Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar preference

I have seen many folks inventory and the variety in them is vast. This question is for long time enthusiasts.

Is there anyone else that only prefers certain brands/blends. I have owed many different cigars in my time. Lately I have only been buying maybe a max of 6-7 different brands/blends. Maybe I am missing out. Maybe I just don't have the attention span at my age to keep track of the periodic table so to speak. I have overt 10 boxes worth of cigars, but they are mostly the few that I k ow I like. I am Pepin and not too many others. Maybe an Oliva V or rare AF when I feel it. Anyone else as old/closed minded as myself?
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar preference

I love trying new cigars, to me, that's all part of the enjoyment of the hobby. I also love having cigars around where I know that when I reach for one it will be an enjoyable, satisfying smoke.

I get singles of the new stuff, and boxes of what I know I like.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

When it comes to non Cuban cigars, there are maybe four or five different cigars that I'll buy regularly.
I do try some of the new NC cigars though.
I don't experiment too much anymore with Cuban cigars.There are maybe ten boxes that I'll cycle through,depending on whats available.

So yea I guess we have a similar view,preference wise.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
When it comes to non Cuban cigars, there are maybe four or five different cigars that I'll buy regularly.
I do try some of the new NC cigars though.
I don't experiment too much anymore with Cuban cigars.There are maybe ten boxes that I'll cycle through,depending on whats available.

So yea I guess we have a similar view,preference wise.
Maybe that's my next step. I have bought a few boxes of Cubans, but wouldn't know a fav if I had one. Funny how some have figured out there likes for NC's and not ISOMs, while opposite for others. Time to piss off the wife with some packages from elsewhere.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I used to experiement a lot more than I do now -- buying lots of samplers, etc. Now that I know more about what I like and what I don't like I find that I experiment less...

Now I tend to I stick with what I know -- both CC and NC. When I come across something new (gift, event, bomb, etc.) that I like I will add to my list of "what I know"...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Guess I am always open to new smokes. Just haven't seen anything groundbreaking aside from LE's. My only recent CC knowledge is RASS and Bolivar. Maybe a Monte 2. Maybe another Cuban refugee will defect that brings something NC to the table. Otherwise I will be making my next CC purchase. Any suggestions in the under $200 range?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

You are not alone.

There are 6-8 fav brands/blends that are my regular smokes.
Most others are small purchases/trades to try something new.

It only took 3-4 yrs. of trying all different brands/blends to find
my fav 6-8.

Chemyst
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I have a core group of maybe 15 CCs, and maybe 4 or 5 NCs, that I keep around. Those I stock by the box. In some cases, a fair number of boxes. Then there are a few that I may buy a box, smoke them, and then let time pass before buying another box.

I still enjoy smoking singles of everything and anything for the variety, but it's rare anymore I find something that blows my mind and gets added to the regular rotation.

So yeah, at this point in the game I'm pretty comfortable that I know what I like and it doesn't bother me to keep returning to them. I may be in a rut, but it's a comfortable rut.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
Guess I am always open to new smokes. Just haven't seen anything groundbreaking aside from LE's. My only recent CC knowledge is RASS and Bolivar. Maybe a Monte 2. Maybe another Cuban refugee will defect that brings something NC to the table. Otherwise I will be making my next CC purchase. Any suggestions in the under $200 range?
PSD4's. So tasty, around $160-$170.

For me I don't stock NC's anymore I've just been too disappointed lately. There's maybe 2-3 NC cigars I like enough to buy a box. That said I've decided after dealing with the LE/EL bull$hit of NC's I'm going a different route with CC's. I'm only buying the regular lines, nothing regional, limited or anything I cannot get every day of the week. So far it's a fun ride and It's given me what I believe will be a life time of smokes I can enjoy for as long as I live.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

i can't get myself to pull the trigger on an entire box of smokes which is why i don't buy CC's. BUT i'm really hoping to get to a good B&M when im out in london in may and have a few while i'm out there. The few CC's i have had though have been out standing.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I have about six brands that I purchase by the box and a couple that I will buy fivers of. I am happy with what I like and don't have a whole bunch of interest in trying the latest and greatest so I guess that I agree with the OP.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
H.Upmann Connoisseur #1
RASCC
VR Famosos
RyJ Exhibition #4
RyJ Belicoso
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
H.Upmann Connoisseur #1
RASCC
VR Famosos
RyJ Exhibition #4
RyJ Belicoso
This man preaches the affordable good cigar truth.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
ajacobs

Quote:
Bolivar Belicoso finos

To the original question, I am back in an experiemental stage trying new stuff after a period of 8 or 9 years of smoking a padrons, fuente's and certain cc's. There certainly has been an upswing in quality of some of these non CC's coming on the market. When I entered the rut years ago it was because I was fed up of every time I would try something new it just didn't measure up to my standby's. I kept looking for something interesting and different but the quality wasn't there.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Pepin, Illusione, Oliva V, and Viaje make up 95% of what I smoke. I am fine with that. I try a lot of stuff, but those are staples.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I stick to a few (601 Blue, El Cobre, DPG JJ maduro, Viaje) but am always in the game to try a new maduro.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

Pepin (inc. Tat), Viaje, Liga Privada, Fuente (Anejo) comprise my NC blends.

I'm searching more in Habanos. I just split an order with a buddy for VR Famosos, Boli RC, Upmann Mag 50, and Trini Robo T. I also ordered some Gold Medals and a Hoyo 3 pack a couple weeks before that. Also, I ordered a box of BHK 52 after. I have RASS, Siglo IV, Siglo VI on the way, and CoRos.
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Anyone else as old/closed minded as myself?
Smoke what makes you happy. Don't worry that your palette doesn't match that of someone else or that you don't have the same diversity or that others may not exactly like the same things that you like.

In the end, the only one you have to keep happy with your selection is you.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
Nathan King

I'm always trying out new blends and brands mainly because I'm reviewing them. When I'm smoking a cigar at my leisure I have a small list of favorites:

Padron 1926
A. Fuente Hemingway
Fuente Fuente OpusX (Aged >2 years)
Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #20
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

I love trying out new blends and brands. I buy boxes of what I like when I have the money but usually spend my cash on samplers with 4/5 of each cigar so I can smoke a variety. I am more of a full bodied cigar smoker but I still occasionally enjoy a mild-medium smoke with some complexity.

I agree smoke what you enjoy, but if you never try anything new you never know if you will be able to add the cigar to the list of what you enjoy.

Also, I always give a new cigar multiple tries in case my attitude, pallet, accompanying beverage does not give the cigar a fair chance that day.
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote