PDA

View Full Version : Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Chris.
03-13-2010, 09:10 AM
LOL at taking his Plifting card! All I've been doing(so I can meet my immediate weight loss goals) lately is cardio and chest/abs/back. Cardio is at least 45 minutes of running. I haven't been in a couple weeks because I keep getting a cold somehow, and I feel like a slob. :(

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
but ... but ... but ...

I did do all those weighted crunches, too. ;)
I demand a fastfood stop on the way home from the store.

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
LOL at taking his Plifting card! All I've been doing(so I can meet my immediate weight loss goals) lately is cardio and chest/abs/back. Cardio is at least 45 minutes of running. I haven't been in a couple weeks because I keep getting a cold somehow, and I feel like a slob. :(
That's a good bit of running for weight loss. Might wanna do a few days of low intensity cardio rather than balls out running. But with that said if you are feeling under the weather take time off from the gym allow your body to heal. Dragging yourself in while not 100% sometimes can be worse for you. Gauge yourself listen to your body. When in doubt eat!!!!

DBall
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Not trying to sound like a dick here but, looking at your leg training and training for the day, you may have went balls out in your book but not in most. It was a decent total bodyworkout but there could have been more. I would maybe start training legs on its own day, with more volume and weight. You would be surprised the punishment your legs can take.

I wasn't really too tired on legs yesterday and probably could've kept going... it was the rest of my body that was done.

The other thing to note is that I go alone... been in the gym for a total of only almost 1 month ever in my life, and have no one really showing me what to do when I'm there... I'm kinda just ****ing around with machines and hoping I am using them right. I read all this great info here and all, but I learn best by seeing and mimicking...

The Professor
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I demand a fastfood stop on the way home from the store.
I think I can comply with that. Is a juicy burger satisfactory?

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I think I can comply with that. Is a juicy burger satisfactory?
double chicken burrito extra sour cream.

The Professor
03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
double chicken burrito extra sour cream.
oooh ... that sounds delightful. um ... I'm not sure where to get it close to me, though. maybe the Bell?

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I wasn't really too tired on legs yesterday and probably could've kept going... it was the rest of my body that was done.

The other thing to note is that I go alone... been in the gym for a total of only almost 1 month ever in my life, and have no one really showing me what to do when I'm there... I'm kinda just ****ing around with machines and hoping I am using them right. I read all this great info here and all, but I learn best by seeing and mimicking...
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
check this site out its pretty decent. I've always lifted with people especially early on. But with that said, not everyone can be a good teacher. I would stick to the basic and not get too crazy. That is where everyone fails. They want a super complex program with a bunch of **** they dont need. I've seen people make more gains doing 4 basic exercises and minor assistance work than a lot of people. This goes for strength and size gains. Only advice I can give you with respect to lifting along, is try and learn as much as you can. Be a sponge. Watch, read, learn. If you have a video camera you can always tape yourself working out and myself and the other brothers would be more than willing to give you help. Anything goes in here Dan. Any question, any help.

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 10:37 AM
oooh ... that sounds delightful. um ... I'm not sure where to get it close to me, though. maybe the Bell?

Ive got a Qdoba and a Five guys 5 min away right next to each other so....The bell isnt bad. I usually do 2 quesilldillas(sp?) and chicken tacos or beef. I usually chug a protein shake after eating because the protein quality probably isnt the best. I would just get something good and chug the shake.

The Professor
03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Ive got a Qdoba and a Five guys 5 min away right next to each other so....The bell isnt bad. I usually do 2 quesilldillas(sp?) and chicken tacos or beef. I usually chug a protein shake after eating because the protein quality probably isnt the best. I would just get something good and chug the shake.
went and got one at Chipotle, Frank. :tu with guac, too. :dr

Chris.
03-13-2010, 12:13 PM
That's a good bit of running for weight loss. Might wanna do a few days of low intensity cardio rather than balls out running. But with that said if you are feeling under the weather take time off from the gym allow your body to heal. Dragging yourself in while not 100% sometimes can be worse for you. Gauge yourself listen to your body. When in doubt eat!!!!

They way I do it is run the full first mile at about 5.5-6 mph then walk until my chest isn't about to explode anymore, then run another .25-.5 then walk and repeat for up to 45 minutes. This is usually not on the same day as weight training. I'm also on a special K type diet. Lots of grilled chicken and steamed veggies in my dinners.

I forgot to mention that I've lost about 12 pounds in the last two months doing this. 25 more ad I'll be back to strength training.

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 01:01 PM
went and got one at Chipotle, Frank. :tu with guac, too. :dr
mmmm mmmmmm I'm going to a mexican restaurant tonight. Its gonna be fun!
They way I do it is run the full first mile at about 5.5-6 mph then walk until my chest isn't about to explode anymore, then run another .25-.5 then walk and repeat for up to 45 minutes. This is usually not on the same day as weight training. I'm also on a special K type diet. Lots of grilled chicken and steamed veggies in my dinners.

I forgot to mention that I've lost about 12 pounds in the last two months doing this. 25 more ad I'll be back to strength training.
I would try doing that 2 times a week and 3 times a week do steady state cardio. Dont know much about the Special K diet. But chicken and veggies is a cant go wrong. Eating clean will normally do wonders in and of itself.

Chris.
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Special K diet is a bowl of cereal for breakfast and lunch with a snack between them and another snack before a typical dinner.

BigFrank
03-13-2010, 01:57 PM
and that's it? I don't know about that diet. Sounds kind of empty to me.

Chris.
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Pretty much. Its really just a weight loss diet. I tend to swap the order and have a normal lunch then cereal for dinner instead. It's hard for me to follow other types of low carb, high protein and vice versa diets, so this one has been pretty easy for me and works pretty well.

PeteSB75
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
No lifting this weekend for me. Spin yesterday and today. Off tomorrow, get to sleep in a little...

BigFrank
03-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Same for me Pete. Just been eating my balls off. Sleeping a ton too. Back to the grind monday.

icehog3
03-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Back day today...did some rowing for the first time since messing up my lower back a couple weeks ago. Stayed light, only went up to 245 for barbell rows....feels fine tonight, think I am ready to row.

BigFrank
03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Squat Session Tonight
480x5,5,5,5
Lock Outs 650 x 5
Leg Press
GHR
Abs
Calves

Spent...

GreekGodX
03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm working on bringing up my shoulders. 6x3 reps of 90lbs on DB Shoulder press, 4x3 of 165 on push press and 3x3 165 on seated overhead press. I found the seated pressing to be much easier than standing, which makes no sense to me. I'd figure a push press (using some legs) would be easier but it wasn't :hm

The Professor
03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm working on bringing up my shoulders. 6x3 reps of 90lbs on DB Shoulder press, 4x3 of 165 on push press and 3x3 165 on seated overhead press. I found the seated pressing to be much easier than standing, which makes no sense to me. I'd figure a push press (using some legs) would be easier but it wasn't :hm
maybe you're arching your back too much and basically making the seated press an incline bench press. :hm

Chris.
03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Squat Session Tonight
480x5,5,5,5
Lock Outs 650 x 5
Leg Press
GHR
Abs
Calves

Spent...

I would have been spent after TRYING to get 480 off the rack! Well done sir!:banger

I did legs for the first time tonight in two months. I'm already hurtin. LOL

The Professor
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Squat Session Tonight
480x5,5,5,5
Lock Outs 650 x 5
Leg Press
GHR
Abs
Calves

Spent...
looking good, frank. :tu

today was nothing special (chest). tomorrow is back. :D

BigFrank
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Second what Dokk said. Do em standing to avoid doing an incline press. That's what I do at least.

We talking bring them up strength or size wise? Let me know. I got a couple of good tips either way.

The Professor
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Second what Dokk said. Do em standing to avoid doing an incline press. That's what I do at least.

We talking bring them up strength or size wise? Let me know. I got a couple of good tips either way.
Gimme the strength tips, Frank. :D Shoulders are a weakness for me ... and they're delicate. I could use a good shoulder workout for Thursday. :tu

GreekGodX
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM

Bring them up primarily for size. Definitely lacking there.

You guys might be right on me arching my back too much. I'll try changing my form on the next lift.
Posted via Mobile Device

PeteSB75
03-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Tried to do some legs this morning. Thought my back was good, it's been 2 1/2 weeks since I tweaked it and it's not been bothering me at all for about a week. Anyway, I wasn't able to go heavy at all, as it started to bother me at 225. I backed down and did a couple more sets at 185, checking my form. I notice I don't always come straight up out of the bottom and wonder if that is causing this issue. Anyway, did some deads, again stayed light, then finished up with some ab work and a load of stretching. Spin tomorrow.

The Professor
03-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Back attack for the Admiral. :salute:

Warmup/stretch

1-arm HS low-rows: 1p x 20, 2p x 12, 3p x 10, 3.5p x 8, 4p x 8 (strapped in from here on out), 4.5p x 6, 5p x 4

Old skool t-bars: 2p x 12, 3p x 12, 4p x 10, 5p x 7 (I might have been strapped in here, my hands were killing), 6p x 3 (strapped ... and my hands still hurt)

Bent-over rows: 185 x 8, 225 x 7 x 3 sets

1-arm stability ball DB rows (hard as sh*t to stay on the damn ball): 70 x 8,8,10

HS high-rows: 2.5p x 10, 2.75p x 8, 3p x 6

Tried some pull-ups; but my lats were fried

A bunch of cable curls ... 1-arm and 2-arm w/a cambered bar

1-arm underhand grip 30-second (goal) pause pull-downs: 100 (30), 110 (25), 120 (20)

I'm hungry. :r

icehog3
03-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Way to Row, Dokk! :tu

The Professor
03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Way to Row, Dokk! :tu
Thanks, Admiral. :D

BigFrank
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Gimme the strength tips, Frank. :D Shoulders are a weakness for me ... and they're delicate. I could use a good shoulder workout for Thursday. :tu
Strength wise I would just stick to standing mil presses. Start using heavier weight and get a little leg drive in the press. Almost like a cheater. Heavy ass front raises too help.
Bring them up primarily for size. Definitely lacking there.

You guys might be right on me arching my back too much. I'll try changing my form on the next lift.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would start with heavy ass laterals. Im talking heavy. 4 sets maybe even 5. Then move right to Presses. Standing or seated keep your back straight. No incline benching horse ****. Front raises should be next. You can skip rear delt action, it's really up to you. ( I would save rear delts for another day, isolating them can be a pain, and I would recommend working them on a day when they arent used much at all ) When your done with the front raises move onto lateral machine and bust out 20+ reps. If your not cooked after this. Then bust out a set of painful shoulders. Here is how they go: Grab a set of dumbells dont go grabbing heavy ones im talking 20 maybe 25's tops. 10-15 reps side laterals, 10-15 reps front raises 10-15 reps shoulder presses put em down. No rest between sets on those. Some times I would alternate doing cable work instead of dumbbell work, front raises and laterals seemed to benefit the most from resistance in the negative portion of the motion. To finish off some jacked shoulders do some yoke building work. Hang Cleans superset with some shrugs super set with behind the back shrugs. Afterwards, your range of motion should be shot and anything weighing more than 1 lb should hurt to pick up. Take two ibueprofen and call me in the morning hahahahah!!!!

The Professor
03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Strength wise I would just stick to standing mil presses. Start using heavier weight and get a little leg drive in the press. Almost like a cheater. Heavy ass front raises too help.

what kind of reps/sets are we talkin', Frank?

PeteSB75
03-17-2010, 06:51 AM

I dunno about Frank, but I'd go with 85% 1RM and do 3 or 4 sets of 5 reps. Good luck with that. It's one of my tough spots as well. If you get into the set and think you might not be able to finish straight, add a little push press to get the bar moving.

The Professor
03-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Thanks, Pete.

"Off" day for me -- 10min cardio, assisted pull-ups, t-bar @ 2px12 & 3px10x3sets, pull-down abs @ 180# for 10x5sets, cable rope crunches @ 180# for 15+15+20+15

Going to jiu-jitsu tonight. :su

PeteSB75
03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks, Pete.

"Off" day for me -- 10min cardio, assisted pull-ups, t-bar @ 2px12 & 3px10x3sets, pull-down abs @ 180# for 10x5sets, cable rope crunches @ 180# for 15+15+20+15

Going to jiu-jitsu tonight. :su
Glad to help.

Oh yeah, spin this morning :D I need to drop 20-25 lbs in the next 4 months. :td Think I might be giving up drinking for a while.

Chris.
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Dude cutting out sweet snacks has made a world of difference in weight loss for me. I don't how many cookies etc you eat but I would have some Oreos or something every other day. It was killing my weight loss strategy.

PeteSB75
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Dude cutting out sweet snacks has made a world of difference in weight loss for me. I don't how many cookies etc you eat but I would have some Oreos or something every other day. It was killing my weight loss strategy.

I stopped with sweets a bit over 2 years ago. Along with other dietary changes and starting to work out, I dropped about 40lbs (-50 fat, +10 muscle) over 6 months or so, down to 235. Since then I'm back up to 255-260, about 8-10lbs is muscle, the rest not so much. I want to cut the recent fat gains, along with, hopefully, some additional. We shall see. If I can get back to 235, I'd be happy with that, but 225 would be better.

Chris.
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Yea I've gone from 225 to 209 since dropping sweets. Trying to get to 180-190

BigFrank
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Like any other strength builder 5 or less pyramid up.

PeteSB75
03-18-2010, 06:59 AM
chest/arms this morning. Bench, incline, curls, dips. Good stuff. Heavy, but not 1RM heavy.

The Professor
03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Like any other strength builder 5 or less pyramid up.
did it. my shoulders suck. only got to 155 for 4, 5, 3. :( did some front raises, rear delt work, traps, grip, etc. today, too.

jiu-jitsu was awesome last night, though. I think I'm gonna join up and work that hard until the summer, when I'll start bulking again.

BigFrank
03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Benched last night
365x8,8
inclines
close grip pause
lock outs 525x5,5
Pressdowns

Triceps = Swollen

That was about it for me last night. Ate some pizza today, having a few beers and relaxing. Beautiful day here.

The Professor
03-20-2010, 07:27 AM
yesterday was a pretty active day for me. started with BJJ. when I got to the academy, it was just me, coach, and one other guy -- a blue belt. needless to say, it was an intense 90 minutes in which I got thoroughly manhandled.

after that, I proteined up, rested a little, and decided to head to the gym for a recovery session consisting of chins, high-rep deads (no thumb in grip), "yes-nos" (to work the inner thighs), ham curls (with pause and without pause), farmer's walks (no thumb in grip), one-arm underhand pull-down w/pause (for 30 seconds or so), and lots of stretching.

after that, I proteined up again, went home, and decided it would be a good time to mow the lawn since I was already sweaty. :r

woke up this morning I feel like someone used my neck as a handle to throw me around ... then I realized, someone did. :r I am a sore little unicorn who is glad to have the weekend off. :tu

icehog3
03-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Pretty active day, Dokk. :tu

I am hitting the gym early so I can eat, nap and eat before my playoff game tonight.

PeteSB75
03-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Damn Dokk, you are turning into a maniac. :su

just spin for me this morning, followed by a 2 egg/3 egg white omelette with a little cheddar and prosciutto and a couple pieces of wheat toast. I think I need to eat more egg whites. Maybe just put em in my shakes in the morning...

icehog3
03-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Did a heavy, short delt workout today. Militarys, seated dumbbell militarys and some machine work to finish. Put off traps until tomorrow to be certain my lower back was not tight for my Finals game tonight.

BigFrank
03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Damn Dokk, you are turning into a maniac. :su

just spin for me this morning, followed by a 2 egg/3 egg white omelette with a little cheddar and prosciutto and a couple pieces of wheat toast. I think I need to eat more egg whites. Maybe just put em in my shakes in the morning...

egg whites are like 4g protein. I usually do a 4:1 ratio. 2 whole should be followed by 8 whites. one of the reason I do not eat eggs often. Eating a dozen eggs is SO much food.

icehog3
03-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Lost our game, after a 10 minute overtime, in a shootout.

I am going to get up early and punish myself at the gym to douse my shame. ;)

BigFrank
03-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Then follow it up with a victory burrito.

PeteSB75
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Spin again for me today, off tomorrow. Just had some chobani with some granola and an apple. Very tasty.

BigFrank
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Rough Squatting and Pull tonight.
510x4(missed on 5th),5,4(missed on 5th)
Pull off 8 mats
505x5,5

No speed on the squatting tonight was totally gassing me. I was just squatting extremely slow. All in all a good workout, hit some sticking points and worked my way through. Bit pissed I didnt hit my numbers. Excuses can be made, next time just gonna have to smash the weights.

icehog3
03-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I know you will smash 'em, Frank! :tu

GreekGodX
03-23-2010, 03:56 AM
Damn right, Frank! :su

PeteSB75
03-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Pretty good lifts this morning. Made sure I did a good warm-up and stretching before doing a little pulling and a little squatting. No tweaking of the back, which was very good. Kept the weights at 60-65% as I've not done either exercise heavy for about a month. Followed up with some ab work and more stretching.

The Professor
03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Was sick yesterday but went to the gym anyway. Crushed some 21s on bench (wide, regular, and narrow) with more speed than I've ever done. Three weeks ago, I couldn't even hit 18s; so things are definitely improving. :) Also hit about 40 assisted pull-ups and 20 or 30 assisted dips. HS inclines (1-arm) and pushups were in the mix toward the end, too.

That said, I started feeling pretty pukey and gassed after about 45 minutes. Went home, puked, and slept basically the entire day ... which means I missed jiu-jitsu, too. :td

Decided to sleep in today and I'm feeling much better. Will probably the gym tonight and BJJ tomorrow morning. :tu

icehog3
03-23-2010, 07:42 AM
I will do some T-Bars for you this morning, Dokk. ;)

The Professor
03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
I will do some T-Bars for you this morning, Dokk. ;)
Thank you, Admiral. Today's supposed to my my back day, so that'd be greatly appreciated. :tu

LasciviousXXX
03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Haven't been to the gym in a couple months. Life's been busy and hectic so I've been focusing on other things.

Started P90X yesterday and got thrashed by it!!!
Sore as hell today, only went 2 rounds with the heavy-bag today. Day 2 starts tonight.

icehog3
03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Hit back today, and cut my rest between sets in half....really took its toll by the end.

