Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Daniel Marshall DK24KT torpedo

When I was looking for a new house I only had one thing that was non negotiable, the house had to have room for a man cave with walk-in humidor, so when I bought my house that was the room that was finished first. My boss knows I’m a cigar geek, that’s the reason he hired me, and gave me a cool housewarming gift. For the last 18 months I’ve been waiting for the right time to smoke it and last Monday was that night. It was my birthday, it was raining outside, my girlfriend is a 13 hour flight away so I could use a ‘pick me up’ moments. That’s Anthony Bourdain’s no reservations Singapore on YouTube, as I’m going there soon, and this DM 24KT golden torpedo 2011, a gold plated torpedo made by Quesada for humidor maker turned cigar brand owner Daniel Marshall.

The cigar comes in a coffin which mentions the website thegoldencigar.com, a website that shows up black on my iPhone and iPad. When you pay so much attention to the cigar, why use such a simple and ugly band? And why mention a website that doesn’t work on mobile devices? The cool thing is that the gold plating is so thin you can see the veins. Construction feels good but the gold makes it hard to smell anything. Wetting the cap for the cut is a bit of a weird sensation, a weird metallic taste. The cut cap looks cool tough and the predraw is fine yet flavorless, only if I focus real hard I taste a metallic taste and some pepper, but it’s all faint.

Once lit I taste toasty peppery flavors but soon there is some sweetness too. And of course a metallic flavor, but that’s no surprise. After a centimeter I taste a weird wooden flavor, still with that metals undertone. After a third it’s spicy again, like red pepper with the metallic flavor and the wood.

The wood gets stronger, and I get a toast flavor again, of course with the metal. Halfway the toast disappears again with the pepper returning. Later on the cigar gets ashy.

I get a decent amount of smoke from this cigar, pretty thick. The ash is golden, but a lighter shade than the pre burn. It looks weird, the dark ash in the inner core and the golden outside. The burn is a bit crooked, but how do you correct it? The ash is firm because of the melted gold. This cigar is medium bodied and medium flavored. Because of the gold the cigar burns very slow, it lasted me 2 hours.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, it’s a $250 gimmick, but now I want to try the Royal Danish gimmick as well.

Appearance: 9
Construction: 8
Draw: 8
Burn: 6
Smoke & ash: 7
Aroma first part: 6
Aroma second part: 6.5
Aroma third part: 5.5
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Daniel Marshall DK24KT torpedo

Wow, Ferdie! I Can't Imagine That Metallic Cover Tasted Good. Thanks For The Review, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I didn't taste good, but hey, it was fun to smoke a cigar most people will only look at
Old 08-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I didn't taste good, but hey, it was fun to smoke a cigar most people will only look at
True!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote