Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #1741
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: Losing Weight with Starscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9689 View Post
In a little over a year, I've managed to drop 70lbs (290 to 220) while losing 14% body fat (34% to 20%). Eating about 2000 cals per day (with one cheat day per week), working out 7 days a week (5 days of cardio, 2 days of core/strength).

After I reached my goal of 220 in March 2011, I started eating 3000 cals (or so) per day and working out 5 days per week (3 with personal trainer for strength and 2 days of cardio). I've managed to gain 3lbs and I've lost 1.4% body fat in 3 months. Also took some measurements in May and will remeasure in July to see how I'm progressing as well.

Hoping to stay around 220(ish) while dropping off some more body fat and gaining muscle over the next year or so, but no real specific goals other then to maintain and enjoy my new look!
Congrats!!! 290? My high point was 260 mid April. 224 this morning. Old guys need to do less calories so have been on a 1000-1500 calorie regimin for the past couple with massive cheating on the weekends. Goal was 225 adjusted to 215 now. Hope to be there before the 4th, cuz it'll be ugly on the 5th or 6th.

Put the "fat Dave" clothes away about a month ago. Getting to the point where I may need to buy some "skinny Dave" ones pretty soon.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #1742
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Put the "fat Dave" clothes away about a month ago. Getting to the point where I may need to buy some "skinny Dave" ones pretty soon.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #1743
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Just finished Fat Head.
I feel as though I just created a lot more reading for myself.
And I think I'm more confused now about what is the right course of action.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #1744
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I watched Fat Head and figured out what I always knew. THings are good in moderation. We are eating more carbs because they are easy. Does this make sense?
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #1745
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Congrats!!! 290? My high point was 260 mid April. 224 this morning. Old guys need to do less calories so have been on a 1000-1500 calorie regimin for the past couple with massive cheating on the weekends. Goal was 225 adjusted to 215 now. Hope to be there before the 4th, cuz it'll be ugly on the 5th or 6th.

Keep it up, Dave!

BTW, I liked your daily push-up idea.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #1746
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Ouch! According to the Wii, I gained 3.7 lbs on my night off. Is this the bounceback effect I've read about? We did have a meat-lovers pizza for dinner last night, but I only ate two slices (down from my usual 4).
Just out of curiosity, I redid the body test after my 30 min workout, and apparently lost a pound.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #1747
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Bravo, Dave! I hope to be under 300 by the SH! And at my goal by the next one! But, as has been said- losing weight is the easy part- keeping it off is the real challenge!

Jeff- there are SO MANY variables in daily weighing- you need to weigh once a week wearing the same amount of clothing to get a good comparison. Your pizza was likely salty- so much of that weight gain was likely water weight. So, no worries, my friend.

Day three on Medifast for me. So far, so good. Looking forward to my Friday weigh-in. Was at Red Robin yesterday and was a good boy- just a grilled chicken salad with low cal dressing in very small amounts, and forwent the croutons. Can't say I'm not hungry, but so be it!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #1748
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Ouch! According to the Wii, I gained 3.7 lbs on my night off. Is this the bounceback effect I've read about? We did have a meat-lovers pizza for dinner last night, but I only ate two slices (down from my usual 4).
Just out of curiosity, I redid the body test after my 30 min workout, and apparently lost a pound.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daily weigh ins can be depressing. Sometimes they dont reflect the effort we put in.

I do it but tend to use it as motivation before a workout. (Pre workout weigh ins help push the cardio a bit for me). Typically, I lose 1.5-2 lbs in my hour long routine. Of course much of it it gets gained back by drinking a bunch of water after wards.

Weighed the same 224 this morning as yesterday, after hitting it hard last night and consuming about 900 calories yesterday. The body is a fickle thing. Smoked 3 cigars yesterday - maybe nicotine helops retain water, who knows.

Figure if I stick with it, sometime late next week or 2 should break the 220 barrier for the first time. We are gaining muscle mass along with losing fat so ... in reality losing 35 pounds might be more like 50 pounds of fat ... netting 15 pounds of muscle out of the mix.

Feeling better about yourself is just as important as getting fitter, slimmer etc.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #1749
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

203.0 today. Won't be long till I hit the 190's. By Saturday, I'd think. The boss is away at work and I don't eat much at all when she's not home, mostly cause I'm lazy.
Tonight I'll probably have rice or noodles which will be my food for the day, aside from maybe a couple fun-size Butterfingers and a pop-tart.
Yesterday I had a subway. Half for lunch, half for dinner. Four cookies and a pop-tart, too. I worked hard all day throwing dirt, so it was a good weight losing day.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #1750
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't worry too much about daily weigh-ins. Like others have mentioned already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Bravo, Dave! I hope to be under 300 by the SH! And at my goal by the next one! But, as has been said- losing weight is the easy part- keeping it off is the real challenge!

Jeff- there are SO MANY variables in daily weighing- you need to weigh once a week wearing the same amount of clothing to get a good comparison. Your pizza was likely salty- so much of that weight gain was likely water weight. So, no worries, my friend.

Day three on Medifast for me. So far, so good. Looking forward to my Friday weigh-in. Was at Red Robin yesterday and was a good boy- just a grilled chicken salad with low cal dressing in very small amounts, and forwent the croutons. Can't say I'm not hungry, but so be it!
Stick with it, Hugh. You got this!

After all the hype in here, I finally watched Fathead. It had it's good moments, and it's ok moments, but overall I would agree with him.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #1751
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

You're correct Andy about the movie. It's an interesting watch if only to get you to question the status quo, even if you don't end up believing what he's trying say.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #1752
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

what he's saying in that movie is factual, but the big thing is that everyone is different.

I'm on the road in Nunavut, and surprised to have found internet here. I've totally stuck to my gameplan but its been really hard cuz of the lack of food in general, but i brought cans of tuna and stuff and am making the best of what i can. Temptation everywhere, but i will not give in, i want to lose weight too badly now, and having no cravings since quitting carbs/sugar is making it easier (as ive said a thousand times) and keeping my motivated.

keep up the good work all!
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #1753
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
You're correct Andy about the movie. It's an interesting watch if only to get you to question the status quo, even if you don't end up believing what he's trying say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonlady View Post
I watched Fat Head and figured out what I always knew. THings are good in moderation. We are eating more carbs because they are easy. Does this make sense?
That's just it for me, I don't know what to believe.
Should I be eating bacon in moderation or carbs?
I will admit that since I started dieting I do feel weaker and more lethargic, which I wasn't sure was possible.
But I am losing weight!
My walking has all but come to an end.
It started due to the poor weather we had,and now that it's nice I don't have the energy.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #1754
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

if you lowered your fat intake, and are still eating carbs, thats why you're feeling tire and lethargic. Increase the fat and protein and get rid of the carbs and you'll feel better! There will be some initial withdrawl, but then you'll feel like a million bux.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #1755
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Dom, are you drinking a lot of regular soda? Just wondering if you could be crashing from the sugar/caffeine buzz.

Not to push you towards a lower/low carb lifestyle since it's a decision we need to make ourselves, but I agree with Myles. Since I've adopted a lower carb lifestyle my energy level has increased tremendously. When i say lower carb, I"m talking less than 150g a day, half of what the government says we should be taking in. Just to give you an idea of what I'm eating, here's what I had yesterday.

Breakfast
Dannon No Fat Greek Style Yogurt
Banana

Lunch
Mushroom burger with goat cheese and tomato on a toasted english muffin
100g of carrots
75g of yellow grape tomatoes

Midday snack
orange

Dinner
Eggplant Lasagna. Basically regular lasagna but half the pasta replaced with thin slices of eggplant.

Nighttime snack
100g smoked salmon
28g cashews

Based on the app on my phone, that was ~1600 calories with 139g net carbs, 28g of fiber, 97g of protein and 65g of fat.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #1756
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Dom, are you drinking a lot of regular soda? Just wondering if you could be crashing from the sugar/caffeine buzz.
No Bob, I drink probably 60% water and 40% coffee with half and half and splenda.
Maybe 3 times a week I have a 20oz bottle of diet soda with lunch, but that's it for the day.

I think I like the idea of the low carbs, I just think keeping the calories down will be the challenge for me.
I'm still trying to find a way to track calories that works for me.
The apps and websites seem too tedious for me and I don't care for the interface.
I may just have to buck up, go old school, and get a book.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #1757
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
That's just it for me, I don't know what to believe.
Should I be eating bacon in moderation or carbs?
I will admit that since I started dieting I do feel weaker and more lethargic, which I wasn't sure was possible.
But I am losing weight!
My walking has all but come to an end.
It started due to the poor weather we had,and now that it's nice I don't have the energy.
I would keep the bacon in moderation. Eat plenty of meats, proteins and fats, but what the documentary didn't discuss was sodium intake. Sodium isn't good for you. Bacon, sausage, country ham... I would stick with mostly beef (hamburger and steaks) and poultry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
if you lowered your fat intake, and are still eating carbs, thats why you're feeling tire and lethargic. Increase the fat and protein and get rid of the carbs and you'll feel better! There will be some initial withdrawl, but then you'll feel like a million bux.
This. You have to have meat, good old red meat to survive, be healthy, and feel good. It's what the human body has survived off of since day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
No Bob, I drink probably 60% water and 40% coffee with half and half and splenda.
Maybe 3 times a week I have a 20oz bottle of diet soda with lunch, but that's it for the day.

I think I like the idea of the low carbs, I just think keeping the calories down will be the challenge for me.
I'm still trying to find a way to track calories that works for me.
The apps and websites seem too tedious for me and I don't care for the interface.
I may just have to buck up, go old school, and get a book.
I'm with you on the tracking lately, but that's why I've failed the last three weeks. Tracking sucks and can be tedious, but it has to be done. If you've got the cash to spare, Weight Watchers is only about $20 a month and has the best tracking system I've found.

Nutrimirror is free, but it's even more tedious than Weight Watchers.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #1758
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I guess that's why people are different. I don't find the tracking tedious at all. If I miss a meal or even a few days like when I'm out of town, I"m ok with that. I'm to the point now though where I can guestimate portion sizes pretty good. And now that I get full sooner, I don't eat everything on the plate when I go out for a meal.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #1759
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I ate everything in the world yesterday. The wild fluctuations in the pressure have my muscles totally screwed up. This morning I had snakes crawling under my skin, a phenomenon I haven't had for about a year, controlled by meds. I'm getting almost instant "warm-up effect" which means I climb the steps and all my muscles go rock hard. I have no idea what I did, or if I have anything to do with it at all.
The tie-in is that with the constant working of muscles, it's like I'm doing a 24-7 cardio and I get starved, and I eat to catch up to it.
Today should be quite an adventure.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #1760
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Congrats to you as well! That's awesome!

Thanks! Yeah, went off the deep end while living out of a hotel in 2010 while working in Chicago and still residing in St. Louis. No physical activity and eating out with no restrictions really took a toll on my weight.

A slim 225 Dave huh? Gotta look good for your 4th of July Extravagana @ The Shack?

I had all my suits and button down shirts tailored a couple of months back, it was amazing how loose they were. I can't lie, feels good to buy "L" instead of "XXL".
Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote