PDA

View Full Version : Being a Hockey Parent

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

E.J.
08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
So this post has 2 parts.....

First.... The Little Man went away from Eagle gloves.... Don't know why this is disappointing to me, but it is all the same. He has had a pair on since he was 7 and now TPS.... Like always, I tell him, fit and function is key....and tossed him what was sure to be his next gloves(Eagle PPF's). Told him to try on a few pair of gloves while I chased his sister around, who was trying on every piece of equipment in the place. Anyway, came back and he had his gloves picked out... I am sure I must have given a look, because I got the response "They are what fit best, I LIKE THESE." Dad was just overruled for the first time in an equipment purchase..... (I still think the Eagle's felt better)

Second..... Just paid for this years USAHockey fee this morning. Purchased a new helmet(just because), shield(his old fishbowl was hammered), gloves and shin guards this afternoon...... Saturday I will pay this years rec hockey fees(his last year) and expect to hear shortly what this season of high school hockey(his first regular season, has been playing this Summer with the JV team) will be costing me....:rolleyes: It is a good damn thing I love this sport and being at the rink, because it is not exactly easy on my wallet.

Guess there could be worse things, right....I could be paying for travel leagues...:r (He also is going to make it into the new season in last years skates, so that is a nice treat)

In the end, I could not be happier to be working my way through this and cross my fingers that his sister catches the bug as well....

P.S. I'll get a box of cigars worth of cash out of his old stuff at the skate swap....:tu

P.S.S. 2 more years and I don't have to taxi him to practices, drop in and stick & puck.

massphatness
08-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Paging Al ...
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
For the record, E.J, I like the Eagles too. ;)

Gophernut
08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
My son just informed me that he wishes to stop playing hockey this year. He would be a 2nd year Bantam, just one season away from playing at the high school level. Started when he was 4 and after 11 season, he is not as in love with the game as he used to be, and is thinking of all the stuff that he has missed out on. He wants to ski, snowboard and do some family vacations that don't involve him playing in 3-5 games in single weekend. He switched from forward to goalie about 5 years ago, and has had some great success.
I am saddened, but at the same time proud of what he has accomplished! I am also going to miss the rink, but feel I can acclimate to a chalet setting just fine. :xxx
The sale of his equipment is going to be bittersweet as shopping for it has always been one of my favorite things to do with him.

E.J.
08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Wow Steve, my son is the same age(going into his second year of Bantam) and I am not sure how I would feel about hearing that....

Good for him to make a decision that he feels strongly about. Who knows, maybe he just needs a year off to reinvigorate. Whatever happens, I am sure it will be a fun ride for him.

I am sure warm ski lodges and fine cigars await you this season!

macsauce13
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.

Eleven
08-03-2010, 02:55 PM
My kid has his first team practice of the year tonight, we leave in moments. Paying my first installment tonight too.

2nd year Peewee and he still loves it as much as he did when he was 4, he is even branching out this year and should be playing defense almost full time.

If he ever said he wanted to quit I would make sure he had all the relevant info first, and then cry alone if he really did quit. Some kids are just naturals, and you hate to see that go to waste.

In the end as long as he was truly happy and still kept busy and stayed academically healthy as well, I would support whatever decision he made.

It would still suck tho :(

Gophernut
08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
If he ever said he wanted to quit I would make sure he had all the relevant info first, and then cry alone if he really did quit. Some kids are just naturals, and you hate to see that go to waste.

In the end as long as he was truly happy and still kept busy and stayed academically healthy as well, I would support whatever decision he made.

It would still suck tho :(

Yep it sucks, but he really wants to see what is out there, he only went snowboarding once in his life and really enjoyed it, up until the part where he broke his arm. He has been on the 'A' teams for the most part and he has played on many competitive club type teams, and year round for the past 4 years. I think he burnt himself out. When he has been told by coaches that he can't snowboard, it just make him want to do it more. So I respect it, and I'll miss it. I am also bummed that Wisconsin just passed a no smoking law and will not be able to smoke cigars in the chalet anymore.

E.J.
08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.

What the heck do cheerleaders spend money on???????:r

My kid has his first team practice of the year tonight, we leave in moments. Paying my first installment tonight too.

2nd year Peewee and he still loves it as much as he did when he was 4, he is even branching out this year and should be playing defense almost full time.

NICE! I love the excitement of a new season....

yourchoice
08-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Enjoy the season E.J.! It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.

Tell me about it! My oldest had her first practice of the season yesterday. Competition cheerleading at 7....yes, 7. She and my wife love it though, so I'm happy. :)

"Camp", sneakers, bloomers, outfits, hair accessories, gym time, mat time.....ahhhhH!

macsauce13
08-03-2010, 03:14 PM

I dunno but I remember the girls in high school telling me about the money that goes into it. I'm not joking when I say thousands a year.:O:O:O

I will say its possible my high school friends spent more than most. They were very talented (multiple national championships) and VERY materialistic.

icehog3
08-03-2010, 03:19 PM
"Camp", sneakers, bloomers, outfits, hair accessories, gym time, mat time.....ahhhhH!

Ummmm...I will bet hockey costs have you beat by a longshot, Joel. ;) :)

Gophernut
08-03-2010, 03:31 PM

We figured it was at least $700 a year on goal sticks, that's buying the cheap ones! I have a place where I can buy the type he likes, non composite, for around $70 each, and he goes through about 10 of them a year. Not to mention pads, gloves, blocker, mask, chest protector, cups, etc. We found a place that leased skates so we could make sure he didn't grow out of them in one season, and have to buy them. It saved us a couple of years.

Prefy
08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Can't wait to be a hockey dad! :D

yourchoice
08-03-2010, 03:38 PM

I have absolutely NO DOUBT that is true, Tom. I know hockey is a very expensive venture...from what I understand one of the most expensive for kids to be involved in. Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :tu

E.J.
08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :tu

Exactly.....

J0eybb
08-03-2010, 03:52 PM

I have 2 daughters, and one of them loves to dance. THe other is still a baby..... I know I am in trouble.

E.J.
08-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Can't wait to be a hockey dad! :D

It is about as fun as it gets. The Little Man has done it all(sport wise) and there is nothing I would rather be doing with him..... I playfully ***** a little about the cost, but truly....nobody makes me purchase the things I do. I am a gearaholic that takes out my sickness on my child....

Since the start of the Summer season.....:rolleyes:

10K shin pads
10K elbow pads
S19 pants
9900 bucket w/ Bauer clear full shield
X60 stick
R8 gloves

Think there is a place I can go for help...:confused:

macsauce13
08-03-2010, 04:24 PM
The bank.

E.J.
08-03-2010, 04:34 PM
The bank.

:r:r:r....oh they have been more than helpful in sending my money to Players Bench....

WyGuy
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
We figured it was at least $700 a year on goal sticks, that's buying the cheap ones! I have a place where I can buy the type he likes, non composite, for around $70 each, and he goes through about 10 of them a year. Not to mention pads, gloves, blocker, mask, chest protector, cups, etc. We found a place that leased skates so we could make sure he didn't grow out of them in one season, and have to buy them. It saved us a couple of years.

I don't even want to know how much my parents spent on sticks alone between my brother and me!

Savvy
08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
This threads giving me the itch for hockey season to start back up (55 days til first game). I play in a league over here in Germany, and we travel around Europe quite a bit throughout the season. Hockey's the one sport that I feel I'll always stick with as long as I can -- none of the others came close.

And I'm surely going to end up being a hockey dad when I get older, and I'm looking forward to that as well.

icehog3
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that is true, Tom. I know hockey is a very expensive venture...from what I understand one of the most expensive for kids to be involved in. Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :tu

:chr

Gophernut
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
And I'm surely going to end up being a hockey dad when I get older, and I'm looking forward to that as well.

http://sports.break.com/cute-mite-hockey-fight

You'll get to see things like this!

08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

What age can he start playing ice hockey?

What are the expected costs (ballpark)

Should I start him out in floor or roller hockey first?

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike

E.J.
08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
My :2

In my backyard they can start in leagues at 6, but "Start Smart" at 5. My daughter has been skating since the age of 4 and will start the "Start Smart" program now(5). Start Smart is like hockey practice with scrimmages for the kids....no designated teams.

Our Recreational Program's regular season(what would be considered standard hockey not travel, summer, 3-3 ect) is $300 + the USA Hockey Fee which is $40. Equipment can be had for what you want to spend. I bet you could outfit a kid with used equipment from a skate swap, including a stick for under $50....or you could spend $1500+ on gear(though that level of pricing may be difficult to hit for a 5 year old ;) ).

I don't see a reason to do this.... Though I have never even played roller hockey.........

althekillr
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM
hockey parents definately give up alot. I remember my dad waking up at 4 am on saturday monrings to make 5 am practices. that and all the expenses of gear.

i would highly suggest private skating lessons to build a good foundation, even before hockey or at the same time if you can do both. might be good to start hockey first to build up the interest and then he will see the value of the skating lessons.

Smokin Gator
08-04-2010, 01:19 PM
You guys enjoy it while you can... My son played local club soccer from 4-8. Then came travel soccer (all over the southeast) from 9-17. On top of that was middle school and high school soccer. Now he plays in college but it is so different than being able to travel and spend time at the fields. I miss it badly. Yep, it cost me a small fortune, but I wouldn't trade the memories for all the money in the world!!!

Gophernut
08-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike

I would check with your local hockey association. I was a board member of ours for the past 5 years, and the one thing we worked the hardest on was to increase the number of players. We did this in a couple of ways. First, we instituted a "Learn to Skate Program", then started a "Learn to Play Hockey" program. Both of these programs were inexpensive. We also had free equipment for 1st year players. After the first year, and up to the squirt level you could lease the equipment for the year for around $100. That's where I would start anyways. Either the association or the Rink manager should be able to help.

08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Any contact info for these league? Are they national organizations or just find the local deal and go?

I definitely am OK with used gear. Although I know hockey gear can and does stink like no other. We might have to get on of those steam cleaner or something. Just to clean the old funk out of the pads before giving them to my son.

Anyway,
Thanks again

E.J.
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Any contact info for these league? Are they national organizations or just find the local deal and go?

Here you go Mike....

http://www.detroithockey.org/i-program.htm

Looks like $150 for their iProgram, all-inclusive....

BTW used gear isn't bad at all, especially with young kids...

E.J.
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Because it is a slow work day and I am prideful....here are a few photos I have at the workplace of my experience as the Little Man has progressed through Mites, Squirts, Pee Wee, Bantam and this Summer's delve into the High School Hockey program.... It is "fairly" chronological, but not 100%.... There are missing years, but the first 2 are his first year if I recall correctly....

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/4770/hockeygame21022.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7334/lmoldschool1.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9170/dpp0009small.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7310/lakers2003edited41.jpg

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/6267/92717151.jpg

E.J.
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5285/summerseason2.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6174/ratings1.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9327/febgame7.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2571/mhockey4.jpg

There was a time that the Little Man wanted to be between the pipes.... He liked that long enough that it cost me a set of pads... He did it every summer for a bit....

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4376/xg1.jpg

Gophernut
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Awesome Pics! As I think about it more and more, I am sure going to miss watching the boy play!

Eleven
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks,
Mike

From my experience with Detroit parents, I think most get their kids on the ice sometime in the first trimester.

;)

ahc4353
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Paging Al ...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have no idea where to begin.

08-05-2010, 06:44 AM
E.J. - Thanks for the links and the great pics. My wife and I are so excited for our son to get into sports, especially hockey. I will post some pics when I can.

From my experience with Detroit parents, I think most get their kids on the ice sometime in the first trimester.

;)

Yeah, there are a lot of hockey parents in the Detroit area. Heck we had three NHL owners in town until recently (Wings, Canes, Lightening). Unfortunately I never really played ice hockey. I'm planning on making sure my son gets that opportunity starting as young as he can. :tu

Ahbroody
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
It is about as fun as it gets. The Little Man has done it all(sport wise) and there is nothing I would rather be doing with him..... I playfully ***** a little about the cost, but truly....nobody makes me purchase the things I do. I am a gearaholic that takes out my sickness on my child....

Think there is a place I can go for help...:confused:

Dont feel bad brother I got the gear sickness bad. I dont even play anymore and have three pairs of skates. My son whos 4 has a pair of 130.00 Grafs :banger My wife was a little upset.

http://sports.break.com/cute-mite-hockey-fight

You'll get to see things like this!

thats cute. My boy actually got into it the other day on the ice. I had to talk to him. Some crosschecking started.

Ahbroody
08-05-2010, 06:07 PM

My questions are:

Thanks,
Mike

Mike just wanted to chime in also. Everyone has there own views on things. It is a lot of learn as you go though. I have picked Als brain and talked to many others. Each child is very different and you need to know your child and experiment to see what works.

1)Micah started playing ice at 3.5 He was pretty much the youngest kid though and there was good and bad about that. It definelty pushed him. If he will be 5 when the season starts thats more then old enough. Micah will be turning 5 during his second season.

2)Should be a lot cheaper for you, but out here it was about 1k for the season. regardless of age. So when you see the cost just remember it could be worse.

3) I stated Micah roller blading at about 2.5. He didnt ice skate till 3. I felt it helped him a lot with ice. I am about to do the samething with my middle daughter. Actually I start them in a 4 wheel plastic skate so they learn balance and push. Then a roller blade, then an ice skate.

Cause we are sharing heres a video from May for summer league. He is wearing 25 in the video. He was being lazy unless he had the puck. Sometimes he skates hrd sometimes he doesnt. At 4 I am just happy he loves skating and I never have to encourage him. You will see some parents do things at the rink that makes you shake your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyob7dfiEw4

E.J.
08-05-2010, 07:38 PM
That is stinking awesome Mike! Good stuff.....

That age is so fun!

E.J.
08-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm off to another game.... Second round of the playoffs!

E.J.
08-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Well....that didn't work out the way we planned...:td. Guess we have to make it through the losers bracket... Dropped them to 1-1 in the playoffs....
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8895/playoffgame2.jpg
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2513/playoffgame3.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/753/playoffgame5.jpg

Ahbroody
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Holy crap!!!!
Number 12 is wearing Bauer 2000's I think from 03 and those Nike Ignites number 9 has are from 2001. Sorry gear whore took over.

Sorry about the Loss.
Love the Fishbowl. Micahs is scratched pretty good after one year I need to get him a new one.

Ahbroody
08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
I have definetly found something that is frustrating about the minimite level. Peoples shiiiiitass kids.

Some of you I spoke with privately about a kid we had in the league who sucked and instead of trying to play would skate around running kids from behind and boarding them. He was little and weak on his skates so even though he was dangerous he wasnt to dangerous. An anonymous email was sent to the league head and the child and father were called in and told they would be banned if it occurred again. This child has now been much better.

That said a new kid has decided to start crosschecking kids from behind. Again another poor skater. Today his mom who is clearly a model citizen :r was filming her kid and a group of us decided to discuss some kids issues with crosschecking. She gave a dirty look. After the boy went after Micah I called him over and right infront of her said "hey if that boy keeps crosschecking you its okay for you to defend yourself" . This women gave me a very dirty look. After the game she again scowled at me when she walked by.

Looking back I am kind of regreting this. I generally tell Micah just skate harder if someone bothers him. I know these kids tend to get weeded out naturaley, but its just irritating. Clearly Micah being so young and not understanding why the kid crosschecked him and how to handle it adds to my frustration as his parent. I guess this is the downside of having your kids start so young and play with 6-7 year olds. next year I know this wont be an issue.

You dads with experience how did you address it

macsauce13
08-14-2010, 06:04 PM
OK, im not a parent, nor do I know much about hockey (so basically completely unqualified for this), but I am a second generation college baseball player, and I can tell you that from YOUR end of the deal, IMO you should teach him to be CONSTANTLY above reproach. He's going to figure out what he can get away with and how he can handle things on the ice, what he needs is for you to teach him the honor and the respect that will not only shape his hockey career, but will extend deep into his life.

Tell him to get good, clean, hard checks and to NEVER allow himself to make a single dirty play. Its about integrity, about doing it the right way, and being better than everyone else without stooping low.

YMMV :)

Ahbroody
08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Mac I will be having a talk with him tomorrow, to tell him dad was wrong, but mainly because hes too young to understand what I was telling him. I knew right after I did it I shouldnt have. I think I partly did to jack the mom up.

I played bball through H.S. and played rec hockey as an adult. The games are very different. There is a lot of self policing in hockey. The game is more fluid and there is a lot of roughousing(sp) on the ice as kids try to establish a pecking order. You wouldnt think little kids would do this, but trust me. Just as in school and life some kids try to bully other kids. The coaches largely let this go as its kind of part of the game. Unless it becomes dangerous. You need to learn to deal with it. Its part of why hockey is one of the best sports to have kids play. So really the issue becomes how you want your kid to deal with someone bullying them. As I said though Micah is really to young to grasp whats going on and I should not have told him to go back after the kid.
Al had told me last year having him start playing at 3 may not be a good idea. I suspect this may have been part of the reason. While he improved greatly skill wise he doesnt grasp everything going on at times. I am sure toward the end of the comming season things like this wont be an issue as he will turn 5 and figure some of this out. But hey this is the hockey parent banter and a good lesson for people with little ones.

Ahbroody
08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/weekend-blowout.html
Some good deals especailly if out of state of CA and not paying taxes.

E.J.
08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I have definetly found something that is frustrating about the minimite level. Peoples shiiiiitass kids.

Some of you I spoke with privately about a kid we had in the league who sucked and instead of trying to play would skate around running kids from behind and boarding them. He was little and weak on his skates so even though he was dangerous he wasnt to dangerous. An anonymous email was sent to the league head and the child and father were called in and told they would be banned if it occurred again. This child has now been much better.

That said a new kid has decided to start crosschecking kids from behind. Again another poor skater. Today his mom who is clearly a model citizen :r was filming her kid and a group of us decided to discuss some kids issues with crosschecking. She gave a dirty look. After the boy went after Micah I called him over and right infront of her said "hey if that boy keeps crosschecking you its okay for you to defend yourself" . This women gave me a very dirty look. After the game she again scowled at me when she walked by.

Looking back I am kind of regreting this. I generally tell Micah just skate harder if someone bothers him. I know these kids tend to get weeded out naturaley, but its just irritating. Clearly Micah being so young and not understanding why the kid crosschecked him and how to handle it adds to my frustration as his parent. I guess this is the downside of having your kids start so young and play with 6-7 year olds. next year I know this wont be an issue.

You dads with experience how did you address it

Are the leagues no check? Kids can’t check here until Pee Wee(11-12 Y/O). IMO, though I think there can be blame shared with parents, I think the offending kids coach should be shouldering the majority of the bame here. The issue should be addressed with the coach, first from the ref on the ice and if it continued, from the president of the league.

Coaches at this age are there to teach the kids the game, not win. If there are kids that are not playing the game as it should be played, it is 100% their responsibility to change that. If they have problems, they should address it with the parents and come to an understanding that if the kid cannot play the game within the rules, he/she will not see the ice.

I never have had much issue with this type of stuff. 2 years ago the Little Man did get suspended a game for addressing an issue on the ice. In a perfect world, it wouldn’t have happened, but I was not mad at him, nor embarrassed at the behavior….:2

Ahbroody
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Couple of things.
This really seems to be more of an issue at the minimite level as the kids dont follow directions as well, dont stay focused, and well some of them just need to have some actual parenting done.

Its no check as I dont know a league in the country that allows checks prior to Pee Wee. Your league may be different but out here the games often resemble a bunch of monkeys trying to fock a football. There is minimal refing and in the summer the league actually doesnt have dads for coaches, but instead the 20 year old kids run the practices and games. So things definelty are poorly run. During the regular season we were very active in actively controling the kids.

I was pretty proud of micah today they had 1/2hr practice 1/2hr game. In practice the kid was skating around looking for someone to bother. At one point during line drills he skated over towards Micah. Micah said something to him and skated over to some friends. During the game he got a pretty nice breakaway goal.

Fees were released today. $1045 for the season. Just seems wrong to pay that much for a 4 year old to play ice hockey.

E.J.
08-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Fees were released today. $1045 for the season. Just seems wrong to pay that much for a 4 year old to play ice hockey.

OUCH....

I'll consider myself lucky to be at $750 total for Bantam Rec and High School......

Just back from a game tonight(scrimmage against another local HS JV team).... Good tie if there is one.... Down 4-1 going into the third and pulled it to 4-4. Little Man was +2....

No games on the schedule for at least 3-4 weeks..... Word is the HS are trying to secure ice time and will have dryland training 3 * a week starting the 30th....... Assume rec will start in a month....
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4743/jb1e.jpg

E.J.
08-29-2010, 10:51 AM
The Little Man has a new toy in the back yard... Some synthetic ice and a radar gun to gauge your slap shot speed....
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/720/eosp2.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/830/eosp3.jpg

...and if you have a few too many cups out of the keg & try to get the slap shot MPH record, you may end up like this.....:r
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6697/eosp9.jpg

J0eybb
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Who's rocking the snake boots?

E.J.
08-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Who's rocking the snake boots?

The Little Man's "friend".....

ahc4353
08-29-2010, 11:55 AM
1st preseason drop of the puck in 36 minutes!

J0eybb
08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
My daughter's first day of hockey.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/J0eybb/Kids/IMG_6978.jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/J0eybb/Kids/IMG_6980.jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/J0eybb/Kids/IMG_6981.jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/J0eybb/Kids/IMG_6977.jpg

Actually just my new bag.

Ahbroody
08-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I know where you bought that bag. :r

Going to sign Micah up for Roller Hockey. He wants to play more so I figured I would let him do that also. As opposed to Ice Hockey here Roller hockey for kids 7 and under is 99.00 for the whole year.
http://www.silvercreeksportsplex.com/partners/hockey/
Will be interesting to see if he wants to play the games on Saturday at 10am as he has Ice games from 8-9. Practices are friday night which I think he will have a lot of fun with.

E.J.
08-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Laughed out loud at that last pic Joe..... Good stuff...

Ahbroody
08-29-2010, 12:31 PM
By the way awesome setup EJ. Would love to get something like that going eventually.

Ahbroody
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/b7e2ba53.jpg
Going to have the little guy rock this one when the season starts back up.
Debating on 28, 12, 8, 17
Domi, Marleau, Pavelski, his number kast year
Love ebay. Hand stitched everything. 25 shipped.

sikk50
09-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Cherish this though, I know he does.

When I was a pup playing peewee my dad was workin in the homicide devision at the time, being that we lived in a large county in SoCal someone was always dying so he was always gone. But to this day one of the best memories I have of my old man is how no matter how swamped he was he'd show up just before my games and tue my skates up good and tight. Even when he couldn't stay for the game.

J0eybb
09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/b7e2ba53.jpg
Going to have the little guy rock this one when the season starts back up.
Debating on 28, 12, 8, 17
Domi, Marleau, Pavelski, his number kast year
Love ebay. Hand stitched everything. 25 shipped.

Who's the seller? I'd like to order some Adult jerseys. What's on the front?

Ahbroody
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Joe its a youth jersey not adult.
Doubtful you could find adult jerseys at that price. I search the youth jerseys regularly for cool jerseys for micah. Hes 4 so they are often cheap.

J0eybb
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Joe its a youth jersey not adult.
Doubtful you could find adult jerseys at that price. I search the youth jerseys regularly for cool jerseys for micah. Hes 4 so they are often cheap.

gotcha, still 25 bucks for some sown on stitching is great.

I bought two ccm blank jerseys for about 10 bucks each shipped.

Ahbroody
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Just won a st.cloud jersey for 12.50 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160477768353&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Ahbroody
09-18-2010, 04:52 PM
First day of season today. They have 4 days of evaluations before they set the teams.
Scrimmage today Micah made me proud. Heading up the right boards not enough time to cut to the net sees 2 teammates headed towards the net centers the puck to them. One teammate basically takes out the other teamate scramble for the puck Micah bangs it in. He never stopped skating. When it was over I gave him a lot of praise. He wont be 5 till next month but understands team play, hustle, and sees a lot of the ice.

Proud papa today.

E.J.
09-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Excellent Mike!

He wont be 5 till next month but understands team play, hustle, and sees a lot of the ice.

...and good for Micah.... There are players that have been skating for 20 years and still don't understand those things...:r

Eleven
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Here is a little snippet I recorded this morning as some fellow Hockey Dads were trying to put shelves up in our boys' locker room.

Our boys get their own space where they play, but we had to build and paint everything. Today was the first day trying out the nail gun.

Queen City Steam 98 AA locker room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s1UqgnR-yg)

Ahbroody
09-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Scott just reminds me of the screwing in a light bulb jokes.

Excellent Mike!

...and good for Micah.... There are players that have been skating for 20 years and still don't understand those things...:r

I just love the fact he has grasped passing already. He also calls for the puck if hes open. Hes hilarious on the bench. He doesnt sit. You just see his head and a hand. Headbobbing up and down as he talks to everyone on the ice. :r

E.J.
09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
First regular season game for the JV'er tonight.... Played really well and pulled an solid win. Little Man had a great slap shot and was deflected in right at the net. All in all, a good day...
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1215/jb7r.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4278/jb1q.jpg
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/695/jb3w.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2104/jb6d.jpg
http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/9332/jb8b.jpg

E.J.
09-24-2010, 08:27 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7153/jb5.jpg

Oh...and he was here twice...:td

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6556/jb2z.jpg

E.J.
09-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Side note.... Looking at the pics, good thing we picked up that mouthpiece today(he didn't have to wear one in the Summer).... Looks like it fit in his mask quite well....:rolleyes:

Ahbroody
09-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Side note.... Looking at the pics, good thing we picked up that mouthpiece today(he didn't have to wear one in the Summer).... Looks like it fit in his mask quite well....:rolleyes:

Have to buy micah a new one every few weeks. You would think it was a chew toy.
Good thing the mask is big enough it can rest nicely inside. :r

Eleven
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Here is one from this morning, Rumble On The Rink Peewee 98 Tourney, my kid throwing a shoulder on some poor kid :)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1327/camcheck.jpg

Ahbroody
09-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Nice pic. Looks like a good hit.

Lindros?

Eleven
09-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice pic. Looks like a good hit.

Lindros?

His number was an accident of sorts. We have always had this little picture hanging in his room of 3 little boys sitting on the ice, all you can see are their backs and numbers. They were 66, 88 and 99, with the respective colors for each real guys team.

Cam never really gave it much thought, in fact for Mite and his first year of Squirt he was 44 in honor of Adam Dunn. A new boy joined the team and he was a whiny little guy, his mom came up to us on the very first day and said that her son was devastated that 44 was taken because he always had it.

I asked my kid if he cared about 44 or not and he said 'Who cares, I'll just take 88, its twice as good as 44 anyway'

So after that, he learned of Big E, and that he had actually been to a game to see him play (well really we were there to see the Pens, but Lindros was playing that game. Cam was about 3 months old when we went to that game in '99, but we have the pics to show him).

Ahbroody
09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Took micah to a roller hockey class on friday night.
One funny thing was his trying to stop like on ice. Ate it multiple times.

Its weird having had foot issues I have always focused on foot comfort with him. His blades were a little tight as hes growing. He refused to skate after 15 minutes. Literally refused. Whats weird is he had a shinpad dig in during summer causing a silver dollar size welt on his shin and said it hurt but wanted to play and ignored it. However mess with his feet and hes done

E.J.
09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice Scott!

Our kids here don't get much of a choice in numbers in rec leagues.... It is 1-16....the low numbers being the smaller jerseys, larger numbers being bigger.... think it was switched once when the Little Man first started playing....

When he finally got to pick his own number, went 14? Not even sure where that came from.......

Ahbroody
09-29-2010, 05:18 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0165.jpg

E.J.
09-29-2010, 06:59 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0165.jpg

Great pic Mike....:tu

E.J.
09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Looks like my youngest starts Sunday....
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2884/abbygear.jpg

Ahbroody
09-30-2010, 07:15 PM
How old? Nice Pic.
OOO and what skates? The Graf Supra 370s are awesone I got to say and those feet look like my sons. Nice and fat. :r

E.J.
09-30-2010, 07:42 PM
How old? Nice Pic.
OOO and what skates? The Graf Supra 370s are awesone I got to say and those feet look like my sons. Nice and fat. :r

Yes she has THICK feet.... The only skates they had in her size were CCM U+ pros.... We passed, though may may end up with them... I just wanted to see what was available online....

I was late getting her signed up(she has already missed the first day), so we are a session behind already. I am use to the Little Man taking care of all this for me now...:confused:

Ahbroody
09-30-2010, 08:09 PM
What size right now? I may have something.

Forgot to mention if you can find some old youth 492tacks great boot and as wide as U+ its what Micah wore till the graf 370. Hands down deepest widest boot. Available

E.J.
10-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Forgot to mention if you can find some old youth 492tacks great boot and as wide as U+ its what Micah wore till the graf 370. Hands down deepest widest boot. Available

11Y

Thanks for the info....

Gophernut
10-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Yep, my son skated in the 492Tacks for a number of years. Very wide feet.

E.J.
10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Ended up borrowing some skates from a friend of mine with two kids playing(one just a year older than my youngest).

I was chatting in the driveway before we left and the Terrorist decided that she needed to try on the skates in the truck.... The back of the center console in the front seat now is a reminder of her first pair of hockey skates....

Ahbroody
10-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Arent they great: r
Sorry only skates I had close were 10.5 Did the shop you went to have any reeboks? My experience woth them was they are similar cut in the youth size just like in adult size to the Tacks. There is/was a pair of size 11y ccm externos which is the same style boot also on ebay. Micah has been using the roller hockey externo skate with no issues also. I not a fan of the blade holder on these, but the boot is a tank

CCM EXTERNO E10 Ice Hockey Skates Chld / Youth 11

Link:http://cgi.ebay.com/CCM-EXTERNO-E10-Ice-Hockey-Skates-Chld-Youth-11_W0QQitemZ170546957264QQcategoryZ26342QQvarZQQcm dZViewItem

Ahbroody
10-02-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.brunoshockeyshop.com/collections/all-skates/products/graf-supra-370-tyke
If you are thinking about the u+ for the price these are so much better.
Micah loves them. Dont forget to have the proshop wedge the back. Tyke skates are way to nuetral. Best thing I ever did for micah was instal wedges. Forced him to have a deep knee bend. I bought mine from a shop in upstate NY but cant find the link, about the same price. The boot runs real big though, so an 11 is probably an 11.5.

Will post pics later incase you are not familiar with wedges. It improved his stride and speed so much.

E.J.
10-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Will post pics later incase you are not familiar with wedges. It improved his stride and speed so much.

Not familiar with this....so let me know...

HAD SO MUCH STINKING MUCH FUN TODAY! First time ever on the ice with gear. She looked to be in over her head to begin and I was questioning my letting her get out there. But half way through, she was doing great.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9549/afhg2.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6459/afhg3.jpg

They scrimmaged at the end and she put the only one in the back of the net for her team... I caught the sequence right here. She was pretty excited & proud of herself.... Not near as excited and proud as her Dad...

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2262/afhg5.jpg

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9725/afhg7r.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/559/afhg8.jpg

Prefy
10-03-2010, 05:11 PM
That's some good stuff right there!

I especially like the guy without the socks on :r

Awesome pics!

Ahbroody
10-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Awesome Pics.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/P1050549.jpg

Wedging is when they place a shim under the boot on top of the blade holder in the back, the wedge is a little hard to see sorry. The easiest way to understand this is to lift your heals off the ground. your body will want to bend the knees to keep a good center of balance. Thats what it does. You can have the blades profiled instad, but with little kids skates its a bad idea as they will grind off a lt of blade and there is not a lot of blade to begin with. Its better to find a good proshop have them wedge and radius the skates and only take them to them. The other thing to note is that on childs skates they generally run an 11ft or more radius vs a 9ft radius. This is done to give the child more stability. More blade surface is on the ice at aany given time. The issue is it leads to a crappy stride when combined with a nuetral profile as the kids dont understand to bend their knees yet. You will see many kids I am sure barely lifting their skates of the ice and instead plodding along. Long story short they will learn habits which will need to be corrected later. Do this tricks them into bending the knees and taking longer strides.

The pic in my avatar is Micah last year at not even 4.5. This was after I had his skates radiused to 9ft then had the wedges put in the back. He went from looking like he was going to fall backwards to a great stride for his age in a few weeks. Well atleast when he cares to skate hard. :r

I actually keep debating starting a blog regarding some of these things to help out parents in non traditional hockey markets like mine. These are little things but all of them together help the child learn a better stride without trying to explin to them. They just adapt. Stride and foot comfort are two things I spend a lot of time on with Micah. If your feet hurt you dont want to skate. If you cant skate you cant play. With a great stride and comfortable feet you focus on the rest of the game.

OOO and the insert on the top in the pick is a CCM Tack 10.5 Y The insert on the bottom is the Graf 10. It is longer then the 10.5. So what ever you decide if you go with the Graf they do run long. This was an issue for Micah at first, thankfully his feet grew and it solved itself. I and most people I know are strongly against oversized skates for kids because it results in bad stride also.

Sorry for the soap box its a particular passion of mine.

10-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks Mike. I never really played ice hockey but I want my son to. He turns 5 in November and I want to get him a pair of skates for his birthday. He'll be starting from scratch, and to some degree so will I. This kind of info is a huge help.

Thanks again!

Eleven
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks Mike. I never really played ice hockey but I want my son to. He turns 5 in November and I want to get him a pair of skates for his birthday. He'll be starting from scratch, and to some degree so will I. This kind of info is a huge help.

Thanks again!

Do it! Best thing we ever did for our youngest son. If there were Youth Hockey Programs in our area when the 2 older ones were growing up, they would have played as well.

Eleven
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
One of our teams Dads works for a video company, and has access to a real nice camera. Here is one shift from a couple weeks ago, it just happens to have my kid in it :)

#88 (http://queencity.goalline.ca/files/490_0561_01.wmv)

E.J.
10-04-2010, 05:06 PM
One of our teams Dads works for a video company, and has access to a real nice camera. Here is one shift from a couple weeks ago, it just happens to have my kid in it :)

#88 (http://queencity.goalline.ca/files/490_0561_01.wmv)

Great stuff Scott!

E.J.
10-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Awesome Pics.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/P1050549.jpg

Wedging is when they place a shim under the boot on top of the blade holder in the back, the wedge is a little hard to see sorry. The easiest way to understand this is to lift your heals off the ground. your body will want to bend the knees to keep a good center of balance. Thats what it does. You can have the blades profiled instad, but with little kids skates its a bad idea as they will grind off a lt of blade and there is not a lot of blade to begin with. Its better to find a good proshop have them wedge and radius the skates and only take them to them. The other thing to note is that on childs skates they generally run an 11ft or more radius vs a 9ft radius. This is done to give the child more stability. More blade surface is on the ice at aany given time. The issue is it leads to a crappy stride when combined with a nuetral profile as the kids dont understand to bend their knees yet. You will see many kids I am sure barely lifting their skates of the ice and instead plodding along. Long story short they will learn habits which will need to be corrected later. Do this tricks them into bending the knees and taking longer strides.

The pic in my avatar is Micah last year at not even 4.5. This was after I had his skates radiused to 9ft then had the wedges put in the back. He went from looking like he was going to fall backwards to a great stride for his age in a few weeks. Well atleast when he cares to skate hard. :r

I actually keep debating starting a blog regarding some of these things to help out parents in non traditional hockey markets like mine. These are little things but all of them together help the child learn a better stride without trying to explin to them. They just adapt. Stride and foot comfort are two things I spend a lot of time on with Micah. If your feet hurt you dont want to skate. If you cant skate you cant play. With a great stride and comfortable feet you focus on the rest of the game.

OOO and the insert on the top in the pick is a CCM Tack 10.5 Y The insert on the bottom is the Graf 10. It is longer then the 10.5. So what ever you decide if you go with the Graf they do run long. This was an issue for Micah at first, thankfully his feet grew and it solved itself. I and most people I know are strongly against oversized skates for kids because it results in bad stride also.

Sorry for the soap box its a particular passion of mine.

That is neat... I have never even heard of that....

You should start a blog, that is a great idea.....

Ahbroody
10-06-2010, 12:35 AM
So on Saturday Mich says the words never want to hear. " Dad can I play soccer?" Damn near drove the car off the road. I explained to him that Saturday is for hockey so he couldn't make the games. Hopefully that holds him till baseball season starts. As further insurance I decided to introduce him to a new sport this week. Lacrosse.http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0008.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0007.jpg

Awesome sport for developing hand eye and puck control skills. He had a goodtime but the coach made him take off the hockey gloves because of the thumb locks in hockey gloves. A few minutes later is scruming with the big kids for a lose ball and gets a cut on his little finger. Couple of tears, but wants to go again next week. Friggin Lacrosse gloves are not cheap, but its better then soccer.

10-06-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm with you there Mike!!! Lacrosse is a good sport. Tough too.

Eleven
10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Friggin Lacrosse gloves are not cheap, but its better then soccer.

Whew! Close one. Our boys play soccer for fun at dry-land sessions, and his baseball team did the same. But as for actually playing soccer, I am glad my son is past that phase!

Not to bash on soccer, MLS and FIFA are ok, but youth soccer is the butt of many a joke in our neck of the woods.

:D

10-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Whew! Close one. Our boys play soccer for fun at dry-land sessions, and his baseball team did the same. But as for actually playing soccer, I am glad my son is past that phase!

Not to bash on soccer, MLS and FIFA are ok, but youth soccer is the butt of many a joke in our neck of the woods.

All too often the joke here is that kids play futbol until their old enough to play football. At that point soccer becomes a distant memory.

E.J.
10-06-2010, 08:16 AM
So on Saturday Mich says the words never want to hear. " Dad can I play soccer?"

:r....I came VERY close to covering my computer monitor with coffee....

Those pics look familiar...
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5111/lacrosse40061.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6962/lacrossegame2043.jpg
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3271/lacrossegame2049.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9264/lacrossegame2052.jpg

Eleven
10-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Your pictures are always great EJ, what kind of set up do you use?

E.J.
10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Your pictures are always great EJ, what kind of set up do you use?

Thanks.... I use a Canon 30D w/ a Canon 70-200 2.8 attached for almost all the sports shots....

A bit of an impulse buy about 5 or so years ago due to frustration with the photos I was getting at the rink.... That said, it has ended up being a great purchase.

Ahbroody
10-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice pics. We have an NIKON SLR but my wife takes it to work and I am generally not allowed to play with it as I break things. :(

Yeah I almost spit my soda out when Micah asked about soccer. We live across from a school so every Saturday he sees people playing. Some of the kids on his team had a soccer game afterwards which is where he got the idea from. Hoping we have our 3 sports locked up. nothing against soccer fans just don't love the game

E.J.
10-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Once of my favorite lacrosse shots....

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7375/lacrosse40131.jpg

Eleven
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I have a Rebel XS with the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens. I haven't been able to learn much more than the auto-set point-and-shoot mode. I also have a 75-300mm zoom lens without IS.

I'm sure it takes better shots than I am currently getting, but man they are NOTHING like the ones I am seeing here.

One of these days :)

E.J.
10-20-2010, 10:53 PM
2 good fights tonight in the Varsity game..... Both had kids really throwing punches(gloves & helmets on), one for a significant amount of time.... Though I find it a bit amusing and would have no problem with the Little Man going at it if the situation warranted, I still get a very uneasy feeling when parents are cheering high school kids fighting.

Of course the kids in the stands are going to go WILD.... But IMO, it is not a parents(or someone over 30 for that matter) place to cheer fighting at this level......:sh

J0eybb
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
We had a fight in our adult game last tuesday. My teamate was roughed, and retaliated. Aparently the guy and his dad play together. When they were done, and laying on the ground, his dad started yelling get off him, and them slammed his stick a foot from the two downed players. It was pretty funny how mad this guy was, but he almost got layed out by two of us. I'm not a fighter, but I had to get involved, and rough this guy back away.

J0eybb
10-20-2010, 11:28 PM
2 good fights tonight in the Varsity game.....

Is there any suspensions for fighting at the HS level?

E.J.
10-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Is there any suspensions for fighting at the HS level?

Yes...and it is no slap on the wrist....

20.2. UHSH Penalties for Fighting

A. Any player receiving a Fighting penalty as noted on the official score sheet, (other than players receiving such a penalty while participating with the Utah Stars), shall be suspended for the balance of that game and for the next three games of that team.

B. Any player receiving a second Fighting penalty in a season, as noted on the official score sheet, (other than players receiving such a penalty while participating with the Utah Stars), regardless of which other team he/she was playing with when he/she received the penalty, shall be suspended for the balance of that game and for the next five games of that team.

C. Any player receiving a third Fighting penalty in a season, as noted on the official score sheet, (other than players receiving such a penalty while participating with the Utah Stars), regardless of which team he/she was playing with when he/she received the penalty, shall be suspended from participating in any UHSH activity, including Utah Stars participation, for a period of one (1) year from the date of the penalty.

D. Any player who is suspended for "Fighting" shall not be eligible to participate in any other game activities of UHSH or which are sponsored by UHSH, including but not limited to, participation on another team, participation in the Utah Winter Games, High School All Star Game, out-of-state games, etc., during the period of suspension. In all of the above cases the player may participate with any appropriate team in a practice capacity only, unless prohibited by USA Hockey.

E. A player who receives a one (1) year suspension, need not register with UHSH the following season in order for the suspension to be properly served.

F. Upon each 1 year suspension, UHSH shall contact, in writing, the Utah Amateur Hockey Association and recommend that the offending player be suspended from any participation in any Utah Hockey program for the same 1 year period. If the player should leave the state and it can be ascertained that he/she is participating in another USA Hockey program, a letter shall be written to that program outlining the sanction and requesting that the player serve the suspension with that program.

G. Players receiving a "Fighting" penalty must serve the required number of games for the team with which they were playing when they received the penalty. During the period of required suspension, the offending player must also serve up to a maximum of the same number of games for any other team with which he may be playing, including the Utah Stars. If there are fewer or the same number of games for the other team(s) on which the player also participates than the number of games required to be served on the original team where the penalty was incurred, then the player will only be required to serve that number of games for that other team(s).

A player participating on three different teams who receives a first "Fighting" penalty could serve up to a maximum of 3 games for each

E.J.
10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
1-0 for the day so far....

Have another game at 6:45....

Ahbroody
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
No hockey for the boy this weekend. There is a tourney at the rinks.
Micah used to prefer roller to ice. Lastnight after attending a practice he decided this was no longer the case. He has realized he's a lot faster on ice, the Puck does what its supposed to do on ice and his edge work, something he is already recognized for is not as good.

It was interesting watching him struggle out there. I am going to keep him going, but I need to research trying to get his pitch the same as ice. His stride looked wrong and he was falling on breakaways and hard turns which pissed him off. So much so he came over to the bench to inform me he was upset and something was wrong with his skates. In fairness to him he was trying out new skates and the chassis is flat so it doesn't skate like an ice skate. His last chasis worked a lot like an ice skate in that it was 3 wheels and you were either on the front 2 or back 2 wheels.

I really should start that blog.

E.J.
10-24-2010, 03:53 PM
You should get on the blog Mike, there would be many appreciative and better informed parents out there....

The Little Man's rec team took one on the nose last night.... It could be a LONG SEASON for that team....:(

On a brighter note.... Fun day at the rink today....
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3752/abbyjackson13.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1439/abbyjackson7.jpg
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4447/abbyjackson10.jpg

Trying to fit in with the Little Man and his friends....
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/635/abbyjackson5.jpg

Ahbroody
10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Here is what I was referencing.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0208.jpg

The skate at the back has a tri-d chassis. The middle wheel is always in contact. Then either the rear or front wheel, but never both. This allows you to be up on your toes more. In the other skate all wheels are down.

This immediately caused him to feel back on his heels and changed his stride. It became a shorter stride.

Today I grabbed two of the stx. Fiddle stx and started working with Micah on throwing left as they had him throwing right at lacrosse class. He was throwing harder and closer to target immediately. Anyone who's boy plays lax which hand is his top hand. Micah is a lefty throws left, bats both, shots hockey right.

E.J.
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Micah is a lefty throws left, bats both, shots hockey right.

Little Man writes and eats left.... Does everything else right? Crazy....:confused:

Eleven
10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
The things we do for our kids:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4467/scottpenguin.jpg

E.J.
10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
EXCELLENT Scott!

ahc4353
10-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Looks like my youngest, Mitch, is going to Arizona State next year. He received a deans scholarship and the hockey coach has called and talked with his at length.

Who the hell am I going to root for when Penn State plays Arizona!?

Mike, as hard as it was I let the boys play whatever sport they wanted when they asked. They always came back to hockey. (Thank God!)

E.J.
10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Looks like my youngest, Mitch, is going to Arizona State next year. He received a deans scholarship and the hockey coach has called and talked with his at length.

CONGRATS to Mitch!

Tempe would be a GREAT, GREAT place to go to school. I spent a little time on that campus during my college years and was floored by the talent walking around....

Ahbroody
11-01-2010, 01:23 AM

Who the hell am I going to root for when Penn State plays Arizona!?

Mike, as hard as it was I let the boys play whatever sport they wanted when they asked. They always came back to hockey. (Thank God!)

Awesome news. Nothing like getting a free education. Congrats on raising some great young men.

As to the sport thing.... I generally agree, but dude ITS SOCCER!!! I know I really have nothing to worry about though. If given a choice he takes the hockey stick everytime. :banger We just have a strict no soccer policy in our house. :r I explained to him Soccer might interfere with hockey and he was over it. He actually has not mentioned it since that day.

Eleven
11-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Slightly better pic taken by another parent:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6004/p1000108d.jpg

Ahbroody
11-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Fuggin kid almost made me eat my words.

So last night Micah was running his mouth about how many goals he was going to score today. He said 7. I said you know what if you even score three I will call the sharks about your tryout. He scored two today.

Dad was proud he victimized some kids taking pucks away from kids older and bigger, out skated damn near everyone. Had two goals and possibly a third but I am not giving it to him. :r There was a scrum infront of the net and someone shot the puck off a defenders foot into the goal.

E.J.
11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Fuggin kid almost made me eat my words.

So last night Micah was running his mouth about how many goals he was going to score today. He said 7. I said you know what if you even score three I will call the sharks about your tryout. He scored two today.

Dad was proud he victimized some kids taking pucks away from kids older and bigger, out skated damn near everyone. Had two goals and possibly a third but I am not giving it to him. :r There was a scrum infront of the net and someone shot the puck off a defenders foot into the goal.

GOOD STUFF Mike.... Tell Micah GREAT game from CA!

E.J.
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Started the day with some tailgating, which was only about 100 yards away from the ice rink.....(my neighbors & their tailgate site, yes that is an ambulance)

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9752/tailgate4.jpg
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/781/taligate1.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2939/taligate2.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2972/img8214a.jpg

Then had some hockey....

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4913/hity.jpg

Then got our a$$es handed to us in the Utah vs TCU game...

ahc4353
11-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Mike, goal scorers get all the glory but the assist guys are the ones that have my heart.

Got to watch Mitch play yesterday! He was +3 with a fight (more of a body slam through the ice after a guy speared him in the throat with a broken stick. Man was he pi$$ed! :D) 7 -1 win Then a 130 mile ride to West Chester PA to watch Penn State kick the snot out of West Chester. Got to see Jr. which was GREAT! He's about two weeks away from playing (keep your fingers crossed). Got home at midnight, sleep, now it's back to West Chester to watch Mitch play the Jr. Flyers.

Going to try and get a couple of photos today to post here.

Think I'll pick up a cigar on the way for the pre-game. :hm

Ahbroody
11-07-2010, 08:42 AM
E.J Heard about that Utah game on the radio. Sheeeeeeeesh is all I can say.
Great pic of the Hockey Game. What I find most interesting about the other pics is WTF? They still sell TAB soda?

AL awesome about the boys. I can only hope one day to need to do that. :tu Hope mitch plants one for me

You know goal scores get all the puck bunnies Al, especially when they got the flow. :r He is getting more and more aware out there. He just turned 5 this month though and I am more excited that he drives the net constantly and camps it some times calling for a pass, initiates some contact, and has good speed and edge work especially for his age. I guess always yelling "skate skate skate" at him works:r. He is also grabbing the puck and sending up the boards to clear the zone. He is starting to pass to kids. At this age you know what thats like though. Timing the pass on a moving player can be funny.

I know you have been through this. I get so geeked watching him use his head out there and show signs of development.
I had to fight back the smile yesterday when he came to the bench after bumping a kid off the puck to get it and says "dad I couldnt get the puck away fron that boy so I had to bump him" the kid lost his balance.

E.J.
11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Al, where are our photos? (I'll keep my fingers crossed for Jr.)

Good read Mike.... I have yet to find something that gives me a better feeling than I get from watching my children excel at things....

As far as TAB soda....wish I had a response, but I actually gave a WTF when I saw it...???

E.J.
11-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Few from the weekend....

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7898/abbyhockey5.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5923/abbyhockey6.jpg

E.J.
11-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Cluster of a night.... Zamboni went down and leaked everywhere, melting a giant crater in the ice. Game cancelled and they had a bunch of the kids out trying to get the zamboni pushed off the ice & water dispersed....

Anyway, the Assistant Trustee, who was out there helping out, slipped on the ice and smacked his head REALLY HARD. Was out cold for at least 3-5 minutes, maybe more. I was on the phone with 911 getting medical to respond, but was not on the ice. He was breathing and apparently conscious before the medical personnel got there.

I don't mind telling you it gave me a bit of a kick to the gut... When you see someone knocked cold and posture, it always gives me a bit of a sick feeling. I still have not heard how he is doing. I am sick for him, his kids who had to watch that, the whole thing.....

Ahbroody
11-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Any word on condition?
This story actually made me decide to buy a new chinstrap. A while back I took mine off my helmet to give it to a kid who needed one. Never replaced it. Today running horseshoe drills I was shaggging pucks from the net and a kid flew into me and I almost ate it. Instantly thought of the story above. Maybe I will just get a new bucket. I got an old itech with the thick white padding. Birth control helmet.

Micah scored three clean goals today. 2 breakaways, 1 where he crashed the net and jammed in the rebound. He led his team in scoring today. He should have had a fourth but was stopped. He shot it the goalie made a save then he followed it in and the goalie actually made a really nice second save. Everyone on the other team was going crazy after the second save as everyone thought Micahs was scoring.

Really happy today. I told Micah he had to score goals today and skate hard because we were short 2 kids. He skated his arse off and was one of the reasons his team won the first game and tied the second.

E.J.
11-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Any word on condition?

Nothing since Thursday, but that news was not great... Well, that is relative. He was in very serious condition at the hospital, but the bleeding on the brain had not worsened. Breathing tube had been removed & he was responsive.

Just to be clear, if there was some confusion. No skates, no helmet. Just on the ice helping direct the kids during an issue with the Zamboni.

E.J.
11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Really happy today. I told Micah he had to score goals today and skate hard because we were short 2 kids. He skated his arse off and was one of the reasons his team won the first game and tied the second.

:banger:tu:banger:tu....NICE!

E.J.
11-20-2010, 02:24 PM
As for our ice time, County Rec team was CRUSHED AGAIN. I am trying to not show my frustration with that team. They look lost out there and don't appear to be receiving instruction on simple mistakes as they come to the bench....then go out and do it again. I ask the Little Man about it and ask him to be more of a verbal leader, getting in kids ears in a positive way....we will see where that goes....:confused:

He played forward today, which is a change.... Maybe it was due to not having a few kids there.... I thought it went well... Should have had 4 goals, came away with one..... I was a little late on the shutter, but still came away with a decent sequence...

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7376/goal1.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7777/goal3.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2467/goal2t.jpg

Evening JV High School game rescheduled due to some High School dance....? We're still in Jr. High, what do we know about this stuff....:r

Ahbroody
11-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Dude your boy is huge compared to the other boys in that picture.

As to coaching I hear you. Our primary coach is out of town this week with his boy. I don't like running practices and generally police the screwups to keep them on task. The two past practices and today's game was run be assistant coach who's boy is on our team, and coaches his other boys peewee team. Practices consisted of me trying to explain why multi passing drills are bad at this age and we should be working on give and goes as that's how the games go. We either have a boy make a Breakout pass or a centering feed. His response was well help them. I'm thinking lets walk before we run. End result he gets frustrated cause the kids screw up and sends them to the boards to pass the Puck off the wall or to each other. No one learns much.

Today for the first game he just sends out the first 5 boys we got lucky though cause they were already in the lineset we had taught them. Game 2 they were jumbled on the bench he sends out my son the other player on our team who scores and our best d player on the same line. I advise him this is a bad idea. He blows me off. After 3 shifts we are down 2-0. I ask him again to change the lines and tell him what to do. We end the game 4-4. He just doesn't seem to think.

E.J.
11-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Dude your boy is huge compared to the other boys in that picture.

He's a big kid... Though that pic may be a bit misleading.... He is 14 y/o and 6'1" In the end, he is usually one of the bigger kids on the ice, even when he is out with the HS.... But he's not like 6'4" or anything....;)

mikethegoalie32
11-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Well I am much too young to be a hockey parent, but love talking anything hockey. I have been reffing hockey in Ottawa for the last 10 years doing everything up to Major Midget AAA, and have been coaching for 7 years now.
Love reading all of your stories!
I am currently head coach of a major peewee competitive team, and understand the frustration some may have with coaches. It appears you are stuck with one of those "my way or highway" coaches who isn't open to talk about other ideas! I surrounded my self with two assisstant coaches who are not parents also, and kept the manager and trainer as parents to have the lines of communication still open. I make sure to do my rounds with the parents at ice times too, let them vent, or compliment! If they feel they can just talk, they are normally happy. And hey, sometimes they have great ideas which I use!
My team just won a tourney this weekend. Semis went to double OT. The format was messed up. 10 min periods 3 on 3. You were not allowed to change players on whistles. I used some mens league tactics and placed em at the door after a long shift on a faceoff, and boom switch when puck drops!

E.J.
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Well I am much too young to be a hockey parent, but love talking anything hockey. I have been reffing hockey in Ottawa for the last 10 years doing everything up to Major Midget AAA, and have been coaching for 7 years now.
Love reading all of your stories!
I am currently head coach of a major peewee competitive team, and understand the frustration some may have with coaches. It appears you are stuck with one of those "my way or highway" coaches who isn't open to talk about other ideas! I surrounded my self with two assisstant coaches who are not parents also, and kept the manager and trainer as parents to have the lines of communication still open. I make sure to do my rounds with the parents at ice times too, let them vent, or compliment! If they feel they can just talk, they are normally happy. And hey, sometimes they have great ideas which I use!
My team just won a tourney this weekend. Semis went to double OT. The format was messed up. 10 min periods 3 on 3. You were not allowed to change players on whistles. I used some mens league tactics and placed em at the door after a long shift on a faceoff, and boom switch when puck drops!

Welcome to the BHP thread Mike.... It is just really all things hockey, no kid needed...:tu

Congrats on the tourney win!

Cluster of a night.... Zamboni went down and leaked everywhere, melting a giant crater in the ice. Game cancelled and they had a bunch of the kids out trying to get the zamboni pushed off the ice & water dispersed....

Anyway, the Assistant Trustee, who was out there helping out, slipped on the ice and smacked his head REALLY HARD. Was out cold for at least 3-5 minutes, maybe more. I was on the phone with 911 getting medical to respond, but was not on the ice. He was breathing and apparently conscious before the medical personnel got there.

I don't mind telling you it gave me a bit of a kick to the gut... When you see someone knocked cold and posture, it always gives me a bit of a sick feeling. I still have not heard how he is doing. I am sick for him, his kids who had to watch that, the whole thing.....

Two week tomorrow that this happened and the guy is still in a medically induced coma... The longer this goes on, the more crazy and unbelievable it seems to me.

I just finished reading a blog that his family has been doing...it is stinking emotional. Amazing the ripple effect tragedy has. Hate to see anyone have to go through this crap....

Man life is fragile....

mikethegoalie32
11-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Here in Ottawa we know this all too well, and you get reminded every hour at the rinks. One night the dude who shovels the left over snow off after the boni comes off, slipped and cracked his skull. As of 3 years ago I believe, no one, NO ONE, in a city of ottawa arena can step on the ice without a helmet, this includes trainers who are attending to injured players, they must have a helmet to run on the ice. Zamboni drivers who dont even step on the ice do it as well...

Eleven
11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Gotta throw out a huge self indulging congrats to my son. His team, Queen City Steam 98 AA has broken into the top 20 of the USA Tier II teams according to 98Rankings.com

They moved up to 19 this week!

E.J.
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Gotta throw out a huge self indulging congrats to my son. His team, Queen City Steam 98 AA has broken into the top 20 of the USA Tier II teams according to 98Rankings.com

They moved up to 19 this week!

:banger:banger:banger:banger NICE SCOTT!!!!

That is impressive, congrats to your son and his team:tu

mikethegoalie32
12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Sick, only 18 more spots to jump! :P

E.J.
12-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Huge loss for the Murray Hockey Community.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8080/inmemoryofdavebrown.jpg

Ahbroody
12-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Sent you a pm. Just tragic. I can't imagine what the family is experiencing given the time of year, the suddenness, and having children. I prayed for him and his family last night. Spent a moment doing my talk to the lord. His family has my prayers.

12-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Sent you a pm. Just tragic. I can't imagine what the family is experiencing given the time of year, the suddenness, and having children. I prayed for him and his family last night. Spent a moment doing my talk to the lord. His family has my prayers.

My prayers are with them too. Very sad to hear he didn't make it.

Ahbroody
12-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Well today was an odd day. I am writting this to kind of call myself out and laugh at myself. I was not going to write this but felt I should as a reminder.

The last 2 saturday games Micah scored 3 goals each day. Today he scored only one. Its funny I was kind of bummed. I praised him for skating hard and explained to him sometimes its not that easy. He was a little upset. He skated hard made some smart clearing dumps, but just didn't have it. My wife, bless her, smacked some sense into me when I got home. Reminding me majority of the kids in the league have not even scored and I am sad because he had just a good day. So yeah today I was "that dad" and my wife smacked me around.

Side note we have a retired Sgt. from another city in our beat. My Lt. Met this guy a few days ago over some concearns he had and the guy showed him his mancave and stogie collection. Today my Lt had us do a little community policing and meet the guy. We start talking and I get a permanent invite to his mancave anytime. Also find out his boy now with the Sheriffs Office played travel hockey for the Santa Clara Blackhawks and SJ jr Sharks till age 20. We talked hockey for a while.

E.J.
12-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Just back from the rink....

Side note we have a retired Sgt. from another city in our beat. My Lt. Met this guy a few days ago over some concearns he had and the guy showed him his mancave and stogie collection. Today my Lt had us do a little community policing and meet the guy. We start talking and I get a permanent invite to his mancave anytime. Also find out his boy now with the Sheriffs Office played travel hockey for the Santa Clara Blackhawks and SJ jr Sharks till age 20. We talked hockey for a while.

That is a win all day long!

E.J.
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Looks like we are skate shopping again.... Went in yesterday, though with the LM having BIG feet, we have a limited selection to even try on.

They did have a size 11 in the 11K's....and he was fairly enamored with the skatelock/lacelock thingy. In a perfect world, he will stay in Graf's... They are going to call Graf Canada on Monday morning and call me back with info as to if they have some 11W G5's in stock....if not...???

Quick look, would not be difficult to order online, Majer Hockey actually has leftover(new) G5 Limited's, same skate he is wearing now(in his size) for a great price.... Though I really hate to not use the local shop... I am sure we'd make up the savings in skate sharpens alone.... Though probably wouldn't make a difference, sure they'd still take care of us... Which is my point I guess....

It would be nice to be in a little more hockey friendly area.... I am sure there are worse places, maybe I should feel fortunate that I actually have a decent shop within walking distance(it would be a good walk) from home.....

E.J.
12-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Oh...and he tried on some X60's and they were terribly tight... He has WIDE feet, much like his dad, which also make it difficult to shop. RBK's seem to be a bit wider.

We have gone with Bauer EE's in the past with success.....

One of the guys at the shop, who actually helps out/coaches the LM w/ the HS team also seemed to be VERY high on the new CCM Crazy Light's.... Though again, nothing to try on and I am not big on having something shipped that we have never worn....

Total One's....$800...WTF...:r I am fairly liberal with the funds on the LM's gear...but $800 for skates....really....

ahc4353
12-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Good guys win 5. 3. Mitch had a good game. Gonna miss watchin him play when he goes to college. :sad.

Eleven
12-05-2010, 07:32 PM
My kid moved up to size 7 a few weeks ago, he had X50s but actually liked the fit of the X40s better (which is awesome, saved me like $150). Perani's in Detroit had the 40's for $320. $469 for the 50s. And yea they had those Total Ones for $800 too!

A week or so after that (less than 2 weeks ago I think?) we bought him a new stick while in St. Louis. He always tore up the one piece sticks so we went 2 piece this time. Guess what? Yea that thing got snapped today. He said a kid stepped on that joint during a play.

Luckily the blade snapped off right where it goes into the shaft, so all he needs is a new blade.

It's always something!

On a side note, please forgive my shameless plug, but his team took 2 out of 3 this weekend against the #5 team in the country, the Pittsburgh Aviators. On a side-side note, we'll be in Pittsburgh the weekend of Jan 29-30 playing them again, who wants to smoke a cigar!?!??!?!

mikethegoalie32
12-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Graf skates are the way to go. I am on my second set of player skates for Graf and have had my pair of goalie Graf skates for at least 5 years. I have tried on other boots and just cant feel the same comfort as the Graf. One of the rare companies still using solid material in all price ranges too. And like mentioned, a great WIDE skate for my fat feet.

My peewee team was in another tourney on the weekend and made it to the finals again. Unfortuantely we lost this one as we were clearly gassed. OH well, win some, lose some, have a cigar either way!

Ahbroody
12-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Scott nothing wrong with that. If yoy can't hype your kid here I will stop posting. That's what this thread is all about. Congrats to you.

Congrats also Al. Nice to see you post.

Mike atleast they got there right. Better to get to the dance then not have a ticket.

As to the Grafs
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0250.jpg
If you have big feet or a foot issue you can't go wrong. What I love about the boys skates are while they cost a few bucks more then the ccms, the build quality and comfort is so worth it. Micah can't wear easton or bauer do to boot depth and width issues.

EJ just order them. I had to order Micahs. No local shop even wanted to order them. Funny after I took them in to get sharpened one dayat one of the shops that refused we bad a talk about what a nicw boot it is.

mikethegoalie32
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Graf is huge here in Ottawa, and mostly where ever I go in Canada. You are guaranteed to see a good portion of people who are playing competitive hockey and higher wearing them. After my first bottom line pair with them, I got an $800.00 pair 2 years ago for just around $500.00 and my feet have been in heaven since.
The only issue I have ever had with Graf, is that the boot is almost too high quality. The leather they use and material on the boot is so good that my eyelits for my laces pop out very often. I also use them almost daily so that helps...
Wouldnt trade my grafs for anything.

Ahbroody
12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Agreed mike. The only pair he has had that was near as good was a pair of 892 tacks. When he out grew them I had him pick and he wanted the white Grafs. :r. Hes got a little flash in him. After confirming the build quality I ordered and couldnt be happier. Having had foot pain with most skates its really nice not dealing with it. My wife says I turned my son into a premadonna with his foot comfort and gear preferences. What ever. Hes happy, fast and comfortable. His foot is wide,fat, and tall. This or the CCM/Reebok's are the only option. I thought about the flexlites, but...... well Grafs won the cool factor. Hes the only kid with them in his league which I think is weird.

I always try to explain to parents of kids in our league if your feet hurt you dont want to skate or you cant stop thinking about it. If you cant skate you cant play. I never understand how parents will spend all this money for their kids to play then buy the wrong skate for the kid and make the kid miserable.

mikethegoalie32
12-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I completely agree. I have had the privilege to coach with the Ottawa Sens skating coach and he is also Team Canada National Womens Skating coach, and he couldn't emphasize more to our parents and kids to stop spending money on sticks, and save some of that for a great pair of skates. If you cant skate, your stick will do nothing!

12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Anyone make a size 14 skate, preferably in a wide (E) width?

I found some Hospeller's years ago in a 13 and they were the only 13 that didn't smash the hell out of my toes. They do however kill my arches and heel. I still have them but, they are not wide enough I don't think. Not sure, I've only ice skated 5-6 times in my life, but I would like to get a pair that work for me. I really want my son to get into it so I'd like to take him to the rink or on a nearby pond.

Ahbroody
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Mike what size shoe do you wear. Generally skates sizes run a size(bauer/Easton) to 1.5 (ccm/reebok) smaller then shoe size. Graf really seems to vary from model to model.
What you may have experienced is the different boot designs effect the way the skate feels.
CCM Reebok have a deeper and wider boot with a low to non existant arch.
Bauer has the shallowest and narrowest boot with a well defined arch.
Easton is in the middle of Bauer and CCM/Reebok. Some arch not a ton a little wider and deeper then Bauer but not as much as CCM/Reebok.

When you add in arch width and deepth it all effects what you are percieving in your mind as to fit. A Bauer and CCM of same sizes fit me very different. The Bauer will cause me great pain and I need an E width, the Reebok is usually pretty good standard width.

Given the size of your foot you need to find a vendor with Grafs and a vendor with CCMs and start their.

http://www.brunoshockeyshop.com Think he is in your neck of the woods. Great customer service. Or maybe some others can recommend a place. SHould be a lot of good vendors in your area. You need to get sized by a competent person and start their. Buying boots blind on the web will be a waste as your odds of getting the right boot for your foot are slim.

ahc4353
12-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Mitch loved Grafs (my wallet didn't). I told him for years they were too heavy. He gave me the look of "right". Anyway, when it came time for new skates last year he said, "I want Bauers, Grafs are too heavy".

Now why didn't I think of that!?

When you figure kids out let me know. :D

12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I wear a 14E shoe size. My right foot is almost a half size smaller though, but I can't even get my right foot into any size 13s I've seen at stores.

I've checked most shops around and find nothing higher than 13s.

Looks like Graf makes a Supra 705 that goes up to a 15 wide, but Bruno lists them at $480
http://www.brunoshockeyshop.com/collections/supra-series/products/graf-supra-705

Bauer Vapor X40 comes up to a 15 too for around $330
http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/page/product/product_id/993/category_id/23/product_name/Bauer+Vapor+X40+Hockey+Skates-+Senior

Any thoughts on these two skates?

I will check out Brunos. maybe they have some of those Supra 750s in stock that will fit. Perani's isn't too far from my work either. That is where I got the ice hockey equipent I have. I bought it and played one game as a fill in for a friend's team. Broke my thumb thanks to a slash I got in a "no checking league". I didn't know it until after the game. All I knew was that it hurt. I wouldn't mind playing ice hockey, problem is there aren't too many 31 yr old beginners. I have some stick skills and I have even played goalie a little, but it was all street, floor, and/or roller hockey. Ice is different.

Thanks again Mike

Ahbroody
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I think the bauer will be shallow. You really really got to try on the skates. Given your size you may end up paying a few extra bucks. The thing is as we mentioned above it doesnt matter how nice yoyr stick and gloves are. If you cant skate you are a plug.

As for league check for an over 35 league. We have one out here if I play again i am going over 35. I am 35 now and have no interest in playing against mr. Game 7 rec leaguer. I need to work for a living. A lot of rinks will have beginer skills classes start there.

Al you are crushing my dreams right now of having micah stay in grafs.

mikethegoalie32
12-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I wear a 14E shoe size. My right foot is almost a half size smaller though, but I can't even get my right foot into any size 13s I've seen at stores.

I've checked most shops around and find nothing higher than 13s.

Looks like Graf makes a Supra 705 that goes up to a 15 wide, but Bruno lists them at $480
http://www.brunoshockeyshop.com/collections/supra-series/products/graf-supra-705

Bauer Vapor X40 comes up to a 15 too for around $330
http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/page/product/product_id/993/category_id/23/product_name/Bauer+Vapor+X40+Hockey+Skates-+Senior

Any thoughts on these two skates?

I will check out Brunos. maybe they have some of those Supra 750s in stock that will fit. Perani's isn't too far from my work either. That is where I got the ice hockey equipent I have. I bought it and played one game as a fill in for a friend's team. Broke my thumb thanks to a slash I got in a "no checking league". I didn't know it until after the game. All I knew was that it hurt. I wouldn't mind playing ice hockey, problem is there aren't too many 31 yr old beginners. I have some stick skills and I have even played goalie a little, but it was all street, floor, and/or roller hockey. Ice is different.

Thanks again Mike

Supra 705's were my first skate, were a bit thinner then I hoped, so I went one skate size higher. Dont recommend this but I got away with it. My skating has improved drastically since getting a skate that will fit perfectly.
If you get a Graf, I can vouch that it will probably be the last skate you will buy for yourself. I dont plan on replacing my current boots ever, just getting repairs done.

mikethegoalie32
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
but in the end you just go in and try them on, everyone has preferences. I went with my friend for his first pair of skates and we tried on at least 5 different pairs, then he went with Graf!

12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys.

E.J.
12-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I have to admit that I cannot feel a noticeable different in weight in the Bauer X60, RBK 11K and the Graf G5 when holding them in my hand. The post interested me enough that I ask a shop to weigh them and I will report my findings…. Assuming they actually follow up….

E.J.
12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Pretty emotional day yesterday. Funeral for Dave and then a game that night. The team had a pretty big part in the graveyard ceremony and the funeral in general I guess. Tough stuff, could not imagine going through it as a parent/kid.

Anyway, I wish I had sound to these pics. What a great finish to the day. When Dave's son went out on the ice, his first time out there since the accident, it was a roar like you could not put into words.... I am not too proud to admit that I didn't have a dry eye then...and don't now and I remember and type. There are special moments in life and I experienced one then. I know that kid could feel the love and support from a huge community of people....it was inspiring.

Big win, he didn't let in a goal....special night.

Taking the ice and a response to the crowd....
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3994/varsityvsnorthridge21.jpg

Assume this was a good to have you back tap before the puck dropped.
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1217/varsityvsnorthridge20.jpg

End of the game....
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6643/varsityvsnorthridge31.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/972/varsityvsnorthridge32.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7509/varsityvsnorthridge36.jpg

Ahbroody
12-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Nothing wrong with shedding some tears.
I have had a few moments in my life where I couldn't stop from doing it. I checked and I still got my man card.

mikethegoalie32
12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Gotta love sport, brings sooooo many people together... Tears are always allowed in cases like this...

My peewees won 2-0 last night to the worse team in the league. They had 2 shots on our net. We should have won 15-0. They played like poop. Oh well a W is a W

Ahbroody
12-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Forgot to mention EJ as the skates you posted they are all not the super light skates.
For bauer go pick up the supreme one, easton the s17, s15, ccm u+cl. With those you will feel the weight difference. That said I think the vapor is still the most used skate in the nhl.

E.J.
12-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Ordered the G5's today at the request of the Little Man..... We talked a little last night about trying something new, the information that some of the other skates may be a little lighter on his foot ect. He said something to the effect that he knows what the G5's are on his feet and that is what he wants.

About to head to the rink.... Big game against a rival.... LM is a bit grumpy.....think he gets that from me....:sh

(4 beers and a Shark in....hope the photos are not effected....:r)

mikethegoalie32
12-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Big game! Good luck

E.J.
12-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Solid game, 4-0 win.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2372/jvvsbrighton25.jpg

Ahbroody
12-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Micah kept his goal streak alive for the 4th game.
He got tripped from behind on a breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot and buried it. I was griping as it was his last shift.

E.J.
12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Article about Dave Brown in our newspaper....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50855438-77/brown-murray-ice-hockey.html.csp

E.J.
12-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Micah kept his goal streak alive for the 4th game.
He got tripped from behind on a breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot and buried it. I was griping as it was his last shift.

:banger:banger...NICE

mikethegoalie32
12-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Great article!

My peewee kids are in a darn slump, but winning... Our forwards have hit such a dry patch, but thank god our defense are scoring. Over the last week we have faced the 3 worst teams in the league, only to win 3-0, 2-0, 2-0. We are the highest scoring team as well so these were a bit disappointing. And of those 7 goals, 5 came from a D. Last night to send a message to our forwards, we started the 3rd period with 5 D. Yup, they scored a goal. Oh well, the great teams are the ones who get through slumps while still winning! 13-2-2 at the half way mark is alright with me!

E.J.
12-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Great article!

My peewee kids are in a darn slump, but winning... Our forwards have hit such a dry patch, but thank god our defense are scoring. Over the last week we have faced the 3 worst teams in the league, only to win 3-0, 2-0, 2-0. We are the highest scoring team as well so these were a bit disappointing. And of those 7 goals, 5 came from a D. Last night to send a message to our forwards, we started the 3rd period with 5 D. Yup, they scored a goal. Oh well, the great teams are the ones who get through slumps while still winning! 13-2-2 at the half way mark is alright with me!

Can't complain too much about 3 straight shutouts....:tu

Eleven
12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Our boys made it to the final of the Mid American Silver Sticks, Peewee AA but fell short.

They had jumped up to #15 on 98rankings.com but I suspect the 2 losses (1 to a higher ranked team, 1 to a lower ranked team) this weekend may drop them a bit.

Ahbroody
12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Tough break Scott. Sorry to hear.

EJ I was behind the net and forgot to record his penalty shot. Dad fail moment.

E.J.
12-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Our boys made it to the final of the Mid American Silver Sticks, Peewee AA but fell short.

They had jumped up to #15 on 98rankings.com but I suspect the 2 losses (1 to a higher ranked team, 1 to a lower ranked team) this weekend may drop them a bit.

Just getting that far is GREAT! What a cool experience for this kids....

EJ I was behind the net and forgot to record his penalty shot. Dad fail moment.

Come on Mike! That would have been SWEET!

mikethegoalie32
12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
My dad once recorded a full semi final game with the lens cap on...

E.J.
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
My dad once recorded a full semi final game with the lens cap on...

:r

mikethegoalie32
12-13-2010, 12:53 PM
thank god we lost and I didnt wanna watch it again lol

Eleven
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Anyone ever seen "The Tournament (http://www.theseriouscomedysite.com/showreview.php?r_id=820)"? I swear we have moments like those all the time...Parents who are like some of those in the series, situations, etc etc. I think I need to rewatch em again!

Ahbroody
12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Come on Mike! That would have been SWEET!

Your telling me I was sitting there and all ofa sudden as he puts the puck on the ice I think SHIZ. I grab my phone, but to slow. I was actually really disapointed. Now I got to hope he gets another this year.

Scott the league here has a ton of policies, but not sure if any are actually enforced.

Ahbroody
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Friggin stupid. They make all kids play goal at this age atleast once. This week its Micahs turn. Practice was ugly to put it nicely. :r. Hes a screen door. Its going to be the same as last year. By the end of the game he will be frustrated, upset, and not want to play goalie.

E.J.
12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Friggin stupid. They make all kids play goal at this age atleast once. This week its Micahs turn. Practice was ugly to put it nicely. :r. Hes a screen door. Its going to be the same as last year. By the end of the game he will be frustrated, upset, and not want to play goalie.

Think they are hoping a few of them get the bug to play between the pipes... I know they just enacted a rule here for 2011 that if your HS team has more than 2 goalies, you have to make one available to be poached by teams without one....or something to that effect. I just went looking for it and cannot find it....

E.J.
12-14-2010, 11:43 AM
ARRRGGUUUUHHH...... Ordered the LM's skates online on Friday morning after my B&M shop was told by Graf Canada 5-6 weeks. I have heard HORROR STORIES about waits from Graf Canada and didn't want to be sitting around in March pissed off without skates, so online I went....

I decided that I didn't want the different graphics of the LE skates(I found these online a bit ago), so contacted Hockeymonkey, told they didn't have an 11W. Contact Totalhockey.com and they have them instock and ready to ship same day.

So what happens, my order is still not "processed", even though I was led to believe it would ship same day, then assured yesterday it will "be pulled and go out today"...

It is not so much it not shipping Friday or Monday, but why do I have the feeling that I am going to get the dreaded "backordered" email, even though I have been assured the skates are(were) in stock....

So I call Totalhockey.com and am informed "Oh, we don't have those in stock anymore, we can send you the 11R's" WTF would I want the 11R's if I ordered the 11W's....think I just like the W on the box? Second, I am not so worried about you not having the skates, just tell me that to start..... Like Lt. Vincent Hanna said.... "DON'T WASTE MY MOTHER &^%*@%$ TIME!"

So I call General Sports in MN and then decide that I will call Hockeymonkey(I emailed the first time)....and what do you know, they have them..... Skates should be on their way today....

May that was a round about way of tracking down some skates....

mikethegoalie32
12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
It will be worth every minute of time you spent!

E.J.
12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Yea, he has been very happy with his last 2 pair of G Series skates, I am sure it will all be worth it....a smooth transition.

Now the uncomfortable walk of shame, when I take them in to be sharpened and baked at my skate shop....:o

Ahbroody
12-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Well I grabbed 2 of the 5k youth sticks for micah as the price was awesome. Hope total hockey doesnt pull any crap.

Eleven
12-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Well I grabbed 2 of the 5k youth sticks for micah as the price was awesome. Hope total hockey doesnt pull any crap.

I got that email too.

We haven't ordered online, but we have been to their stores in Chicago and St. Louis and have been very happy with the product and prices.

Hope all goes well.

E.J.
12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I got that email too.

We haven't ordered online, but we have been to their stores in Chicago and St. Louis and have been very happy with the product and prices.

Hope all goes well.

What'd I miss? I didn't get any stinkin' email from HM....:td

Man I was all over the place with the camera tonight... Took A LOT of photos and seemed to be missing everything.... Case in point, great shot of a goal(abit very noisey)....just don't have the shooter....:sh

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/7990/vvjv1.jpg

Ahbroody
12-16-2010, 12:57 AM
EJ go to total hockeys site and type in 5k in the search. They have awesome prices on the sticks right now and free shipping for over 75.00 No tax for me.
I grabbed two of the 5k youth sticks at 29 each grabbed so little things to hit 75.00 Way cheaper then buying his sticks local and I got some little things I needed.

Also dont know if these will fit your daughter but youth size 12 reebok azure roller hockey skates for 64.99 with 3.99 shipping.
Only one pair left. I just bought the size 11s for Micah so they are gone from the site. These are a good skate and use the tri d system which mimics ice more as only the front or rear wheel and middle wheel are on the ground at any time. not a flat chasis where all wheels are on the floor. The new reebok 1k ones are 109
http://www.sportsfanoutlet.com/hockey-reebok-inline-skates-youth-3k-azure-black-blue.html

mikethegoalie32
12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
EJ go to total hockeys site and type in 5k in the search. They have awesome prices on the sticks right now and free shipping for over 75.00 No tax for me.
I grabbed two of the 5k youth sticks at 29 each grabbed so little things to hit 75.00 Way cheaper then buying his sticks local and I got some little things I needed.

Also dont know if these will fit your daughter but youth size 12 reebok azure roller hockey skates for 64.99 with 3.99 shipping.
Only one pair left. I just bought the size 11s for Micah so they are gone from the site. These are a good skate and use the tri d system which mimics ice more as only the front or rear wheel and middle wheel are on the ground at any time. not a flat chasis where all wheels are on the floor. The new reebok 1k ones are 109
http://www.sportsfanoutlet.com/hockey-reebok-inline-skates-youth-3k-azure-black-blue.html

I have a pair of rocker roller blades and they are fantastic. So much more like skates...

Eleven
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I traded a fake rolex tonight for a Easton 70flex shaft and blade...

I love the barter system!

My kid now has a stick waiting for him at the end of this year or beginning of next :)

Ahbroody
12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Got these thr other day. 10inch so a little big for micah but he will use them soon enough.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0267.jpg

Monkey has other eagle 10inch for 19.99
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eagle-hockey-glove-x3.html

ahc4353
12-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I have often thought about the title of this thread. As I sit in the local pub waiting for Alina to return from Penn State with Jr for the holidays and Mitch off to the city to see the GF I think back to the past 18 or so years. The vacations missed, money spent, friends made, family time spent to and from rinks all over this country and others and the memories of it all. This game of ours has taught my sons more about life, sacrifice, respect, honor, code, discipline, work ethic and the like more than I could in a life time.

For that, I'm thankful to be a hockey parent.

Enjoy the time, it goes by way to fast. Trust me.

E.J.
12-17-2010, 08:36 PM
I have often thought about the title of this thread. As I sit in the local pub waiting for Alina to return from Penn State with Jr for the holidays and Mitch off to the city to see the GF I think back to the past 18 or so years. The vacations missed, money spent, friends made, family time spent to and from rinks all over this country and others and the memories of it all. This game of ours has taught my sons more about life, sacrifice, respect, honor, code, discipline, work ethic and the like more than I could in a life time.

:banger:banger........Well put Al....and I am trying to enjoy/absorb every bit of it.... May even try to coach the Little One....as my competitive nature seems to be subdued with her(is that sexist:sh)

E.J.
12-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Mike, the Little Man wore X3's....... They were his first Eagle gloves... Still disappointed that he has TPS gloves on his hands right now.....:r

Skates arrived today.... Baked and will start to skate in them over the holiday and play in them first game after the New Year.....

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6430/newskate1.jpg

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8973/newskate2.jpg

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3979/newskate3.jpg

Oh...and I already was informed that the Orange laces are being switched over....:rolleyes:

Ahbroody
12-18-2010, 11:59 AM
I like the white ones :r. Look like micahs 370.

Micah played goalie today
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/IMAG0268.jpg
Two games. 1st game 3-3 tie. Second game they won 8-7. Looked bad in the beginning the other team jumped out to a 5-1 lead. Was proud of our boys they kept plugging away.

E.J.
12-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Excellent! 1-0-1....not a bad day!

Man...that is a lot of net to cover for the little guys....

Little Man plays at 4:45 in Provo....so we have to drive a bit today.

pnoon
12-19-2010, 09:01 AM

No matter if you're a hockey parent or not, this advice holds true for any involvement in our children's lives.

Ahbroody
12-19-2010, 10:56 AM
No matter if you're a hockey parent or not, this advice holds true for any involvement in our children's lives.

No argument there peter. I actually work swing shift just so I can raise my kids and avoid daycare. I have been blessed to experience and help my children develop and grow. I know I will cry when my first graduates hs and college as I will likely with all of them.

Als point I couldnt agree more hockey is a game of codes and honor. The codes and honor are based on respect. Couple this with a sense of sacrifice you don't find in most other sports. The player who takes a hit to get his teamate the puck, the player who dives to block a shot, etc. All this translates to building character of sacrafice and working for the greater good. Out of all the sports football, baseball, basketball and hockey I would argue that these qualities make hockey players are the least likely to get arrested, the most respectful. Creating young men and women with honor respect and character.

mikethegoalie32
12-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Hockey is a true every-persons game. Its amazing seeing all the different characters that create a team. Gentlemen, Goons, Plugs... The true joy in coaching is getting everyone with different personalities to mingle as one.

E.J.
12-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Inter-squad full scrimmage tonight... Pretty intense skate and the Little Man's side came out on top. He had a great game.....very pleased with his night...

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3513/jvovb44.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/994/jvovb45.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2513/jvovb46.jpg
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/6992/jvovb18.jpg

Ahbroody
12-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Little man got a crap ton of new gear for christmas.
New stick, new gloves, new roller hockey skates. Kid is going to be geeked in the am.

E.J.
12-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Little man got a crap ton of new gear for christmas.
New stick, new gloves, new roller hockey skates. Kid is going to be geeked in the am.

:tu:tu:tu....NICE!

mikethegoalie32
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Bell Capital Cup starts tomorrow!

http://www.bellcapitalcup.ca/

huge tourney in ottawa! You guys should consider bringing a team down in the future!

Follow my team!

Major Peewee A - Ottawa West Golden Knights!

E.J.
12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Good luck to you and your Golden Knights, Mike!

J0eybb
12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
We won 5-4 last night, tough game, I scored 2 goals. (adult hockey)

Eleven
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM

huge tourney in ottawa! You guys should consider bringing a team down in the future!

Follow my team!

Good Luck to your team! We are headed to Nashville for the Music City Invitational Tournament (http://thunderaaahockey.com/news2.php?news_id=175535).

Game will be broadcast online if anyone is interested, here (http://middletennesseesportsnetwork.com/Home_Page.html) is the link.

My son plays for the Queen City Steam, 98 birth year also.

Ahbroody
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Scott let us know the game time and I will watch

E.J.
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Follow my team!

Looks like the boys are 2-1! That last loss, looks like your boys let one in early and then couldn't find the back of the net. I assume that knocked you out. There is no bracket, so I cannot see how things play out....

Anyway, nice job!

E.J.
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Scott, I was looking to check up on your team....but I can't find anything in the way of scoring/results????

ahc4353
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Mitch went to Arizona State and got to skate a practice with the team.

He said he had a great time.

Looking forward to full details when he returns.

E.J.
01-04-2011, 09:11 PM

I am excited for Mitch.... Spending your college years as an athlete in Tempe would not suck.......:r

Ahbroody
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Al, Arizona has a d1 &d2 team. Do you know which one?
The d2 team plays sjsu. SJSU plays its home games where Micah skates. I would have no issues being his fan club if he comes. Rocking signs etc. :tu. I could even get some kids from micahs team. Not sure how the d1 d2 thing works there. Didnt even know a school could have both a d2 and d1 team.

http://www.sundevilhockey.com/

Oooo and agreed EJ. To say Tempe has some hot women is putting it mildly. Head on a swivel.

Eleven
01-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Scott, I was looking to check up on your team....but I can't find anything in the way of scoring/results????

They totally noobed up that schedule. I think only one of my kids' games were broadcast, and during game that we learned they were listed and being called the "Quad City Steam"

lol

It was a tough weekend, our boys went 2-5, but they were against some very good AAA teams.

E.J.
01-05-2011, 08:07 AM
They totally noobed up that schedule. I think only one of my kids' games were broadcast, and during game that we learned they were listed and being called the "Quad City Steam"

lol

It was a tough weekend, our boys went 2-5, but they were against some very good AAA teams.

Good for them.... Hey, 2-5 is better than 0-7 and I bet it was a great experience for them!!!!

mikethegoalie32
01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Looks like the boys are 2-1! That last loss, looks like your boys let one in early and then couldn't find the back of the net. I assume that knocked you out. There is no bracket, so I cannot see how things play out....

Anyway, nice job!

Yea, needed to go 3-0 to move on... Oh well. 1-0 loss to a team a division higher than us in regular season is a solid effort!

Now back to the regular season! If you guys want to keep track of our season, go to Ottawaminorhockey.com then go to leagues/b league/peewee (not MINOR PEEWEE!) Thats us near the top :P...

2-5 record is def much better than a 0-7 record! AAA tourneys vary all over the place with skill level...

Eleven
01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
2-5 record is def much better than a 0-7 record! AAA tourneys vary all over the place with skill level...

Without a doubt! (BTW did I say 2-5? sorry it was 2-3. 5 games total, must have had a brain fart while typing!)

They beat Carolina Hurricanes AAA and Affton Americans AA, and lost to Blue Jackets AAA, St Louis Selects AAA and Hurricanes (consolation game).

In 2009 our boys went to the Nike/Bauer Invitational in Chicago (we missed the deadline for 2010!). They had 2 divisions, AAA and Elite. We were in the AAA and the competition was solid. We went 2-2 that weekend but did not move past the pool play. The 2 teams we beat were evenly paired with us and the 2 teams we lost too were VERY good. Sun County Panthers 98's were impressive.

This tournament in Nashville only has 1 division, but again the teams varied. My son's team is listed as AA, and one of our wins was against another AA team, the Affton Americans. I think TPH Thunder (the tourney hosts) are teir 1 AAA.

So at least as far as this Nashville tournament, the teams were not exactly evenly matched, but our boys knew what they were getting into. Same with the Affton Americans, they are striving to take that next step up to Teir 1 as well.

Our boys' coach tries to get the boys into games and tournaments with higer skilled teams as often as possible. They have a very short bench, only 11 skaters and 2 goalies, so our boys are pushed to the limit every game. And they can still hang with teams like the Ohio Blue Jackets, they only beat us 4-3 I think. It was a close game.

The problem is that Tier 1 teams don't like to play Tier 2 teams very often. So we look for tournaments like Nashville to test our boys.

My son has said he would be just as happy being ranked 45th in Tier 1 hockey as he is being ranked 17th in Tier 2. He is considering trying out for the Ohio Blue Jackets next year, at the very least to see where he stands against that type of program.

ahc4353
01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Mike, it's the D1 team he was with.

He's there for another day then heads home.

E.J.
01-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Have not been to a game since the 24th... Feels like FOREVER!

Heading down South to try to pull a win this evening....'bout time...:ih

Ahbroody
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
The boys got back to action today.
Micahs goal streak is intact. Had a beautiful breakaway goal never stopped moving his feet even when he shot. Nice to see at his age, most kids are either skating or shooting, not doing both at the same time. Takes his goal total to 8 on the season. Had the camcorder on almost the whole game. Guess what happened when I shut it off. Faaaaaaaack!

ahc4353
01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
The boys got back to action today.
Micahs goal streak is intact. Had a beautiful breakaway goal never stopped moving his feet even when he shot. Nice to see at his age, most kids are either skating or shooting, not doing both at the same time. Takes his goal total to 8 on the season. Had the camcorder on almost the whole game. Guess what happened when I shut it off. Faaaaaaaack!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii201/ahc4353/thLaughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Ahbroody
01-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Tomorrow we are playing at HP Pavilon where the Sharks play.
They do this once a year for the kids.

Will make sure to take pics and leave the camcorder running the whole time. Will have family there hopefully micah gets jacked up and skates his arse off.

Eleven
01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Tomorrow we are playing at HP Pavilon where the Sharks play.
They do this once a year for the kids.

Will make sure to take pics and leave the camcorder running the whole time. Will have family there hopefully micah gets jacked up and skates his arse off.

QTF

Ahbroody
01-09-2011, 10:57 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii201/ahc4353/thLaughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Well today I recorded the whole game. On the last shift of the game micah scores a beautiful wrister to tie the game and keep his team from losing . Al I got it on tape and will be posting. Also going to try to post some clips showing his speed. He definetly had his wheels today.

E.J.
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Well today I recorded the whole game. On the last shift of the game micah scores a beautiful wrister to tie the game and keep his team from losing . Al I got it on tape and will be posting. Also going to try to post some clips showing his speed. He definetly had his wheels today.

NICE! Can't wait for the clips....

Rough night on our end.... Kids looked a half step slow and couldn't get anything going after the first, where I thought they played okay.

mikethegoalie32
01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Hahaha oh the camcorder fun! lol.

Always a fun experience to play on NHL ice, sens do that here A LOT for the kids.

Our boys have a bunch of nights off without games, but 3 straight practices... see what we can do!

E.J.
01-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Last night was not a grand success, but the Little One was sure happy to get back to "Start Smart" today....

Some training/stretching -

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3222/abbyhockey10.jpg

Drills and then a scrimmage....

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1204/abbyhockey7.jpg

Someone was pretty excited to sneak one in....:r

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5609/abbyhockey8.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4430/abbyhockey9.jpg

Ahbroody
01-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Awesome EJ.
Kind of pissed my camcorder isnt the best, but you can still see what happens. He lifted the shot, but you just cant tell in the video. You can see in the video he went to the net looking for the puck and got the pass. We have been teaching the boys to go to the front of the net and look for a pass. Micah has taken well to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UJ3bvYHZwM&feature=youtube_gdata

E.J.
01-15-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14005526

Grizzlies(local ECHL team) are having a benefit game for Dave Brown tonight. To generate interest, a local news station did a piece on Dave that I linked to above.

E.J.
01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7387/davebrowngrizzlybenefit.jpg

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7387/davebrowngrizzlybenefit.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7387/davebrowngrizzlybenefit.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7387/davebrowngrizzlybenefit.jpg

E.J.
01-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Oh...and Murray Hockey's Biggest Fan made it to the Maverik Center.... Note, she is wearing her personalized official Murray Hockey warm up suit... (guess just the top, the bottom is too big:td)
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7387/davebrowngrizzlybenefit.jpg

Eleven
01-16-2011, 01:52 PM
I wish I had my video camera today, it was a classic moment:

I was working the clock and doing music at my son's game, the whistle blew, stopping the play and he came over to the bench, talking to the coach. I couldn't hear what he was saying but the whistle blew and the puck was about to be dropped and the coach yelled at him to get back out there.

I was trying to pay attention to the puck-drop to stop the music and start the clock so I missed exactly what happened. My buddy in the booth with me keeping score said "Your kid just lost a tooth!" I found out later that he had it in his hand when he came over to the bench and when the coach yelled at him to get back out there, he just threw the tooth on the floor of the bench area and went back to hockey.

Luckily it wasn't a permanent tooth. We didn't find out that he threw it on the floor til after the game, we just assumed it was out on the ice somewhere. I was telling the Refs to keep an eye out for a tooth and they just laughed and said "good luck with that!"

J0eybb
01-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh...and Murray Hockey's Biggest Fan made it to the Maverik Center.... Note, she is wearing her personalized official Murray Hockey warm up suit... (guess just the top, the bottom is too big:td)
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7387/davebrowngrizzlybenefit.jpg

Utah Grizzlies? Oh noes.... GO Wranglers!

E.J.
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Utah Grizzlies? Oh noes.... GO Wranglers!

Yes, Utah Grizzlies:tu

83 penalty minutes last night for the Grizz last night....66 for the Thunder. Everyone in the starting line-up for both teams dropped the gloves 2 seconds into the game last night....and it didn't end there.

Still have 1 point on the Wranglers, but not for long if they don't start playing better.

E.J.
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I wish I had my video camera today, it was a classic moment:

I was working the clock and doing music at my son's game, the whistle blew, stopping the play and he came over to the bench, talking to the coach. I couldn't hear what he was saying but the whistle blew and the puck was about to be dropped and the coach yelled at him to get back out there.

I was trying to pay attention to the puck-drop to stop the music and start the clock so I missed exactly what happened. My buddy in the booth with me keeping score said "Your kid just lost a tooth!" I found out later that he had it in his hand when he came over to the bench and when the coach yelled at him to get back out there, he just threw the tooth on the floor of the bench area and went back to hockey.

Luckily it wasn't a permanent tooth. We didn't find out that he threw it on the floor til after the game, we just assumed it was out on the ice somewhere. I was telling the Refs to keep an eye out for a tooth and they just laughed and said "good luck with that!"

GREAT STORY Scott... Yes, VERY lucky it wasn't a permanent tooth....

Ahbroody
01-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice pics EJ.

J0eybb
01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, Utah Grizzlies:tu

83 penalty minutes last night for the Grizz last night....66 for the Thunder. Everyone in the starting line-up for both teams dropped the gloves 2 seconds into the game last night....and it didn't end there.

Still have 1 point on the Wranglers, but not for long if they don't start playing better.

I'd love to see that. 149PIM WOO HOOO.

Eleven
01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Boy them Grizzlies are a crazy bunch!

Coaches Gone Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agm5GydaPMo)

E.J.
01-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Going to drink a few celebratory(took down the team we are tied with in 3rd) beers downstairs, but I hope to post a pic tonight that will make up for all my doting on the kids....:r

E.J.
01-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Boom....:r

Better keep your head up Little Man....

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6807/boomvp.jpg

Ahbroody
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Did anyone get the license plate of that truck?

E.J.
01-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Did anyone get the license plate of that truck?

I hear ya Mike....:r

I actually ask him if he cared if I posted for all the friends to see(FB), he laughed and said, why not.... Spend any time out there and this is going to happen,....biggest problem was, Dad had the shutter moving...

Great game. 2 fairly evenly matched teams going at it for 1.5 hours...not a bad way to spend an evening. I had the added bonus that the Little Man was playing....:tu

Ahbroody
01-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Cut and paste from one of his youtube videos, but Micah hit this kid pretty good for some reason. I think he thought it was this one kid he doesnt like much . :r
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ahbroody/hit.png

Ahbroody
01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Micahs goal streak ended. :(
He played well had some good chances, but didnt convert.
Had a big hit again :r

E.J.
01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
"OH NO" on the goal streak..... "NICE" on the big hit!

Tell Micah streaks always come to an end, but it's time to start another...:tu

ahc4353
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
No points?!! Bench him!! Bag him!! This is not about fun it's about winning!!!!

Alina left for PA to see Jr. and now headed to Mitch's game. I'l watch him from home on fasthockey.com Not the best video but for seven bucks it beats not seeing it at all.