PDA

View Full Version : Losing Weight with Starscream

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Chainsaw13
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
You're correct Andy about the movie. It's an interesting watch if only to get you to question the status quo, even if you don't end up believing what he's trying say.

goalie204
06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
what he's saying in that movie is factual, but the big thing is that everyone is different.

I'm on the road in Nunavut, and surprised to have found internet here. I've totally stuck to my gameplan but its been really hard cuz of the lack of food in general, but i brought cans of tuna and stuff and am making the best of what i can. Temptation everywhere, but i will not give in, i want to lose weight too badly now, and having no cravings since quitting carbs/sugar is making it easier (as ive said a thousand times) and keeping my motivated. :)

keep up the good work all!

jonumberone
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
You're correct Andy about the movie. It's an interesting watch if only to get you to question the status quo, even if you don't end up believing what he's trying say.

I watched Fat Head and figured out what I always knew. THings are good in moderation. We are eating more carbs because they are easy. Does this make sense?

That's just it for me, I don't know what to believe.
Should I be eating bacon in moderation or carbs?
I will admit that since I started dieting I do feel weaker and more lethargic, which I wasn't sure was possible.
But I am losing weight!
My walking has all but come to an end.
It started due to the poor weather we had,and now that it's nice I don't have the energy.

goalie204
06-16-2011, 05:39 AM
if you lowered your fat intake, and are still eating carbs, thats why you're feeling tire and lethargic. Increase the fat and protein and get rid of the carbs and you'll feel better! There will be some initial withdrawl, but then you'll feel like a million bux.

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Dom, are you drinking a lot of regular soda? Just wondering if you could be crashing from the sugar/caffeine buzz.

Not to push you towards a lower/low carb lifestyle since it's a decision we need to make ourselves, but I agree with Myles. Since I've adopted a lower carb lifestyle my energy level has increased tremendously. When i say lower carb, I"m talking less than 150g a day, half of what the government says we should be taking in. Just to give you an idea of what I'm eating, here's what I had yesterday.

Breakfast
Dannon No Fat Greek Style Yogurt
Banana

Lunch
Mushroom burger with goat cheese and tomato on a toasted english muffin
100g of carrots
75g of yellow grape tomatoes

Midday snack
orange

Dinner
Eggplant Lasagna. Basically regular lasagna but half the pasta replaced with thin slices of eggplant.

Nighttime snack
100g smoked salmon
28g cashews

Based on the app on my phone, that was ~1600 calories with 139g net carbs, 28g of fiber, 97g of protein and 65g of fat.

jonumberone
06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Dom, are you drinking a lot of regular soda? Just wondering if you could be crashing from the sugar/caffeine buzz.

No Bob, I drink probably 60% water and 40% coffee with half and half and splenda.
Maybe 3 times a week I have a 20oz bottle of diet soda with lunch, but that's it for the day.

I think I like the idea of the low carbs, I just think keeping the calories down will be the challenge for me.
I'm still trying to find a way to track calories that works for me.
The apps and websites seem too tedious for me and I don't care for the interface.
I may just have to buck up, go old school, and get a book.

Starscream
06-16-2011, 07:47 AM
That's just it for me, I don't know what to believe.
Should I be eating bacon in moderation or carbs?
I will admit that since I started dieting I do feel weaker and more lethargic, which I wasn't sure was possible.
But I am losing weight!
My walking has all but come to an end.
It started due to the poor weather we had,and now that it's nice I don't have the energy.
I would keep the bacon in moderation. Eat plenty of meats, proteins and fats, but what the documentary didn't discuss was sodium intake. Sodium isn't good for you. Bacon, sausage, country ham... I would stick with mostly beef (hamburger and steaks) and poultry.
if you lowered your fat intake, and are still eating carbs, thats why you're feeling tire and lethargic. Increase the fat and protein and get rid of the carbs and you'll feel better! There will be some initial withdrawl, but then you'll feel like a million bux.
This. You have to have meat, good old red meat to survive, be healthy, and feel good. It's what the human body has survived off of since day one.

No Bob, I drink probably 60% water and 40% coffee with half and half and splenda.
Maybe 3 times a week I have a 20oz bottle of diet soda with lunch, but that's it for the day.

I think I like the idea of the low carbs, I just think keeping the calories down will be the challenge for me.
I'm still trying to find a way to track calories that works for me.
The apps and websites seem too tedious for me and I don't care for the interface.
I may just have to buck up, go old school, and get a book.

I'm with you on the tracking lately, but that's why I've failed the last three weeks. Tracking sucks and can be tedious, but it has to be done. If you've got the cash to spare, Weight Watchers is only about $20 a month and has the best tracking system I've found.

Nutrimirror is free, but it's even more tedious than Weight Watchers.

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 07:52 AM
I guess that's why people are different. I don't find the tracking tedious at all. If I miss a meal or even a few days like when I'm out of town, I"m ok with that. I'm to the point now though where I can guestimate portion sizes pretty good. And now that I get full sooner, I don't eat everything on the plate when I go out for a meal.

shilala
06-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I ate everything in the world yesterday. The wild fluctuations in the pressure have my muscles totally screwed up. This morning I had snakes crawling under my skin, a phenomenon I haven't had for about a year, controlled by meds. I'm getting almost instant "warm-up effect" which means I climb the steps and all my muscles go rock hard. I have no idea what I did, or if I have anything to do with it at all.
The tie-in is that with the constant working of muscles, it's like I'm doing a 24-7 cardio and I get starved, and I eat to catch up to it.
Today should be quite an adventure. :D

Sean9689
06-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Congrats!!! 290? :su My high point was 260 mid April. 224 this morning. Old guys need to do less calories so have been on a 1000-1500 calorie regimin for the past couple with massive cheating on the weekends. Goal was 225 adjusted to 215 now. Hope to be there before the 4th, cuz it'll be ugly on the 5th or 6th. :)

Put the "fat Dave" clothes away about a month ago. Getting to the point where I may need to buy some "skinny Dave" ones pretty soon.

Congrats to you as well! That's awesome!

Thanks! Yeah, went off the deep end while living out of a hotel in 2010 while working in Chicago and still residing in St. Louis. No physical activity and eating out with no restrictions really took a toll on my weight.

A slim 225 Dave huh? :banger Gotta look good for your 4th of July Extravagana @ The Shack? :tu

I had all my suits and button down shirts tailored a couple of months back, it was amazing how loose they were. I can't lie, feels good to buy "L" instead of "XXL".

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I can't lie, feels good to buy "L" instead of "XXL".

I"m not quite down to "L", but it was great going out this past weekend and buying "XL" shirts and having them fit perfect.

Starscream
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I guess that's why people are different. I don't find the tracking tedious at all. If I miss a meal or even a few days like when I'm out of town, I"m ok with that. I'm to the point now though where I can guestimate portion sizes pretty good. And now that I get full sooner, I don't eat everything on the plate when I go out for a meal.
Be careful with the guesstimating though. Do it too much, and your guesses started to get bigger and bigger (at least that's what I start to do over time)
I"m not quite down to "L", but it was great going out this past weekend and buying "XL" shirts and having them fit perfect.

I can fit into some XL shirts now too. Feels good.:tu

ashtonlady
06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Walked a mile and a quarter today :) Back on the bike tomarrow.

I dont like to watch what I am eating to close either. But my husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple months ago and that helped me to eat more vegitable and less carbs.

forgop
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I've been so out of this whole thing lately-need to get going and stick with this soon. What I really need is an accountability "partner" of sorts to stick with it.

Also had a recommendation for a prescription for phentermine for weight loss.

Starscream
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
I've been so out of this whole thing lately-need to get going and stick with this soon. What I really need is an accountability "partner" of sorts to stick with it.

Also had a recommendation for a prescription for phentermine for weight loss.
Welcome back, Duane. I need an accountability partner too about now.

Haven't done much research on phentermine, but it looks to be about $3 for one pill. :sl Would your insurance cover it?

goalie204
06-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Dom, if you quit the carbs or cut them down significantly, you won't have to count calories and you'll lose fat.

shilala
06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I had a cup of coffee and five or six cookies today. I'm not remotely hungry and Lisa is gonna make me eat dinner later. I'll still be way under for the day. That'll make up for yesterday. :D

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Did 3.25 miles walking in ~45:15. I was hauling today. Thought the program on my phone was screwy saying I did my first mile in 14:00. figured the GPS tracking was off a bit. But then the 2nd and 3rd came in around the same time. Did feel good thought. Got a good hamstring/calf stretch in before I started, which I'm sure helped.

Stuffed myself on dinner though. A stirfry of some leftover ground turkey, onions, carrots, red bell peppers, garlic scapes, bulgur wheat with a bunch of hot seasonings added. Still only about 550 calories.

shilala
06-16-2011, 05:48 PM
That dinner sounds great, Bob. I saw you were digging the mushroom burgers, that's awesome. Next time I see my SIL Cathy, I'll ask if she's got any other good lo-cal vegetarian stuff like that.
Lisa just ran to the store or I'd ask if she had anymore recipes on that order.

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks. I did like the mushroom burgers. I tweaked the recipe to bring the carb count down for me, but they still turned out good. Next time I need to use only one egg, the mix was too loose so I fried them instead of grilling. I'd definitely like any more recipes your wife or SIL will share. I'll never give up meat, but I'm incorporating more vegetarian recipes into my diet.

A friend shared this site with me the other day. http://www.rawmazing.com/ There's some really good looking dishes on there. I don't think I'll buy a dehyrdator and make things via that method, but I should be able to adapt some to a bit of cooking.

jonumberone
06-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Bob, you are just oozing with great info today!! :tu

shilala
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm not very good at making a big deal out of cooking. I just have entirely too much other stuff to do. I need to make time for making good food, someday. :D

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks Dom. I'll start posting more recipes that I'm developing if it'll help give others ideas on things to make. Mostly I try to shoot for a carb count of less than 45g per serving. I tend to make them high in fiber too so they digest slower and fill you up.

Chainsaw13
06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's a recipe for Chicken Pozole Verde. This made 3 servings. The sodium count is a little high, but you can mitigate that by making choosing low sodium versions of the salsa and chicken stock.

8oz chicken breast, cubed into 1" cubes
3oz onions, chopped
1 29oz can of hominy
10oz of tomatillo salsa
2 cloves garlic chopped
24oz chicken stock
3oz can of roasted green chiles
Cilantro chopped, to taste

Brown the chicken in a little bit of oil in a medium pot over med-high heat, about 5-6 minutes. You don't need to cook all the way through, it'll finish once you add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking. About 2-3 minutes into cooking the chicken, add the onions garlic. Stir and continue browning. Once chicken has browned on all sides, add the rest of the ingredients except the cilantro. Bring to a low boil, turn down the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Divide into three portions and garnish with the chopped cilantro (and a bit more raw chopped onion if you like). Maybe squeeze a little fresh lime over the top too. Enjoy.

Based on the info I could find online and off the packages I used, the nutritional info is as follows per serving.

310 cals, 3g fat, 0g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 48mg chol, 1373mg sodium, 44g carbs, 10g fiber, 5g sugar, 19g protein.

Chainsaw13
06-17-2011, 06:11 AM
On the can of hominy, drain and rinse it before adding to the pot. There's a lot of excess salt in the solution it's packed in.

Kreth
06-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Finally headed downward again after 2 straight days of gain. Still debating whether I should do 1-2 days of strength per week to mix things up or continue to focus on the aerobic stuff for now to burn some calories.
Posted via Mobile Device

forgop
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Weight training is always good-focus on lower weight, high reps. That way you're focused on toning and burning calories, not trying to necessarily trying to build muscle. As your overall % of muscle increases, so will your metabolism.

hotreds
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Three pound drop since last Friday. Pretty happy- it's likely not water weight as I've been drinking like a fish. Mostly Crystal Light, have been drinking less carbonated stuff.

Chainsaw13
06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Three pound drop since last Friday. Pretty happy- it's likely not water weight as I've been drinking like a fish. Mostly Crystal Light, have been drinking less carbonated stuff.

Awesome Hugh! Keep up the good work.

shilala
06-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Keep on chugging, Hugh!!! :tu
I've been hopelessly addicted to Aquafina Grape water (http://www.foodmall.org/entry/aquafinas-flavored-water-splash-is-flavored-with-berries/)for a couple years now. I have no idea what's in it, but it truly satiates my appetite. It's freakin delicious, too.
I guess it's really called FlavorSplash. Hundreds of bottles drank and I had no clue. Wow. Anyways, here's a pic. They have lots of flavors, lemonade is excellent as well. I bet you'll love it if you try it, and I promise it'll work against your appetite. Everyone who has tried it has experienced the same phenomenon.

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2006/02/02/fw11.jpg

Here's a pic of other flavors...

http://collegelifestyles.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Aquafina-FlavorSplash.jpg

goalie204
06-17-2011, 10:07 PM
being in nunavut was hard for sticking to the plan, but to the best of my ability i didn't stray. Now in yellowknife for the next few days before i go home, should be easier :)

jonumberone
06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I've only been doing the low carb thing for 2 days, but I do feel like I woke up with some pep in my step.
It may be that I'm excited to be heading out to herf, but whatever the reason, Saturday is usually crash day for me.

I decided to buck up and track my food carefully.
Yesterday I took in 1917 cal 73 carbs & 129 fat.
My question is, in what range should I keep my fat intake?
The app I have says 50-100 but it also says 250-400 carbs.
Just wondering if you guys can help.

Also Bob, what app are you using to track your walking?
Thanks guys! :D

Chainsaw13
06-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I've only been doing the low carb thing for 2 days, but I do feel like I woke up with some pep in my step.
It may be that I'm excited to be heading out to herf, but whatever the reason, Saturday is usually crash day for me.

I decided to buck up and track my food carefully.
Yesterday I took in 1917 cal 73 carbs & 129 fat.
My question is, in what range should I keep my fat intake?
The app I have says 50-100 but it also says 250-400 carbs.
Just wondering if you guys can help.

Also Bob, what app are you using to track your walking?
Thanks guys! :D

That's awesome Dom that you're feeling better.

I try to keep my fat intake below 65g, but that's one of the harder ones to do. I love cheese way too much and the low/non fat versions suck horribly. If you can, try to stick with lower fat versions of your proteins. A big culprit too is lunch meats. They're usually high in fat and sodium, except for turkey. Surprisingly, Jimmie Johns roast beef is pretty low in fat. I get their Unwich (wrapped in lettuce) and it's only like 5g of fat, even with cheese. Also, go light on things like mayo. It's notoriously high in fat. Cutting it in half will still give you the taste but a lot less fat. Same for salad dressings if you're into salads. Most have a lot of oils and eggs in them. What I do is get it on the side and dip my fork in to get a small amount on it before taking a bite. You get the flavor but use no where near as much as if you just pour it on. I tend to use half the amount they give you.

The big thing is how much of that fat is saturated. If that number is still low, less than 25g a day, you should be ok. Oils like olive, canola have a lot of unsaturated fats that are good for you. Same for nuts, especially almonds and cashews. They're high in calories, but have a lot of the good fats. So just watch the portion size. 1oz is what I eat. It doesn't look like a lot but you'd be surprised at how it will fill you up and satiate your appetite.

I use this website a lot for tracking the nutrition of what I'm eating. http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I use Runkeeper to track my walking. It's free and very easy to use and it does a good job. It is only by GPS though. I tried one that used a pedometer too but it wasn't that good. Depending upon what type of phone you have there's plenty of other apps that do the same thing. Cardiotrainer is one a lot of friends of mine with Android phones use.

Chainsaw13
06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Official weigh-in this morning was both good and bad. 229.6 which was up from earlier in the week, but per my scale, my body fat % was at 28.1, down somewhere in the mid 30's. Plus my hydration level was at 51% which is up from ~45%. So all the water intake is having it's effect and keeping me hydrated.

I did get out and put in 4.14 miles this morning. Felt good. My normal walking pace is close to a 14min mile now. The key for me is listening to faster paced songs. Keeps me going.

Weird thing happend to me today in the early afternoon. I was out weeding the garden/yard. When I'd stand up, I almost blacked out. The last time I finally called it quits after I went to my knees. I've had this happen before and it went away. Hopefully it does again, cuz it's a scary feeling. Especially when the world goes dark for a few minutes. I'm guessing it was from the blood rushing out of my head. So I'm taking it easy the rest of the weekend and drinking plenty of fluids. Tomorrow I go clothes shopping again. Need more shorts. I"m going to be in KC this week and they let you wear shorts in the plant. Unfortunately I can't wear any of my cargo shorts for some silly reason.

goalie204
06-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Dom, depends wht plan you're following, atkins % is 65-30-5 fat-protein-carbs, other ones are different you gotta figure it out

jonumberone
06-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the info fellas! :tu

Had my weigh in today.
266.4 a nice start to Fathers Day :D
My goal of 260 on July 4th seems very attainable, and I'm happy about that!

Chainsaw13
06-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Awesome Dom. Sounds very attainable.

I feel like a yo-yo. Back down to 227.6 this morning. I need to stop the daily checks.

hotreds
06-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the info fellas! :tu

Had my weigh in today.
266.4 a nice start to Fathers Day :D
My goal of 260 on July 4th seems very attainable, and I'm happy about that!

:tu

hotreds
06-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Weird thing happend to me today in the early afternoon. I was out weeding the garden/yard. When I'd stand up, I almost blacked out. The last time I finally called it quits after I went to my knees. I've had this happen before and it went away. Hopefully it does again, cuz it's a scary feeling. Especially when the world goes dark for a few minutes. I'm guessing it was from the blood rushing out of my head. So I'm taking it easy the rest of the weekend and drinking plenty of fluids.

low blood sugar most likely.

jonumberone
06-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Awesome Dom. Sounds very attainable.

I feel like a yo-yo. Back down to 227.6 this morning. I need to stop the daily checks.

I stopped doing daily checks too, If I gained a pound, I would get angry, and if I lost a pound I would get lax.
I usually check once midweek and then my official on Sunday.
Although -2 pounds overnight would probably give me a chubby :D

Chainsaw13
06-19-2011, 07:00 AM

I thought that too, but took my BS reading and it was 117. I had eaten lunch a bit before so that's about right with the way my BS has been running pre/post meals.

guado
06-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I thought i'd join in this thread. 3 weeks and 4 days ago I started my weightloss journey. I started out at 241lbs. 6'0 tall.

Today I am hovering at 218. Major diet changes, and lots of exercise. I hope to get to 215 before I start lifting weights again vs just cardio. It'll be nice to hit my high school weight 11 years after I graduated. LOL

jonumberone
06-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Welcome Eddie.

Hoping to wear a speedo to EPIC? :D

That's a hell of a loss for 3+ weeks.

guado
06-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Welcome Eddie.

Hoping to wear a speedo to EPIC? :D

That's a hell of a loss for 3+ weeks.

I pretty much did a hell week(s). :banger

And I started right before memorial day weekend. I have had no beer or alcohol since then....That is the roughest part! LOL

Its tapering now. I am only gonna be loosing about maybe 2/lbs a week now. However once I start lifting...I will be putting on weight but hopefully in the form of muscle and a lower body fat %

shilala
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
202.8 this morning. I had hoped to get under 200 by the weekend. It still may happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chainsaw13
06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Awesome job Eddie. I'm hoping to start lifting once I get back in town next weekend. Too many "jiggly" parts.

You can do it Scott. I think with all the work putting that new deck, it'll help shed a couple lbs.

hotreds
06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I thought that too, but took my BS reading and it was 117. I had eaten lunch a bit before so that's about right with the way my BS has been running pre/post meals.

Hmm- maybe like you said it was the quick movement! Something to keep an eye on, brother!

Chainsaw13
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Hmm- maybe like you said it was the quick movement! Something to keep an eye on, brother!

Yea, much better today. I think it was just all the physical excersion yesterday combined with being bent over picking weeds. When I'd stand up all the blood would rush from my head.

ashtonlady
06-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Got the 2 lbs back off and still riding or walking every day. Working on changing the eating habits. So I am on the right track.

forgop
06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Weird thing happend to me today in the early afternoon. I was out weeding the garden/yard. When I'd stand up, I almost blacked out. The last time I finally called it quits after I went to my knees. I've had this happen before and it went away. Hopefully it does again, cuz it's a scary feeling. Especially when the world goes dark for a few minutes. I'm guessing it was from the blood rushing out of my head.

This is called orthostatic hypotension. It gets more common as you get older (not saying you're old) and is a typical side effect of some medications, but it's just something you need to be leery of when standing up so you don't drop. My advice-stand up slowly and maybe have something to prop yourself up against momentarily while your blood pressure stabilizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

forgop
06-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Nope. See above

Chainsaw13
06-19-2011, 05:57 PM
This is called orthostatic hypotension. It gets more common as you get older (not saying you're old) and is a typical side effect of some medications, but it's just something you need to be leery of when standing up so you don't drop. My advice-stand up slowly and maybe have something to prop yourself up against momentarily while your blood pressure stabilizes.

Thanks. I had a couple friends on FB who said the same thing. You guys are so smart. :D

forgop
06-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm in a bind-trying to figure out what plan I want to do as my wife wants me to do weight watchers, but my gut tells me I should do the Atkins plan. After all, I love using my smoker as I could eat pulled pork and ribs all day long for lunch and dinner and deal with bacon and eggs for breakfast daily. My wife just hates it because it is that much harder to deal with different food plans if I do it.

I think I've decided I'll check with the nurse practitioner this week and see if she'll prescribe the phentermine for me and add that into whatever plan I have. One of the problems is just resisting the urge to eat as it's quite stressful going through school again. It will be primarily used as an appetite suppressant which is half of the battle.

forgop
06-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I had a couple friends on FB who said the same thing. You guys are so smart. :D

I might just be learning a thing or two in nursing school after 5 months of school after all. :D

Starscream
06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Here's a recipe for Chicken Pozole Verde. This made 3 servings. The sodium count is a little high, but you can mitigate that by making choosing low sodium versions of the salsa and chicken stock.

8oz chicken breast, cubed into 1" cubes
3oz onions, chopped
1 29oz can of hominy
10oz of tomatillo salsa
2 cloves garlic chopped
24oz chicken stock
3oz can of roasted green chiles
Cilantro chopped, to taste

Brown the chicken in a little bit of oil in a medium pot over med-high heat, about 5-6 minutes. You don't need to cook all the way through, it'll finish once you add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking. About 2-3 minutes into cooking the chicken, add the onions garlic. Stir and continue browning. Once chicken has browned on all sides, add the rest of the ingredients except the cilantro. Bring to a low boil, turn down the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Divide into three portions and garnish with the chopped cilantro (and a bit more raw chopped onion if you like). Maybe squeeze a little fresh lime over the top too. Enjoy.

Based on the info I could find online and off the packages I used, the nutritional info is as follows per serving.

310 cals, 3g fat, 0g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 48mg chol, 1373mg sodium, 44g carbs, 10g fiber, 5g sugar, 19g protein.

Keep on posting recipes! I love it! Wow! Great to see all the participation in here. Welcome to the new guys and keep up the good work all!

goalie204
06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
saw this extreme makeover weight loss show last night or something, a dude lost 200 lbs in a year, killing himself working out like a mofo. Ridiculous to lose so much so fast, 5 bux he gains it all back

Kreth
06-20-2011, 05:28 AM
saw this extreme makeover weight loss show last night or something, a dude lost 200 lbs in a year, killing himself working out like a mofo. Ridiculous to lose so much so fast, 5 bux he gains it all back
Not to mention he probably looks like a Sharpei... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM

You ever watch "Heavy" on A&E? They go to rehab and lose all this weight, but when they get back home, most start to gain it back.

shilala
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow morning, I should be at a new low. :tu

goalie204
06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
ya i've seen that show scott, after about 4 episodes (to give it a real chance) i'll never watch it again

Kreth
06-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Trending down again for the last couple of days. Since I'm on a 7 day on / 1 day off schedule at work, I think I'm gonna start doing an hour of mixed strength/yoga on my day off.
Posted via Mobile Device

goalie204
06-21-2011, 07:49 AM
was reading that stretching is super good for you, and walking too, which is the only exercise that can improve your bone health (stretching does too) and bones are important! So i'm giong to start stretching every day the big muscles in the body and walking too sooN!

Starscream
06-21-2011, 08:09 AM
ya i've seen that show scott, after about 4 episodes (to give it a real chance) i'll never watch it again
That's about all I've watched of it too.
Trending down again for the last couple of days. Since I'm on a 7 day on / 1 day off schedule at work, I think I'm gonna start doing an hour of mixed strength/yoga on my day off.
Posted via Mobile Device

How's the yoga? Something I've always wanted to try, just never have (other than on Wii Fit).

Commander Quan
06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Yoga is a deceptively hard workout. The first couple times I tried it (dvd's) I quit after 20 minutes because it was was slow and kinda boring, and I didn't feel like I was working out, despite the fact that I was sweating like a mofo. Later I decided to be a little more open minded about it and give it a fair shake and found that in 45 minutes I was soaking wet, and a lot looser, and really refreshed.

Kreth
06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
How's the yoga? Something I've always wanted to try, just never have (other than on Wii Fit).
That's all I've done. I do a WFP warm-up that includes warrior pose (good hip stretch) and downward-facing dog (back). For cool down, I usually include sun salutation (another good back stretch). I usually have a sore back from work, and the two back stretches (and Ibuprofen) have really helped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Yoga is a deceptively hard workout. The first couple times I tried it (dvd's) I quit after 20 minutes because it was was slow and kinda boring, and I didn't feel like I was working out, despite the fact that I was sweating like a mofo. Later I decided to be a little more open minded about it and give it a fair shake and found that in 45 minutes I was soaking wet, and a lot looser, and really refreshed.

That's all I've done. I do a WFP warm-up that includes warrior pose (good hip stretch) and downward-facing dog (back). For cool down, I usually include sun salutation (another good back stretch). I usually have a sore back from work, and the two back stretches (and Ibuprofen) have really helped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the info, Derrick and Jeff.:tu

forgop
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
I tried the yoga on P90X. It sucked. You have to be in pretty decent shape with good mobility to begin with. If you're fighting a spare tire of sorts at all around the trunk, it's a waste of time IMO.

Think I might give Insanity a try...

jonumberone
06-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Morning Fellas :D

So I'm about a week into my lower carb lifestyle.
I have some issues/ questions/ observations I could use some help with.

1) My energy level is way up. So much so that I can't sleep at night.
since I work so many hours, sleep is at a real premium for me.
I used to jump out of bed in the AM and crash at night, now its opposite.
I can't sleep and find it harder to get going, but once I do, I feel better throughout the day than before.

2) I am having a hard time eating enough of calories.
So far I haven't made it to 2000 in a day. closest I came was day 1 (1948)
But usually am around the 1600 - 1700 mark. My low was 1444
The App I have says my goal intake should be 2150 - 2500
I'm trying to lay off fatty foods, but now I'm worried about my metabolism shutting down.
Suggestions?

3) I noticed that the fat on my body has gotten soft and mushy.
Before my belly was taught from my tits to my belly button, as were my love handles.
Now I'm just mush.
Any Ideas? Should this physical change be something to worry about?

Thanks in advance! :tu

Kreth
06-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Before my belly was taught from my tits to my belly button, as were my love handles.
Now I'm just mush.
I have the same thing going on. I think it's just a matter of burning off fat quicker than your skin can adjust... :2
Posted via Mobile Device

goalie204
06-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Morning Fellas :D

1) My energy level is way up. So much so that I can't sleep at night.
since I work so many hours, sleep is at a real premium for me.
I used to jump out of bed in the AM and crash at night, now its opposite.
I can't sleep and find it harder to get going, but once I do, I feel better throughout the day than before.

happened to me too for the first week or so, it will pass, try not eating 3-4 hours before bed if you aren't doing that already

2) I am having a hard time eating enough of calories.
So far I haven't made it to 2000 in a day. closest I came was day 1 (1948)
But usually am around the 1600 - 1700 mark. My low was 1444
The App I have says my goal intake should be 2150 - 2500
I'm trying to lay off fatty foods, but now I'm worried about my metabolism shutting down.
Suggestions?

nevermind your app, as long as you eat until you're not hungry anymore, that is good - your body knows. However you dont have to lay off fatty foods, chicken with the crispy skin, bacon, this stuff is all good on a low carb lifestyle :)

Now I'm just mush.

Thanks in advance! :tu
You're probably losing fat, and the "mushy" is skin :) Nothing to worry about at all, losing weight fast doesn't give your body time to "tone" as it loses weight ;)

hope this helps

Chainsaw13
06-22-2011, 06:40 AM
I agree with Jeff and Myles about the skin/fat issue. That's happening to me. Now after a few months things are evening out.

Kreth
06-22-2011, 07:02 AM
So pre-workout, I was at 262.8. That's a little over 10 lbs lost in 2 weeks. Other than sticking to my workouts, all I've really done is scale back my portions. I still have the occasional soda or bag of chips. I think next I'll try cutting down a little on carbs and see what happens...
Posted via Mobile Device

Chainsaw13
06-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Nice job jeff. Keep it up. Same to you Dom. Hopefully the sleeping situation fixes itself.

I'm still getting in walks while Im out of town this week, but I have a feeling I'll gain a lb or two. Been eating BBQ for dinner the last couple of nights. Kinda hard not to when you're in KC.

jonumberone
06-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks fellas :)

What I meant by laying off fatty foods, is I'm trying not to cover everything with cheese or Bacon :D

Bob, I did a BBQ vacation a few years back, and the best BBQ I found was at a place IN KC called Fiorella's Jack stack BBQ.
It is not your Typical Dive BBQ Joint, It is rather well appointed wit a beautiful bar, and a nice atmosphere.
The one I went to was located near the Crown center.

Chainsaw13
06-22-2011, 08:57 AM
I've been to Jack Stack and liked it, although not a fan of their sauces. My favorite is Oklahoma Joes. We had an hour wait in line last night and it kept up that way until they closed the doors at 8:30pm.

goalie204
06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks fellas :)

What I meant by laying off fatty foods, is I'm trying not to cover everything with cheese or Bacon :D

Well Sheeet, why not? LOLOL!

About the sleep, your body will adjust, it's just fighting to not change, and you might want to take some melatonin to help about an hour before bed until your body adjusts to your new habits

As for me, still just frustrated that im not losing faster, i swear i did 1 lb a day at least before, now sometimes its not even 1 a week

Starscream
06-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I have the same thing going on. I think it's just a matter of burning off fat quicker than your skin can adjust... :2
Posted via Mobile Device

The downside is your skin is only going to adjust so much. That's why a lot of skinny guys who used to be fat don't go out shirtless.:r The skin/fat pouch still hangs on for most people.

goalie204
06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
a lot of ppl that lose it, once they prove to themselves they can keep it off get skin removal surgery

Da Klugs
06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Congrats to you as well! That's awesome!

Thanks! Yeah, went off the deep end while living out of a hotel in 2010 while working in Chicago and still residing in St. Louis. No physical activity and eating out with no restrictions really took a toll on my weight.

A slim 225 Dave huh? :banger Gotta look good for your 4th of July Extravagana @ The Shack? :tu

I had all my suits and button down shirts tailored a couple of months back, it was amazing how loose they were. I can't lie, feels good to buy "L" instead of "XXL".

I'm going to buy some "38's" on Friday. Might want to check and see if XL vs XXL shirts are in my future. That could get ugly, have probably 200+ fancy golf shirts all XXL. At least they don't fall off like the 40 pants are now. :) 221 this morning. :) Hope to break 200 before the weekend.

Kreth
06-22-2011, 06:33 PM
The downside is your skin is only going to adjust so much. That's why a lot of skinny guys who used to be fat don't go out shirtless.:r The skin/fat pouch still hangs on for most people.
Hopefully I don't end up looking like Adam Sandler in Click... :r
My goal is to get down to 210 (from 273) so I don't think that's too extreme.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
a lot of ppl that lose it, once they prove to themselves they can keep it off get skin removal surgery
Yep. That's not for me though.
I'm going to buy some "38's" on Friday. Might want to check and see if XL vs XXL shirts are in my future. That could get ugly, have probably 200+ fancy golf shirts all XXL. At least they don't fall off like the 40 pants are now. :) 221 this morning. :) Hope to break 200 before the weekend.

21 pounds by the weekend, Dave? :r Good luck with that.:ze

Starscream
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
1300 calories so far today, give or take.

29 carbs so far. Too many or ok? Tomato sauce and diced tomatoes were a lot higher than I expected.

Of total intake today so far:
42% protein
49% fat
9% carbs

Edited. Found a double entry in my log.

Chainsaw13
06-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Anything under 50g a day will be good for weight loss. Plus your eating carbs from non grain sources which are usually better.

Nice job on the pants Klugs. I had to buy 40's this past weekend as my 42's were too loose. Also XL shirts. I think u should be there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

goalie204
06-22-2011, 07:51 PM
unfortunately Bob, it's not that black and white.

The main thing is that EVERYONE is DIFFERENT. What works for some may not work for others. Myself, from yo-yo'ing up and down for so many years, i have EXTREmELY high insulin resistance, and i have to eat very very very little carbs to lose weight, other people like the guy in that Fat Head movie was eating a lot more, and losing weight, and i must stress that everyone is different. Just like if we both ate the same meal, our bodies would handle it differently, so everyone has to find out what works best for them, but as a guide line, atkins induction is 20 carbs a day or less, 15 from veg, 5 from misc, and you add more as you continue, until it stalls your weight loss. blah blah my hands hurt from typing and im pissed off (nothing to do with this tho)

Starscream
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
blah blah my hands hurt from typing and im pissed off (nothing to do with this tho)

Hope you get things back to normal soon, Myles.:tu

Thanks for the info too.:tu

goalie204
06-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Things are relatively normal, but my moron cleaning woman accidently locked the cat in the bedroom. I came home to a bed that had been pissed and shat on. I think the comforter absorbed a lot of the piss, but after blotting the matress, and putting vinegar/baking soda, i freaking hope it gets out all the smell, but im still mad

shilala
06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I never checked my weight today, but it looks like you guys are doing great. Dave is gonna pass me up by the weekend, I guess that's a throwdown.
I've been working my ass off, at least 14 hours a day on this deck, and eating very little, so I should have disappeared by now. My poop medicine just kicked in aftertaking it for 7 days in a row. I only have a little left, I'll have to get the 55 gallon drum the next time I pick it up (read:Lisa will need to get it for me tomorrow).
I'm excited to see if I crack the 200 barrier tomorrow. If I do, it'll still be about 4 days late, so there's no victory in it. I'll just keep plodding on to 185. :tu

Chainsaw13
06-22-2011, 09:30 PM
That's true Myles. Everyone is different. My insulin resistance wasn't that bad so I've been able to lose keeping my daily intake around 100-125g a day. Plus I space it out about 30-40 each meal to keep my BS in check.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kreth
06-23-2011, 04:57 AM
So, on my night off, I usually stay up most of the night so my sleep doesn't get out of whack. Since I was already up, I decided to fire up the Wii and take a crack at my first hour-long strength/yoga workout.
My first bit of good news, I managed not to gain on my day off, despite eating a bit of Ben & Jerry's! Of course, I had much less than my usual pint...
As for the workout, I had WFP pick a random mix of strength and yoga. A few exercises I struggled with: tree pose, jacknife, and my 3rd set of push-up/side plank. Great workout, though. I was sweating just as much as my usual aerobics. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

goalie204
06-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Good stuff Bob! :)

I finally dropped another 2lbs from what ive been stuck at lately, down 21 lbs so far since April 27th, my goal for my birthday was 30 lbs, a little unrealistic now that i think about it, and since its tmrw its not going to happen lOL

However, to celebrate the loss, breakfast was pork chop and eggs!

http://i.imgur.com/emNhG.jpg

Chainsaw13
06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Bfast looks good Myles.

Jeff, I may have to look into getting a Wii and the fitness program. Maybe use it as a supplement to my other exercise programs. I can see that being really good in the winter when it's too nasty outside to go for a walk.

guado
06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
maintaining at 216lbs so far. Did crossfit yesterday with some friends. This morning...I am quite sore! LOL

guado
06-23-2011, 07:06 AM

I just read this. This has happened to me since I was in High School. My BP usually runs 106/64 ish...but can be lower. Seems like everytime I get up fast I have to hold something and just wait a few seconds then move on...it SUX!

Kreth
06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Jeff, I may have to look into getting a Wii and the fitness program. Maybe use it as a supplement to my other exercise programs. I can see that being really good in the winter when it's too nasty outside to go for a walk.
I figured it would be a good start as most of the aerobic stuff is low-impact. I dunno at this weight how my knees and ankles would hold up if I started running.
The Super Hula-Hoop alone is a great spare tire killer. I'm already seeing a difference in how my pants fit.
If you check amazon.com, they run sales on the WFP bundle fairly often.
Posted via Mobile Device

goalie204
06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
for those of you considering getting into weights that aren't already (and the reason i mention this, is its something im considering) - they say for whatever muscle you add to your body, your body needs to burn more calories to "feed" the muscle, therefore, putting on muscle will supposedly help increase calorie burning, and help one lose weight. Some great exercises without weights to work big muscles in the body are pushups, crunches and squats, im going to start doing these again, and maybe buy some dumb bells too! Combined with walking and my new lifestyle eating, i should be able to lose 5000 lbs a day! :D

Starscream
06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
So, on my night off, I usually stay up most of the night so my sleep doesn't get out of whack. Since I was already up, I decided to fire up the Wii and take a crack at my first hour-long strength/yoga workout.
My first bit of good news, I managed not to gain on my day off, despite eating a bit of Ben & Jerry's! Of course, I had much less than my usual pint...
As for the workout, I had WFP pick a random mix of strength and yoga. A few exercises I struggled with: tree pose, jacknife, and my 3rd set of push-up/side plank. Great workout, though. I was sweating just as much as my usual aerobics. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe it's just me, but I love doing side planks.
Bfast looks good Myles.

Breakfast does look good. Sausage omelet here.

If you do get a Wii, check out NFL Training Camp. I love it! Comes with it's own heart rate monitor, links up to the EA Sports Active site where you can check your goals, times, heartrate max and average, and countless other things. You can pick it up for about $30. Very cheap for a video game package like that.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Ok, I tried out the yoga on Wii Fit Plus. Did all 18 that I have opened for 36 minutes. Worked up a sweat but if just felt to darn easy. Tried a yoga vid on Netflix and gave up after 10 min.:r

Wound up doing an hour total on Wii Fit today. Not bad. Worked up a good sweat and my meals over the past few days have been on track too. Now that I'm out for the summer, I think I'll be able to get in a lot more exercise.:tu

Kreth
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I love doing side planks.
It was the push-ups that were killing me. Having to keep your hands on the board was very cramped for me. Plus I was sweating like crazy, so I kept thinking my hands were going to slip.
Ok, I tried out the yoga on Wii Fit Plus. Did all 18 that I have opened for 36 minutes. Worked up a sweat but if just felt to darn easy. Tried a yoga vid on Netflix and gave up after 10 min.:r
I like the yoga for stretching, especially back stretches like sun salutation and downward-facing dog. I try to focus on posture and maintaining my COB.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
It was the push-ups that were killing me. Having to keep your hands on the board was very cramped for me. Plus I was sweating like crazy, so I kept thinking my hands were going to slip.

I like the yoga for stretching, especially back stretches like sun salutation and downward-facing dog. I try to focus on posture and maintaining my COB.

I can stay in the circle, but it's hard to stay in the exact center for most of the yoga exercises.:r

jonumberone
06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
I told my wife I want to do the downward facing dog.
She said that she has a headache. :D

Starscream
06-23-2011, 04:23 PM
:r

Kreth
06-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I can stay in the circle, but it's hard to stay in the exact center for most of the yoga exercises.:r
I hear that, especially stuff like Tree.
Posted via Mobile Device

forgop
06-23-2011, 06:26 PM

:r:r:r

forgop
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Ok gents, I think I'm down for starting up Atkins tomorrow. I already have 9 racks of baby backs sitting out of the freezer to fire up in the smoker tomorrow. :tu Don't even want to step on the scale tomorrow, but I guess I'll just hafta do it.

Talking with my nurse practitioner at school about the binge eating of sorts over the years and one thing she suggested doing was a food journal (which we've all done), but also including emotion/state of mind into it. It will help you identify patterns of what types of foods you are using for coping/soothing of sorts rather than eating what you need to get by.

Something else she mentioned was that a McD's happy meal today was the equivalent of the adult servings something like 50 years ago. Look forward to today where a big mac combo with large fries/drink sets you back 1350 calories compared to the happy meal at 640 calories.

goalie204
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
no sauce on the ribs cuz bbq sauce has tonnes of sugar if you're starting atkins :P

forgop
06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
no sauce on the ribs cuz bbq sauce has tonnes of sugar if you're starting atkins :P

I know-you also have to watch the rubs because a lot of them will use sugar as well. Although sauce makes it even more da bomb, I'm content eating smoked ribs/pulled pork without any sauce. :tu

This probably won't be my long term plan though-probably will switch to weight watchers after I get through a huge supply of pork that's in the freezer now to make more room for fish/chicken.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I know-you also have to watch the rubs because a lot of them will use sugar as well. Although sauce makes it even more da bomb, I'm content eating smoked ribs/pulled pork without any sauce. :tu

This probably won't be my long term plan though-probably will switch to weight watchers after I get through a huge supply of pork that's in the freezer now to make more room for fish/chicken.

You could always do both. Just be ready for the new points plus system which is ok, but I'm still not liking it as much as the old way.

forgop
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
You could always do both. Just be ready for the new points plus system which is ok, but I'm still not liking it as much as the old way.

I did WW back in 2002 and really liked their point system then. Today, not so much. They have to change it all of the time though-it's marketing to help them gain more members.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I did WW back in 2002 and really liked their point system then. Today, not so much. They have to change it all of the time though-it's marketing to help them gain more members.

I thought this was the first change they made (other than fiber) to the system in forever.

They took calories out of the points equation all together, and most fruit and green veggies are all zero points no matter how much you eat.

forgop
06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
I thought this was the first change they made (other than fiber) to the system in forever.

They took calories out of the points equation all together, and most fruit and green veggies are all zero points no matter how much you eat.

I think it's a major flaw though-look at how many carbs/calories you could eat in your diet though. It's obviously healthier food as a whole, but it still goes back to the whole calories in must be lower than calories out to lose weight.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 07:32 PM
I think it's a major flaw though-look at how many carbs/calories you could eat in your diet though. It's obviously healthier food as a whole, but it still goes back to the whole calories in must be lower than calories out to lose weight.

Yep. I could eat 70 apples in one day (probably not possible) and still be at zero points. I'm still using my WW online tracker, but I'm also keeping track of carb, fat, and protein over at nutrimirror.

forgop
06-23-2011, 07:36 PM
If anyone knows about Atkins, do I have to count zero carb diet drinks into a carb count? Just asking cuz 1 packet of splenda is considered 1 g of carbs, but I'm not really finding anything on counting artificial sweeteners in diet drinks. I'm probably going to cut out the coffee entirely and rely on stuff like Coke Zero for my caffeine as I have to have it (especially as a nursing student). :D

Starscream
06-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I haven't counted any artificial sweetners. I take about 9 a day with all the coffee I drink. Should I be counting these?

forgop
06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
This is why I'm a little curious...from the Atkins site below. Am I to conclude a diet drink like Diet Rite that contains splenda would count towards my carb count and aspartame sweetened drinks wouldn't?

Artificial Sweeteners

* Splenda – one packet equals 1 gram of net carbs

Beverages

* Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
* Club soda
* Cream, heavy or light.
* Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
* Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
* Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
* Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
* Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
o Filtered water
o Mineral water
o Spring water
o Tap water

ashtonlady
06-23-2011, 07:56 PM
I haven't counted any artificial sweetners. I take about 9 a day with all the coffee I drink. Should I be counting these?

My husband has be be careful of what artificial sweeteners he uses. It raises his blood sugar. So I am sure there is something to it.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
My husband has be be careful of what artificial sweeteners he uses. It raises his blood sugar. So I am sure there is something to it.

I use Sweet n Low or generic pink packets normally, Laura. Splenda on occasion. Either of those raise blood sugar? Splenda is made with some sort of sugar, isn't it?

I'll have to check into it, or maybe Myles can ring in with an answer.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
This is why I'm a little curious...from the Atkins site below. Am I to conclude a diet drink like Diet Rite that contains splenda would count towards my carb count and aspartame sweetened drinks wouldn't?

Artificial Sweeteners

* Splenda – one packet equals 1 gram of net carbs

Beverages

* Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
* Club soda
* Cream, heavy or light.
* Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
* Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
* Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
* Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
* Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
o Filtered water
o Mineral water
o Spring water
o Tap water
One has carbs, the other has cancer.:r

goalie204
06-24-2011, 05:26 AM

nope

forgop
06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
nope

What does that mean?

hotreds
06-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Down 4 lbs today! Long way to go, but I'm at least headed in the right direction!

Commander Quan
06-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Weighed in at 230.2 this morning. I weighed myself again after a cup of coffee and a dump and was at 230.0 The weight has been coming off at about 1.5-2 pounds a week which is exactly what is supposed to happen, I just want so see that thing read in the 220s

jonumberone
06-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Very nice Hugh and Derrick :tu

Chainsaw13
06-24-2011, 08:28 AM
What does that mean?

I believe he means there's been a number of studies that prove the burning of more calories than you take in won't necessarily result in weight loss.

Chainsaw13
06-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Very nice Hugh and Derrick :tu

:tpd:

Commander Quan
06-24-2011, 09:02 AM
nope

What does that mean?

A low carb/high fat weight loss program is more about controlling insulin levels than is is about the old calorie in/calorie out thought. Do a quick search about insulin levels and weight loss.

