Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default It Was Fifty Years Ago Today

You almost certainly know that tonight marks the 50th anniversary of the first appearance of The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, marking the beginning of what was dubbed The British Invasion, and the start of Beatlemania here in the States. Though you younger guys also certainly know their music, and may even consider yourself a fan of it, you likely cannot fully understand what Beatlemania actually was, and what a huge and lasting impact it made here. We had seen fans put the fanatic into devotion of their idols before, starting at least as early as the visit of Charles Dickens here (first in 1842 then again in 1867-68), and, in more recent memory, with Frank Sinatra a century later in 1942 with his Paramount Theater appearance then again in 1956 when Elvis stunned America from that same stage from which The Beatles would launch their conquest 7 1/2 years later. We have seen it since those days too, from Michael Jackson to Justin Bieber. But we have never, NEVER, NEVER!, seen the likes of Beatlemania, and may never ever see the same again.

This may be hard for you to believe, or even grasp the possibility, but as one who lived through that time I can assure you this is correct. For years after that night you could scarcely go anywhere without hearing their music, without seeing their images, without encountering their fans or their imitators . . . or, to be fair, their detractors. Still, rabid fan, casual one, indifferent spectator, or equally rabid hater, everybody knew those boys from Liverpool, and everyone was talking about them.

And why do I say all this? Well, in case you are sitting there wondering what all the hoopla's all about tonight with this highly-touted anniversary, thinking to yourself "OK, so what? What's the big deal?", I simply wish to tell you that we who DO get it understand why you DON'T get it. You could not possibly get it, since you did not witness it. Still, take it from one who did see it . . . it was a big deal, was a bigger deal than you can comprehend, and it continues to be a big deal.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: It Was Fifty Years Ago Today

Was a music group correct? Seems like alot of hoopla to put into a music group (or any celebrity type) for that matter, not like they won a war or anything... Sorry just my .02
Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Was a music group correct? Seems like alot of hoopla to put into a music group (or any celebrity type) for that matter, not like they won a war or anything... Sorry just my .02
You can argue against the "morality" or "rightness" of the phenomenon if you want, but you cannot dispute the historical fact that it happened.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I understand that it happened, just seems like a lot of nothing, again just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
I understand that it happened, just seems like a lot of nothing, again just my opinion.
And as I plainly stated in my original post, I understand why you don't get it.

But consider for a moment the historical context. For instance, America was still in a state of shock and grief from the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas just a few months earlier, and needed badly to find something to alleviate that pain and confusion. The Beatles helped in that regard tremendously. You can liken it to the restart of baseball after 9/11 when, for a brief time, everybody became Yankee fans. On Sept. 18th in Comiskey Park, White Sox fans greeted the visiting Yankees with cheers and signs reading "Chicago Loves New York" and "We Are All Yankees". Critics lamented the fact that baseball resumed only 6 days after the terror attacks, and even the players themselves questioned the wisdom of restarting the season so soon. But they soon realized how much the nation needed the game, to aid in the healing process.

You DID live through this, and know what I mean.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
What's the big deal?", I simply wish to tell you that we who DO get it understand why you DON'T get it. You could not possibly get it, since you did not witness it. Still, take it from one who did see it . . . it was a big deal, was a bigger deal than you can comprehend, and it continues to be a big deal.
Well-said, Thomas.
The most amazing thing was the days after that 1st appearance on Ed Sullivan. I was in 8th grade in Chicago. Nothing got done in classes. We were agog, foaming like a nest of mad robins. The looks on our teachers, aghast that us little darlings had lost our minds over The Beatles.
I had the great good fortune to see The Beatles at Comiskey Park, home of the White Sox, on Aug 20, 1965. Hardly heard the music -- was all screaming. My ears still ringing.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

I am trying to picture you two in Bobby socks and Poodle skirts
Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

This happened during one of the only times I lived in the USA as a child. I remember seeing them on Ed Sullivan, and putting underpants on my head(mop-top) and dancing around to the laughter of my mother. I remember being jealous of the neighborhood kid who had a record player in his room and a Beatles album.

I remember playing the Hard Day's Night LP until it was worn out. I remember getting some of the 45RPMs as well, including a couple with the songs in German! A more innocent time.....
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
In 1598 Sir George Clifford led an attack on Puerto Rico and burned San Juan to the ground. He won a war. That next year The Globe Theater opened, featuring the contemporary works of William Shakespeare. He was merely a writer.

Yes, winning wars is what one should be remember for, not simple cultural trifles. Everybody remembers Sir Clifford, with good reason. Who ever heard of this Shakespeare guy . . . and who cares?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I really thought you would go with, "It was 50 years ago today, Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play."

Mike is just upset we aren't celebrating some Beyonce milestone, he'll get over it.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

I loved the Beatles when I was a kid and I still have many of the lyrics burned into my memory. They even had a Saturday morning cartoon.
Somehow I lost interest and now I don't much like their music any more.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I really thought you would go with, "It was 50 years ago today, Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play."
Though it was a definite reference, that album was released June 1, 1967. Twenty years before would be, of course, 1947, so today's today (not yesterday) would be closing in on 67 years ago, or three more than when it's 64.

Don't know if that's fixing a hole in the logic, as it's looking through a glass onion.

(Oh, and Beyonce's a walrus.)
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Watched them on Ed Sullivan and really didn't get it at the time. It was Top 40 and Motown on the AM radio for me. It took awhile for me get into the Beatles and start buying their albums. Probably bought a couple of 45s first.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:

Mike is just upset we aren't celebrating some Beyonce milestone, he'll get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Though it was a definite reference, that album was released June 1, 1967. Twenty years before would be, of course, 1947, so today's today (not yesterday) would be closing in on 67 years ago, or three more than when it's 64.

Don't know if that's fixing a hole in the logic, as it's looking through a glass onion.

(Oh, and Beyonce's a walrus.)
As you said some would not get it...

....if the shoe fits.

You missed the whole point of his post.

Lived through it. Still listen to the albums - eve on 33 rpm sometimes, for nostalgics sake.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

This is what I was going to post when I started reading the thread, and then there it was. You scare me, Adam.

I wasn't old enough to get the Sullivan show...but I lived in Detroit as a kid and was a huge Motown fan....yet the first song I remember in my life was "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I am old enough and remember it all.

Starting buying records after seeing them at age 10 to listen and learn.
My oldest brother started a band shortly after. I'd beat on the drummer's drums until my brother would come home and beat on me.
Dreamed up ways to purchase my own drum set at age 13. Been playing for the 46 years since that.
Started me on cd's when they finally came out in the late 80's.
Have you heard McCartney's latest? He's still got it.

Yup, they had no effect on me.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
As you said some would not get it...

....if the shoe fits.

You missed the whole point of his post.

Lived through it. Still listen to the albums - eve on 33 rpm sometimes, for nostalgics sake.
Hate auto correct on IPad.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
This is what I was going to post when I started reading the thread, and then there it was. You scare me, Adam.
Well then either they don't get us, or we don't get "the point of this post".

Though I wasn't around then I love reading about them and watching the old documentaries on them, the one produced by Ed Sullivan's company is one of my favorites, showing the helicopter ride to Flushing Meadows and the ride in the armored van to Shea Stadium is unreal.

The old photos of the streets packed with people, hundreds of signs, the hotel they stayed at literally got mail sacks full of fan mail for weeks after they had left. Just mind blowing the reaction they caused every where they went.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
Watched them on Ed Sullivan and really didn't get it at the time.
I must confess I didn't either, but that does not mean I did not witness the phenomenon known as Beatlemania. And THAT was my whole point. You may not have noticed, but I neither praised nor condemned The Beatles and/or their music. All I did was note an historical occurrence, one I felt that those who were not there do not appreciate.

Seems I was right.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

My sister still has EVERY Beatles LP! Too bad that doesn't include the rare original cover of Yesterday and Today!