PDA

View Full Version : Losing Weight with Starscream

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Starscream
12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Over the past few years, I have gone on several diets in order to lose weight. One diet was very successful and over a period of four months I lost 30+ lbs. But I always seem to lose focus and gain it all back. It's time to get my focus back. It's time to not just diet and exercise, but to have a lifestyle change. It's time to make this a permanent change. I know their are other BOTLs out there who are on diets or thinking about it, therefore I am starting this thread in hopes that some other members will jump on board w/ me. I know several of you were in the Diet Contest at CS and lost some weight, others not so much. So let's get this show on the road.

My starting weight, Nov 19th: 264lbs.

Weight as of Dec 11th: 258lbs.

My diet right now is low-fat (for the most part). Thinking of switching to a low-carb diet, but need more time to make that decision. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

Exercise: Right now I am working out w/ dumbells at home. Not in the gym yet. Started some cardio workouts this week too.

Mugen910
12-11-2008, 08:05 AM
It def is a lifestyle change, best of luck to you brother.

kayaker
12-11-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm there with you in spirit only for now Brother.

I could stand to lose 20 or so pounds, but I'm writing my thesis and not very active right now.

I return to work after the New Year, so I can focus on my eating habits and activities.

Get 'r done.:tu

hotreds
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Gotta lose about 100 lbs! There is still a contest until April at CS. Don't know what's up with that- I probably should put in a post to see who, if anyone, is still working and visiting. I don't think it would be acceptable to move the contest over here.

Starscream
12-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Gotta lose about 100 lbs! There is still a contest until April at CS. Don't know what's up with that- I probably should put in a post to see who, if anyone, is still working and visiting. I don't think it would be acceptable to move the contest over here.

The first contest didn't go so well for me. Hope to stick w/ it this time though.:ze

Shaerza
12-11-2008, 08:46 AM
I will jump on the support band wagon! I have more or less reached my goal weight but I am still trying to redistribute some of the weight from my gut. My weight loss was my new years resolution last year, and I have to say its probably the first one I have ever taken seriously. You have made the right first step in calling it what it is, a definite Lifestyle change!

Start - Jan 1 2008 250lbs
Current - 187lbs

I started out just doing Weight Watchers (I highly recommend the online tracking program, it REALLY helps you in watching what you eat even after you stop using it) for the first 3 months and lost about 30lbs. Then I started hitting the gym for 45 minutes 3 times a week. We did 20 min of cardio then 25 minutes of lifting. I am now doing 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week and 1-2 hours of racquetball 2 times a week. I feel worlds better then I did this time last year and am pretty happy that I was able to accomplish this.

If ya have any questions let me know :tu

goalie204
12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm supportive but not participating.

I've changed my life to eat healthy and workout, it's not coming off as fast as i'd like it too tho

Starscream
12-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Current - 187lbs

I started out just doing Weight Watchers (I highly recommend the online tracking program, it REALLY helps you in watching what you eat even after you stop using it) for the first 3 months and lost about 30lbs. Then I started hitting the gym for 45 minutes 3 times a week. We did 20 min of cardio then 25 minutes of lifting. I am now doing 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week and 1-2 hours of racquetball 2 times a week. I feel worlds better then I did this time last year and am pretty happy that I was able to accomplish this.

Congrats! Way to go. I am using the WW points calculator for now, although I'm not sure i'm gonna stick w/ that method. It worked for me last time, but I just didn't stick w/ it.

I'm not in a contest, working at my own pace. I'll get there when I get there. Hopefully sooner than later though.

Scottw
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I will jump on the support band wagon! I have more or less reached my goal weight but I am still trying to redistribute some of the weight from my gut. My weight loss was my new years resolution last year, and I have to say its probably the first one I have ever taken seriously. You have made the right first step in calling it what it is, a definite Lifestyle change!

Current - 187lbs

Great work!! I am currently almost 230 and want to get down to 185. Need to start the cardio after the new year. I have a brand new elliptical in the house that I haven't touched yet.

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Ive have lost weight and gained muscle with Stew Smith Workouts. I HIGHLY recommend him and his workouts. If you are already fit and slim, he has some really advanced stuff from his Navy Seal Days. Check him out!

Former Navy Seal Stew Smith
http://www.stewsmith.com/

weight loss tips
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/weight-loss/archive

Military Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive

Special OPS Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/special-operations/archive

Navy Seal Workout
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/navy-special-operations/navy-seal-fitness-test

mrreindeer
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Andy, you're already off to a great start & Shaerza, way to go, that's freakin' awesome! I too am a big fan of WW (Weight Watchers). My mom took me to WW as a kid back in the '80's and I've pretty much been on or off all my life. The times I've gained some weight, I've just been lazy and not heeded the proper 'lifestyle'; it's entirely my fault. For the most part in the past decade, I've found success using what I've learned in WW and applying it in my daily eating routine. Unlike other diets out there where you've got to buy & eat the company's proprietary foodstuffs, WW taught me the tools necessary to conquer eating normal food, going out to dinner, etc. When I've felt weak, I've returned to the meetings which offer great group support which surprisingly enough, is part of WW's appeal & success.

During the holidays before our wedding, mrsreindeer & I joined up again to get some weight off and it worked great again and now she & I adhere to the guidelines mostly during the week and enjoy ourselves on the weekends and we've been doing pretty well maintaining.

And we use the point system too; it's great & so easy. Eat a bowl of cereal...5 points.....eat more points up to your daily max of well, I'm trying to be at 24....very simple.

I just need to reintroduce some exercise as I've really slacked off there and that also helps so much in your dieting.

Best of luck to you guys. It's tough during the holidays but doable; hang in there!

jledou
12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Last week I decided I needed to make the commitment also to get more active. I am at about 235 right now and would at least like to get under 225-220, but the main thing for me was getting more cardio.

I made the jump last Tuesday to get on the elliptical sitting unused in the basement every morning M-F. So far I haven't missed a day although this morning was close.

I figured I might as well do something productive while waiting for the coffee to brew in the morning.

Starscream
12-11-2008, 10:36 AM

And we use the point system too; it's great & so easy. Eat a bowl of cereal...5 points.....eat more points up to your daily max of well, I'm trying to be at 24....very simple.
30 points a day right now. Will be less very soon.
Ive have lost weight and gained muscle with Stew Smith Workouts. I HIGHLY recommend him and his workouts. If you are already fit and slim, he has some really advanced stuff from his Navy Seal Days. Check him out!

Former Navy Seal Stew Smith
http://www.stewsmith.com/

weight loss tips
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/weight-loss/archive

Military Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive

Special OPS Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/special-operations/archive

Navy Seal Workout
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/navy-special-operations/navy-seal-fitness-test

Thanks!:tu

My only downfall right now, is that my wife won't get onboard. She says she is supportive, but continues to buy and cook things that are either unhealthy or cooks entirely too much for one meal.

mrreindeer
12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
30 points a day right now. Will be less very soon.

My only downfall right now, is that my wife won't get onboard. She says she is supportive, but continues to buy and cook things that are either unhealthy or cooks entirely too much for one meal.

Oof, that's tough Andy....you always need a support network in things like this...that's why we've found the meetings so helpful and it was easier having my spouse do it with me....but you can do it. My wife has really enjoyed cooking really tasty stuff out of Cooking Light magazine (and Cooking Light books). Full-flavored stuff that's healthy for you. It'd be good for both you and your wife and I'd be surprised if your wife didn't enjoy the recipes.

30 points! sigh....what a luxury!

Hey, here are some favorite 1-point snacks to help you get through the day but remember that a lot of the time the way they get the points down is to bump up the fiber so drink lots of water!:

-Hostess 100-calorie 3 mini cupcake packs (1 point for chocolate, UNREAL)
-1 bag of a 100-calorie pack of reduced fat popcorn (1 point...very filling, seems like a lot)
-1 sugar-free Jello Pudding....60 calorie kind (1 point...delicious, truly)
-Weight Watchers chocolate singles (toffee or crispy cluster, YUM!)
-WW yogurt (1 point for a good-sized cup)

Starscream
12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey, here are some favorite 1-point snacks to help you get through the day but remember that a lot of the time the way they get the points down is to bump up the fiber so drink lots of water!:

-Hostess 100-calorie 3 mini cupcake packs (1 point for chocolate, UNREAL)
-1 bag of a 100-calorie pack of reduced fat popcorn (1 point...very filling, seems like a lot)
-1 sugar-free Jello Pudding....60 calorie kind (1 point...delicious, truly)
-Weight Watchers chocolate singles (toffee or crispy cluster, YUM!)
-WW yogurt (1 point for a good-sized cup)

Sounds good. Lots of other great foods at dwlz.com

mrreindeer
12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Sounds good. Lots of other great foods at dwlz.com

:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu freaking Godsend that Dotti! We use it all the time!

Starscream
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I've noticed cigar smoking has helped w/ my appetite. Whenever I am home and get the urge to eat a snack, I go out and light up a cigar. It keeps me from eating. :tu
This probably goes hand in hand w/ my weight gain and quitting cigarettes. I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 1/2 yrs ago. My weight was between 220-230lbs when I was smoking. As soon as I quit, my weight shot up. :hn

Gophernut
12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I've noticed cigar smoking has helped w/ my appetite. Whenever I am home and get the urge to eat a snack, I go out and light up a cigar. It keeps me from eating. :tu
This probably goes hand in hand w/ my weight gain and quitting cigarettes. I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 1/2 yrs ago. My weight was between 220-230lbs when I was smoking. As soon as I quit, my weight shot up. :hn
I can't agree with you more. I lost 25 lbs this spring/summer just by going outside to have a cigar at night instead of sitting in front of the TV. I eat when I am bored. Since the weather has turned colder here, and I can't sit outside to smoke, I have gained 10lbs back in the last 2 months or so.
My wife was put on a very restrictive diet to help with her Rheumatoid Arthritis, and has lost 50lbs in the last 6 months. I am diabetic, and need to lose that much also. 50lbs would put me down to 10lbs less then when I weighed in for my sr year of HS football. That would be good.:hm

Mugen910
12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
How are things going today Andy? I had oatmeal for breakfast..2 cups of coffee so far with brown sugar and lil' cream...lunch looks like a chicken breast sandwich.

Starscream
12-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Took Friday off for alcohol.
Saturday evening for alcohol too.
My wife is cooking dumplins tonight. Very tempting, but I think I'm gonna have a leftover chicken breast.
Oatmeal, coffee, and a Perdomo Slow-Aged for breakfast this morning.
Gonna have a big meal Sunday after church, but then it's back to the routine.

Starscream
12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Going out to smoke an LFDC Selectos to fight the urge to eat some high fat Chicken n Dumplings.

Mugen910
12-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Going out to smoke an LFDC Selectos to fight the urge to eat some high fat Chicken n Dumplings.

I am carbo loading for a 5k race tomorrow. :tu PIZZA TIME!! :r

IDK if you have access to an Asian market but try getting some dim sum dumplings you can steam :tu

Starscream
12-13-2008, 09:02 PM
IDK if you have access to an Asian market but try getting some dim sum dumplings you can steam :tu

Dim Sum Dumplings are good!

wigg
12-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I tried everything... but ended up losing 45lbs with the south west diet.. it was easy, except for the NO drinking the first two weeks.. other than that you just have to be careful what you eat. I did not have to exersise, just changed my eating habits.. I have kept it off for 5 years now....I just don't eat a bunch of crap now! Oh... and stay away from :aldrinking magnums of wine
:al

Starscream
12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I tried everything... but ended up losing 45lbs with the south west diet.. it was easy, except for the NO drinking the first two weeks.. other than that you just have to be careful what you eat. I did not have to exersise, just changed my eating habits.. I have kept it off for 5 years now....I just don't eat a bunch of crap now! Oh... and stay away from :aldrinking magnums of wine
:al

South West Diet? More info...

Oh, and the alcohol is my downfall...

jquirit
12-14-2008, 02:34 AM

South West? Or South Beach? South Beach I've heard, and tried. It actually worked pretty well as long as you pay attention to what you're eating and stick with it. It's based off the glycemic index which you end up picking foods that don't cause spikes in your blood sugar. It's not about removing all carbs, just removing the bad ones and moderating the good ones.

Between that and exercise I had myself down to 170lbs on the South Beach diet. Then a whole bunch of life-changing events happened and it threw my entire life around and I gained it all back because I stopped eating smart and stopped exercising altogether.

Now I'm working on my way back to there... slowly but surely.

Starscream
12-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Whooo! Pigged out at the local Mexican Restaraunt. Enchiladas, a taco, and tons of chips n salsa.

Back on track tomorrow. No more food today.

wigg
12-14-2008, 05:58 PM

You can buy the book at Amazon, or at the book store.. it was written by a Cardiologist, originally for his heart patients.. its a lower carb diet, but NOT a no carb diet. A lot of veggies, chicken, fish, and meat, balanced diet, no special food, just good food. The book has recipes, really nothing crazy, just less portions, and more times a day. Check out the book....its pretty easy stuff. It taught me how to eat right again, especially being on the road a lot.
Its just no alcohol for the first two weeks. I started being able to tighten up my belt in 2 weeks, and went from a 38 waist, to a 34 in three months.

jquirit
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
wigg, is this the book you're talking about?

The South Beach Diet by Dr. Arthur Agatston (http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-Diet-Delicious-Doctor-Designed/dp/0312991193/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229313841&sr=8-2)

Buena Fortuna
12-15-2008, 02:21 AM
I started the Smart For Life Diet in April when I was 310 lbs. I now weigh 240 on my way to 200.

Life is great!:D

Starscream
12-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Rough day here. Gonna try and stay as in line as possible. English Dept. social is today immediately after school. Gonna be lots of sweets and other goodies.
Started the day w/ a meal replacement shake, lunch is a chicken breast, and I guess this gathering at school will be supper.
Gonna have to force myself to exercise when I get home. I know I'll be dragging.

goalie204
12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
i have a piece of fish and some nice eggplant/zuchini/tomato ragu i made that i'll be eating for lunch and for snacks gunna have a protein shake in the morning and another in the aftn. Gunna go work out tonight after work too :D

Starscream
12-15-2008, 08:06 AM
i have a piece of fish and some nice eggplant/zuchini/tomato ragu i made that i'll be eating for lunch and for snacks gunna have a protein shake in the morning and another in the aftn. Gunna go work out tonight after work too :D
Sounds like a good lunch.

jledou
12-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I found that another things that helps when I need a quick fix for something to eat is to always have fruit and veggies cut up and available in the fridge. After a while you tend not to go to the fridge as often and when you do it is something natural and good for you.

The key is to make sure that it is cut up or prepared so all you have to do is eat it. I find that it is to easy to hit the "junk" food than the fruit and veggies if they aren't prepared.

I hit the elliptical this morning but almost talked myself out of it!

Hang in there!

J

Starscream
12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Somebody slap me if I don't get in some physical exercise today. Didn't do anything yesterday. Was at school until 6:15pm. When I got home, my family came over to break the bad news in. Didn't feel like doing anything after that. This weekend's gonna be rough as far as eating healthy too. A lot of fast food (White Castle) and whatever my extended family decides to cook while I'm in KY. Temptation will be great.:(

Today:
Breakfast - protein shake
Lunch - small portion of spaghetti and meatballs
Dinner - unknown as of now

hotreds
12-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Hotredsmama is on a Christmas baking spree, and my waist is much the worse for it!

Starscream
12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Hotredsmama is on a Christmas baking spree, and my waist is much the worse for it!

Halloween through New Year's is the hardest time to eat healthy (for me anyways).:(

mrreindeer
12-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Halloween through New Year's is the hardest time to eat healthy (for me anyways).:(

Totally agree Andy; hang in there!! I'm havin' a devil of a time myself..... we're going through IVF this week and having to make several trips out to the Doc's lab in Pasadena and running errands and not home much so we've been eating out and eating terribly ahead of mrsreindeer's bed-rest starting tomorrow (instead of this past Monday, as it turns out). And my Dad's in town staying with us and we had a friend in town on Saturday, so of course, we're having to entertain....ugh....this time of year is always tough. And it won't get better....Christmas next week and parties and New Year's... oh my.

Mugen910
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Breakfast = small ham and cheese croissant.. Coffee dark and little sugar...but I deserve it since I kicked butt at the gym last night! :tu

Lunch is a small portion of Ravioli.

Dinner = 3mile run. :tu

Starscream
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Dinner = 3mile run. :tu

Dinner sounds good!;)

Starscream
12-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Today:

Breakfast = meal replacement shake

Lunch = Chicken breast, baked red potatoes, and butter beans

Dinner = Chili

wigg
12-17-2008, 11:11 PM
wigg, is this the book you're talking about?

The South Beach Diet by Dr. Arthur Agatston (http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-Diet-Delicious-Doctor-Designed/dp/0312991193/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229313841&sr=8-2)

YEP

Shaerza
12-29-2008, 07:10 AM
How did you guys fair during the holidays? I did terrible and feel pretty down about it. I wasnt making the worst choices on portion control etc, but i was snacking and drinking WAY too much. Damnit beer being so good! Now with my sailing trip in 2 weeks I have to try to shed off the 4+lbs I just added:mad: Guess its time for some extra hiit sessions.

Starscream
12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Funeral food is bad, Christmas food is bad, and New Year's drinking is bad. Not gonna post in here again until New Year's Day.:(

Starscream
01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
It is a good day on the homefront! I convinced my wife to get onboard w/ me. I had to make a sacrifice in order to get her onboard, but she is finaly w/ me. I had to make a New Year's Resolution to quit drinking, but that will only make my task the easier. So starting Monday, my wife will be officially on board the weightloss track w/ me. I know that this will make my task all the easier as I will have some direct support now.

mrreindeer
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Absolutely, that's great Andy! :tu:tu

I've fallen off the wagon....I'm gonna need to get back on track and drop the friggin' 15 pounds or so I've put on because of the damn holidays and busy stuff and crazy schedule we've had lately.

Shaerza
01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Wow thats awesome that you are going to give up booze. I wish I had the willpower to even think about doing that.. well maybe not.. but its one of the best ways to jump start some healthy weight loss. Good news on the wife joining too. So much easier when you have people actively supporting ya. Good luck!

Starscream
01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Allright guys, Day one (again). My wife and I are both in this together. Using the Weight Watchers system (bootleg). I'm allotted 30 points a day. Had a bowl of oatmeal this morning and a salad w/ ham and no dressing for lunch. Chugging plenty of water.

Weigh in this morning was 265lbs. Wow, Christmas break and the funeral sure did me no good. Oh well, gonna be easy now that I've got some support.

kayaker
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm relocating for a few months on Wednesday, so I am going to weigh in on Thursday morning.

Then the game is on.

I'll be watching what I'm eating and increasing my activity level.

:bx

Starscream
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm relocating for a few months on Wednesday, so I am going to weigh in on Thursday morning.

Then the game is on.

I'll be watching what I'm eating and increasing my activity level.

:bx
:tu Awesome!:bx:ze

Starscream
01-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Day 2:
Breakfast - Oatmeal (cinammon/sugar)
Lunch will be a turkey and spinach sandwich.
Not sure what supper will be. Last night we ate sauteed chicken w/ egg noodles (heavy on the garlic):dr

Weigh in of yesterday was innacurate. I switched to the digital scale today. Weigh in will officially start off at 261 lbs.

Day 2 of rain, so haven't had a chance to get out and walk/jog yet:(. Gotta do some indoor work to make up for it.:ze

Smokin Gator
01-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Andy... If you don't mind I am going to join you.

I started going to the gym and doing the treadmill in August. I also started eating a salad for lunch everyday. I lost about 20 pounds and was really feeling good. Then the holidays rolled around and my southern food lovin' arse put nearly all of that weight back on.

Started back to the gym yesterday. Yesterday's weight was 232.

Yesterday:

Breakfast - bowl of All Bran
Snack - none
Lunch - Salad with a piece of grilled salmon
Dinner - rib tips, collard greens, black eyed peas (Hey I had small portions and I can't throw that good food away).

Today:

40 minutes on the treadmill

Snack - none
Lunch- will be a salad and one of those tear open packages of salmon
Dinner - I know it is going to be grilled chicken breast, but not sure of the veggies.

12stones
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I'll get in on this. I started South Beach two weeks ago with my girlfriend and have been going strong. Yes, the holiday season wasn't the smartest time to start as I really had to not partake of anything good. But I started on 12/22/08 at 226lbs and this morning I was 215lbs. This week I add in three days of exercise and will keep tracking in here.

Starscream
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM

I'll get in on this.

Great! That's why I started this. Keep us updated. Let us know what works for you and what doesn't. The more the merrier!

jquirit
01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
More the merrier, right?

Weighed myself last night. 220lbs. So that'll be my starting point.

Yesterday:

- breakfast: bowl of oatmeal, three eggs (2 egg whites, 1 whole)
- lunch: lean hamburger, green salad
- dinner: chicken breast, steamed veggies
- workout: 35 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes weights

I still need to add in two snacks between the major meals. That's why I'm going grocery shopping tonight for stuff like almonds and such to snack on. Also trying to increase the amount of water I'm drinking. Got a water bottle next to me on the desk and reminding myself to take a drink when I notice it.

Tombstone
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM

I started going to the gym and doing the treadmill in August. I also started eating a salad for lunch everyday. I lost about 20 pounds and was really feeling good. Then the holidays rolled around and my southern food lovin' arse put nearly all of that weight back on.

Started back to the gym yesterday. Yesterday's weight was 232.

Yesterday:

Snack - none
Lunch - Salad with a piece of grilled salmon
Dinner - rib tips, collard greens, black eyed peas (Hey I had small portions and I can't throw that good food away).

Today:

Snack - none
Lunch- will be a salad and one of those tear open packages of salmon
Dinner - I know it is going to be grilled chicken breast, but not sure of the veggies.

If you put a healthy snack between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner you will increase your metabolism. Also your body will not hold on to stored fat (Gut).

kayaker
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Last spring I was working 10 hour shifts as a welding apprentice with breaks every 2 hours. I ate small amounts at each break and something more substantial for lunch. Just the active work and snacking throughout the day helped me lose 15 pounds. I didn't really have to watch what I ate, but I did avoid bringing change for the candy and soft drink dispensers.

Also, try eating some healthy protein before bed, it will help keep your metabolism going throughout the night.

Starscream
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I did avoid bringing change for the candy and soft drink dispensers.
Key point. And drink lots of water. I drink mostly water, with a diet soda every now and then. Maybe a cup of tea at night(w/ sugar substitute).

Smokin Gator
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
If you put a healthy snack between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner you will increase your metabolism. Also your body will not hold on to stored fat (Gut).

Should it be veggie sticks etc or more protein like a cheese stick or some nuts?

Tombstone
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Smokin Gator;153158]Should it be veggie sticks etc or more protein like a cheese stick or some nuts?[/QUOTE

It really depends on what you are eating the rest of the day. Almonds, fat free/plain yogurt, cheese sticks are very healthy snack choices.

Starscream
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Rain managed to hold off long enough for me to walk a mile around the neighborhood. One mile is better than nothing.
Steak stir-fry/wraps tonight for dinner.

Smokin Gator
01-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Yesterday:
Dinner - Grilled chicken breast, collard greens, black eyed peas, and steamed broccoli.

Today:

Breakfast- Bowl of All Bran
Snack - Will be a cheese stick
Lunch - Will be tossed salad with a can of tuna
Snack - Will be a handful of mixed nuts
Dinner - A little worried about this one - my son has a soccer game at 5:30 so I can't cook. May do a Subway sub.

Starscream
01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Day 4:
Woke up late so no oatmeal for me.
Breakfast: Turkey sandwich on light bread. 2pts
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on light bread. 2pts
Dinner: Taco Bell (something off of the Fresco menu)

Wednesday night is dinner w/ the parents and then church. Gotta queeze in some walking time today somewhere.

Gator, I love me some collards, but I can't eat them w/o cornbread.

Smokin Gator
01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Gator, I love me some collards, but I can't eat them w/o cornbread.

You are right brother... they are great that way. I even had the cornbread there!!! I was proud of myself.

goalie204
01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I had 2 eggs and some egg whites for breakfast.

Snack maybe a protein shake with water instead of milk

Lunch not sure, thinking a greek salad with chicken breast, or maybe some turkey breast and some carrots

dinner not sure, maybe same as lunch.

This is hard, and I KNOW i need to start working out again, but i haven't yet, can't will myself to do it yet ;/

Starscream
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Snack maybe a protein shake with water instead of milk
This is hard, and I KNOW i need to start working out again, but i haven't yet, can't will myself to do it yet ;/

Protein shake w/ water:pu
It is hard to start working out. Start off easy, just go walking for a week. Then up it to jogging or move to the gym. Just getting your heart rate up and sweat some does wonders.
Tae-bo isn't the manliest workout, but it is great for working up both a sweat and your heartrate.

goalie204
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Protein shake w/ water:pu
It is hard to start working out. Start off easy, just go walking for a week. Then up it to jogging or move to the gym. Just getting your heart rate up and sweat some does wonders.
Tae-bo isn't the manliest workout, but it is great for working up both a sweat and your heartrate.

The protein shake is chocolate flavored, whey protein, its tasty :D

I wish i could go for a walk man, i do that in the spring/summer, but its -40c here and too cold. I have a workout room in my condo, weights and treadmills and such. I just have a hard time motivating myself to do it, it's just so much easier to sit on the couch and watch tv after work, or troll the forums.

Tae-bo? :hn

Starscream
01-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Tae-bo? :hn

It gets the job done. I lost 30+ lbs two yrs ago on WW and Tae-bo. Good fat burner and cardio.

Starscream
01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Day 4:
Woke up late so no oatmeal for me.
Breakfast: Turkey sandwich on light bread. 2pts
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on light bread. 2pts
Dinner: Taco Bell (something off of the Fresco menu)

Wednesday night is dinner w/ the parents and then church. Gotta queeze in some walking time today somewhere.

Taco Bell: 4 Fresco crunchy tacos. 12pts.

Still have points to go, but don't wanna eat this late at night.

jquirit
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Today:

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 3 eggs (2 whites, 1 whole)
Lunch: Beef pho (sorry, couldn't resist with the crappy weather)
Snack: 2 scoops whey protein for pre-workout shake with water
Post-workout: Another 2 scoops of whey protein + creatine with water
Dinner: Ham wrap

Workout consisted of 35 minutes on the elliptical, followed by:

4x8 lunges
4x10 dumbbell squats
4x6 standing leg curls
4x10 standing calf raises

Most of this stuff is all improvised since I'm using the work gym that has a limited selection of machines and dumbbells only up to 30 lbs. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the workout. Lunges really did a number on my legs, made it interesting walking up/down the stairs in my house!

One site that I started using a long time ago but rarely update (since it is kinda narrow) is traineo.com. They have a nice tool for you to record body weight, calories spent exercising, recording how you feel you did with your diet (by recording the calories you ate + a sliding scale on if you cheated on your diet or not). Since starting over I'm using it again to record my workouts (helps having a heartrate monitor so I can get a better grasp on calories burnt during exercise) as well as record my weight and performance on my diet.

http://ozymand.traineo.com/

Smokin Gator
01-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Yesterday I didn't really eat dinner. After my son's soccer game I refused to do the usual (for me) burger drive through. I tried to find a Subway and couldn't. When I got home I had a couple of ounces of cheddar cheese and some Wheat Thins.

No workout this morning Grrr!!!! The wife messed up the alarm clock.

Breakfast - Bowl of All Bran
Snack - Cheese stick
Lunch - Tossed salad with a skinless grilled chicken breast
Dinner - I really want chicken wings and beer for the Gator game tonight. Not sure what I am going to do though. I might take some nachos with refried beans and chicken.

Starscream
01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Day 5:
Breakfast - oatmeal. 4pts
Lunch - ham sandwich. 3pts
Dinner - I think sauteed chicken wraps (not sure yet)

Gonna go walking today if not raining. Gotta go at least a mile.

Smokin Gator
01-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Day 5:
Breakfast - oatmeal. 4pts
Lunch - ham sandwich. 3pts
Dinner - I think sauteed chicken wraps (not sure yet)

Gonna go walking today if not raining. Gotta go at least a mile.

The walking is a good idea for today. Mind if I join you from 400 miles away??

kayaker
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Made it to Edmonton safe and sound, although I was almost 2 hours late getting in.

Morning weight = 249.2 lbs.

Had a bowl of Raisn Bran for breakfast. Not sure what the rest of the day will entail. I have to move beds around dressers around so that I have a proper place to sleep.

My brother and his GF are also looking to lose a bit of weight, so we will help each other out and also be sources of temptation. :D

It's going to take a week or so to get settled away here and into a routine.

Starscream
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Made it to Edmonton safe and sound, although I was almost 2 hours late getting in.

Morning weight = 249.2 lbs.

Had a bowl of Raisn Bran for breakfast. Not sure what the rest of the day will entail. I have to move beds around dressers around so that I have a proper place to sleep.

My brother and his GF are also looking to lose a bit of weight, so we will help each other out and also be sources of temptation. :D

It's going to take a week or so to get settled away here and into a routine.
Glad you made it safely. Getting settled in and mobing beds around dressers is exercise in itself.

Starscream
01-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Moring all!

Day 6:

Breakfast: 2 slices of ham on a light multi-grain english muffin: 3pts
Lunch: Ham sandwich: 3pts
Dinner: Not sure yet Probably chicken of some sort (gotta talk it over w/ the wife)

Got my mile in yesterday. Seeing as it's Friday, I may walk 2 miles today. Smoke a churchill of some sort while walking the extra distance.

Smokin Gator
01-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Morning Andy and Ian,

Last night I did nachos for dinner. I used blue corn tortillas and black beans. Shouldn't have been too bad plus I kept the portion small.

No gym for me again this morning. Hurting too badly after staying up and watching the Gators.

Today:
Snack - Cheese stick
Lunch - Tossed salad with a hamburger patty
Dinner - We are taking my SIL out for her birthday. I'll be good though!!!

I am going to the gym tomorrow morning to make up for missing today.

Starscream
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Morning Andy and Ian,

Last night I did nachos for dinner. I used blue corn tortillas and black beans. Shouldn't have been too bad plus I kept the portion small.

No gym for me again this morning. Hurting too badly after staying up and watching the Gators.

Today:
Snack - Cheese stick
Lunch - Tossed salad with a hamburger patty
Dinner - We are taking my SIL out for her birthday. I'll be good though!!!

I am going to the gym tomorrow morning to make up for missing today.
Nice win last night.:tu

kayaker
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Yesterday wasn't too bad for me.

Breakfast = Raisin Bran
Lunch = Wor Wonton soup
Supper = Donair (dill sauce instead of sweet)
Snack = Kettlecorn

I really need to get more activity though. Moving mattresses around was way more taxing than it should have been.

Today,

Breakfast = raisin Bran

Now I'm going to try a few sets of push ups and crunches/situps.

Ugh!:hn

Starscream
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Yesterday wasn't too bad for me.

Breakfast = Raisin Bran
Lunch = Wor Wonton soup
Supper = Donair (dill sauce instead of sweet)
Snack = Kettlecorn

I really need to get more activity though. Moving mattresses around was way more taxing than it should have been.

Today,

Breakfast = raisin Bran

Now I'm going to try a few sets of push ups and crunches/situps.

Ugh!:hn

Don't know what Wor is, but Wonton soup is:dr. Especially Egg Drop Wonton Soup.:tu And it's healthy too.

Genetic Defect
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't know what Wor is, but Wonton soup is:dr. Especially Egg Drop Wonton Soup.:tu And it's healthy too.

wor means everything

Starscream
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
wor means everything

Everything sounds good too:tu

Genetic Defect
01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Everything sounds good too:tu

yes it does:)

I lost a lb this week just by tweaking my diet a little, next week Im going to integrate HIIT

Starscream
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
yes it does:)

I lost a lb this week just by tweaking my diet a little, next week Im going to integrate HIIT

How are you tweaking, Perry?

Genetic Defect
01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
working third I'm not as hungry so I pack a lighter lunch and I don't as much at home (boredom snacking) and sleeping 8 instead of 6 hours :)

Starscream
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
working third I'm not as hungry so I pack a lighter lunch and I don't as much at home (boredom snacking) and sleeping 8 instead of 6 hours :)

:tu
Third is a whole nother world.

dannysguitar
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I started my lifestyle change in late July of 2008. To date I have lost over 40 lbs (the scale at the doctor maxed out at 350, I weight 310 now) with minimal excersize. Low carb is the way to go, I can eat until I'm full and have steak and eggs for breakfast everyday! In n Out and Carls Jr. has been a Godsend! The one thing I miss about my lifestyle is SUSHI! As far as alcohol goes, after the 1st 2 weeks, I drink all the wine/whiskey/lite beer I can handle!

BTW when I first started, my liver was enlarged and my enzyme count was high. After 3 months my liver counts are back to normal.

Starscream
01-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I started my lifestyle change in late July of 2008. To date I have lost over 40 lbs with minimal excersize. Low carb is the way to go, I can eat until I'm full and have steak and eggs for breakfast everyday! In n Out and Carls Jr. has been a Godsend! The one thing I miss about my lifestyle is SUSHI! As far as alcohol goes, after the 1st 2 weeks, I drink all the wine/whiskey/lite beer I can handle!

Isn't beer/wine/whiskey filled w/ sugars, which turn into carbs? I like some alcohol, but it's been my downfall for a while now.
Congrats on the 40lbs dropped!:tu

dannysguitar
01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Isn't beer/wine/whiskey filled w/ sugars, which turn into carbs? I like some alcohol, but it's been my downfall for a while now.
Congrats on the 40lbs dropped!:tu

Well beer has sugar/carbs, but Bud Select has 3, Ultra has 2.6, Miller Lite has 3.7. So its a balance. Hard alcohol that is not a liqueor (sp) has almost zero carbs but your body does use the alcohol for energy before any fat is used. So it slows down the weight loss but your body will get back on track. Ohh, and wine has trace amounts of sugar. You would think because its sweet it would have sugar but all of the sugar from the grape juice has fermented and is no longer sugar. Its weird how it works....

Starscream
01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Dinner: Lemon pepper chicken, mashed potatoes (skinny), wild rice, and black-eyed peas.

Snacked on a couple handfulls of popcorn, some garlic herb wheat thins, and a few Light Lays chips.
Can't wait to check the scale on Monday.

kayaker
01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Lunch = Beef Enchiladas
Supper = Sushi
Snacks = peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla, some deer jerky

Did some more moving stuff around and my personal workout didn't pan out too much. I also need to work on my portions. I just love eating.:hn

Smokin Gator
01-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Well crap... Didn't do too well yesterday. I had my salad made and in the refrigerator at school and they show up with a huge tray of Chickfil-A nuggets. I fell for the hard.

For dinner I have a grilled chicken breast sandwich.

goalie204
01-10-2009, 08:00 AM
guys, i fail so bad lately. Last night had chinese for dinner, night before I had a&w, and i still havent started working out. /facepalm
I love good food, damnit

Starscream
01-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I also need to work on my portions. I just love eating.:hn
Portion control is everything.
I had my salad made and in the refrigerator at school and they show up with a huge tray of Chickfil-A nuggets.

School facutly and the lounge will get you. I know.
guys, i fail so bad lately. Last night had chinese for dinner, night before I had a&w, and i still havent started working out. /facepalm
I love good food, damnit

Chinese is my favorite. Their is some healthy items on the menu though: Chow Mein, wonton soup, egg drop soup...

jquirit
01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I love good food, damnit

Lovin' good food doesn't mean you gotta give it up, you just have to understand eating it in moderation (and being creative to get what you want).

Don't look at this in a negative light (which won't help you achieve your goals), but think of it as a learning experience and what to avoid next time. Keep working forward, and don't let yourself drag yourself down by thinkin' negatively.

So, what are you going to do now?

Starscream
01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Lovin' good food doesn't mean you gotta give it up, you just have to understand eating it in moderation (and being creative to get what you want).

Set aside one day a week to have a splurge day. Eat something you love that's good and fattening. But only once a week.

kayaker
01-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I had a nice (homemade) breakfast wrap. Couple of eggs scrambled, a little cheese, some honey ham and salsa on a ww tortilla. Tasty stuff. Also had a banana and glass of milk.

Since breakfast I have been doing some work for my bro in his garage.

I think I'll try to hit the climbing gym tomorrow.

Starscream
01-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Today is Day 7. Weigh in is tomorrow. Feeling positive about it.
No clue what's on the menu today. Thinking about some oatmeal right now.

I still have the extra 35pts allotted for the week left to use today. Don't think I will though, as I fear it will mess w/ tomorrow's weigh-in. Should've used 'em up earlier in the week.

kayaker
01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeesh. BBQ for supper with 5 racks of ribs for 5 people. My bro wanted to make sure we had enough for everyone. :confused: We need to redefine what a portion is for us. Our current def is not working so well.

This morning we are heading for Dim Sum. Great, a Chinese buffet that you don't even have to get out of your chair for. I love the food, just need to take it easy.

More puttering around today and cleaning up...if I can move.:hn

Starscream
01-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeesh. BBQ for supper with 5 racks of ribs for 5 people. My bro wanted to make sure we had enough for everyone. :confused: We need to redefine what a portion is for us. Our current def is not working so well.

This morning we are heading for Dim Sum. Great, a Chinese buffet that you don't even have to get out of your chair for. I love the food, just need to take it easy.

More puttering around today and cleaning up...if I can move.:hn

A portion of meat (beef) is the size of the palm of your hand. You probably didn't over do it too bad w/ the rack of ribs (except for the bbq sauce) Careful w/ that buffet though.
Chinese...:dr:dr

Genetic Defect
01-12-2009, 06:28 AM
weighed in at work, Monday last week to Monday this week 3lbs lighter. :)

Starscream
01-12-2009, 07:53 AM
weighed in at work, Monday last week to Monday this week 3lbs lighter. :)

Awesome, Perry!

Update from me in a few on how my week went.

Genetic Defect
01-12-2009, 08:02 AM
thank you, it will be interesting how the switch to second plays in this. I also started some cardio today :)

Starscream
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
thank you, it will be interesting how the switch to second plays in this. I also started some cardio today :)

I hated second. Hope it works out for you w/ the transition, Perry.

Starscream
01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
End of Week 1:

Starting weight (on new digital scale): 261
End weight: 254

7pounds!!!!
Didn't do any walking over the weekend. Gonna walk for one more week, and then start something more high impact.

Week 2

Day 1:
Breakfast: Oatmeal. 4pts
Lunch: Ham sandwich w/ spinach and mustard on light bread. 3pts
Dinner: Leftover chili from last night. 8pts.

Gotta find a way to get 15 more points in today somewhere.

Going walking as soon as I get out of 4th period today. Leaving school as soon as the bell rings.

7 POUNDS!!! I'm excited about this week!

All right fellas, Perry and I have reported in, where's everybody else? Good news for all I hope, but if not, there's always the new week.

Genetic Defect
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Good Andy? Sounds like you are doing great :)

Smokin Gator
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Andy and Perry... congrats guys. I weighed this morning as well. Last week 231... this week 228 so Andy and I both are 3 down!!! I am very happy with that as I ate whatever over the weekend.

Worked out this morning
Breakfast - bowl of... you guessed it.. All Bran
Snack - cheese stick
Lunch - Salad the a bowl of chicken and rice soup
Dinner - will be grilled salmon but I am not sure on the vegetables yet.

Keep up the good work guys!!

Starscream
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Andy and Perry... congrats guys. I weighed this morning as well. Last week 231... this week 228 so Perry and I both are 3 down!!! I am very happy with that as I ate whatever over the weekend.

Worked out this morning
Breakfast - bowl of... you guessed it.. All Bran
Snack - cheese stick
Lunch - Salad the a bowl of chicken and rice soup
Dinner - will be grilled salmon but I am not sure on the vegetables yet.

Keep up the good work guys!!

Way to go!

Starscream
01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Got a mile in today after school. Smoked a Torano Virtuoso on the trip.

Chili and french bread pizza w/ no cheese is very filling. I'm stuffed.

Smokin Gator
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Dinner for me tonight was to the grilled salmon with mixed veggies, a bowl of collard greens, and a couple of slices of this killer garlic bread that my wife brought home. Darn her... I could have done without it.

Starscream
01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Dinner for me tonight was to the grilled salmon with mixed veggies, a bowl of collard greens, and a couple of slices of this killer garlic bread that my wife brought home. Darn her... I could have done without it.:dr:dr

Genetic Defect
01-12-2009, 11:39 PM
yesterday morning my cardio was on a stationarybike 1.25 only three minutes so not the greatest but a start

Starscream
01-13-2009, 05:36 AM
yesterday morning my cardio was on a stationarybike 1.25 only three minutes so not the greatest but a start

Starting is half the battle.

Smokin Gator
01-13-2009, 05:58 AM
I upped my treadmill time by 5 minutes this morning. That puts me at 45 minutes. The program I am doing goes at 3.8 miles per hour, then 3.8 miles an hour with a 6 degree incline for 2 minutes, then back to 3.8 miles per hour, then 4.0 mile per hour. Last week I started jogging during the 4.0 mile per hour part. It is definitely getting easier.

Breakfast - My usual bowl of All Bran
Snack - cheese stick
Lunch - will be a tossed salad and a hamburger patty
Dinner - I have no idea yet!!!

I hope you guys can get in a little exercise today.

Genetic Defect
01-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Starting is half the battle.

shortly I will venture back into that room :r

Starscream
01-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Week 2, Day 2:

Breakfast: oatmeal. 4pts
Luch: ham sandwich 3pts
Dinner: pork tenderloin along w/ some vegetables of some variety (haven't decided yet (?pts)

If the rain holds out, the wife and I are going for another mile (about time to up it). I need a treadmill here. Had a Gazelle, but sold it at a yard sale late last year.

Genetic Defect
01-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Week 2, Day 2:

Breakfast: oatmeal. 4pts
Luch: ham sandwich 3pts
Dinner: pork tenderloin along w/ some vegetables of some variety (haven't decided yet (?pts)

If the rain holds out, the wife and I are going for another mile (about time to up it). I need a treadmill here. Had a Gazelle, but sold it at a yard sale late last year.

A cool gadget to get would be a Garmin forerunner I have the 305 :)

Starscream
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Pork Tenderloin wrapped in bacon w/ potatoes, wild rice, and butter beans last night overdid it for me. But I'm still on track for the week. I got out and walked the mile too.

Week 2:
Day 3

Breakfast: Oatmeal (4pts)
Lunch: Ham/spinach sandwich (3pts)
Dinner: ?
I've got game duty tonight, so no dinner w/ the family. I'll have to figure out something light yet filling to eat. Not sure about getting in my walk either. Gonna be a long day at school today.

Where's the rest to check in? Haven't seen a few people in here for a couple of days. You guys were providing me w/ some support by just posting your routines in here. Hopefully I'm providing some sort of support by posting as well.

Smokin Gator
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey brother... I am glad you got your walk in yesterday.

Dinner last night was chili and cornbread. I didn't over eat though.

I only got a 35 minute workout this morning, but I went a little harder than usual.

Snack - cheese stick
Lunch - Chili and cornbread
Dinner - ??? My son has a soccer game so I am not sure. I am pretty much in the same boat as Andy on this one. I think I may just make a turkey sandwich and take it with me.

Keep up the good work Andy!!

Starscream
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Keep up the good work Andy!!

Same to you. Same to you.

jquirit
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Andy, I've been splitting time between this one and the Zemekone/Icehog weightlifting thread. Let me update!

Yesterday I had an awesome cardio day. Was doing interval running on a treadmill with the program breaking down like this:

5 minutes warm-up
1 minute @ 6mph then 1 minute @ 2.7mph (repeat 10 times)
1 minute @ 7mph then 2 minutes @ 2.7mph (repeat 5 times)
3 minutes warm-down

The first two or three intervals @ 6mph felt really tough. My heart rate was way up from normal but over the next few everything loosened up and it got really easy. So easy that I breezed through the 6mph and had not as much difficulty with the 7mph intervals as I usually did. So I did a single interval at 8mph (basically a full-on sprint on the treadmill). Now that was tough but it got my heart racing real good. Heart rate peaked out about 180bpm during that interval.

Today is back on legs: lunges, standing calf raises, leg curls, and probably a few dumbbell deadlifts. Maybe a bit of shoulders while I'm at it, too. And then 35 minutes on the elliptical to finish things off.

Starscream
01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice workout! Keep up the good work!:tu

Starscream
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Looks like the drive thru for me tonight. Four Fresco crunchy tacos from Taco Bell will do me for today I guess.

12stones
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm still going down, down, down... 15 lbs in three weeks.

Since Sunday I've been doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and rotating between a back/bi routine and chest/tri routine. Tomorrow's my day off, then it'll be back at it on Friday.

Breakfast today (and everyday) is scrambled eggs with sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms.
Snacks were low-fat cheese stick and celery with a smattering of natural peanut butter.
Lunch and dinner was chicken/bean burrito with whole wheat tortilla and guacamole.

I'm putting this in my sig for a current status update: Start weight/Current weight/Goal weight. So, today it'll look like this: S: 226/C: 211/G: 175

Starscream
01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm still going down, down, down... 15 lbs in three weeks.

You are putting us all to shame. Awesome!

12stones
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
It's only cause I'm just in the beginning stage. I'm doing South Beach and the first two weeks of phase I makes you drop weight quickly. It's gonna slow down sooner than I'd like.

Starscream
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
It's only cause I'm just in the beginning stage. I'm doing South Beach and the first two weeks of phase I makes you drop weight quickly. It's gonna slow down sooner than I'd like.

So true. You drop quick in the early stages.

Great idea in your signature. I am using that too! My goal is short term right now though. Taking this in steps.

Smokin Gator
01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Good morning my weight losing brothers!!!

Dinner last night I went a little overboard. My son's soccer game as about 45 minutes away and right across the street from my favorite Cuban restaurant. I had ropa veija (kind of like a stewed beef), yellow rice, black beans, fried plantains. All of that was probably fine as the portions were pretty small. However, I had 4 slices of Cuban bread.

Put in 45 minutes this morning on the treadmill. The parts that have been at 4 miles per hour I bumped up to 5 mph. I really felt good afterwards.

Breakfast - the usual
Snack - the usual
Lunch - tossed salad with a grilled chicken breast

Dinner will be tough again as my son has another soccer game and we are eating out with family before the game. I'll try to lay off of the bread tonight!!!

Great idea on the sig... I will do it too!!!

kayaker
01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, I'm one week in and have had mixed results.

I'm down 4.4lbs, which is good, but I still need to work on my eating and activity level. There are a few bad items here at my brother's house that I didn't bring here, wouldn't normally buy, but am snacking on. I also haven't started any exercise, but I'm going to change that after this weekend.

I'm going indoor climbing on Saturday and ice climbing for a couple of days on Sunday. I'll start climbing at the gym regularly after that, and may even join a cute friend at her kickboxing classes.

In any case, here are the results:
249.2/244.8/220 (s.t.)

I'm only saying 220 for now, because I have not been there in a very long time. I doubt I would get much lower than 200, so that may be the long term goal, once I reach the short term.

jquirit
01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Updated my signature with the line (S: 220/C: 218/G:180). It's kinda strange to think that four years ago I was 170 and now I'm up at 218, but then that's what happens when you start living off of fast food, drinking lots of beer, and (in general) not taking good care of yourself.

I am still working on my nutrition at the moment. Need to get back into the habit of cooking for myself more and more. Did grill up 6 lbs of chicken thighs (bone-in) to use as components for meals. Also want to add in a late snack (ie - 9pm) of cottage cheese.

Starscream
01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Well, I'm one week in and have had mixed results.

I'm down 4.4lbs, which is good, but I still need to work on my eating and activity level. There are a few bad items here at my brother's house that I didn't bring here, wouldn't normally buy, but am snacking on. I also haven't started any exercise, but I'm going to change that after this weekend.

I'm going indoor climbing on Saturday and ice climbing for a couple of days on Sunday. I'll start climbing at the gym regularly after that, and may even join a cute friend at her kickboxing classes.

In any case, here are the results:
249.2/244.8/220 (s.t.)

I'm only saying 220 for now, because I have not been there in a very long time. I doubt I would get much lower than 200, so that may be the long term goal, once I reach the short term.

4.4lbs is great! Keep it up.:tu

Week 2: Day 4

Breakfast: same
Lunch: same
Dinner: ??
No exercise yesterday. Gotta force some in somewhere today between another late day at school and then doing coursework this evening for my university courses.

kayaker
01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Breakfast = 2 eggs, English rasher bacon (very lean), juice and milk.
Lunch = IDK
Supper = IDK

I have a few chores to do around here. I may also try to clear out around the heavy bag and beat it up until I get beat out. Won't take long.

Starscream
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Week 2:
Day 5

Didn't get any exercise in for two days straight now. Gotta do it today. Damn lesson plans, end of semester grading, and then taking two university courses on top of that are time consuming.

Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: Sandwich
Dinner: ??

Last night I had Pesto chicken in tomato sauce w/ panchetta(sp) and linguini noodles. I got on the scale last night and have only dropped one more pound, but the OFFICIAL weigh-in is not until Monday. So here's to a big weekend for me. My wife is following the diet part with me pretty well, but acts like it's a hassle to get in any exercise. That's what makes it harder for me. I want to do this together all the way.

Today is two weeks w/o alcohol, btw.:dance:

goalie204
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
down about 7-8 lbs since i started this south beach phase 1, and modified phase 1, just eating a lot of lean meats, good fish, veg, and very little grain carbs, still haven't done ANY exercise. On my trip next week i'm going to try hard to, booked hotels with exercise rooms. Sorry bout the single long run on sentence ;P

Smokin Gator
01-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Good morning Andy, Ian, and the weight loss crew.

Andy and I are kind of opposite paths this week. My diet has not been what it should be (dinners specifically), but I have had my best week in a long time with exercise.

Dinner last night before the soccer game was a couple of pieces of veggie pizza and one beer.

Worked out for 45 minutes this morning. On the higher speed intervals I bumped it up to a 10 minute mile pace. It really felt good!!

Breakfast - the usual
Snack - the usual
Lunch - Tossed salad with a can of tuna
Dinner - I think I am going to do grilled shrimp and veggies - not sure though.

Have a healthy day guys!!!

12stones
01-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Morning all. Down another lb from yesterday. Here's yesterday's stuff:

BF: Usual - 2 eggs with sauteed green peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
Lunch: Chicken/Been burrito with whole grain tortilla
Dinner: Same as lunch
Desert: Peanut butter cup-type mixture. For you dessert lovers, take a sugar free fudgecicle, microwave it for 10 seconds, add in a Tbsp of natural peanut butter, and 2 Tbsp of Sugar Free Cool Whip, mix together and enjoy. It's truly helped me through

Did 20 minutes on the elliptical and the chest/tri workout.

goalie204
01-17-2009, 08:05 AM
you guys that are weighing yourselves everydays....talked to a few different doctors, and they all suggest not doing this, and trying to do it once every week or two max. They say the body can fluctuate as much as a couple pounds up or down and weighing yourself everyday isn't recommended... just my opinion (and the few doctors i asked about it)

Smokin Gator
01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
you guys that are weighing yourselves everydays....talked to a few different doctors, and they all suggest not doing this, and trying to do it once every week or two max. They say the body can fluctuate as much as a couple pounds up or down and weighing yourself everyday isn't recommended... just my opinion (and the few doctors i asked about it)

Funny you should mention that. Whenever I have been watching my weight in the past I would weigh every day. This time I decided I was going to weigh myself once a week on Monday. I'm not really sure why... it is just what I am going to do.

kayaker
01-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Part of the issue is becoming too weight obsessed. Like was said above, fluctuations occur. Same thing if you tried weighing yourself several times a day.

Some times I'll weigh myself at night to see how much I drop by the next morning.

In any case, watching what you eat and being active is more important than the actual weight loss. The loss is more of a side benefit. I'd rather be my weight now and exercising regularly and being fit, than being my ideal weight and not.

But for me, if I stay active enough, the weight comes off. A bit anyways.

kayaker
01-17-2009, 10:23 AM
OK, this week is going to be a total write-off.

My bro is back for the weekend and cooking an old favourite that our grandma used to make for us.

Fresh bacon (thick cut bacon that has not been salted/smoked), with eggs fried in the grease. And there's a lot of it.

On the plus side, we're having whole wheat bread with it. :bh

I'll be lucky if I'm only back to starting weight.

I'll have to start pushing hard for the rest of the week, exercise and eating right.

Hope the rest of you are fairing better.

Starscream
01-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I have one official weigh-in, which is on Monday, but I check more than once a week just out of curiosity. My official one is the only one that matters to me.

Week 2:
Day 6

Who knows what Saturday brings on the menu. No routine for Saturdays here. I have a lot of course work to get done today too.:(

Good luck all!

12stones
01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I weigh myself everyday, but have an official weigh-in once a week. I see the fluctuations in myself and they range from 2-3 lbs a day, but as long as my week-to-week keeps going... I'm good.

Oh, and if you guys aren't aware of it, www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/) has a bunch of great recipes that help out. You don't have to sign up to use it.

goalie204
01-18-2009, 04:48 AM
this week is going to be hard, going on a sales trip and will be eating in a restaurant for practically every meal. Oh boy. They have workout rooms in a lot of the hotels i picked, I am GOING to start exercising and stop putting it off damnit

Smokin Gator
01-18-2009, 05:34 AM
In any case, watching what you eat and being active is more important than the actual weight loss. The loss is more of a side benefit. I'd rather be my weight now and exercising regularly and being fit, than being my ideal weight and not.

That is exactly how I am trying to approach this. I realize that as I am approaching 50 my body has just changed. I need to eat smaller portions and healthier foods. That does not mean that I can't have the occasional rack of ribs or a plate of chicken wings. It just means that I need to be eating smarter on a daily basis and getting regular exercise. Slowly but surely it is a lifestyle change not a diet.

Genetic Defect
01-19-2009, 07:06 AM
today is the first day of the rest of my life, starting it off with 1/2c Oatmeal, 1c Milk, 1/2ts of ground cinnamon

Genetic Defect
01-19-2009, 07:14 AM
not sure if this was posted earlier I used it in the passed it was helpful in tracking my intake.
www.fitday.com

Starscream
01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Week 2 results: Down to 250lbs. Dropped another 4lbs, a total of 11lbs since start. :dance::)
Not what I was hoping for but I'll take it. Was hoping to be in the 40s to start this week.
Nice link, Perry.:tu

Genetic Defect
01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
thanks Andy :) it was useful for my keto diet phase

kayaker
01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Way to go Andy. Nothing wrong with 4lbs down. You don't want to lose the weight too quickly. Your body needs time to adjust.

I had an active weekend. Got to the climbing gym on Saturday and ice climbing yesterday. Nothing hard, but it was fun and I was doing stuff. I may actually lose another little bit by the time I weigh in on Thursday.

Starscream
01-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Way to go Andy. Nothing wrong with 4lbs down. You don't want to lose the weight too quickly. Your body needs time to adjust.

I had an active weekend. Got to the climbing gym on Saturday and ice climbing yesterday. Nothing hard, but it was fun and I was doing stuff. I may actually lose another little bit by the time I weigh in on Thursday.

Sounds good for the weigh-in! Keep it up.

Starscream
01-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh, and if you guys aren't aware of it, www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/) has a bunch of great recipes that help out. You don't have to sign up to use it.
Thanks for another great link!

pmwz
01-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I think its a good time to start loosing weight.
starting weight: 266.7lbs
goal: 210-220 lbs
i am going to post my raw plan later...

Starscream
01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I think its a good time to start loosing weight.
goal: 210-220 lbs
i am going to post my raw plan later...

The more the merrier! Welcome!

Genetic Defect
01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
this mornings fitday
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/chunkysoup/fitday/19January2009.jpg

Smokin Gator
01-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Hey guys... sorry I didn't check in yesterday. I was doing honey dos all day long.

Got to the gym the yesterday and today. The workout I am doing is 45 minutes and gets me 2.92 miles. I am also starting a thing at work were we wear a pedometer and track our distances. It should be interesting.

Drum roll please... down two pounds this week. That is just about right. Today and
Thursday I will have to be careful at dinner as my son has soccer games. Other than that I am looking forward to a great week!!

kayaker
01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Good job Brent.

I'm just getting up. I'll have a light breakfast, prepare and mail out a couple of bombs and then hit the climbing gym just before lunch.

Maybe I'll also hit the heavy bag for a little bit.

Starscream
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey guys... sorry I didn't check in yesterday. I was doing honey dos all day long.

Got to the gym the yesterday and today. The workout I am doing is 45 minutes and gets me 2.92 miles. I am also starting a thing at work were we wear a pedometer and track our distances. It should be interesting.

Drum roll please... down two pounds this week. That is just about right. Today and
Thursday I will have to be careful at dinner as my son has soccer games. Other than that I am looking forward to a great week!!
Good job! Keep it up!:salute:

Genetic Defect
01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
3.65 in ten minutes :) I'm moving up

Starscream
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Snowing here. Another day off from work. Getting off routine is bad for me. I did get some exercise in being chased by the kids in the snow. Meals are getting heavy here though. I had four pancakes and 6pcs of bacon for breakfast, 7 bagel bites(pizzas on a minibagel) for lunch. :hn

12stones
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I won't be checkin' in often because my routine doesn't vary much at all.

Today it was my usual again:

2 eggs scrambled with sauteed vegetables and 2 pieces of turkey bacon
Lunch was a chicken and cheese sandwich on rye.
Dinner was the taco bake in a whole wheat tortilla.
Had a low-fat string cheese stick and a cut up cucumber for snacks.

Will be doing my 45 minute routine tonight. Back, bi, cardio...

Starscream
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Week 3
Day 3

Still no work due to weather. No routine is hurting me.

So far only have had some oatmeal and three cups of coffee. Overdid it last night w/ the roast.

Ricky, check in as often as you wish. Everybody keep up the good work. Not as optimistic about this week, but here goes.

Smokin Gator
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Andy... I'm with you brother... I did get a little over 6 miles walked yesterday between my gym time and what the pedometer said I did at school. However, I didn't go to the gym today because my weekly men's bible study group started back up. I only have a little over a mile on the pedometer as it is so cold down here I can hardly get out (I know I am a whimp and it is nothing for you guys up north!!!).

I should go to the gym this afternoon, but I don't know if I can make it or not.

Last night dinner - Subway spicy Italian sub

Breakfast - bowl of Fiber One
Lunch - leftover brisket chunks with black beans, rice, and collard greens.

Starscream
01-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Yesterday was a good day, menuwise. Oatmeal for breakfast, wheat thin and ham for snack, then chicken noodle soup, corn on the cob, and beans for dinner.

Cleaned out the garage yesterday too. Maybe that counts as a little bit of exercise.

Smokin Gator
01-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Glad you had a go day Andy!!! I got in 3.26 miles with the pedometer. I did to the gym this morning so I am starting the day at school with 2.93 miles under my belt already.

Dinner last night was a bowl of vegetable beef soup and 2 small slices of french bread

Snack - cheese stick
Lunch - bowl of vegetable beef soup
Dinner will be something on the road to my son's last regular season HS soccer match!!

Have a great day guys.

Starscream
01-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Glad you had a go day Andy!!! I got in 3.26 miles with the pedometer. I did to the gym this morning so I am starting the day at school with 2.93 miles under my belt already.

Dinner last night was a bowl of vegetable beef soup and 2 small slices of french bread

Snack - cheese stick
Lunch - bowl of vegetable beef soup
Dinner will be something on the road to my son's last regular season HS soccer match!!

Have a great day guys.
Good luck to your son in his last regular season match.:tu

kayaker
01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, I guess my last day or two made up for my transgressions earlier in the week. I managed a meager drop of .4lbs. Not much, but I was figuring I would be closer to my starting weight.

I'm going to hit the climbing gym again today. I should probably also hit the heavy bag for a while.

Meals are an unknown at this point.

jquirit
01-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Gonna swing by old gym to see if I can renew my membership at the old rate. Need to keep on exercising and I no longer have access to the work gym. But, been keeping busy and walking a mile-half each day. Will need to increase it, though.

12stones
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Tomorrow's the official weigh-in. Today it's been one month since I started this diet. I'm very happy with the results so far. Can't wait to see how the morning is.

12stones
01-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Down two lbs for the week! I'm at my lowest weight in over 3 years. And I'm trucking along!

Smokin Gator
01-23-2009, 04:12 AM
Down two lbs for the week! I'm at my lowest weight in over 3 years. And I'm trucking along!

That is awesome brother:salute:

Keep up the good work.

I just finished at the gym. I upped the treadmill another level. It was just more time at 5.0 mph. It felt good though.

Last night's dinner was a slice of lashon asado (Cuban pork roast) and black beans. There was rice too, but I left if alone.

Breakfast will be a bowl of Fiber One
Snack will be a cheese stick
Lunch is soup again
I may reward myself for dinner and have a steak, small baked potato and salad.

Later folks!

goalie204
01-23-2009, 06:13 AM
so it seems that exercise is key. that makes me sad cuz i dislike it. I still haven't started :(

Smokin Gator
01-23-2009, 06:20 AM
so it seems that exercise is key. that makes me sad cuz i dislike it. I still haven't started :(

Believe me brother... I understand!!!

I have always been active and never had much if any weight problems. After 42 or so things started to change and the weight started creeping up. I had never "worked out" so I tried the dieting thing. It works but, for me, not long term. I like to eat what I like to eat. As much as I have despised it, I have been going to the gym pretty much 5 days a week for the last year. I have also paid attention to my portion sizes. My weight is slowly getting back to where I want it and I am actually feeling good after my workouts.

Give it a try for a couple of months and see what you think.

Starscream
01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Awesome! :tu Keep on truckin'!

As much as I have despised it, I have been going to the gym pretty much 5 days a week for the last year.
I despise a lot of it too. We need to figure out some form of exercise that is fun, like playing a sport of some sort.

Starscream
01-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Week 3
Day 4

Caught a sinus infection (cold) of some sort and have been out of whack. Pretty much laid in bed after I got home yesterday.
Yesterday:
Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: Sandwich
Dinner: Grilled teryaki chicken strips, w/ roasted potatoes.

Today I feel like crap again, but not as bad as yesterday. Gonna try to get in some Tae-Bo today (don't laugh, it works) if my body feels up to it. There is a lot of pressure in my forehead, my nose is constantly running, and I have an overall run-down feeling. At least I'm back on my routine for the day.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: SlimFast bar: Strawberry Cheesecake
Lunch: three leftover grilled teryaki chicken strips
Dinner: unknown

kayaker
01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

I have always been active and never had much if any weight problems. After 42 or so things started to change and the weight started creeping up. I had never "worked out" so I tried the dieting thing. It works but, for me, not long term. I like to eat what I like to eat. As much as I have despised it, I have been going to the gym pretty much 5 days a week for the last year. I have also paid attention to my portion sizes. My weight is slowly getting back to where I want it and I am actually feeling good after my workouts.

The "change" happened to me when I was in my early twenties. I was always a skinny kid who could eat lots of everything. 2nd year university I was 165lbs. Then my metabolism hit a big brick wall.

I haven't got the interest or attention span to "work out", but I love being active in outdoor sports. Kayaking, climbing, mountain biking. But for me it's about being social too. I used to have a 20min bike ride home that I hated. But I could go urban riding for a couple of hours with a friend.

In any case, hopefully you can find an activity that you enjoy and can do easily enough.

Genetic Defect
01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
The "change" happened to me when I was in my early twenties. I was always a skinny kid who could eat lots of everything. 2nd year university I was 165lbs. Then my metabolism hit a big brick wall.

I haven't got the interest or attention span to "work out", but I love being active in outdoor sports. Kayaking, climbing, mountain biking. But for me it's about being social too. I used to have a 20min bike ride home that I hated. But I could go urban riding for a couple of hours with a friend.

In any case, hopefully you can find an activity that you enjoy and can do easily enough.
happened in 6th grade for me :bh

pmwz
01-24-2009, 02:00 PM
here is my plan for the first month or so:
1 hr/day 5days/week bicycle (way to work)
3/week lifting weights + 30 min cardio
cut down on drinking coke (just on weekends)
drink ~3l water a day
I want to start jogging in a month or so when the weather gets a bit warmer.

weight lifting goal for this year:
bench press 225 8 times
i am going to add goals for other major lifts when i have them figured out

Starscream
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Yesterday I pulled a two miler and did a little arm work with the dumbells. Gotta get my homework completed today. Hope to get in some more exercise this evening.

Today I ate a fajita taco salad and a ton of chips and salsa. I guess I'm skipping dinner as a result of this big meal. Weigh in is tomorrow. :bx

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Yesterday I pulled a two miler and did a little arm work with the dumbells. Gotta get my homework completed today. Hope to get in some more exercise this evening.

Today I ate a fajita taco salad and a ton of chips and salsa. I guess I'm skipping dinner as a result of this big meal. Weigh in is tomorrow. :bx

kids?

Starscream
01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
kids?

:r
Not in this case. But usually, Yes!

12stones
01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Had a breakfast burrito this morning with 2 eggs, sauteed vegetables and 2 strips of turkey bacon in a whole wheat tortilla with salsa for breakfast.

Just had a pan-fried catfish sandwich on rye for lunch and some peanuts for a snack.

Will workout tonight when the girls go back to their mom's.

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
:r
Not in this case. But usually, Yes!

:r took the weekend off from cardio

Starscream
01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Had a breakfast burrito this morning with 2 eggs, sauteed vegetables and 2 strips of turkey bacon in a whole wheat tortilla with salsa for breakfast.

Just had a pan-fried catfish sandwich on rye for lunch and some peanuts for a snack.

Will workout tonight when the girls go back to their mom's.

Have fun w/ the girls, Ricky.

Smokin Gator
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Did OK on the eating this weekend. Yesterday I had a chicken salad sandwich for lunch. Dinner was a filet with baked potato and salad. This morning I had an egg sandwich for breakfast. I had tuna salad sandwich with carrot sticks for lunch. Tonight was are having pancakes.

I am hoping to be down a couple more pounds tomorrow as I had a very good week of workouts.

Starscream
01-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Did OK on the eating this weekend. Yesterday I had a chicken salad sandwich for lunch. Dinner was a filet with baked potato and salad. This morning I had an egg sandwich for breakfast. I had tuna salad sandwich with carrot sticks for lunch. Tonight was are having pancakes.

I am hoping to be down a couple more pounds tomorrow as I had a very good week of workouts.

Pancakes for dinner! :dr

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
this weekend was shot to hell, tomorrow I will resume my path to enlighten ment and angst.

Smokin Gator
01-25-2009, 06:54 PM
this weekend was shot to hell, tomorrow I will resume my path to enlighten ment and angst.

LOL... I tend to do the same thing on the weekends. Get a couple (or a few) drinks in me and I may eat the entire refrigerator!!!

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
LOL... I tend to do the same thing on the weekends. Get a couple (or a few) drinks in me and I may eat the entire refrigerator!!!

weekends are divine for that. plus two days wouldn't hurt may actually help as it keeps the metabolism from getting set.

kayaker
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
My brother is turning out to be a bad influence on me here. I tend to do better on my own.

This weekend is shot altogether and I'm going to have to work hard this week to make up for it.

Had several pints of Guiness last night and am now on my way for Scotch and haggis at a Burn's Day party.

12stones
01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Had several pints of Guiness last night and am now on my way for Scotch and haggis at a Burn's Day party.

Are you going kilted? I didn't get out for a Burn's Dinner, but I wish I had. I had the kids this weekend, so no Burn's for me. Maybe next year.

Starscream
01-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Are you going kilted?

Wish I still had my kilt.

Just finished a three miler tonight. Hopefully it'll help me out on my weigh-in tomorrow morning. Dying to get below the 250 mark. Here's to 249 or less.

Seems we've all had a rough weekend, dietary wise.

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Wish I still had my kilt.

Just finished a three miler tonight. Hopefully it'll help me out on my weigh-in tomorrow morning. Dying to get below the 250 mark. Here's to 249 or less.

Seems we've all had a rough weekend, dietary wise.

I'm a stress/emotional eater

Starscream
01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm a stress/emotional eater

Hang in there, Perry.

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Hang in there, Perry.

thank you. A long road wrought with peril that only this man could make.

Starscream
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
thank you. A long road wrought with peril that only this man could make.

Quoted from?

My guess is HWIII.?.

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Quoted from?

My guess is HWIII.?.

:confused: I just typed it, if it was a quote it was incidental.
what is HWIII?

kayaker
01-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Are you going kilted?

Nah. I have to get one made. Not sure of my Scottish ancestry but my last name is Fong. We have a tartan for my home Province, so I'm looking at getting one made of that.

The haggis was great and the Scotch even better.

Starscream
01-26-2009, 07:11 AM
:confused: I just typed it, if it was a quote it was incidental.
what is HWIII?

Hank Williams III

Starscream
01-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Week 3 results: Still at 250lbs. No loss, no gain. Oh, well...
This makes me all the more motivated to get active. Have had some pretty decent exercise the last two days. Hope to keep it up. Gotta break into the 240s this week. No more slacking.

Smokin Gator
01-26-2009, 07:49 AM
No loss for me either... I really felt like I would be down a little because I had such a good week of exercise. Like you said though Andy, oh well. At least I didn't gain!!!

12stones
01-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Nah. I have to get one made. Not sure of my Scottish ancestry but my last name is Fong. We have a tartan for my home Province, so I'm looking at getting one made of that.

The haggis was great and the Scotch even better.

Let me know if you want some names of good kiltmakers. Or if you just want to get a cheaper alternative, I can point you in that direction as well.

Starscream
01-26-2009, 08:23 AM
No loss for me either... I really felt like I would be down a little because I had such a good week of exercise. Like you said though Andy, oh well. At least I didn't gain!!!
No gain is still success. Not great success, but some nonetheless.
Let me know if you want some names of good kiltmakers. Or if you just want to get a cheaper alternative, I can point you in that direction as well.

Quality kilts and full Scottish uniforms can get expensive. My marching band outfit (we were the Scotland High School Fighting Scots) cost almost $2,000 for the whole outfit, and I'm sure they can get up even higher than that.

Genetic Defect
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Hank Williams III

Should have guessed that :)

12stones
01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
No gain is still success. Not great success, but some nonetheless.

Quality kilts and full Scottish uniforms can get expensive. My marching band outfit (we were the Scotland High School Fighting Scots) cost almost $2,000 for the whole outfit, and I'm sure they can get up even higher than that.

If you're looking for a full 8-9 yard knife pleated 16oz wool kilt and accessories it sure can get costly. With the popularity of the kilt growing, there are other tartan materials available to bring the cost down. I won't buy a hand-sewn wool kilt until I reach my goal weight but I do have kilts that are less than $150 that I wear for everyday use.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I love kilts.

12stones
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I guess talking about kilts killed the thread. Oh well... back on track.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with sauteed veggies and 2 pieces of turkey bacon (anyone noticing a pattern?)
Lunch: Chicken and bean burrito on a whole wheat tortilla
Dinner: Pan-fried chicken and a salad
Snacks: one low-fat cheese stick and one cucumber

Did my 20 minutes of cardio of which I kicked ass! And my chest routine. Feelin' good!

Starscream
01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
I guess talking about kilts killed the thread. Oh well... back on track.

Prices killed the kilt thread. My parents traveled to London back in October. They picked up a scarf w/ the Sutherland clan official colors/plaid. The scarf alone cost well more than what I would be willing to pay. And that was nowhere near what a kilt would cost. (I want to get one someday in the future, just for the hell of it though).

Steak and potatoes, garlic bread, and peas and carrots for supper. Drinking a lot of water tonight. Got my taxes done today, and am caught up in all the puff drama today. No workout for me. Will have to tomorrow.:bh

kayaker
01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Today I had left over Thai for breakfast and lunch, and pizza for supper. Not great, but I got out climbing for a couple of hours. Wasn't as active as usual at the gym, but I was helping out my cute friend and 3 of her cute friends.

I'll make up for it tomorrow.

The material I can get for my kilt is not wool and not that expensive. My wife is a bit of an amateur seamstress, so I'll get her on the job.

Genetic Defect
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
down two lbs this weigh in

Smokin Gator
01-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Nice job brother... keep it up!!!

Had tacos for dinner last night. Kept my portions reasonable.

Only got to work out for about 30 minutes at the gym this morning. The bathroom was locked and I had to go back to the house:fl I did run for the whole time though. My endurance is definitely getting better. At this time last year I was smoking cigarettes and I bet I couldn't have run for 5 minutes without stopping.

Breakfast this morning was the usual Fiber One
Lunch is a tossed salad with some leftover filet slices
Dinner is undecided

Have a great healthy day gents.

Genetic Defect
01-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice job brother... keep it up!!!

Had tacos for dinner last night. Kept my portions reasonable.

Only got to work out for about 30 minutes at the gym this morning. The bathroom was locked and I had to go back to the house:fl I did run for the whole time though. My endurance is definitely getting better. At this time last year I was smoking cigarettes and I bet I couldn't have run for 5 minutes without stopping.

Breakfast this morning was the usual Fiber One
Lunch is a tossed salad with some leftover filet slices
Dinner is undecided

Have a great healthy day gents.

it was a shocker considering I thought I blew with what I ate this weekend :)

kayaker
01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I've been eating more left over Thai. Once I have supper that will be all three meals today.

No formal exercise, but I spent a few hours tearing down a couple of walls in my brother's basement.

Starscream
01-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Congrats!
. Wasn't as active as usual at the gym, but I was helping out my cute friend and 3 of her cute friends.

I bet that was worth it.:D

Went and had supper at my parents' house. Ate too much, but I only had a bowl of oatmeal since I got up this morning. Hopefully it'll balance itself out. Walked 1 mile this evening. Hope to go a couple more before bed.

Starscream
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Didn't get out and do any more exercise last night. Got caught up in the forum drama as of late. Looks like it's all behind us though.

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: jalapeno sunflower seeds
Dinner: going out

kayaker
01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Breakfast - Raisin Bran and a bananna
Lunch - ham sammies
Supper - ???

Going welding for a while today. Practicing some procedures to challenge my next block of school. Not really exercise, but it beats sitting at a desk all day.

Weigh in is tomorrow and it's not looking great.

goalie204
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
im goin a little nuts lately with the eating, thinking of joining weight watchers online. Maybe if i spend money it will help, i duno anymore ;/

12stones
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Congrats Perry!!

kayaker
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I found weight watchers great for learning how to balance my food intake. Learning about what foods were worse or better, and how to watch my portions was great, even if it was just following along with my wife.

Now I just tend to ignore it all, so I'm thinking about getting my wife to send the guides and tools along. I know I need it.

Good luck.

Starscream
01-28-2009, 01:42 PM
im goin a little nuts lately with the eating, thinking of joining weight watchers online. Maybe if i spend money it will help, i duno anymore ;/

Join up, get all the material (guides, points scale, etc) then leave. Don't pay the monthly WW fees unless you want someone to support you each month. You can have that here for free.

Smokin Gator
01-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey gents... short update here... I suck... N exercise, but did eat OK. Going to my son's soccer game now so maybe I can walk the track a bit.

pmwz
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
cant go to the gym because the cold hit me reall bad . Still driving 8 miles a day with my bicycle.
I somehow cant get me to drink 3l water a day...

Shaerza
01-29-2009, 07:35 AM

If you can afford the $15 a month for the online plan, I would recommend it. The fact that I knew I was paying for it did help motivate me to make sure I was actually recording what I ate everyday. If you think you will stay dedicated to paper and pencil tracking then Andys suggestion is probably better.. but I never remembered to write anything down when I actually ate, so the online database made it quite easy to go back in find values for the meals. It also lets ya save 'favorites' so if you eat certain things often, you just have one click to add those do your daily allowance.

The other feature I found helpful with the online tracking was the weigh-in chart tracking. Now maybe you are savvy enough to create a excel chart etc to track this, but I honestly think that seeing the steady downslope of the chart while I was doing the diet was one of the most motivating factors.

I haven't really checked in much since the start of this.. but it looks like you guys are doing really well, and staying motivated. Keep up the good work! :ze:ze

goalie204
01-29-2009, 09:20 AM
I joined. Not sure how to gauge some stuff tho, like homeade stew or something. How to figure out the "points"

Shaerza
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
For alot of home made meals I would either try to find a preset item I thought would be close to what I had made, and if I couldnt find anything I would break it down into the ingredients and then take a points value from what a portion would end up being

Starscream
01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
The other feature I found helpful with the online tracking was the weigh-in chart tracking. Now maybe you are savvy enough to create a excel chart etc to track this, but I honestly think that seeing the steady downslope of the chart while I was doing the diet was one of the most motivating factors.

You can track weight via chart for free here.
l
l
V

www.fitday.com

For alot of home made meals I would either try to find a preset item I thought would be close to what I had made, and if I couldnt find anything I would break it down into the ingredients and then take a points value from what a portion would end up being:tpd:
Break it down ingredient by ingredient. It's not hard or time consuming to do.

Starscream
01-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Going to Olive Garden on Friday, fellas.:dr Gotta workout/exercise extra hard between now and Monday to make up for it.

kayaker
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, I had another minor drop of .4 lbs to make it 244 even. At least I didn't go up. Guess I have to be thankful for the small victories.:rolleyes:

I'm on the way back down to tear apart some more of my brother's basement. I just hope he is expecting me to be able to put any of it back together.:D

Starscream
01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
.4 is still down. Congrats! Have fun tearing the basement apart.:)

12stones
01-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Morning all. Official weigh-in this morning was at 205! Woo hoo!!

goalie204
01-30-2009, 05:26 AM
First day of weight watchers was yesterday, it's not so hard. Some folks i talked to said "you'll be hungry all the time" didn't find that at all. Lost some weight even. Today is day #2

Starscream
01-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Morning all. Official weigh-in this morning was at 205! Woo hoo!!
Awesome!
First day of weight watchers was yesterday, it's not so hard. Some folks i talked to said "you'll be hungry all the time" didn't find that at all. Lost some weight even. Today is day #2

If you do it right, you'll find that you will be hungry less often while on the program.

Starscream
01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Off to eat like a horse. Going to Olive Garden tonight w/ the wife to celebrate her getting a new job. Then to see a movie and have a big @$$ bag of popcorn. I've saved up some points for this. And I'm gonna work hard to make up for it too. Eating like this once in a while can't hurt.

BTW, today makes 4 weeks of me not drinking. I think that helps a lot with the weightloss.

Starscream
01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Didn't do too bad last night at the OG. The appetizer was fried calamari (delicious, but not healthy), and for the main course I had seafood portofino (shrimp, scallops, and mussels are pretty light, although the pasta and alfredo sauce were fattening). The large popcorn (no butter) at the movie theater wasn't that healthy either. Yesterday was also my four week mark w/o alcohol.

bonjing
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
I thought popcorn with no butter wasn't to bad for you?

Starscream
01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
I thought popcorn with no butter wasn't to bad for you?

Movie theater popcorn is still fattening. They pop it in heavy oil. It's not the worst you can do, better than buying the candy at the movies.

bonjing
01-31-2009, 10:23 PM
i didn't know that. I'm working on losing a lot of weight myself

Starscream
01-31-2009, 10:25 PM
i didn't know that. I'm working on losing a lot of weight myself

Welcome to the wieghtloss thread. Feel free to keep us updated. The more the merrier. We're all in this together.

bonjing
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
been working on it since 01/15. just a big change in my eating habits. no more eating heavy or late night snacking. I lost 20lbs last year and just lost focus. Now I'm back to the same routine.

pmwz
02-01-2009, 04:45 AM
current weight: 262 lbs
i am going to hit the gym at least 3 times this week
new lifting goal: squat 315

kayaker
02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Movie theater popcorn is still fattening.

Air popped is the best way. Then you can add smaller amounts of your own butter/salt or dry seasoning. I've used Mrs. Dash spices for this. Interesting flavours but no MSG.

The other way to to have it the way you like and just eat a smaller amount. I love popcorn so that part is difficult for me.:D

I've been having a decent weekend. I may actually be on track for a good weigh-in on Thursday.

Starscream
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Woo Hoo!
Finally made it below the 250 mark. Official weigh-in today was 247lbs, a drop of three pounds for the week. That makes it a total of 14lbs in a month.

Breakfast: Wheat toast w/ spinach and asagio chicken sausage (4pts)
Lunch: Same as breakfast (4pts)
Dinner: ?

Hopefully going walking after school with a good cigar.

kayaker
02-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Way to go Andy!!! Keep up the good work. :tu

bonjing
02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Congratulations Andy!!!!!

Me I went jogging sat and sun. 4.5 someodd miles doing about 1hr 15min. I will get back down to the 55min mark :ze I know i started out at about 330lbs. And when i was doing things right, eating healthy and jogging twice a week and lifting twice a week i was down to 280lbs. that is my goal again.

Starscream
02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Congratulations Andy!!!!!

Me I went jogging sat and sun. 4.5 someodd miles doing about 1hr 15min. I will get back down to the 55min mark :ze I know i started out at about 330lbs. And when i was doing things right, eating healthy and jogging twice a week and lifting twice a week i was down to 280lbs. that is my goal again.
I tried jogging for a while, but I get tired out too easily and always jogging for a short peice, then walking most of the time.

Genetic Defect
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
down 3.5 since my last weigh-in

Starscream
02-03-2009, 07:05 AM
down 3.5 since my last weigh-in
Good news! Keep it up.

AdamC
02-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Didn't take super bowl off for alcohol? :hb
Sounds like you are doing good Andy.

I would like to lose weight, but I don't have the drive for it. If I don't eat a lot I feel like I am going to starve. Even my girl begs me to stop. just can't :(

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Genetic Defect
02-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Good news! Keep it up.

thank you, a good month for both of us, as I lost 8.5 lbs :) wish I could keep that pace

Starscream
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
thank you, a good month for both of us, as I lost 8.5 lbs :) wish I could keep that pace

You're beating my wife, Perry. She's only lost 7lbs total. Any loss is a good gain.

kayaker
02-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I would like to lose weight, but I don't have the drive for it. If I don't eat a lot I feel like I am going to starve.

Try reducing what you eat by just a little bit. Drastic changes in your diet might be too much, but if you decrease in small steps it might be less noticeable.

You can also try increasing your activity level. Find something you like and it will be easier to stick with.

I'm going to be trying out some of the active games on the Wii to see how they will be over time.

I know first hand that the boxing game gets you quite active. Now I just have to see if it will be something to hold my interest for the longer haul.

Genetic Defect
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
You're beating my wife, Perry. She's only lost 7lbs total. Any loss is a good gain.

yes it is, even with crappy weekends in there. :)