PDA

View Full Version : Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

The Professor
07-21-2009, 08:17 AM
push-pull day

flat bench for warmup. I can't use the flat bench in the school gym -- the lines on the ceiling make me rotate the bar, which sucks.

flat dbs to 60s
incline dbs @ 45
hammer strength decline @ 180, 200, 200

bb rows @ 135 for 2-3 sets of 10
bb rows with close, medium, wide grips -- 2 circuits to failure with each grip

bis, tris, and shoulders tomorrow ... then I'm off for a few days for some travel. :tu

icehog3
07-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Back day. Always fun after a late game. Wish me luck. :r

BigFrank
07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Tell my how you really feel, Frank. :r

While good mornings should certainly be added back into my regular rotation (they were there for a time), I'm not sure about your reasoning that form would be out the window at higher weight on pull throughs (especially if your putting your full posterior chain into the movement). I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'm just trying to understand. :tu
Just saying from experience. Yes it shouldn't be an issues with a lot of weight if one is doing them properly. Sadly this is almost never the case. 1/4 reps and sloppy form accompany pullthroughs done with the whole stack like skanky girls swarming to bars looking for men.
Just an exercise I never enjoyed and never saw the benefits in going very heavy.
Just my opinion take it for whats its worth.

zemekone
07-22-2009, 02:31 PM
swam 200m
did a hour of spin class
goin in to jiu jitsu in 5ish hours, then legs and 200 more meters

and i can deadlifted 500lbs...

icehog3
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
swam 200m
did a hour of spin class
goin in to jiu jitsu in 5ish hours, then legs and 200 more meters

and i can deadlifted 500lbs...

Shoulders and arms before work.

Hockey game after work.

And I can still make girls smile. ;)

PeteSB75
07-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Backed off a bit today. Squats, Bench and Hang Cleans. Working on form again. Tried to change the hang up a bit and think I might be getting it right this time....

PeteSB75
07-27-2009, 06:33 AM
No lifting this weekend. Was a bit tired and pre-occupied. Spin class Sunday morning. Good times.

The Professor
07-27-2009, 08:27 AM
First day in the new gym. It's nice ... except that they got WD40 ALL OVER the damn bars. Kind of hard to lift when your hands keep sliding off the bar. :rolleyes:

That said, it's a nice place and I'm pretty happy with the equipment. :tu

icehog3
07-27-2009, 09:24 AM
First day in the new gym. It's nice ... except that they got WD40 ALL OVER the damn bars. Kind of hard to lift when your hands keep sliding off the bar. :rolleyes:

That said, it's a nice place and I'm pretty happy with the equipment. :tu

On the parts of the bar you grip? That's just goofy, Dokk.

The Professor
07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
On the parts of the bar you grip? That's just goofy, Dokk.
Yeah ... I think the problem is that they left too much on the ends and it got transferred to the bar when people moved weights on and off. In retrospect, it wasn't WD40 -- it was a thicker oil-based lubricant and I saw a lot on the ends even when I was there.

jkim05
07-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Just started lifting regularly again last week. Nowhere near the numbers you guys are putting up, but you gotta start somewhere, right? My new gym is 24hrs, which is great with the odd I hours I keep.

PeteSB75
07-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Just started lifting regularly again last week. Nowhere near the numbers you guys are putting up, but you gotta start somewhere, right? My new gym is 24hrs, which is great with the odd I hours I keep.

Going regularly is much more important than worrying about how much you put up. With time and work, those numbers change anyway :2

Starchild
07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Got back in the gym this morning after taking most of last week off due to my schedule.

Crossfit WOD:
Thrusters (combined front squat and push press)
Pull ups

21-15-9 reps

Completed in 9:13 with 75lbs

jkim05
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Going regularly is much more important than worrying about how much you put up. With time and work, those numbers change anyway :2

Too true. Haven't quite hit the groove yet where it's instinctive to go to the gym, still a bit of effort required to get myself out there, but it's getting easier.

BigFrank
07-27-2009, 04:48 PM
I used to have trouble going to the gym, I dont know about your situation exactly. But I would take my gym crap and go right from work. In my mind I had no excuse not to go, became part of my routine. Going home first then sitting around kills a lot of people.

Bench Tonight.
395x6, 3 rep PR. 6 Felt strong, think I could've gotten this for an 8. No spotter and shitty bench.
Dips
20 min cardio.

Conditioning work has been killing my lower body lifts. So Ive decided to do 2 low intensity days, days before deadlifts and squats, and 3 intense cardio days.

jkim05
07-27-2009, 05:33 PM
I used to have trouble going to the gym, I dont know about your situation exactly. But I would take my gym crap and go right from work. In my mind I had no excuse not to go, became part of my routine. Going home first then sitting around kills a lot of people.

Just laziness on my part. Also, if I'm not paying attention, I'll intend to go straight from work and look up and be at home. Yeah, if I go home first, I'll never make it out. There's way to much stuff to do at home. I also figured posting on here will help keep me accountable. Can't post progress if I haven't been to the gym. :tu

PeteSB75
07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Just laziness on my part. Also, if I'm not paying attention, I'll intend to go straight from work and look up and be at home. Yeah, if I go home first, I'll never make it out. There's way to much stuff to do at home. I also figured posting on here will help keep me accountable. Can't post progress if I haven't been to the gym. :tu

When I was getting started into going regularly, I would just throw a bag in the car in the morning with workout clothes/shoes in it and go straight there after getting off the train. Really helped get me into a routine.

Good squat this morning, 320x5 new PR. Press felt off, only got one rep of 135, 130 felt very heavy. Dead was ok, 295x2 to tie PR. I think I blew my load on the squat :D :ze

Starchild
07-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Did front squats today in the Crossfit WOD

I was pretty disappointed in my 3 rep max at only 135, but they are a lot different than back squats.

The Professor
07-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Push-pull (chest-lats) plus tris today. It was fine. My bench sucked; but that's not anything new. Still getting used to the layout of the gym and the equipment.

icehog3
07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Push-pull (chest-lats) plus tris today. It was fine. My bench sucked; but that's not anything new. Still getting used to the layout of the gym and the equipment.

Gonna do chest/back today as well, Dokk, Great minds...

BigFrank
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Did front squats today in the Crossfit WOD

I was pretty disappointed in my 3 rep max at only 135, but they are a lot different than back squats.
agreed. front squats are rough. wait till you get into the 200-300 pound range and the bar feels like its going to crush your collar bone! :D

BigFrank
07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Tonights workout-
Deadlifted 530x3, 3rd felt fast off the floor, held it for a minute decided to save the rest for conditioning.
Pull ups then some calf crap, tossed in some rows, hammer curls.
12 min conditioning + Frank = Pre-workout drink in trash can.

Feeling less fat.

PeteSB75
07-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Did some speed work today, so not going heavy on anything. Squat, Bench and Hang Cleans.

Ok, so I need to switch up my workouts. I've been tossing a few options around, and I'd like to stick with a mostly full-body workout every time, as that seems to be working for me, and I like it. So, I was trying to come up with say, a 3-4 day split of exercises that centers around the core lifts - squat, dead, press, bench and power clean. I've seen a number of people posting on here about doing pushing and pulling days? I'm just unsure of what exercises to go with for each side in addition to the core. I hesitate to bench and press on the same day, because of the tricep component in each.

So here's what I am thinking to start with, just wondering if anyone can help me fill in some blanks.

Pushing days alternating:
Squat
Bench
?

Squat
Press
?

Pulling days alternating:
Dead
Pull-up
?

Cleans (hang, power)
Rows
Chins?

The Professor
07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't know if there's something different about our bars, my grip is shot, the grips have been greased, or all of the above. What I do know is that can't hold onto sh*t this week. :mad: Oh well. Sometimes sh*t happens. :rolleyes:

Hanging triplex, extra deads, pull-down abs, and pull-throughs. I'll do some more shoulder and arm stuff tomorrow before having an all cardio, all the time weekend. :r

zonedar
08-01-2009, 02:59 PM
My bench SUCKS(!) and it ain't getting any better. Any pointers/tips to help me get past my plateau I'm stuck at?

Thinking about asking my gym to get some chains (http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_lifting_powerlifting_chains_resistance). Worth it?

icehog3
08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Do you do flat benches every workout? If so, change it up. Start with inclines or incline DBS for a workout, and do a few other chest exercises without doing any flat bench. Next workout, do some flat DBs but no flat bench. Then come back to the flat bench a couple workouts later.

If you already change up your routine, let us know what you do. I am sure some of the guys here will have some more suggestions.

DavenportESQ
08-02-2009, 12:08 AM
My bench SUCKS(!) and it ain't getting any better. Any pointers/tips to help me get past my plateau I'm stuck at?

Thinking about asking my gym to get some chains (http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_lifting_powerlifting_chains_resistance). Worth it?

Not worth it IMO. Chains/bands I would say are for more experienced lifters, not something that you should mess with....Even guys who use chains/bands have a very regimented work out...

I dont know much about improving you bench. but heres what I would do..

Flat Bench less, or if you are work different grips..

Look at the biggest benchers in the world what are the two things they have in common. Huge Triceps, and huge lats...Do more exercises that incorporate the two..Also what is ur workout plan like? If you go in and try and max out everyday you won't get strong. Try a new rep/set scheme

Mostly, try new things, do more lat stuff. If you can wide grip pull ups Tricep presses, dips etc.

DavenportESQ
08-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Did some speed work today, so not going heavy on anything. Squat, Bench and Hang Cleans.

Ok, so I need to switch up my workouts. I've been tossing a few options around, and I'd like to stick with a mostly full-body workout every time, as that seems to be working for me, and I like it. So, I was trying to come up with say, a 3-4 day split of exercises that centers around the core lifts - squat, dead, press, bench and power clean. I've seen a number of people posting on here about doing pushing and pulling days? I'm just unsure of what exercises to go with for each side in addition to the core. I hesitate to bench and press on the same day, because of the tricep component in each.

So here's what I am thinking to start with, just wondering if anyone can help me fill in some blanks.

Pushing days alternating:
Squat
Bench
?

Squat
Press
?

Pulling days alternating:
Dead
Pull-up
?

Cleans (hang, power)
Rows
Chins?

If It were me I would do something opposite..Like if you are going to have a big push day also work a pull. This helps balance in your body, and helps you so you do not get really tight, prevents injuries etc. On your big bench days I would add Pull ups.

I would also say don't flat bench twice a week or back squat twice a week.

Maybe on your heavy chest day do lighter front squats? On your heavy back squat do a light military or incline press..I would def work Rows on one upper press, and pull ups on the other. No reason to do hang cleans and power cleans on the same day. Why not have one day where you do your power cleans and maybe do less reps heavier weight from the floor. and work up so when you get too heavy you can just work them into deadlifts?

People forget that Cleans are suppose to be quick explosive movements, so on these days you want to start with them and make them priority of the day. Everything after should be a supplement because they are so "complex"

here is what I might do

Day 1
Power Cleans (pull)
Overhead Press(Light and explosive)

Day 2 (heavy Upper body Press, light lower body press, but high rep pulls as your supplemental lifts)
Bench Press
Front Squat
Supplemental lifts include pull ups, dips, rows etc.

Day 3
Hang Cleans(light and explosive)
Seated Presses(I would have a heavier overhead press workout, Seated military DB)

Day 4
Back Squat(Heavy)
Incline Press(lighter)
Supplemental lifts include Leg curls, maybe good AM's, Glute ham raises. Another pull, trying to think

just a quick idea add in your auxilary lifts Day 4 kinda sucks because its 2 presses, but im trying to think about what else you could do Ijust through this together quickly, sorry hope it helps

BigFrank
08-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Drop the weight back and learn how to properly bench. A lot of it is technique. Then work your way back up. Like Daven said, heavy tricep and upper back / lats cannot be ignored for a big bench.
But this would be for powerlifting or pure strength. Think you need to be a little more precise about it. Hard to serve more than one master in the Iron game.

zonedar
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
A little background. I'm 49, about 6' 4.5". 210lbs. Always been week in the upper body (really skinny kid). Been lifting weights for about a year and a half. Wife says I'm looking pretty good.

Lately my workout has been something like this:

Chest/Tri day
Bench BB 2-3 set of 12 really light warm up
Bench BB 3 set of 8 to close to failure on the eighth of the third set.
Incline DB 3 sets of eight
Decline DB or Lying DB Tricep Extension 3 sets of 8-10
Cable Pullovers 3 sets of 10-12

Back Shoulder
Wide Cable Pulldowns 2-3 sets of 12 really light
Wide Cable Pulldowns 3 sets of 8 heavy
Cable Rows 3 sets of 8
One-Arm Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 8
Shrugs 3 sets of 8

Leg
Leg presses 2-3 sets of 12 really light
Leg presses 3 sets of 8 heavy
Squats 3 sets of 8
Leg Curls 3 sets of 8
leg extensions 3 sets of 8 heavy

Arm
BB curls 2-3 sets of 12 really light
BB curls 3 sets of 8 heavy
DB curls 3 sets of 8
Preacher curls (either machine or EZ Bar)
21's with BB (relatively light)

I alternatively do some abs and lower back stuff every gym day.

Looking at the following (got it off Bodybuilding.com):

Chest Day
*Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Flat Bench Press: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Back Day
*Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Bent Over Barbell Row: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Close-Grip Pulldown: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Dumbbell Shrug: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Leg Day
*Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Squat: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Lying Leg Curl: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Leg Press: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Arm Day
*Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Skullcrusher: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Close-Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Cable Curl: 2 sets of 25 reps *
*Triceps Pushdown: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Thoughts?

Maybe do like Frank says go light for a while to work on technique and then start working up again? My triceps suck too, BTW. ;)

DavenportESQ
08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Drop the weight back and learn how to properly bench. A lot of it is technique. Then work your way back up. Like Daven said, heavy tricep and upper back / lats cannot be ignored for a big bench.
But this would be for powerlifting or pure strength. Think you need to be a little more precise about it. Hard to serve more than one master in the Iron game.

Good Point Frank. I didn't learn to really bench till college. When learning and adjusting my bench dropped 25 lbs. But now that I know how to bench, I like to think I will never bench under 405...But thats just me being cocky..:ss

A couple pointers on technique that worked for me. I always thought about "making a big chest" as if you were posing and pushing your chest out. This tightens your lower back and your lats. Then I think about bringing my elbows in and lowering the weight in an arc. Then when you drive up pushing back towards the rack

BigFrank
08-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I always used to mental image of pushing something away from me. Helps me keep upper back tight and driven into the bench.

Chris.
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
the hardest part of the bench is form. Especially keeping the elbows tucked in. I find that wrapping the thumbs over the bar instead of under it, helps tremendously with tucking the elbows.

icehog3
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Looking at the following (got it off Bodybuilding.com):

Chest Day
*Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Flat Bench Press: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Back Day
*Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Bent Over Barbell Row: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Close-Grip Pulldown: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Dumbbell Shrug: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Leg Day
*Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Squat: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Lying Leg Curl: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Leg Press: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Arm Day
*Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Skullcrusher: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Close-Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Cable Curl: 2 sets of 25 reps *
*Triceps Pushdown: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Thoughts?

Great for one time through, then you have to alternate exercises, order, reps, something. The body grows tolerant of the same stress quickly...so in other words, if you did that same chest routine every chest day, you would soon grow stale again.

Second time through, maybe alternate the order....do the dumbbell inclines before the flat bench. Or switch exercises....do incline barbell and flat dumbbells. Or do the higher rep sets with less weight on the flat bench, and heavier lower rep sets on the incline dbs. The point is, keep switching it up to keep your body (and mind) fresh.

I also don't see any shoulder (deltoid) work, you don't want to neglect that.

zonedar
08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Good advice. I'll try and mix it up a bit each week. I'll add in some arnolds and bent over DB delt raises to the back day.

Thanks!

icehog3
08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Good advice. I'll try and mix it up a bit each week. I'll add in some arnolds and bent over DB delt raises to the back day.

Thanks!

Good luck....kick some azz! :ze

elderboy02
08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
On Friday, I did some time on the treadmill and then my boss (physical therapist) showed me some exercises to try.

PeteSB75
08-03-2009, 06:36 AM
If It were me I would do something opposite..Like if you are going to have a big push day also work a pull. This helps balance in your body, and helps you so you do not get really tight, prevents injuries etc. On your big bench days I would add Pull ups.

I would also say don't flat bench twice a week or back squat twice a week.

Maybe on your heavy chest day do lighter front squats? On your heavy back squat do a light military or incline press..I would def work Rows on one upper press, and pull ups on the other. No reason to do hang cleans and power cleans on the same day. Why not have one day where you do your power cleans and maybe do less reps heavier weight from the floor. and work up so when you get too heavy you can just work them into deadlifts?

People forget that Cleans are suppose to be quick explosive movements, so on these days you want to start with them and make them priority of the day. Everything after should be a supplement because they are so "complex"

here is what I might do

Day 1
Power Cleans (pull)
Overhead Press(Light and explosive)

Day 2 (heavy Upper body Press, light lower body press, but high rep pulls as your supplemental lifts)
Bench Press
Front Squat
Supplemental lifts include pull ups, dips, rows etc.

Day 3
Hang Cleans(light and explosive)
Seated Presses(I would have a heavier overhead press workout, Seated military DB)

Day 4
Back Squat(Heavy)
Incline Press(lighter)
Supplemental lifts include Leg curls, maybe good AM's, Glute ham raises. Another pull, trying to think

just a quick idea add in your auxilary lifts Day 4 kinda sucks because its 2 presses, but im trying to think about what else you could do Ijust through this together quickly, sorry hope it helps
Thanks for the input. I'm going for strength rather than hypertrophy, so I'll likely stick with lower reps at any given time, just varying between 5 reps at 85% 1RM heavy days, 5@70% medium and 5@55/60% light days.

After I posted, I thought about the squat thing as well, and figured I could do front squats instead of back one day, so nice to see that coming from you as well.

Interesting point about doing pushing and pulling in one workout, and one I hadn't realized, so thanks :ss I'm taking a week off for vacation after shack, so I'll probably start this then.

As for this weekend, I was lazy on Saturday and went to the beach instead of the gym... Spin on Sunday.

DavenportESQ
08-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm going for strength rather than hypertrophy, so I'll likely stick with lower reps at any given time, just varying between 5 reps at 85% 1RM heavy days, 5@70% medium and 5@55/60% light days.

After I posted, I thought about the squat thing as well, and figured I could do front squats instead of back one day, so nice to see that coming from you as well.

Interesting point about doing pushing and pulling in one workout, and one I hadn't realized, so thanks :ss I'm taking a week off for vacation after shack, so I'll probably start this then.

As for this weekend, I was lazy on Saturday and went to the beach instead of the gym... Spin on Sunday.

No problem! Good luck with everything...Just a little FYI you can build strength by doing high rep work. A good pyramid scheme would be something like 12-10-8-6-12 The last set is more of a failure set than a work set, I think you need to have more volume than just 3 work sets at a certain weight/percentage, I would do at a minimum 5 sets of 5 and if you going to just do 3's prob. close to 10 sets...Those would each give you an approx 25-30 reps at work weight. This would still be considered a strength builder

Starchild
08-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Did our Crossfit WOD this morning:

Good warm up, then
Body weight deadlift ladder (1st min-1 rep, 2nd min-2 reps,.....)
When you can't complete the reps for that minute, run 1 mile.

I went a little light on the weight at 185 (I'm closer to 195), and finished the 7th rnd. I got half way through the 8th, and my lower back said no more. Total of 30 reps in 7:30.

I'm sure I'll feel this getting out of bed tomorrow.

The Professor
08-03-2009, 09:25 AM
did legs today to start off the week. super-sets of stiff-legged deads (from 135 to 275) and leg presses (from 2p to 12p). followed that up with some leg extensions (haven't done those in about a year), pull-throughs, and pull-down abs. followed with a bunch of stretching.

Chris.
08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I tried those pull down abs during my last workout and didnt like it. It didnt feel like it was targeting my abs much.

The Professor
08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
They involve a lot more stabilizers, which is why I like them -- they're a functional, complex ab exercise that helps the squat and dead. As far as really targeting the abs, something like a cable rope crunch or leg raise is probably better.

icehog3
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Just a little FYI you can build strength by doing high rep work.

Absolutely.....my maxs at 2-3 reps has gone up considerably since adding a lot of high rep work on alternating days a couple years ago.....helped me out big time, and cut down on shoulder and elbow injuries too.

BigFrank
08-03-2009, 01:45 PM
High Rep? I can't count past 5 =(, but I could tell you what 85% of my 3rm is including light bands =(

BigFrank
08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
405 x 5 for Bench tonight, did some dips then some kaz extensions. 20 min cardio then bounced. GF was mad I was only at the gym an hour :confused:
:ss

PeteSB75
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
405 x 5 for Bench tonight, did some dips then some kaz extensions. 20 min cardio then bounced. GF was mad I was only at the gym an hour :confused:
:ss

She wanted you out of the house so she could watch shark week alone?

Good workout this morning. Squat 320x5 3 sets (tie PR), Press 135x5 (tie PR) and Dead 305x2 (PR).

BigFrank
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
She wanted you out of the house so she could watch shark week alone?

No idea, I've stopped trying with women. I just work, not hit them, and avoid the bar. I figure that's asking enough...

Pulled tonight
550x2 felt like a ton, crap bar at commercial gym. Real deadlift bars spoil me.
Pull ups good mornings rows and abs.

Rolled out of the gym. Felt kinda lazy because I skipped cardio.

The Professor
08-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Felt strong (for my weak ass) today. Hit two personal records today: DB flat bench 70s x 4 & DB 1-arm row 115s x 6. Did some other stuff, too (incline DB, hammer strength declines, 204lb dips, overhead triceps extensions, etc.) ... all icing compared to the bookend PRs. :tu

icehog3
08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Congrats on the PRs, Dokk!

Off day for me, back for a double-dose tomorrow. :)

BigFrank
08-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Felt strong (for my weak ass) today. Hit two personal records today: DB flat bench 70s x 4 & DB 1-arm row 115s x 6. Did some other stuff, too (incline DB, hammer strength declines, 204lb dips, overhead triceps extensions, etc.) ... all icing compared to the bookend PRs. :tu
I miss hammer strength machines =( stupid golds doesnt carry them. and i wouldnt dare ask for them at the powerlifting gym :(

The Professor
08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I miss hammer strength machines =( stupid golds doesnt carry them. and i wouldnt dare ask for them at the powerlifting gym :(
I love 'em for the support exercises I use them for. :tu

Just got back from my first time ever doing yoga. My two thoughts: (a) that was frickin' hard; (b) that was frickin' AWESOME. I'm gonna do it every Wednesday. I didn't realize how bad my flexibility and balance had gotten until tonight. Wow. I wish I hadn't done it on a day I PRed on a back lift and compound chest lift. :r But whatev. I'll be back every week ... and will probably be the only guy for a while.

BigFrank
08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Although my overall manliness would ultimately prevent me from doing yoga, I wouldnt see it as such a bad thing to improve flexibility and balance like you said Dokk. But I will never do it, ever.

I miss hammer strength rowing machines, all three and the incline chest.

icehog3
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Just got back from my first time ever doing yoga. My two thoughts: (a) that was frickin' hard; (b) that was frickin' AWESOME. I'm gonna do it every Wednesday. I didn't realize how bad my flexibility and balance had gotten until tonight. Wow. I wish I hadn't done it on a day I PRed on a back lift and compound chest lift. :r But whatev. I'll be back every week ... and will probably be the only guy for a while.

Maybe Macy's will have a sale on leotards on Tuesday. ;) :fu

The Professor
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe Macy's will have a sale on leotards on Tuesday. ;) :fu
Har har har. :fu2 :r

Laugh it up; but I think this is going to improve my lifts in some important ways. :tu

icehog3
08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Har har har. :fu2 :r

Laugh it up; but I think this is going to improve my lifts in some important ways. :tu

If not you can always opt for a girdle and the Miracle Bra. ;)

Love you!!!! :D

PeteSB75
08-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Don't worry Dokk, you know Tom and Frank would be in the yoga room if they could :dance: Last time they tried, the gurls beat em up and threw em out the door :ze :ze

The Professor
08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
If not you can always opt for a girdle and the Miracle Bra. ;)

Love you!!!! :D
Hey ... you said you liked my tits just the way they are!!! :mad:

icehog3
08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey ... you said you liked my tits just the way they are!!! :mad:

I said "if you were a goat....". ;)

PeteSB75
08-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Good lifts this morning. Lighter day squatting. New PR on Bench - 195x3. Good hang cleans.

Starchild
08-06-2009, 06:54 AM

For several years, yoga was the only workout I did :tu I'm actually a certified instructor, but I haven't taught much. I'm not nearly as flexible as I was, but it has served me well with a lot of exercises. Most people don't put nearly enough emphasis on flexibility as a part of overall fitness.

There are tons of different styles, from those that put me to sleep (literally), and those that kicked my butt.

As for being the only guy in class, no complaints here. I met my wife in a yoga class :D

Glad you enjoyed it!

PeteSB75
08-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that more people don't do it. Only makes sense, spend all that time strengthening your muscles and so little strengthening your tendons and ligaments. Probably prevent a lot of injuries as well as improving most of your lifts.

icehog3
08-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I will be starting the "Yoga with The Professor and PeteSB75" thread momentarily. :)

The Professor
08-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that more people don't do it. Only makes sense, spend all that time strengthening your muscles and so little strengthening your tendons and ligaments. Probably prevent a lot of injuries as well as improving most of your lifts.
That's what I'm thinking ... despite what the manliest men in the thread think. ;) :r

Had another big PR day. It was just bis and tris today. Started out with overhead rope extensions up to 130 and one-arm press-downs to 50 as a warmup and what I thought was the first chunk of my triceps workout. Followed up with tate presses to 45 x 7, 6, 5. Couldn't go as heavy as usual b/c my left front delt was a little sore from yesterday's lifts and yoga. Moved onto bis: HammerStrength preachers @ 60 x 8,8,7; db hammers @ 30 (those were supersetted w/ the preachers); straight bar curls 75 x 6,8,6; cable cambered curls @ 100 x 10,10,9.

I thought I was done here. But I realized that I still had some energy and kind of wondered what some tri exercises would be like after having warmed up a lot. So I put a straight bar on one cable and a rope on the other and began supersetting pressdowns (starting at 150) and overhead extensions (at 120). Well ... 150 was too easy; so I tried 170 and kicked out 8 -- a PR on reps. Then I set it at 180 and kicked out 4, another PR. 190? Sure -- for 3! 200 (the full stack)? You betcha! Kicked that out for 3, too. :dance:

:wo

Genetic Defect
08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
a 10% off coupon for all Controlled Labs products on Bodybuilding.com
coupon code 'CLROCKS10PerOff' upon check out, the discount will be applied.

zemekone
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
i know i been missing a bit...

today deadlift day:

185lbs x 15
225lbs x 15
275lbs x 10
315lbs x 8 x 7

and i dislocated my toe last night...

gorob23
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
i know i been missing a bit...

and i dislocated my toe last night...

:r WTF is wrong with you! Never yell at a "dad" :r we need a herf :tu

Rob :tpd:

Oh yea played Vb yesterday does that count:tu

zemekone
08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh yea played Vb yesterday does that count:tu

it always counts :tu

and you cant beat dad cuz he is always right :confused:

gorob23
08-06-2009, 11:27 AM
it always counts :tu

and you cant beat dad cuz he is always right :confused:

:banger

icehog3
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I hit some personal bests on inclines and pullups today...and I didn't even have to do any yoga to do it. :D

BigFrank
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Assistance day, more like overhead press day. I also hit some PRs. sans yoga.

The Professor
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
both of y'all can bite me. :tg :fu2 :r

icehog3
08-06-2009, 09:42 PM

I am not familiar, is that "yoga speak"? :r

Genetic Defect
08-06-2009, 10:15 PM

:dr eatin is good :tu

The Professor
08-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Another day or PBs on rear delt raises (I struggle with shoulders). I really think my supplementation regimen has hit the spot. :tu

landhoney
08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Any tips on increasing vertical leap?

I am a fairly good volleyball player and am going to be joining a league soon, need to improve my jump though. I am already trimming down(fat) so I weigh less, makes it easier to jump:D. But I know I need to do excersises to increase my vertical leap/jump. Any ideas?

The Professor
08-07-2009, 09:36 AM

I am a fairly good volleyball player and am going to be joining a league soon, need to improve my jump though. I am already trimming down(fat) so I weigh less, makes it easier to jump:D. But I know I need to do excersises to increase my vertical leap/jump. Any ideas?
Have you tried ... jumping? ;)

I know that sounds like a stupid question; but there a lot of different ways to jump (from standing, from seated, from running, with weight, etc.) that people sometimes don't think about.

Field boy Dave is going to have some better recommendations, I'm sure....

landhoney
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Have you tried ... jumping? ;)

I know that sounds like a stupid question; but there a lot of different ways to jump (from standing, from seated, from running, with weight, etc.) that people sometimes don't think about.

Field boy Dave is going to have some better recommendations, I'm sure....

I haven't tried anything other than just playing volleyball and jumping while playing. I just found out about this league, and decided to try to improve my leap. Those are excellent suggestions and I will try them. :tu

PeteSB75
08-07-2009, 09:52 AM

Squats, one-legged squats, step-ups, calf raises and lunges would all be good for general strength in that area. Power Cleans would probably be the best for having the most impact on your vertical jump. Being an explosive exercise, it's all about rapid recruitment of muscle in the legs, trunk and shoulders, exactly what you are trying to do while jumping.

Chris.
08-07-2009, 09:57 AM
calf raises are going to help a lot IMO also. You have to press your body away from the floor by doing a "calf raise" when you jump, so it makes sense.

landhoney
08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Squats, one-legged squats, step-ups, calf raises and lunges would all be good for general strength in that area. Power Cleans would probably be the best for having the most impact on your vertical jump. Being an explosive exercise, it's all about rapid recruitment of muscle in the legs, trunk and shoulders, exactly what you are trying to do while jumping.

Thank you, I will try these as well. :tu

icehog3
08-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Actually did hit a PR on an exercise today, but it was a "cosmetic" lift so I ain't tooting my horn. :r

BigFrank
08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Off to squat.

Going to superset yoga, with lifetime network movies. Followed by some High intensity Ben and Jerry Ice Cream eating. Then im going to finish it off with some hand holding, cuddling, and talking about my feelings.

Sorry Dokk...

BigFrank
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Add come cleans in there so your upper body doesnt get chumped.

I would also do some bicep curls (30-40 sets) whilst looking in the mirror at your massive pump. I advocate using heavy weight, in the power rack, with extra lower body and lower back involvement. :r:r:r:r

PeteSB75
08-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I hear yoga helps too. At least that's what Frank said. :tf

The Professor
08-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Off to squat.

Going to superset yoga, with lifetime network movies. Followed by some High intensity Ben and Jerry Ice Cream eating. Then im going to finish it off with some hand holding, cuddling, and talking about my feelings.

Sorry Dokk...
Fuuuuk ... real ice cream sounds awesome. :r:r:r

Oh ... and F U. :fu2 :tg

icehog3
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Fuuuuk ... real ice cream sounds awesome. :r:r

Oh ... and F U. :fu2 :tg

Love is in the air. :)

PeteSB75
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Started cycling heavy, med and light days, as I just can't keep going heavy every day. Medium day today, felt good. Squats, Press and Dead.

The Professor
08-10-2009, 05:03 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/cs_the_professor/jim-monolift-1600.jpg

The Professor
08-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Good day in the gym. On a traditional 4-day split for the next 4 weeks. Chest/tri today. Only worked up to 165 x 3 on flat bench, which is what I led with after warmups. Worked up to 148 x 3 on incline Hammer Strength. Dips were a personal best @ 275 x 5 on the Hammer Strength. Followed that up with overhead triceps extensions @ either 85 or 95 (not sure if our EZ bar is a 25lb or 35lb model) x 5/5/4. Finished things off with a personal best for reps on triceps press-downsm @ 200 x 4/3/4. Tried to finish things off with some overhead cable rope extensions; but my tris were shot and I only knocked out one rep. :r

Happy lifting to all today. :ze

PeteSB75
08-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Went to spin yesterday. Room was damn hot, AC wasn't working very well. Sweated my a$$ off. Hung my shirt on the back of the bedroom door and went through the doorway a couple hours later, stepping in a puddle on the floor... :ze

Off day today. Heavy tomorrow!

jkim05
08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Had a good back day yesterday. Tried Black Powder yesterday before my workout. Anyone have any experience with it. They had single serving packs at my gym so I figured I'd try a couple to see how I felt as I've never taken any preworkout supplements before. I think it helped and I liked how it tasted so I'll try it out a couple more times and order some if I think it continues to help. Gonna work on legs today.

BigFrank
08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
glad everyone is having good workouts.

deload week for me. bench today, but nothing serious. might stretch some later and do some foam rolling. then eat ice cream.

jkim you should hit me up if your in the b-more area im only like 45min north of ya, maybe less.

jkim05
08-10-2009, 04:21 PM

deload week for me. bench today, but nothing serious. might stretch some later and do some foam rolling. then eat ice cream.

jkim you should hit me up if your in the b-more area im only like 45min north of ya, maybe less.

I'm usually closer to DC but on Tuesdays I'm at the office in Towson, so I shouldn't be to far from you then.

The Professor
08-10-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm usually closer to DC but on Tuesdays I'm at the office in Towson, so I shouldn't be to far from you then.

maybe you two could get together for some yoga and ice cream. :tf

BigFrank
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
thats about 20-30 minutes from where I train. usually train at the crappy gym on tuesday
ice cream maybe :r

Genetic Defect
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM

not everyone is part of the Longhorn Athletics Dept.

WildBlueSooner
08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
not everyone is part of the Longhorn Athletics Dept.

:banger:r:r

WildBlueSooner
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Did chest and back today...tried to wake up this morning for some swimming...too damn tired. I did get my bodyfat testes (8.3%). My goal is 6%, I hope to achieve that in 3 months.

Genetic Defect
08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
:banger:r:r

:D

icehog3
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Did chest and back today...tried to wake up this morning for some swimming...too damn tired. I did get my bodyfat testes (8.3%). My goal is 6%, I hope to achieve that in 3 months.

Those are some lean testes, indeed! :tu

Hit a PR on incline dumbbells today, one more workout tomorrow and then 5 days off from the gym while I'm at the Shack Herf. I don't really want to take the break, but I am sure it is ultimately a good thing.

WildBlueSooner
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Hit a PR on incline dumbbells today, one more workout tomorrow and then 5 days off from the gym while I'm at the Shack Herf. I don't really want to take the break, but I am sure it is ultimately a good thing.

:r:r:r I just showered my screen with saliva. Thanks for pointing that out Tom!

Genetic Defect
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM

:r:r

WildBlueSooner
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I just told my wife about my lean testes....she said "what in the hell are you talking about?"
:r

Genetic Defect
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I just told my wife about my lean testes....she said "what in the hell are you talking about?"
:r

I take it she isn't into fitness, perhaps a visual will help?:r

WildBlueSooner
08-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I take it she isn't into fitness, perhaps a visual will help?:r

I would give her a visual, but I am afraid I would not have them for long...how the would I reach my goal?

Genetic Defect
08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I would give her a visual, but I am afraid I would not have them for long...how the would I reach my goal?

you're right, once she sees how lean they are :r

icehog3
08-10-2009, 08:31 PM
TMI, James! :r

WildBlueSooner
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Ok I am done sharing this personal information with you all! This is a good thread that I have overlooked for a long time...I will now keep up with it!

PeteSB75
08-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Good PR day this morning. Squats at 325x5 3 sets (new PR), Bench at 195x5 (new PR). Finished off with some pull-up assists as I was beat after that.

The Professor
08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
heavy back day....

deads to 405 x 1. failed @ 425.
bent-over rows to 225 x 5.
pull-downs to 320 x 5. failed @ 360 x 1. (PR)
db 1-arm rows to 120 x 4. (PR)
followed it up with some different biceps lifts -- hammer curls, ez bar curls, preachers.

felt pretty good. :banger there's something odd about our bars, though. haven't quite put my finger on it. can't tell if they're too fat, too knurled, too oiled, or what. :hm excuses. :r

icehog3
08-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Good job, Dokk!

Heading in for what will be my last workout for 5 days...like I said yesterday, things are going great and I don't really need the break mentally or physically, but it may end up being good for me anyway.

PeteSB75
08-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Good job, Dokk!

Heading in for what will be my last workout for 5 days...like I said yesterday, things are going great and I don't really need the break mentally or physically, but it may end up being good for me anyway.

Hey, if nothing else, you will get rested and go back in with renewed energy, damnit!

icehog3
08-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, if nothing else, you will get rested and go back in with renewed energy, damnit!

I have to look at it that way, Pete, since there's no gym at the Shack. :)

Ken
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Great! The wife and I are getting a team together ourselves. Haven't played the last couple of years and I'm ready for some volleyball.

Box Jumps would be the basic to start with. Plyos train explosiveness & the jumps will help you get out of the hole. But if you're already lifting I'd say Deadlift + B-Jump to really get the whole leg/hip/ass moving. The combination will improve your dynamic power with is needed in sports. Even use 25's for the deadlift to force your butt lower and get those legs working even more. Though the main goal here isn't how strong you can be, but how explosive you can be, so don't worry about a heavy load.

Depth Jumps should also be on your list. Though I prefer to setup a couple of obstacles, like hurdles, to jump over. I'll do this with buckets, balls, sticks, etc.. and very the height and width.

I'd also say get a heavy medicine ball, hold chest level, hands under with elbows tucked under, squat down and explode up shoving the ball upward. Think about what it will take for you to jump at the net with your arms reaching up. And then medicine ball throws.

And yea, being less fat helps. I know!;)

Good luck playing.

landhoney
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Good luck playing.

Thanks for the tips Ken, and good luck to you too! I have started jumping in various ways (as per The Professor's tips): while running, from squating, etc. Also doing power cleans.

I'm 6' 1'' and 168lbs(have dropped 17 pounds in the last few months), slim but there's still some excess fat to lose. I am also trying to improve my overall strength and muscle mass. I can spike the volloyball fairly well, but could use a few more inches, especially for blocking.

I guess I need to start measuring my current jump, and track my progress. :tu

zemekone
08-11-2009, 10:49 AM
back day:
100 pullups 3 diffrent grips
bent over rows 3 sets of 205
deadlifts 5 sets of 275

swam 200m

jiu jitsu in 2 hours
jiu jitsu in 8 hours

WildBlueSooner
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I have some plyometrics training today when I get off work...always a sweet workout!

BigFrank
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
another boring deload night for me. I feel so lame using 60% for 5 reps. Then practically walking out of the gym without breaking a sweat.

icehog3
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Low energy day for my last workout for 5 days...maybe the break is coming at a good time.

WildBlueSooner
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I have some plyometrics training today when I get off work...always a sweet workout!

Just finished about 30 mins ago....I am f'in spent!

Steelerfanatic
08-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Great thread.

I just finished up the Plyometrics day of P90X. I am on day 2 of week 5 and I am completely amazed at how much of a difference I can tell in both strength and physique. This is a great program.

WildBlueSooner
08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Great thread.

I just finished up the Plyometrics day of P90X. I am on day 2 of week 5 and I am completely amazed at how much of a difference I can tell in both strength and physique. This is a great program.

I am on Wk 3 now. I finished the program last year w/ crazy results.

Rock Star
08-11-2009, 11:01 PM
i just finished 24 oz.

PeteSB75
08-12-2009, 06:48 AM
another boring deload night for me. I feel so lame using 60% for 5 reps. Then practically walking out of the gym without breaking a sweat.

It is weird.

The Professor
08-12-2009, 07:28 AM
"off" day -- cardio and abs. I'll go do YOGA (jackasses) this evening before dinner. :tf

icehog3
08-12-2009, 08:39 AM
"off" day -- cardio and abs. I'll go do YOGA (jackasses) this evening before dinner. :tf

Sally. ;)

See you next week Dokk! :)

jkim05
08-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Chest and Tri's yesterday. Gotta get some workouts in before I leave for Shack tom.

The Professor
08-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Sally. ;)

See you next week Dokk! :)
hugs and kisses, big boy. :D

BigFrank
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Low energy day for my last workout for 5 days...maybe the break is coming at a good time.
I was reading an article last night, and it talked about taking 6 weeks off at least once a year.!
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/a_novel_approach_to_rest_periods

WildBlueSooner
08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Getting ready to start shoulders and arms!

The Professor
08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Mental note: if you're planning to do yoga in the evening, you might not want to do weighted ab exercises to failure for over 100 reps. For example, 200lb cable rope crunches or 200lb pull down abs -- bad idea. 75lb db oblique lifts -- bad idea.

Alternately, you could just not do yoga in the evening. ;)

"Off" day my ass! :r

WildBlueSooner
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Damn...my arms are feelin it! What a great workout today! Tomorrow is a cardio day.

Ken
08-12-2009, 08:37 PM
I can spike the volloyball fairly well, but could use a few more inches, especially for blocking.

I'll just add that the Depth & Box Jumps are a proven way to get it done. Adding some strength and mass will only aid you in the whole game; bonus.:tu

elderboy02
08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I did some cardio today as well as arms, shoulders, and legs :ze

PeteSB75
08-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Deloading day today. Knees are bothering me a bit...

The Professor
08-13-2009, 07:47 AM
weak leg day, today.

275lb box squats past parallel
275lb stiff legged deads
14pie leg presses
pull-throughs

no PRs, felt tired ... need to eat more today. :)

WildBlueSooner
08-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Today is cardio...plan on getting in a run in this Louisiana heat and humidity!

The Professor
08-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Shoulders and traps, today. I need a lifting partner so bad, it's not even funny. PRed on db shoulder presses and rear delt raises. Did farmer's walks for the first time, which was cool :tu ... except for the people who would get in my way, which was lame. :td

Starchild
08-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Todays workout was high bar back squats. I really worked on form and depth on these. Felt good.

Starscream
08-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I go back to work on Wednesday. Can't wait to get back in the gym!

BigFrank
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
some light squatting in a few, then some chinese food. lol

i just watched 2 girls one cyst, nasty.

The Professor
08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
If that is anything like 2g1c, I'm not sure I could finish it. :pu

Enjoy your Chinese food!
Posted via Mobile Device

WildBlueSooner
08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Today was my off day...tomorrow cardio and abs and Monday begins my recovery week!

The Professor
08-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Off day for me, too. No lifting. http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/209/6/c/Lifter_by_Dabombguyman.gif Just some cardio. http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/266/7/f/_runspit__by_Daylight_at_Midnight.gif

Tomorrow will be racquetball. :D

WildBlueSooner
08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Off day for me, too. No lifting. http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/209/6/c/Lifter_by_Dabombguyman.gif Just some cardio. http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/266/7/f/_runspit__by_Daylight_at_Midnight.gif

Tomorrow will be racquetball. :D

I love me some racquetball!

Starchild
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I tweaked my knee a bit doing overhead squats on Saturday, so I took it a bit easy on todays workout.

Warm up:
1600 m run

Crosfit WOD:
30 kettle bells
30 cleans 95lbs (I did hang power cleans)
30 back extensions
30 pull ups
30 second handstand
30 deadlifts 95lbs
300 jump rope

My time was 22:44

King James
08-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Haven't been in this thread in awhile, and have been slacking a little bit with lifting. Back on schedule this week and will pop my head in a little more often

BigFrank
08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Off work today due to some family issues...

Hit the gym early, did some bench. incline, dips then ropes. I think I may do dips before incline or skip incline all together, my dips really blew ass after incline press.

Managed to gain 6 lbs during my week of deload. I have no idea how this happened, but according to the gym scale this occurred. I think I need to weigh myself more often, keep track of it and/or get my own scale. The one at the gym is seriously questionable. As in step on it 4 times in a row and get 4 wide varying weights.

Meet I am gearing up for is Nov. 7th. As of right now that gives me roughly 11 weeks. Weight is no where near where I want it, and I really would like to avoid dropping weight days before. This has ruined me in the past. Strength is so so. But then again I dont think anyone is ever happy with that. Deadlifting feels terrible in recent weeks but squat and bench feel better. Dunno right now. Got Vacation at the end of the month. Before I leave I will cook up a game plan when I get back.

WildBlueSooner
08-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Today is day 2 of my recovery week, core synergistics for today! :tu

Starchild
08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Crossfit WOD today was nothing but deadlifts. After a good warm up, we pounded out 150 reps. My time was 13:15 at 95#. Jumped on the bench press machine afterward and knocked out a couple sets.

Ken
08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Anyone here like putting plates under their heels during front squats? I personally do not though I might be missing good reasoning behind it.

jkim05
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Legs today. Just couldn't seem to get going so I quit a bit early and did some cardio

WildBlueSooner
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Core Synergistics after work today

BigFrank
08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone here like putting plates under their heels during front squats? I personally do not though I might be missing good reasoning behind it.
I don't care for it personally.
The reasoning behind it, is to direct more of the focus on your quads. Push with your toes, its going to be mainly quads. Push with your heels its going to be mainly hamstrings doing the work.
Only thing I can add to this would be avoid doing it all of the time. Eventually your quads will totally over power your squat. In my observations guys, that avoid and/or cannot go deep in the squat is directly linked to weak hamstrings.

Use them sparingly, also, I would go light and high rep with these.

The Professor
08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
a quick back/bi day this morning b/c i got up late. hit pull-downs heavy, bent-over rows, one-arm rows (PR), one-arm reverse-grip pull-downs, hammer curls, and preacher curls.

in and out in under an hour ... just like prom. ;)

BigFrank
08-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Hit some back today. that's bout it.

i feel extremely tired.

The Professor
08-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Hit some back today. that's bout it.

i feel extremely tired.
:tpd:

I'm in and out of consciousness. :r

jkim05
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey, i realized that I'm starting to develop some stretch marks on my pecs and arms. I freaked out last night, but I've calmed down a bit and wanted to see if you guys had any opinions/solutions. Is that just a part of lifting, or is there something I can actually do about it?

Chris.
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Dont women rub sunflower oil or something on their pregnant bellies to prevent stretch marks? Lemme do a quick search...Here ya go! http://www.ehow.com/how_3358_reduce-stretch-marks.html

icehog3
08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey, i realized that I'm starting to develop some stretch marks on my pecs and arms. I freaked out last night, but I've calmed down a bit and wanted to see if you guys had any opinions/solutions. Is that just a part of lifting, or is there something I can actually do about it?

I got stretch marks where my shoulders and delts tie in many, many years ago Jeremy, They faded with time, but sometimes when you put on a lot of muscle in a short time, it is inevitable. You may be able to reduce them with some topical lotions, but probably not eliminate them completely.

The Professor
08-20-2009, 10:55 AM
yesterday was "off" -- just 30 minutes of cardio.

today was legs. I was supposed to meet a friend; but he got sick. hit leg press heavy -- working up with reps to failure from 2pie to 16pie ... then back down to 8. that about killed me. :r followed it up with some stiff-legged deads, ham curls, machine squats, and 15 minutes of cardio.

I'm wrecked. :ze

GreekGodX
08-20-2009, 10:55 AM

How deep are the stretch marks?? If they look pretty deep then they may stick around for a while. I have some on my legs above my knees but they aren't noticable because I have hairy legs :r

King James
08-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Chest on Tuesday was killer, feeling good today....going to try and get to gym later today otherwise tomorrow is back/shoulders

jkim05
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, I've gotten over my panic a little, since I realized I'm not a girl or a model. In any case, they're not too bad, more a slight annoyance to me more than anything, but just wanted to nip it in the bud. Had a nice long workout of Back and Bi's and some cardio. Chest and Tri's and some more cardio planned for tonight.

Starchild
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, I've gotten over my panic a little, since I realized I'm not a girl or a model. In any case, they're not too bad, more a slight annoyance to me more than anything, but just wanted to nip it in the bud. Had a nice long workout of Back and Bi's and some cardio. Chest and Tri's and some more cardio planned for tonight.

When my wife was pregnant, she rubbed cocoa butter on her belly to help prevent stretch marks. You could try that :D

On a serious note, there is a product, Mederma (http://www.mederma.com/offers?gclid=CPqQgrbuspwCFYZM5QodSzrioQ), that is supposed to reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks.

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
How deep are the stretch marks?? If they look pretty deep then they may stick around for a while. I have some on my legs above my knees but they aren't noticable because I have hairy legs :r

Well you are Greek;)

Been hitting the gym 3x a week consistently the last few months.

Q. Does it matter what 2 body parts I combine during my workout?
Ex. is it better to do biceps and back or biceps and chest OR..does it not matter what 2 I combine for my routine as long as it's 1 large muscle group and 1 small muscle group?

zemekone
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Ex. is it better to do biceps and back or biceps and chest OR..does it not matter what 2 I combine for my routine as long as it's 1 large muscle group and 1 small muscle group?

usally I put the big muscle group with the supporting muscle groups...

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 01:02 PM
usally I put the big muscle group with the supporting muscle groups...

Big Muscles = Back, Chest, Abs?
Supporting = Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders?

I asked BigFrank and he replied in great detail but I lost the PM from way back..:(

icehog3
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Between the crud I caught at the Shack and the playoffs, probably going to lay low for the rest of the week, and hit the gym hard next week. Keep kicking butt, fellow warriors!

GreekGodX
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Bao this is a loaded question. Who says doing a body split is in fact the best way to workout? Why not try full body workouts? Something to think about.

A good way to set up a routine around a body split is by using a push/pull routine. For example for arms a pulling excercise would concentrate on biceps while a pushing excercise would concentrate on triceps. Chest/back push would be bench, pull would be bent over rows. I really like splitting my workouts like that and it just seems to be more functional then a pure body split.

zemekone
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Big Muscles = Back, Chest, Abs?
Supporting = Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders?

I asked BigFrank and he replied in great detail but I lost the PM from way back..:(

abs are not a big muscle group

big muscle groups: chest, back, legs
supporting for:
chest: shoulders and triceps
back: biceps and shoulders

that was the lazy mans answer

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Bao this is a loaded question. Who says doing a body split is in fact the best way to workout? Why not try full body workouts? Something to think about.

A good way to set up a routine around a body split is by using a push/pull routine. For example for arms a pulling excercise would concentrate on biceps while a pushing excercise would concentrate on triceps. Chest/back push would be bench, pull would be bent over rows. I really like splitting my workouts like that and it just seems to be more functional then a pure body split.

Thanks for the input Kristos. I was doing a full body workout but got tired of the same old thing so I changed it to 2 parts a day...again..I just lift the weights..I don't actually know what I'm doing..kinda like smoking cigars :D

abs are not a big muscle group

big muscle groups: chest, back, legs
supporting for:
chest: shoulders and triceps
back: biceps and shoulders

that was the lazy mans answer

Thanks Gerry..

zemekone
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
bao, how many days a week are you goin in...

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 01:37 PM
bao, how many days a week are you goin in...

right now..consistently 3x cuz I've usually got 1 softball game during the week and practice.. Yes I play slowpitch softball. :D

GreekGodX
08-20-2009, 01:42 PM
For me I try to stick with 1 program for as much as 6 months. I understand you get bored but if you are just getting back in then you should build a strong foundation first on one routine. Then change it up.

zemekone
08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
right now..consistently 3x cuz I've usually got 1 softball game during the week and practice.. Yes I play slowpitch softball. :D

1st day: chest, tri, shoulders, abs
2nd day: legs
3rd day: back, bis, traps, abs

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
For me I try to stick with 1 program for as much as 6 months. I understand you get bored but if you are just getting back in then you should build a strong foundation first on one routine. Then change it up.
I'd be lucky if I kept up for 6 months without taking a 1 month break..
I feel like a :su

(ok I just wanted a reason to use that smiley :D)

3 exercises per muscle at 3 sets while increasing weight or just find one weight I can hold for 3 sets?

zemekone
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM

you dont plateau after 6 weeks?

I'd be lucky if I kept up for 6 months without taking a 1 month break..
I feel like a :su

(ok I just wanted a reason to use that smiley :D)

3 exercises per muscle at 3 sets while increasing weight or just find one weight I can hold for 3 sets?

bao what are you trying to do with your body?

BigFrank
08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Not a bad split. Id go with this.
Day#1 Week #1 Shoulders Tris
Day#2 Back
Day#3 Chest Bis
Day#1 Week #2 Squat
Day#2 Shoulders Tris
Day#3 Back
Day#1 Week #3 Chest Bis
Day#2 Legs
Day#3 Shoulders Tris
Day#1 Week #4 Back
Day#2 Chest Bis
Day#3 Legs

But Bao is going for abercrombie look so i ultimately recommend;
day #1 Leg press super set with bicep curls, after a week or two totally skip all leg activity and just o some calves.
day#2 Bench press super set with triceps then biceps. At least 6-10 working sets on flat bench. Eblows flarred of course.
day #3 More bench at least 40 working sets for biceps. Triceps and calves. maybe some shoulder pressing. If done recommendations is to use half reps and wide grip or bar. Or use dumbbells altogether and shorten range as much as possible.

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
bao what are you trying to do with your body?

Not look like Tom...My gawd he's a big boi!

just stay strong and I would like to lose some weight...Ideally I've love to shred up but I like fried fatty food too much :su

zemekone
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM
day #1 Leg press super set with bicep curls, after a week or two totally skip all leg activity and just o some calves.
day#2 Bench press super set with triceps then biceps. At least 6-10 working sets on flat bench. Eblows flarred of course.
day #3 More bench at least 40 working sets for biceps. Triceps and calves. maybe some shoulder pressing. If done recommendations is to use half reps and wide grip or bar. Or use dumbbells altogether and shorten range as much as possible.

whats wrong with that workout? thats my workout spot on except that you add in 300 reps of decline crunches, 300 reps of regular crunches, and 5 sets of 5 min planks... :r

Mugen910
08-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Not a bad split. Id go with this.
Day#1 Week #1 Shoulders Tris
Day#2 Back
Day#3 Chest Bis
Day#1 Week #2 Squat
Day#2 Shoulders Tris
Day#3 Back
Day#1 Week #3 Chest Bis
Day#2 Legs
Day#3 Shoulders Tris
Day#1 Week #4 Back
Day#2 Chest Bis
Day#3 Legs

:r Yeah that's it..I want the Abercrombie after 20 years of eating fried foods look wait..I already got that..:r

zemekone
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
:r Yeah that's it..I want the Abercrombie after 20 years of eating fried foods look wait..I already got that..:r

personally i dont think you can get that abercrombie look goin in 3 times a week... but what do i know?

GreekGodX
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
you dont plateau after 6 weeks?

Once I see signs of a plateau I take a week off. Most of the time it works out to being around 6-8 weeks then I take a week off. No sense in still lifting balls to the wall if I'm not seeing gains. My workouts are rotated as far as exercises, intensity of lifts, rest times and reps/sets to prevent plateauing. For a beginner I wouldn't be worried about plateauing quickly.

A beginners problem is they don't stick with a workout long enough to see results. 6weeks for a beginner is not enough time to benefit maximally to a routine. :2

Chris.
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Hit the gym today for the first time in about 3 weeks! Worked out harder on bench than I have in a good long while. Did some back and legs along with the chest. Working legs wore me out today. Tried pull throughs for the first time today. Seemed to do a lot for my lower back. Is that where it is supposed to effect? I'm going again tomorrow, but focus entirely on chest/abs. I gotta lose this flab.

WildBlueSooner
08-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Did Core Synergistics today...that is one tough workout. I have a 5k in the morning

icehog3
08-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Did Core Synergistics today...that is one tough workout. I have a 5k in the morning

Good luck in the run, James. :tu

Starchild
08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I hit them gym this afternoon, which is rare. I'm normally one for the 6:30 am class.

today's Crossfit WOD was:
Clean
hang clean
split jerk

6 reps of each, then 5, 4...
200m run between each round

Started out with 115#, went down to 95# after the first round. Time was 17:10

I've been trying to supplement my workout with a little extra chest work, so I hopped on the bench for 4 sets to failure once I caught my breath.

WildBlueSooner
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Good luck in the run, James. :tu

Thanks Tom...my knees have been a little sore lately, so I will take it easy. :tu

Chris.
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm hoping to get my hands on P90X soon. Can't wait to try it!

Mugen910
08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm hoping to get my hands on P90X soon. Can't wait to try it!

Need it? LMK..

Last night was BACK & LEGS. 3 exercises @ 3 sets increasing weights each time.

Lat pull downs wide grip
Lat pull downs close grip
Cable row close grip

Leg extentions
Something for hamstrings that I have no idea what it is called
Squats stopping at 225lbs

The Professor
08-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Had a decent shoulder day today.

Cable upright rows to 3 x 8 @ 150
DB presses 10 @ 45, 7 @ 55, 5 @ 60, 4 @ 60, 6 @ 50
Front DB raises 3 x 8 @ 30
Machine rear delt (reversed peck deck) 3 x 6-8 @ 180 (this is puzzling me)
Machine side delt 3 x 8 @ 150ish (dang machine hurt the skin on my arms)

Farmer's walks 75lb DBs for 20yards x 4 (last set sucked)

Gains and PRs on the rear delts and side delts and farmer's walks. My shoulders can use a rest this weekend, though. :r

BigFrank
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Off to squat in a few. Hurray!...

Chris.
08-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Need it? LMK..

I have a friend locally who said she would make copies of it for me as long as I give her the 12 dvd's for it. I just have to get around to bringing them to her. It's hard to believe it includes 12 dvds!

zemekone
08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
had a bad night last night... and had to unleash the beserker rage...

chest day:
flat bench
225lbsx5
225lbsx5
225lbsx5
275lbsx3
315lbsx3
325lbsx1
:fl then the beserker rage kicked in 355lbs x 3 :fl

incline dumbell press
100lbs x 6
105lbs x 6
110lbs x 4
:fl then the beserker rage kicked in 120lbs x 10 :fl

weighted dips
100lbs x 12 x 5

not bad for a a 160lbs guy... :rolleyes:

Chris.
08-23-2009, 02:17 PM
160 pounds!? Geeze, you put me to shame. :( You have prolly been lifting hard for a long time though...

The Professor
08-24-2009, 07:06 AM
nothing Gerry crazy today; but I did hit some PRs. chest/tri day.

db flat bench press: 50 x 10; 65 x 8; 75 x 5 (PR on reps); 75 x 4; 75 x 0 (failed out in front of the club trainer and a client). thought about going down to 70 ... but then Gerry's voice spoke to me. 80 x 3 or 4 (can't remember -- blur). either way, a PR on db flat bench. :D

hammer strength incline: 98 x 10, 148 x 6, 158 x 4 (PR), 148 x 5

hammer strength dips: 234 x 10, 278 x 5, 6, 5

HS decline press: 234 x 6, 6

Press downs: 150 x 10; 170 x 8; 200 x 4, 5, 4

Overhead cable rope extensions; 130 x 10, 150 x 3 (failed and laughed)

Not a bad day for a fatty ... that's what I tell myself, at least. It's nice to FINALLY start seeing some real gains in chest. Now I just need to find a lifting partner so I can get some REAL real gains.

Oh ... and on another note ... I'm outgrowing my clothes. :r Before I started lifting, I had a 15.5" neck. Less than a year ago, I got measured for a suit and was a 16/16.5" neck, 32/33" arms. Got measured for some shirts yesterday: 17.5" neck and 34/35" arms (because my shoulders are broader. I thought my old shirts were a little tight. LoL! I even tried a 17" x 32/33" shirt because I was in denial; but I couldn't cross my arms without it feeling like it was going to rip in the shoulders or choke me out. :r So it looks like I'm officially an XL now. Don't even know what my chest measurement is; but the jacket I bought last year (which was a bit big) is fitting nicely now. :rolleyes:

Starchild
08-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Crossfit workout this morning was called Fight Gone Bad. We're ramping up for an event next month where several local gyms are coming up for this workout.

The workout is 5 stations, one minute each, as many reps as possible, three rounds, one minute rest between rounds. Score is your total reps/cal.

Sumo high lift dead pull 75# :su (upright row from ground)
20" box jump or step
push press #75
rowing machine (count calories burned on this one)
wall ball (20# ball, full squat with the ball in front rack, on the way up, throw and hit a 10' target)

We were supposed to go about 75%. My knee is bothering me, so I didn't go to any depth on the wall balls, and pretty much blew them off. I ended up with a 221 which is a PR. The other stations felt really strong.

I'll probably take the rest of the week off from any leg work to let my knee heal. I think what happened was that last Monday, we did squats, and I was working on form and depth. I'm extremely flexible, and I was taking it all the way down, and getting a little bounce at the bottom. For me, that is basically bouncing my a$$ off my heals. It felt great at the time, and my coach loved the form, but I think the muscles in my knees were not used to that much depth with weight. My knee just feels a bit unstable once I start working.

Starchild
08-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Oh ... and on another note ... I'm outgrowing my clothes. :r Before I started lifting, I had a 15.5" neck. Less than a year ago, I got measured for a suit and was a 16/16.5" neck, 32/33" arms. Got measured for some shirts yesterday: 17.5" neck and 34/35" arms (because my shoulders are broader. I thought my old shirts were a little tight. LoL! I even tried a 17" x 32/33" shirt because I was in denial; but I couldn't cross my arms without it feeling like it was going to rip in the shoulders or choke me out. :r So it looks like I'm officially an XL now. Don't even know what my chest measurement is; but the jacket I bought last year (which was a bit big) is fitting nicely now. :rolleyes:

:tu I'm sure that when I have an occasion to wear my suit, it will be a little snug around the shoulders.

BigFrank
08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
It gets worse from there.

Like when I was in my brothers wedding and three nights before the wedding, I get a hysterical call from my son to be sister in law going nutts about how all my crap had to be tailored and they were scrambling to find a vest that would fit me.
Sucks when your 5 foot barely 7 and pushing 250lbs. Running out of room to grow.

The Professor
08-24-2009, 03:15 PM

Like when I was in my brothers wedding and three nights before the wedding, I get a hysterical call from my son to be sister in law going nutts about how all my crap had to be tailored and they were scrambling to find a vest that would fit me.
Sucks when your 5 foot barely 7 and pushing 250lbs. Running out of room to grow.
Yeah ... I'm heading to the Men's Warehouse tomorrow to get fitted for my brother's wedding. That's going to be interesting ... especially since I'm on cycle (p.h.) right now and will be up until about the wedding (9/26). LoL! My money is on a serious scramble the week before. :r

WildBlueSooner
08-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Chest, Shoulders, and Tris today....Got a crazy pump! :banger

PeteSB75
08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Feel fat this morning after a week and a half off and too much ice cream...

Squats, Bent-Over Rows and Dips. No new PRs, just grinding it out.

Mugen910
08-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Nothing crazy last night..3 exercises on chest with 3 sets increasing and the same for shoulders with some abs thrown in.

I need to either ramp up the amount of sets or start back on cardio to burn some fat..:su

The Professor
08-25-2009, 08:29 AM
More PRs today on back & bis....

Warmed up super-setting hammer strength isolat low rows and nautilus nitro pull downs, increasing weight along the way.

HS low rows: 238 x 8; 278 x 6; 298 x 5, 6, 5 (PR)

NN pull downs: 278 x 8, 328 x 5, 4, 4 (PR)

Underhand grip bent over rows: 135 x 5, 6, 12, 10 (new exercise)

DB one-arm rows: 110 x 8; 125 x 5, 4, 6 (strapped in)

Finished things off with some biceps work on the cable pullies -- straight bar curls and one-arm curls -- until my arms felt like they were gonna fall off. :ze

Happy lifting to all!!!!! :tu

BigFrank
08-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Chest was last night nothing special. Pulling tonight then off to a meeting.

Chris.
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Did a lot of leg and back yesterday. Also worked chest and tris.

The Professor
08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
"Off" day.

20 minutes cardio

Cable rope crunches: 25, 20, 15 @ 200lbs
Pull-down abs: 2 sets of 10 @ 200lbs
Captain's chair leg raises: 2 sets of 10

10 minutes of cardio

Starchild
08-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Last night I got a body weight workout. GHD situps, pushups, ring dips, rope pull-ups. Did 5 rounds, 10 sets of each.

This morning was push presses. 100 reps of 75# broken up with some back extensions and situps. Felt pretty drained after an evening workout yesterday.

Plan to take tomorrow off.

WildBlueSooner
08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Back and Biceps...felt great!

The Professor
08-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Hmmm ... a dilemma: hit legs hard and don't fit comfortably into my pants today for the first day of teaching or take it easy and fit in my clothes? :hm

I'll let y'all know in an hour and a half....

The Professor
08-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Hit it. :ze

Squats (full depth):
135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 6
275 x 5
295 x 3
315 x 2 (PR reps)
335 x 1 (new 1RM!)

Box Squats (73% 1RM, below parallel, with pause @ bottom): 245 x 3, 3, 2, 5

Stiff-legged deads: 225 x 5, 5, 5

I quit after that. I can barely stand ... mainly because my spinal erectors are spasming a little. Standing in front of class is gonna be a biotch today. :r

The Professor
08-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Yeah. I grabbed my "fat jeans" to wear with a shirt, jacket, and Doc Martens for my professor's uniform yesterday. Jeans were frickin' tight all f'in day. :mad: :r Think I need to go do some shopping today.... :td

BigFrank
08-28-2009, 06:05 AM
At some point your wardrobe will consist solely of t shirts,tank tops, sleeve-less shirts, gym shorts, warmup pants, khaki shorts. And your "nice" clothing will be referred to as **** you dont care to wear or is too tight. Also get used to buying jeans with a waist 4-6 sizes to big for yourself and invest in a nice thick belt. Also if you are a short fellow, jeans that are 40-42 waist with a 28 inseam are non existent.
Last week I went to the store to get some swim trucks which a week before vacation I realized I own only 1 pair with a hole in the leg and possibly purchased before I left high school....Oddly they fit. But, I tried on medium, large, and x-large and non would fit over top of my quads. Fit me in the waist yes. Legs no. Major issue. I asked my GF if I was fat, and she said no you have tree trunk legs. I then ate some chinese food because a person said I wasnt fat.

Pulled Tuesday night, Nothing special. Skipped last nights workout and skipping todays. Leaving in about 3 hours for the beach, staying 3 days and took off work monday. Going to try and rest and enjoy myself without worrying about training or work. I think I need a break. When I get back going to follow all that up with a deload week in the gym and take some time to figure out what I want to do with myself. Everytime I walk in the gym lately I feel like I am just going through the motions. Need something to strive for and to drive me.

See ya fellas when I get back, keep up the good work.

The Professor
08-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I hear ya on the legs, Frank -- same problem here with the quads, which (aside from a couple weeks ago), I tend not to even work them. Seems like if I look at my quads and calves wrong they get bigger ... and I really don't need or want that. Probably didn't help that I did legs yesterday. Anyway, I'll put ego/vanity aside today and get something with a waist that's too big so the legs can fit. I'll probably get some nicer/dressier shorts for teaching, too ... and some more polos (which seem to fit well right now). :rolleyes:

Enjoy your vacation! :tu I think we all hit those lulls and need a few days off. You never know ... maybe you'll come back and immediately find that spark/drive again in the gym. :gl

Mugen910
08-28-2009, 06:34 AM
nothing special yesterday at lunch...just back and biceps while throwing some abs in there for good measure.

The Professor
08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Hit shoulders. Should have remembered to warm up my tris more. I won't make that mistake again.

stuck to machines today. why? because I felt like it. LoL!

HS shoulder press (# for each side): 45 x 10, 55 x 8, 70 x 6, 80 x 5, 90 x 4, 90 x 0F

Lateral raises: 130 x 10, 150 x 10, 170 x 8, 180 x 6 (PR), 200 x 0F

Rear delts: 145 x 10, 160 x 8, 175 x 8, 190 x 6 190 x 5 (PR)

That was it. Hit some PRs; but still felt like a mediocre day. Wish my triceps weren't hurting. Feel tired from yesterday and didn't get enough sleep. The weekend off will do me some good. Probably gonna go for a bench or deadlift PR next week....

The Professor
08-29-2009, 08:51 AM
At some point your wardrobe will consist solely of t shirts,tank tops, sleeve-less shirts, gym shorts, warmup pants, khaki shorts.

I *just* made my first sleeveless shirt. FML. :tf

No gym today -- not even for cardio. I need a true day off ... well, except for the mowing and other yard work I'm going to do. :td

Mugen910
08-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Biceps and legs...and threw in some ab work... :ze

Chris.
08-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Yesterday consisted of flat bench, DB press, face hammer, seated rows, cable pressdowns, leg curls, leg extensions, and some abs. I was shaky when I left. :)

gorob23
08-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Played 3 games of VB yesterday then sat on the beach until 10pm smoking does that count? ok, ok for a workout I rode my bike all the way home :tpd:

Rob ;s

Starchild
08-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Not a happy camper right now. I went to a physical therapist that my Crossfit coach referred me to yesterday. He took a look a my knee, and even called in a orthopedic surgeon who happened to be there for a second opinion. Based on how I hurt it (full range squat), they are pretty sure it's a torn meniscus. They recommended an MRI which I need to work on with my insurance company next week.

I'm pissed that I'm hurt, and can't do everything I want to, but I'm more pissed that I did it doing things the way I was instructed.

The surgeon said he sees this injury as a result of those type of squats regularly.

Chris.
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
when they fix it, just dont lift as heavy in squats. The key to squats without tearing up knees is to come down slow and controlled.

Starchild
08-29-2009, 07:39 PM
when they fix it, just dont lift as heavy in squats. The key to squats without tearing up knees is to come down slow and controlled.

I wasn't going really heavy, and I was very controlled. The problem was my depth, going to my full range of motion, and getting a little bounce at the bottom.

I don't tend to throw around too much weight, and I'm very conscious of form.

That's what makes this so frustrating.

Chris.
08-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Could have been the little bounce at the bottom. That extra stretch on your knees isn't a good thing. Kinda like bouncing the bar off your chest on bench...but not quite...

Starchild
08-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Could have been the little bounce at the bottom. That extra stretch on your knees isn't a good thing. Kinda like bouncing the bar off your chest on bench...but not quite...

I think that's exactly what did it.

The Professor
08-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd also suggest that if you go back to doing squats, you think about starting with box squats at or below parallel. This will help you think about form a little differently and put the focus on your hams, taking it off your quads and knees. I don't have the greatest knees in the world; but squatting never hurts them because I'm slow, deliberate, and focusing everything I can on my posterior chain rather than my quads and knees. YMMV, but that's what I would do.

Good luck recovering.

Chris.
08-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Agreed. I always go down slowly to parallel and try to explode up(its hard sometimes, lol), but I make a point not to bounce. I've seen too many people F up their knees doing that. After I finish squats, my buns and hams are always sore(the next day).

BigFrank
08-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm pissed that I'm hurt, and can't do everything I want to, but I'm more pissed that I did it doing things the way I was instructed.

The surgeon said he sees this injury as a result of those type of squats regularly.It's time to ditch crossfit brother. Performing compound movements for high reps while in a state of high pre-exhaustion is a recipe for disaster. DO some online research about crossfit. It gets a lot of crap reviews. Do some research on it. Call me a flamethrower or what have you but I dont think it is NOT the best workout available out there.
A friend of mine compared this to say doing ab and lower back exercises before squatting. Think about what that would be like getting under a squat bar and performing full range squats, or deadlifts after already burning out the tank. And to boot, your going heavy and pushing the limits. Doesn't make much sense does it?
when they fix it, just dont lift as heavy in squats. The key to squats without tearing up knees is to come down slow and controlled.I dunno bout this. I always bounce at the bottom on raw squats. Get some knee sleeves or wraps for heavier sets. Going light because you are afraid of getting hurt is ****ing stupid. I know guys who have two rebuilt knees some rebuilt more than once squatting 800+ pounds. Trick is training smart.
I wasn't going really heavy, and I was very controlled. The problem was my depth, going to my full range of motion, and getting a little bounce at the bottom.
I don't tend to throw around too much weight, and I'm very conscious of form.
How full is your range? you bottoming out or hitting parallel?

I'd also suggest that if you go back to doing squats, you think about starting with box squats at or below parallel. This will help you think about form a little differently and put the focus on your hams, taking it off your quads and knees. I don't have the greatest knees in the world; but squatting never hurts them because I'm slow, deliberate, and focusing everything I can on my posterior chain rather than my quads and knees. YMMV, but that's what I would do. Id go high boxes at first. Go wide really wide if ya wanna toast the hams. The more I think about it I would set the box up different heights and work on form for awhile.

Long story short, I have an issue with squatting where my knee would buckle in on heavy sets. After tweaking my form for awhile I got it to stop happening. Possibly preventing a blown out knee.
Agreed. I always go down slowly to parallel and try to explode up(its hard sometimes, lol), but I make a point not to bounce. I've seen too many people F up their knees doing that. After I finish squats, my buns and hams are always sore(the next day).
Problem here is people confuse slow ( rate of decent ) with control. People think well I will just go to parallel slow. This isnt always the best answer. Controlling the weight down is best. Naturally there will be bounce at the bottom. Only time to go slow hitting parallel would be squatting with briefs and a suit on. Going to slow will more often cause a guy to bomb out at the bottom. I have done this in the past as Im sure most guys have, under heavier weights taking 30 seconds to get to parallel is mind numbing and when you hit the bottom your out of gas. Also, bringing the weight down your going to be using a lot of glute, ham and lower back. Going up is mainly quads. But that distance from say parallel to maybe 1/4 up is a lot of ham, glute and lower back. So, common sense would say you burn your self out going down too slow, you get no pop out of the bottom. Long story short, control. Form is key too.

Starscream
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
stuck to machines today. why? because I felt like it. LoL!

What's wrong with sticking to the machines? I know I'm still new to this, but I like the machines.

Speaking of machines, what's the difference between the hack squat machine and doing regular squats (results wise)?

BigFrank
08-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Speaking of machines, what's the difference between the hack squat machine and doing regular squats (results wise)?
Without getting into a crazy debate.

Machines-
little or no stabilizing muscles used.
safe
easy
more controlled motion
specifically isolate
easy ( yes said it twice )
Free Weights -
Stabilizing muscles used to full extent.
not as safe
not easy
greater strength gains
more versatile
require more balance and coordination

It honestly depends on what YOU are trying to do with yourself. Personally avoiding compound movements and avoiding the use of free weights entirely is a bad idea. For the normal person, a good blend of both would be ideal. Free weight early in the workout, machines later.

Starscream
08-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Machines-
safe
easy
more controlled motion
specifically isolate
Free Weights -
not as safe
not easy
greater strength gains
more versatile

It honestly depends on what YOU are trying to do with yourself. Personally avoiding compound movements and avoiding the use of free weights entirely is a bad idea. For the normal person, a good blend of both would be ideal. Free weight early in the workout, machines later.

I do use some free weights, but since I don't have a spotter, I'm a little uneasy with free weights for bench press (unless I'm using a Smith machine) or squats. I use dumbells regularly and the EZbar.

The Professor
08-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Machines-
safe
easy
more controlled motion
specifically isolate
Free Weights -
not as safe
not easy
greater strength gains
more versatile

What Frank said. :D Hence the shame. :r

Starscream
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the responses Frank and Dokk.

The Professor
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I do use some free weights, but since I don't have a spotter, I'm a little uneasy with free weights for bench press (unless I'm using a Smith machine) or squats. I use dumbells regularly and the EZbar.
Dude -- that's what the safety arms are for on the squat racks and power racks. If you can't get up, the weight drops on the safety and not your toes. :r I hear you on bench; but (a) you're more likely to hurt your pride than your body and (b) that's what dumbbells are for. :D I'm a HUGE believer in DBs now for benching without a partner.

Mugen910
08-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Nothing crazy yesterday..it was my 4th time at the gym this week so I decided to do a bit of everything except legs...

Starscream
08-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm a HUGE believer in DBs now for benching without a partner.

Will definitely keep that in mind.

Chris.
08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
What's wrong with sticking to the machines? I know I'm still new to this, but I like the machines.

I have been curious about this as well!

The Professor
08-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I have been curious about this as well!
Frank's answer is spot on; but to be a little more specific about the squat...

There is, in my humble judgment based on the evidence I've seen, no replacement for a real/full squat. It's a truly compound exercise that cannot be mimicked using a machine because machines inevitably remove stabilizers and limit range of motion in one way or another. Machine hack squats (i.e., on the sled) target the quads more than anything. You can get around that, to a certain extent, by placing your feet in a modified position (forward more); but you're never gonna hit your hams or posterior chain as well.

Now, if you're not interested in the compound movement or really want to be targeting your quads, go for the hack squat (though I'd be a little more inclined to say you should go for some leg presses).

:2

Starscream
08-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Now, if you're not interested in the compound movement or really want to be targeting your quads, go for the hack squat (though I'd be a little more inclined to say you should go for some leg presses).

:2

I do both the hack squat and the leg press.

The Professor
08-30-2009, 06:00 PM
I do both the hack squat and the leg press.
And, while I did leg presses a couple of weeks in a row recently, I don't do them much because looking at weights usually makes my quads grow ... and I really don't want bigger quads. :r

Starchild
08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
It's time to ditch crossfit brother. Performing compound movements for high reps while in a state of high pre-exhaustion is a recipe for disaster. DO some online research about crossfit. It gets a lot of crap reviews. Do some research on it. Call me a flamethrower or what have you but I dont think it is NOT the best workout available out there.
A friend of mine compared this to say doing ab and lower back exercises before squatting. Think about what that would be like getting under a squat bar and performing full range squats, or deadlifts after already burning out the tank. And to boot, your going heavy and pushing the limits. Doesn't make much sense does it?
I dunno bout this. I always bounce at the bottom on raw squats. Get some knee sleeves or wraps for heavier sets. Going light because you are afraid of getting hurt is ****ing stupid. I know guys who have two rebuilt knees some rebuilt more than once squatting 800+ pounds. Trick is training smart.
How full is your range? you bottoming out or hitting parallel?

I'm sure that the are better workouts out there, and I appreciate the opinion. The thing I like about CF is that is combines carido and weight lifting. It changes things up and keeps me interested. The workout I do is better than the one I don't. We rarely go super heavy, and when we do, we don't mix in other exercises. When I first hurt it, I was doing high back squats with 135 and stressing form starting at 5 reps and working down.

As far as my range, I'm the yoga instructor remember. My hamsrings are pressed against my calves, feet flat on the floor, weight on my heels. Not much further I could go, so I think the bounce was especially harmful.

Id go high boxes at first. Go wide really wide if ya wanna toast the hams. The more I think about it I would set the box up different heights and work on form for awhile.

Long story short, I have an issue with squatting where my knee would buckle in on heavy sets. After tweaking my form for awhile I got it to stop happening. Possibly preventing a blown out knee.

Problem here is people confuse slow ( rate of decent ) with control. People think well I will just go to parallel slow. This isnt always the best answer. Controlling the weight down is best. Naturally there will be bounce at the bottom. Only time to go slow hitting parallel would be squatting with briefs and a suit on. Going to slow will more often cause a guy to bomb out at the bottom. I have done this in the past as Im sure most guys have, under heavier weights taking 30 seconds to get to parallel is mind numbing and when you hit the bottom your out of gas. Also, bringing the weight down your going to be using a lot of glute, ham and lower back. Going up is mainly quads. But that distance from say parallel to maybe 1/4 up is a lot of ham, glute and lower back. So, common sense would say you burn your self out going down too slow, you get no pop out of the bottom. Long story short, control. Form is key too.

Good tips:tu I'm going to have to get more familiar with box squats.

BigFrank
08-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Might be going a little too deep on the squats. I know personally going too deep hurts my knees. Might be different for most but it kills me. So I hit parallel and no lower.

The Professor
08-31-2009, 04:46 AM
Might be going a little too deep on the squats. I know personally going too deep hurts my knees. Might be different for most but it kills me. So I hit parallel and no lower.

Ass back, parallel, push the floor apart.

I have a wide stance. :D

The Professor
08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Chest and tris day. Something's wrong with my right tris. I was diagnosed with some ulnar neuropathy years ago; but I've kept that in check through better ergonomics. Seems I've slipped back into my bad ways (e.g., working from my laptop sitting on the couch and resting my weight on my elbow), which is exacerbated by my slip last Friday not warming up my tris enough.

Hit a new PR on DB flat bench of 85 x 1 (failed trying for a 2nd). I probably could have done more had my right elbow not felt like it was going to fall off when I came down with the weight. Same thing on incline hammer strengths. Worked up to 84/side x 4, which was a new PR. Could have gone heavier or more reps if my arm wasn't acting up. Skipped declines and dips. Went and did some 135 rack lock-outs and got confirmation (a) that our bars are thicker than regulation, which effin sucks (and is not what I was told when I signed up), and (b) that our portable benches are too tall (which consistently causes me to cramp up). I'm just complaining. Tried to finish up with some tri work; but just couldn't.

I'l head back this afternoon with the DrMS and do some hypertrophic lifting....

PeteSB75
08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Good lifts yesterday. Dead, Press and Chin-ups. Medium day, so no PRs, but I was definitely tired by the time I was done. Deads really take it out of me.

BigFrank
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Ass back, parallel, push the floor apart.
I have a wide stance. :DDont forget chest up head back.!

Chest and tris day. Something's wrong with my right tris. I was diagnosed with some ulnar neuropathy years ago; but I've kept that in check through better ergonomics. Seems I've slipped back into my bad ways (e.g., working from my laptop sitting on the couch and resting my weight on my elbow), which is exacerbated by my slip last Friday not warming up my tris enough.

Hit a new PR on DB flat bench of 85 x 1 (failed trying for a 2nd). I probably could have done more had my right elbow not felt like it was going to fall off when I came down with the weight. Same thing on incline hammer strengths. Worked up to 84/side x 4, which was a new PR. Could have gone heavier or more reps if my arm wasn't acting up. Skipped declines and dips. Went and did some 135 rack lock-outs and got confirmation (a) that our bars are thicker than regulation, which effin sucks (and is not what I was told when I signed up), and (b) that our portable benches are too tall (which consistently causes me to cramp up). I'm just complaining. Tried to finish up with some tri work; but just couldn't.
I'l head back this afternoon with the DrMS and do some hypertrophic lifting....
Sucks about your tricep Dokk. Dunno bout the pc thing. Not my ballgame but I get bad hand cramps from working all day also my back gets tight from standing on ladders etc. all day. So I know where you are coming from on that.
Good lifts yesterday. Dead, Press and Chin-ups. Medium day, so no PRs, but I was definitely tired by the time I was done. Deads really take it out of me.What's your training split now Pete?

Been sitting around the house all morning, took a few naps. Tomorrow is first day back to work. Might head out to the gym later.

The Professor
08-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Dont forget chest up head back.!
Of course! ;) Though ... I don't kick my head back as much as some -- throws off my balance too much. :su

Sucks about your tricep Dokk. Dunno bout the pc thing. Not my ballgame but I get bad hand cramps from working all day also my back gets tight from standing on ladders etc. all day. So I know where you are coming from on that.
Thanks. It is what it is and I'll work around it all.

Heading to Macy's in a little bit to try on some fat jeans.... :hn

PeteSB75
08-31-2009, 10:28 AM
What's your training split now Pete?

Going to continue with lifting 3 days/week for a while, heavy, light, med. After a few months, I will switch up to heavy, light, heavy. Been rough getting back into after a week and a half off. Need to get back to spin class a couple days a week. Doing a 4 day split of exercises.

Day1
Back Squat
Bent-Over Row
Dips

Day 2
Dead
Press
Chin-ups

Day 3
Bench
DB Row
Front Squat

Day 4
Power Clean
Incline Press
Pull-Ups

Been sitting around the house all morning, took a few naps. Tomorrow is first day back to work. Might head out to the gym later.

Good luck tomorrow.