Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road
Default Cigars and Diabetics

I came across this when I got sick twice this week and could not figure out why my blood sugar was through the roof. I hope this information will help someone out before something bad happens

this only happened after smoking 4 or more cigars. I don't get high blood sugar when I smoke one or two.

Smoking Cigars can raise your blood sugar level.

For most people, this statement is of little consequence. But if you are a diabetic, it is a myth you have probably wondered about, and rightly so. How can smoking a cigar raise your blood sugar level after all? It just doesn’t seem to make sense.

Fact or Fiction: Unfortunately, this one is true. Cigars, and any form of tobacco, does indeed raise blood sugar levels. More specifically, nicotine is the culprit behind the increased sugars.

So if you are a diabetic, and you notice that you feel sick or light-headed after smoking, or can’t figure out why your glucose meter insists your sugars are higher than your eating habits suggest they should be, you need look no further.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars and Diabetics

I chuckle because after reading this, I was intrigued and googled more information.
Much to my surprise, our "old home" (puffer fish world) comes up as having this information you have quoted as part of an article they posted.
What I found amusing was that they also had this in the same article.

Myth One: Cuban cigars are hand rolled on the thighs of virgin women.

This is probably my favorite story. It invokes women in the field, with their dresses hiked up over their bronzed, silky smooth thighs, their fingers daintily rolling up the best smokes the world has ever known. And of course these women are all beautiful and virgins and will never tell you to take out the garbage. And that virginity, that untapped sexual power, somehow manages to find itself into your cigar right?

Fact or Fiction: Fiction. I hate to let you down, but it is a myth. It is true that you can find women in the field picking tobacco leaves, and hell, maybe a few of them are attractive. But working long hours in the sun, day after day…I wouldn’t bet money on it.

But the most important thing is this: it is impossible to roll a cigar on your thigh. In fact, try rolling a piece of paper on your thigh. Go ahead…I’ll give you a few minutes. Now consider how difficult that would be if you were to be using tobacco leaf, never mind the fact that you would be trying to wrap it around binder and filler, all the while trying to make a particular shape.

As romantic and lovely as this myth is, any roller will tell you…it just isn’t possible.

My illusions of smoking cigars rolled in this manner has now been shot. I am depressed.

They need to be corrected.
It is NOT impossible to roll on a thigh.
On a video from Cuba, Alejandro Robaina does it and the cigar looks amazing. Also cuts the foot with his bare hands to light it.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

I have been a type 1 Diabetic for 19 years I have smoked 4 cigars a day for at least 6 years. I have never had a prob. with my blood sugar but I am a strange brid when I drink a bottle of wine my blood suger crash's into the 50s.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road

maybe I am just unlucky. my sugars spiked very high twice this week after herfing. I just wanted to relay what had happened to me thats all.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the "good" information!

I've had some issues with this lately and it seems compounded by my beer drinking!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote