
4sets of slackers for 15
Triple H does reps of 400. You are the man, Frank!
Killed my legs today!

I've been doing 3 ssets of 10 squats at around 90lbs, but today I did 3 sets of 10 at 270.
Leg press at 270 too. Calf raises the same at 300.

I'm gaining fast on leg days, not so much on upper body days.

I guess that's why I love leg days.

I'm a friggin' weakling with my upper body.

King James
06-30-2009, 07:31 AM
chest/tris day in about an hour

PeteSB75
06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
nailed 435x3 bench
4sets of slackers for 15

No worries, man.

Dunno what has been up with me lately. Not been feeling it. Anyway, ok workout this morning, squats, press and dead (285x5 new PR). I need to work on my squat depth. I have a tendency to not go quite as far on the heavier sets. I think it's all in my head.

BigFrank
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
No worries, man.

Dunno what has been up with me lately. Not been feeling it. Anyway, ok workout this morning, squats, press and dead (285x5 new PR). I need to work on my squat depth. I have a tendency to not go quite as far on the heavier sets. I think it's all in my head.
Time to change it up. Maybe 3x a week; back chest legs?
Try box squats until you get 100% comfortable hitting depth.

PeteSB75
07-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Time to change it up. Maybe 3x a week; back chest legs?
Try box squats until you get 100% comfortable hitting depth.

It's all in my head I think. I can do full depth with no problems at 275, but I hesitate going all the way down at 315. I've dumped the bar off onto the rack before when I couldn't get out of the full squat and was no worse off for it. Think I'll try working up from 275 again, at full depth.

BigFrank
07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
It's all in my head I think. I can do full depth with no problems at 275, but I hesitate going all the way down at 315. I've dumped the bar off onto the rack before when I couldn't get out of the full squat and was no worse off for it. Think I'll try working up from 275 again, at full depth.I would definitely do some box squats then. This was my biggest issue when dealing with heavy weights.

The Professor
07-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I loaded and unloaded 14,000 pounds (each time) of my household contents this week. Does that count for anything? :r

Looking to start at a local gym next week -- probably the campus one. :hm

Kepp up the good work, folks! :ze

PeteSB75
07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I would definitely do some box squats then. This was my biggest issue when dealing with heavy weights.

Hmm, I'll have to see what is available as far as boxes go at my gym...

Chris.
07-02-2009, 09:56 AM
you can just use a flat bench instead of a box.

PeteSB75
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
you can just use a flat bench instead of a box.

Yeah, was thinking I'd grab one of the smith machine benches or maybe a chair.

PeteSB75
07-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Felt pretty good this morning. Didn't push weight on anything, just worked my sets and did good depth on my squats. I'm adjusting my form a little on my bench, so focused on that. Finished off with some rows.

catfish2
07-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Man my pecs and tris are trashed. I had what I call a mixed -up day today. That's where I do all my exercises completely different. Standing exercises are done sitting. Sitting exercises are done lying down. I mix the exercises up any way that I can think of, I'll do stuff upside down on my head if I have to. This hits the muscles from different angles from normal. My arms are tired now, I can't wait to see how they'll feel tomorrow.

PeteSB75
07-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Good workout this morning. Squats, focusing on depth again, so not pushing the weight. Then some presses and deads. Tied PR on the press, and new PR on the dead (295x3)

trader1974
07-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Woke up late, made myself go to the gym anyway. Glad I did, as always, felt good working on chest. Pushing my flat bench back up got 235x8, 255x4 and 275x1. Put in a decent run on the treadmill also, nice way to start the day!:)

icehog3
07-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Last two workouts today and tomorrow before I take 4 days off for SoCal. Gonna hit it hard.

GreekGodX
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Anybody do fasting cardio?? What are some opinions?? I've done some research on the topic and I'm thinking the risks of it outweigh potential benefits(if any). Anyone use fasting cardio and seen better results in fat loss over eating before doing cardio?

PeteSB75
07-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Anybody do fasting cardio?? What are some opinions?? I've done some research on the topic and I'm thinking the risks of it outweigh potential benefits(if any). Anyone use fasting cardio and seen better results in fat loss over eating before doing cardio?

If fat loss is your primary goal, lifting is substantially more effective than cardio. Lifting, your exercise burns calories and increases your ability to burn calories, and increases your BMR all at once. Cardio alone burns calories, but only for that day. When I was losing weight, I would lift and then go walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes after. I did no other cardio, just made sure I got to the gym 4-5 days a week and ate good food throughout the day so I wasn't hungry when I got home.

GreekGodX
07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
If fat loss is your primary goal, lifting is substantially more effective than cardio. Lifting, your exercise burns calories and increases your ability to burn calories, and increases your BMR all at once. Cardio alone burns calories, but only for that day. When I was losing weight, I would lift and then go walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes after. I did no other cardio, just made sure I got to the gym 4-5 days a week and ate good food throughout the day so I wasn't hungry when I got home.

Thanks for the input, but fat loss isn't my primary goal.. My primary goal is to gain muscle but I do not want to completely cut out cardio. I'm following the Dogcrapp philosophies and part of it is to do fasting, low intensity cardio. I want to burn excess fat without losing any muscle mass. Theory behind fasting cardio is that by putting your body in a fasting state the primary fuel will be fat and ketone bodies, rather then glucose. I just question the effectiveness considering your body needs more then 12 hours of fasting to reach a state where it is only using fat and ketone bodies as energy.

trader1974
07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Hit back and biceps this morn. Then a short run to top it off.:tu

Starscream
07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I haven't been to the gym in 8 days. One of the only drawbacks about vacation. Hopefully I'll get in there tomorrow to work on chest and triceps.

BigFrank
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Been doing more conditioning work last two weeks. Missed 615 for deadlift last night, tried it again and missed. Going to chalk that one up to a messed up weekend and crappy last two days.
Hope you guys are doing better than myself.

icehog3
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Pull that 615 next time, Frank! :tu :ze

Last workout today before SoCal and 4 days off....my body will need massive detoxification when I return!

PeteSB75
07-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Pull that 615 next time, Frank! :tu :ze

Last workout today before SoCal and 4 days off....my body will need massive detoxification when I return!

Try some green vibrance, Tom. It's cleaning the hell out of me right now...

PeteSB75
07-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input, but fat loss isn't my primary goal.. My primary goal is to gain muscle but I do not want to completely cut out cardio. I'm following the Dogcrapp philosophies and part of it is to do fasting, low intensity cardio. I want to burn excess fat without losing any muscle mass. Theory behind fasting cardio is that by putting your body in a fasting state the primary fuel will be fat and ketone bodies, rather then glucose. I just question the effectiveness considering your body needs more then 12 hours of fasting to reach a state where it is only using fat and ketone bodies as energy.

Let us know how it works out for you. The sort of results that have been reported on that website really make me question what sorts of chemicals are involved with that method.

PeteSB75
07-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Ok, third post in a row for me in this thread. Everyone taking the summer off?

Anyway, good weekend. Had some good lifts on Saturday. Squatting for depth, good bench, and some hang cleans - going back to try and fix my form on power cleans, so starting at the beginning again. Then I went to the beach to work on my sunburn. Sunday, went to spin. Good times.

BigFrank
07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I've been slacking on posting, sorry. Friday I bombed out 585. Then left the gym. Nothing occurred this weekend as far as lifting goes. Had some weird pains in my back last few weeks and the bomb out made them hurt worse so the next week is going to be a full week of rest. I think I will be less lazy and get Bao his routine done...Been slacking I know.

PeteSB75
07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I've been slacking on posting, sorry. Friday I bombed out 585. Then left the gym. Nothing occurred this weekend as far as lifting goes. Had some weird pains in my back last few weeks and the bomb out made them hurt worse so the next week is going to be a full week of rest. I think I will be less lazy and get Bao his routine done...Been slacking I know.

I'm not judging or criticizing. Please, the last three weeks, I've barely made it to the gym, only two days each week. Just been busy as hell. Guess everyone else has been as well :ss

Mugen910
07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I've been hitting the gym maybe 2-3x a week but don't post up since I go in just to toss light weights and get my heart pumping a bit faster.

Sancho
07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
havent been lifting hardly at all, just riding my singlespeed like a maniac. put about 300 on it so far this summer and an additional 500 on the mountain bike. I seem to be building muscle faster and losing weight doing this as opposed to regular gym trips so I must be doing something right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
First day back at the gym in two weeks.
Chest and tricep day. It definitely felt like I had two weeks off.:(

Starchild
07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I got back in the gym this week after taking most of last week off nursing a sore shoulder and calves. My workout consists of the Crossfit WOD.

Today was:
5 Pullups
10 Pushups
15 Air squats
as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes

I completed 9 rounds, with push-ups being the limiting factor.

PeteSB75
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Had a good workout today. Squats, Press and Deads. Squat was good, working on depth. pushing the weight up at full depth, even though I only hit 3 reps on my last set, it was 10lbs below my former max, and this one I feel better about, since it was full depth. Press was very good, new PR, 135x3. Started to try the fourth rep, as a push-press as I was getting tired, and almost dropped the bar on my head. Forgot my straps, so didn't up the weight on the deads, ran that a bit below my max (275 vs 295), doing two reps with hook grip and finishing the others over/under.

gorob23
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok I met Tom, Gerry had asleep over ;) I have seen what I am up against how come this isn't pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog and Gorob23 :confused: ok other than all those reason how come:r

Just doing a ride by:tpd:

Rob

zemekone
07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok I met Tom, Gerry had asleep over ;) I have seen what I am up against how come this isn't pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog and Gorob23 :confused: ok other than all those reason how come:r

Just doing a ride by:tpd:

Rob

Seriously?

gorob23
07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Seriously?

Did you see the way I threw those pans and eggs around! Seriously! :tpd:

Rob :tpd:

icehog3
07-14-2009, 05:01 PM

That was AWESOME! :D

DavenportESQ
07-14-2009, 09:43 PM

What the F? I missed it!!!:r

PeteSB75
07-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Spin this morning. Harry Potter tonight!

Starchild
07-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Did the Crossfit WOD this morning:

"Fight Gone Bad"

The CrossFit workout is ‘Fight Gone Bad.’ In this workout you spend one minute at each of five stations, resulting in a a five-minute round after which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. This event calls for three rounds. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of ‘rotate,’ the athletes must move to the next station immediately. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower, where each calorie is one point. The stations are:

Wall-ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull (Reps)
Box jump (Reps)
Push-press (Reps)
Row (Calories)

20# wall ball. The push press and Sumo was 75#. I scored 179. I improved from the last time we did this, but there is plenty of room for more.

gorob23
07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Seriously?

On the Bike yesterday and VB today, does that count:fu

Rob

zemekone
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
On the Bike yesterday and VB today, does that count:fu

Rob

of course it does...

ankle is still really sore...

swam 400m today...

The Professor
07-16-2009, 07:53 AM
first day back since the move -- almost 3 weeks off (and 2 weeks since unloading the truck); so I decided to take it easy.

Triplex pulls from the floor: from 135 up to 315
Landmines: 35 x 8, 40 x 7, 45 x 6
Pull-down abs: 100 x 10, 110 x 6, 100 x 9
DB rows: 85 x 10, 90 x 8

I feel like I'm forgetting something; but I might not be. It was kind of disorienting being in the new gym. I've gotta say, though: it's *definitely* a step up from my old gym in IL. That said, it's not quite the caliber of the UGA gym; but that was an exceptional facility.

Happy to be back! :tu :ze

PeteSB75
07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
first day back since the move -- almost 3 weeks off (and 2 weeks since unloading the truck); so I decided to take it easy.

Triplex pulls from the floor: from 135 up to 315
Landmines: 35 x 8, 40 x 7, 45 x 6
Pull-down abs: 100 x 10, 110 x 6, 100 x 9
DB rows: 85 x 10, 90 x 8

I feel like I'm forgetting something; but I might not be. It was kind of disorienting being in the new gym. I've gotta say, though: it's *definitely* a step up from my old gym in IL. That said, it's not quite the caliber of the UGA gym; but that was an exceptional facility.

Happy to be back! :tu :ze
Welcome back!:wo

icehog3
07-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Good to have you back in the fold, Dokk. :tu

The Professor
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Good to have you back in the fold, Dokk. :tu
the "fold"? :confused: is that a joke about my fat rolls? :hm

:r :r

icehog3
07-16-2009, 05:49 PM
the "fold"? :confused: is that a joke about my fat rolls? :hm

:r :r

Yours? What about mine? :r

The Professor
07-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Yours? What about mine? :r
You can't even *ask* that with a straight face. :r

My body is *definitely* feeling it from yesterday. I didn't drink nearly enough water throughout the day considering how warm it was and how much time I was outside. I really feel those triplex pulls all over. :r

Today I did push-pull -- chest (flat and incline DB) followed by 4 sets of BB rows. I also did some tri work (overhead rope extensions and press-downs). I thought about doing some biceps work; but I was outta gas after an hour.

I asked about a power rack today and there just isn't one. Not sure how I'm going to properly do rack pulls -- closest thing is a smith machine, which isn't close at all. I think this is the one fatal flaw of my gym ... and one that may lead me to seek out a membership elsewhere next month. :hm

icehog3
07-17-2009, 08:36 AM
No power rack? Wow....hard to believe at a gym that sounded fairly well-equipped.

The Professor
07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Tell me about it! 3 nice squat racks and all that nice HS plate loaded stuff -- but no PR is strange. No Oly platform, either; but that's less odd.
Posted via Mobile Device

PeteSB75
07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
My gym doesn't have a power rack either. Couple of squat racks is the best they can do. I can't argue the location, however. It's across the street from my apartment.

The Professor
07-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Joined a brand new LA Fitness today. It's not even open yet, actually -- not till the 24th. Only $25 a month each (guaranteed not to increase) and the "initiation fee" for me and the DrMS of $199 total. All the classes, yoga, etc are free for DrMS and they have squat racks and a cage all with adjustable arms, etc. There's also a pool, hot tub, racquetball courts, and more. Pretty good deal considering that the campus one is $27.50 and parking is a biotch.

icehog3
07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Cool Moe Dee, Dokk! :tu

I am taking tomorrow off for the LCdA Herf, back to business Sunday.

PeteSB75
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Mine is an LA fitness as well. Pretty good, good classes, but getting to be in need of some remodeling.

Good lifts this morning. Bench, Squat and Hang Cleans. Good depth on the squat at 305, and a good bench at 190 (tie PR). I still think I might not be doing the damn cleans right.

BigFrank
07-18-2009, 12:50 PM
a lot of people do rack pulls from blocks or something on the floor. You could stack maybe 4-5 45's and do below the knee rack pulls. Personally I think that rack pulls are decent if you have some lower body ( hamstring issues ) and don't want to drop a lot of pulling power while you are rehabbing an injury . Different trains of thought on this.
But I am a big believer in never straying from the Big 3. Pull from the floor, bench from a flat bench and squat to parallel. After you do those, than for some assistance you can do something else. Just my two cents.
Mine is an LA fitness as well. Pretty good, good classes, but getting to be in need of some remodeling.

Good lifts this morning. Bench, Squat and Hang Cleans. Good depth on the squat at 305, and a good bench at 190 (tie PR). I still think I might not be doing the damn cleans right. good article on cleans
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_master_the_power_clean

side note 6th day off, going back mon. i feel like a bum but hope this will help.

gorob23
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Gerry said I couldn't post here ( yea like I care :rolleyes: ) Played Volleyball yesterday 4 games rode bike home watching the sunset. Today took on all the hills I came to when I rode PV . I'm sore tired and going to bed:fu

zemekone
07-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Gerry said I couldn't post here ( yea like I care :rolleyes: ) Played Volleyball yesterday 4 games rode bike home watching the sunset. Today took on all the hills I came to when I rode PV . I'm sore tired and going to bed:fu

good job rob!

icehog3
07-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Rob

good job rob!

Yeah, good job Rob! And screw that Gerry guy!!! :fu

;) :r

zemekone
07-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, good job Rob! And screw that Gerry guy!!! :fu

screw that guy gerry, hes mad cuz he small

chest day:
100lb dumbell 4sets of 10
100 dips with 90lbs strapped to my waist
farmer walks 5 sets 20 yards 110lb dumbells

swam 200 meters

yes im back and yes im angry...

12 weeks from my next tournament...

real angry... :mad:

Starscream
07-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Back, biceps, and abs today, plus 20 min. of cardio.
The new gym sounds great, Dokk. The only one we have in our town doesn't have much and I have to pay $45 a month. They have the monopoly here.

The Professor
07-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Back, biceps, and abs today, plus 20 min. of cardio.
The new gym sounds great, Dokk. The only one we have in our town doesn't have much and I have to pay $45 a month. They have the monopoly here.
Yeah ... $30-35 is probably more normal. I'm lucking out with $25 a month because they want to get their numbers up before they open. :)

No gym for me today; although, I did buy a new gym bag. :dance:

icehog3
07-19-2009, 02:33 PM
screw that guy gerry, hes mad cuz he small

chest day:
100lb dumbell 4sets of 10
100 dips with 90lbs strapped to my waist
farmer walks 5 sets 20 yards 110lb dumbells

swam 200 meters

yes im back and yes im angry...

12 weeks from my next tournament...

real angry... :mad:

You are kicking ass, My Brother...in the gym, and in about 12 weeks on the mat. :tu

The Professor
07-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Still trying to find my rhythm....

Triplex pulls from the ground: 135 to 315

Deads (sumo): 315 x 5, 365 x 1

Wide-grip deads from a box: 225 x 8, 225 x 6

Deads (conventional): 225 x 10

Pull-down abs: 100 x 10, 105 x 9, 110 x 8

Pullthroughs: 200 x 10, 205 x 10, 210 x 9, 215 x 9, 220 x 6 (ran out of gas is all)

Probably should be doing more on the triplex. I'm finding my grip, after the almost month-long break, to be problematic. I'd train it with some rack pulls; but can't in this gym. :rolleyes: Oh well -- I'll get started on it next week at the new gym. :)

The Professor
07-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Got a question for any o the big guys who do pullthroughs: If (a) the stack only goes up to 200, (b) there's only space to add four 5lb weights on top of the stack, and (c) there isn't really the room to add a plate behind the pin securing the stack, how do you do heavier pullthroughs?

Actually ... I just got thinking: maybe there's another machine somewhere in the gym that has a heavier stack and a low cable. :hm

PeteSB75
07-20-2009, 07:10 AM
a lot of people do rack pulls from blocks or something on the floor. You could stack maybe 4-5 45's and do below the knee rack pulls. Personally I think that rack pulls are decent if you have some lower body ( hamstring issues ) and don't want to drop a lot of pulling power while you are rehabbing an injury . Different trains of thought on this.
But I am a big believer in never straying from the Big 3. Pull from the floor, bench from a flat bench and squat to parallel. After you do those, than for some assistance you can do something else. Just my two cents.
good article on cleans
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_master_the_power_clean

side note 6th day off, going back mon. i feel like a bum but hope this will help.
Thanks Frank. I'll read through that today. Off day for me today, spin yesterday. :wo Now if the damn gym would just fix the AC in the spin room, I'd be happy...

zemekone
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
talk to Dokk right before i walked into the gym...

:mad:deadlift day:mad:

deadlift (conventional)
135lbs 1x25
225lbs 2x15
315lbs 2x10
365lbs 1x6
405lbs 1x4
465lbs 1x2
500lbs 1x1 PR @ current weight

pull throughs
100lbs 2x25

hanging leg raises
100 reps

pretty decent for someone is 168lbs :tu

yes im still out for revenge...

The Professor
07-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice job on the PR, Ger-bear!!! :wo

DavenportESQ
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
talk to Dokk right before i walked into the gym...

:mad:deadlift day:mad:

deadlift (conventional)
135lbs 1x25
225lbs 2x15
315lbs 2x10
365lbs 1x6
405lbs 1x4
465lbs 1x2
500lbs 1x1 PR @ current weight

pull throughs
100lbs 2x25

hanging leg raises
100 reps

pretty decent for someone is 168lbs :tu

yes im still out for revenge...

Very nice! Only 4 pounds away from triple body weight!

icehog3
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Great pull, Gerry! :tu :D

Had a rather kickass chest day myself. :)

BigFrank
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Got a question for any o the big guys who do pullthroughs: If (a) the stack only goes up to 200, (b) there's only space to add four 5lb weights on top of the stack, and (c) there isn't really the room to add a plate behind the pin securing the stack, how do you do heavier pullthroughs?

Actually ... I just got thinking: maybe there's another machine somewhere in the gym that has a heavier stack and a low cable. :hm
If your going to go heavy do good mornings. To me pull throughs should be something higher rep range, with significantly lighter weight. IMMO doing them with a full stack is stupid and I'm sure form is out the ****ing window.

Thanks Frank. I'll read through that today. Off day for me today, spin yesterday. :wo Now if the damn gym would just fix the AC in the spin room, I'd be happy...
np

Reset routine today.
375x10 Bench
dropped 6 pounds from taking a week off.
245lbs.

zemekone
07-20-2009, 10:49 PM
just got back from the pool...

200m...

The Professor
07-21-2009, 05:00 AM
If your going to go heavy do good mornings. To me pull throughs should be something higher rep range, with significantly lighter weight. IMMO doing them with a full stack is stupid and I'm sure form is out the ****ing window.

Tell my how you really feel, Frank. :r

While good mornings should certainly be added back into my regular rotation (they were there for a time), I'm not sure about your reasoning that form would be out the window at higher weight on pull throughs (especially if your putting your full posterior chain into the movement). I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'm just trying to understand. :tu

longknocker
07-21-2009, 05:19 AM
just got back from the pool...

200m...

So, Gerry, do you ever "Work" or just work out?:D:tu Congrats on the Poundage, Bro!:tu

PeteSB75
07-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Squat, press and dead today. I'm getting stale, need to switch things up. Not making gains on any lifts.

Starchild
07-21-2009, 08:09 AM
This is a rest week in our Crossfit rotation, which means we go light on the weight and work more on form.

Yesterday:
800m run
1000m row
3x30 sec handstands
3x30 lying shoulder rotations
Then we worked on snatch form with just the bar

Today:
Beach workout! Pretty much did about 300 air squats between front, back, and OH.