T-Bar rows to 6 plates (heaviest set was brutal)

Barbell rows to 295 (gassed by this time, only got 8 reps with 295)

Pulls ups to failure (Able to get 12, 12, 11, 10, 10 before giving up)

Cable pulldowns/cable rows (as heavy as I could still grip). :r

PeteSB75
03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Hit back today, and cut my rest between sets in half....really took its toll by the end.

T-Bar rows to 6 plates (heaviest set was brutal)

Barbell rows to 295 (gassed by this time, only got 8 reps with 295)

Pulls ups to failure (Able to get 12, 12, 11, 10, 10 before giving up)

Cable pulldowns/cable rows (as heavy as I could still grip). :r

Your back days make me feel like a girly man. :tf

LasciviousXXX
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Tom's non-workout days make me feel like that.

icehog3
03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Your back days make me feel like a girly man. :tf

Back and bi's are my strong point, Pete...if only I was as strong on chest! :(

Tom's non-workout days make me feel like that.

"Don't underestimate yourself, Judge...you're a tremendous slouch". ;) :r

Love ya Brother.

The Professor
03-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the extra reps for me, Admiral. :tu

Getting back into activity tomorrow with some jiu-jitsu in the AM. I'll hit back on Thursday. :su

icehog3
03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the extra reps for me, Admiral. :tu

Getting back into activity tomorrow with some jiu-jitsu in the AM. I'll hit back on Thursday. :su

Legs and delts for me manana, traps if I have time.

Hoping to get some ice time next week too to keep me in game shape.

The Professor
03-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Pulled my groin a little in BJJ today. Anyone have any good stretches or remedies t speed the healing process?

Shoulders and rows tomorrow. :wo

GreekGodX
03-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Really hitting shoulders :) Seated shoulder press, High incline bench press, Push Press, and Heavy shrugs. The shrugs made me want to re-think my position on getting wrist wraps to help hold the bar. I've been looking at ATP and elitefts.com and I might pull the trigger on some.

Then I got a massage :)

icehog3
03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't stretch the groin too much when I have a strain, Dokk, just seems to aggravate it more. A little ice, a little Aleve, a little rest is my remedy.

Tore shoulders up too, Christos, went heavy on militarys, seated dumbbell presses, some Smith machine seated presses, then barbell amd dumbbell shrugs.

BigFrank
03-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Really hitting shoulders :) Seated shoulder press, High incline bench press, Push Press, and Heavy shrugs. The shrugs made me want to re-think my position on getting wrist wraps to help hold the bar. I've been looking at ATP and elitefts.com and I might pull the trigger on some.

Then I got a massage :)
I use these wraps
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=139&m=PD&pid=3018
They get almost cast like when wrapped tight, but if you like em loose they work perfect also. Almost like a hybrid wrap.

icehog3
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
You looking for wrist wraps, or straps, Christos?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=114&m=PD&pid=3021

PeteSB75
03-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Light bench and incline today, followed up with some arm work, curls and dips. Realized this morning that they have all the clocks in my gym set 5 minutes fast...

The Professor
03-25-2010, 08:01 AM
effed up my back bad today. :mad:

PeteSB75
03-25-2010, 08:04 AM
effed up my back bad today. :mad:

That's no good man. Be especially careful getting back. What happened?

The Professor
03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
t-bar rows. was still pretty light for me -- just 4 plates. first few reps were fine. then, all of a sudden: POP! :td it was like a bomb going off in my lower back/right hip (I can't tell). the bomb sent a shockwave down my right leg and I dropped the weight immediately.

best as I can tell, the pain is located in muscles and the hip, not the spine; so I don't think it was a disc or anything like that.

I need a witch doctor nonetheless....

icehog3
03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
F@ck....been there, done that...recently, even. Hope it heals up fast for you, Dokk.

The Professor
03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
F@ck....been there, done that...recently, even. Hope it heals up fast for you, Dokk.
Thanks, Admiral.

I have an appointment in an hour. I'm home now and will be on ice until I leave. :(

The Professor
03-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I have the best doctor ever.

I took a look, ran some neuro tests, then gave me a full back adjustment, a site-injection of his personal cortisone & anesthetic cocktail, and a scrip for Lodine and some muscle relaxer. And he didn't even lecture me about abusing my body! :tu

I still hurt; but not nearly as bad as when I went in. Plus, I haven't taken the drugs yet.

:wo

PeteSB75
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Lifting is abusing your body? Glad to hear you are feeling better! :tu

The Professor
03-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Some folks think so (well ... when you're not just doing curlz, crunches, and flyes). ;)

Thanks, Pete. I'm still sore and tight; but I'm much better off. :)

PeteSB75
03-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Some folks think so (well ... when you're not just doing curlz, crunches, and flyes).

Thanks, Pete. I'm still sore and tight; but I'm much better off. :)

Could always do some yoga :su:tf:tf :ss

The Professor
03-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Could always do some yoga :su:tf:tf :ss
Admiral? Frank? Dave? Anyone????? :tf

BigFrank
03-25-2010, 06:22 PM
I would follow Dr.s orders. Take two weeks off. I wouldnt even do cardio. Stretch, foam roll. Heat ice all that ****. Just give it time. Eat tons of good fats, and fish keep that inflammation down. Work from there, but first couple of weeks off I wouldnt even get under the bar I'm talking machine work. 4 weeks of a set back now, is a lot better than months down the road.

Not to sound like an ass here but I think you were doing too much there brother. This may have just been a way of your body telling you it needs a break. If you are going to live on the heavy side of things, your body may not feel like it is over worked, but trust me it needs it's rest. Monotheism is key here brother.

BigFrank
03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Bench last night roughly 7 weeks out from meet.
380x5,5,5 Smoke show
Inclines
Close Grip Rest Pause
Hold Out 545
Cable Extensions
Press Downs

Fin.

Hit every rep all weights last night despite going out late the night before. Was working on about 3 1/2 hrs sleep tops.

The Professor
03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I plan to follow the doc's order, Frank ... and he actually said it wasn't that bad. He's a DO with board certification in sports medicine. He told me to stretch and not put it under load until the pain's gone; but he didn't recommend any kind of prolonged "off time." It's all tissue aggravation.

That said, I really haven't been lifting "heavy" for a month or so. I've been more concerned with speed and explosiveness. And with my recent jump into jiu-jitsu, I'm more interested right now in increasing my endurance and focusing on some problem areas -- mostly to get better at pull-ups/chins, rows, strengthening my grip, and some very specific muscle groups. Haven't done heavy squats or deads in a while and don't plan to until later this summer.

Anyway, I'll be laying low for a while. I'll head to BJJ tomorrow for instruction; but I won't be rolling. I'll ease back in as my body dictates I can.

The Professor
03-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Been hitting the gym and/or BJJ each day and am recovering very well. No rolling live at BJJ and no weights in the gym.

Gym has been cardio (which has improved drastically over the last two weeks), pull-ups/chins, and various mat stretches and exercises/drills (e.g. triangle drills and shrimping drills).

Today I did 100 pulls/chins (assisted, of course), some farmer's walks, yeses/noes (neck), reverse crunches, judo pushups, and lots of triangle drills. I also did a bunch of stretching and am feeling pretty darned good right now.

Back is still sore. Kind of feels like I got in a fight and got a little beat up; but the pain is manageable and it's mostly soreness rather than pain. If I'm still feeling like this at the end of the week, I'll schedule a follow-up and probably get another adjustment from the doc.

My BJJ coach -- who had back surgery 6 months ago -- said he'd roll with me while I'm recovering b/c he can be gentle. We'll see how I'm feeling this week. Probably still won't roll tomorrow; but by Friday, I might feel up for a light roll with coach.

icehog3
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
but by Friday, I might feel up for a light roll with coach.

So wrong, Dokk. :r

Didn't have much motivation driving to the gym to do back today, so I switched it up and did some explosive, single handed movements to start. Ended up getting a pretty good workout for a day that I didn't think I would be into it.

The Professor
03-28-2010, 01:33 PM
So wrong, Dokk. :r

awe damnit! ;s

PeteSB75
03-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Went in yesterday morning. Deads were just not there. Missed the first time with 315, hit the second, and missed the third, so I moved on to squats, which were very good. hit 285x5, 315x5,5. First time doing those heavy in more than a month and my hamstrings were sore all day and this morning. Finished up with some hanging leg raises. Off today.

The Professor
03-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Did chest & tris with my partner toady.

Pull-ups (assisted): 4 x 10
Dips (assisted): 3 x 10
Floor presses: 3 x 10 @ 135 (didn't want to over-do it with the back still hurting)
Incline barbell presses: 135 x 5, 6, 6; 155 x 4
Dumbbell flat presses: 60 x 6, 55 x 8, 8, 7
Medicine ball: 3 x 20 w/20# soft ball (throw from behind head straight to ground)

Followed that up with a bunch of stretching and a few sets of triangle drills (which are a pretty killer core exercise)

All-in-all, it was a pretty alright day. My back is feeling better. I still feel like someone punched or kicked me in my pelvis and in my kidneys; but I think it's better than yesterday ... and it's certainly better than last week. I definitely will NOT be doing any leg or lower back lifts this week -- I'll just keep up with my pull-ups, chins, pull-downs, etc.

icehog3
03-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Glad the back is improving, Dokk. :)

Legs for me today, wish me luck. :r

The Professor
03-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Glad the back is improving, Dokk. :)

Legs for me today, wish me luck. :r
good luck. :gl

please do some squats or something for me. I love working legs and it kills me that /i can't right now. :(

GreekGodX
03-29-2010, 10:44 AM
I use these wraps
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=139&m=PD&pid=3018
They get almost cast like when wrapped tight, but if you like em loose they work perfect also. Almost like a hybrid wrap.