Starscream
06-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Congrats Hugh and Derrick!:wo

As far as the discussion Duane and I were having, it was in relation to flaws with the new WW and their new Points Plus foods. Yes, calories in, calories out is flawed depending on what you eat, but you can't eat 60,000 calories and expect to lose weight. That is what we were talking about with the zero points foods, such as apples. You can't expect to eat 70 apples a day and expect to lose weight, even if your points total for the day would be zero. I think everyone is taking it out of context here.

hotreds
06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Bottom line is: less calories than calories burned by body daily = weight loss. There is no getting around this fact. Witness the guy that lost weight eating nothing but Twinkies. A healthy diet and a weight loss diet aren't necessarily the same thing. To lose weight "all" you need to do is get into a caloric deficit state. It's as simple and hard as that. Eating lotsa fruit might be somewhat healthy, but alas fruit does have calories so see point one. There is actually a very good book that explains all this: The Anderson Method - The Secret to Permanent Weight Loss http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935097288. I needed the idiot proof Medifast Method as my crutch. I've been trying on my own for decades w/o real success, hopefully I have finally found it.

Starscream
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Bottom line is: less calories than calories burned by body daily = weight loss. There is no getting around this fact. Witness the guy that lost weight eating nothing but Twinkies. A healthy diet and a weight loss diet aren't necessarily the same thing. To lose weight "all" you need to do is get into a caloric deficit state. It's as simple and hard as that. Eating lotsa fruit might be somewhat healthy, but alas fruit does have calories so see point one. There is actually a very good book that explains all this: The Anderson Method - The Secret to Permanent Weight Loss http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935097288. I needed the idiot proof Medifast Method as my crutch. I've been trying on my own for decades w/o real success, hopefully I have finally found it.

That theory can be flawed depending on what you eat and how each individual body responds to it, but for the most part, yes it is correct.:tu

I also agree that every one is different. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Our bodies are all different, and we all have different lifestyles. There's no one method that works for everyone. That's why our society has millions of different diets and lifestyle change programs. It's all about finding out which one works best for you and sticking with it.

Starscream
06-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Anyone heard from Kirk lately?

goalie204
06-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Sorry, this is not a scientific fact, and like andy said, everyone is different.

have a read of these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Gary-Taubes/dp/1400040787

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Calorie-restricted diets work because they inadvertently cut carbohydrates. But they also starve you and your body compensates by making you hungry. You'll stay hungry for years until your body gets what it wants- the calories to replace what it lost. Just like everything else in your body fat growth is regulated by growth hormones, not calories. The growth hormone that regulates fat is called insulin (maybe you've heard of it :P), and it's production is triggered by eating carbohydrates, not fat. You can eat as much fat as you like and so long as your insulin levels are low you won't gain weight because your body has no signal to. That's why a lion can eat half an antelope and not get fat but a house cat on kibble seems to gain weight no matter what you do. Kibble has carbs. An antelope doesn't. To think otherwise would be like asking why you don't get taller when you eat more. The answer to that is obvious and the answer to horizontal weight gain is exactly the same. Weirdly, no one likes to put 2-and-2 together on that one. I guess it's just easier tot think that you get fat by being lazy and eating too much, not due to some complicated hormonal dance. To make matters worse being lazy and eating too much really does make you gain weight, but it's just not for the reason people think it does.

^ Copy/pasted from an article i was reading, but says what i would have typed pretty much, in different words

Starscream
06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Happy Birthday Myles!

Any thoughts on carbs and artificial sweetners? We were hoping you could weigh in on this matter.

goalie204
06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
TY Andy :)

I eat them, they dont have carbs, but i just dont go crazy on them, maybe a diet soda once a week, or some sugar free jello here and there, but i dont eat that much of it.

Here, again copy/pasted:

For some folks artificial sweeteners and regular sugar can trigger something called the "cephalic phase insulin response". Basically, the sweet taste alone will cause you to release insulin. The insulin will grab any bit of sugar you might have floating around in your blood. When you blood sugar dips below a certain point, it triggers your brain to feel hunger or cravings.

This is results in a vicious cycle: the more you eat or drink of the artificial sweetener the more insulin you'll release so the hungrier you'll feel and the more you'll want/need to eat. That's why some people can't stop drinking can after can of diet soda: satisfying their sweet tooth only makes them want more. This can happen with any artificial sweetener.

http://bestlowcarbs.com/article1082.html
http://www.extique.com/askrob5-3.htm

This is why the ADBB moderators and old-timers strongly advise everyone to kill that sweet tooth during Induction. Starve that sweet tooth and you'll be in control of the food, rather than the food be in control of you.

Starscream
06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't really mess with diet drinks. My artificial sweetner source is limited to coffee every day. I average three cups in the morning (about six packets of sweetner), and maybe some in the afternoon (once in a while).

Starscream
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry, this is not a scientific fact, and like andy said, everyone is different.

have a read of these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Gary-Taubes/dp/1400040787

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Calorie-restricted diets work because they inadvertently cut carbohydrates. But they also starve you and your body compensates by making you hungry. You'll stay hungry for years until your body gets what it wants- the calories to replace what it lost. Just like everything else in your body fat growth is regulated by growth hormones, not calories. The growth hormone that regulates fat is called insulin (maybe you've heard of it :P), and it's production is triggered by eating carbohydrates, not fat. You can eat as much fat as you like and so long as your insulin levels are low you won't gain weight because your body has no signal to. That's why a lion can eat half an antelope and not get fat but a house cat on kibble seems to gain weight no matter what you do. Kibble has carbs. An antelope doesn't. To think otherwise would be like asking why you don't get taller when you eat more. The answer to that is obvious and the answer to horizontal weight gain is exactly the same. Weirdly, no one likes to put 2-and-2 together on that one. I guess it's just easier tot think that you get fat by being lazy and eating too much, not due to some complicated hormonal dance. To make matters worse being lazy and eating too much really does make you gain weight, but it's just not for the reason people think it does.

^ Copy/pasted from an article i was reading, but says what i would have typed pretty much, in different words

Not necessarily. I've never starved myself before on calorie restricted diets. It's all about how you use those calories. As a matter of fact, I'm still using WW, which is a calorie restricted plan, and I have started cutting carbs over the last day or so. I've been stuffed to the gills for two days and I've yet to eat above 1500 calories. I haven't even gotten halfway to my daily allowance and I've been stuffed.

Sounds good in theory, but a lion doesn't eat half an antelope every day. That antelope will fuel the lion for quite a while. I agree that the cat eating high carb meals everyday then sitting around doing nothing makes it fat.

I agree with the rest of your post.:tu
Calories in/calories out works if you do it right. For many people, not everyone.:tu

forgop
06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
A low carb/high fat weight loss program is more about controlling insulin levels than is is about the old calorie in/calorie out thought. Do a quick search about insulin levels and weight loss.

I wasn't referring to Atkins in terms of calories in < calories out for weight loss. I was simply referring to a diet such as Weight Watchers.

Starscream
06-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Congrats Hugh and Derrick!:wo

As far as the discussion Duane and I were having, it was in relation to flaws with the new WW and their new Points Plus foods. Yes, calories in, calories out is flawed depending on what you eat, but you can't eat 60,000 calories and expect to lose weight. That is what we were talking about with the zero points foods, such as apples. You can't expect to eat 70 apples a day and expect to lose weight, even if your points total for the day would be zero. I think everyone is taking it out of context here.

I wasn't referring to Atkins in terms of calories in < calories out for weight loss. I was simply referring to a diet such as Weight Watchers.

Got ya covered, Duane.;) It's all good. No harm no foul.
How's it going today, brother?

I just finished an hour on the Wii Fit. Running, Strength training, Yoga, Hula Hoop.

Kreth
06-24-2011, 04:58 PM
I just finished an hour on the Wii Fit. Running, Strength training, Yoga, Hula Hoop.
After my warm-up, I like to start with advanced step. Then I mix it up between running, biking, super hula hoop, and rhythm boxing. Sometimes I throw in obstacle course, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

forgop
06-24-2011, 08:01 PM
I ended up delaying my start date until tomorrow. My wife insisted I take her to a very delicious chinese buffet that has sushi and lots of other goodies, so I went there kicking and screaming along the way. ;)

I have 9 racks of baby back ribs prepped to go on the smoker tomorrow and will try to limit myself to maybe 1/3 rack of ribs for a meal and then find a leaner option like fish/chicken for another meal to keep the calories from getting outrageous.

goalie204
06-24-2011, 08:43 PM
the biggest thing is that everyone is different. Some people can lose weight cutting carbs, some can't lose weight unless they cut ALL carbs. Some can lose weight lowering fat, some do this and are hungry all the time, or feel weak. Key: everyone is different, and we all have to find what works best for us, i think we can all agree on this :)

The most important part of losing wait is sustainability. If you can cut fat and calories and lose weight, and remain at the energy level you need to be at, remain happy, and not feel deprived, then that is awesome! Me personally, the low carb thing has been working for me for almost 2 months, and this is the longest i've been able to stick to a plan and not falter. I'm never hungry, and most importantly for a compulsive like myself - NO CRAVINGS for sugary badness :) EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! :)

Birthday dinner was amazing, went to my folks place (which i WANTED to do) - we had oysters and caviar, then lobster and steak and salad. 10/10 :)

Starscream
06-24-2011, 09:06 PM
the biggest thing is that everyone is different. Some people can lose weight cutting carbs, some can't lose weight unless they cut ALL carbs. Some can lose weight lowering fat, some do this and are hungry all the time, or feel weak. Key: everyone is different, and we all have to find what works best for us, i think we can all agree on this :)

The most important part of losing wait is sustainability. If you can cut fat and calories and lose weight, and remain at the energy level you need to be at, remain happy, and not feel deprived, then that is awesome! Me personally, the low carb thing has been working for me for almost 2 months, and this is the longest i've been able to stick to a plan and not falter. I'm never hungry, and most importantly for a compulsive like myself - NO CRAVINGS for sugary badness :) EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! :)

Birthday dinner was amazing, went to my folks place (which i WANTED to do) - we had oysters and caviar, then lobster and steak and salad. 10/10 :)
I'm jealous, Myles. I love oysters, lobster, and steak.:dr

Starscream
06-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I ended up delaying my start date until tomorrow. My wife insisted I take her to a very delicious chinese buffet that has sushi and lots of other goodies, so I went there kicking and screaming along the way. ;)

I have 9 racks of baby back ribs prepped to go on the smoker tomorrow and will try to limit myself to maybe 1/3 rack of ribs for a meal and then find a leaner option like fish/chicken for another meal to keep the calories from getting outrageous.
Just make sure you start tomorrow.:su

:D

shilala
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm still hanging right at 204. I've been working about 14 hours a day on this deck and I'm getting obviously more muscular. It's getting easier to drag myself around, too.
I haven't been eating any more than usual, my portions are right on target. I've been eating a sandwich at lunch which I seldom do, then make sure I have dinner. Last night I had a couple piecesof pizza and some leftover spaghetti.
It's odd that a change in activity would stall my weight loss, but I'm perfectly okay with it, I'm getting healthier.
I gotta get to work. :tu

forgop
06-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Ok, first day of Atkins and my weigh in was at 229.2. I figured I would be at 235 the way I've eaten since my last diet "attempt".

Starscream
06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm still hanging right at 204. I've been working about 14 hours a day on this deck and I'm getting obviously more muscular. It's getting easier to drag myself around, too.
I haven't been eating any more than usual, my portions are right on target. I've been eating a sandwich at lunch which I seldom do, then make sure I have dinner. Last night I had a couple piecesof pizza and some leftover spaghetti.
It's odd that a change in activity would stall my weight loss, but I'm perfectly okay with it, I'm getting healthier.
I gotta get to work. :tu

Healthier is what really matters. Keep it up! We want to see that deck completed.

Starscream
06-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Ok, first day of Atkins and my weigh in was at 229.2. I figured I would be at 235 the way I've eaten since my last diet "attempt".

:noon

jonumberone
06-26-2011, 05:47 AM
I had my weigh in today.
264.2, down another two pounds.
However, I don't think I'll make my goal.
I'll be close but short.
My next goal is 250 by Labor day.
If I stay the course that should be an easy one.

Had no energy yesterday.
Woke at 7 ate breakfast, back to bed at 10.
Woke at 12:30 ate lunch, back to bed at 3.
Woke at 5:30 ate dinner, smoked a cigar, back to bed at 11.
It was a great day! :D

Kreth
06-26-2011, 06:41 AM
260.5 this morning pre-workout. My next goal on WFP is 256 by Tuesday. It's gonna be close.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 07:02 AM
225.6 yesterday morning for my official weigh-in, 225.2 this morning. I was surprised at yesterday's number after being in KC this past week. Had BBQ twice for dinner, fried chicken another, then a 5 Guys burger for lunch of Friday.

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Here's another recipe that's pretty quick/easy. This made 3 servings.

Thai Chicken Sausage w/Noodles

1 cup (dry) pasta, doesn't matter what type, I used rotini
1lb spicy chicken sausage, 4 links whole
1tbsp olive oil
3.5 oz onions coarsely chopped
3.5 oz red bell pepper coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fish sauce
juice of one small lime
2/3C coconut milk
red pepper flakes, to taste
cilantro leaves

Cook pasta per instructions on box, drain and set aside. In a large pan over med-high heat, brown sausage links on all sides, about 7-8 mins. Use a bit of olive oil if needed to keep from sticking. Don't worry about cooking sausage all the way through as it'll finish cooking later. Remove sausage and slice into 1" pieces. In same pan, over med-high heat, add the remaining oil and saute the onions/peppers for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds more. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, half of the lime juice, red pepper flakes and sausage pieces to pan. Cook for 5-6 mins more until sausage is cooked through. The coconut milk will reduce some which is what you want. You're looking for a thick sauce to form. If it reduces too much, add a bit of water. Add reserved pasta and cook long enough to reheat the pasta.

Dish up into bowls, garnish with cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime.

Calories 324, Fat 18g, Sat Fat 8g, trans fat 0g, sodium 957mg, carbs 25g, fiber 2g, sugars 6g, protein 18g

You can also add sliced carrots, bean sprouts, thai basil, maybe some chopped peanuts too.

goalie204
06-26-2011, 07:31 AM
i seem to be up 2lbs from my last weigh in (a week ago) but probably just bunged up

andy, that nutritional info doesn't look right, a cup of pasta is at least 50 grams of carbs, plus there are carbs in the veg, coconut milk, etc

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Myles, the recipe is for 3 servings, so 1/3 cup of pasta per serving. Per the box, one cup dry has 41g of carbs, 2g of fiber.

goalie204
06-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Ohhhh, didnt realize it was 3 servings ;p

guado
06-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Weight is maintaining but i am feeling slimmer...lol. I am hoping the added weight training is helping!

BTW-last night I drank my first alcohol in a month since doing my extreme weight cutting. I had two glasses of my wifes girly wine and had a buzz like no other! Tooo funny. My tolerance has hit the floor!

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 09:52 AM
I know what you mean Eddie. My tolerance was always low to begin with, even for being so big. Now it's virtually non-existant. One drink and I"m flying to the moon.

Starscream
06-26-2011, 09:54 AM
260.5 this morning pre-workout. My next goal on WFP is 256 by Tuesday. It's gonna be close.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's do-able. Get 'er done, brother!
225.6 yesterday morning for my official weigh-in, 225.2 this morning. I was surprised at yesterday's number after being in KC this past week. Had BBQ twice for dinner, fried chicken another, then a 5 Guys burger for lunch of Friday.
You are on a roll! Update your progress in your sig too if you get some time.
i seem to be up 2lbs from my last weigh in (a week ago) but probably just bunged up

Bob, that nutritional info doesn't look right, a cup of pasta is at least 50 grams of carbs, plus there are carbs in the veg, coconut milk, etc
Don't worry about it. If you're doing everything that you need to to right, then it will happen. Good things come to those who wait.
Weight is maintaining but i am feeling slimmer...lol. I am hoping the added weight training is helping!

BTW-last night I drank my first alcohol in a month since doing my extreme weight cutting. I had two glasses of my wifes girly wine and had a buzz like no other! Tooo funny. My tolerance has hit the floor!
Keep it up. If you feel better, that's progress, regardless of what the scale says.
Taking a long break from alcohol will do it to you.:D Happens to me a lot when I am dry for months at a time.

Starscream
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
241.3 on the scale today. Not official weigh in day, but it's only three pounds away from my short term goal.:noon

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 05:11 PM
241.3 on the scale today. Not official weigh in day, but it's only three pounds away from my short term goal.:noon

<Rob Schneider>You can do it </Rob Schneider>

:D

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Didn't get a walk in today, I"m nursing a pulled hamstring. Hurts like he@@ to bend down. I"m working on stretching it out. In the meantime, I worked up quite a sweat today doing yardwork and then cleaning up the basement. Only need to find some RCA cables for the DVD player and I can start my Power 90 workouts. Can't wait to try out the Bowflex dumbbells.

forgop
06-26-2011, 07:58 PM
First 2 days went pretty well. I drank all water with the exception of having a diet drink in the mornings for my caffeine intake.

I traditionally take melatonin at night, but I don't think I can take the same one I've traditionally taken because it lists dextrose in the ingredients. It says there are no carbs in it though.

Melatonin Fast Dissolve (5mg) Ingredients
Other ingredients: dextrose, cellulose, cellulose gum, crospovodone, strawberry artificial flavor, beet juice color, magnesium stearate, sucralose.

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 08:19 PM
At only 5mg, I wouldn't think there's much sugar in there.

Starscream
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I agree. I wouldn't worry about it either.

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Made this salad to accompany dinner tonight. Thought I was having lake perch but pulled out a walleye filet by mistake. This salad is perfect for summer eating, paired with any lean protein like fish, chicken, etc. It's quite easy to make and you can swap out the grain for pretty much anything you can find (quinoa, bulgur, even regular pasta, just watch serving sizes).

Cracked wheat salad. Makes 2 really large servings. You could divide it into thirds and cut the carb count down even further.

114g (1/2C) cracked #2 wheat
54g (2oz) red bell pepper, chopped into 1/4in dice
39g (1.5oz) carrot, chopped into 1/4in dice
87g (3.25oz) grape tomatoes, sliced into quarters
90g (3.3oz) onion, finely diced
17g (.6oz) green onion, sliced thin on a bias
5g (.2oz) thai chiles, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sherry vinegar (you can substitute red wine vinegar if you don't have sherry)
salt/pepper to taste

Rinse cracked wheat under cold water 3-4 times to clean. Put into a large bowl and cover by at least an 1in of boiling water. The wheat will absorb the water so you'll want enough keep it submerged. Let stand 15-20 minutes. Taste test after 15mins to see if softened completely. If not, let soak the full 20mins. Drain in a sieve, pressing out excess liquid. Dry out bowl, add wheat and set aside to cool slightly.

Once the wheat has cooled a bit, add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Place in fridge to cool completely, approx 1 hour.

It's that easy. I added the chiles as I had them on hand, you can always omit or replace with some crushed red pepper flakes

Nutritional info (per serving)
313 calories, 14.7g fat, 2g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0g cholesterol, 6.5g sodium, 40.2g carbs, 7.3g fiber, 3.4g sugars, 2.2g protein.

If you divide into 3 servings, the info is as follows.
209 calories, 10g fat, 1.3g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0g cholesterol, 4g sodium, 26.8g carbs, 4.9g fiber, 2.3g sugars, 1.5g protein.

Chainsaw13
06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
For those of you doing low carb, make sure to drink plenty of water. It'll help metabolize the extra fat/protein yout taking in.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
06-26-2011, 10:36 PM
201.4 tonight. I might finally break the 200 barrier in the morning. Lisa thinks 200 is fine. I want to try 185 and see how there works out. :tu

Commander Quan
06-27-2011, 05:09 AM
229 this morning. It's been about 2 years since I have been this weight. I might actually hit 225 before I hit the beach in 2 weeks.

hotreds
06-27-2011, 08:14 AM
201.4 tonight. I might finally break the 200 barrier in the morning. Lisa thinks 200 is fine. I want to try 185 and see how there works out. :tu

I've been told that you want to get to about 10 lbs below your goal weight because once you stop the diet, you'll gain about 5-10 lbs before you stabilize.

Starscream
06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
That makes sense, Hugh. Never thought about it that way.:D

Scott and Derrick on a roll!:tu

Starscream
06-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I love the new Health and Fitness Category!:tu

Chainsaw13
06-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Very cool. Gotta love those mods! :tu

forgop
06-27-2011, 06:28 PM
For those of you doing low carb, make sure to drink plenty of water. It'll help metabolize the extra fat/protein yout taking in.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm about to finish my 4th bottle of water today...1 liter sized. :tu

guado
06-27-2011, 06:42 PM
This morning I hit 214....meaning I have finally gone below my high school weight of 215!!! woooot.

I didnt get a run in yesterday so I forced myself today even though it just rained and it hot as hell here in tampa.

I'm at work so I had to run the big field around the fire station. I only lasted 20 minutes in the 100% soggy steam air. Holy crap I drenched a shirt. Cooled down a little bit then did triceps and chest. I am introducing carbs slowly and in a limited fashion back in as the body does need them for building some lean muscle.

So feeling good so far. Belt has gone down two holes. Still wearing my 42 jeans and shorts although loose. I hate buying new clothes so I will just make due. I just bought a crapload of newer stuff like a month ago too! hahaha... At least my frame is wide so I can still wear my bigger clothes. Except the T shirts...the xxl's are way to big. I put them on and just shake my head and wonder why I let myself get that big. Good thing t shirts are cheap!

Starscream
06-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm about to finish my 4th bottle of water today...1 liter sized. :tu
Be careful not to over do it. Too much can stall you out too.
This morning I hit 214....meaning I have finally gone below my high school weight of 215!!! woooot.

I didnt get a run in yesterday so I forced myself today even though it just rained and it hot as hell here in tampa.

I'm at work so I had to run the big field around the fire station. I only lasted 20 minutes in the 100% soggy steam air. Holy crap I drenched a shirt. Cooled down a little bit then did triceps and chest. I am introducing carbs slowly and in a limited fashion back in as the body does need them for building some lean muscle.

So feeling good so far. Belt has gone down two holes. Still wearing my 42 jeans and shorts although loose. I hate buying new clothes so I will just make due. I just bought a crapload of newer stuff like a month ago too! hahaha... At least my frame is wide so I can still wear my bigger clothes. Except the T shirts...the xxl's are way to big. I put them on and just shake my head and wonder why I let myself get that big. Good thing t shirts are cheap!
That's awesome, Eddie!:tu

Chainsaw13
06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Excellent job Eddie! :tu I know what you mean about the clothes. Some pants I bought a couple months ago are already too big. Guess my tax write-off just got a little bigger.

forgop
06-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Am I understanding you correctly? You're weighing in at 214 and wearing a 42 waist? I'd think at that weight, your clothes would be falling off of you.

forgop
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
By the way, my goal in this is to lose 59 lbs by New Year's Eve. That would get me down to 170, which is about where I was at when I did basic training and AIT a few years ago(ok, since 1992).

Sadly, that's still considered overweight according to the BMI, which I assure you is far from overweight for my frame. That's 2.2 lbs/week average over the course of the year. Definitely doable.

Starscream
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
That's 10 pounds a month, Duane. You sure you're good with that? More power to you, brother!:banger

Don't worry about the BMI index. It's pretty flawed. John Cena and Batista are considered obese by that scale.:r

Kreth
06-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Missed my goal. I was down 1.1 yesterday, and back up 1.1 today. Must've been the pizza last night. So, I set a more conservative goal: 6 lbs in the next 2 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I saw 201.4 for a minute. No idea where I'm at now. I picked up some good fod so I'll eat well while Lisa is away. Salad, steak and some of that italianish stuffed peppers/olives/feta cheese/etc. from the other special salad bar. I love that sh1t and it's all good for me.
I'll have steak and salad tonight.

Starscream
06-28-2011, 10:29 AM
240 today. Lowest yet!

This low carb, low calorie, no alcohol thing is working!
Official weigh in tomorrow.

Chainsaw13
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
240 today. Lowest yet!

This low carb, low calorie, no alcohol thing is working!
Official weigh in tomorrow.

Keep it up Andy. You'll be at your target weight in no time.

Starscream
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Missed my goal. I was down 1.1 yesterday, and back up 1.1 today. Must've been the pizza last night. So, I set a more conservative goal: 6 lbs in the next 2 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
It'll happen, bud. Just keep it up. You probably already know this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Don't overeat the day before your weigh-in. If you want to indulge, make it earlier in your week, say right after you actually weigh-in.
I saw 201.4 for a minute. No idea where I'm at now. I picked up some good fod so I'll eat well while Lisa is away. Salad, steak and some of that italianish stuffed peppers/olives/feta cheese/etc. from the other special salad bar. I love that sh1t and it's all good for me.
I'll have steak and salad tonight.
I love feta cheese!:tu I'm doing a version of stuffed peppers tonight (minus the rice and carbs).
Keep it up Andy. You'll be at your target weight in no time.

I hope so. I've been playing around for the past two months. Actually taking it seriously right now, and it's shown. I've lost four pounds this week so far.

Starscream
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Just a heads up, I started a low carb recipe thread in the good eats section. If you've got some good low carb recipes, please post them.

Chainsaw13
06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Just a heads up, I started a low carb recipe thread in the good eats section. If you've got some good low carb recipes, please post them.

I"m making some grilled beef kofta's tonight on the grill. I'll post the recipe when I"m done.

Starscream
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Sounds good, Bob.

goalie204
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
link in sig IMO :)

Starscream
06-28-2011, 01:54 PM
link in sig IMO :)

:confused:

guado
06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
213 today after a meal...sheesh. I'm actually eating more now too! I think I may finally have my body working efficiently! w0000t

Starscream
06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
A well oiled machine, Eddie!

forgop
06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Sams Club stop on the way home...eggs, cheese, sausage, and bacon for my breakfasts and then grabbed some whole chickens, boneless/skinless chicken thighs, and a nice looking pork roast all for the smoker. :tu

goalie204
06-28-2011, 03:52 PM
:confused:

link of that low carb recipe thread, in your signature! CMON ANDY I AIN'T SPEAKIN CHINESE :):tu

Kreth
06-28-2011, 04:05 PM
It'll happen, bud. Just keep it up. You probably already know this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Don't overeat the day before your weigh-in. If you want to indulge, make it earlier in your week, say right after you actually weigh-in.
I only had 2 slices, and had my wife order mushrooms instead of sausage. Other than that my intake for the day was: a bowl of Honey-nut Cheerios w/ skim milk, a Clif bar, a banana, and a cup of yogurt. :confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
06-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Sams Club stop on the way home...eggs, cheese, sausage, and bacon for my breakfasts and then grabbed some whole chickens, boneless/skinless chicken thighs, and a nice looking pork roast all for the smoker. :tu
:dr
link of that low carb recipe thread, in your signature! CMON ANDY I AIN'T SPEAKIN CHINESE :)

I'm a bit slow today.:r

I don't have anymore room in my sig.:(

Starscream
06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I only had 2 slices, and had my wife order mushrooms instead of sausage. Other than that my intake for the day was: a bowl of Honey-nut Cheerios w/ skim milk, a Clif bar, a banana, and a cup of yogurt. :confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

That's not bad at all.

Commander Quan
06-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I am almost finished watching Fat Head. If you haven't seen this movie you need to watch it. It's available on Hulu.

Starscream
06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Let us know what you think, Derrick.

Chainsaw13
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Ok, day 1 of the Power 90 system. Holy crap was that tough and fun. The AbRipper100 was killer. I think I got ~40 of them in. Followed that up with a couple sets of bicep/tricep curls.

Here's me on day 1. Can't wait to see what the change is on day 90.

Starscream
06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
If it's fun, You'll stick with it! That's good to hear that you had fun doing it.

forgop
06-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Don't worry about the BMI index. It's pretty flawed. John Cena and Batista are considered obese by that scale.:r

true, but when I'm trying to get a new life insurance policy quoted in the future, what do you think it'll go by on my application for rates? It's going to look at height/weight and whatever combination it determines the health class I'm in no matter how low my actual bodyfat may be.

Kreth
06-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Wow! Had one of *those* nights at work, expected to drop 2-3 lbs. I weighed in this morning before my workout and I was down to 255.7!
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
true, but when I'm trying to get a new life insurance policy quoted in the future, what do you think it'll go by on my application for rates? It's going to look at height/weight and whatever combination it determines the health class I'm in no matter how low my actual bodyfat may be.

Go to the doctor and get it checked professionally. It can be lowered by measuring your muscle/fat ratio too.

Starscream
06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Wow! Had one of *those* nights at work, expected to drop 2-3 lbs. I weighed in this morning before my workout and I was down to 255.7!
Posted via Mobile Device

Good news! Keep it up!

Guess what everybody?

I lost 5 pounds this week!

239!:banger

Only one more pound before I reach my short term goal. The bad news? I'm leaving to go on vacation tomorrow, so you know what that could mean...:sad

goalie204
06-29-2011, 11:33 AM
way to go andy!

Kreth
06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
WTG, Andy! :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

Chainsaw13
06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Nice work outta you Andy. :tu

Just keep in mind while on vacation that you don't need to pig out. Indulge a little, but be mindful where you can. That way you can hopefully not gain anything.

Starscream
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Nice work outta you Andy. :tu

Just keep in mind while on vacation that you don't need to pig out. Indulge a little, but be mindful where you can. That way you can hopefully not gain anything.

Most of my family in KY eats healthy, but it's not low carb. My only downfall will be White Castle. I'm gonna eat a ton of White Castle's while I'm up there, but I will stay away from the fries and other high carb items. I promise I will eat a Crave Case by myself at least. Maybe I can stay active enough up there to work it off.

I'm glad to have the new Health and Fitness section, but it makes me look like more of a postwhore. I was below 8,000 before Dave moved this thread out of banter. Now I'm almost at 9,000.:r

Chainsaw13
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Try this at WC. Take the insides from one or more sliders and put it in with another, discarding the bun. It'll cut down on the carbs and you'll still get all the rest.

I noticed that too about my post count. Bumped me up nearly a couple hundy.

Just got done with day two of Power 90. Was actually supposed to be day one, as I got the two workouts mixed up. Oh well. Lots of weight exercises in this one. Got to really use the new dumbbells. I'll give them a :tu. Worked very well as I had to go to a lower weight halfway through and it took only a few seconds and I didn't miss a beat. Worked up a good sweat again but the workout was over pretty quick, just over a half hour. Decided to keep the burn going so did part of the "Sweat" program. That was tough since my muscles were already fatigued. I got through about half before calling it quits.

I think I'm taking after Scott now. I used to be very regular if you catch my drift. Not anymore. Granted I drank a lot of water and just finished a lightish dinner, but I"m up to 231, from 224 this morning. Once things get moving it should be a quick loss back down to the 224.

Kreth
06-29-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm glad to have the new Health and Fitness section, but it makes me look like more of a postwhore. I was below 8,000 before Dave moved this thread out of banter. Now I'm almost at 9,000.:r
The first step is admitting you have a problem... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Try this at WC. Take the insides from one or more sliders and put it in with another, discarding the bun. It'll cut down on the carbs and you'll still get all the rest.

I noticed that too about my post count. Bumped me up nearly a couple hundy.

Just got done with day two of Power 90. Was actually supposed to be day one, as I got the two workouts mixed up. Oh well. Lots of weight exercises in this one. Got to really use the new dumbbells. I'll give them a :tu. Worked very well as I had to go to a lower weight halfway through and it took only a few seconds and I didn't miss a beat. Worked up a good sweat again but the workout was over pretty quick, just over a half hour. Decided to keep the burn going so did part of the "Sweat" program. That was tough since my muscles were already fatigued. I got through about half before calling it quits.

I think I'm taking after Scott now. I used to be very regular if you catch my drift. Not anymore. Granted I drank a lot of water and just finished a lightish dinner, but I"m up to 231, from 224 this morning. Once things get moving it should be a quick loss back down to the 224.

But the bun is part of what makes the slider. Can't do without.

Keep up the good work, Bob. You will start noticing the results after the first week or two definitely, if not before then.

I know how you feel. Low carb does the same thing to me too. Green veggies help out a bit with that.

goalie204
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM
i just sauteed some bacon till crisp, put it on a paper towel and threw a lot of spinach leaves in the pan (turned the heat up a bit), till they were wilted, tossed in a bit of champagne vinegar/salt/pepper and mixed the bacon back in, it was good

Chainsaw13
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
That sounds good Myles.

I made a pasta dish with 1/2 a serving of spaghetti, 1/2C sauce, some diced cherry tomatoes, diced bell pepper, garlic and a egg poached in the sauce. Added some ground flax seed to bump up the fiber, plus it thickened the sauce. Also added lots of chile flakes to spice things up. Topped with some mozzarella. Quite filling even.

Chainsaw13
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Hmm, down to 227.8 now.

Starscream
06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
The first step is admitting you have a problem... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

:r

goalie204
06-29-2011, 07:55 PM
sounds yummy Bob!

shilala
06-29-2011, 08:32 PM
I had no idea we had a health and fitness section. Huh.
I'm still hovering around 200, nothing new. I was having a lot of trouble with standing up and getting dizzy while iwas working, almost hit the dirt once.
I figured I better get some proper meals in me, so I have. I'm still packing on muscle from all the deck work, and it's going pretty well. Had to take a mid-work "go upstairs and lay down" cause my upper body was all stuck, but for the most part it's gone real well.
Now for a good night's sleep. :tu

Starscream
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I had no idea we had a health and fitness section. Huh.
I'm still hovering around 200, nothing new. I was having a lot of trouble with standing up and getting dizzy while iwas working, almost hit the dirt once.
I figured I better get some proper meals in me, so I have. I'm still packing on muscle from all the deck work, and it's going pretty well. Had to take a mid-work "go upstairs and lay down" cause my upper body was all stuck, but for the most part it's gone real well.
Now for a good night's sleep. :tu

hope the dizzyness goes away, Scott. you may want to get that checked out.

goalie204
06-30-2011, 05:58 AM
im frustrated and confused, im sticking to what ive been doin, nothings changed, but in the last week ive gone up almost 4 lbs...if anything i've been eating less, so im just ..not getting this... fckkk

Chainsaw13
06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Myles, what are you doing for exercise? I was reading an article recently that talked about hitting a plateau as far as exercising and changing up the routine.

forgop
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Myles, what are you doing for exercise? I was reading an article recently that talked about hitting a plateau as far as exercising and changing up the routine.

Same kind of thing can happen in the body. After a period of time, the body has been "programmed" to storing fat. Thus if you've been overweight for a lengthy period of time and begin losing weight, it's the body's mechanism of lowering its metabolic rate because it views it as a means of conserving energy. That's likely a good reason to be doing some weight training as it'll help boost the calories burned with a higher increase of total lean body weight compared to fat.

ashtonlady
06-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Finding out this week how important sleep is for weight loss. Not only does it mess with your metabolism but it also messes with your motivation to do it.

goalie204
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Bob: none, but i want to start doing some now that the weather is finally ince here, i want to walk and lift weights and do stuff

Chainsaw13
06-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I tell you Myles, after just three days of doing the Power90 program, I"m already seeing results. Chest and arms are tightening up. The man-boobs are nearly gone and I actually have some definition in the biceps/triceps. My legs are sore as hell too. I almost took today off to let my calves rest but pushed through it and glad I did. They feel better now than before the workout. Worth looking into. I believe I got it on Amazon for under $80. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/POWER-90-Hortons-Transformation-Workout/dp/B000VEVVIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309484159&sr=8-1

Chainsaw13
06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Just ordered the Bowflex 3.1 Utility Bench. Besides the exercises in the Power90 program, I want to do more dumbbell work, especially for the chest and back. Based on the reviews, it's a decent unit for the money and easy to use. This should help get me to my goal of some decent muscle mass/definition.

hotreds
06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Same kind of thing can happen in the body. After a period of time, the body has been "programmed" to storing fat. Thus if you've been overweight for a lengthy period of time and begin losing weight, it's the body's mechanism of lowering its metabolic rate because it views it as a means of conserving energy. That's likely a good reason to be doing some weight training as it'll help boost the calories burned with a higher increase of total lean body weight compared to fat.

Also a good idea to have a "cheat" day just to confuse your body- and it gives you something to look forward to as well.

forgop
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Think I'm gonna schedule time into my day starting next week to do the plyometrics dvd out of the P90X series. That's my favorite workout by far, albeit it'll be ugly for me for a while. Just wanna focus on some cardio for awhile. It'll be interesting to see how it works out being on the Atkins induction at the moment though.

shilala
06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
hope the dizzyness goes away, Scott. you may want to get that checked out.
I wasn't eating, Andy. It's all fixed. I just started eating a little more.

Myles, we have P90X, Insanity, and Asylum if you want to try any of that stuff. My Lisa is doing Insanity and on week three she's not getting sore anymore and it's not kicking her ass so bad. This is someone who's been at the gym or running every day for damn near her whole life. It'd kill me.
You can work up to whatever you can handle over a period of time, as long as you push really hard. So it's really something anyone can do, and all you need is a good pair of cross-trainers. :tu

Kreth
07-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Managed to maintain my weight on my night off for the 2nd straight week. The grilled haddock and broccoli for dinner last night probably helped, although I did sample some brownies my wife made.
Yesterday and today, instead of the hour of strength/yoga I tried last week, I did my usual half-hour of aerobics plus a half-hour of strength/yoga. I still managed to work up a nice sweat. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

goalie204
07-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Also a good idea to have a "cheat" day just to confuse your body- and it gives you something to look forward to as well.

I've heard this, but im scared it would be the beginning of the end, but i dont know anymore. I'd die right now if i tried any of those intensive exercise regimes, need to start slow

Chainsaw13
07-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Think I'm gonna schedule time into my day starting next week to do the plyometrics dvd out of the P90X series. That's my favorite workout by far, albeit it'll be ugly for me for a while. Just wanna focus on some cardio for awhile. It'll be interesting to see how it works out being on the Atkins induction at the moment though.

I can't wait to get through this program so I can start on the P90x. Seems like everyone that does it says it's tough but feels a sense of accomplishment when they make it through. Same with Insanity.

I wasn't eating, Andy. It's all fixed. I just started eating a little more.

Good to hear you're doing better Scott.

Managed to maintain my weight on my night off for the 2nd straight week. The grilled haddock and broccoli for dinner last night probably helped, although I did sample some brownies my wife made.
Yesterday and today, instead of the hour of strength/yoga I tried last week, I did my usual half-hour of aerobics plus a half-hour of strength/yoga. I still managed to work up a nice sweat. :tu

I'm finding I really like the yoga routine in the program I'm on. It's not a lot of moves but I work up a sweat just doing them for the 5 mins or so. Can't wait to see what a longer workout does.

I'd die right now if i tried any of those intensive exercise regimes, need to start slow

I've had the Power90 program sitting on my desk at home for two years. Took me that long to finally get up the gumption to start it. Now I"m glad i finally did. It's not really too difficult and all along the way they tell you to go at your own pace or hit pause if you need to. It's not about killing yourself at the beginning. As you get more fit, you'll be able to do more. If you're still not ready for it, just get a set of 5 or 10lb dumbbells and do some different curl exercises. You can do a number of them to work the arms, back, chest and shoulders.

Commander Quan
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I've never seen the P90 or Insanity DVDs but i have done 6 weeks of P90X. When you guys start just be sure to start slow, and be very attentive to what your body is telling you. These are great workouts, but they are very lacking in any type of instruction as far as how to correctly/safely do the workouts.

I've had problems with the disks in my lower back for the last 6 years, and I while doing Plyo I blew out those 2 disks and it's taken me almost 2 years to get back to where I was before then. I always worked out on Zebra mats so be especially careful if you are working out on a solid surface, or you haven't lifted weights in a while. There is great potential to do more harm than good if the routines are done with poor form.

hotreds
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Dropped three this week. No complaints- I realize I can't lose 50 lbs in a coupla weeks- alas!

hotreds
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
I've heard this, but im scared it would be the beginning of the end, but i dont know anymore. I'd die right now if i tried any of those intensive exercise regimes, need to start slow

Slow is the way to go!

Chainsaw13
07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Dropped three this week. No complaints- I realize I can't lose 50 lbs in a coupla weeks- alas!

Awesome job Hugh!

hotreds
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Good info here!

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/07/why-cardio-doesnt-work-a-neat-explanation.php

shilala
07-01-2011, 06:42 PM
202.2 this morning. Not sure if that's a new low, but it may be.

Chainsaw13
07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
202.2 this morning. Not sure if that's a new low, but it may be.

This new workout program must be doing something to my metabolism. The last couple days I've been hungry like a horse. Still not taking in large counts of calories though, actually been cutting back on the carbs to less than 100g a day. We'll see at tomorrow's official weigh-in.

One question for you guys and gals. When you weigh-in, are you wearing any clothes or is it eau-naturale? I try to wear the same amount of clothing so it doesn't skew the results, but I don't want to strip down just so I can make myself feel better by squeaking out a lower number.

Chainsaw13
07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Started reading a book called, "The End of Overeating". Not that far into it, but some pretty interesting facts about studies linking salt, sugar and fat and how it affects most people into over eating. Also how food companies know this and exploit it to their advantage. One study in rats showed that sugar and fat in quantity could induce responses that would cause the nearly the same response to seek out the food as cocaine addicts will for their fix.

goalie204
07-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Good info here!

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/07/why-cardio-doesnt-work-a-neat-explanation.php

I started reading this, saw this at the beginning:

Simple: Weight loss is a function of caloric deficit

and closed the browser window.

shilala
07-01-2011, 11:47 PM

This new workout program must be doing something to my metabolism. The last couple days I've been hungry like a horse. Still not taking in large counts of calories though, actually been cutting back on the carbs to less than 100g a day. We'll see at tomorrow's official weigh-in.

One question for you guys and gals. When you weigh-in, are you wearing any clothes or is it eau-naturale? I try to wear the same amount of clothing so it doesn't skew the results, but I don't want to strip down just so I can make myself feel better by squeaking out a lower number.
Butt nekkid, right after I get out of the shower. That way I know how much I weigh, and not the clothes and stuff. :tu

Tyler
07-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I need to lose like 10lbs and get better muscle mass. Maybe I will go workout tomorrow.... or I might sit on my ass cuz its Saturday lol. More power to you guys!

Mattso3000
07-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I just need to get back out running...gained 10 lbs since I broke my foot 3 weeks ago. Out of the boot now, but still pretty sore.

Kreth
07-02-2011, 06:47 AM
This new workout program must be doing something to my metabolism. The last couple days I've been hungry like a horse.
I've had the opposite effect. It seems like I get full quicker, which has made scaling back portions easier.

I weigh in before my morning workout, so t-shirt and shorts for me.
254 this morning, that's 19 lbs so far. I've got a lot more energy, and my back isn't *****ing as much... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

forgop
07-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Whatever method you choose to do is up to you. Just remember to use the same scale, same time of day, same clothes to get a good feel of your progress.

Foe example, my weigh-in will be Saturday mornings, on my digital scale, immediately after emptying my bladder. ;)

forgop
07-02-2011, 07:10 AM
My first week on the Atkins induction is in the books. This is the hardest I've ever focused on drinking water in lieu of diet drinks. I must admit I am drinking 1 glass of a diet drink in the morning when I wake up, but that's it. Instead of going through a 2L+ of pop a day, it's lasting me almost a week and the rest is all water.

Today's weight was 220.8, down from 229.2, a loss of 8.4 lbs in my first week. :)

Chainsaw13
07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Great job all around everyone. Some awesome weightloss numbers. For the new guys chiming in, the hardest part is getting started. It gets easier as you go along.

224.4 this morning. Not really much change in weight from last week. However my scale says I dropped 1% of body fat. Don't know how accurate that is, but it might be close. I've noticed that my belt is loser even though I didn't lose any weight.

shilala
07-02-2011, 12:24 PM
199.4 this morning, ladies and gentlemen!!! :tu <insert parade here>
Apparantly something has changed again and I've started losing weight again. I think it's because all the heavy lifting part of the deck building is over. Whatever it is, it's awesome to be back on track.
I didn't believe the number, so I cleaned the feet on the scale and placed it on the exact same bathroom tile where I always place it, so the number is Guinness accurate.
I gotta say I've been smiles all morning about it, and I've very happy. :D

goalie204
07-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Great job all around everyone. Some awesome weightloss numbers. For the new guys chiming in, the hardest part is getting started. It gets easier as you go along.

I gotta disagree with you there Bob. I find it easiest to START, and when you start you're motivated, and have what i call "religion" :P - For me the hardest part is sticking to it, and continuing! That is why i hope i've found something easy to stick to! :)

forgop
07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I gotta disagree with you there Bob. I find it easiest to START, and when you start you're motivated, and have what i call "religion" :P - For me the hardest part is sticking to it, and continuing! That is why i hope i've found something easy to stick to! :)

I was talking with my nurse practitioner at school. She said statistics show that most people fail after 3 weeks in terms of the workout out/dieting. When I've done diets over the last couple of years, that seems to be the case. I have 2 good weeks and then the 3rd week might taper off as far as discipline goes, I don't lose anymore, and then I just mail it in.

Fitness clubs are packed the first month of January and then tapers off like crazy as people fall short on their new year's resolutions.

goalie204
07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
me too Duane, and as a result i've been "yo-yo" dieting as they call it, for as long as i can remember. This low carb thing is actually easier to stick to tho, because cutting out carbs and eating a good amount of fat and protein a) keeps you satiated, and b) curbs the cravings - at least for me anyway. Just my humble opinion!

Kreth
07-02-2011, 04:49 PM
199.4 this morning, ladies and gentlemen!!! :tu <insert parade here>
Apparantly something has changed again and I've started losing weight again. I think it's because all the heavy lifting part of the deck building is over. Whatever it is, it's awesome to be back on track.
Congrats, Scott! You probably built up some muscle with all the lifting, and it's bumped up your metabolism. :2
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
07-03-2011, 04:47 PM
199.2 this morning. :tu
Hope everyone is hangin tough. It's a difficult junkfood/good food/awesome food weekend.
Just remember, the food will ALWAYS be there. If not this weekend, some other weekend. There's no reason we can't try a little of all of it, but there's no reason to eat to the edge where we almost need an ambulance. :D
You guys have an awesome weekend!!!