Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone ever deal with odor from a central vacuum system?

So, I've had a couple of house showings with comments about pet odor in the house (not due to urine and other such issues in the carpet). The carpet has been cleaned 3 times since we moved out in May and the scent still lingers (although I don't smell it and neither do others that have been in the house). I've considered that the odor is coming from my central vacuum system because it has sucked a lot of pet hair through the system. I've already dumped some carpet fresh type of stuff through each vent, although it's not a lot. I'm also getting something called tornado power cleaning wipes that are supposed to help clean the interior pipes.

Any other suggestions that I might be able to follow to try to get rid of the smell in a central vacuum system? Thanks!
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone ever deal with odor from a central vacuum system?

That's kind of an odd issue.

Whenever I address smell from vents in a car, I use a product called Einszett Klima Cleaner. But that - IIRC - is for removing mold/mildew.

What type of filters are installed in it? I believe these systems have one central canister, with either 1 or 2 filters. Maybe changing those would be worth it?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

If it's not coming from the central vac system, maybe you should have the carpets professionally cleaned. If there is someone in your area who does steam cleaning, that would kill any type of living organism that would be contributing to a smell (mold/mildew/fungus/etc.) Another remedy may be an enzyme type cleaner in the carpet. But that is more designed for things like urine/milk/etc.

EDIT: Just thought of this product. I'd give it a try:

https://www.dakotaproducts.com/ProductView.aspx?id=48
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road

just a thought, what if the odor has gotten into the sub floor underneath the carpet. I had a co-worker rip out all the carpet due to an animal smell only to realize that he had to rip out the sub floor also. my parents have to dogs and to get the smell of wet dog out the use febreeze, it works wonders in houses with pets. there are also products that are used in the automotive industry to take away the smell of mildew and other smells wet carpet can have. I hope this helps
Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
That's kind of an odd issue.

Whenever I address smell from vents in a car, I use a product called Einszett Klima Cleaner. But that - IIRC - is for removing mold/mildew.

What type of filters are installed in it? I believe these systems have one central canister, with either 1 or 2 filters. Maybe changing those would be worth it?
I've got new bags on the way, but I don't know that the vacuum canister has any filters. I'll take a look at it though.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
If it's not coming from the central vac system, maybe you should have the carpets professionally cleaned. If there is someone in your area who does steam cleaning, that would kill any type of living organism that would be contributing to a smell (mold/mildew/fungus/etc.) Another remedy may be an enzyme type cleaner in the carpet. But that is more designed for things like urine/milk/etc.

EDIT: Just thought of this product. I'd give it a try:

https://www.dakotaproducts.com/ProductView.aspx?id=48
The carpet has been cleaned 3 times by 2 different companies. I don't think the enzyme cleaner applies because we're not talking about urine or anything like that.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post
just a thought, what if the odor has gotten into the sub floor underneath the carpet. I had a co-worker rip out all the carpet due to an animal smell only to realize that he had to rip out the sub floor also. my parents have to dogs and to get the smell of wet dog out the use febreeze, it works wonders in houses with pets. there are also products that are used in the automotive industry to take away the smell of mildew and other smells wet carpet can have. I hope this helps
My line of thinking is that the carpet itself is fine, but it's possible in the cleanings that it got wet enough that it pushed the odor down into the pad. I can pull up the carpet and put in all new pad for $1850. The suggestion was made to put some Killz on the subfloor before putting the pad back down though.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

How about pet dander & hair trapped in the HVAC ducts?

Something to consider

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Do companies that clean ductwork also clean central vac systems? Might want to check on that. Cheaper than the carpet thing. I know our stand-up Hoover always smells of pet fur when it runs

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
How about pet dander & hair trapped in the HVAC ducts?

Something to consider

~Mark
Had that cleaned as well. They ran a deoderizer through the system as well. The guy that did it commented that he didn't smell anything either. It was cleaned for the first time since it was built 8 years ago, but the guy said the ducts weren't really dirty compared to a lot of them he cleans.

Something else that doesn't help matters is that it's vacant and allowing the air to get what I would call "stale" compared to doors being opened daily. I do try to get over and put a powder in the carpet and vacuum prior to a showing. The agent isn't keen on spraying a lot of stuff because it'll make buyers leery that you're hiding something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Do companies that clean ductwork also clean central vac systems? Might want to check on that. Cheaper than the carpet thing. I know our stand-up Hoover always smells of pet fur when it runs
This company acted like they don't know how to do that. I think I can almost do this myself by using the wipes to suck through the system. Something else I'll try to do will be to spray faebreeze in the ducts while the system is running to suck the scent through the pipes.

The central vacuum system is a disastrous of sorts as the dust circulates from poor sweeper performance and we used a dyson after awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Something else that doesn't help matters is that it's vacant and allowing the air to get what I would call "stale" compared to doors being opened daily. Posted via Mobile Device
I was wondering this as well. Stagnant air can have a weird smell.

Instead of spraying carpet powder, buy a frozen apple pie and throw it in the oven. That would 1) smell awesome, and 2) be a nice treat.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could crack some windows and get some fresh air in there?
The best thing I ever found to get rid of smells is ammonia. I'd take a gallon of ammonia, get some plastic bowls, fill them up, and close the house/apartment up tight.
I'd return a week or so later and there wouldn't be a smell in the place.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Host an indoor herf there.

That'll take care of the old pet smell.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Another great way to get rid of smells is to put a HEPA air purifier or and Ozone unit by the return and run the AC for a day or so. You could alternatively do the same for the central vacuum, just let the air purifier blow in the hole. The Ozone purifiers work best in my opinion. I have put my unit in some of the worst smells and in 24 hours they are gone.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I have put my unit in some of the worst smells and in 24 hours they are gone.
ummm... what? lol

Seriously though, the ozone generator is a great device.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
ummm... what? lol

Seriously though, the ozone generator is a great device.
Ever play a soccer tourney in July in Florida? Your shin guards could break a buzzard off a gut wagon.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Ever been in a cockpit before?

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

No I haven't. Whew, that's gotta smell!