You looking for wrist wraps, or straps, Christos?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=114&m=PD&pid=3021

Thanks guys :tu I ended up getting the ones Tom recommended and then a set from APT (http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/118023). Today I'm gonna hit some back and deadlift so I'll report back on which I like better..

icehog3
03-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Squats it was....gonna be a b*tch getting in and out of the squad tonight. :r

icehog3
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys :tu I ended up getting the ones Tom recommended and then a set from APT (http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/118023). Today I'm gonna hit some back and deadlift so I'll report back on which I like better..

Hope they work well for you, Son. :)

PeteSB75
03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Squats it was....gonna be a b*tch getting in and out of the squad tonight. :r

What, no stretching and foam rollering? :ih

BigFrank
03-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry haven't been super active guys work and training + kids are time consuming go figure...

Squats today
540x4wrappedx5
LockOuts 650x5
Leg Press
GHR
Abs
Calves

done and bloodshot.

icehog3
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
What, no stretching and foam rollering? :ih

Stretching, yes. Foam rollering, no. :)

Sorry haven't been super active guys work and training + kids are time consuming go figure...

Squats today
540x4wrappedx5
LockOuts 650x5
Leg Press
GHR
Abs
Calves

done and bloodshot.

Nice Frank! Wish I could still squat that heavy, but those days are gone.

PeteSB75
03-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Shoulders and back this morning. Press, lat pulldowns, upright rows and HS low rows. stretched and went home to eat my yogurt and shower. Funny how 5-10 minutes late to the gym in the morning makes me 15 mins late leaving the house...

icehog3
03-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Shoulders and back this morning. Press, lat pulldowns, upright rows and HS low rows. stretched and went home to eat my yogurt and shower. Funny how 5-10 minutes late to the gym in the morning makes me 15 mins late leaving the house...

What, no foam roller? ;)

Sounds like a good workout, Pete. :tu

The Professor
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I feel effin beat up from the combination of chest day and jiu-jitsu yesterday. Got my ass seriously handed to me last night. :r

This morning: cardio, 100 (assisted) pull-ups/chins, stretching, and 100 arm-bar drills (really an abs exercise).

Back is at about 85% today. There's still something "off" low in the back/hips, though. I think my sacrum may be a little rotated or something. If it's still feeling like that at the end of the week, a trip to the doc's will definitely be in order.

DBall
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks and I can finally move my elbow pain free (well... 90%). This sucks. I mean, I'm glad my elbow doesn't hurt, but I loved going and working out... especially my arms and chest. These seem to be things I can't do without my elbow taking a 2-week-****.

Bah.

The last time I went, the only things I did involving my arms were a couple rows and assisted pull-ups... it seems like anything that involves bending my arm (work out wise) ends up being painful.

PeteSB75
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
What, no foam roller? ;)

Sounds like a good workout, Pete. :tu

Then I would have been 20 mins late getting out the door to the train... People lining up at my desk when I walk in the door, cat and dogs living together, utter chaos!

I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks and I can finally move my elbow pain free (well... 90%). This sucks. I mean, I'm glad my elbow doesn't hurt, but I loved going and working out... especially my arms and chest. These seem to be things I can't do without my elbow taking a 2-week-****.

Bah.

The last time I went, the only things I did involving my arms were a couple rows and assisted pull-ups... it seems like anything that involves bending my arm (work out wise) ends up being painful.

Dan, did your PT recommend anything to help with reducing the stress on your elbow? Maybe a sleeve/wrap? Sucks not being able to do much.

icehog3
03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Tactical Training at work will force me to take Wed. and Thur. off from the gym. First time in a while I will take 2, I know it will be a good thing...because I am still hungry to get in the gym, I should be chomping at the bit by Friday.

Train hard, men! :ze

PeteSB75
03-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Just spin for me this morning.

Just curious Tom, when was the last time you took a week off from the gym?

The Professor
03-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Just spin for me this morning.

I don't know about Tom; but the last time I took a full week off was when I was sick as a dog in the fall -- had the full-blown flu (maybe it was even the Swine). I have only taken time off (greater than two days) due to circumstance (sick, business travel, etc.) and never by simple choice. I've got to at least get in there for some cardio and abs. If I don't go in, my day feels "off" and I obsess a little.

Handled a little weight today -- still nothing that would put pressure on the lower back/hips, though.

Cardio: a couple of miles on the bike to get my HR to 120

Assisted pull-ups: 50 (5 x 10)

HS low-rows: 2p/side x 20, 15, 15, 12

HS high-rows: 2p/side x 15, 12, 10 (I might have done another set of 10, too)

Assisted pull-ups: 30 (3 x 10)

Stretching, foam roller, etc.

Triangle drills: 75 (3 x 25) -- I think this is why my obliques and traps are so sore. :r

Done. :tu

icehog3
03-31-2010, 03:48 PM

Missed about 10 days - 2 weeks when I had the staph infection in my leg back in early December, Pete.

MortonMilo
03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Triangle drills: 75 (3 x 25) -- I think this is why my obliques and traps are so sore. :r

Done. :tu

...and what exactly are these....? piqued my interest!

The Professor
03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
...and what exactly are these....? piqued my interest!
Jiu-jitsu drill. I can't find a good video of it. Basically, you bring your legs up and use your abs to lift your ass off the mat, then you bring your legs into a triangle (bending your knee over the ankle of your other leg), and add a twist so that you're almost on only one shoulder (really one side of your traps). You alternate sides.

I don't know if that makes any sense.... :hm

PeteSB75
04-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Missed about 10 days - 2 weeks when I had the staph infection in my leg back in early December, Pete.

Gotcha. You don't take a planned week off every few months?

Chest/Arms for me this morning. Bench, Incline DBs, Curls and Dips. Dunno if it's diet changes or maybe not getting enough sleep, but I've not been putting up the weight I expect over the last few workouts.

The Professor
04-01-2010, 08:26 AM
20 minutes of cardio on recumbent bike

100 assisted pulls/chins (50 neutral grip pull-ups; 50 chin-ups)

lots of stretching of my lower back, hips, pelvis

100 triangle drills (4 sets of 25)

10 minutes of walking at 3.3mph and 10% incline

MortonMilo
04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Jiu-jitsu drill. I can't find a good video of it. Basically, you bring your legs up and use your abs to lift your ass off the mat, then you bring your legs into a triangle (bending your knee over the ankle of your other leg), and add a twist so that you're almost on only one shoulder (really one side of your traps). You alternate sides.

I don't know if that makes any sense.... :hm

I can almost picture it. We'll see if I'm flexible enough to give it a go!

PeteSB75
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I can almost picture it. We'll see if I'm flexible enough to give it a go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rrtqN_pME

This might help?

The Professor
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rrtqN_pME

This might help?
That is EXACTLY it. :tu

icehog3
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Gotcha. You don't take a planned week off every few months?

Not "planned" per se, Pete, but I do try to train instinctively and listen to my body when it needs a rest. Generally 2 or 3 vacations or travels herfs a year get me those rest weeks by default. :)

PeteSB75
04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Not "planned" per se, Pete, but I do try to train instinctively and listen to my body when it needs a rest. Generally 2 or 3 vacations or travels herfs a year get me those rest weeks by default. :)

Sounds like a good reason to me ::ss :ze

icehog3
04-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a good reason to me ::ss :ze

The best, Pete. :D

GreekGodX
04-01-2010, 05:47 PM
So lets talk about my new wrist straps. I don't think I'm using them correctly. It doesn't feel like it is helping me grip the weight anymore than I was without them.. The thing is I don't think there is a way to put them on wrong. :confused:

The Professor
04-01-2010, 06:41 PM
So lets talk about my new wrist straps. I don't think I'm using them correctly. It doesn't feel like it is helping me grip the weight anymore than I was without them.. The thing is I don't think there is a way to put them on wrong. :confused:
Are you wrapping them around the bar tightly?

BigFrank
04-01-2010, 06:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4-LAEkHVQ&feature=related

BigFrank
04-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Benched my balls off last night
395x5,8
lockouts 565x5

only things of note

MortonMilo
04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
wowthatsalottabench

The Professor
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
quick morning because I have BJJ tonight.

20 minutes of walking at 10% and 3.4mph. Jogged a minute before cool-down, too ... just because I thought someone was chasing me. ;)

50 (assisted) pull-ups

lots of stretching of my lower back/pelvis/hips

50 triangle drills

icehog3
04-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Feel like my strength is finally starting an upward cycke again...rocked chest today.

Good luck in JJ Dokk.

The Professor
04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Feel like my strength is finally starting an upward cycke again...rocked chest today.

Good luck in JJ Dokk.
Good on ya, Admiral. :tu

I noticed today that my the strength in my leg is messed up. I have an appointment with the doc for Monday morning and will hopefully get a lower lumbar or sacral adjustment to fix that. It's the same feeling I had two years ago when I tweaked my back ... except my back is feeling relatively fine right now. Such is life. I'm not too worried about it.

GreekGodX
04-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Are you wrapping them around the bar tightly?

Yea, definitely cutting off some circulation in my hands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4-LAEkHVQ&feature=related

Thanks for the video Frank. I'm doing exactly that. Maybe I just need to trust the straps a little more. It's just frustrating because I know I can lift more, especially on deadlifts.

GreekGodX
04-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Good on ya, Admiral. :tu

I noticed today that my the strength in my leg is messed up. I have an appointment with the doc for Monday morning and will hopefully get a lower lumbar or sacral adjustment to fix that. It's the same feeling I had two years ago when I tweaked my back ... except my back is feeling relatively fine right now. Such is life. I'm not too worried about it.

Good luck, Dokk. Hopefully it is nothing and you can get back under the bar :tu

BigFrank
04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Yea, definitely cutting off some circulation in my hands...
Thanks for the video Frank. I'm doing exactly that. Maybe I just need to trust the straps a little more. It's just frustrating because I know I can lift more, especially on deadlifts.
Deadlifting from the floor with straps is something I wouldn't recommend. I only use straps for rack pulls, rows, etc. That is unless your grip strength is severly underdeveloped or you have some issue (disability) that prevents you from gripping the bar.
One of the main reason I was taught was when you set up for the deadlift, you want to remain tight up top then set up fast then explode. Spending time strapping up on the bar and getting set, takes time you loose the tightness you need and you more often than not do not get your hips low enough, and keep your shoulders back. It ends up turning into a shitty stiff leg deadlift instead.

The Professor
04-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Good luck, Dokk. Hopefully it is nothing and you can get back under the bar :tu
Thanks. I rolled (BJJ) last night and lost one match from laughing so hard when my opponent (who knew I couldn't hold guard because of my hip) insisted on trying to force himself into my guard. :r I really lost it. :r Everything else in BJJ went well, though ... it's just like I have no strength in my right leg/hip -- like I can't hold it up in the air even for very long.

Regardless, appointment is scheduled with the doc for Monday morning. :tu

The Professor
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Deadlifting from the floor with straps is something I wouldn't recommend. I only use straps for rack pulls, rows, etc. That is unless your grip strength is severly underdeveloped or you have some issue (disability) that prevents you from gripping the bar.
One of the main reason I was taught was when you set up for the deadlift, you want to remain tight up top then set up fast then explode. Spending time strapping up on the bar and getting set, takes time you loose the tightness you need and you more often than not do not get your hips low enough, and keep your shoulders back. It ends up turning into a shitty stiff leg deadlift instead.
Yup -- I've totally had that experience when I used straps to DL. I'm like Frank and only use them on accessory lifts like some rows, shrugs, lockouts, etc.

The Professor
04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Good time in BJJ today. Started with UNassisted chins 3-4 sets of 5. Not great; but a small victory for me. :D Rolled with a couple of advanced belts and got manhandled ... especially by this big slow guy who is just very deliberate and technical with his movement. After some instruction and drills, rolled with the other new guy and won 4 of 5 rounds. :wo

GreekGodX
04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Yup -- I've totally had that experience when I used straps to DL. I'm like Frank and only use them on accessory lifts like some rows, shrugs, lockouts, etc.

Well even on Bent over rows and rack pulls, the wraps just didn't feel like they were helping me. It felt as if I wasn't even using anything. I'll take a closer look as to how I'm using them.

The Professor
04-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Well even on Bent over rows and rack pulls, the wraps just didn't feel like they were helping me. It felt as if I wasn't even using anything. I'll take a closer look as to how I'm using them.
how sharp is the knurling on the bar? is it really sharp and sticky or dulled and slick?

icehog3
04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice job on the pull-ups, Dokk. :tu

Had another strong day, went heavy on T-bar rows, heavy on dumbbell rows, moderate on super-wide barbell rows, and finished with some pull ups. I thought of Christos, and never pulled my straps out of the bag....my forearms are wrecked. :)

GreekGodX
04-03-2010, 03:24 PM
how sharp is the knurling on the bar? is it really sharp and sticky or dulled and slick?

Fairly new bars. Not brand new but they aren't slippery at all.

GreekGodX
04-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Nice job on the pull-ups, Dokk. :tu

Had another strong day, went heavy on T-bar rows, heavy on dumbbell rows, moderate on super-wide barbell rows, and finished with some pull ups. I thought of Christos, and never pulled my straps out of the bag....my forearms are wrecked. :)

Nice Pops :tu

BigFrank
04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Hard to understand unless I watch you strap in. Straps wont do all of the work for ya. You kind of have to learn how to use them. That kind of sounds weird but it makes sense I suppose. I need a video camera start taping your guys questions like a Q&A LOL...Explaining somethings would be easier if I could show you hahahahha.
Nice Pops :tu
:r

PeteSB75
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
I will use straps on deadlifts from the floor if I am planning on repping out a bit with a heavy weight. For a 1 rep lift, there's no need. You should also do a double overhand grip with straps, IMO. The straps fulfill the same purpose as the over/under grip, namely keeping the bar from rolling out of your hands.

Main thing to remember is to pull the bar tighter to your hand than you initially think. You want the strap to take the weight of the bar instead of having it held by your fingers, if that makes any sense. Your hands are effectively there to keep the strap from unwrapping, your wrist is actually holding the weight. Your body won't lift a weight it doesn't think your hands can hold, so if you are too far out on your fingers, you won't feel like you can lift it.

Anyway, went for a nice (4 mile-ish) hike on Saturday and got some lighter deads, squats and abs in yesterday before heading out for Easter dinner.

The Professor
04-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Yesterday was nothing special: 50 assisted chins, 50 assisted pull-ups, a mile on the treadmill (alternating walking and jogging), lots of stretching, and 50 triangle drills.

Today was chest day.

superset of chins, pull-ups, dips, pushups for 2 circuits to start

superset DB flat bench and 20lb medicine ball slams -- 10 reps each for 3 sets

superset of narrow grip barbell flat bench and HS declines -- 8-10 reps each for 3 sets

seated machine flyes -- 3 sets of 8-10 reps

then my partner left and I went back to kick out another 40 reps of assisted pull-ups and chins and hit the treadmill for 10 minutes before leaving

it was an active day, that's for sure. we certainly didn't waste any time at all. even with my additional stuff, I was outta there in about 50 minutes. :tu

head to the doc's today to have him take a look at my sacroiliac, hip, lumbar region, etc. something's not letting my right hip work right. my money is on a sacroiliac problem that needs some joint manipulation. I won't be surprised if he sends me for an MRI, too, though. we'll see....

good lifting to all today! :ze

BigFrank
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Squat City
572x3,3
Pulls
off 8 mats 555x2(3rd = miss) off floor then 555 off floor x3

Pulls felt awful. I'm chalking this up to being totally tired from squatting.

PeteSB75
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Volume work today. Press, lat pulldown, front/side lat raise, HS rows. Good stuff.

BigFrank
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Sore as hell today. I hope everyone else is getting it done. Little less than 5 weeks til the meet. Time to order a new singlet and some ammonia caps!

icehog3
04-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Sore as hell today. I hope everyone else is getting it done. Little less than 5 weeks til the meet. Time to order a new singlet and some ammonia caps!

You're gonna kick some tail, Frank! :tu

GreekGodX
04-07-2010, 05:01 AM

mmmm Ammonia caps :td nothing like breaking one on accident on the car ride to school/work :r

I'll be rooting for ya Frank :wo

PeteSB75
04-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Volume chest and arm work for me this morning. Flat bench, incline bench, hammer curls and dips. Felt pretty low energy when I started, and wasn't sure I would make it through. Trying carb cycling (Tuesday and yesterday were no-carb days), and my energy levels are all over the place. We'll see how it goes.

icehog3
04-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Tore up back yesterday (today).

Bodyweight chins (I died fast) 22, 15, 14, 12 ,11, 11, 10, 9 for total of 100+

Heavy T-bar rows (5 and 6 plates for reps)

Heavy Dumbbell rows (130s for reps)

Super wide pulldowns (stack for reps)

Back is still tight 14 hours later.

Legs and shoulders manana.

PeteSB75
04-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Legs today, dead, squat and some ab work. Have been feeling really heavy lately, not sure if it was just the time off or something else. Anyway, spin tomorrow.

PeteSB75
04-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Forgot to turn my alarm on yesterday, missed the gym in the morning and was too tired by the time I got home. I'll make up for it tomorrow. Spin this morning.

The Professor
04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
been doing pull-ups and/or chins every day. started with 10-8-8 neutral pull-ups without any assistance today ... most I've ever done. followed that with another 50 assisted chins (we don't have just a regular bar to do chins). did a bunch of stretching. my leg was killing me. :(

BigFrank
04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Sorry havent been keeping you guys posted. Been busy as hell and super tired. Training is getting extremely heavy right now.

Rather then get silly with a ton of posts here will be my last week of training...
Squats 630x2 Bench 445x2,2 Deadlift 600x2,2

Meet is still May 8th. Other than some tendinitis that has been bugging me this last week in my forearm everything is right on track. Skipped a few friday workouts because honestly my workouts Monday and Wednesday have been draining.

My openers for the meet are still up in the air. But they will be safe.
Squat will be mid 500's bench high 300's and deadlift will be high 500's.

On another note. Ordered a singlet and some caps. Turns out Inzer didnt have my singlet in stock which I had to find out by calling them. Which is total bullshit. Possibly the last time I ever order from them...Going to have to rock the navy blue singlet lolz!

My whole crew will be at the meet, including my old lady and tons of friends. Will make sure to take the camera and possibly video camera and get some action on film.

icehog3
04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Kickin' some major arse, Frank!

I am off the gym for the 3rd day in a row after a freak accident. After repping with 335 on close-grip bench on a smith machine, I didn't rack it properly. As I backed off the bench, it all came down and my right thigh took the brunt. Nothing broken, nothing torn, but still severly swollen, 5 shades of purple and painful to walk on.

Hope to get back to some exercises by Monday.

BigFrank
04-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a nasty contusion or something there Tom. Stay away from that death trap Smith Machine. I just hope you don't squat in it...lolololol :r

icehog3
04-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a nasty contusion or something there Tom. Stay away from that death trap Smith Machine. I just hope you don't squat in it...lolololol :r

Never squatted in it even once, Frank. ;)

I use it for late in the workouts when I am tired, this was near the end of my arm workout. I tried to rack it high to be ready for my next set, and just didn't get the hooks all the way around. Guess I am lucky that it held for a couple seconds so it didn't hit me in the chest or ribcage. :r

Went to the ER about 2 hours later after one of my coworkers saw it while I changed in the locker room and almost passed out. Hopefully I will be good enough for the gym in a couple days and back on the ice in a week.

PeteSB75
04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
That sucks Tom. Ice it up and chew some advil, you'll be fine :tu There are worse places to be hit with a bar.

Frank, you taking some deload/off time before the meet?

Shoulders/back for me today. Press, pullup assists, side/front lat raises and a little rowing make for a good morning.

BigFrank
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
That sucks Tom. Ice it up and chew some advil, you'll be fine :tu There are worse places to be hit with a bar.

Frank, you taking some deload/off time before the meet?

Shoulders/back for me today. Press, pullup assists, side/front lat raises and a little rowing make for a good morning.
My last heavy squat workout was last night. Last heavy Bench will be this Wed. Next week I go in once, and do a full body workout. All light high rep crap, then a full week off.

GreekGodX
04-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Added some good mornings to my workout. I feel like my deadlift has plateued, and when this happens I hit good mornings :) Hopefully that will do the trick.

I think the best scenario for my grip is to just keep trying to get stronger. I'll use the wrist straps sparingly, and one I can overhand grip upwards of 300lbs then I'll try em out again.

Hope everything is ok with the leg Pops :tu You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

icehog3
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks Son....I see my orthopedic doc this afternoon.

PeteSB75
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
My last heavy squat workout was last night. Last heavy Bench will be this Wed. Next week I go in once, and do a full body workout. All light high rep crap, then a full week off.

Knock em dead Frank!

PeteSB75
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Chest and arms, mostly arms, this morning. Bench, push-ups off the bench, 21s, supinating db curls, skull crushers, close grip press, and bench dips. Good stuff, haven't done a primarily arm workout in quite some time. Bit surprised by how much more weight I can handle on the triceps side since the main thing I've been doing for them is dips.

DavenportESQ
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Hope everyone is well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuNYjG6YTBQ&feature=channel

BigFrank
04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I hate that ****ing guy.

kenstogie
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Best place for WHEY?? Online or not.

icehog3
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Best place for WHEY?? Online or not.

bodybuiliding dot com

ON (Optimal Nutrition) 100% Whey Gold Standard...I prefer the rocky road, tastes like a milkshake in skim milk, and even tastes good with water.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

icehog3
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
bodybuiliding dot com

ON (Optimal Nutrition) 100% Whey Gold Standard...I prefer the rocky road, tastes like a milkshake in skim milk, and even tastes good with water.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Actually, FitRX has a better sale price right now.

http://www.fitrx.com/fitrx/detail_page.asp?pid=14434260582402010412226158&product_id=17380&i_brand=118

PeteSB75
04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I like the ON 100% Gold Standard Whey, but I have to go with Cookies and Cream over Rocky Road. The Rocky Road has a weird aftertaste I don't really like unless I mix in yogurt or fruit. My fiance likes it better though. :2

The Professor
04-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Good ... that'll help you get used to the feeling of your fiance being RIGHT! :r

First weekday not going to the gym by choice. :td I hate it; but I want to give my body a little more of a chance to recover without doing any cardio or anything.

Next week, I'll start back doing things carefully, though....

icehog3
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Good ... that'll help you get used to the feeling of your fiance being RIGHT! :r

First weekday not going to the gym by choice. :td I hate it; but I want to give my body a little more of a chance to recover without doing any cardio or anything.

Next week, I'll start back doing things carefully, though....

Tell me about it Doc, today is day 12 out of the gym for me, and I doubt I will be back for at least another week. I guess we both need to be careful in our reckless abandon. ;)

BigFrank
04-26-2010, 06:16 PM
www.dpsnutrition.com is where I order from. I was on the Rocky Road train but now I just get double rich chocolate. I have actually been getting 10lb bags of chocolate from dymatize. for 61 bucks for 10lbs I really cannot beat that.

tonight was light box squats with a safety bar. No more squatting til the meet. Forearm is a little banged up. Some tendinitis still flaring in there. Last heavy bench Wed, then coast til meet.

DBall
04-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Been going back to the gym lately... strength is still there and I'm happy about it. My elbow is feeling normal-ish again and I can work out and not be in pain now (for the most part).

Thinking about trying some creatine, but don't have the first clue where to begin, if it comes like a milkshake (I really like those protein milkshakes at the gym), how to use it properly (like... before or after workouts, how much), etc, etc.

I'm going to do some research but any opinions from people here will be welcomed.

Shizz... I'm just glad I can work out again and not be in unbearable pain. I'm happy with the PT and the work they did there. :tu

Tripp
04-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't call myself an iron pumper like you guys, but I thought I'd chime in with where I buy supps.

I usually order from www.prosource.net, and I used to order from www.supplementwarehouse.com. Prosource generally has great, with reasonable shipping. SupplementWarehouse has LOW prices on most products, and lower prices on products that are near or past their expiration date(some which expired YEARS ago, be sure to check), though their shipping is pretty ridiculous unless you qualify for free shipping.

As far as protien, I'm still looking for the perfect one. Some pretty good ones I've tried are Syntha-6(Great taste, but carbs and fat are a bit high for me), Supreme Protein(Tastes pretty good, and acceptable nutritional content as well), and NitroWhey Extreme(reat Protien/Calorie ratio, at 100 cal/22g protien, with minimal fat/carbs, and has some supplements added like Arginine. Unfortunately, it tastes sort of like melted plastic:/)

Hope this helps!

PeteSB75
04-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Hmm, she seems to feel that any time I decide to argue with her about whether or not she is right constitutes a license to punch me. Of course this happens with more frequency and effort when I am right. Fortunately, I don't bruise easily...

Heavy back/shoulders today. Decided I needed to mix it up a little today, started off with hang cleans, then standing overhead press, lat pulldowns, and finished with HS high rows. I've already got the tightness between my shoulder blades that says I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Good stuff.

PeteSB75
04-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Shoulders/upper back very sore today. I think enough to call for some icyhot when I get home tonight... Spin this morning. Good stuff.

PeteSB75
04-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Ok, here's me with the third post in a row. what's up with that? Chest and arms today. Bench, incline DBs, bar curls and dips. Spin tomorrow and Saturday, then beach and cigar time. :tu

icehog3
04-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Ok, here's me with the third post in a row. what's up with that?

15th day out of the gym for me. :(

PeteSB75
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
15th day out of the gym for me. :(

Leg still bad? those smith machines are horrible.

icehog3
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Leg still bad? those smith machines are horrible.

Yeah, the cellulitis is back in my lower leg. I think a short hospital stay is in my near future, Pete.

nomadicwookie
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Well guys wish me luck. I'm getting on the bench again for the first time in years. I did 6 months of P90X to melt the flab & tone up in preperation. I'll be doing a 3 day a week full body workout. Doing a pyramid plan. Bench press, barbell curl, french press, bent over rows, military press, shrugs, squats. I'm thinking one set of crunches to failure. Debating that or multiple sets. Any thoughts on that? Still a bit sore from my warmup run on the routine yesterday. Maybe a little too ambitious, but we'll see.

PeteSB75
04-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Well guys wish me luck. I'm getting on the bench again for the first time in years. I did 6 months of P90X to melt the flab & tone up in preperation. I'll be doing a 3 day a week full body workout. Doing a pyramid plan. Bench press, barbell curl, french press, bent over rows, military press, shrugs, squats. I'm thinking one set of crunches to failure. Debating that or multiple sets. Any thoughts on that? Still a bit sore from my warmup run on the routine yesterday. Maybe a little too ambitious, but we'll see.

A french press? Other than a device for making delicious coffee, I've never heard that term used. Just looked it up on youtube, and I've always called those skull crushers. You doing them standing, sitting or lying down?

As far as the workout, personally I'd throw a deadlift in there, maybe in place of bent-over rows and move the rows instead of shrugs, but other than that it's a nice push/pull/push/pull/push/pull/push workout. And, I don't know how old you are, but that three days a week would kill my joints. :2

nomadicwookie
04-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I was doing them sitting, but I think it'll be easier for me to isolate the triceps & keep my elboys from moving if a lay down & do the skull crusher version. That's the way I've done it with dumbells any way. I just turned 30 in Feb.

PeteSB75
04-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah, the cellulitis is back in my lower leg. I think a short hospital stay is in my near future, Pete.

Sorry to hear that Tom. Hope that can be avoided. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

I was doing them sitting, but I think it'll be easier for me to isolate the triceps & keep my elboys from moving if a lay down & do the skull crusher version. That's the way I've done it with dumbells any way. I just turned 30 in Feb.

I find it more effective either laying down or standing up. Good luck with the regimen, and remember to listen to your body.

icehog3
04-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I am going in today, Pete, hoping for a short 4 day or so stay...hopefully be ready to rock by this time next week. Kick some arse until then!

kenstogie
04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Actually, FitRX has a better sale price right now.

http://www.fitrx.com/fitrx/detail_page.asp?pid=14434260582402010412226158&product_id=17380&i_brand=118

Thought I'd throw this out there. It's a store near where I live and has reasonable prices. 27.99 for a 5lb tub. The usual 2 scoops = 42 G of Protien.

http://www.albanystrength.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

BigFrank
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
5 days out brothers.

PeteSB75
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
5 days out brothers.

:banger:banger

icehog3
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Kick some ass, Frank! :tu

PeteSB75
05-04-2010, 06:51 AM
How you feeling Tom? Ready to get back in there?

Volume shoulders/back day for me, with hang cleans, standing overhead press, lat pulldowns and HS high rows. Spin tomorrow. I've dropped about 20lb in the last three months or so, would like to drop another 10-20 in the next two and a half, before my wedding. Someday soon I'll be able to start drinking again...

Mugen910
05-04-2010, 07:28 AM
15 min on the elliptical was the most I could do and then a light upper body work out at the gym Sunday night. Concentrated on slow clean movements.

It's been 5 months since I've been in a gym :(

How's the leg doing, Tom?

icehog3
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
How you feeling Tom? Ready to get back in there?

How's the leg doing, Tom?

Infection is all gone but I am having outpatient surgery Thursday to drain all the blood that stlll remains 3 weeks later. I am hoping that I can start training some upper body within about a week, but that might be optomistic...I will have to see how bad the incision is when I wake up Thursday. Thank you for asking, hope to be giving y'all some encouraging news soon. In the meantime, you guys keep kickin' ass for me. :)

BigFrank
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Time off will probably be good for you there Tom. Im sure you havent had a good break in a long time. Rest up, smash up the weights when you get back.

Mugen910
05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
15 min on the elliptical was the most I could do and then a light upper body work out at the gym Sunday night. Concentrated on slow clean movements.

I just realized I sounded like a total wimp here around you beasts. As an excuse, I tore my ACL in Jan and had ACL surgery 8 weeks ago. So I've had an excuse to be lazy-er.

icehog3
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Time off will probably be good for you there Tom. Im sure you havent had a good break in a long time. Rest up, smash up the weights when you get back.

Thank you Frank...that's the plan, like it or not! :D

PeteSB75
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I just realized I sounded like a total wimp here around you beasts. As an excuse, I tore my ACL in Jan and had ACL surgery 8 weeks ago. So I've had an excuse to be lazy-er.

Sounds like a good excuse to me. And don't worry, we won't judge you for that. :ss

Mugen910
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to me. And don't worry, we won't judge you for that. :ss

:tu Thanks Pete

Not sure what 5 days out means for you BigFrank but best of luck to ya :tu

icehog3
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
:tu Thanks Pete

Not sure what 5 days out means for you BigFrank but best of luck to ya :tu

From his meet. ;)

Mugen910
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
From his meet. ;)

DUDE!!! That is awesome..Best of luck to you Frank! :ze

PeteSB75
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Chest and arms this morning. Flat bench, incline DBs, 21s and finished up with dips. Spin again tomorrow, and probably Saturday as well.

Mugen910
05-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Light PT last night because my knee isn't feeling up to par :(

Then went to the gym after: flat bench, db shoulder press, curls, over the head triceps extension, flat bar row. :ze

GreekGodX
05-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Thinking about building a sled from some old tires.. Probably just use a weight belt as a harness. I'm just not sure where to feed it into the tire. Could go straight through or put it through the wheel in the middle. I just don't want it to flip while it's getting pulled, but this could be resolved by adding more weight. :hm

BigFrank
05-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Thinking about building a sled from some old tires.. Probably just use a weight belt as a harness. I'm just not sure where to feed it into the tire. Could go straight through or put it through the wheel in the middle. I just don't want it to flip while it's getting pulled, but this could be resolved by adding more weight. :hm

Not sure about that one. I know a few guys who just purchased a piece of steel and got a pipe welding in the middle and and ring on one end and pulled it like that.

If your going balls cheap. I would just get some rope, tie up 2-4 45 pound plates and drag em.

BigFrank
05-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Final day before the meet.
My forearm is still a little tender. I'm sure it will flare up at the meet.
I'll post up mucho after the meet.

Mugen910
05-07-2010, 07:16 AM

Best of luck brother!

icehog3
05-07-2010, 10:51 AM

KICK ASS, FRANK!! :tu :D

PeteSB75
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Knock em dead Frank! :tu:tu

Mugen910
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Hope the meet went well Frank.. :tu

Another upper body day. I'll prob give it another 2 weeks of this before I can start focusing on specific muscles on different days.

alwayslit
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Finally got some weight work in after 8 weeks of trying to get my right elbow to heal. Took a shot of NO and some volumize. Felt okay but the elbow is still stiff......oh well. See what Monday will bring.

BigFrank
05-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Meet report. I might post the full write up in it's own thread. I've got some videos and pictures. Not sure what to do with the videos. Anyways I'll just give a break down of the lifts, more info to follow.
Squats
#1-600 3 lights
#2-640 3 reds
#3-640 " "
Bench
#1-430- 2reds 1 white, after pressing I threw it right into the rack no lift
#2-445-3 whites
#3-475 stapled 3 reds
Deadlifts
#1-600 3 whites
#2-625 small hitch at top no good 2 reds 1 white
#3-625 totally gassed 3 reds

The meet took ****ing forever. Got to the meet @8:50am and didn't leave until ~7pm. Weighed in a 264.5lbs I finished squatting a 1pm and didn't bench until 4pm. Pulling was a little after 6pm. The meet didn't supply any warm-up equipment and there was no where to sit. Sat on gym equipment pushed into a corner and warmed up on the main equipment. Only being in a few meets so far, this was by far the worst run. Had a lot of trouble getting ramped up to squat early in the morning. Also eating was impossible due to nerves. Every time I ate something I felt sick and my stomach felt awful. I wasn't sure if I had to poo, fart or mystery happenings inside me. Benching felt good. But my 3rd attempt I was tired and felt like crap. Deadlifting was similar. Everything hurts. Taking a few weeks off. Back to the gym to drop some weight, back down to 242 and get stronger.
Happy lifting brothers.

Mugen910
05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Post up a link to the videos Frank....I am sure we'd all love to see them brother. It sounds like the meet could have been run much better but either way :tu to you for being such a monster.
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Some great lifts there Frank....sucks that the meet was so poorly run, as the conditions probably brought down your totals, but kudos to you for kickin' ass, and now rest up and come back even stronger. :)

PeteSB75
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Good lifts Frank :ze Sorry to hear it wasn't the best experience, but still, great job. Get stronger for the next one. :ss And post up links to some videos for sure!

catfish2
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Three small things:

1.) I just received an order from bodybuilding.com. My free gift was a tape measure designed to measure body parts (arms and legs). It's real cool, and perfect for measuring stuff like your upper arms.

2.) I've just started running the mile and a half again on Saturday for the Crook County test. I haven't run all winter. Luckily it came right back to me, thank goodness.

3.) I've been looking to get a multi-purpose workout bench for quite a while. I've decided on the powertec multi bench system. It fits my needs in every area, and from all the info that I could get is that It's a well made machine. As soon as I get the money I'll most likely get one. Do any of you guys have any info?

Mugen910
05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
upper body last night 2 exercises per part with minimal rest periods. I had the energy last night so I went for it.

Sorry Carfish2, I have no info on home gym stuff.

BigFrank
05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
3.) I've been looking to get a multi-purpose workout bench for quite a while. I've decided on the powertec multi bench system. It fits my needs in every area, and from all the info that I could get is that It's a well made machine. As soon as I get the money I'll most likely get one. Do any of you guys have any info?
You'd be better off getting a power rack, adjustable bench and a bar + weights. My personal experience and opinion lead me to say that multi purpose workout equipment like that is a HUGE piece of **** and waste of money.
A Power rack , adjustable bench and bar + weight not only will allow you to get more for your money, but in the long run will allow you to work every body part. And if things turn bottoms up, what I recommended has a higher resale value compared to some worthless whatever the fuk piece of **** you are going to waste your money on.
The costs would be extremely close. Weight + bar and adjustable bench can be purchased anywhere. Cheaper because you can pick it up yourself. Or check craigslist there is usually both on there every week. Power rack's can be purchased online or check local areas. If you shop around, I'm sure, hell I'd bet a paycheck you could save yourself a lot of money.

BigFrank
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Edit if you have any specific questions Catfish feel free to pm me or ask me here. Helped a friend who lives out of town set his home gym up in his garage.

catfish2
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I've put a hell of a lot of thought into this (more than you would believe). I have a severe height restriction at this point and time in my life. No rack that I've found would work. As far as the quality goes, From all the info that I could gather, It's made to take a lot of abuse. It's a leverage machine so there's no cables to wear out. It's a free weight Olympic plate machine, so it will handle a lot of weight. Finally, I'm satisfied with the exercises it offers. Like I said I've put a hell of a lot of thought into this.

BigFrank
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
What's the height restraint?

catfish2
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
79 inches tall

PeteSB75
05-11-2010, 06:41 AM
79 inches tall

That's damn short. No way you'd be able to do anything with the bar above your head if you are over about 5' tall. How tall are you?

Back/Shoulders this morning for me. Hang cleans, press, bent-over rows, and pull-up assists. Good stuff.

Mugen910
05-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Last night was two exercises per upper body part (back, chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders) focusing on slow clean movements with lighter weights.

It's funny when I you're doing slow DB curls on an incline bench with 20lbs and the kid next to you, prob 10 yrs younger and about 70lbs lighter, is jerking his whole body around to toss up 30-35lbs. I swear my calves were bigger than his thighs. :r

Ordered some protein mix from drugstore.com yesterday (Pete their prices were a bit better + cashback)
Can anyone confirm my reading/understanding from bb.com and mags.

Casein is good for the body first thing in the AM and last thing before bed. Y/N
Whey is good through the day and/or post workout. Y/N
Almonds help curb appetite?

Frank, I looked for that workout routine you sent way back and I don't think I can follow that anymore because I'm still rehabing my knee.

icehog3
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
That's damn short. No way you'd be able to do anything with the bar above your head if you are over about 5' tall. How tall are you?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/mini-muscleman-002.jpg

PeteSB75
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Last night was two exercises per upper body part (back, chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders) focusing on slow clean movements with lighter weights.

It's funny when I you're doing slow DB curls on an incline bench with 20lbs and the kid next to you, prob 10 yrs younger and about 70lbs lighter, is jerking his whole body around to toss up 30-35lbs. I swear my calves were bigger than his thighs. :r

Ordered some protein mix from drugstore.com yesterday (Pete their prices were a bit better + cashback)

Casein is good for the body first thing in the AM and last thing before bed. Y/N

Frank, I looked for that workout routine you sent way back and I don't think I can follow that anymore because I'm still rehabing my knee.

You're just HUGE!! :ze :ze You make all the other bois in the gym look like gurly-men :r

Tom, I think the dyed blonde hair is the funniest part of that picture. Brilliant!

Mugen910
05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
You're just HUGE!! :ze :ze You make all the other bois in the gym look like gurly-men :r

Tom, I think the dyed blonde hair is the funniest part of that picture. Brilliant!

No man..I meant that those kids are more concerned about the number on the sides or the weights versus lifting right. Some day I want to grow up to be as big as you Pete!

oh and that blonde haired thing freaks me out.

PeteSB75
05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
No man..I meant that those kids are more concerned about the number on the sides or the weights versus lifting right. Some day I want to grow up to be as big as you Pete!

oh and that blonde haired thing freaks me out.

It's not my fault, being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise...

Best movie of all time.

Seriously though, you should school those little children. It's always the huge guys and the women in my gym using all the little dumbells. Most of the kids don't look past their own reflection in the mirror.

Mugen910
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
speaking of which..I was at the gym last week and had this guy (very avg with no muscle definition) do 1 set of curls and then walk over to the mirror and check out the progress :r

PeteSB75
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
speaking of which..I was at the gym last week and had this guy (very avg with no muscle definition) do 1 set of curls and then walk over to the mirror and check out the progress :r

You see the improvement right away, don't you? WTF?!! I must be doing it wrong ;s

BigFrank
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM

ok let me know what's new and we can tweak it or get you a new one.
I would just get a blend thats 50/50 whey to casien. I just drink whey whenever. Im not that concerned about how fast my body consumes it. I just want the protein.

catfish2
05-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Back/Shoulders this morning for me. Hang cleans, press, bent-over rows, and pull-up assists. Good stuff.

I'm somewhere around 5'-10" or 5'-11". Sitting on the bench I will have enough reach room for over head exercises. By the ceiling height is actually closer to 80 inches.

GreekGodX
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm with Frank on this.. Power rack is an essential piece of workout equipment that a lot of people don't use and they should.

Don, sounds like with you space limitations you would be better off getting a gym membership. :2

GreekGodX
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
And yes Bao, almonds do curve hunger :)

Mugen910
05-11-2010, 08:43 PM
And yes Bao, almonds do curve hunger :)

too bad I can't stop snacking on them :dr

Frank I'll pm ya :tu

catfish2
05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks a lot, Tom. That picture is going to give me nightmares tonight.

trader1974
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Hit chest and shoulders yesterday. First time I've done shoulders in awhile and I'm paying for it today. Just hope I don't have to reach anything off a top shelf.:)

The Professor
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
hit chest & tris on Monday (international chest & tris day). hit lats & bis today. I'll probably do shoulders tomorrow and some leg & lower back stretching on Friday.

the slow road to recovery....

PeteSB75
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
hit chest & tris on Monday (international chest & tris day). hit lats & bis today. I'll probably do shoulders tomorrow and some leg & lower back stretching on Friday.

the slow road to recovery....

It is. That's why I do back/shoulders on Tuesday and chest/arms on Thursday. Less competition for the benches. Spin this morning for me.

PeteSB75
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
New PR on bench this morning, 230. Almost missed it, got a little outside my path, but was able to recover. Followed that up with arms, doing 21s and dips. Good stuff.

The Professor
05-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I am a weak, pathetic unicorn. Almost cried at how little I was able to do on legs today. Played it safe; but still ... just pathetic. :td

Mugen910
05-13-2010, 08:31 AM
I am a weak, pathetic unicorn. Almost cried at how little I was able to do on legs today. Played it safe; but still ... just pathetic. :td

well at least you can say you're magical :D

I have no excuse...had PT last night and didn't have the energy to hit the gym. If anything I can say I was on the elliptical for 10 min. :td

BigFrank
05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
New PR on bench this morning, 230. Almost missed it, got a little outside my path, but was able to recover. Followed that up with arms, doing 21s and dips. Good stuff.
Good weight their brother. Keep pushing it.

icehog3
05-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the PR, Pete. :tu

Hoping my return to the iron will come early next week.

GreekGodX
05-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Beat up on legs today. Leg workouts put a smile on my face :D

PeteSB75
05-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Good weight their brother. Keep pushing it.

Congrats on the PR, Pete. :tu

Hoping my return to the iron will come early next week.

Thanks guys. Good luck Tom. You going to do PT, or just do your own recovery?

Spin this morning for me. I hate leaving class early. Just wish they would schedule them to start at 5:30 instead of 5:45...

The Professor
05-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Beat up on legs today. Leg workouts put a smile on my face :D
now you're just rubbing it in. :(

GreekGodX
05-14-2010, 07:56 AM
now you're just rubbing it in. :(

;s Dokk I had to tell some people that actually care. I have no suitable audience for leg workout talk around here. You'll get back to it soon :tu

The Professor
05-14-2010, 08:05 AM
I tried yesterday -- machines only. I used to rep 405 deadlifts for fun. I could only hit like 65 (one leg at a time) on laying leg curls for 10. :( Also, my right leg is definitely weaker than my left -- probably a 20-30% difference, especially noticeable working the quads (which were effected by the nerve damage). I'm sure it's just psychological, but I swear the muscles in the right leg have visibly atrophied from the nerve damage. :td

You're right, though ... I'll get back soonish. hopefully things will be good in a month and I can slowly start using free weights again. :)

Mugen910
05-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I tried yesterday -- machines only. I used to rep 405 deadlifts for fun. I could only hit like 65 (one leg at a time) on laying leg curls for 10. :( Also, my right leg is definitely weaker than my left -- probably a 20-30% difference, especially noticeable working the quads (which were effected by the nerve damage). I'm sure it's just psychological, but I swear the muscles in the right leg have visibly atrophied from the nerve damage. :td

You're right, though ... I'll get back soonish. hopefully things will be good in a month and I can slowly start using free weights again. :)

Take it slow Dokk...don't want any re-injuring if possible...

icehog3
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Good luck Tom. You going to do PT, or just do your own recovery?

My PT will consist of me lifting Volkwagons, Pete...I will just try not to drop it. :r

BigFrank
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Take your time brother. Don't push it.

The Professor
05-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Take your time brother. Don't push it.
believe me, I will. that's why I'm just sad ... and not limping or worse.

PeteSB75
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
My PT will consist of me lifting Volkwagons, Pete...I will just try not to drop it. :r

:tu You can drop it, just don't drop it on yourself. Make sure it hits someone else next time :tf :r

Dead, squats and hanging leg raises for me today. Nothing special, just grinding it out. I've been neglecting my squats and deads of late, need to remedy that.

icehog3
05-16-2010, 12:39 PM
:tu You can drop it, just don't drop it on yourself. Make sure it hits someone else next time :tf :r

I will keep that in mind, Pete! :r

Hoping the doctor releases me to return to the gym later this week.

Ender
05-17-2010, 06:47 AM
I skipped leg day this week. I feel pretty guilty especially because my legs are so little. Christos already gave me grief this weekend. I'll have to make it up somewhere this week.

icehog3
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Doc cleared me to return to the gym and the ice next week. :)

Mugen910
05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Doc cleared me to return to the gym and the ice next week. :)

:wo