Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Diths0er

Default What causes a metallic taste?

And will a bit of aging remove it? I've noticed it occasionally on completely disparate brands of cigars. It's most noticeable if I inhale a bit through the nose as I'm taking a draw and I can really pick it up through the nose off of the lit end while drawing. Just inhaling the aroma of the lit end however does not produce it. It then leaves a metallic taste on the palate but it's mostly in the nose. The taste is still there if I don't inhale through the nose, but it isn't as pronounced. It taste like an old piece of (stainless?) steel that has been exposed to the atmosphere for a while, a "high-pitched" flavour/smell up there with the spice.
Any ideas on what it's from and what can be done about it? Is it permanent, or will resting remove it?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What causes a metallic taste?

check this out
I had the problem it was actully in my palet and took me about a month to loose it
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Diths0er

"I had the problem it was actully in my palet and took me about a month to loose it"

Yup, I read you're post first, but I don't think it's my palate because I'm not tasting it on every cigar. Also, I've tried cleansing my palate and it's a still there. I think mine is more of a nose impression that is affecting the taste.

Did you taste metal on every cigar, or was yours apparently random as well?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

I had this happened to me a while back also. I thought that it may had been a build up tar or perhaps I has pulling to hard or fast. So I purged a bit more and slowed down I also varied from a punch to a cutter to increase air flow. Seemed to work for me. Good luck
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

In my experience, low quality or improperly fermented tobacco. There is a certain metallic quality I associate with cheap dominican leaf. Take note of the origin of all the tobaccos and which brands that you're finding it in, then try to steer away from those in the future. Everyone's palate differs and some cigars will taste awful to one guy while it is delicious to another, so the best thing to do is to take notes and keep track of what you're smoking and what you like as you develop your palate.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

metal?

j/k
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get that with most all Connie wrappers. That's why you won't find a Connie wrapper among all my cigars. Plus I don't get any flavor at all from a Connie wrapper and the sticks are always boring and generally gross.
Try leaning towards Rosados or Cameroon (or any other wrapper).
That problem, plus the bitterness that comes with light wrappers is what led me to maduro wrappers, and I eventually just fell in love with them.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
check this out
I had the problem it was actully in my palet and took me about a month to loose it
Or this...

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

I've only noticed a somewhat metallic taste in Dominican cigars. Can you put a finger on the country of origin when you taste it?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
I've only noticed a somewhat metallic taste in Dominican cigars. Can you put a finger on the country of origin when you taste it?
Glad it's not just me. Honestly, I've gotten that metallic taste out of every Opus X I've ever had, so it's not just the cheap Dominicans that have it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Hunter5117

I get the metallic taste part way through a cigar with a lot of different brands, but much more with Honduran sticks than with DR or Nics. For this reason I have pretty much given up on buying or smoking any more Hondurans, which does cut out a lot of great quality smokes.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

I had it in some La Perla Habanas.
Letting them rest for a few months solved the problem,
but mellowed them out, as well.

Chemyst
Old 12-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Allergy medicine can cause a metallic taste occasionally . Lance pointed it out to me quite a few years ago .
Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Although this a stretch, check your humidor and/or humidifying element. My humidifier got sour/metal smell to it for some reason (probably too much water). In any case, it transferred some of that nasty flavor to my cigars! Got a new one and my cigars were better in a week!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote