Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about
Default Next best thing to an Aristocrat?

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a little bit of help. My ever so lovely wife wanted to surprise me with a new humidor for our anniversary, but didn't realize how expensive a replacement for my 28 bottle Vino would be. It's been giving me troubles keeping a decent humidity level, and I think she's just tired of hearing me complain about it. A friend recommended Aristocrat when she reached out to him for a recommendation. Fortunately for him, the price of an Aristocrat is within budget, but not so much for me, unfortunately.

I was hoping someone here could give a recommendation on a humidor that has cooling and humidification built into it, but doesn't run in the four figure price range. If I could find something that held 750 loose cigars that would be pretty cool. Or something thereabouts. Does anyone here have something like this that wasn't so expensive? Perhaps around $500? Perhaps I'm crazy to think this is possible?

Any help is appreciated.

Drew
Old 10-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Next best thing to an Aristocrat?

How many loose cigars do you actually have Drew? 750 loose cigars (and depending on the rg and size) would translate somewhere between 30 and 37.5 boxes (depending on whether you are looking at 20ct or 25 ct boxes)...
Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Put a cooler in the garage. Should be cool in the Ohio winter
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Hey Drew, a few guy here have had luck with keeping an eye on craigslist. I've seen some real steals so if you can use a cooler for now and can take your time looking you might find a great deal.

I don't know if this is close to you and might be a bit out of price range, but there are some out there, this was right on the first page of results.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/5283421461.html
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with Mamba, a 120qt cooler is perfect, but if you are looking for something with more pizzazz to showoff....go with the Galleria or Lauderdale, but they do not have built in humidification system, but a couple of lbs of beads will be perfect:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidor...-humidors.html

They used to have an "Make me an offer" option, but I'm not sure if they do or not, but when I got my Tower I offered them 15% which they accepted.

If you don't want to go the beads route you could spurge & get the Set It & Forget It from Avallo

http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html
Old 10-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Why do you need cooling? I have two friends with them and I think it is a waste of money; takes up a lot of room, noisy, and of little use if the power goes out.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Hey Drew, a few guy here have had luck with keeping an eye on craigslist. I've seen some real steals so if you can use a cooler for now and can take your time looking you might find a great deal.

I don't know if this is close to you and might be a bit out of price range, but there are some out there, this was right on the first page of results.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/5283421461.html
Wow; this darn thing is within a few miles of my house. Never priced one like this before; do you all think this is worth $1,000 for a VinoTemp? Not sure I would spend this much, but it's tempting.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Wow; this darn thing is within a few miles of my house. Never priced one like this before; do you all think this is worth $1,000 for a VinoTemp? Not sure I would spend this much, but it's tempting.
Yeah, wow. A new one shipped is $4000+. That's quite a bargain. But I can't find any reviews online that speak to its quality, reliability, etc.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Looks great but that is a stock picture, could be worth it to go take a look make him an offer and see if you can haggle him down.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback; may do that this weekend if it's still available.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

That one in the CL ad looks great. If you haggle, get on splitting the delivery charge or see if he can deliver it. That looks like a b**** to move and you don't want to f it up while doing it.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
AdamJoshua

You could probably hire a local mover / truck for an hour if they are that close to your house, maybe you can get him to knock the 100 bucks off the price that you'd pay to move it, that being said it looks like it's a pretty good steal to start with.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

You are not going to find a large cabinet humidor with cooling unit for $500 unless you get absolutely lucky. If I were you, make sure you have an A/C in your house/apt and buy a nice cabinet without cooling.

Be careful with that Vinotemp on CL... it looks like a traditional compressor cooled unit which many people would not use for cigars.

There is a nice looking, large cabinet being sold in Cincinnati for $725.
Dimensions: 6ft 8.5inch Tall, 3ft 6inch wide, 1ft 5inch deep
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

AC in a humidor is a waste of money unless it's connected to generator when the rest of the house is not.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #15
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Consider a non temperature controlled humidor, maybe? This would definitely cut the cost of a new humidor.

I'm not so sure there is a lot of benefit in keeping the temperature < 70 degrees if the humidor is located in a temperature controlled building. If you are concerned about beetles, then freeze your cigars?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #16
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
AC in a humidor is a waste of money unless it's connected to generator when the rest of the house is not.
I lived in a house with no A/C and my cooled Aristocrat was a life saver.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

Evening everyone,

Sorry for my absence since asking for some advice. That's the life of a small business owner I suppose.

750 may be a little large for what I need currently. But I like the idea of having space to grow into. I would estimate now that I have somewhere between 425 - 475 sticks.

The reason that I am looking for something similar to my Vino is that we live in a 110 year old house. The HVAC isn't awesome, and due to the age of the house would require a load of money to upgrade. My Vino sits in my office that receives minimal AC or heat, so the temp in the room can be 8 or 10 degrees above/below the rest of the house. It isn't a real problem in the Fall and Winter in that the temp drops to the mid to low 60s. In the Summer when the room sits at 78 or so the cooling takes care of the climate inside the Vino. We unfortunately don't have a garage for a cooler, and don't have a basement that I would feel comfortable using for storage.

I like the idea of having the Vino in an area where I can easily grab a smoke if I find myself with a little extra time in the evening. Someone commented that the possibility of finding a cooled cabinet for $500 would be sheer luck, and I agree. I like the idea of having some room to grow, but an actual cabinet would be far too much room. It would be pathetic at how empty one would look.

I was hoping someone here had something they could recommend. If I Google for some options I can find some vendors who sell lower than others, but what I really wanted to avoid was dropping some cash on a humidor that just wasn't up to par. I love my Vino, I just hate that my RH is all over the place.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:37 AM   #18
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Just as a kookie thought - Maybe you could put a packaged HVAC system, like what you might find in many hotel rooms into your office. Then, both you and your cigars would be more comfortable.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:01 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Just as a kookie thought - Maybe you could put a packaged HVAC system, like what you might find in many hotel rooms into your office. Then, both you and your cigars would be more comfortable.
This is what I would focus on too. Great, your cigars ar 70 degrees, but the rest of the house is sweltering... Get the house or room comfortable and then you're all set!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

Exactly, go to Costco or Walmart and buy a portable A/C unit. Turn it on when needed, save energy when you don't. That is what I was going to do before buying a new house.