Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough
Question Another humidor RH question

I have seasoned my new humidor for two weeks with a bowl of distilled water. At the end of the two weeks I took a new clean sponge and very lightly wiped the inside of the humidor. Added 4oz. (two 2 oz. bags) of Shilala's beads put in my calibrated hrygometer. 24 hours later reading @ 80% RH. So, what to do? Wait a month for the beads to stabilize? Open the humi for a few hours? I'd like to hear what you guys have done in a similar situation. Ps, no cigars are in the humi. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Another humidor RH question

Wow, two weeks? Never took me more than a couple of days. Needless to say, it is very well seasoned and probably didn't need the wipe down. I would take the beads out and load the cigars in. If still too high after another 24 hours, I would leave the lid open for a few hours. When the rh gets down to where you need the beads after being closed for a few days, introduce them to the humidor then.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

I would leave it open and let it dry a bit, you can always add more distilled water later if it goes too far.

I am not familiar with the beads, I am a kitty litter crystal convert, my humi and cooler bothe stay between 65-68 RH using dry Exquisicat litter
Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

I'm assuming NW Washington is Washington State, in which case, take your hygro out and test the local RH... you're being predicted rain, which might mean opening the lid could make it worse? (This is a personal assumption, someone with some scientific knowledge shoot me down if need be)

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

First I would make sure that the hygro is accurage. If it is then I would go ahead and put your cigars in the humidor with the beads and just watch it over the next several days.

An empty humi does not stabilize. You need both your cigars and beads to help reasch equilibrium inside the humi.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
First I would make sure that the hygro is accurage. If it is then I would go ahead and put your cigars in the humidor with the beads and just watch it over the next several days.

An empty humi does not stabilize. You need both your cigars and beads to help reasch equilibrium inside the humi.
Thank you Michael and thank you everyone for the help and advice. Have a good weekend.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

From what I hear wiping the inside of the humidor is a no-no. Warping the wood and unnecessary.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote