Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread***

***Official as in I couldn't find a football thread that wasn't team slanted, and so as not to hog up those threads with standard NFL tripe, here we are.

This is a new story about an old mess, "what the Cowboys have become since Jimmy Jones left".
It's really a great article and it's worth a read.
I agree with it almost wholly, except that I'm not a Jerry Jones fan. At all. I used to not be able to stand him, but that's passed years ago. Now his ego and inattention to what was once an amazing franchise just saddens me.
With his money he could put the best football minds in that organization and nobody would ever touch them. Instead, they're a joke.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread***

I don't want to believe what's written in that article, but he's pretty spot on.
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It was a woman that wrote that article, Tony.
I always blamed the Jerry/Jimmy split up on Jerry, for obvious reasons. Mainly that Jerry wanted to tell him how to coach and run the team the way he saw fit, and Jimmy having none of it.
I never gave much thought to the marketing side influencing why Jerry can't make prudent football decisions, but it makes good sense. As Jerryworld grows, the Cowboys continue to sag.
He can't hire a real coach because a real coach wouldn't work for him.
It really does suck, bad. I'd just like to see the Cowboys competitive so I could take greater joy in the getting beat.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

I think the cowboys have a very smart man as a coach, but he's someone who gets told what to do. If they had a coach like Coughlin, Tomlin, Reid, or many others they wouldn't last long bc they wouldn't give in like big red does.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan it hurts to watch season after season of Jerry running this team as if its just a money machine, instead of putting a quality product on the field.
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

He puts a LOT of talent on the field, Tony. They've had the pieces for many years, just not a coach and GM to make that talent mesh.
It's funny, too. He's really proud of that team. After all these years he HAS to know what the problem is. It sure ain't a run of bad luck. With the proof of their on-field performance and everyone in the world telling him he needs to get out of his own way, I wonder if we'll ever see it happen?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Justinphilly

Not that the Eagles are going to do anything special for awhile, but Dallas hasn't got a chance with Romo at the helm. He has a lot of talent, but his numbers late in the year are terrible. I hope this isn't misconstrued as a Dallas Hating Post. As much as I hate Dallas, I try to be realistic. And before anyone says anything about Vick's #'s, I hate that him too. So save your breath. Lol
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

We're not hatin' in here, Justin. Just talking football.

I can't think of a recent year where Romo had all his pieces around him so he could make a strong finish. It's been one thing or another for a long time.
He's a good qb, but he's not been tried by fire. I've seen him fall apart in games that really meant nothing, so I don't know if he has the fortuity to be a playoff/super bowl qb. If I was forced for my opinion, without giving it any more thought, I'd say no, he's not cut out of championship material. I'd like to see his team get healthy late (one of these years) and make a run to see if he can carry a team.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Justinphilly

Nice, I'm glad we have a good conversation. Sometimes it's difficult to discuss sports as an Eagles fan to a Cowboys fan.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinphilly View Post
Nice, I'm glad we have a good conversation. Sometimes it's difficult to discuss sports as an Eagles fan to a Cowboys fan.
I don't like the Eagles, but I don't want to denegrate Eagles' fans.

If you are an Eagles fan, denegrate means "to put down".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Justinphilly

Lol. Somebody should denegrate Mike Vick please.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Permanently.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Justinphilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Permanently.
Denegrate him 6ft under. Actually no, make it 20 ft under. Because I hear "deep down" he's a good person.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
From what I can see, it's already in progress what with him getting beat up every game. Has he played an entire season since he got back into the league?

As for the Cowboys, couldn't happen to a better organization. Just the latest example of how a man who thinks he knows the game because he's an owner. The smart owners get a professional in to run the team. His ego won't let that happen. In fairness, I don't like the Cowboys. Drew Pearson pushed off....
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Justinphilly

He's played only 1 complete season since he started in the NFL.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Nice win by my Vikings in Detroit today. Christian Ponder is looking like he might be a serviceable QB in this league.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Buffalo blew a huge opportunity today. Decided not to even show up in the second half.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I'm not a Cowboys fan by any means whatsoever. My blood runs Black and Gold, brother!!!
I'm a fan of good football, and the talent of individual players. The only person I'd really like to see run out of the NFL is Rex Ryan, and it looks like he's taking care of that for me. w00t!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Buffalo blew a huge opportunity today. Decided not to even show up in the second half.
Shame how Buffalo folded up like a cheap tent, but it was nice to see Tom Brady turn on the precision carving game. When he's on, he's an amazing thing to watch.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I'm just glad the Chefs keep losing. Have always despised that team. Sad to see the Saints at 0-4. Not sure even having Payton back would help.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Welp, it looks like the Jets are backed up in a corner already.
Sanchez went 13/29 for 103 yards, 0TD, 1INT. A QB rating of 39.9.
Had Miami not handed them a gift, they'd be 1-3. I'm not even sure what Buffalo is doing, that club is messed up, bad.
I don't think this game is the straw that breaks the camel's back, but they have the Texans, Colts, and Patriots up next. The rest of their schedule is exceptionally tough. They look like a 6-10 team at best, 8-8 if the stars all line up for them.
They just signed Aaron Berry, they're going to rehab him and shore up their secondary to make up for Revis.
That team should be a zoo for the rest of the season.