Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
MithShrike
I'm allergic to peanuts.
 
MithShrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Matt
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 729
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
MithShrike is on a distinguished road
Default I have finally found a vodka I like.

I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25947
__________________
Matt
TexCigars
MithShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25947
I have never even heard of that Vodka, let alone tried it, however, it sounds interesting, and if I can find a bottle this weekend, I'll give it a go!

Like you, except for Ketel One, I do not care for any of the Vodkas you mentioned at the top. Over the last few years, I have come to really like Chopin (about $30), Staraya Moskva (about$20) & the Stolichnaya Gold (about $28)! The Gold is much different than the standard Stoli, offering a lot of spiciness. I also like Ketel One!
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Heatmiser
Still Watching Your Rack
 
Heatmiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 211
Trading: (1)
Heatmiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

I drink my bourbon, tequila and scotch straight. Vodka, on the other hand, is one that I will only drink when mixed. To me, the best vodka is one that has no taste or smell and will dissolve into a mixed drink. My favorites in this category are Tito's and Kettle One. Both are priced extremely reasonable.
__________________
She receive hair on chest and her vagine hang like sleeve of wizard
Heatmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
I drink my bourbon, tequila and scotch straight. Vodka, on the other hand, is one that I will only drink when mixed. To me, the best vodka is one that has no taste or smell and will dissolve into a mixed drink. My favorites in this category are Tito's and Kettle One. Both are priced extremely reasonable.
Taste is very subjective, but even so, you are the first I have ever heard, describe Ketel One as tasteless and void of aroma. Ketel One is kind of my go to Vodka, and I and many others I know, find it to offer a very intense mineral, flowery aroma, with very distinct flavors of smoke & licorice, with a light flowery finish.
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Heatmiser
Still Watching Your Rack
 
Heatmiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 211
Trading: (1)
Heatmiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Taste is very subjective, but even so, you are the first I have ever heard, describe Ketel One as tasteless and void of aroma. Ketel One is kind of my go to Vodka, and I and many others I know, find it to offer a very intense mineral, flowery aroma, with very distinct flavors of smoke & licorice, with a light flowery finish.
These two have done fine for me in mixed drinks which is really the only time I will drink vodka. Me and a bunch of my buddies had a tasting of 18 different vodkas about a year ago. Our tasting was done straight with no ice and at room temperature. Ketel One and Tito's were the two that rose to the top for me over the others I tried which were: Jewel of Russia, Ciroc, Stoli Elite, Grey Goose, Effen, Smirnoff, Imperia, Hangar One, Chopin, Absolut, Belvedere, Blue Ice, Finlandia, Idol, Level, Pravda.

What other vodka would you recommend that is tasteless, reasonably priced and void of aroma?
__________________
She receive hair on chest and her vagine hang like sleeve of wizard
Heatmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
These two have done fine for me in mixed drinks which is really the only time I will drink vodka. Me and a bunch of my buddies had a tasting of 18 different vodkas about a year ago. Our tasting was done straight with no ice and at room temperature. Ketel One and Tito's were the two that rose to the top for me over the others I tried which were: Jewel of Russia, Ciroc, Stoli Elite, Grey Goose, Effen, Smirnoff, Imperia, Hangar One, Chopin, Absolut, Belvedere, Blue Ice, Finlandia, Idol, Level, Pravda.

What other vodka would you recommend that is tasteless, reasonably priced and void of aroma?
That's a difficult question, at least for me, because when I sample a vodka for the first time or two and it offers no aroma and is virtually tasteless, I completely put it out of my mind. I prefer to drink vodka over ice or martini style.

I have tried most of the ones used in your tasting, but not all of them. The ones I really like are Jewel of Russia, Chopin, Blue Ice and Hanger One!
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
perogee
Still Watching My Back
 
perogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Robert
Location: Kananaskis
Posts: 213
Trading: (7)
perogee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

So far my favorite is Banff Ice, but that may be because I am a sucker for local things
__________________
Evolving Leafer
perogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douche Bag
 
icehog3's Avatar
11
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: Mr. Mofongo
Posts: 55,207
Trading: (58)
RA
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

I am not a big fan of vodka.





__________________


Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank and Týr.
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando
 
Scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Sussex, NJ
Posts: 2,742
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I am not a big fan of vodka.





hahahahahahahaha!!
__________________
"Ray when someone asks you if your a GOD you say yes."
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home
 
Buena Fortuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Sam
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 632
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

There is nothing other than Grey Goose, all others are wannabees
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
Don Fernando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ferdinand
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 9,797
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25947
I hope you understand that, by posting this, you gave the Massholes some valuable information on their retaliation strike.
__________________
check out my reviews on my blog.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douche Bag
 
icehog3's Avatar
11
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: Mr. Mofongo
Posts: 55,207
Trading: (58)
RA
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
There is nothing other than Grey Goose, all others are wannabees
Posted via Mobile Device
I respectfully disagree.
__________________


Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank and Týr.
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
There is nothing other than Grey Goose, all others are wannabees
Posted via Mobile Device
No disrespect intended my friend, but you really need to get a life!!! LOL!
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
havana_lover
another day in Paradise
 
havana_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 101
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
havana_lover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Grey Goose isnt bad, one of the only vodka that I drink.. everyone other one I have tried tastes like hair spray in the aftertaste.. not good.. Blahhhh
havana_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douche Bag
 
icehog3's Avatar
11
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: Mr. Mofongo
Posts: 55,207
Trading: (58)
RA
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana_lover View Post
Grey Goose isnt bad, one of the only vodka that I drink.. everyone other one I have tried tastes like hair spray in the aftertaste.. not good.. Blahhhh
Question, Oliver....how to you know what hair spray tastes like?
__________________


Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank and Týr.
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
MithShrike
I'm allergic to peanuts.
 
MithShrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Matt
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 729
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
MithShrike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I hope you understand that, by posting this, you gave the Massholes some valuable information on their retaliation strike.
I sure hope they don't retaliate more than they already have... 23 cigars, a box of cookies, and a digital camera... I'm still rebuilding here man.
__________________
Matt
TexCigars
MithShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
goalie204
Have My Own Room
 
goalie204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
First Name: Myles
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,659
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Try opulent, or Ciroc(made from grapeS) my 2 favs.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #18
Don Fernando
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
Don Fernando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ferdinand
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 9,797
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I sure hope they don't retaliate more than they already have... 23 cigars, a box of cookies, and a digital camera... I'm still rebuilding here man.
I know them, the pain ain't over yet.
__________________
check out my reviews on my blog.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #19
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home
 
Buena Fortuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Sam
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 632
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Ciroc is a tasty alternative, I must say
__________________
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
rizzle
Order Restored
 
rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: st pete, fl
Posts: 2,679
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25947
Heresy!!
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.