Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough
Default Is my palate broken?

I've smoked maybe 15 or so cigars since I started a few months ago, a handful being infused. I still cannot really taste a significant difference among traditional cigars. Although enjoyable, they all kind of taste like tobacco, minus the wrapper flavor. I've been "retro-haling" which helps discern tastes a little more but my nose can only handle so much.

It blows my mind when people can describe differences in flavor as the cigar progresses and elaborate on it to the T.

My review goes something like this; Nice construction, great burn, excellent draw, good flavor, bitter towards the end.

Some cigars I feel I have enjoyed a little more than others:

Java Maduro Toro (fav)
Cohiba Red Dot
Acid Kuba Kuba
Punch
Short Story
LGC Serie R

I have yet to smoke a cigar in which I said "this sucks, I won't touch it again." I did not care for the LHC, but it was also the very first cigar I smoked and may have caught me off-guard. However, I typically do research before I jump on a sampler so I've yet to really have a "cheap" cigar to compare. The Acid Cold Infusion Tea was pretty good but after the 2nd one I just didn't care for the potpourri smell of the wrapper.

Last edited by Sonic04GT; 12-31-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is my palate broken?

Yep. Broken and it can't be fixed!

Nope, you're fine. What you need to more practice! That's how you develop a more nuanced palate. Also try new foods. This will also expand your palate's "known" flavors.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Yep. Broken and it can't be fixed!

Nope, you're fine. What you need to more practice! That's how you develop a more nuanced palate. Also try new foods. This will also expand your palate's "known" flavors.
Haha this is what I assumed, but I'm colorblind, wear glasses, and hard of hearing at age 24. Figured my whole body hates me

I just feel as if I'm going through these premium cigars and can't truly enjoy them to the point where I can say I like this more than that. I mean what the heck does leather taste like?! Can't say I've ever eaten it.

Don't get me wrong, every one is an enjoyable experience but if you gave me two unlabeled cigars, one costing $2 and the other costing $20 I probably couldn't tell the difference by taste. The main things that stand out to me are burn, ash, and draw, and of course bitterness if it gets too hot. Oh, and volume of smoke, but that probably plays in with draw and burn.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

The more I smoke, the more I am able to discern differences in flavors. I still dont get a lot of the cedar, nuts and cocoa flavors that people describe. I think you just need to smoke a lot of different cigars. I still enjoy a lightly infused cigar from time to time, but am finding that most are just too sweet now.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Like MJ Says, Smoke More, It Will Come! Although I Still Haven't Tasted "Leather", Yet.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Like anything else it takes time. 15 cigars is what many of us smoke in a week, myself included. Think of it like trying to taste the nuances of any thing, coffee just tastes like coffee until after a while you start to notice differences in richness, bitterness and other subtle differences. Beer, scotch, hot food are some other examples.

I dont do a lot of retrohaling with non-Cuban cigars, singeing nose hair is not pleasant, maybe once or twice for a cigar sometimes none.

The flavor wheel is a good place to start trying to find the flavors.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...t=flavor+wheel
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

It has taken me a couple of years to be able to discern some of the flavors. Just give it time.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT View Post
Haha this is what I assumed, but I'm colorblind, wear glasses, and hard of hearing at age 24. Figured my whole body hates me

I just feel as if I'm going through these premium cigars and can't truly enjoy them to the point where I can say I like this more than that. I mean what the heck does leather taste like?! Can't say I've ever eaten it.

Don't get me wrong, every one is an enjoyable experience but if you gave me two unlabeled cigars, one costing $2 and the other costing $20 I probably couldn't tell the difference by taste. The main things that stand out to me are burn, ash, and draw, and of course bitterness if it gets too hot. Oh, and volume of smoke, but that probably plays in with draw and burn.
No one is a wine connoisseur the first few years they drink wine. It takes time to develop what you like. I'm certainly still developing my palate. I will say however, that my best experiences (save some... i.e. a certain Padron) have been from some inexpensive but quality smokes. That's why I've aimed at keeping my budget low until my palate develops a little. Again, no one starts by dropping $50 on a bottle of wine consistently. My suggestion is to check out some of the cheap smokes in this thread:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=cheap

Personally some that I love:
Mayorga Robustos (amazing and dirt cheap)
Anything CAO (specifically La Traviata and Brazilia)
5 vegas
Some cheaper Fuentes
Some cheaper Perdomos
Brickhouse
And Fuente Opus X

Also experiment with Samplers that go on sale. If you haven't tried it and it's cheap (provided it has some good reviews) go for it!
Old 12-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Thanks for the info
Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
kickerb

practice makes perfect. i also find that sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a cigar. I've actually put some cigars down right after the start simply because i wasn't in the mood. maybe you need some time in between, that why you are "hungry" for your next cigar.

variety is my other suggestion, i started smoking just a year ago, and I spent the majority of that time smoking all kinds of different cigars.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Odd, I posted that before seeing the 2 above it. Guess they popped up while I was typing.

This is my collection as of a couple weeks ago. Smoked the Cohibas and a couple of others. These are all from sampler deals (got both of my humis that way), and a few were gifted from a couple generous members on here. Bought fivers of Golds and AF SS. Infused from samplers as well.

Sorry for the crappy pics.
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/8800641.jpg
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/2089362.jpg
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/2921418.jpg
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/1369297.jpg

I'm nearly out of room on the traditionals

Edit: Bryan, I'm always hungry for a cigar I usually only smoke maybe twice per week.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Give some Gran Habano cigars a try. They are some of my favorite go-to smokes when I don't want to burn a hole in my pocket. I can almost always find them for < $3. My favorites are the 3 siglos gran robusto and the Habano #3 Robusto. I didn't like the Corojo #5 very much at first, but the last 2 I've had, which have been sitting for 2 months, have also been very good. The vintage 2002 robustos are pretty good too, but stay away from the churchills. They are terrible.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
cubanodemiami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT View Post
Odd, I posted that before seeing the 2 above it. Guess they popped up while I was typing.

This is my collection as of a couple weeks ago. Smoked the Cohibas and a couple of others. These are all from sampler deals (got both of my humis that way), and a few were gifted from a couple generous members on here. Bought fivers of Golds and AF SS. Infused from samplers as well.

Sorry for the crappy pics.
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/8800641.jpg
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/2089362.jpg
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/2921418.jpg
http://www.lolzilla.net/images/1369297.jpg

I'm nearly out of room on the traditionals

Edit: Bryan, I'm always hungry for a cigar I usually only smoke maybe twice per week.
I envy your Cohiba.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I am glad you brought this up. I have thought about it and reviewed online. Never posted it on here. Great info.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Not broken...just needs more practice.

Last edited by kelmac07; 01-08-2012 at 02:50 PM.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Yep what these old geezers said. SMoke more.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanodemiami View Post
I envy your Cohiba.
Went out with family to visit an old friend, got to talking with his Cuban neighbor that was over at the time and he hit me with that About a month old. I guess he just got back from visiting family in Cuba a couple weeks prior.

It makes the humi look good haha I think it'll be a while before I smoke it.

Last edited by Sonic04GT; 01-08-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
coty

Might I suggest smoking the same cigar for about a week in a dark room with some light music to essentially perform sensory deprivation. Maybe even reviewing each third to a recording device.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
LigaPrivadaT84

Your palate will devlop will additional experience; when I first started, everything just tasted like tobacco to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
chatboardhero
Makin' it Rain!

First Name: Kevin
chatboardhero is on a distinguished road

retro-haling is definitely the only way to "taste" tobacco, in my humble opinion. however, don't go overboard. expel just slight amounts of smoke through the nose. too much will often overwhelm the olfactory sensation, and all you get is watery eyes, especially with more full-bodied cigars. that technique will also allow you to really decode the very subtle flavors of complex, milder smokes.
chatboardhero is offline   Reply With Quote