Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road
Default ? About the body of smoke

I have to say that I'm still new to the cigar, been smoking them for 1 1/2 yrs. I normally smoke a medium cigar ex: kristoff maduro, Romeo y juliet 1875, padron 6000, and avo maduro to name a few. Whenever the local shop has an event I like to go down to try some different cigars. This last time was atladis and I had a Saint Luis Rey Serie G maduro. After I smoked it I felt like crap and then I looked up to see it's full bodied. My question is, over time will I develop a tolerance for a full bodied or am I going to have to stay with mediums.
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ? About the body of smoke

I'm a medium guy myself, but find a full body cigar is fine if I've got a full belly or some sugar handy. Different scenarios for different strengths.

Nothing worse than sucking on a full body stick on an empty stomach and feeling the nausea coming on too late.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

The sad thing is I went there right after diner with a full belly of pork roast, potato au gratin, and squash. Wish I can blame it on empty stomach but I can't.
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I'm a medium guy myself, but find a full body cigar is fine if I've got a full belly or some sugar handy. Different scenarios for different strengths.

Nothing worse than sucking on a full body stick on an empty stomach and feeling the nausea coming on too late.
Agree'd! I am relatively new to smoking cigars as well. I basically did just that yesterday! went out to clear up some of the snow while the snow was soft and lit up a nice cigar. It was first thing in the AM and I don't eat breakfast. I had to stopafter about 5 min because it was too full bodied for first thing in the AM. I usually like a full bodied after a nice big steak dinner in the summer. Eating out on the porch and then lighting up.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
RustyShackleford
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
Bolivar
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

As you start to smoke more you will likely be able to smoke the stronger cigars without feeling sick because you develop a tolerance to the nicotine.

But for taste in cigars that will change from person to person.

I can tell you for me that a little after I started smoking the stronger the cigar the better. Now though I tend to prefer more medium bodied cigars as I find them to be more balanced.

Don't get me wrong I love a good full bodied cigar from time to time but just not as much as I used to.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Now are you talking body or strength? A lot will depend on what you call body. It sounds as if you are talking strength and everyone is different on that. As mentioned above what you have ate plays into it. You could also pair it with a sweet drink or some chocolate or candy if you start feeling sick or light headed.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I think you'll develop a tolerance for more nicotine as you smoke more - I've been smoking for a few years and enjoy the full-bodied stuff a lot now. Not that it should be something you worry about building towards if you're happy with what you're smoking now. It's just a taste preference thing. Something to keep in mind next time you have that feeling wash over you - eat a tablespoon of sugar and it will bring you back to normal pretty quickly.