Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Clovis Man
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Clovis Man is on a distinguished road
Default Another 10 November just went by

Here's how I spent November 10th this year -- wasn't really what I had hoped for, but it wasn't a total loss.

See, November tenth is the Marine Corps' Birthday -- and if I can find another Marine on that day, I try to give them a cigar to enjoy.

Anyway, here's something I sent in to a Marine Corps group --
Well -- another 10 November has come and gone. This one wasn't one of my favorites, until the end anyway.

I started the day with a two mile walk down the main drag of Clovis, New Mexico. Since it was the Marine Corps' Birthday, I decided to add a mile, for a total of three -- and I wore a Marine utility cover, just for old times' sake.

Living in an Air Force town, you see a few Marines here and there, mostly retirees. They all seem to have a big USMC license plate on the front of their car. Always before, I have seen at least ONE, but not this time. Nope, zilch, nada. No Marines during my walk. That wasn't what I had hoped.

Back at home, time to get ready for the day. S, S, & S. Yep, you know.

For the rest of the day, I looked everywhere, but came up empty. I couldn't even attend the Marine Corps Birthday celebration that night at the local VFW, due to an earlier commitment in Roswell. Gee, I was really disappointed.

That night my wife (another Marine, at least!) and I met our youngest son (born on November 10!!!) for dinner. We had ordered and were waiting, when a man wearing a MARINES ball cap walked in. FINALLY! Another Marine!

He never did notice me trying to get his attention, so I watched where he sat, and then went out to the car and got a cigar to give him for a Marine Corps Birthday gift. I walked over there, and interrupted his ordering, and told him I had looked all day, and he was the first INKLING I had seen of Marines. Gave him the cigar, and wished him a Happy Birthday.

He cried.

After a minute, we spoke. He seemed to be a little confused as to the date, thinking "it" was tomorrow -- the eleventh. Seems he was a Viet Nam vet, and I suppose he got treated like crap by our country back then.

Since he was confused over the date, I'm not even sure he was a Marine, but I'm not sure I mind too much -- at least I got to brighten somebody's day, and perhaps take some of the pain away.
Clovis Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Re: Another 10 November just went by

Semper fidelis teufel hunden
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Clovis Man
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Clovis Man is on a distinguished road

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday, sir.

BTW -- Futenma? Butler? NTA? Where are you?
Clovis Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Hansen this go around.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Very nice!!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm glad you got to keep your tradition alive. I went out to Vegas for the Marine Corps Ball there because several of my buddies were going. It wasn't too expensive. Rather fun as well, I just wish I drove [Wanted to hit Casa Fuente!!]

Great read. :-)
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote