Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Green Beans ordered for 2017

Every Christmas-tide I order my coffee for the next year, usually because I receive a few monetary gifts from some members. So, here is the order for this coming year.

Ethiopian Natural Sidamo 4 FTO Oromia - 20#

Haitian High Altitude Typica Gwo Chwall - 5#

Kenya Peaberry Muhugu Estate - 20#

Colombian Supremo Popayan - 20#

Hoping that holds me for the whole year!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Green Beans ordered for 2017

Rev, do you do your own roasting?
Old 12-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Rev, do you do your own roasting?
Yes, for about 17 years now. Use a Fresh Roast 2000 coffee roaster to do so. Have already used up a Fresh Roast 5.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Sounds great, Todd, especially the two African beans.

Me, I gotta grit my teeth and make do with store-generic cans of mud.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Sounds great, Todd, especially the two African beans.

Me, I gotta grit my teeth and make do with store-generic cans of mud.
What do you pay for a can of mud?

If you look at what I picked up, (including the Haitian which is treat-myself splurge and more than I'd spend normally) I am getting 65 pounds of coffee shipped, for less than $400. That's about $6 a pound, but about $5,50 a pound for 60 pounds worth, the Haitian is a big difference.

You can get into an introductory roaster for about $130. I've had mine for about 6 years now, after the first one finally gave up the ghost.

For the difference in fresh roasted coffee, it is amazing. And I am guessing, not truly much more expensive than the "mud" you are drinking.

Once a week I get coffee other than at home, it is the day of the Men's Morning Bible Study. I think it rude to sit there and not patronize the shop, so I get a cup there. Although, I have brought the owner some of my fresh roasted coffee, for they buy theirs elsewhere, and the owner was duly impressed.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Mud normally runs (or oozes) about 2 bucks a can, so around half the price of your beans. And though I am sure your brew is at least twice as good, I still could not justify it on my budget. But I am glad someone I know and like gets to enjoy it.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I like your choices, but that's a lot of green coffee beans. I only order about 10-12 pounds at a time, how do you store your green beans?
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I like your choices, but that's a lot of green coffee beans. I only order about 10-12 pounds at a time, how do you store your green beans?
Just in the cupboard. Looked into it once and learned that as long as they do not get moldy, they are good for quite a while. I had 5# of Jamaican Blue Mountain that I used very sparingly for special occasions, it has been in my cupboard for 4 years.

Now, I may be wrong, but there have been no problems with the beans I have had around.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Looks like you have a nice selection lined-up for 2017 Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
Like Todd, I simply store mine in the bottom cupboard, where its dark and cool. Try to keep as much air out of the bag when I reseal it and store it after a roasting session.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Greentud
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
VR
Greentud is on a distinguished road

What do you store then in after roasting?
Greentud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Looks like you have a nice selection lined-up for 2017 Todd

Like Todd, I simply store mine in the bottom cupboard, where its dark and cool. Try to keep as much air out of the bag when I reseal it and store it after a roasting session.
I even store mine in burlap bags, letting the air in. It allows air flow which keeps the mold from growing.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentud View Post
What do you store then in after roasting?
I roast about a week's worth, keeping the roasted beans in an old Del Monte Grapefriut sections container.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I even store mine in burlap bags, letting the air in. It allows air flow which keeps the mold from growing.
Well, I haven't been sent a large order in "burlap" to date, but I do know that the company I order from does indeed store their numerous burlap bags in the warehouse, and can do so in the right conditions.

My beans simply arrive in thick sealed plastic sacks (5#). To date, I guess I've been fortunate not to have experienced mold on the green beans. Then again, I don't worry about it.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Mud normally runs (or oozes) about 2 bucks a can, so around half the price of your beans. And though I am sure your brew is at least twice as good, I still could not justify it on my budget. But I am glad someone I know and like gets to enjoy it.
I have not seen coffee in the store for $2 a can. What are you buying?

Do you have grinder, or is buying roasted beans out of the question?
Old 12-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Well, I haven't been sent a large order in "burlap" to date, but I do know that the company I order from does indeed store their numerous burlap bags in the warehouse, and can do so in the right conditions.

My beans simply arrive in thick sealed plastic sacks (5#). To date, I guess I've been fortunate not to have experienced mold on the green beans. Then again, I don't worry about it.
Coffee Bean Corral used to send their orders out in burlap bags. I kept them around, so even if I order from someplace that sends their beans in plastic, I have burlap bags for storage.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I have not seen coffee in the store for $2 a can. What are you buying?

Do you have grinder, or is buying roasted beans out of the question?
On occasion name brands like Maxwell House, Folgers, etc. are on sale. Otherwise my local grocery Stop&Shop has its "Guaranteed Value" house brand that sells for 2 bucks a can every day. It's not great coffee, but it does the job.

I do have a Krups grinder and splurge on beans rarely, using Mayorga, Starbucks, and Dunkin in the past. Of course I like these better, but cannot fit this into my budget often. As for green beans, I've had fresh roast a few time, but have never done so myself. Too much like work.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
As for green beans, I've had fresh roast a few time, but have never done so myself. Too much like work.
...but its fun work. Especially with all of the coffee bean chaff flying around during the roasting process, and getting in your hair and... wait a second... I don't have any hair... well anyways, its fun work