Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
aodfan
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
aodfan is on a distinguished road
Default Buying used humidors?

Hello,

I did a couple of searches but did not find what I was looking for. I am wondering if it is a good idea to buy a used humidor or just buy new? I am kind of weary of buying a used on ebay and what I should look for. This being a new adventure, I don't really want to splurge a lot, if you know what I mean.

Thanks
aodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Buying used humidors?

Buying a used humidor is like buying a used car. If you can't inspect it and judge its condition (or have someone you trust inspect it) then you may not get what you want. Same is true for new, but new ones often can be exchanged if the humidor isn't in good shape.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Mark has good points. One thing to remember is once you get it to let it season. Who knows what conditions its been stored in.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Inspect first

I'd check out craigslist if you're set on buying used, there are oodles of them everywhere. At least that way you can go pick it up and make sure that it is what you think it is
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I would not buy from Ebay, mostly cheap Chinese products. Craiglist sellers tend to overprice humidors for the most part. You'll find a lot of $50 humidors priced for $100. Lots of good new products from reputable vendors.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Many of us have had good luck with cheaphumidors.com.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Check, check, and re-check, there is alot more then just the shiny outside... I'm looking at buying a wineador and I'm going over everything with a fine tooth comb
Old 07-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Like others have said above, inspection is a must. I bought a 300 count small tower from Craigslist a couple years ago. Before I met the guy I asked if it was only used to store cigars, and he said yes, so I met the seller in a public place. Cosmetically it was fine, but the "sniff test" discovered that it had a strong odor of infused cigars. The seller then admitted that it had only been used for infused cigars and aromatic pipe tobacco. That really wasn't what I was looking for, but he then offered it so cheaply that I decided to buy it and see if I could deodorize it. Every method failed, so I re-purposed and now keep my own infused cigars in it. But personal inspection is the key to success on buying used humidors.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I've seen some good humidors on craigslist but you have to hunt. I would check with your local B&Ms to see if they sell used humidors too.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
badbriar

Cuban Crafters has great prices as does Overstock.com
Old 07-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I think that this question misses a very important point that seems simple to me. You are a part of the world's finest cigar
board. All you have to do is post a thread in WTB or surf the WTS (want to sell) threads for a humidor. I doubt anyone
on this board would try to sell you a bad humidor, most would convert it to a document box or something instead. I have
several humidors on hand that I would sell, although I never thought of it much owing to the cost of shipping large items.
And I do not mean to seem snarky or anything, just trying to emphasize what everyone here learns soon enough; that you
have a wonderful resource here, and it would be smart to use it as often as you can. I had two gray ink cartridges for my
Canon printer that I bought in a moment of doofus. I just put up a thread offering to send them free to anyone who could
use them and they were gone in days. This forum is woefully slow in a lot of areas, but not because the people here are not
top notch. Stuff that happens elsewhere is effectively stopped here. There's a reason they call it the Asylum. Its a safe haven.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

OLS has a solid point, I purchased a great used Humi from one of the older forums when it was still alive and it was the best purchase I have made in the cigar world. I still kick myself for selling it.

If you are buying from craigslist make sure to inspect everything....also see how long it has sat empty if at all. A co-worker gave me is old humi, I started to season it and I guess it was cheap and too dried out, the sides literally split.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Don't get glass. I like Craftsmans Bench and Savoy.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Seeing as you are brand new, the wtb and wts threads might take a bit to open up to you, after time "doors will open", but until then I would listen to the gentleman above and welcome to the Asylum!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I'd buy used only if you want a fancy humidor that would be out of your price range or fancy some kind of antique.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
aodfan
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
aodfan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. After some research, I think for now I am going to go with the Tupperdor approach for now.
aodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I would avoid ebay and check craigslist. You need to see the condition and see if it seals properly. Dollar test is easy. There are some great online retailers with great prices. I love supporting my B&M but humidor prices in store are usually insane though you can find some deals. Also post up a wanted to buy post. Forum brothers are usually straight forward and trustworthy and will help you out.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

First Name: Dave
Trading: (35)
HUpmann
DAFU will become famous soon enoughDAFU will become famous soon enough

If you're just looking for a cheaper, functional humi I'd agree with some place like cheaphumidors.com. That being said I did buy a very nice used, solid walnut humi on E-Bay, but it's not often you'd find something like that.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
I would avoid ebay and check craigslist.
Craigslist is a great option if you can find something of interest. Nothing like seeing something in person before buying. I have bought several cigar accessories on CL over the years. A few of which I have flipped and made a few bucks.