Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Deadwood Sweet Jane

I picked one of these up while down in Florida. According to the company website:

http://deadwoodtobacco.com/cigars/sweetjane/

.......the cigar "not a flavored or infused cigar. Sweet Jane is sized at 5×46 for your cigar smoking pleasure and is easy on the palate."

I wanted to try one, as I had heard it was a limited production from the lads at Drew Estates. I am admittedly a fanboy - JD is a smart, innovative and somewhat (shall we say) eccentric chap. I have had the pleasure of meeting him, and the enthusiasm he has for his work is infectious. He has been great for the cigar world, even though the establishment reportedly stated that "Acid" would be a success when pigs fly. Well it seems they do, and he even has cheekily produced the "Flying Pig". His story is compelling....

Anyway, back to the "Sweet Jane". I straight cut the end and popped it in my mouth, as was alarmed to discover a syrupy sweetness on the wrapper. Oh, this is most definitely a flavored cigar. The taste is of simple syrup - it is a cloying (to my palate) overwhelming sweetness. I like my coffee black, strong and bitter - this is not cool!

I almost chucked it on the spot, but decided to TOFTT. The sweetness dominates the front of the mouth, and with some effort, I could discern some tobacco flavors, but more in the realm of aromatic pipe tobacco - perhaps some vanilla Cavendish. In truth, I had a hard time tasting anything because of the sugar.

It is clearly a long fill cigar with first ash at about 4cm in. At that point it is clearly burning hot - with a spear tip and exploding wrapper. I was smoking at my normal pace, do I must assume that whatever it is infused with influences the burn.

The last inch or so was more enjoyable - perhaps the sugar fading and allowing the nuance of dark, earthy tobacco to come through.

The aftertaste of sweetness lingered past my first espresso.

Overall this is not a cigar for serious cigar smokers. Aromatic pipe smokers might find it interesting, but I honestly would never smoke one again. If you have any, isolate them from your other cigars.