Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default reminiscing

I was sitting here at work an hour or so ago and thinking about old times and people.

Most of you know that my wife had family in Massachusetts and we used to travel up there at least once a year. Her Dad passed away in 2006, and her step mom passed in December 2009, and that's the last time we have been up there. We were just talking yesterday about how I would like to go back to visit someday. Sadly two of her step siblings died in the last several years, and she only had a half sister and step sister that still lives in Gardner. One is strung out on dope and the other is just hard to be around so I doubt we will make it up there anytime soon.

Wasn't trying to make this about them though, just that it all got me to thinking about the old days of the heyday of Masshole Banter and the people that used to be on the thread almost 24/7. I sent Vin a message a little while ago and asked about Bao. I still message Greg (Dunng) every now and again. Al fell off the face of the earth way back. and Paul (Taltos) was who got me started thinking about all this in the first place. Charlie (Alleyoop) passed too I think. Whatever happened to Moe? Tim (14holestogie) still posts once in a blue moon. Ryan (mediccook) Powers became a college professor I think, Shvictor I am friends with on facebook, Brent (smokingator) I haven't talked to in several years or seen him on here for that matter. Tim Ricker was a regular too, and Yazzie I haven't seen here in ages either.

Just a little walk down memory lane and I know all of our lives have changed and some of ours have changed a lot over the years, just thinking back to when life seemed simpler and normal back in the days that Masshole Banter was a mile a minute.
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
CigarNut
Really?
 
CigarNut's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Michael
Location: Clermont, Florida
Posts: 15,572
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: reminiscing

My wife and I were recently talking along the same lines. We both grew up in California, and I have one living brother there. If I don't reach out to him, I won't hear from him.

My wife still has high school friends down there, but people and life move on.

CA has a life and is evolving all the time. I like to think for the better

We all miss people from our past, and have some good (and bad) memeories of those times.

I am trying to focus on making more memories with the people in my life now, and reconnecting with people from my past and my family as time and opportunity permit.

Good luck, Greg! I'm glad to know you.
__________________
Need Beads?
Need Five Finger Bags?

Falling down is part of life, getting back up is living.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
My wife and I were recently talking along the same lines. We both grew up in California, and I have one living brother there. If I don't reach out to him, I won't hear from him.

My wife still has high school friends down there, but people and life move on.

CA has a life and is evolving all the time. I like to think for the better

We all miss people from our past, and have some good (and bad) memeories of those times.

I am trying to focus on making more memories with the people in my life now, and reconnecting with people from my past and my family as time and opportunity permit.

Good luck, Greg! I'm glad to know you.
Hey Michael, thanks for replying. I think CA is great, just as it was way back when. Every once and again I do get lost in my mind of old times with all the loss my family (as I am sure everyone has had) has had over the last decade. I only allow myself to stay there for short periods. Definitely look forward to all we have left brother. Take the trip to Cali my friend, as I don't think you will regret it. It's why I go to Maggie Valley twice a year now to spend time with my Dad, he will be 74 this coming August and even though he only lives about 20 minutes from me, I still enjoy being in the mountains with him.
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...
 
massphatness's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Vin
Location: MassHolia
Posts: 10,710
Trading: (205)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
back in the days that Masshole Banter was a mile a minute.
Thems was the days, Greg.

It's become harder to stay connected in a world where it's increasingly easy to disconnect. My experience over the years has been that this hobby brings us together and binds us for a time, but as people's lives move on, sometimes their interest in the cigar world wanes. When that happens, there's a natural drift that takes place. I've been fortunate to meet a number of guys through these forums whom I can truly call a friend -- irrespective of whether or not we share a cigar ever again. But when I take an honest look, there's a lot less of those guys than I would have said five or six years ago; not because I've lost friends, but because my definition of a friend changed. There's a whole host of guys I consider to be cigar buddies, but just a handful I would count as true friends.

There's one guy I think about a lot, and that's Al. We used to talk a few times a week, and I did truly consider him a friend. I miss having that guy around the boards and as someone to just shoot the sh!t with. Others have drifted in and out of my orbit over the years, but if I'm honest, most were pleasant acquaintances rather than real friends. They'd drop off the board for a bit (or longer than a bit), and my interactions with them would drop off as well.

Those MassHole banter days were fun times. I must still have a couple hundred of those MassHole stickers dunng made up for us. I hope my cigar buddies from those days are doing well - or resting peacefully. I'd still happily share a smoke with them all.
__________________
Help Support The Navy SEAL Foundation: HERE
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Thems was the days, Greg.

It's become harder to stay connected in a world where it's increasingly easy to disconnect. My experience over the years has been that this hobby brings us together and binds us for a time, but as people's lives move on, sometimes their interest in the cigar world wanes. When that happens, there's a natural drift that takes place. I've been fortunate to meet a number of guys through these forums whom I can truly call a friend -- irrespective of whether or not we share a cigar ever again. But when I take an honest look, there's a lot less of those guys than I would have said five or six years ago; not because I've lost friends, but because my definition of a friend changed. There's a whole host of guys I consider to be cigar buddies, but just a handful I would count as true friends.

There's one guy I think about a lot, and that's Al. We used to talk a few times a week, and I did truly consider him a friend. I miss having that guy around the boards and as someone to just shoot the sh!t with. Others have drifted in and out of my orbit over the years, but if I'm honest, most were pleasant acquaintances rather than real friends. They'd drop off the board for a bit (or longer than a bit), and my interactions with them would drop off as well.

Those MassHole banter days were fun times. I must still have a couple hundred of those MassHole stickers dunng made up for us. I hope my cigar buddies from those days are doing well - or resting peacefully. I'd still happily share a smoke with them all.
That makes a lot of sense Vin. I can only add that although I never met Al in person, he is the first person that reached out to me when my wife and I were up in Gardner for what was to be a three week stay (and I was going to get to go to your HERF) but got cut short after only a few days when my wife's mother tragically died in a house fire back home. So we had to saddle up and head back home. Al called me on the phone and when I answered he said hey man I don't even know what to say, and I told him he didn't have to say anything, the act of calling was enough to let me know how he felt. Al spent a lot of time trying to make people think he was a tough guy (and maybe he was) but he also had a golden heart inside his chest too!!!!
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

It's also hard to believe for me that I joined Club Stogie in 2006, and joined here as soon as it started. Wow that's been 11 years.
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA
 
pnoon's Avatar
12
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Peter
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,825
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: reminiscing

Greg-A lot of folks have passed through Club Stogie, Cigar Asylum, and a bunch of other boards. Some became our friends. Some even had their families connect. The eye-opening part for me is finding out some have passed.

I stay in touch with many I've met over the years. Some have drifted away. But it is the brotherhood and humanity we share that reminds me why I put so much of myself into Club Stogie and CA. Those communities contributed so much to my life (and hopefully mine to theirs). If my contributions to CA can provide that kind of platform for others, then it is worth every search, PM, and post.
__________________
I'm going recreational.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
-John Wooden

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douche Bag
 
icehog3's Avatar
11
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: Mr. Mofongo
Posts: 55,256
Trading: (58)
RA
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: reminiscing

Lots of good people in that first post, Greg. I've been lucky enough to see Bao and Moe every summer at Vin's herf, but I haven't been as fortunate with some of the others.
__________________


Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank and Týr.
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty
 
Tio Gato's Avatar
7
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jeff
Location: South East of Disorder
Posts: 1,389
Trading: (9)
RA
Tio Gato is a jewel in the roughTio Gato is a jewel in the roughTio Gato is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Lots of good people in that first post, Greg. I've been lucky enough to see Bao and Moe every summer at Vin's herf, but I haven't been as fortunate with some of the others.
Greg, now there's a great reason to visit Mass! Herf!
__________________
"You stink like cigars Uncle Kitty!" Said my Boo age 3.
Count your Blessings every day, live and love like it's your last.
Tio Gato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
Greg, now there's a great reason to visit Mass! Herf!
That's true Uncle Cat!!!!
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
SmokeyJoe
Club Deck Member
 
SmokeyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,023
Trading: (26)
VR
SmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to beholdSmokeyJoe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: reminiscing

You're a good man, Greg. You are one of the folks who makes CA feel like family. I know I am not around like I used to be... but I still appreciate the folks on this board and all of the camaraderie. Blessings on you all.
__________________
"I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God..." ~ Charles H. Spurgeon, British Baptist preacher
SmokeyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
RevSmoke's Avatar
5
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Todd
Location: Northcentral woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 5,677
Trading: (44)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

I know that I am one who has been around since the inception here. In fact, I told Tim (14holestogie) about this place. I was never into the banter stuff much. I do think of a few people here as friends who I would definitely look up if I got into their area.

I am one who has been around, then been gone, then back, then gone, then... you get the idea.

Both my boys are members, but neither posts much.

I do miss the days when this board was more active.

It is good to see the old familiar faces here in this thread.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
__________________
Todd__ "Smoke what you like, and enjoy it!"
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
stearns
Dogbert Consultant
 
stearns's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ben
Location: RiNo
Posts: 3,852
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is just really nicestearns is just really nicestearns is just really nicestearns is just really nicestearns is just really nice
Default Re: reminiscing

This is a tough one to respond to. It's hard to watch things change and see people come and go, but it's a reality. I remember spending hours every single day on the old chat room, with the main screen up and 5 other mini windows with private conversations, people I spoke to every day. The conversations usually started as "what have you been smoking recently" and went in any possible direction from there. I miss those days, but am very thankful. It's been close to 10 years since I went to Google and searched "best cigar forum" and joined up on CS, I thought I had found a hidden world full of people who were of a different breed than the normal. Never would I have thought that a decade later I'd still feel the same way. Thank you everybody who was there then, and who has come and/or gone since then. I have come and gone during different time periods in there as well, but it always feels good when I come home
__________________
"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really really well" - Andy Dwyer
stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Steve
Screen Name Steve
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Steve
Location: 17 R 435648 3354895
Posts: 6,807
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

__________________
...So don't sit upon the shoreline and say you're satisfied,
Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance that tide
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
You're a good man, Greg. You are one of the folks who makes CA feel like family. I know I am not around like I used to be... but I still appreciate the folks on this board and all of the camaraderie. Blessings on you all.
Joe, thanks my friend. I am not as active as I used to be either but I do check in almost daily. I believe you are one of the good men too brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I know that I am one who has been around since the inception here. In fact, I told Tim (14holestogie) about this place. I was never into the banter stuff much. I do think of a few people here as friends who I would definitely look up if I got into their area.

I am one who has been around, then been gone, then back, then gone, then... you get the idea.

Both my boys are members, but neither posts much.

I do miss the days when this board was more active.

It is good to see the old familiar faces here in this thread.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Well said my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
This is a tough one to respond to. It's hard to watch things change and see people come and go, but it's a reality. I remember spending hours every single day on the old chat room, with the main screen up and 5 other mini windows with private conversations, people I spoke to every day. The conversations usually started as "what have you been smoking recently" and went in any possible direction from there. I miss those days, but am very thankful. It's been close to 10 years since I went to Google and searched "best cigar forum" and joined up on CS, I thought I had found a hidden world full of people who were of a different breed than the normal. Never would I have thought that a decade later I'd still feel the same way. Thank you everybody who was there then, and who has come and/or gone since then. I have come and gone during different time periods in there as well, but it always feels good when I come home
I agree with the hard to see things change Ben, but as you already stated change is gonna come whether we accept it or kick and scream all the way through it. I like what you say and agree about the hidden world full of people who were/are of a different breed than the normal. This is one of the only places I have ever been a part of that I could meet face to face with after only "knowing" them on the forum, and would feel totally at ease with when actually meeting them. There are people that I have met and spent some time with that I will always count as friends whether it's been a week or ten years since I saw them or talked to them last. This really is a special place with a special bunch of people for sure.
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #16
MarkinOR
Formerly MarkinCA
 
MarkinOR's Avatar
10
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 6,155
Trading: (40)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: reminiscing

Wow! This thread needs a box of Kleenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
You're a good man, Greg. You are one of the folks who makes CA feel like family...
...He's still a post whore Joe
__________________
"Don't Worry...GOD will work out His plans for your life..." Psalm 138 8
MarkinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #17
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Wow! This thread needs a box of Kleenex



...He's still a post whore Joe
Shut up or I will have to bomb you some lilac vegetal aftershave!
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
MarkinOR
Formerly MarkinCA
 
MarkinOR's Avatar
10
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 6,155
Trading: (40)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Shut up or I will have to bomb you some lilac vegetal aftershave!
That'd probably give you a woody huh?!?
__________________
"Don't Worry...GOD will work out His plans for your life..." Psalm 138 8
MarkinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
G G
BR549
 
G G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: Taylor, FL.
Posts: 12,255
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud ofG G has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
That'd probably give you a woody huh?!?
You are a cruel mean man Mark!!!!!
__________________

I did not!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #20
Steve
Screen Name Steve
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Steve
Location: 17 R 435648 3354895
Posts: 6,807
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: reminiscing

I was thinking the other day about some of the classic bombs of the past. One of the best was a group bomb that GG organized and he had everyone bombing the heck out of each other. Classic!
__________________
...So don't sit upon the shoreline and say you're satisfied,
Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance that tide
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.