Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Fire Damage

Hello all, I have a quick question to pose to the forum.

My wife and I had a fire at our home over the weekend and due to extensive water, smoke, and fire damage our home was a total loss. My humidor was in our downstairs living room during the fire. The living room itself didn't get burned by the fire but the room had smoke and water. I retreived the humidor shortly after the fire to try and save the stogies. My question is, would you attempt salvage the contents of the box and the box or would you feel that they were tanted in some way due to the fire? I have tried to smell a wide range of my sticks and I can detect no smoke smell of any kind. I am worried however because a humidor in nature will transfer humidity from inside to outside, I would think that could include smoke.

I am curious to see what you guys think. These are covered under my homeowners insurance policy but I don't want to replace them if it is not nessassary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
leasingthisspace

Default Re: Possible Fire Damage

First I am sorry for the lose. I hope everyone was ok.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
SmokinAFuente

Thank God everybody was OK!

As for the smokes, fire them up and test them, one at a time.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I am so sorry about the fire and loss!!!

As far as the stogies go... Look at that as a miracle and enjoy!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Chiefs~Wifey

I am so sorry to hear about the fire!! I am soooo glad everyone is ok. I am wondering how long were they inside the house before you got them out? If they were only exposed to the conditions for a short period of time, the chance that the smoke or toxins that were in the air were transferred to your cigars through your humi is very unlikely. So the cigars should be fine to smoke. As a precaution I would look into possibly a new humi. This is all info based on my firefighting experience!! I hope this helps!!

So what size was your humi??
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
GrumpyOleTroll
Not Crazy enuff to B Here

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Navy (Served With Honor)
GrumpyOleTroll has disabled reputation

Check with RHNewfie he had about the same and I believe he was able to save most if not all of them.

Sorry to hear about the fire.

Shawn
GrumpyOleTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
AdamC

Sorry to hear about the fire man. I hope you manage to salvage everthing possible! I remember when my fathers house burned down. I lost everything I owned. Good Luck. Best wishes to your family!
As for your smokes I am not educated enough to know about that
Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about the fire, but most importantly everyone is OK. I would remove them from the Humi in case it has absorbed and smoke...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

Thanks for all the kind words, both my wife and I are OK and thank God it was only property damage that can be fixed and/or replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs~Wifey View Post
So what size was your humi??
My humidor was a Cordoba and I had about 80 sticks in it. Most of the sticks we still in their cello wrappers but there were a few naked sticks, including my 1 year anniversary PAM 64 torpedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
I would remove them from the Humi in case it has absorbed and smoke...
I was thinking the same thing. I am going to order a new humidor or maybe a Vinotemp. I was at Target yesterday and they didn't have any but I will check online and see what I can find.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Ms. Floydp
Keeper of the Rolodex

Trading: (0)
ERdM
Ms. Floydp is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've been there when my kids were little... no cigar smoking at that time though. Just gives you an empty feeling. Glad everyone is ok.
Ms. Floydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Firstly I am glad that everyone was ok!!! And I have the deepest sympathy for you, its a long road after something like this. We went throught the same thing las February and they just laid our hardwood floor last week... Yeah 9 months later...

Make sure you are on top of the rebuild contractors... Check everything that they do... They are in it to make money and will do everything they can on the cheap... That's my best advice.

If the room was filled with smoke then your humi is a loss.. The cedar is like a sponge... So are the cigars.

I made a valient effort to save my cigars. I got a new cooler and got it ready, some fresh cigar boxes, an oust fan, and a couple of those arm-n-hammer stickups along with the proper humidification stuff.

Put it all together and then I put my cigars in. I changed the humidification device as it got smokey as well as the stickups and the cigar boxes periodically. Opened and aired out the cooler every day. Eventually the funk got less, some cigars neve seemed to improve so I pitched them.

Eventually the remaining cigars became smokeable, but still to this day have a funk to them. I am still looking after some of them but have no high hopes of improvement.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

Oh, the insurance co will not replace tobacco.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I'm glad everyone is ok...please let us know if there is anything we can do.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like RHNewfie has laid out a good plan. Let us know how everything works out.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about the fire....I'm glad to hear everyone is okay. One way to check if the fire affected the cigars would be to smoke a cigar that you have smoked a lot of or have smoked recently. I would pay particular attention to the pre-lit draw flavors/aromas.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #15
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about the fire. I would smoke one, and if it's bad, just plan on reporting it to your insurance company.

There is a reason you have been paying the premiums for all of those years. Don't let yourself lose out during a claim. Also remember that sales taxes should be included in your losses.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about the fire, hope everything is ok with you and your family.

Did the cigars get all wet due to the water, or are they 'unharmed'? That would make a hell of a difference. If they are soaked, I would toss them, otherwise I would try them. And claim them at your insurance (unless they are cc's)
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

Did the cigars get all wet due to the water, or are they 'unharmed'? That would make a hell of a difference. If they are soaked, I would toss them, otherwise I would try them. And claim them at your insurance (unless they are cc's)
The cigars didn't get wet, the humidor had a little moisture on top of it but not bad and the room was not filled with smoke to the best of my knowledge. Within an hour after the fire I had the humidor out of the house and in a safe place. I have tried to smell the humidor itself and I don't get a smokey smell from it and the cigars smell OK. I just smoked a 5 Vegas Series 'A', one of my favorites, and it tasted fine. I just ordered a new humidor from CI to replace the one that I currently have. I am going to continue to smoke through the current stock of cigars in hopes that the rest of them are OK as well.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

Boobar,
Im sorry to hear about your loss, I am a fireman and I imagine it is dificult to be in your position, I do think that by what you are describing sounds as though you may not have lost your smokes, they were removed quickly and if you were able able to be in the area and notice very little damage to the humi itself you may just get lucky, however I would be very careful as smoke from a house fire has a huge amount of carcinogens! If you doubt any at all, toss them all out. -david
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #20
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Firstly I am glad that everyone was ok!!! And I have the deepest sympathy for you, its a long road after something like this. We went throught the same thing las February and they just laid our hardwood floor last week... Yeah 9 months later...

Make sure you are on top of the rebuild contractors... Check everything that they do... They are in it to make money and will do everything they can on the cheap... That's my best advice.

If the room was filled with smoke then your humi is a loss.. The cedar is like a sponge... So are the cigars.

I made a valient effort to save my cigars. I got a new cooler and got it ready, some fresh cigar boxes, an oust fan, and a couple of those arm-n-hammer stickups along with the proper humidification stuff.

Put it all together and then I put my cigars in. I changed the humidification device as it got smokey as well as the stickups and the cigar boxes periodically. Opened and aired out the cooler every day. Eventually the funk got less, some cigars neve seemed to improve so I pitched them.

Eventually the remaining cigars became smokeable, but still to this day have a funk to them. I am still looking after some of them but have no high hopes of improvement.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

Oh, the insurance co will not replace tobacco.
I would take the advise of a guy that's been though this.

Sorry to hear about the fire but I am glad to hear that noone was hurt.
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote