Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Pipe Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

we need some banter, somewhat pipe related would be nice.

but this place is dead. the crickets are telling ME to keep it down




as inspired by Slow T, I have self-blended my first experiment

~3 parts MB VA No1
~1 part black cavendish (not entirely sure who made it or anything, it was a gift from TOB9595)

they've been in a ziplock for 4 days now. at day 7 I'm gonna try a bowl and see how it is.

anyone else try any simple blending like this?

anyone else still check this forum?

I sure like the churchwarden my brother got me for Christmas, it screams "intelligent... crime solver... genius pimp" and some other things
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

This pipe forum needs some juice to get it going. Yee haw.

(I was going to post a nude-carved meerschaum but I was too embarrassed.)
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
nadav
Just in from the Storm
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
Trading: (0)
nadav is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
anyone else still check this forum?
Yep. I just got my first pipe a few days ago - a Savinelli. Good times.
nadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

I recently got my first Savinelli, a churchwarden from my brother (ridmaster). smokes like a dream, and it makes me look considerably smarter while puffing

Moo, I can't figure out why this place isn't any more active, we should recruit some folks perhaps
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
MiloFinch
Just in from the Storm
 
MiloFinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21
Trading: (0)
MiloFinch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

I would think that there aren't too many pipers in general, and this place is relatively new. So what can we do?

Naked women usually do the trick.

But I guess we'd have to bait and switch them, because not too many of that around here.
MiloFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
schnell987
Grateful to the 11
 
schnell987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 40.802237,-74.783871
Posts: 147
Trading: (2)
HdM
schnell987 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Maybe change the forum name to something like "XXX Naked Supermodels & Pipers Forum".
__________________
schnell987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Da Klugs
Juan of 11
 
Da Klugs's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dave
Location: Right here
Posts: 3,888
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

I smoke an occasional pipe. Problem is, for me, one bowl and I don't feel like smoking anymore. Tend to have one when I know I only have that much time.
__________________
Communities Not Commodities.
Punctuation challenged, but trying. 2 time defending Shack Cornhole finals losers.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
schnell987
Grateful to the 11
 
schnell987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 40.802237,-74.783871
Posts: 147
Trading: (2)
HdM
schnell987 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
as inspired by Slow T, I have self-blended my first experiment

~3 parts MB VA No1
~1 part black cavendish (not entirely sure who made it or anything, it was a gift from TOB9595)

they've been in a ziplock for 4 days now. at day 7 I'm gonna try a bowl and see how it is.

anyone else try any simple blending like this?
I was going to try blending the two "aromatic" blends that I currently have - "very cherry" and "vanilla" into cherry vanilla (seems to make sense).

You noted that you will keep the new blend of tobaccos in the ziplock for 7 days...Would it work to just take some of each tobacco, mix them together and fill the pipe? Or is it recommended that to truly "blend" the flavors, the tobaccos should have time to rest together?
__________________
schnell987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
FrequenC
Look Away! I'm Hideous!!
 
FrequenC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Alex
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Posts: 209
Trading: (9)
PL
FrequenC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
I was going to try blending the two "aromatic" blends that I currently have - "very cherry" and "vanilla" into cherry vanilla (seems to make sense).

You noted that you will keep the new blend of tobaccos in the ziplock for 7 days...Would it work to just take some of each tobacco, mix them together and fill the pipe? Or is it recommended that to truly "blend" the flavors, the tobaccos should have time to rest together?
You can simply mix 2 blends into one bowl and smoke it and you will get a combination of the flavors, but you will get a much better marriage of flavors by making a mix and allowing it to sit together for a while, the longer the better!

I've done this with blends before and noticed a huge difference from day one to day 8 and an even bigger difference on day 28. Part of the fun of the hobby is making your own blends and seeing which work well together!
__________________
Cheers!
-Alex
FrequenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
I was going to try blending the two "aromatic" blends that I currently have - "very cherry" and "vanilla" into cherry vanilla (seems to make sense).

You noted that you will keep the new blend of tobaccos in the ziplock for 7 days...Would it work to just take some of each tobacco, mix them together and fill the pipe? Or is it recommended that to truly "blend" the flavors, the tobaccos should have time to rest together?


Well, I should mention that I have zero prior experience with blending. But, my thinking was that giving them some time together in a somewhat closed system would help the flavors and essence to meld together some. I've got at least 7-10 bowls worth, so I'll try it at a week, and then hopefully at weekly intervals and see how it goes. I've got a sweet tasting natural tobacco, and then a sweet cased tobacco, I'm hoping for good results, but we'll see.

it may turn out to be better with a sweet and a not so sweet. But that's the whole point right? try something, and learn from the results. I'll put updates in this thread as the times come
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
schnell987
Grateful to the 11
 
schnell987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 40.802237,-74.783871
Posts: 147
Trading: (2)
HdM
schnell987 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Cool. Sounds like your plan will work out well. Looking forward to reading about your results! Enjoy.

Alex,
Thanks for your input. Time to start thinking of some good blends to experiment with.
__________________
schnell987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
RevSmoke's Avatar
5
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Todd
Location: Northcentral woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 5,676
Trading: (44)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud of
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
I was going to try blending the two "aromatic" blends that I currently have - "very cherry" and "vanilla" into cherry vanilla (seems to make sense).

You noted that you will keep the new blend of tobaccos in the ziplock for 7 days...Would it work to just take some of each tobacco, mix them together and fill the pipe? Or is it recommended that to truly "blend" the flavors, the tobaccos should have time to rest together?
I have tried my hand at blending a few times. What I like to do is to try the new blend immediately - then revisit it as it ages and mellows together (1 wk, 2 wks, 1 month, 3 mnths, etc...). I'd also say that a week is too short a time to get full idea of how they'll marry.

Just a couple blending tips, use portions that will convert into 16 (as 16 is 1 pound), and if you like it, you may want to repeat it. Write the recipe down. To blend, put constituent tobaccos in a large bowl and get your hands in to toss the mixture well - kind of like a salad.

If you want the tobaccos to marry more quickly, when you get it mixed, put it into something which you can compress. I like to put it in a zip-lock and I have devised a way I can press it with a couple C-clamps. This get the tobaccos as close together as possible, helping them to marry. I have done a couple blends where I press some and leave a portion in a zip-lock without pressing. It is amazing the difference after 1 wk, 1 mnth, etc...

Have fun with it!

If you go to this website http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/tinned_blends.htm
in the tinned blends, look for Back Porch - it is my recipe for a blend. They also used to have a blend called Orthodoxy, but they can no longer get any Syrian Latakia (one of the constituent tobaccos), so they cannot make it.
__________________
Todd__ "Smoke what you like, and enjoy it!"
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
Thanks for your input. Time to start thinking of some good blends to experiment with.
no problem, I know a few people like to use Prince Albert as a base tobacco for experimenting as it burns cool, has a pleasant taste and is cheap. So you may start there, or with carter hall or something of that nature
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
RevSmoke's Avatar
5
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Todd
Location: Northcentral woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 5,676
Trading: (44)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud ofRevSmoke has much to be proud of
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

With all this talk about blending, here are a few I have done - that I kept on hand as they are those which are very tasty. There are some blending experiments that have ended up in the circulatory file.

As you consider this, notice how every blend is able to be multiplied simply to make up 16 - so that it can be done in 1 pound lots. Remember that a "part" is an equal part - grams, ounces, etc... Just so they are equally measured out.

A VaPer
3 parts McClelland #5100
3 parts McClelland #5105
2 parts Perique


Another VaPer
6 parts McClelland #5100
2 parts Perique


Another VaPer
5 parts Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (rubbed out)
3 parts Perique


An aromatic (am not normally a fan of aromatics)
1 part CAO/Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
1 part McClelland #5100


Two English blend
5 parts Latakia
5 parts McClelland #5100 (or Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake - rubbed out)
3 parts unflavored black cavendish
3 parts Perique
__________________
Todd__ "Smoke what you like, and enjoy it!"
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
schnell987
Grateful to the 11
 
schnell987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 40.802237,-74.783871
Posts: 147
Trading: (2)
HdM
schnell987 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I have tried my hand at blending a few times. What I like to do is to try the new blend immediately - then revisit it as it ages and mellows together (1 wk, 2 wks, 1 month, 3 mnths, etc...). I'd also say that a week is too short a time to get full idea of how they'll marry.

Just a couple blending tips, use portions that will convert into 16 (as 16 is 1 pound), and if you like it, you may want to repeat it. Write the recipe down. To blend, put constituent tobaccos in a large bowl and get your hands in to toss the mixture well - kind of like a salad.

If you want the tobaccos to marry more quickly, when you get it mixed, put it into something which you can compress. I like to put it in a zip-lock and I have devised a way I can press it with a couple C-clamps. This get the tobaccos as close together as possible, helping them to marry. I have done a couple blends where I press some and leave a portion in a zip-lock without pressing. It is amazing the difference after 1 wk, 1 mnth, etc...

Have fun with it!

If you go to this website http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/tinned_blends.htm
in the tinned blends, look for Back Porch - it is my recipe for a blend. They also used to have a blend called Orthodoxy, but they can no longer get any Syrian Latakia (one of the constituent tobaccos), so they cannot make it.
Todd,
Some terrific advice here! Thanks. For compression, I'll just place a bag under my wife's favorite chair ! (j/k, she's petite and very health concious...but just made me laugh thinking about it).
__________________
schnell987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
MiloFinch
Just in from the Storm
 
MiloFinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21
Trading: (0)
MiloFinch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

About the most "blending" I've done is to go to my BM and say "I want some berry vanilla tobacco". So he mixed a few things together and gave it to me.
MiloFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!
 
Slow Triathlete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 362
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
A VaPer
3 parts McClelland #5100
3 parts McClelland #5105
2 parts Perique


Another VaPer
6 parts McClelland #5100
2 parts Perique


Another VaPer
5 parts Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (rubbed out)
3 parts Perique
Another VaPer that I tried, it turned out great.

1 New 100g tin of Rattray's Marlin Flake

.5 - 1 ounce of Perique

If you only put .5 in the blend it is a good mild VaPer. The closer you get to a full ounce, the spicier it gets.

If you want it even milder, then mix it with Old Gowrie instead of Marlin Flake.

Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #18
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!
 
Slow Triathlete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 362
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Well I took one of Revsmoke's recipes and put it together last night. I did make a substitution however. I mixed 5 parts of Gawith's Best Brown Flake (fully rubbed out) to 3 parts of McClellands Blending Perique.

Wrapped it tightly in wax paper and then put it into a ziplock. Took it out to the garage and put it between two small 2 x 4s and then clamped it down in the vise. I'll let it sit for a week and then sample it, put it back in the vise and sample it again a week later, and so on.
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #19
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back
 
TheRealBonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Eric
Location: Back in the STL
Posts: 67
Trading: (0)
TheRealBonger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Triathlete View Post
Well I took one of Revsmoke's recipes and put it together last night. I did make a substitution however. I mixed 5 parts of Gawith's Best Brown Flake (fully rubbed out) to 3 parts of McClellands Blending Perique.

Wrapped it tightly in wax paper and then put it into a ziplock. Took it out to the garage and put it between two small 2 x 4s and then clamped it down in the vise. I'll let it sit for a week and then sample it, put it back in the vise and sample it again a week later, and so on.
That just sounds like it will turn out good. Let us know how it goes.
TheRealBonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #20
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post

~3 parts MB VA No1
~1 part black cavendish
ok, tomorrow is the day, I'm gonna try this out, it will have been 10 days. School's finally done for a couple weeks, so my tobacco consumption should rise by a few hundred percent

I'll let you guys know how it turned out (hopefully not overly sweet)
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.