Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default The Great White Hunter?

So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed.
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,235
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Muskrats-groundsquirells 4

Tim 0

hahahahah
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place
 
WildBlueSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
First Name: James
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,322
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

That story is hilarious! I have faith that you will eventually get revenge!
__________________
"To dilute the will to win is to destroy the purpose of the game. There is no substitute for victory"-- Douglas MacArthur
WildBlueSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
taltos
Really, really old
 
taltos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Paul
Location: Saugus, MA
Posts: 2,486
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed.
Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.
__________________
Jimmy, some of its magic, some of its tragic, but I had a good life all the way. He Went to Paris, J. Buffett
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.
It's playing live in my backyard!
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Kwilkinson
Still Watching My Back
 
Kwilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Kyle
Location: Chicago
Posts: 188
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Kwilkinson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

This cracked me up.
Kwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV
 
TripleF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 5,626
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dice
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 10,123
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.
__________________

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple
 
DPD6030's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andrew
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 7,159
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...
 
lightning9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Kevin
Posts: 1,007
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
__________________
I eat gummy bears by tearing them limb from limb and eating their heads last.
lightning9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #11
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds.
It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me?
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
dunng
MassHole
 
dunng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: MassHole
Posts: 4,719
Trading: (59)
Cohiba
dunng has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Got any dynamite?
__________________
MassHole Banter
dunng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
RevSmoke's Avatar
4
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Todd
Location: Northcentral woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 5,667
Trading: (44)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Great White Hunter?

Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)
__________________
Todd__ "Smoke what you like, and enjoy it!"
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)
Is Mocha a mouser? I don't need a retriever.
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple
 
DPD6030's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andrew
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 7,159
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me?
Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick
I'll try that call. Not real confident, though.

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show!
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #17
ahc4353
Virtutis Praemium Honor
 
ahc4353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Al
Location: At work.
Posts: 5,050
Trading: (17)
RyJ
ahc4353 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Great White Hunter?

Tim's theme song.
__________________
“But I mean, things happen. You just gotta… gotta deal.” - Al Jr. on breaking his back. STORY
ahc4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Tim's theme song.
Thanks, Al. Now they got names.

That'll make it harder to end their whirling and twirling with my muzzle (NOT)!

__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple
 
DPD6030's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andrew
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 7,159
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I'll try that call. Not real confident, though.

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show!
Headshots enough said!
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
ahc4353
Virtutis Praemium Honor
 
ahc4353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Al
Location: At work.
Posts: 5,050
Trading: (17)
RyJ
ahc4353 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Headshots enough said!
You ASSUME he can shoot.
__________________
“But I mean, things happen. You just gotta… gotta deal.” - Al Jr. on breaking his back. STORY
ahc4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.