Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
crazyirishman

Default 11 sticks left in my humi...

The question I have is: Should I buy a box of one line of cigars or spend a little bit more and buy several individuals so that I an afforded some variety?

I know this is a matter of opinion and will bring forth troops for both encampments, but I would appreciate the views of the rest of you very much.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 sticks left in my humi...

How new are you to cigars? If fairly new...I would recommend that you try a variety of sticks. Once you have found something that you really enjoy...then snag a box.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I only use a 100-150 count desktop, and while I have bought boxes, I tend to buy fivers mostly.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
chatboardhero
Makin' it Rain!

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (0)
chatboardhero is on a distinguished road

that's totally an issue of personal preference. i find that variety is certainly more appealing. there are a plethora of samplers available out there.
chatboardhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

How much storage room do you have? Are we talking a 50 count desktop humi, 300 count footlocker, or something significantly larger? If it's not a lot of storage real estate, buy some singles and/or 5'ers. Get some new sticks in singles to try 'em out, get some 5'ers of ones you know you like. If you have more room and the money to do it, stock it with a box of cigars you know you like and then a few 5'ers of new cigars to try.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

If you have a certain brand you like, i.e Tats, DPG, Oliva whatever, buy a few samplers from the brand you like, find the sticks you enjoy from the brand then get some boxes down the road
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
TheCigarNut
Just in from the Storm

First Name: David
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheCigarNut is on a distinguished road

Personally I am one for diverstity, I like to grab 5 packs or even pairs. Sure if there is a good deal on a cigar I KNOW I really like I'll splurge on the box, but personally that is few and far between. What smokes are you thinking about getting?
TheCigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
How much storage room do you have? .
I should have clarified that. D'oh.

It's a 40 count desktop, so my conundrum is that if I buy a box, I'd be only smoking from that box until I run out again...

Although I'm seriously considering making a cedar lined Igloodor...

When I got hooked, I got hooked hard.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
How new are you to cigars? If fairly new...I would recommend that you try a variety of sticks. Once you have found something that you really enjoy...then snag a box.
I hadn't thought of that, actually. For some reason that third option never popped up.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman View Post
I should have clarified that. D'oh.

It's a 40 count desktop, so my conundrum is that if I buy a box, I'd be only smoking from that box until I run out again...

Although I'm seriously considering making a cedar lined Igloodor...

When I got hooked, I got hooked hard.
Stick with singles, there's no reason right now for you to commit to anything more than a 5'er (and even then maybe avoid that for a little while).

When I was limited to a 50 count one of the biggest mistakes I made was dedicating half of my humidor to a bundle purchase I made. Great sticks, but it really limited my cigar selection. While I should've been trying new things, I instead was mostly smoking that one cigar.

Once you find some favorite sticks and have the money, upgrade the storage and buy 5'ers. Even then I'd avoid buying full boxes (unless you go through a lot of cigars). Personally, my tastes changed so much within the 6 months of really getting into the hobby (this was after 5 years of casual smoking) that I was left with boxes of cigars I loved just a few months back that I no longer cared for.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

If you are asking the question, I assume that you are still quite interested in exploring different sticks as opposed to just having a couple of brands on hand all the time that you really like. Therefore, buy fivers at some place like The Devil Site . The price won't be much different than boxes and you can gradually settle on a couple or three "go to" sticks that you want to have on hand all the time.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Stick with singles, there's no reason right now for you to commit to anything more than a 5'er (and even then maybe avoid that for a little while).

When I was limited to a 50 count one of the biggest mistakes I made was dedicating half of my humidor to a bundle purchase I made. Great sticks, but it really limited my cigar selection. While I should've been trying new things, I instead was mostly smoking that one cigar.

Once you find some favorite sticks and have the money, upgrade the storage and buy 5'ers. Even then I'd avoid buying full boxes (unless you go through a lot of cigars). Personally, my tastes changed so much within the 6 months of really getting into the hobby (this was after 5 years of casual smoking) that I was left with boxes of cigars I loved just a few months back that I no longer cared for.
That's a very good point. That's what makes the most sense and it seems to be the general consensus, so my mind is made up.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I started with samplers.(full of singles or 2's) that way I could cover as much ground as possible. then 5 packs when I found something I liked now I'm getting a box or two here and there and "super samplers" (like 20-40 sticks of many 5'ers). If you just get one whole box at time, man it will take years to start finding what you truly love.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDragon View Post
Why is CBid so dubbed, anyway? Hah
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Wait til you get on and start bidding, you will know why
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Wait til you get on and start bidding, you will know why
Ohhh. I thought it was something that they had a bad reputation for.

A bad reputation for something other than pushing B/SOTL in to poverty.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Ohhh. I thought it was something that they had a bad reputation for.

A bad reputation for something other than pushing B/SOTL in to poverty.
Nope, that's why
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

I don't know if I'll ever buy a box. Fivers and samplers for me. I'm still new though.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Ed M
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ed
Ed M is on a distinguished road

I started by getting samplers so I could try lots of different sticks. Now I do mostly 5 and 10 packs of the ones I like. If I really, really like something I'll spring for a box.
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It cases Divorces annually.

I'm not sure where Grand Blanc is, but I'm from Newaygo (About 30 Miles North of Grand Rapids.) Glad to see another Michigander on here! Welcome to the Forum.

I also agree with getting 5'ers, instead of a box.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote