Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone ever filed a grade grievance for a college course?

I know this is way off topic, but I have had problems with one of my prof's all quarter, and I got my final grade today and it is significantly lower than what I typically get.

I don't want to come off as petty or like I'm being a whiney baby, but I got a C, and I carry a 3.6 GPA. So I want to file a grade grievance since I have had concerns that I have been graded unfairly all quarter. I brought my concerns to the attention of the head of the dept. as well as the chair and felt like they brushed me off. I requested a meeting two weeks ago with the chair and the prof, and was just told yesterday that the meeting won't be able to happen until the start of the fall quarter. Which sort of defeats the purpose, because I have the same prof for next quarter as well.

What do I need to have to make this is successful or productive grievance? I've never done this before, so any advice from anyone who has gone through the process would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

Cliff's notes: What do I need to file a grade grievance for a college course, and what information do I need to make it a successful grievance.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone ever filed a grade grievance for a college course?

You have the same professor next semester? I would let it go, one C isn't going to bring down a 3.6 by much. But that's me.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

It depends where most of your grade was pulled down. If he purposefully marked you down in subjective tests (essays, participation, whatever); you're pretty much screwed. If he was marking stuff incorrectly on something objective (anything that has an answer key) you may stand a chance. If he accused you (or a group of you) of cheating, you have to provide the information saying that you weren't.

Most of the time these end up being professor versus student, with an extreme advantage to the professor. Unless you're an athlete, child of someone who gives a lot of money to the school, or famous alumni; you're kinda SOL.

One C would bring down a 120 credit degree from a 3.6 down to a 3.57, hardly enough to make a big deal. If you're doing a 45 credit Master's it obviously would be a bigger but still not as big deal.

Last edited by darkleeroy; 09-08-2010 at 12:45 PM.
darkleeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
What do I need to have to make this is successful or productive grievance? I've never done this before, so any advice from anyone who has gone through the process would be appreciated.
Hire a hooker or a stripper, give her his office number, take photos, you fill in the blanks from there...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You have the same professor next semester? I would let it go, one C isn't going to bring down a 3.6 by much. But that's me.
I agree. You have to choose your battles wisely. Some profs will hold a grudge. If you really want to find out the problem, have a meeting with the prof and make sure you understand what they want from you. My daughter has been in the same boat but understands that she'll be seeing these profs again and uses the phsychology angle to affirm their position as "the boss".

MCS
Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I did once at the JC I went to. But my scenario was different. I had broncitis (sp?) and spent a night/day hanging out in the emergency room getting breathing treatment (asthma + broncial infections = death). I missed the final and she gave me an F. I gave her my discharge papers and she said no. Eventualy I worked my way up the chain got to take my final and got a B
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
holli4pirating

I hear you saying a C is lower than what you typically get, but is it lower than what you deserve? Most college professors are very transparent about how they calculate grades. When you calculate your grade yourself, what do you end up with?

If there is a significant difference, I'd bring that to the professor's attention, indicating the formula you used and the scores you plugged in. Ask about why there is a difference, but be polite. If you don't get anything back, then take it one step up the ladder.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

Coming from a grad student who works closely with a couple professors...

You're 95% SOL. Especially if you have him again this semester, just bite the bullet.
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Hire a hooker or a stripper, give her his office number, take photos, you fill in the blanks from there...
I like the way you think!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc12rf View Post
Coming from a grad student who works closely with a couple professors...

You're 95% SOL. Especially if you have him again this semester, just bite the bullet.

Most grievances are a waste of time unless it is a harrassment or some sort of medical issue at hand. I hate to say it, but you are pretty much SOL. My dad is a college professor and he's seen it happen with his colleagues numerous times to no avail.

Since you have him next semester, just drop it so he won't get pissed off at you and grade even more unfairly toward you.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

This actually does happen. A buddy of mine had a friend who filed with his families lawyer against his school. The teacher admitted that he had a stick up his butt from day 1 about the kid for smoking outside a designated smoking area or something. He graded him unfairly and with friends, family, and lawyer he was able to prove it. I don't know what happened to the teacher, but he ended up getting the credit and the class score was made to not affect his high GPA. The teacher gave him a D which was failing for his major which required C or higher.

So, if you have a lawyer, go for it, you can probably prove it if you do your homework. However, if you don't already have a lawyer, it will probably hurt more to get one than to just take the bullet and move on.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Goldie
Bring the pain!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
First of all, that's hilarious.

And I guess as far as just sucking it up, I know that I should, but I feel like that is what has put me in this position already. I didn't speak up all quarter, and just let things roll off my back, because I know I have another 10 weeks with this douche.

But the reason I feel I was graded improperly is because I compared my work with other students who had nearly identical answers and they would lose one point, or none, where I lost all credit for the answer.

On one assignment, he deducted points because he thought I typed the answers to the questions sloppily. It just feels like he is being petty about my grading, and I don't really feel like I should stand for it. It just pisses me off.

Do I deserve an A in that class, not really, but a solid B is what I expected to get. I just averaged all of the average grades for the assignments and it came to a 73% which is a D. The average grade is a D! He grades too hard, and his tests are above our knowledge level. This is an ASL class, so we are learning this language, and he grades like we already know it.

Anyway, I think I will go back and look at all of my homework and see if I can really make a valid argument. It sounds really like I am **** out of luck, which is fine. I always take the diplomatic route and bite my tongue because I know it will benefit me in the long run, but this guy has just pushed me too far and now I feel like being the biggest dick I can be.

I guess we'll see.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Goldie
Bring the pain!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
So, if you have a lawyer, go for it, you can probably prove it if you do your homework. However, if you don't already have a lawyer, it will probably hurt more to get one than to just take the bullet and move on.
My wife's uncle is a lawyer, I think maybe we could work something out. He helped me before with the guy we hired to DJ our wedding. I gave him a $250 deposit, and he never showed. We had to get someone else the day of the wedding.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Most grievances are a waste of time unless it is a harrassment or some sort of medical issue at hand. I hate to say it, but you are pretty much SOL. My dad is a college professor and he's seen it happen with his colleagues numerous times to no avail.

Since you have him next semester, just drop it so he won't get pissed off at you and grade even more unfairly toward you.
This is very accurate. Unless you have proof that your teacher mistreated you due to racism, sexual harassment or some other kind of extenuating circumstance you don't really have a fighting chance. Even under those conditions you better have very good documentation such as a daily logbook of what was said and at what time. The school is going to side with the professor and you're next semester will be hell. I noticed you made a comment that you felt he graded you unfairly. Again most classes I've been in there was a certain time period that you had to discuss changing grades, and I assume this is the same for you. Unless you were graded unfairly due to above stated reasons they won't change it. That falls on your shoulders during the semester. I worked with the dean at my former college and they rarely awarded any grievances.

And like others said you gotta pick your fights wisely. You have him again and you don't want more of a challenge with him. I'd say you meet with him and say you are very serious about doing well in the class. That you would like to work with him in achieving that goal.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

If youi've got him again next semester, it may be more beneficial to sit down with him now and find out where your "shortcomings" are, so you can "improve" them for next semester.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Just don't bother if he will make you pay up front. It's very hard to prove these kind of things. I don't know why anyone would go through the trouble, but I suppose if I ever felt I was graded unfairly, I would want to fight it too.

It's pretty sad in this world how much impact a piece of paper can have on any business/association. It seems that when a customer has an issue places like to brush it off, when the customer comes back they get brushed off again, but when a letter headed paper comes thru the mailbox, suddenly its a big enough deal to be taken seriously. It's morally wrong in my opinion.

Good luck to you.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #17
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
My wife's uncle is a lawyer, I think maybe we could work something out. He helped me before with the guy we hired to DJ our wedding. I gave him a $250 deposit, and he never showed. We had to get someone else the day of the wedding.
Very DB thing to do. We reserved a musician and then his number changed. Couldn't get a hold of him so we found another. First guy showed up 20 minutes before the ceremony. My best-man thanked him for showing up and gave him $40 for his trouble. At least he showed.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
If youi've got him again next semester, it may be more beneficial to sit down with him now and find out where your "shortcomings" are, so you can "improve" them for next semester.
100% Talk to them, they are human and when you show interest or a willingness to change they will tend to look at you different. College isn't the only place you will have to work with people you don't like to get by ... some of us get to call them Boss.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
100% Talk to them, they are human and when you show interest or a willingness to change they will tend to look at you different. College isn't the only place you will have to work with people you don't like to get by ... some of us get to call them Boss.

They have egos too, and like it if you're presenting yourself as someone who is looking for help.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I've found that saying ANYTHING to the teachers puts you closer and closer to the firing squad. Teachers aren't very nice people and love to make your life a living hell. Especially if you have him/her next semester.....just suck it up or try to switch teachers.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote