PDA

View Full Version : Losing Weight with Starscream

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

goalie204
04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Make your body earn/burn what it eats:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sc-health-0316-how-to-eat-more-active20110316,0,75878.story

that link says "whole-wheat". Whole-wheat doesn't mean anything anymore, it's whole-grain one should look for if one wants to eat good carbs

Starscream
04-04-2011, 08:47 AM
that link says "whole-wheat". Whole-wheat doesn't mean anything anymore, it's whole-grain one should look for if one wants to eat good carbs

True. I'm not a big grain person anyway. I just try to get all my fruits and vegetables in and go easy on sodium. If I do that, then I'm all good.:tu

backwoods357
04-04-2011, 09:12 AM
In the last year I've gone from 295 to 220, with a few simple changes. First and most importantly, I completely cut out soda. Instead I drink sparkling water (usually with a natural citrus flavor). I made this change to cut high fructose corn syrup and fructose out of my diet. See here (http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/01/15/dr-oz-reveals-the-sneaky-sugar-in-your-food/) I also had to cut ketchup for the same reason. I replaced it with Spicy brown mustard and love it. the second change was eating breakfast every day. I've read that if you don't eat for 12 hours your metabolism will drop by ~40%. It doesn't have to be something big, I often would just eat and orange or yogurt cup on my drive to work. The last thing we changed is we started cooking all our own meals. It's surprisingly easy, and it doesn't take much time. I don't cook lean or low calorie meals either, I just don't eat a bunch of processed crap. I don't exercise but I used the first two changes to win a weight loss competition at a previous job against around 100 other coworkers, and I worked out around twice a week then. And every other day I was going out to sit down places for lunch and eating pub food and drinking pints in the evening. I won a very nice treadmill in that competition btw. When I worked out I would do some free wieghts but mostly I would just run sprints for 20 or so min on the treadmill. I would start out at a walk then speed it up to a full run for as long as I could then turn it back to a walk untill I got my breath back, rinse and repeat. Congrats on your progress guys. Just my :2

Don Fernando
04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
lost 135lbs in total since september 09, want to lose another 70.

backwoods357
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Also congrats Scott!

Chainsaw13
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
lost 135lbs in total since september 09, want to lose another 70.

:tu Ferdie

Starscream
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Jorgen and Ferdie, way to go!:tu

Starscream
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Another workout with the NFL Training Camp for the Wii. I'm on day 2 of the 60 Day Challenge.:tu This game makes exercise fun! Highly recommended for anyone who owns a Wii.

Starscream
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Today's article. Food can be just addictive as drugs:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/hc-weir-obesity-addiction-brain-0405-20110404,0,7935522.story

shilala
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
211.8 this morning.

shilala
04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Today's article. Food can be just addictive as drugs:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/hc-weir-obesity-addiction-brain-0405-20110404,0,7935522.story

Here's why food is not as addictive as drugs...
Ever hear a story about a young man in prison who shot his own grandmother in the face to get in her refrigerator?

The article says that food activates some of the same regions in the brain as drug addiction, and uses the word "similar".
If there was one thing that could serve mankind in a profoundly good way, it's the media. It's a crying shame it's not so.

Starscream
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
No, it's not like heroin or crack, but it is addictive. More like weed or alcohol. You do it just b/c you want that feeling or have a craving. The media reports to much with oversensationalism, but the underlying message is there (sometimes between the lines).

piperman
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
My wife and I started the "The food Lovers Fat Loss System" it is a way of life not a diet. What it does is it resets your metabolism to burn fat instead of storing it buy eating three meals a day which includes one protein, one fast carb, and one slow carb, and a snack in between you need to eat every two to three hours. So far it has done wonders for us. We have been on it for 16 days and can already feel a difference. My wife is diabetic and her average sugar level was 190 to 210 while on insulin, now it is running in the 90s. We will get to weigh on 4/3 21 days after starting. I was 180.

Well on day 21 lost 12 lbs and 15 total inches, :noon

goalie204
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
No doubt some of us are addicted to food. However, unlike weed and crack both of which i've struggled with and quit, i can't quit eating, it's something us people need to live maybe not in excess, but just saying :P

shilala
04-06-2011, 05:44 AM
No, it's not like heroin or crack, but it is addictive. More like weed or alcohol. You do it just b/c you want that feeling or have a craving. The media reports to much with oversensationalism, but the underlying message is there (sometimes between the lines).

No doubt some of us are addicted to food. However, unlike weed and crack both of which i've struggled with and quit, i can't quit eating, it's something us people need to live maybe not in excess, but just saying :P
I get the connection, and I can even see the similarities. I'm hopelessly addicted to snuff. The sh1t owns me, it has for well over 30 years. Even at that, I can't rightfully put it in the same category with the destruction that is drug and alcohol addiction, and neither could the study.
The part I thought was really interesting was the test they gave folks to ferret out propensities. That way they could send you home before wasting brain machine time on you.
I'm certain I'd get brain machine time, I've always been highly addictive to anything I liked. If some is good, more is better. That way of thinking and living is very difficult to contain, and I see it in all facets of my life. At least at this point of my life I know what to do about it and I can notice it. That just leaves the doing part. :D

goalie204
04-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Me too Scott, very addictive personality, somewhat compulsive. Even when i started smoking cigars it was habitual and i would have to have one every day. Thank goodness it's become a passion/enjoyment now over the years, and not an addiction that I "need" it.

Moderation in anything is tough with this personality

shilala
04-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Me too Scott, very addictive personality, somewhat compulsive. Even when i started smoking cigars it was habitual and i would have to have one every day. Thank goodness it's become a passion/enjoyment now over the years, and not an addiction that I "need" it.

I hear ya, brother.
With all the stuff out there in the world that's trying to kill us all day every day, the last thing we need is ourselves helping it along.
If I can let God neutralize my dumb ass, I'll be okay. The odds don't look so good. :)

Starscream
04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Well on day 21 lost 12 lbs and 15 total inches, :noon
Awesome, Randy!:tu
Same here, Myles. Same here.:hn
I hear ya, brother.
With all the stuff out there in the world that's trying to kill us all day every day, the last thing we need is ourselves helping it along.

If only I could remember that everyday.:) I seem to come and go in spurts lately.

Starscream
04-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Woke up late and ill this morning. Didn't have time for my weigh-in (although it only takes about 5 seconds). I always weigh-in first thing in the morning on Wednesdays. Should I still weigh-in when I get home b/c it's Wednesday or should I wait until tomorrow b/c I always weigh-in in the mornings?

hscmit
04-06-2011, 08:58 AM
silverchair it (wait till tomorrow)

shilala
04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Woke up late and ill this morning. Didn't have time for my weigh-in (although it only takes about 5 seconds). I always weigh-in first thing in the morning on Wednesdays. Should I still weigh-in when I get home b/c it's Wednesday or should I wait until tomorrow b/c I always weigh-in in the mornings?
Dood, I'm getting better and you're getting sick. At least I know where it went. I hope you feel better!!!
I'd definately wait till tomorrow morning. I weigh a good three pounds less in the morning than I do at night.

Chainsaw13
04-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Had my first official home weigh in this morning. 250.0 on the dot. I so wanted to see the 240's pop up on the screen. But I'll take it cause I'm going in the right direction.

Texan in Mexico
04-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Morning all, saw 240's pop up for the first time in years this morning! Came in at 246...

I want to say that there are a lot of similarities here in regards to certain personality traits and behavior and it is great for me to see you all express what I go through but am hesitant to mention for whatever reason, in summary - thank you very, very much! It is a big help.

Randy congrats!

I look forward to 240 by May 1st - going on a long business trip tomorrow and its going to take a lot of discipline to stay with it.

Good day all!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chainsaw13
04-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Good job Travis.

Starscream
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Great job, Bob and Travis!:tu

My weigh in today was at 248. One pound down. I'm a little bummed that it was only a pound, but it's still a loss.

Keep it up fellas!:tu

backwoods357
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
:chr
214 Lbs at noon today.
Tuesday the woman and I went for a walk a war memorial near our house. walked for a good hour and a half. It was absolutely beautiful. We sat at the top of a hill and had a cigar, I liked it but I have no clue who made it as I got some unmarked sticks from a local B&M on a whim (they are seconds but just have minor aesthetic defects) I'll have to ask when I go in next. My camera phone can't really do justice to the scenery, but I uploaded it anyways.

Starscream
04-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Awesome view, Jorgen!:tu
What park/memorial was that?

Texan in Mexico
04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
That is a great spot - looks like a good deer field?
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
211.4 today, down from 215.6 on the 2nd.

Great job, Travis!!! :tu
Jumping those tens barriers is awesome. It'll feel like it took me a year to get down to the 00's, so when I do get down there, it'll be a magical moment.
Lot's of times my numbers smack of bullsh1t because of my size. I'm a big guy, so with all this mass, I can lose lots and lots of water weight. I bust my ass to drink lots of water and fluids every day so it doesn't skew my numbers too much.
Point being, I've been sick on the couch for a week, and yesterday I got up and worked the best part of the day. I don't think I drank as much water in a constant fashion like I usually do, but I hit it at intervals.
My weight could go up tomorrow, and probably will. We'll have to wait and see. By next weekend, I should be down in the 00's, though. I'm excited about that. :)

backwoods357
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I know what you mean about water weight Scott, in that weight loss competition I was in I was neck and neck with a female that weighed at most 130. The last week she dehydrated herself and because it was based on % of total body weight, she did some serious damage.

Andy, it's called Cheatham Hill. It's part of a large park known as Kennesaw Battlefield Memorial. Attached is a pic of the memorial on the hill (180 degrees from the first pic).

Travis, I've seen a ton of deer in the area, but none in the fields. Didn't see any spots where they bedded down either. :sh
Must be because of all the foot traffic.

backwoods357
04-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Tonights dinner was homemade pizza, without cheese. I know what you are thinking, but it's actually quite good. Don't get me wrong, I love cheese. :dr I'm just trying to make it a little less fattening. We put mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, spinach, and BBQ chicken on it and I made the dough out of a mix of whole wheat and white flour (I also prefer to use a little brown sugar and molasses in my recipe). Came out really good, definitely a keeper.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e17/Darth_Jism/PhotoApr0924231AM.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e17/Darth_Jism/PhotoApr0924216AM.jpg

Don Fernando
04-09-2011, 03:26 AM
decided to pick up going to the gym again, haven't been for 6 months due to an injury, vacation, surgery and laziness but started again this week with 2 workouts. I start a new job on monday (first job after 18 months), I have to get used to a new schedule anyway, so why not get used to working 40 hours and going to the gym 3 times a week instead of just getting used to working 40 hours?

Starscream
04-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Andy, it's called Cheatham Hill. It's part of a large park known as Kennesaw Battlefield Memorial. Attached is a pic of the memorial on the hill (180 degrees from the first pic).

Travis, I've seen a ton of deer in the area, but none in the fields. Didn't see any spots where they bedded down either. :sh
Must be because of all the foot traffic.

Is that anywhere near I-20?

backwoods357
04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
It's west of I-75N
here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.934557,-84.598407&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.123021,79.101563&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16)

Because Its off road it shows a marker on the nearest road, just ignore the "A" marker. The green marker is where I was. The whole green area that is crisscrossed by roads is the battlefield memorial park. If you wanted to actually go there I would drive up Cheatham Hill Rd and park in the lot directly west of the memorial (you can see the trails through the grass in the satellite view), cross the road and take a right at the fork in the path.

Starscream
04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Not a good week so far with food, but a great week for activity and exercise. Spent the weekend camping with my son at the local Boy Scout camp. We walked at least 5 miles Saturday. I also got in two workouts on the NFL Training Camp 60 Day Challenge for the Wii.

Today's tip is about exercise: In order to stick to an exercise regimen, make sure it is enjoyable.
http://www.ajc.com/health/atlanta-loses-weight/make-fitness-resolution-fun-789492.html

Starscream
04-11-2011, 08:34 AM
It's west of I-75N
here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.934557,-84.598407&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.123021,79.101563&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16)

Because Its off road it shows a marker on the nearest road, just ignore the "A" marker. The green marker is where I was. The whole green area that is crisscrossed by roads is the battlefield memorial park. If you wanted to actually go there I would drive up Cheatham Hill Rd and park in the lot directly west of the memorial (you can see the trails through the grass in the satellite view), cross the road and take a right at the fork in the path.

I was close, just on the east side of Atlanta, where it's actually on the north/west side.:tu Never been there, but I see signs for it on the interstate when I travel that direction.:tu

goalie204
04-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Transcript from the CNN joy behar show about the new study that Andy linked about food addiction

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1104/07/joy.01.html

Starscream
04-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Completed Day 6 of NFL Training Camp last night.

Starscream
04-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Transcript from the CNN joy behar show about the new study that Andy linked about food addiction

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1104/07/joy.01.html

Just to let the rest of you know, the food addiction segment is at the very end. I don't like Behar, but the segment was pretty good. I'm glad that I don't consider myself a food addict.

goalie204
04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
i couldnt find the video ;(

Starscream
04-14-2011, 08:06 AM
No change this week. I worked out hard for 5 days last week and I do feel better physically though, so it was not for nothing. Sucks that I have some sort of head cold/infection yesterday and today preventing me from working out. Feel like crap today...:hn

Fordman4ever
04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
After spending a week down in Mississippi and Georgia with my brother, I was back up to 196 last Sunday. Today I weighed in and I am back down to 190. Still not back to 186 like I was a couple of weeks ago, but I'm getting there.

Chainsaw13
04-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm dreading getting back on the scale when I get back from vacation. Nothing but food, booze, cigars and more booze and food. Back to the schedule Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Texan in Mexico
04-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Morning all, trip took a toll big time - lots of exercise but more bad food - back up 5 lbs...
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
04-18-2011, 07:07 AM
After spending a week down in Mississippi and Georgia with my brother, I was back up to 196 last Sunday. Today I weighed in and I am back down to 190. Still not back to 186 like I was a couple of weeks ago, but I'm getting there.
Stay focused, Earl.:tu
I'm dreading getting back on the scale when I get back from vacation. Nothing but food, booze, cigars and more booze and food. Back to the schedule Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Morning all, trip took a toll big time - lots of exercise but more bad food - back up 5 lbs...
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob and Travis, bad weeks happen, just don't make them habitual. Everybody slides from time to time.

No exercise in a week for me. This cough/chest congestion has prevented me from doing much. Got on the scale yesterday and it looks good for my check in on Wednesday.:tu

Texan in Mexico
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
In the grand scheme of things you are right - important to stay the course. Thanks for the pep talk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
In the grand scheme of things you are right - important to stay the course. Thanks for the pep talk.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm just not a great example of staying the course.:)

shilala
04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
211.2 today. Not bad considering I haven't taken a dump in like 20 years.

Starscream
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
:r

goalie204
04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
reading a book called why we get fat or something like that, amazing read, and debunks the calories in/calories out myth that is thought to be common knowledge among every expert including doctors and nutritionists and pretty much..everyone. Really crazy stuff.

Also passover around these parts, so im up to around 10 billion lbs

Fordman4ever
04-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Finally back down into the 180s after my vacation back home. yesterday afternoon I was 189. and that was after 2 big meals and no morning constitutional:noon

Starscream
04-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Congrats Earl!:tu
I'm ready for tomorrow's check in! Looking good for this week!

Starscream
04-20-2011, 06:36 AM
242! Only four more pounds to hit my short term goal. That's a loss of 7lbs this week!:banger:wo:wo

Chainsaw13
04-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Congrats Andy. That's awesome.

I gained about 8lbs on vacation last week. Damn that food in New Orleans. Already lost 4 of it though, so not so bad. Got me some new running shoes yesterday. Going to break them in tonight.

Starscream
04-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Congrats Andy. That's awesome.

I gained about 8lbs on vacation last week. Damn that food in New Orleans. Already lost 4 of it though, so not so bad. Got me some new running shoes yesterday. Going to break them in tonight.

Vacations both are great and they suck! Glad you had a good time. Have fun with those running shoes.;) Just make sure you enjoy it if you are going to do it on a regular basis.

I'm gonna gain next week unless I exercise myself to death. After Easter, I'm gonna drink a whole bunch!:al:r

backwoods357
04-20-2011, 08:43 AM
l just weighed in this morning, 210! 85lbs so far.

Chainsaw13
04-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Have fun with those running shoes.;) Just make sure you enjoy it if you are going to do it on a regular basis.

The plan is to train for a 5k run. I just need to pick one coming up in the next month or so and register. I'm already walking 2.5-3miles 4-5 times a week, so transitioning to running shouldn't hopefully be that strenuous.

Congrats. I'm hoping to get down to that point myself. I had set a goal of 225, but I think that'll be temporary. I guess it all depends on how I feel.

Starscream
04-20-2011, 05:35 PM
AWESOME!:tu
The plan is to train for a 5k run. I just need to pick one coming up in the next month or so and register. I'm already walking 2.5-3miles 4-5 times a week, so transitioning to running shouldn't hopefully be that strenuous.

Awesome goal! Get 'er done (to quote an annoying pretend redneck)!

Chainsaw13
04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
250.6 this morning for my official weekly weigh-in. That's 1.8lbs up from my pre-vacation weight but down 6.5 from when I got home Monday.

Went for my first run/jog last night. Didn't push it too hard since it was the first time, new shoes and I'm just not in that great of shape (yet). Not bad. Did 2.26mi in 32.5mins, of which 8mins was jogging. Walked a bit, jogged, repeated. I'm concerned the ankle won't take it though. I've already had 4 operations to remove bone chips, don't really need a 5th. I'll keep an eye on it though. It's not bad this morning, just a little pain but that could be from just the exertion.

Starscream
04-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Easy on that ankle, Bob. Don't stop, but be careful with it.
Did you turn on it funny or anything, or do you just think it's soreness?

Chainsaw13
04-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Easy on that ankle, Bob. Don't stop, but be careful with it.
Did you turn on it funny or anything, or do you just think it's soreness?

Just feels like soreness right now. Doesn't help I'm missing bone/cartilidge in the joint. I'm going to listen to my body though and not press it.

shilala
04-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Congratulations, gentlemen!!! :tu
My laxative is starting to lax, the barometer is coming up, and I feel tons better.
I plan to poop 20 more times and move stuff from the garage to the basement today. :tu

Chainsaw13
04-21-2011, 08:38 AM
TMI Scott! :r

Starscream
04-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Just feels like soreness right now. Doesn't help I'm missing bone/cartilidge in the joint. I'm going to listen to my body though and not press it.
Good idea.:tu
Congratulations, gentlemen!!! :tu
My laxative is starting to lax, the barometer is coming up, and I feel tons better.
I plan to poop 20 more times and move stuff from the garage to the basement today. :tu

Have fun with that...:np

Just kidding about the pics.:tu

Starscream
04-22-2011, 06:20 AM
How we doing today, gentlemen?

hscmit
04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
morning andy
weighted in this morning @ 183

2 yrs ago I was over 200 and not very happy with myself- very pleased to be back somewhere reasonable

keep up the good work fellas

shilala
04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I think I was up around 213 this morning. I drank a crazy amount of fluids yesterday to replace all I lost while I was down, so it's to be expected. Now that I'm back up and around, the weight should start coming down again. I'm still not eating much of anything at all, just what I have to. This high carb/low potassium restriction makes it tough to find anything to eat but rice and noodles, and I very seldom eat any meat or anything with fat. That's just because meat has lots of potassium, and I can't tolerate it ( unless I want to spend a few days in bed.) :D

Chainsaw13
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Doing good here Andy. 249.4 this morning. Liking how I'm feeling too. Energy and mood is way up. Why didn't I do this years ago?

Chainsaw13
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who may not be doing it yet, but definitely invest the $20-25 in a good digital kitchen scale. I now portion out all my meals/snacks. It really lets you understand how much you're eating. Like the handful of spaghetti I would grab from the box, which was usually x2+ the normal serving size. Now it's either the 2oz or less per serving. Another item I help use to track my meals is a simple excel spreadsheet I made up. I enter all the ingredients and the nutritional info, plug in how many servings it makes and presto, I have the nutritional info for that exact meal. Lastly I use a carb counter program for my phone that I then enter all my meal/snack info into. I need to watch the carbs, but it has all of the other info too so you can see exactly how much you eat a day. With the healthier choices I"m making food wise, I eat like a fiend and still only take in ~2000 cals a day.

Went for my 2nd walk/run today. Only got 21 mins in because of the weather, but still got 1.52 miles done. And the best news is my ankle isn't feeling any worse for wear. :tu

Starscream
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Doing good here Andy. 249.4 this morning. Liking how I'm feeling too. Energy and mood is way up. Why didn't I do this years ago?

Energy and mood go hand in hand for me. I feel good and have a bit more energy as of late.:tu

Starscream
04-22-2011, 05:23 PM
reading a book called why we get fat or something like that, amazing read, and debunks the calories in/calories out myth that is thought to be common knowledge among every expert including doctors and nutritionists and pretty much..everyone. Really crazy stuff.

Also passover around these parts, so im up to around 10 billion lbs

I gave up alcohol for Lent this year. I've done my 40 days (by not indulging on Sundays as most protestants do), so I'm drinking a bit tonight. Easter might set me back a bit this week, but hopefully the camping trip I'm taking for spring break will give me enough exercise to make up for it.

Don Fernando
04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
This was me, may 2009 (with Smokin Gator)

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/herfingusa/Gainesville/IMG_2964-1.jpg

this is me, april 2011

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w355/celtic2b/IMG_0039.jpg

Fordman4ever
04-24-2011, 04:35 PM
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS REALLY IMPRESSIVE. Congrats on the progress

Starscream
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
This was me, may 2009 (with Smokin Gator)

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/herfingusa/Gainesville/IMG_2964-1.jpg

this is me, april 2011

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w355/celtic2b/IMG_0039.jpg

I wouldn't have recognized you, Ferdinand. Wow! Congrats on all your dedication and work!:tu

Chainsaw13
04-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Nice job Ferdie! :tu

Chainsaw13
04-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Did some more walking/running today. Ankle's still holding up well. I think the weight loss I've done before this has helped tremendously. Was able to run more this time than the two previous sessions. Still can't string more than a half mile at a time, but I'm happy with the progress so far.

Had to go buy some new clothes a couple weeks ago. My old clothes were really baggy. So much so tightening the belt would cinch up so much of the waistband, it was a bit uncomfortable. Plus just looked funny. I'm also no longer having to shop in the fat mans section. :tu

Fordman4ever
04-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Basic training graduation
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v12/3/2/33000434/n33000434_30730733_1074.jpg

240lbs
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/3/2/33000434/n33000434_34090751_748.jpg

after my last deployment. about 185lbs
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2061/97/17/810360580/n810360580_5587505_5070.jpg

Getting back down to 165-170 is probably the hardest thing I've had to do. getting up to 240 was no problem at all. Lots of beer drinking and midnight food runs. working my butt off(literally) to get back to where i was.

Starscream
04-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Basic training graduation
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v12/3/2/33000434/n33000434_30730733_1074.jpg

240lbs
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/3/2/33000434/n33000434_34090751_748.jpg

after my last deployment. about 185lbs
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2061/97/17/810360580/n810360580_5587505_5070.jpg

Getting back down to 165-170 is probably the hardest thing I've had to do. getting up to 240 was no problem at all. Lots of beer drinking and midnight food runs. working my butt off(literally) to get back to where i was.

Going up is easy!:r Hard coming back down, but it's always worth it, right?

Starscream
04-25-2011, 09:16 AM
I'll have to weigh in a day early this week b/c I'm not taking my scale on my camping trip with me. No gain so far, but tomorrow will tell.

shilala
04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I was 212 this morning. Still can't crack the 10 barrier. It'll come, I'm just impatient. :D

Starscream
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
That's my problem as well, Scott. I'm impatient.:D

shilala
05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
209 this morning. :tu
That was a real nice barrier to break. It'll be near impossible to hold it for a few days, but it'll ultimately stick. I have to eat lots of carbs today, so we'll see what happens. Noodles or rice for dinner and some kind of cereal for lunch, I suppose.

Chainsaw13
05-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Congrats Scott. That's gotta be a great feeling.

I did a weigh in a few days ago and was at 245. Let's see if I can keep that up. I am staying under 250 throughout the day though and it's still slowly coming off. Today I'll get in a good walk to burn some calories. Did 3.8mi in just under 56min on Sunday. I was boggie-ing.

shilala
05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Well done, Bob!!! :tu

It's nice to see a nice pattern taking hold, right? That way you know you're on to something that's going to be permanent. Especially if the "pattern" or new way you do stuff isn't real hard to do, or maintain.
I've watched, and when guys say "I'm going to change everything I do to make this weight come off", ya just know it's going to be too hard to maintain. It's easier to just change a couple little things at a time so they can be incorporated into our lives without a bunch of drama. That way they're likely to become habit.
They say it takes 30 days to develop a new habit. Do you think that seems about right, with the way you're making changes?

Chainsaw13
05-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Yea, seems every week the pattern shifts downward by a pound or two. It's amazing to see how much you can fluctuate in any given day.

You're correct that it's easiest to change just a couple of things than trying to go whole hog. I had started about two years ago with just changing my diet, removing processed foods, adding more veggies/fruits, organic naturally raised proteins. With just that change I lost ~30lbs in two years. Over the last few months I added in walking along with cutting back on the carbs. That's allowed me to take off the next ~25lbs. So I would say you're right about the 30 days to develop a habit. I'm pissed at myself if I skip a walk (which I've rarely done).

I wanted to ask about hydration. What percentage do you shoot for? I'm assuming you're using one of the scales that measures your hydration level. Mine says I'm at 48%, where the manual said 55-60% is optimal. I know taking off more weight will increase the percentage, but until then how can I increase it? I"m already drinking 8-12 glasses a day. I don't think I can do much more though, i'd be p*ssing all the time.

shilala
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Bob, I don't use any scales or aids or any of that. My wife has been into aerobics, running, lifting, all that stuff for years. She works out every day and runs every day when the weather is decent. She can deliver real simple answers to any of my questions.
Lots of the things I do make her cringe. :D
I have a very rare neuromuscular disorder that I'm treating for, so I take lots of meds. My body dictates what I can and can't do on a momentary basis. Right now, one of my meds is a diuretic, but it doesn't act as a diuretic because my muscles are sucking it all up. I've always gone to the bathroom a ridiculous amount of times every day, so that doesn't bother me anyways.
Right now I'm also on a very low potassium, high carb diet. I subsist on noodles, rice, and water, basically. Meat has a lot of potassium, and in the last year I've developed a natural aversion to it because if I eat a steak it causes me incredible pain.
Weird, right?
The easy answer is I eat weird stuff regularly (in small portions, cause usually I don't like it) and I drink constantly. I'm never without a drink by my side. Sometimes I drink grape Aquafina, lots of times I just drink filtered water.

That said, I listen to my body. If I'm thirsty, I drink. I trust what it's telling me a lot more than what a book says, but that's cause I'm so screwed up. I absolutely have to get lots of water and carbs, and I cannot fast or I get the same results as the steak I mentioned.
I suppose I have an unfair advantage with my health and all, but all the changes I've made, I made slowly.

The best I could suggest is maybe try drinking more water in the early evening (after work)? That way it won't be such an issue. I am slap full of water all the time, so much so that I slosh. It isn't an issue because I'm home all the time, but I can see where it'd drive a guy nuts.

Starscream
05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Awesome to see all the discussion in here.:tu

Bob, I don't know anything about hydration other than I try to get 6-8 glasses of water a day.:)
Scott, I agree 110% that habits are formed slowly (30 days sounds about right).

Weigh-in is tomorrow for me and it looks like I'll be up a couple of pounds from last week. I've maintained 242 for two weeks.

Chainsaw13
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I've maintained 242 for two weeks.

:tu

shilala
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Andy,one thing I noticed from this thread is that alcohol is a major diet enemy. I'm super-blessed, because I don't drink. I don't have that evening/weekend fun monkey on my back, ya know?
My sweet baby has been really watching her calories (not that she doesn't always) because she wants to lose a few pounds, I'm guessing. I don't think she needs to, she looks amazing, but she's gonna do what she's gonna do, ya know. :)
Anyways, she likes her wine in the evening/before bed, and she likes to get tuned up a bit at family day on Sundays. She has very much slowed down how much she drinks, and I haven't seen Bailey's in her coffee for a long, long time.
I wasn't making that point AT you, I'm just talking to you. Sorry, I should have said that, I'm making you out to be a drunk, lol. :D
Anyways, you'd mentioned a number of times in the past how bad the alcohol can sabotage a diet, and I just wanted to throw that recent personal experience out there to add some empirical evidence to your alcohol mentionings before I forgot about it. :tu

kgoings
05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey just started doing some workign out, and I am trying to eat better..not really a diet. But I do need to lose weight. I am doing the insanity workout, I really need someone to keep me accountable. Hopefully I can keep this up. I am 205 (5'8") with cholestoral around 300...my bp is great. Doc says the cholestoral is from being overweight.

Starscream
05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Andy,one thing I noticed from this thread is that alcohol is a major diet enemy. I'm super-blessed, because I don't drink. I don't have that evening/weekend fun monkey on my back, ya know?
My sweet baby has been really watching her calories (not that she doesn't always) because she wants to lose a few pounds, I'm guessing. I don't think she needs to, she looks amazing, but she's gonna do what she's gonna do, ya know. :)
Anyways, she likes her wine in the evening/before bed, and she likes to get tuned up a bit at family day on Sundays. She has very much slowed down how much she drinks, and I haven't seen Bailey's in her coffee for a long, long time.
I wasn't making that point AT you, I'm just talking to you. Sorry, I should have said that, I'm making you out to be a drunk, lol. :D
Anyways, you'd mentioned a number of times in the past how bad the alcohol can sabotage a diet, and I just wanted to throw that recent personal experience out there to add some empirical evidence to your alcohol mentionings before I forgot about it. :tu
100% correct, Scott (I may even be a drunk:r). I spent my spring break with the alcohol and got it out of my system for a while in order to stay on track. Had to have a bit of fun since I gave it up completely for 40+ days.
Hey just started doing some workign out, and I am trying to eat better..not really a diet. But I do need to lose weight. I am doing the insanity workout, I really need someone to keep me accountable. Hopefully I can keep this up. I am 205 (5'8") with cholestoral around 300...my bp is great. Doc says the cholestoral is from being overweight.

Cholesterol sucks, Kirk. Keep us updated on your progress.
What is the insanity workout?

kgoings
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Cholesterol sucks, Kirk. Keep us updated on your progress. What is the insanity workout?

Its one of those infomercials like the P90X but its 90% Cardio with exercises you do using your own body weight..no equipment. They call it Max interval training, interval training on roids.

Chainsaw13
05-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Kirk, what were your HDL and LDL?

Exercise is only one aspect to lowering your cholesterol. Diet is another. If you have a smartphone, look into a program that you can use to track your meals. I use CarbMaster for the Iphone since I need to track my carbs, but it tracks everything else. It's amazing to see what you're really eating once you start entering it in. Once you get an idea of where the bulk of your calories are coming from, you can make adjustments from there if necessary.

Starscream
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
243 today. Up one pound, which is about what I expected. Getting back to my routines starting today and my goal is to drop four this week. Staying focused is my primary objective this week.

shilala
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Keep us informed of your results and how it's all working out, will ya, Kirk?
If you find it works, even if you modify it, it may help other guys here. :tu

shilala
05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Just as I guessed, the 209 didn't last long. I had to eat yesterday, didn't have any choice. I didn't eat a lot, spread out small meals over the course of the day. Today I'll probably eat once around dinner and something late. The menu looks like rice and pop-tarts. :r
Mama comes home today, so she'll make me eat all kinds of stuff I don't want to eat until she has to leave for work again. I think we have to travel down to Washington on Friday, so we'll likely go out to eat. I've slowly stopped eating when we go out to eat, too, but I always get to try everyone else's stuff. :D

kgoings
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Kirk, what were your HDL and LDL?

Exercise is only one aspect to lowering your cholesterol. Diet is another. If you have a smartphone, look into a program that you can use to track your meals. I use CarbMaster for the Iphone since I need to track my carbs, but it tracks everything else. It's amazing to see what you're really eating once you start entering it in. Once you get an idea of where the bulk of your calories are coming from, you can make adjustments from there if necessary.

I let you know when I get tested again, not sure. I talked with the doc about what I ate, and he was pretty sure it was hereditary and weight related. I am trying to eat better...plus 1400mg of Fish Oil and 2400mg of Red Yeast Rice a day.

shilala
05-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Kirk, I can eat bacon, eggs and butter dipped steak 24/7, let my weight go, and my cholestorol stays great. Apparently that's hereditary, too? I never did understand that stuff, but Lisa made me get checked. When it was all good, she couldn't believe it. Me neither, really. :r

Chainsaw13
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I let you know when I get tested again, not sure. I talked with the doc about what I ate, and he was pretty sure it was hereditary and weight related. I am trying to eat better...plus 1400mg of Fish Oil and 2400mg of Red Yeast Rice a day.

I"m curious to hear how the RYR works for you. I've thought about taking it myself. Another good item to add is flax seed. Buy the whole seed and grind up in a spice grinder. I mixed some this morning with some natural peanut butter and bulgur wheat. Lots of protein, fiber and good fats.

Kirk, I can eat bacon, eggs and butter dipped steak 24/7, let my weight go, and my cholestorol stays great. Apparently that's hereditary, too? I never did understand that stuff, but Lisa made me get checked. When it was all good, she couldn't believe it. Me neither, really. :r

Sure Scott, rub it in. :r

shilala
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Sure Scott, rub it in. :r
It's a wasted talent, I don't eat any kind of meat at all anymore (because it all has so much potassium, and I can't have potassium).
You watch. My whole diet changed and next time I get tested my numbers will be off the charts and they'll wonder how I'm alive cause my cholesterol is so high. :r

kgoings
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM

How can I forget! And a glass of Red Wine every night...and sometimes a second glass if I smoke a cigar :tu

Trying to not drink beer..even though I love it! :(

Starscream
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
How can I forget! And a glass of Red Wine every night...and sometimes a second glass if I smoke a cigar :tu

Trying to not drink beer..even though I love it! :(

I would think one or two beers is better than one or two glasses of wine. Wine has more sugars, doesn't it?

I'm probably wrong, though.:)

Christiel49
05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Maybe you guys can keep me motivated! I have got to loose weight, and always seem short on time to put in exercise.

Anywho, mine is directly related to hormones (shots). And Candy!

kgoings
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I would think one or two beers is better than one or two glasses of wine. Wine has more sugars, doesn't it?

Red Wine is supposed to be good for your heart and cholestoral. Plus I drink wine MUCH slower than I drink beer...I drink beer like water.

Chainsaw13
05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Maybe you guys can keep me motivated! I have got to loose weight, and always seem short on time to put in exercise.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but get some type of program to track your daily food intake. It'll help point out if you're getting too many calories and what kind (carbs, protein, fat). That'll allow you to make any adjustments.

Also, a good digital kitchen scale to portion out your food. I used to be a dump a little of this, add a bit of that type of person when cooking. Amazing to think I would eat 2-3 times a normal serving size of pasta. Now it's the 2oz or less and bulk up on the veggies.

Right now my exercise routine is walking 2-3 miles 4-5 times a week. Since making these changes just a couple of months ago, I"m down ~20lbs (55lbs since I started my journey). It's easy and cheap.

shilala
05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Lisa saw this thread up here and asked me to tell you guys about myfooddiary.com (http://myfooddiary.com/).
It's a subscription service, and it does all kinds of stuff I wouldn't understand.
You can log on to it from anywhere, even from your smartphone (no app, but there's a mobile version).
It might be worth a look for you guys that track all these things, and definately for those who want to track their caloric intake, etc.

Chainsaw13
05-05-2011, 06:13 AM
245.6 this morning. Slowly but surely getting there.

shilala
05-05-2011, 06:55 AM

To add to what Kirk said, lots of doctors suggest a glass of RED wine in the evening. They attribute whatever is in wine to the almost non-existant incidence of heart disease in France. It really is good for you on all sorts of levels.
Beer is not good for you on any level. That's why we love it so much. :D

shilala
05-05-2011, 06:59 AM
245.6 this morning. Slowly but surely getting there.

I went to 208.8 this morning. I was totally shocked. I figured that 209.0 was just gonna be here for a second, which was true, but then it came right back. That's usually a sign that it's going to stick.
I started this whole mess at 250, and made it to 185 only to go back to about 223, so we'll see how it goes. I'm cautiously optimistic.

kgoings
05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Another day! Today was 'recovery day' RIIIIGHT mostly Yoga...that crap is hard!

I've been eating better, last night I went to Applebees and tried the guilt free menu, VERY good! And tonight I tried Taco Bells's diet menu..the Tacos were very good the burrito is filled with lettuce and tomato and not enough meat...all you tasted was tomato. Another friend at work is dieting too so we are going around trying the diet menus

Starscream
05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Another day! Today was 'recovery day' RIIIIGHT mostly Yoga...that crap is hard!

I've been eating better, last night I went to Applebees and tried the guilt free menu, VERY good! And tonight I tried Taco Bells's diet menu..the Tacos were very good the burrito is filled with lettuce and tomato and not enough meat...all you tasted was tomato. Another friend at work is dieting too so we are going around trying the diet menus

Be careful with Taco Bell. Fresco menu is much lower in calories but still loaded with sodium.

Chainsaw13
05-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Be careful with Taco Bell. Fresco menu is much lower in calories but still loaded with sodium.

And not all that low in fat either.

244.8 this morning for a unofficial weigh-in (normal weigh in days are Thursday mornings)

Starscream
05-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Will do! Welcome aboard.:tu
Lisa saw this thread up here and asked me to tell you guys about myfooddiary.com (http://myfooddiary.com/).
It's a subscription service, and it does all kinds of stuff I wouldn't understand.
You can log on to it from anywhere, even from your smartphone (no app, but there's a mobile version).
It might be worth a look for you guys that track all these things, and definately for those who want to track their caloric intake, etc.

Another site worth checking out is nutrimirror.com. It's free to use, tracks everything: calories, fat, fiber, carbs, sodium, etc...

shilala
05-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Another site worth checking out is nutrimirror.com. It's free to use, tracks everything: calories, fat, fiber, carbs, sodium, etc...
Thanks for that, Andy. :tu
I told Lisa and she's checking it out already.

shilala
05-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh, I meant to do my check-in, but I forget what my weight was this morning. It was under 210, so whatever it was, it was good. :D

I'm stoked that everyone is doing so well. It's nice to see it all going the right direction.
Kirk, it's a pain in the ass finding stuff you can eat. I deal with that every day. I've dealt with it so long, I just gave up. If I'm hungry, I eat some rice. Good thing is that I can have a candy bar whenever I want, as long as there's no nuts in it.
Yesterday I had two kinds of rice, a BLT, less than half of a burger, and two king size butterfingers, and tons of water and aquafina grape water.
Today I had a cup of coffee. I'm gonna go get a bottle of water and get to work. :tu

goalie204
05-06-2011, 11:11 AM
started doing the no/low carb thing again. It worked for me before like 12 years ago and i lost a lot of weight, but gained it all back. I'm approaching the end of the 2nd week and i've lost about 7 lbs so far, but i'm very unhappy because that was mostly in the first week, and now ive been stuck at the same weight for 4 days or so. I don't know if im eating too much salt, or if my body is just fighting the change super hard or what. I'm drinking a lot of water, and don't know wtf to do. I haven't given up tho.......yet ;/

Chainsaw13
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Keep with it Myles. Everyone usually sees that huge drop the first week or so. You're probably right about the body rebelling to the change. It's like, "Whoa, I'm not getting the carbs I used to, so better stock up on what I do get." But stick with it. Your body will adapt and you'll start to see the weight drop again. Just remember, you'll typically only lose 1-2 lbs a week on average. You may even go up. Just don't get discouraged as long as your seeing results over a period of time.

One thing Scott touched on was finding the right foods for you to eat. Unfortunately the word diet has taken on the wrong meaning in todays vernacular. You should look at your diet as a way of life, not just a short term change to achieve a goal. Find something you can stick to for the long haul, be it low carb, vegetarian, low-fat, eliminating processed foods, etc.

What type of exercise are you doing? I had sucess over the last two years and dropped 30lbs by just changing my diet. But in the last two months I added exerecise and dropped another 25lbs. And I feel a whole lot better. Was a great feeling to walk into the store and buy pants two sizes smaller.

Starscream
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Keep with it Myles. Everyone usually sees that huge drop the first week or so. You're probably right about the body rebelling to the change. It's like, "Whoa, I'm not getting the carbs I used to, so better stock up on what I do get." But stick with it. Your body will adapt and you'll start to see the weight drop again. Just remember, you'll typically only lose 1-2 lbs a week on average. You may even go up. Just don't get discouraged as long as your seeing results over a period of time.

Bob speaks the truth, Myles. Don't worry about it, just stick with your program and make them habits.

shilala
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Bob is right on the money, Myles.
I did the low-carb thing a couple times. I lost a lot of weight. Put it all right back on when I quit because I went right back to my old Twinkie and pepperoni diet.

I remember reading that there's a period where your body switches over from burning carbs to burning fat for your daily energy. The outfit that made up the low-carb diet even sells pee-strips so you can see when that happens. You're supposed to use these pee-strips on a certain basis to see if you're still burning fat, or if your cheating is catching up to you, or if you're doing something wrong.

Anyways, you have to have a plan for when this is done, otherwise it'll work out just like it did before for ya, and just like it did for me. The beauty is that it really works, and the more meat you eat the skinnier you get (based on how they say your body uses more energy to burn meat than what the meat provides).

Good luck, brother. Learn to love veggies that grow above ground. That's all the low carb stuff (except corn which isn't good for us at all, I guess). Fortunately for me, I love veggies. I just selfdom eat them.

Chainsaw13
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Fortunately for me, I love veggies. I just selfdom eat them.

:r:r:r

Starscream
05-06-2011, 01:37 PM
thanks

:confused:

shilala
05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
He's got an odd link in his sig. I sent the post in for the ToE to take a look. Yeah, it made no sense whatsoever.

shilala
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Lisa thought I didn't like veggies. Turns out that's why we never had them. :D

68TriShield
05-06-2011, 04:28 PM

bye bye to him. :)

shilala
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Good work, Boss. :tu

Starscream
05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Dave is on top of things.:tu

kgoings
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Keeping with it, I did eat a larger meal last night but I didnt go overboard. Today was probably the hardest workout so far. I started sweating much sooner and was soaked by the end.

shilala
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I bet that feels good, Kirk. Makes you feel like you're really getting the job done. :tu

kgoings
05-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Yea, I was wondering if that meant my body was changing modes from storing energy to burning it.

I am gonna do a weigh in on Wed. Tomorrow is 'Rest' day!! :wo

shilala
05-07-2011, 12:47 PM
You're probably right. At first your body was probably just confused, ya know? "what the heck is this guy doing to me, and what am I supposed to do about it?" lol

shilala
05-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Kirk, I asked Lisa (my wife) if she ever noticed what you were talking about. I figured she would cause she changes routines from the gym to running and back and forth. She said she didn't.
I noticed whenever I used to go to work in the heat, especially in powerhouses where it was super hot, it'd take awhile for my sweat machine to get going, sometimes a couple days. I'd be super uncomfortable till it kicked in, ya know?
Anyways, I asked just what you asked, and she said "prob-ab-ly". She just looked it up and found a quote that said "fit people's bodies cool off more efficiently."
So I think it's saying "You're on the right track, stud. Keep it up." :D
It probably makes sense that she never notices that halt in sweating, because she's super fit and never quits exercising. Makes sense.

shilala
05-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Just to get a triple dip in there, I was at 210.0 this morning. Andy so much enjoys my intestinal health reports, so he'll be glad to hear I worked out my bi-monthly all-morning poop today.
I started backing off two of my meds in hopes that I can get that normalized, and I'm taking small amounts of laxative in hopes that it'll help. When I see the doc next time, I'm going to ask to switch my pain meds, this stuff just isn't getting it done. It works, but it puts me to sleep all day, and I haven't pooped right for 6 or 8 months. I'm at my wit's end with it.

Chainsaw13
05-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I know I should'nt weigh in more than once a week, but it's hard not to when you see it going down. 243.2 this morning before my power walk. Did another 2.3mi in 34:11. Cut it short because I was feeling something in the plumbing. (There's another one for Andy).

Keep up the good work Kirk. I've had the precurser to P90x sitting on my desk for the longest time. I keep making excuses not to do it, especially now that it's nice out and I can get a good walk in. I should make starting it my next short term exercise goal. My CDE would be pleased.

Starscream
05-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Bob, that's the same weight as me.:tu
My mom and dad bought a bike for me at a yard sale this morning. I think I'm gonna put it to use tomorrow.
They got it for $20, but the owner (a doctor in town) bought it for some ungodly figure. It looks like a high quality racing bike (a Raleigh 12-speed) with some kind of straps and frames to lock your feet on the pedals. I'm gonna take those off before I attempt to ride it.

Starscream
05-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Just to get a triple dip in there, I was at 210.0 this morning. Andy so much enjoys my intestinal health reports, so he'll be glad to hear I worked out my bi-monthly all-morning poop today.
I started backing off two of my meds in hopes that I can get that normalized, and I'm taking small amounts of laxative in hopes that it'll help. When I see the doc next time, I'm going to ask to switch my pain meds, this stuff just isn't getting it done. It works, but it puts me to sleep all day, and I haven't pooped right for 6 or 8 months. I'm at my wit's end with it.

Bi-monthly? That must be a hell of a sh!t!

goalie204
05-08-2011, 06:19 AM
FINALLY BROKE THE CYCLE (hopefully) Not to be to graphic but i was running to the toilet a lot yesterday, and this is what i ate that broke my cycle and caused me a lot of pain! (it was lunch and dinner) - down another 2 lbs or so :D

and btw guys, the low carb thing i am doing IS a lifestyle, not a diet, carbs are useless for the human body (except those from some vegetables and leafy greens) unless you're very physically active. (and i sit at a desk all day) Also everyone is different, when two people eat the exact same meals, their bodies handle it differently. Pre-dispositions and stuff.

some are stuffed with pork sausage meat, and others with a mix of cream cheese, cheddar, fontina, and jarlsberg. Some wrapped in bacon some not

http://i.imgur.com/DyO31.jpg http://i.imgur.com/yW175.jpg]

Chainsaw13
05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Those look really good Myles.

goalie204
05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
oh they were!

Texan in Mexico
05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
You guys are awesome! The all-morning poop out is a classic. I have been traveling for a couple weeks and did a weigh-in today. I feel so much better, lots of definition in the legs.

It is very dissapointing that I am still around 250 lbs.

I know the whole switch off between muscle and fat blah, blah, blah but it did hit me like a failure today.

I am still too heavy to jog so today began doing yoga like I used to - hope to bring the weight down with some more cardio.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
05-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I already forgot what my weigh-in today was. Must not have been incredibly impressive?

Those jalapenos look incredible, Myles. Don't take the "lifestyle" comments too far out of perspective. I think we were more talking about simply eating one plate of jalapenos instead of three, and getting some exercise. Maybe veering away from the really bad foods as a desire rather than a necessity, ya know?
I'm certainly not becoming a vegan hairdresser anytime soon. Just trying to do stuff that I always knew I should be doing in the first place. I'm doing it because I like feeling better, and I'd like to stick around a bit longer, God willing.
If that amounts to stopping at a half box of Swiss Cake Rolls rather than two boxes, that's a step in the right direction. I'd like to hope that it's heading somewhere, ya know?
I know I certainly can't live without pasta and rice, I love it. The pasta is what killed me on the low carb diets. :D

goalie204
05-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Once you don't eat carbs, you don't miss them, and i don't miss them at all

Starscream
05-08-2011, 04:00 PM

I did low carb once and it worked, but I missed my popcorn, pasta, and potatoes.

Jalapenos looked awesome, Myles!:tu:dr

Chainsaw13
05-08-2011, 05:15 PM

I did low carb once and it worked, but I missed my popcorn, pasta, and potatoes.

Jalapenos looked awesome, Myles!:tu:dr

Same here as Andy. And pizza. That's my achilles heel. Finally broke down and had some last night for dinner. Tried something different for the crust to bring the overall carb count down. Equal parts (30g) of flaxseed meal, whole wheat flour and caputo 00 flour. Mixed with some salt, 1 egg and enough water to make into pancake batter consistency. Poured into 9" cake pan and par baked for 10mins @ 450F. Took out of the oven, flipped over the crust in the pan to let the other side crisp up, put on 1.5tbsp crushed tomatos, 2oz cheese and 1.5oz pepperoni. Put back in the oven for another 5-7 mins.

Overall, not a bad 1st effort. By my calculations, the overall carb count was 57 with 13g fiber, so a net of 44. The calorie count was high as well as the fat, but part of that's due to the flaxseed. But it has a lot of the good fats and fiber in it, so I"ll stick with that.

Found soy flour at the grocery store today. Next time I'm going to use that and cut back on the regular flour, plus use less water so the crust will crisp up more.

Chainsaw13
05-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Also Myles to echo what Scott said about the diet vs. lifestyle. Most people go on a diet hoping to lose weight and usually do, but then go back to their old ways only to gain the weight. What they fail to realize is it needs to be a lifestyle change. That's awesome you found low carb works for you. Keep up the good work and post some of your recipes if you don't mind. After being diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic, I"ve had to cut way back on the carbs. I limit myself to 150g net a day, less if I can help it. Been doing this for 2.5 months now and loving it. I eat quite well still, but just a lot less carbs.

shilala
05-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I quit taking my purple pills today and I finally ate. I just had a bot of this and that, but I didn't get sick and all the food was awesome.
It was an awesome family day, as it always is. :tu

goalie204
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
i don't have recipes persay, i just do whatever ;P

Starscream
05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Evening guys. I took a two mile ride on the bike today. Not much effort, but it was fun.

Starscream
05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Another weekend of eating a bit much (not crazy or anything) and being lazy. I guess I can expect a gain again this week.:td

I know I've said it enough, but I gotta get back in my groove. Too many late night events lately with baseball/softball/school. Plus it's hard to get back into the swing of things after a week's vacation. I spent this past week half-assing everything.

Reading everyone's posts on making good habits is what I needed today.

Chainsaw13
05-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Yea, coming back from vacation is tough. You'll get back into the swing in no time.

Starscream
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Yea, coming back from vacation is tough. You'll get back into the swing in no time.

I've been back from vacation for over a week...:r

shilala
05-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I was 209.something this morning. After eating like a madman yesterday (which really didn't amount to anything), I'm back to not being hungry today. I'll probably have leftover noodles for dinner.
I'm super lazy today. I threw the football to the kids for a good stretch yesterday, and paid for it pretty good last night. Not real bad though, so that's awesome.
The weight loss added with getting busier and busier at a slow pace is working real well. I'll get off my ass and try to get to work in the garage a little bit later after I rest up some more. If I can get out and get some lumber, that'd be great. I need to cut the grass, too. That'll get me moving and help me burn off my yesterday. :D

Chainsaw13
05-09-2011, 12:47 PM

I've been back from vacation for over a week...:r

I guess not. :r:r:r

Starscream
05-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Tomorrow is weigh-in day. Fingers crossed, but still expecting a gain of at least one pound.

Chainsaw13
05-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Use today to get your "last chance workout" in. I'd hate to see you go below the yellow line and get sent home. :r

shilala
05-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Uh-oh. Our leader is gonna smoke out on us.
Andy, sleep with all your tshirts on, and put on a big green garbage bag over that. You'll make weight. :tu

Starscream
05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Use today to get your "last chance workout" in. I'd hate to see you go below the yellow line and get sent home. :r
Will do.:tu
Uh-oh. Our leader is gonna smoke out on us.
Andy, sleep with all your tshirts on, and put on a big green garbage bag over that. You'll make weight. :tu

I'm not out, just a short sabbatical. Eating habits are good again, I'm just not exercising. I will be sure to do so today, although that's probably gonna ensure that I gain for the week (retaining water for the muscles to recover).

If I don't report back by tomorrow saying that I got in a workout, neg rep me. And I don't mean riding a bike or some half-ass work. I mean a full workout, such as my NFL Training Camp cardio workout. Something that will work up a real sweat.

shilala
05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Andy, you could also lose a good 10 pounds by lopping off your head. That's a bit extreme, I admit, but probably not as extreme as an NFL Training Camp Cardio.

Starscream
05-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Andy, you could also lose a good 10 pounds by lopping off your head. That's a bit extreme, I admit, but probably not as extreme as an NFL Training Camp Cardio.

I actually enjoy it. It's on the Wii (sounds like a joke, but it will kick your @$$).

Chainsaw13
05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone else go through one of those periods where not matter what or how much of something you eat, you're still hungry? I just had a lunch of pasta with homemade meat sauce, then a bowl of cottage cheese with some strawberrys on it. That was about an hour ago and I'm still hungry. Was that way last night even after having some beef jerky and cashews. It'll usually pass after a day or two, but just weird.

Starscream
05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Anyone else go through one of those periods where not matter what or how much of something you eat, you're still hungry? I just had a lunch of pasta with homemade meat sauce, then a bowl of cottage cheese with some strawberrys on it. That was about an hour ago and I'm still hungry. Was that way last night even after having some beef jerky and cashews. It'll usually pass after a day or two, but just weird.

I'm in one of those periods right now. Just during the middle of the day, though. I'm full after dinner every evening.

shilala
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Absolutely.
I try to dump at least 24oz. of water in me when I eat. That seems to make dinner stick way better. It'll make the hungry go away too. Go give it a try. :tu

Chainsaw13
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
You know, come to think of it I didn't drink as much water yesterday as usual. i went home from work early not feeling well and crashed on the couch. I've had some today as well, but again not as much as normal. Off to the drinking fountain to fill my cup.

shilala
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
You know, come to think of it I didn't drink as much water yesterday as usual. i went home from work early not feeling well and crashed on the couch. I've had some today as well, but again not as much as normal. Off to the drinking fountain to fill my cup.
Ya know how we like to eat till we're so full we think we're gonna die? I think that over-full feeling must stay lurking in the back of our heads or something. Maybe we need it for some reason, heck, I don't know.
A big sloshing belly isn't quite the same as eating four turkey dinners in a row, but for whatever reason it satisfies me. :sh
Most often I don't need to do it, but when I'm in "eat till I feel like I'm gonna explode" mode, I grab the water bottle. I eat as much as I can, drink that water, and that weird desire passes.
Whatever works, right? :tu

Starscream
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Sometimes when I'm hungry, I get a cup of coffee. Most of the time it fills me up.

kgoings
05-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Still going strong, gonna weigh in tomorrow! I dont feel much different. :(

Starscream
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Keep that positive mentality, Kirk.:tu

shilala
05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Still going strong, gonna weigh in tomorrow! I dont feel much different. :(
Kirk, I only ever lost at a rate of 1.6 lbs a week, max. That's not much reward for lots of work. Do some math and see what you're up against, then add room for failure.
Mind ya, I was at 250 when I was losing at that rate. I think it's around 1.2 lbs a week now.
Don't think about it much, or it'll drive you nuts. Make it something like putting gas in the car and taking out the trash. It really isn't all that much work, and there's not much reward, but if you don't put the trash out for a year or two, you got a big problem. :D
I like to think of "not eating" as doing something, when in fact, it's doing nothing. So I can't even act like that's part of the drill, right?
Getting active is action, and that counts. Avoiding certain foods and eating less really doesn't count, cause it's not an action, it's an absense of action. So I can't even expect a reward for doing nothing, right? Despite that, it still comes. That's a nice bonus. :D
I guess it's all how you look at it, ya know?
I only say that stuff to help make it easier on you. The easier it is, the better. There's real good reason why everyone aren't (isn't?) trying to get skinny.

shilala
05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Sometimes when I'm hungry, I get a cup of coffee. Most of the time it fills me up.
I love coffee. I had a couple cups this morning. Real people wouldn't consider it coffee cause it's all watered down with lots of milk. It doesn't settle well with my meds, and makes me half sick, and I avoid food, so I use it as a tool. I'll take anything that helps. :D

goalie204
05-10-2011, 04:45 PM
i am barely ever hungry any more. Eating carbs makes you crave carbs, and since i dropped them, i get satisfied from a meal more easily, and have 0 cravings, and don't get hungry much

Starscream
05-10-2011, 08:34 PM
If I don't report back by tomorrow saying that I got in a workout, neg rep me. And I don't mean riding a bike or some half-ass work. I mean a full workout, such as my NFL Training Camp cardio workout. Something that will work up a real sweat.

No neg rep for me.:tg

I did it and I'm dead. I haven't done this workout in over two weeks (or any for that matter). Sucks to come back to find out I have made it to Phase II of the 60 day workout plan. That meant it was stepped up a notch, even though my body was not ready for it due to the long break.

My legs are gonna hurt tomorrow due to the 100+ squats I did tonight.:td

Guys, rip me a new one when I say I'm taking a day off from working out. It sucks getting back into the groove. Easier to stay on the truck than to try to jump back on when it's moving down the road.:sl

kgoings
05-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I am going to Long Beach Thurs and Friday...I am taking my DVD's with me..I'll do my insanity workout in the hotel room :r

Starscream
05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I am going to Long Beach Thurs and Friday...I am taking my DVD's with me..I'll do my insanity workout in the hotel room :r

Take it from me: that is a good plan. Don't take a break just b/c you are on vacation. I just learned the hard way.:r

Starscream
05-11-2011, 06:32 AM
So I got my workout in yesterday and today I was surprised to find myself weighing in back down at 242! I was sure to have gained this past week. I actually lost a pound to get back to my pre-spring break weight.:tu

jonumberone
05-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Good Morning Fella's :)

I've decided I need to lose weight and was hoping to get involved here.
Last week I took my 2yr old daughter down to Disney for the first time.
I was exhausted halfway through day 1.
Now I'm sure Disney and all its Magic has bested better men than me, but it still got me down.
The trip caused me to feel depressed about my weight and overall physical capabilities for the first time since my teenage years.
I've always been a big guy, and just grew to accept it.

I really don't know where to begin.
I'm going to start by eating better and see where it gets me.
The biggest obstacle to my weight loss will be my job.
At work you can't get more sedentary than me.
I sit in what amounts to a 3' X 4' box for a minimum of 16hrs a day and usually more than that.
And the work is tedious, which leads to munching for no other reason than "I'm Bored".
I tipped the scales at 280 after I got back from Florida.

Thanks for listening Fellas :tu

shilala
05-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Glad to see you aboard, Dom!!! :tu
My diet amounts to "don't eat much", and that works. I don't sit in a cube though, and I have no ideas for you. I'd munch through the boredom, but I chew snuff. I'd suggest chewing snuff, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone, cause once it's got ya, it's got ya for life.
I eat total sh1t and Lisa always dogs me about it. I lose weight cause I don't eat much. I drink TONS of water. There's something you could add. That and sugarless gum. Both things would cut into your caloric intake real hard.
How you'll work in some exercise is beyond me. All your waking hours that aren't sleep would have to be active. My old lady says "if you have time to watch tv, you have time to exercise". I wish she'd find a nice way to put it. :r
You're gonna be tough to help, but the beauty of having so much extra weight is that it's super easy to lose a lot, fast. Mind ya, fast is about 1.5 pounds a week.
The guys will have some good suggestions. If they don't, a good solid snuff, crank, or cocaine habit could do wonders. :tu

Starscream
05-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome Dom and good luck!:tu

Don't know where to begin? There's plenty of info out there, which can be overwhelming when you first start out. My suggestion would be to find a site or program where you can track what you eat. Saying that you are just going to eat better can be disastrous for many (at least when starting out).

My biggest suggestions for you for starting out:

Track what you eat (you can find many examples of places where you can do this online in this thread WeightWatchers/Nutrimirror/other places)

Start exercising: you don't have to start out hardcore, just walking around the block everyday or riding a bike is a start

Drink plenty of water.

Stay focused. If results don't go the way you think they ought to, keep on trying anyway.

Once again, good luck. If you need any advice, support, or help, that's what this thread is for.:tu

Starscream
05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
The guys will have some good suggestions. If they don't, a good solid snuff, crank, or cocaine habit could do wonders. :tu

shilala
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
208.2 this morning, guys.

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Welcome Dom and good luck!:tu

Don't know where to begin? There's plenty of info out there, which can be overwhelming when you first start out. My suggestion would be to find a site or program where you can track what you eat. Saying that you are just going to eat better can be disastrous for many (at least when starting out).

My biggest suggestions for you for starting out:

Track what you eat (you can find many examples of places where you can do this online in this thread WeightWatchers/Nutrimirror/other places)

Start exercising: you don't have to start out hardcore, just walking around the block everyday or riding a bike is a start

Drink plenty of water.

Stay focused. If results don't go the way you think they ought to, keep on trying anyway.

Once again, good luck. If you need any advice, support, or help, that's what this thread is for.:tu

I second Andrew's recommendations, especially the logging of your food intake and drinking water.

I'd also suggest that if you don't already, bring your lunches from home. YOu can control much easier what you're eating. Invest in a good kitchen scale to weigh out your portions. If you don't already eat veggies, learn to love them. They're non-caloric dense food, so you can eat larger volumes without taking in that many calories.

For snacks, 1oz of cashews, almonds or peanuts will go a long way, plus they're full of the good unsaturated fats. Beef Jerky is another good snack item. Low in fat, high in protein. Unfortunately usually very high in sodium, so stick to 1oz at a time.

I"m trying to remember the name of the exercises that use body resistance. in such a small area, you should be able to get away with doing those.

208.2 this morning, guys.

Good job Scott! :tu

jonumberone
05-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome Gents!

Andy, I like the idea and I'm going to try and track the calories I eat.
On the weekends I'll try and get a little exercise in, this may only amount to me pulling my daughter around the block in her red wagon, but it is more than I am doing now.
Usually when the weekend rolls around, I'm shot.
You have no Idea how exhausting doing nothing at work all week is!

I will keep you posted on my progress and look to help in any way I can :tu

Thanks again!

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
One thing to get started would be to see how much you're eating currently, without making any adjustments.

Track for a few days or so your intake and use that to set a goal for your new daily caloric intake. Check out http://nutritiondata.self.com/ as a great site to get the nutritional info of most foods, including restaurants.

Once you've established a baseline, set a goal you can stick with. Say you're taking in 3000 cals a day now, shoot for 2500. The worst thing you could to is try to go whole hog and get down to 1800 cals/day right off the bat. You're body will revolt, you'll be miserable, hungry all the time. You'd be surprised at how much impact little changes can make.

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Just thought of this for exercising at work, how about a resistance band in your area. Use it to do whatever exercise the space will allow.

shilala
05-11-2011, 09:09 AM
A resistance band is a great idea, but make sure you get a full set of exercises on the net or from a Physical Therapist. Working one set of muscles can screw up your joints but good. Take it from a knot-head who did just that. :D
Someone in the thread was looking for a set of low-impact resistance exercises on the internet, anyone remember who it was? Maybe I was imagining it?

Dom, if you decide to use it, and you can't find anything, I'm sure my wife knows where to get a plan. There's bands in the basement so she must have used them at one time.

kgoings
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Weighed in this morning, 196.2. A bit disappointed but that probably comes from my background as a wrestler...the only way I have ever lost weight was crash dieting and dropping 10+ pounds in a couple days. I'll keep at it

Starscream
05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Weighed in this morning, 196.2. A bit disappointed but that probably comes from my background as a wrestler...the only way I have ever lost weight was crash dieting and dropping 10+ pounds in a couple days. I'll keep at it

That's about nine pounds in 8 days, isn't it, Kirk? Sounds like awesome progress to me.:tu

kgoings
05-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Yea I guess I should be happy that I am just sticking to it. I was hoping for 190

shilala
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Yea I guess I should be happy that I am just sticking to it. I was hoping for 190
I did the "make weight for wrestling" thing, too. That's not what you're shooting for, Kirk.
If you remember, that weight started coming right back the minute you got off the weigh-in scale for the tournament, because that's what you wanted. You hydrated and ate and put on as much weight as you could throughout the tournament.
That's not what you want here at all. You're gonna stall real soon, then weight will come off real slow. I'm just telling you so you don't get let down and give up.
Think of how long it took you to put on the weight. Then figure out what you want to lose. Then get a calculator out and figure a loss of about 1.2 lbs. a week. (If you were a lot heavier, you'd figure 1.6 or 1.8 lbs./week.)
See where you should be in a month and make damn sure you meet that goal. Then see what your next month goal should be, and make damn sure you met that, and so on.
I think Andy started this thread over 2 years ago and there aren't a lot of guys who stuck it out. It's easier to stick it out with realistic, proven goals.
All b1tching aside, you're kicking ass, my brother!!! :tu

goalie204
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
replace food with cigars :)

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
replace food with cigars :)

:tu

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Tomorrow is my weighin day. I've been hovering around that 242.2-242.6 mark all week as my low points of the day. I have class until 7pm tonight and won't get home until close to 8pm. Not sure if I can get in one last power walk. Hoping for the 241's.

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
One good news is from all my exercising and such is my blood sugar has stabilized big time. Averaging around 100-110 for my two readings of the day. Before I was in the 190's.

Starscream
05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I think Andy started this thread over 2 years ago and there aren't a lot of guys who stuck it out.

You didn't have to bring that up, Scott.

:lv

:D

I started it two years ago and I've stalled out plenty of times. But this time I'm pretty much sticking to it and I've shown the most progress over the last 7 months that I have in the past two years.:tu

shilala
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Andy, I went from 250 to 185 to 223 down to 208 again.
This time I righted a bunch of stuff that has beat me in the past, and I'm not "suffering through a diet".
For instance, my new stepdaughter just asked if I wanted a Pulp Coolada smoothie. Normally I'd have two just cause they were available. I said no cause I don't want one right now, I just had a bottle of grape water. If I want one later, I can always go get one.
To most people that sounds like common sense. It's all new to me. :r

kgoings
05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I did the "make weight for wrestling" thing, too. That's not what you're shooting for, Kirk.
If you remember, that weight started coming right back the minute you got off the weigh-in scale for the tournament, because that's what you wanted. You hydrated and ate and put on as much weight as you could throughout the tournament.
That's not what you want here at all. You're gonna stall real soon, then weight will come off real slow. I'm just telling you so you don't get let down and give up.
Think of how long it took you to put on the weight. Then figure out what you want to lose. Then get a calculator out and figure a loss of about 1.2 lbs. a week. (If you were a lot heavier, you'd figure 1.6 or 1.8 lbs./week.)
See where you should be in a month and make damn sure you meet that goal. Then see what your next month goal should be, and make damn sure you met that, and so on.
I think Andy started this thread over 2 years ago and there aren't a lot of guys who stuck it out. It's easier to stick it out with realistic, proven goals.
All b1tching aside, you're kicking ass, my brother!!! :tu

Yea I know how its supposed to work, but after wrestling for 20 years...you have that built in mentality that weight should come off faster. I know in my head its coming off right...its the little wrestler devil on my shoulder saying THATS IT! RUN FOOL RUN!

kgoings
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
We should put a list together of who is 'doing it' and try to help keep each other accountable. If you dont see someone check in for a bit, PM them see hows it going..

What do you think?

goalie204
05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
i was frustrated that the weight wasn't coming off as fast as i wanted, but the measuring tape is proving success ;)

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
We should put a list together of who is 'doing it' and try to help keep each other accountable. If you dont see someone check in for a bit, PM them see hows it going..

What do you think?

Might be worth it. ONly not sure how much popping in I"ll be doing the next few weeks. Heading to Buenos Aires for work.

kgoings
05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Man I am really struggling today. I just want to chow down! I usually eat dinner at 7pm I ate today at 5:30 cause I couldnt take it anymore. I am eating the same stuff I have, but I am freaking starving today. :(

I am drinking tons of water, but no help.

shilala
05-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Man I am really struggling today. I just want to chow down! I usually eat dinner at 7pm I ate today at 5:30 cause I couldnt take it anymore. I am eating the same stuff I have, but I am freaking starving today. :(

I am drinking tons of water, but no help.
Keep drinking water and make a big bowl of popcorn. That'll keep you entertained and the calories aren't bad, and it gives your face a good workout. It's good for tricking yourself into thinking you ate the buffet, and it won't hurt nothin. :tu

shilala
05-11-2011, 07:03 PM
One good news is from all my exercising and such is my blood sugar has stabilized big time. Averaging around 100-110 for my two readings of the day. Before I was in the 190's.
That's just plain awesome, Bob. :tu
Super bonus right there, I bet you didn't see that coming, did ya?
Lots of good stuff happened today, but that's easily the best news I heard all day. :)

Chainsaw13
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Not at all Scott. I knew it would come down but I didn't figure that much.

Starscream
05-11-2011, 07:48 PM

What do you think?

Works for me.:tu Good idea.

Chainsaw13
05-12-2011, 05:32 AM
242.6 this morning. I was hoping for more, but I'll take it. Still going in the right direction.

shilala
05-12-2011, 05:36 AM

Starscream
05-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Tied with me again, Bob.:tu

Last night was a rough night. I was at the ballpark until 9pm. Too late to make supper when I got home, so we got a large pizza from Domino's at the ballpark for $5. Also got some Cheeto's and popcorn. Felt like a junk food day, but I didn't go over my daily allowance. Also no workout yesterday b/c of soreness from the previous one. I guess yesterday was my rest day.

shilala
05-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Same way here, Andy. We had a ball game till late, picked up a pizza, and I ate 4 pieces. All I had before that was a pb&j, so I was way good, but I wasn't even hungry once the pizza got here. I could have took a pass, but I needed to eat.
I worked my ass off all day out in the sun, so I definately needed to eat. The pizza was freakin delish, too. :tu
No Cheetos or popcorn at the park, just water. Lisa brought a cooler.

Starscream
05-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Busy days and evenings can hurt progress. Sucks when you get home and it's too late to cook supper.

mfarre03
05-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Started the HCG diet Monday, starting weight 422, 416 as of today. We shall see how this will go. The only other diet I have ever tried is weight watchers, which I did well on but it seems like after losing 40 lbs I always go back to eating badly. Good luck to everyone!!

Starscream
05-12-2011, 06:56 AM
What's the HCG diet, Mike? 8lbs in three days? Awesome!:tu Keep it up!

mfarre03
05-12-2011, 07:24 AM
http://www.yourhcg.com/

I didn't know what it was either but I found out my mother and sister in law have both been on it for over a month now. Basically its a strict 500 cal diet that you stay on for atleast 6 weeks and you take 6 drops of HCG under your tongue 6 times a day. Of course without the HCG a 500 cal diet wouldn't work very well but with the HCG it makes your body use up the fat that you already have stored. While on this diet your not suppose to lose any muscle mass and all the weight will come from your stored fat. I am using it to basically kick start my ass before I go back to a better way of eating, more like weight watchers. There is a ton of info on HCG from the net. I can say that so far, I don't really feel hungry. I do however still crave food that I shouldn't eat, LOL but I'm getting older now and the weight is starting to get heavy even though I'm 6'8".

shilala
05-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard, Mike!!! :tu
We'll be behind you all the way. Take time to sift back a few pages. We're like broken records, and there's some great tips that you can use to help keep from going nuts while you're getting started. There's tips to help on down the road, too.
Keep us updated as much as you can stand. :)

Starscream
05-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Welcome aboard, Mike!!! :tu
We'll be behind you all the way. Take time to sift back a few pages. We're like broken records, and there's some great tips that you can use to help keep from going nuts while you're getting started. There's tips to help on down the road, too.
Keep us updated as much as you can stand. :)

^^^This.

It's a long thread, but if you take a few minutes and read the whole thing, you will find a bunch of useful info, not to mention a lot of ups and downs from different CA members.

Texan in Mexico
05-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Good morning all!

Bob - congrats on the progress! Thats awesome!

Dom - welcome to the show, this is a great group and has been a big help to me. Lots of encouragement and help. Andrew is spot on about the water - I drink too much Diet Coke / Pepper and it really affects the body. Drinking more and more water helps in so many ways.

I like the PM idea ALOT!

Best of luck to all.
Posted via Mobile Device

jonumberone
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the welcome Travis :tu

Andy I like the Idea of reading about the ups and downs.
I only read back a few pages, but will read the whole thread when I start to get demoralized.
Actually got in some exercise yesterday.
I was moving furniture, so I'm calling it exercise in my book :D

Congrats on the progress Bob :tu

Chainsaw13
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. Looking back at the app I use to track all my stuff, i'm down 3lbs for the week. Great feeling to go down another belt notch on the new belt I just bought last month because the old one was too big. Got 2 more holes to go before I have to break out the drill or buy another new one.

Drinking water can really affect your appetite. I hadn't kept up on it the last couple of days and would get hunger pangs throughout the day, even as soon as a hour after eating a meal. Now that I'm back up to over 10 glasses a day, the hunger pangs are diminished.

goalie204
05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
fck im pissed off, going to switch to once a week weigh ins, cuz im ****ing mad after seeing numbers up 1lb today which makes no sense to me f$ck sh1t #$((!#$

Starscream
05-12-2011, 10:50 AM
fck im pissed off, going to switch to once a week weigh ins, cuz im ****ing mad after seeing numbers up 1lb today which makes no sense to me f$ck sh1t #$((!#$

You weigh in everyday or how often? Although I peek most every day, the only one that concerns me is the weekly weigh-in. Turn that anger into positive focus, Myles.

Chainsaw13
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
You way in everyday or how often. Although I peek most every day, the only one that concerns me is the weekly weigh-in. Turn that anger into positive focus, Myles.

:tpd:

goalie204
05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
every morning, but im going to stop now and just go to sundays.

mfarre03
05-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I have to weigh everyday and keep a record, not use to that, usually once a week does it.
Down to 413, crazy!

Chainsaw13
05-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Keep it up Mike and Myles.

Starscream
05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
You'll be down below 400 before you know it, Mike. Keep it up!

Starscream
05-13-2011, 06:30 AM
I feel better today, so I'll be sure to workout this evening. My thighs have been sore over the last two days from all those squats from Tuesday evening. Spaghetti legs suck.

Chainsaw13
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Shlould've waited until today for my weigh-in, 241.2. And with the way my system's been cleaning itself out, I may be below 240.

jonumberone
05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
I ran home for dinner on my break and managed to get in a brisk 20 min walk with the dog and baby in tow.

I'm finding that tracking calories may be a little too tedious for me.
Gonna stick with it and see if I can push through.
Getting excited about my first weigh in on Sunday.

jonumberone
05-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Shlould've waited until today for my weigh-in, 241.2. And with the way my system's been cleaning itself out, I may be below 240.

Fingers crossed for ya!! :gl

Chainsaw13
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I ran home for dinner on my break and managed to get in a brisk 20 min walk with the dog and baby in tow.

I'm finding that tracking calories may be a little too tedious for me.
Gonna stick with it and see if I can push through.
Getting excited about my first weigh in on Sunday.

Keep up the good work. Every little bit helps. :tu

Starscream
05-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Didn't get in my workout today, but worked up a sweat preparing for the yard sale in the garage today. Walked 1/4 mile after dropping the lawnmower off at my parents house, then rode the bike for about 3/4 of a mile putting up yard sale signs. Food was minimal but I drank about 1/2 a fifth of bourbon. Calorie high.

Texan in Mexico
05-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Morning all, had something odd happen yesterday. I have laying off the sweets - Thursday was the gf b-day and I didn't have any cake. She took 90% of it to work to share and yesterday I had a small piece and it gave me a raging headache, I am good today but it ended my day. Maybe sugar shock?
Posted via Mobile Device

hscmit
05-14-2011, 08:42 AM
dom, spark people is pretty easy for calorie counting, and it is a free mobile app.

Starscream
05-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Morning all, had something odd happen yesterday. I have laying off the sweets - Thursday was the gf b-day and I didn't have any cake. She took 90% of it to work to share and yesterday I had a small piece and it gave me a raging headache, I am good today but it ended my day. Maybe sugar shock?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's probably what happened. I don't eat ice cream like I used to when I was little, but when I do I get a bit of a headache from it, and I'm not talking about "brain freeze" headaches.
dom, spark people is pretty easy for calorie counting, and it is a free mobile app.

Dom, I would also suggest that you track for at least a week just to get used to it. If at the end of the week, you still find it a nuisance, then maybe you can go about measuring you food intake by another method.

shilala
05-14-2011, 09:19 AM
207.6 today. This 200's thing was tough to get to, but it's going real well. It's probably because I've been moving pretty much nonstop since the weather broke. It's causing me to get into pretty decent shape, but slowly.

Chainsaw13
05-14-2011, 09:51 AM
207.6 today. This 200's thing was tough to get to, but it's going real well. It's probably because I've been moving pretty much nonstop since the weather broke. It's causing me to get into pretty decent shape, but slowly.

:tu Nice work Scott.

I hit the 230's this morning. Ok, 239.8, but I'm pumped. Was hoping to get another walk in before my flight today, but the weather's not cooperating.

shilala
05-14-2011, 10:02 AM

I hit the 230's this morning. Ok, 239.8, but I'm pumped. Was hoping to get another walk in before my flight today, but the weather's not cooperating.
It's nice breaking those barriers, even if they go away for a couple days. Ya just know they're gonna be here to stay for awhile in just a few days. Then in no time you're waiting for the next one. :D

Starscream
05-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Looks like I've got some catching up to do.:tu

jonumberone
05-14-2011, 11:25 AM
You guys are killing it :tu

Not a week in and I caved already :td
3 burgers for lunch, was going to have 1 but the other two were calling to me.
As the week has progressed the hunger pains have gotten worse.
Was ready to eat my chair at work last night.
Managed to settle the urge with a banana.

It's looking like my best shot to get to 240 like you guys is to amputate my leg.
I figure it weighs at least 40 lbs :D

Going to do a rotisserie Turkey breast for dinner with grilled veggies.
Hopefully that will make me feel better about my awful lunch!

Starscream
05-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Dinner sounds good, Dom.:tu

You guys are all motivating me. I don't want to fall behind in this one, so I put in over an hour on the NFL Training Camp today. I pushed hard and was entertained as well. Wide Receiver challenges suck, even if it is a bit fun. Run my ass off!

shilala
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
You guys are killing it :tu

Not a week in and I caved already :td
3 burgers for lunch, was going to have 1 but the other two were calling to me.
As the week has progressed the hunger pains have gotten worse.
Was ready to eat my chair at work last night.
Managed to settle the urge with a banana.

It's looking like my best shot to get to 240 like you guys is to amputate my leg.
I figure it weighs at least 40 lbs :D

Going to do a rotisserie Turkey breast for dinner with grilled veggies.
Hopefully that will make me feel better about my awful lunch!
How much water are you drinking, Dom?
I'll tell ya, my first go around I couldn't drink regular water. I relied on Aquafina Grape water. It has a lot of flavor and fooled my brain into thinking I ate.
You absolutely have to drink tons of water. A 12 pack of Aquafina grape a day was not uncommon for me. Right this second there are two 24oz. bottles in front of me on the desk, and at least one or two in the garage where I'm working.
That's a very small change that has HUGE impact. All the guys will agree 100%, and it's a very simple thing to do.

Rotisserie turkey and veggies on the grill sounds awesome. :D
We're having steaks, alfredo and broccoli. :tu

Starscream
05-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Another way to get rid of hunger pains is to have snacks available that are healthy. Take fruit with you to work. Hungry? Eat a banana, apple, or orange. Still hungry? Eat another. Don't kill the burgers. Almonds and pistachios are decent nuts to eat that aren't too fatty, just don't go overboard. Fruit, fruit, and more fruit.

Also Dom, how many meals a day do you eat? I don't practice what I'm saying, but if you eat 5 smaller meals a day rather than the usual three, then you might stop those hunger cravings.

jonumberone
05-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I usually drink 4 bottles a day.
Gonna have to up that.
I also drink about 96 oz of coffee a day, figure that needs to be cut back.

Andy, I wish I could have snacks laying around, even healthy ones.
Problem is I would eat them all.
On one previous diet I brought bags and bags of fruit with me to snack on.
One bad day I ate 14 oranges.
Sometimes I'm that hungry. :sh

Starscream
05-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Gonna have to up that.

Andy, I wish I could have snacks laying around, even healthy ones.
Problem is I would eat them all.

Maybe it's just mental. You gotta overcome your hunger? Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in and help you out.

Starscream
05-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Did you lose weight doing that? If you did, don't knock it.

jonumberone
05-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Maybe it's just mental. You gotta overcome your hunger? Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in and help you out.

I'm sure you're right.
Just gotta find a way to push through!

Starscream
05-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't give up yet, Dom. It takes a while sometimes to figure out what works best for you and how to get into routines. Losing weight is 90% mental, 10% work ethic. You can't have the work ethic w/o the mental dedication. That's been my struggle over the years.

Starscream
05-14-2011, 05:40 PM
For those struggling, check out this blog site from the Charlotte Observer:

http://cltbiggestlosers.blogspot.com/

Two of the three weightlosers have had success, yet Melissa has struggled greatly, which is 100% due to her mental state.

Maybe this will encourage some; for the rest, please drop a line/make a comment on Melissa's blogposts to encourage her. I don't know her personally, but her blogs hit home b/c of her mental struggles.

jonumberone
05-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Not giving up this time :tu
Still excited about tomorrows weigh in. :)

mfarre03
05-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I noticed since I have started this HCG diet that I'm not hungry but I still crave food. I haven't cheated but for some reason I look around thinking I'm forgetting to eat or something. Its so damn mental, LOL. Good luck guys, keep it up!!

Fordman4ever
05-15-2011, 07:46 AM
I totally went off my diet this weekend. My folks and brother are in town and I smoked 2 huge racks of ribs yesterday. They were sooooooooooo good, but had lots of fat on them. most of it cooked off in the smoker but there was still some left when they were done. anyway, monday starts my protein and veggie diet with some carbs thrown in there somewhere. seems to work pretty good for me.

jonumberone
05-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Well my first weigh in has me pegged at 273.8
Seems like a lot for one week, but my weight fluctuates between 275 and 280.
So I'm satisfied that the result isn't an unhealthy one.

I also managed 45 min on my wifes Wii Fit.
Now I know it's not the same as going to the gym, but when I was done, I was sweating like a whore in church.
Every little bit helps, right?
If I totaled up the calories it said I burned it put me at 250, which is what I had for breakfast.
Plus when I was done I needed to chug 2 bottles of water :tu

shilala
05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Gonna have to up that.

Yes sir, definately up the water.
Caffiene will make you eat the legs off your chair, man. I drink half-caff then water it down if I have any at all. That was a tough one to give up. I LOVE coffee.
It just makes my guts grind and I gotta eat, no matter what.
I don't think it's "in your head" at all. It's just habits. Shut the coffee off and replace it with water just for one day and see what happens, will ya?
I'm really interested to see if it's doing to you what it did to me.
(I'd eat two boxes of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls and three pots of coffee before lunch.) :D
I just wanna see if the pangs leave. You'll probably eat because of habit, cause that's what we do. I just wanna see if you notice a change, ya follow?