Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default looking for a chili recipe

Something with some spice would be nice, what ya'll got?
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: looking for a chili recipe

Here is mine... if you can get some leftover brisket it really makes a difference. Your chili powder is also a huge difference maker. Most store brands are fair at best. I like to make my own, but it is a pain. If you have the time order some from Penzey's Spices. There hot is HOT!!!

Smokin Gator’s Chili Recipe

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef or brisket
1 large onion chopped
2 jalapenos chopped
2 cans stewed tomatoes (I like the petite diced)
2 cans dark red kidney beans - drained
1-2 cans pinto beans- drained
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 tablespoons of chili powder per pound of meat
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Directions
Put onions in the a stock pot
Put meat over the onions
Add seasoned salt and paprika
Simmer covered over medium heat until onions are translucent
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapenos, 1 cup of water and the remaining seasonings.
Simmer on low for 2 hours – Adjust seasoning as needed
Add beans – simmer for 45 minutes
Let stand covered for 30 minute
Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

thanks mate. i'd leave the beans out because...well if it didn't have parents i'm not a fan but I'll be trying this soon
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

The purists may boo me but for a pretty simple but really good chile buy yourself some Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chile Mix (most Walmarts have it).

Now follow the box directions but make the following adjustments:

Add a can of Rotel juice and all - use hot rotel for a little kick
Chop up some fresh onion and brown with the meat
Don't add the hot pepper packet - just heat no flavor at all
Add a 1 or 2 fresh jalapenos chopped up for some flavor and heat
Instead of the water called for on the directions use equal amount of beef stock - I just use the Swansons in a box

Never fed it to anyone that did not think it was great!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

I have no recipe, I acutally throw all the odd and ends of meat that I have in the frig and dice it all up, grill iit up in a pan with seasoning (typically chilli powder, curry, peppers, etc) dice up some onions and all sorts of peppers. For the sause usually put a can of tomato paste, BBQ sauce, Buffalo sauce and some kind of whiskey or dark beer.
Either cook that in a crock pot over night than add a can of beans (change that up a lot too, Fried Beans or Cuban Beans have been a fav recently) and cook for a few more hours, if too liquidy than I add a little Chilli Mac pasta to it and cook for another hour or so.
If I am doing the cook top, I cook it for a few hours before putting the beans in, and usually don't need the pasta because I can take the cover off to evaporate the liquid.

Most people call my chilli the "Noah's Arch Chilli" because it usually has every type of meat in it. The best one was with the ground venison!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
The purists may boo me but for a pretty simple but really good chile buy yourself some Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chile Mix (most Walmarts have it).

Now follow the box directions but make the following adjustments:

Add a can of Rotel juice and all - use hot rotel for a little kick
Chop up some fresh onion and brown with the meat
Don't add the hot pepper packet - just heat no flavor at all
Add a 1 or 2 fresh jalapenos chopped up for some flavor and heat
Instead of the water called for on the directions use equal amount of beef stock - I just use the Swansons in a box

Never fed it to anyone that did not think it was great!
Excuse my chile spelling - read it and too late to edit. Guess I was thinking of going to South America rather than cooking.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Alton Browns chili recipe is probably the best Ive ever had. And since he makes it in a pressure cooker, It can be ready in about 40 minutes

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
slickster81
Ein weiteres Bier bitte

First Name: John
Trading: (30)
Partagas
slickster81 will become famous soon enough

1 lb ground or diced meat of choice
3 stalks celery, diced 1/2"
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced 1/2"
1 (or more) jalepenos, stemmed and minced, seeds and all
1 lg yellow onion, diced 1/2"
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tb ground cumin
1 tb good chili powder...not dollar store stuff!
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 large can Brooks' Chili Hot beans
salt and black pepper to taste.

Add meat, onion, celery, peppers, onion, garlic and spices to large heavy pot, cook until meat is browned and veggies are softened. Add the tomatoes, breaking up the whole ones slightly. Add the beans.

Simmer low and slow at least 1 hour (longer is better), stirring often.

Serve with beer bread, hot out of the oven!

We make the "sauce" every year, just the veggies, and can it, then when we want a pot of chili, just brown meat, season, add sauce and beans and simmer for a bit.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Here's mine.

3lbs ground beef (I like coarsely ground chuck)
2lbs ground buffalo (if you can't find, use all beef)
28oz can of chopped/peeled tomatoes
15oz can of tomato puree
1 12oz bottle of beer (your choice)
1 large onion diced
6 whole garlic cloves (paper skin left on)
2 dried ancho chiles (use more anchos or guajillos if unable to find the other dried chiles)
2 dried guajillo chiles
2 dried new mexico chiles
2 dried puya chiles
2 dried pasilla chiles
2 dried chile negros
2 chipotle chiles w/1Tbsp adobo sauce
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp sugar
Salt/pepper to taste
Remove stems/seeds from the dried chiles. Break up into smaller pieces (2-3in in size). In a sauté pan over medium heat, place pieces of the chiles a couple at a time in pan, pressing down with a spatula. Toast each side of the chiles briefly to blister. You should see just a wisp of smoke. Be careful not to burn. Add toasted chiles to bowl of hot water, enough to cover chiles. Use a plate if needed to submerge the chiles. Soak the chiles for 20-30 mins to rehydrate (reserve soaking liquid). At the same time as toasting the chiles, add the unpeeled garlic to the pan, occasionally turning until each clove is roasted. There will be some black spots on the garlic where it roasted in the pan. That's ok. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside to cool. Once cooled, remove paper skin.
Add rehydrated chiles, 1 cup of reserved soaking liquid, chipotles/adobo sauce, garlic, cayenne, cumin, coriander, chili powder and sugar to blender. Puree until smooth, adjusting with extra soaking liquid to achieve a consistency of bbq sauce. Strain through a kitchen strainer to remove any remaining seeds and the skins of the chiles. Use a spatula to push the puree through the strainer. Season with salt/pepper and set aside.
Working in batches in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, brown the meat mixture and the onions. Season each batch while browning with salt/pepper. Once last batch of meat is done cooking, add all the meat/onions back to pot. Add chile puree, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and beer to pot. Cover pot and bring to a simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste during cooking adding additional spices as necessary. Best if made a day or 2 ahead, to allow the flavors to combine.
Serve with favorite condiments. (Freshly chopped onions, nacho chips, cheddar cheese, cilantro, fresh chopped chiles, etc) And of course cold cerveza.

If you can't find all of the differrent dried chiles, you can use whatever you can find. I just happend to have all those in the cupboard and needed to use.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

yum...chili.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
mobarbq
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Wes
mobarbq is on a distinguished road

I just made a pot of Wick Fowler's yesterday. I made it 2-Alarm, but it's more like 3-Alarm today. Dave's right--the packet of red pepper mainly just adds heat. I do the onions the way he mentioned, and works well. Don't use a food processor though, just chop them kind of coarse. When I used onion from processor last time, it was way too onion-y. Live and learn. I have used beer in place of the liquid, but found it's best not to use an economy beer. The aroma really lingers.
Also, not too bad, kind of same process, is Carroll Shelby's Chili mix. They used to have it at Wal-Mart, too, but haven't seen it for a while. I presume they still make it. It was worth eatin'.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
mobarbq
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Wes
mobarbq is on a distinguished road

Oh, btw, I like to put a spoon or so of Mrs. Renfro's Chow-Chow on top of my chili. Or a spoonful of Pico de Gallo. If you need a good Pico de Gallo recipe, holler at me, I've got one.
Afraid to admit it, but I also like a spoon of sour cream sometimes, and even some sprinkled cheese. Purists will frown, I know. I've already been called the P-word for not taking it straight. And we won't even get into the bean discussion. I just say adjust it to your own compression ratio, and remember that beans are usually served on the side in TX.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Here is mine... if you can get some leftover brisket it really makes a difference. Your chili powder is also a huge difference maker. Most store brands are fair at best. I like to make my own, but it is a pain. If you have the time order some from Penzey's Spices. There hot is HOT!!!

Smokin Gator’s Chili Recipe

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef or brisket
1 large onion chopped
2 jalapenos chopped
2 cans stewed tomatoes (I like the petite diced)
2 cans dark red kidney beans - drained
1-2 cans pinto beans- drained
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 tablespoons of chili powder per pound of meat
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Directions
Put onions in the a stock pot
Put meat over the onions
Add seasoned salt and paprika
Simmer covered over medium heat until onions are translucent
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapenos, 1 cup of water and the remaining seasonings.
Simmer on low for 2 hours – Adjust seasoning as needed
Add beans – simmer for 45 minutes
Let stand covered for 30 minute
How much does this make?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Here's one that I make, it's from the old Bill Cosby show.

Cliff explains to his family why it's essential to wait three days before eating his famous chili: "If you tasted this on the first day, you'd say, 'What can did this come out of?' If you tasted this on the second day, you'd say, 'Oh my goodness, somebody's grandmother got up off her chair and just took this to the mountain!' But on the third day you don't even have to taste it. You just walk by the pot and something says, 'Hey, come here!'"

Ding Dong Eight-Alarm Chili
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...m-Chili-108488
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
How much does this make?
Pretty close to a gallon.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

BUMP!!! Any of you folks have a good no beans chili recipe? I have never left out the beans before.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I really like Emeril's chili recipe, but it's not spicy by any means, but you can always add all the additional peppers/hot sauce that you see fit. I usually make it according to the recipe and then add Sriracha hot sauce, jalapenos, or sprinkling more cayenne pepper over the top.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions
Salt
Cayenne
2 pounds stew meat
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
3 cups crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
1 cup canned dark red kidney beans
2 tablespoons masa flour
4 tablespoons water
1 bag Tortilla Chips
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
6 tablespoons sour cream
1 small jar of jalapenos

Directions

In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season with salt and cayenne. Stir in the stew meat, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Brown the meat for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, and beans. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the liquid, uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender. Skim off the fat occasionally. Mix the masa and water together. Slowly stir in the masa slurry and continue to cook for 30 minutes. Reseason with salt and cayenne. Place a handful of the chips in each shallow bowl. Spoon the chili over the chips. Garnish with the grated cheese, sour cream and jalapenos.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #18
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
BUMP!!! Any of you folks have a good no beans chili recipe? I have never left out the beans before.
Sure-

Just take any good chili recipe and omit the beans. I'd think that in order to add more "bulk" in its place, you might add a bit additional elbow macaroni or something in its place to thicken it back up. I never use the chili beans in any chili I make, although I think if I were to add any beans, it would be black beans from now on.

Here was a highly rated recipe on allrecipes using black beans: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fantast...ck-bean-chili/
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Here is my quick recipe. I use this one when I don't have time to make real chili.

2 cans Bush's Chili starter
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
1 can cilantro lime rotell
1 small can diced green chilis
2lbs ground beef
1 liptons onion pack
1 big spoonful of bacon grease
black pepper
1/2 cup beef stock
1 can/bottle dark beer

Start cooking the ground beef in a large pan, add the bacon grease, onion pack, and pepper to ground beef when it is about 1/2 way done. add beef stock, stir to combine all ingredients. cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

while the meat is cooking, add all other ingredients to crock pot or large soup pot. Once the meat is done, add it to the pot and let cook on low for 4-8 hours. the longer it cooks, the stronger the flavors become.

optional: add 1 can/bottle of dark beer for a unique flavored chili
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Just increase the number of chipotle peppers and amount of adobo sauce if you want it spicier.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can adapt it to a regular pot with a longer cook, you'll have to add more liquid since you'll have more boil off.

You can also thicken other chili recipes with with a teaspoon or two of masa harina, takes about 10 minutes to thicken and for the corn flavor to cook out.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote