Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Oliva Blue Silk "O" Torpedo

And, my smoking companion for today:

Before anything else, I have to say that this is one beautiful cigar. The presentation begins with the uniquely lovely blue silk band with gold brocade; a class act. The wrapper is a gorgeous, dark and mottled maduro and the construction is flawless. It feels heavy in the hand.

Pre-light, the two predominant impressions in the draw are nutmeg and clove; singularly pleasant. The aroma...the only thing that I can say is that it smells distinctly Cuban, like a Partagas with some age on it.

The first draws are rich, powerful coffee, like a good French roast. An underlying sweetness tantalizes but doesn't make itself fully known; maybe the warm spices I detected pre-light.

The first couple of inches reveal flavors and aroma of roasted lamb, warm spices and a hint of charred wood, all on an assertive bed of yummy saltiness; a foundation which will be present throughout the entire cigar.

Through the nose, more roasted meat on a background of cedar and freshly-ground coffee. There is not a hint of harshness; this is a mature cigar, to be sure.

The ash is a taupe-gray; I don't know that it's even noteworthy, just that I'd never seen that before in almost 40 years smoking cigars. It's also rather flaky and doesn't hold on much longer than an inch at a time.

The second third brings aboard some orange peel and dark, sweet cherries through the nose, while the roasted meat and wood flavors fade gracefully. The mouth-watering saltiness remains throughout, underneath everything, like a well-seasoned dish.

One remarkable note: this cigar is as challenging a cigar as I've ever tried to review; I'm describing as much as I can, but for every flavor I manage to note there is at least one that eludes me. It is as complex and flavorful a smoke as I've ever had; somewhat humbling, I have to admit, for a self-professed Cuban cigar snob like me.

I knew nothing of this cigar before Scott Shilala gifted it to me, along with a couple of others. I did some research and found out that the silk bands were discontinued in 2003, so my impression that it was a well-aged cigar was spot-on. I don't know what it cost new, but I can say with certainty that now, at least nine years later, it is worth whatever that was. Kudos to Scott for collecting, keeping and aging something that a lot of us never heard of, and for generously sharing it with me.

In the home stretch, all the accumulated strength and age of this cigar comes to bear. Thorough purging and self-control keep any harshness at bay, but I believe that the retrohale portion of our program is now finished. Rich flavors persist to the end, although there is little presence of nicotine, even now.

A thoroughly enjoyable smoke. Thanks again, Scott!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oliva Blue Silk "O" Torpedo

Great review, very jealous and hope to get my hands on a few cloth bands at some point
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

these are great sticks. i have a box of them and will be smoking one every year on my sons birthday until the box is done.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

These are YUMMY!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

That looks awesome and i have to say your review made me hungry

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Fantastic review! I keep waiting to find that "67 corvette in the barn" with maybe a box of these tucked away in some B&M somewhere!
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo View Post
Fantastic review! I keep waiting to find that "67 corvette in the barn" with maybe a box of these tucked away in some B&M somewhere!
Maybe find the Vette' with a box inside bro
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Maybe find the Vette' with a box inside bro
Now THAT would be somethin'!
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Great review, sure miss them...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I thought the cloth bands were like "a thing of the past"...

How are you people finding these???
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Awesome Cigar, I smoked a Red Band today.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Awesome review. So glad I was able to purchase a couple of these, though I would love to get more.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Awesome Cigar, I smoked a Red Band today.
Scott was kind enough to include one of these as well; it may be my next review from that group...or maybe the Coronado. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Awesome review. So glad I was able to purchase a couple of these, though I would love to get more.
Thanks. I can understand why. These are amazing.