Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back
 
Sean9689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 182
Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I always seem to go from hobby to hobby, and after I was into cigars for such a long time, beer came along early last year. I joined Beer Advocate and started learning about everything that is beer. Then, I went to Dark Lord Day and was hooked. I started buying/trading/etc. for all the special releases and rare European beers. I've amassed a cellar of 250 rare/special release/retired bottles (bombers, 750's, and some 12oz) that is now crazier then my cigar collection was (I sold a lot of my collection as I got into beer). I never imagined that a bottle of beer could sell for $250.00, but I soon found out that was true (I thought the same about cigars, ie. 1492).

Anyone else on here collect/cellar beer or have a large collection?

Below are a few pics of the cellar and some of the rare beers I've managed to score. 1. beer cellar, 2. beer cellar, 3. Lost Abbey Cable Car (2007, 2008, 2009), 4. 3 Fonteinen Millennium Geuze (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/3-fonte...um-geuze/21457), 5. Lost Abbey Isabelle Proximus (released in 2008).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0379.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	5729   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0380.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	5730   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0185.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	5731   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0203.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	5732   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0193.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	5733  

Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S
 
Parshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Marc
Location: St Somewhere
Posts: 835
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I collect a 4, 6, or 12 pack here and there, but they never last more than a couple of days. I guess just like anything, there are extremes in pricing and collectablilty.
__________________
I love chicks with FLBP.
Parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back
 
Sean9689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 182
Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
I collect a 4, 6, or 12 pack here and there, but they never last more than a couple of days. I guess just like anything, there are extremes in pricing and collectablilty.
Hey, Marc! Blast from the past! I was just talking to Bob (Budman) the other day and it seems like ages ago that we hung at at Land of Lincoln. Hope all is well with you!

Yeah, there's always some sucker out there (ie. me) that falls for the extremes!
Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox
.
 
ChicagoWhiteSox's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,040
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
ChicagoWhiteSox has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Mostly drink my stash. I thought about maybe keeping a 4pack of Goose Island BC for a year or two to see how they age.
__________________
ChicagoWhiteSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit
 
kenstogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,325
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I brew and most beer doesn't age (some does) so collecting would be pointless.
__________________
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PopTarts
Posts: 3,815
Trading: (63)
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

The bug has started to bite me, Sean.

Reminds me of when I started to learn and amass my collection of cigars.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Jbailey
Brewcifer
 
Jbailey's Avatar
3
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dave
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,113
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I just started putting beer away this year. So it's about time I jumped into a new hobby.

Put away some 08 Chimay Red, founders backwoods bastard, founders KBS and some local stuff from ale asylum.
__________________
"Sent to spy on a Cuban talent show first stop- Havana au go-go."
Field Marshall Douche Bag.
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit
 
kenstogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,325
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I brew and most beer doesn't age (some does) so collecting would be only for a select few. That being said I do cellar some of my Stouts/Tripels and Hard Ciders. I also have an aging bottle of Thomas Hardy
__________________
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
landhoney
Mr. Charisma
 
landhoney's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Seth
Location: In the forest
Posts: 2,639
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I'll try to post a pic of my cellar tonight, need to strighten up a bit first.

And great beers by the way, I love sour/wild ales and those are very special beers.
__________________
Fields (to a heckling youngster): You're about to fall heir to a kitten stocking.
Kid: What's a kitten stocking?
Fields: A sock on the puss!

Last edited by landhoney; 03-31-2010 at 02:42 PM.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors
 
newcigarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On the bottom shelf
Posts: 3,139
Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
I'll try to post a pic of my cellar tonight, need to strighten up a bit first.

And great beers by the way, I love sour/wild ales and those are very special beers.
While your at it, take a pic of your wine and cigars too.

**Edit -Wait a minute. How do you have a cellar in Florida? **

Last edited by newcigarz; 03-31-2010 at 03:25 PM.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Scimmia
Still Watching My Back
 
Scimmia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 158
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Scimmia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

My collection isn't anything like yours, a lot more "regular" stuff. That's an impressive cellar.
Scimmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors
 
newcigarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On the bottom shelf
Posts: 3,139
Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9689 View Post
I always seem to go from hobby to hobby, and after I was into cigars for such a long time, beer came along early last year. I joined Beer Advocate and started learning about everything that is beer. Then, I went to Dark Lord Day and was hooked. I started buying/trading/etc. for all the special releases and rare European beers. I've amassed a cellar of 250 rare/special release/retired bottles (bombers, 750's, and some 12oz) that is now crazier then my cigar collection was (I sold a lot of my collection as I got into beer). I never imagined that a bottle of beer could sell for $250.00, but I soon found out that was true (I thought the same about cigars, ie. 1492).

Anyone else on here collect/cellar beer or have a large collection?

Below are a few pics of the cellar and some of the rare beers I've managed to score. 1. beer cellar, 2. beer cellar, 3. Lost Abbey Cable Car (2007, 2008, 2009), 4. 3 Fonteinen Millennium Geuze (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/3-fonte...um-geuze/21457), 5. Lost Abbey Isabelle Proximus (released in 2008).

Amazing collection!
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back
 
Sean9689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 182
Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Thanks, guys. I'm on Beer Advocate, Rate Beer, and The Beer Spot under the same username Sean9689. I really enjoy reviewing the beers and wish that a cigar site would adopt a rating option like BA or RB...makes it fun to review!
Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douche Bag
 
icehog3's Avatar
10
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: On My Wide Glide
Posts: 54,900
Trading: (58)
RA
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I am really into beers, and they are quickly into me.
__________________


Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank and Tır.
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room
 
Salvelinus's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
First Name: Brendan
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,116
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Nice looking cellar. Not only do I not have room for that, there is no way beer would stick around long enough to get to that level. I love trying new beers, but have not gotten into aging any yet.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back
 
ODLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 226
Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Very nice collection. I have recently started a collection. Black Ops, Life and Limb, Vertical Epics 06-09, etc.

I'm a beer guy getting in to cigars. I don't buy too much commercial beer, as I am into homebrewing quite a bit. I brew a lot. I love it.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL
 
awsmith4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Albert
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 4,602
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

I have always liked good beer, but just in the past year and a half I have started to really get into them.

I am on BA and RB as awsmith4
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Resipsa
Über Cool Dude
 
Resipsa's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Vic
Location: FixItVille
Posts: 1,819
Trading: (4)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Resipsa has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Just recently got back into beer Sean, and started cellaring some stuff. Nothing all that special, but I did find two bottles of Angel's Share that went into the cellar.


Looks like you've got some angel share yourself on the top shelf, along with some mirror mirror, and black butte porter, maybe some Stone RIS on the second shelf? And do I see a bottle of kate the great?


I'm lucky because my favorite beers are big beers like RIS, barleywines, etc, and those are the things that age best. I can just grab a case of something good, throw it in the cellar, always have it on hand and not have to worry about it losing freshness.
__________________
Place a bid. You know you want to
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=128
Resipsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back
 
Sean9689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 182
Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
Very nice collection. I have recently started a collection. Black Ops, Life and Limb, Vertical Epics 06-09, etc.

I'm a beer guy getting in to cigars. I don't buy too much commercial beer, as I am into homebrewing quite a bit. I brew a lot. I love it.
Very nice! Yeah, cigars are lots of fun too but I'm always moving from one thing to the next. There's too many cigar guys up here in Chicago not to continue smoking....especially with the weather getting better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Just recently got back into beer Sean, and started cellaring some stuff. Nothing all that special, but I did find two bottles of Angel's Share that went into the cellar.


Looks like you've got some angel share yourself on the top shelf, along with some mirror mirror, and black butte porter, maybe some Stone RIS on the second shelf? And do I see a bottle of kate the great?


I'm lucky because my favorite beers are big beers like RIS, barleywines, etc, and those are the things that age best. I can just grab a case of something good, throw it in the cellar, always have it on hand and not have to worry about it losing freshness.
Very cool! Yeah, I have several different vintages of Angel's Share. You have a good eye! I almost have a vertical of Kate the Great (I have 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010) and have multiples of the 2010. It's an awesome RIS!

Yeah, all the hoppy stuff gets drank ASAP and all of the stuff in my cellar is stouts, barleywines, wild ales, lambics, guezes, etc. Beer is so much fun because theirs always a new release coming out that's hard to get. It seems that the US craft brewers are in a "boom".

Cigars, beer, and wine...too many ways to spend my money!
Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back
 
Sean9689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 182
Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone into beer like they are cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I am really into beers, and they are quickly into me.
vodka, beer, vodka, beer...
Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.