Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default 2012 O'Reilly National Indoor Kart Championships

Its that time of year again, time for me to shamelessly promote myself and offer you a free chance to watch
the world's largest indoor kart race. The information is HERE and that's
also the place to watch it live on Friday and Saturday nights after Thanksgiving.

This year, my boss, whom I refer to as Mr. Inch-mile, makes this webcast tougher on me every year. My first
year we webcast the race live. The next year we also offered a Pay per View option. The third year he added
a night of commentary on Thanksgiving night where he was able to blab on and on about the race and it's history
and the track and such. This year he is wanting to broadcast 8 straight nights. We only have racing Friday
and Saturday, but I know this weekend he is going to want to put on a show where experts talk about karting
and the race itself....for 6 straight nights. At least I get paid well.

But I highly recommend this webcast as a Thanksgiving boredom alleviator. There are usually some 800+ karters
who show up for this race, and they compete in a wide arrary of weight and motor and chassis classes,
from 7 years old to 60+ year old dudes. It is really something to see, and it's free. Obviously not everyone
who comes will make the feature races, which feature 20 kart limits. But this is a great facility for racing,
and if I have good camera operators, it will look GREAT. but no one ever wants to work Thanksgiving,
so I accept what I can get from University of Memphis and hope for the best.

20 feature races per night, 20 laps around, 15 minute time limit per class, so it's a good 4-6 hours of racing action
per night. Regardless, Thanksgiving, Friday and Saturday, we are on the air ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT with SOMETHING,
so tune in if you like. We should be monitoring chat, so if you tune in, gimme a shout...my IT guy will inform me. I will
be busy directing the show, but I will give you a shout out.

As most race fans know, this is how almost everyone starts a career in racing. Some will only ever do it for fun with
their families. But on Thanksgiving we will be doing a metric TON of driver interviews. You will get to see and hear
many of the drivers then, what they intend to do with their karting experience, who they are, where they are from...

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2012 O'Reilly National Indoor Kart Championships

By the way, anyone is eligible to win those sports TVs we are giving away this year.

http://www.onikc.com/contest.html

So if you want a flat screen for your man or woman cave, you really should sign up.
Usually we give away a couple racing go-karts, (explains contest rule No.8) but this year,
ehhh, we cheaped out I guess. The POOL of contestants is usually not all that huge,
nothing close to a national contest, so again, I URGE you to sign up, your odds are really
great for a contest. Make sure you let me know if you are a asylum member and you win,
because usually I don't care who wins, but that would make it really cool for me.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

haha, thanks for the heads up Brad! I signed up
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Now this is something I can get into. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I entered. Brad, please be sure to bump this when it gets closer. I want to watch, but I forget each year. LOL.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
If you have an interest, you will really like this....I MIGHT be the weakest link, lol, the racing is good,
our announcers are pros, the races keep coming and coming....
Our main announcer know his karting and keeps up good banter, and our color man is Bobby Waltrip,
the middle and not-famous Waltrip brother. They are millionaires many times over and poor Bobby
doesn't get any of it...its a shame. But he started in karting like they did and hurt his back so bad
that he never went to the next level, but he's a good dude and we like him.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I entered. Brad, please be sure to bump this when it gets closer. I want to watch, but I forget each year. LOL.
I will bump it close to race time and bump it every day from the facility through the race finale.
That'd be cool to know you are watching...Since there is no pay per view this year, I think I am
going to try and max out the viewer window size on the webcast for max enjoyment. A lot of people
plug their computer into their flat screens and watch in a recliner. Every upgrade in window size helps that.
Usually we have to split our upload bandwidth between the PPV going out to California and the free show
which is usually on USTREAM. I do not like Ustream, because they tend to pop up lower third ads you have
to manually clear. A lot of times people just try to block them out of their minds.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
If you have an interest, you will really like this....I MIGHT be the weakest link, lol, the racing is good,
our announcers are pros, the races keep coming and coming....
Our main announcer know his karting and keeps up good banter, and our color man is Bobby Waltrip,
the middle and not-famous Waltrip brother. They are millionaires many times over and poor Bobby
doesn't get any of it...its a shame. But he started in karting like they did and hurt his back so bad
that he never went to the next level, but he's a good dude and we like him.
Oh I am definitely interested. Interested in everything. Even how to get into karting.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
OLS
Suck It

Anyone who wants to get started early, you can watch the first of our shows here:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27051170

We lay out the basics of the event and go over the sponsors and what they will be bringing to the show to give
away to all our drivers and prize winners. These shows will get increasingly interesting as we get closer to the event,
but the boss basically wants to use his bully pulpit to pummel his competition. There used to be only TWO
Thanksgiving weekend races, now there are 5, all designed to pull drivers away from US. After 22 years, we can safely
put it in that context.

Plus I am getting MY practice in from behind the switcher. Try to forgive my boss who keeps giving them notes
on a damn dry-erase board....when he sees how distracting it looks, he will improve his technique. And boy do I NEED
practice. I haven't touched this equipment since last year's shows, and it's not a real TV studio, where I can work with
two hands.....with computer TV studios, you do basically one thing at time, so you will find a lot of cases where I have
audio level issues from trying to do 4 things at once, lol. By Monday I will have my shizzle togizzle.

Last edited by OLS; 11-15-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I watched a couple of hours last year and enjoyed it, Brad. I'd recommend this to any racing fan. Quite entertaining, and thanks.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
OLS
Suck It

I shot a show yesterday afternoon to run tonight, but I have to keep it locked, my boss kinda said a bit too much,
settling old promoter scores and stuff, when he did it I think he thought he was being subtle, but he called me today to
get me to come in and stream a new show, he was having a lot of second thoughts and did NOT want to run that show
tonight. I told him I had things to get done before I left the house for an entire week. So sorry, there are no new
shows til Monday evening when we will be showing the building of the track and talk to the guy that builds it, the race
director. And then I think the boss will want to offer his revised account of all he wanted to say. From here on out the
shows should be worth watching. And of course Friday and Saturday night after T-giving are just going to be great.

I also use these shows to pull out all the commercials my boss would not let me air, so you should see some really bizarre
3D animated commercials for James Pest Mgmt. He freaked out when he saw that Gangnam style guy was thrusting his
junk at the camera, so that one might not run any more. Hope some of you caught it, haha.

Last edited by OLS; 11-17-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

Thanksgiving's nearly day long broadcastwill be better than tonight's, but we will be webcasting from the
track tonight, around 6:30 or 7 pm...SOME webcast, I am not even told when it will start. Way to promote, lol.
But the boss is wound up today, lost his smart phone on the worst week of the year to be without a phone as
a race promoter. Sheesh. Pretty decent content on the show tonight, tomorrow will be exxcellent.

OK, the host just told me 6pm Central, so that is likely 25% correct, lol. But more accurate than any guess I might have.

Last edited by OLS; 11-21-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

I will flip between this and the UK basketball game

And if you know me, not much interrupts a UK basketball game for me.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
And if you know me, not much interrupts a UK basketball game for me.
Ahhh! Calipari thief!!

I live in Memphis, lol.

WOW, that was one long show! 2 solid hours of talk about kart racing. I want some ACTUAL
kart racing. One good thing about this show, you get to see SO MANY of my 3D animated commercials, lol.
I use this show to show all of the ones my boss won't let me run on TV. And I said that already, lol.
Tomorrow is mostly driver interviews. You are gonna see 7 year old kids and 50 year old men, all
PUMPED for Batesville. Bobby said it best tonight, for karting, this is DAYTONA. Also
getting about my last break before 3 18 hour days producing the webcast.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
OLS
Suck It

Its ON like Donkey Kong, NOW boys, Friday & Saturday Night, Starting around 6pm,
make sure to tune in for the world's largest indoor kart race. www.onikc.com
All the long, boring shows I have slogged through (and some of you with me) and
its all led up to 40 classes of intense kart racing this weekend. I love football, too,
but if your team is not on, tune in and support your brother, and hopefully we'll
entertain you. we roll straight through to about 11 or later each night, That's a
ton of racing. I hope I survive.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

I caught some of the interviews yesterday. Its interesting listening to what everyone has to say.

But now the racing is on
Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
OLS
Suck It

Racing from around 6 pm tonight through 11 pm or later.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
I could maybe get INTO one of those karts, but I doubt if I could get back OUT!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
OLS
Suck It

There were several drunken rednecks who told me it sucked and I sucked.
Internet connections are different for everyone, but no one ever thinks its THEM.
However, this is the WORST connection speed we have ever had at the BCC, I'd be
surprised to hear anyone say they had a good look at it. They have a T1 line and
our upload speed was only 1.4 mbps. Ridiculous. Just sad. But what are most people doing
this weekend?? surfing the web. Thanks to anyone who watched. Same thing tomorrow night.

I have the blackest boogers in history. Well, except for tomorrow anyway.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

I watched for awhile. Video wasn't too bad. Was definitely watchable