Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Angry Arrrgh..California Cigar Prices...

Well, I've calmed down a bit now. I recently ascertained today that the City of Valencia now has a third B&M located near the intersection of McBean Parkway and Town Center Drive. I found out this one carries the 601 series and since our other 2 B&M's do not, I decided to pay a quick visit late this afternoon to see what exactly they carry in this line. Upon arrival, I found their humidor was well stocked with all the latest super-duper super-premium "boutique" cigars. They carried 3 of the 4 601's (not the Red which I was hoping for). Here comes the shocker for you non-Californians. This proprietor wanted $10.99 + tax for a 601 Green La Fuerza. I repeat $10.99+ tax!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSE PUCKY I simply refuse to pay that type of money for a cigar. And, you don't even want to know what he was trying to get away with regarding DPG's and Tatuaje's.

Note: For you inmates living in the Southern, Midwest, and Eastern states, just count your blessings that you don't have to purchase a stogie here. Thank goodness for online retailers
Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation
Default Re: Arrrgh..California Cigar Prices...

I feel your pain Mark.

As much as I would love to support the local shops it is just not affordable for me. I may stop in for a stick or two but 98% of my purchases are online because the prices are so high locally.

I know that it is my duty to pay my CA taxes on purchases but COME ON!! I will be an internet bandit for now.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Note: For you inmates living in the Southern, Midwest, and Eastern states, just count your blessings that you don't have to purchase a stogie here. Thank goodness for online retailers
I am right there with you. I still buy smokes at my local B&M becasue I like to support the small business, but for my box purchases, I always have to turn to the online retailers.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
robertw1249

i with you there mark i was born in ontario cali i moved out of the about three years ago it was the best move i ever made
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, I've calmed down a bit now. I recently ascertained today that the City of Valencia now has a third B&M located near the intersection of McBean Parkway and Town Center Drive. I found out this one carries the 601 series and since our other 2 B&M's do not, I decided to pay a quick visit late this afternoon to see what exactly they carry in this line. Upon arrival, I found their humidor was well stocked with all the latest super-duper super-premium "boutique" cigars. They carried 3 of the 4 601's (not the Red which I was hoping for). Here comes the shocker for you non-Californians. This proprietor wanted $10.99 + tax for a 601 Green La Fuerza. I repeat $10.99+ tax!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSE PUCKY I simply refuse to pay that type of money for a cigar. And, you don't even want to know what he was trying to get away with regarding DPG's and Tatuaje's.

I'm sorry you have to pay such punitive prices for cigars because you have folks, and I'm being generous here, in your state who feel that they have to tax citizens for enjoying a totally legal product.
I know for one I'm sick and tired of it.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
huero71
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
huero71 is on a distinguished road

Prices aren't quite that high here in Tulare/Visalia, but they're close. I like to drop into the local B&M for a cigar once in a while, but I do a lot of my box purchases online and at David's in Rancho C. when I'm in that area every couple of months. The shop there has a great selection, and the prices are a lot better than up here.
huero71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Out of the 3 B&M's here in Valencia, I most always support Valencia Cigars. The owner is very knowledgeable and personable, knows a number of folks in the industry, generally maintains a good core supply of brands (he's awaiting his supply at this time of 601's), and his prices are within means at times. I'm hoping his prices on 601's will be affordable upon arrival at his shop

Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
McBean Parkway and Town Center Drive
That be some pricey real estate, pardner.

Offhand, I can't think of anything that isn't expensive in Cali. And getting worse all the time.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Well, we're gonna share the wealth after Obama gets elected and the cigar tax that Bush vetoed goes through. But yeah, for the meantime I'll buy sticks from the B&M but wouldn't dream of buying a box.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Well, we're gonna share the wealth after Obama gets elected and the cigar tax that Bush vetoed goes through. But yeah, for the meantime I'll buy sticks from the B&M but wouldn't dream of buying a box.
That is why I have been stocking up.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I also feel your pain. I buy singles from the local B&Ms and boxes when they're in the same ballpark as online dealers. But I refuse to get gouged and pay out of the wazoo for hard to find sticks like Opus and Anejos.

I'm afraid if Obama becomes prez.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

I still love my local B&M, but you're right, prices are high. I was in Cenza in Pasadena, $15 for Tat's, $17 for Ashton Heritage and than the 8.25% additional state tax. They do have specials though, 30% off on Sundays in November, but even so, you can't compare it to online prices.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raralith View Post
I still love my local B&M, but you're right, prices are high. I was in Cenza in Pasadena, $15 for Tat's, $17 for Ashton Heritage and than the 8.25% additional state tax.
Cenza is on Green Street aren't they?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
You let me know what you need and I'll buy'em here for ya to ship...$11 for a 601 is crazy!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

48% tax. Yep, that's fair.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
Legend

Still need to support the B&M or they will disappear.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

...Just be glad you don't live in Australia!

I'd kill to only pay 10.99 + tax!!

i last paid just under $30AUD for a ERDM corona!
Tazziedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #18
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazziedevil View Post
...Just be glad you don't live in Australia!

I'd kill to only pay 10.99 + tax!!

i last paid just under $30AUD for a ERDM corona!
I agree with tazzie your tax might be high in California but pails in comparison to how we are taxed north of the boarder.

To put this in perspective an Ashton VSG Robusto runs about $23 up here.
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #19
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Yeah I have a B&M selling for the same price!!! Sorry Mark that is the price we pay for having so many other benefits!!! Like having a movie star Governor, Sunshine, Beaches, etc...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #20
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

Same thing here in HI, ridiculous taxes, high rent, and needing to ship everything in, makes for some really high prices. I wouldn't mind paying them if we had a B&M with a decent selection. I could at least try singles and see if they were worth a 5-pack or box from online.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote