Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default I come seeking advice

Alright asylum, I have a potential dilemma, and I'd like some impartial input on the matter.
Preface: I graduate from pharmacy school 4 months from today, and I'm not sure what to do for employment, but I have options.

As I posted in the troops room, I am trying to join the Air Force (was Navy, but that changed for financial reasons ) to be a pharmacist. It has always been a dream of mine to serve, which makes this a great opportunity both for the pride of service and the professional experience (Air Force pharmacy is an excellent practice setting). As it stands now, I have submitted all paper work, done my physical and am waiting on an Interview and medical approval from the surgeon general. Hopefully everything will be wrapped up (including being selected or not) by the end of Feb. - I would enter as O-3.

OR

The other option is this - back in July I did a rural rotation at an independently owned pharmacy in a small town (15K) about an hour from Amarillo. The owner and I really hit it off (he's younger, 42 I believe) and he basically said I was the best student he had had through there, etc etc.
But he had a second pharmacist at the time (my preceptor actually). About two weeks after my rotation was done she turned in her 30 days notice. This shocked him, but opened a door for me. That was in august, and he still hasn't hired anyone to fill that spot.
He has offered me the job, good pay, all the benefits etc.
Now, I'm not crazy about the town, but it's not that big of a deal, it is, however really far away from both my family and my wife's. This is all secondary though, because houses average 60 or so dollar a square foot and we can get a nice sized house for "cheap" and family can visit any time.

The real catch is, he wants to sell the pharmacy in the next 10 years, and he would want me to buy it. Now, that sounds great, and really it is, BUT... while the money would be excellent I would be married to the job. We're talking 60-80 hour weeks, lots of stress, managing a large business (the pharmacy has a large Home Health department and a radioshack), etc etc.

So (and that's the abbreviated version), I'm trying to figure out what to do. I still think the AF is my first choice, but this other opportunity almost doesn't exist anymore. The big chains have killed the little guy, most independents are selling out or have gone out of business. This pharmacy has the infrastructure to last the duration, but I would be stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere for...a while.

Now, that all said, if you were me, how would you approach this? Short term, the money wouldn't be appreciably different. Long term - Military has great retirement as you may know, but I would earn less in the mean time. I would make a great deal more owning the pharmacy, and would, presumably, make a good amount of coin when I finally sell it. Money is not everything though, I always vowed I would never be married to work. So, if you will, lend me your advice. I'm 26 and have never had a full time job for longer than 3 months at a time (summers), I've been a student non-stop since Pre-school.
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I come seeking advice

Tim you can never go wrong with the Military. You'll gain a ton of experience that employers will jump all over. Not to mention the job security can't be beat. Good luck either way.

Chris.....
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Two diff points of view bro...on the one side u talk about business and $...on the other you talk about military which means u follow orders and make very little $ (though officers make decent coin) The first oppoertunity may be far but who is to say the AF won't send you half way around the globe to be a pharmacist? Also if you have a wife, ask her opinion since she will be traveling with you in either aspect. I know the AF can keep u on a duty station for longer than a normal 3yr rotation if u know the right people.
It is tough to tell u what is best or give you the best unbiased advice since I served in the millitary, but I would say ask your family or significant other. The military has a tendency to break marriages. Best of luck in any choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

The independently owned pharmacy may look good now but all it takes is any one of the big chains to open up near to it and there goes a big chunk of your business. Like all the big chains they come in to town set their prices lower then you can match or when your lease is up they offer the landlord more then you can match for your space.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldanders View Post
The independently owned pharmacy may look good now but all it takes is any one of the big chains to open up near to it and there goes a big chunk of your business. Like all the big chains they come in to town set their prices lower then you can match or when your lease is up they offer the landlord more then you can match for your space.
actually, the owner owns the buildings and the land outright, so that isn't a concern really. And CVS is about to come to the town, but they're buying out the other independent, which the owner of "my" pharmacy says will boost scripts by ~30%. The main financial concern with the independent would be if government meddling ruins reimbursements even more, etc.

and to Bao, my wife is on board with whatever I do. From talking to current active duty pharmacists, it is highly unlikely that I would be deployed (apparently there's a volunteer list a mile long) and she doesn't mind the moving aspect.

thanks for the responses, these are all things I'll either know or figure out that I need to find out.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

As an O-3 with avg. US housing allowance you would make $73K. Not to mention the benefits, plus you are serving this great nation.

The AF kicks ass by the way!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Another pharmacy coming in actually would help your pharmacy. Think about McDonalds/BK/Wendy's or any fast food chain, ever see any of those by itself? There are always by each other it actually increases their business, and they help eachother.

While it is noble and a great thing to serve your country, I would take the job at the pharmacy. I've never served and can't comment on if it would be easier to start a family but it seems to me like it would be easier out of the military. I would say get your feet wet working at the pharmacy and see what it's actually like there. Maybe it won't be as much work as you think owning it. I imagine too owning the pharmacy would give you a greater chance to leave something to your children, whether it be the actually business or financially being able to support them.

This is a big decision to make, good luck to you. My prayers are with you Tim.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Military option...the benefits are great...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
dogface_313

As a pharmacist in the military you will make great money. You will make whatever your pay grade's base pay, plus doctors and specialty fields make extra money "special incentive pay" any where from 20K to 36 K dependent on your field. I hope whoever you are speaking to is telling you all this. Get board certified and you make even more. You can find all this information @ http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...PayTable34.pdf . I hope you are talking to an Officer recruiter, most recruitment stations have one or should direct you towards one. Regular recruiters will not be steering you in the right direction.

From my personal experience, I love the military. The quality of people that I work with is amazing. You will never meet a more dedicated, and motivated group of people.

When it comes down to it, if money is your biggest concern don't go military. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I have never used anything I studied once since I graduated, and I make between 20K-30K less than my peers with similar degrees. However, like you said "it has always been a dream of mine to serve", if you don't you may very quickly find yourself regretting not doing so. I have never regret joining the military, and look forward going into work and training with my guys every day.\

Ultimately it is going to be a tough decision, but a noble one. If you have any more questions about military service, commissioning etc. shoot me a PM. Thanks for even considering joining the team, and oh yeah don't go chair force come to the Army!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
mikeandshellie2
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shellie
Trading: (72)
Cohiba
mikeandshellie2 has a spectacular aura aboutmikeandshellie2 has a spectacular aura about

Hmm, well let me give you the advice of a AF wife. First and foremost military is HARD on a marriage you must make sure your marriage is secure and the both of you are very secure people independently. I've seen so many marriages tank over the years that it would scare you,( I've been with Mike for half of his career of 23 years). It's a great honor to serve the military,but at the same time I'm looking at you being the boss , thats an extremely rare thing nowadays. I say go try out the independent pharmacy first, give it a couple of years or at least one your still young enough that if you change your mind down the road you can go the military route.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
Lensjockie

We're talking 60-80 hour weeks, lots of stress, that is the military.
That being said. At your age go see the world and the services will give you that and a paycheck. The up side is I have never seen an officer do poorly after they get out.
It is about the connections you make while you are in and they lead to much more once you are out. Plus health care is covered, housing, paycheck, and did I forget you earn your weight as a citizen rather than live by the freedoms others provide.

If CVS is coming it is more likely that he is looking fro the exit door, dollars to donuts once he had you in he'd try to sell it sooner rather than later.

Talk to the wife if she is onboard, aim high.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Opportunities like the one you have been offered dont come along every day. Even though its an hour from where you are now, you could always find a home halfway, and then only have a 30 minute commute.

You could even try it out for a year or two and see if you like it. If you dont, then enlist. I'm sure they would love to have a pharmacist with a few years experience under his belt.

The Air Force will always be there, an opportunity like this man has offered you does not. My

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Opportunities like the one you have been offered dont come along every day. Even though its an hour from where you are now, you could always find a home halfway, and then only have a 30 minute commute.

You could even try it out for a year or two and see if you like it. If you dont, then enlist. I'm sure they would love to have a pharmacist with a few years experience under his belt.

The Air Force will always be there, an opportunity like this man has offered you does not. My
Moe is wise.

Both opportunities offer great potential. And both have their downside. While reading thru all the replies, I was thinking I would recommend the local pharmacy opportunity solely on the basis of it being a "once in a lifetime" opportunity that would likely not present itself at a later date. The Air Force will still be there down the road.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Thank you everyone who has replied.

Allow me to clear up a couple things:

As for the AF, I have been solely in contact with a health profession (officer) recruiter, so I've been made away of all the incentive pay etc. (it's 20K for pharmacists).
AF Pharmacy does NOT generally deploy pharmacists, there's about a 99% chance that I would serve my time at whatever duty station I'm at, so it is highly unlikely that I would be separated from my wife for long periods of time. But I do appreciate the concerns over this.

As for the pharmacy - unfortunately the situation is not 'try for 2-5 years and decide if I want to buy in', it's basically, up front, I need to agree to begin buying in after about 3-5 years. Certainly if I truly hated it I could likely get out of it, but I don't want to do the owner wrong, and set him back several years with no backup plan. So really it's a 20-30 commitment up front on that.

Both are great opportunities, the pharmacy offers more money but many more hours of work as well, the air force offers the satisfaction of service to country, good enough pay and great benefits (which really can't be understated).

With that, I will await more opinions, I really appreciate all you guys have said so far, thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (3)
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

Tough choice you have there brother.

i can't really offer much advice, but good luck!
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
As for the pharmacy - unfortunately the situation is not 'try for 2-5 years and decide if I want to buy in', it's basically, up front, I need to agree to begin buying in after about 3-5 years. Certainly if I truly hated it I could likely get out of it, but I don't want to do the owner wrong, and set him back several years with no backup plan. So really it's a 20-30 commitment up front on that.
Would this be a contractual obligation on your part? If so, then the current owner would be bound to wait until 3 years to sell. 3 years should be ample time for you to assess the fit. Also, your desire to "do the owner no wrong" is admirable, you must look out for yourself first. I have a feeling he would do the same.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Would this be a contractual obligation on your part? If so, then the current owner would be bound to wait until 3 years to sell. 3 years should be ample time for you to assess the fit. Also, your desire to "do the owner no wrong" is admirable, you must look out for yourself first. I have a feeling he would do the same.

Exactly what I was going to write. A llfe time is a long time, and buying this pharmacy is a huge commitment. You need to see how you like it, and how you like living in a small town. Lifestyle is very important, the older you get, the more you appreciate it. If there is something in the contract that deals with you buying the business, make sure you get a contract lawyer to review it, so that you know what it potentially binds you to.
Also, 3 years will give you a sense of the effect CVS is going to have on the business. An owner who is looking to sell is not going to tell you that scripts are going to go down. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not. He's 42 and he's looking to sell, there's a reason for that.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Wow, lot of good answers. One thing I keep seeing you alude to is the long hours you would put in as the owner of the pharmacy. Make no mistake you will put in at least the same in the military. I was Navy and I would say 60 hours a week was the norm not the exception. As one man once told me, you will never get rich fiscally in the service, but may be enrichened by serving. Working for your self is where real money is made.

I don't feel any feel desire from you to own a business, not sure why, just not coming accross. So if you not inclined to own/run a business might not be a great idea. One other option to consider, work the civilian life for a 2 - 3 years, take on a second pharmacist as it sounds like 2 are needed in that store anyway and join the AF/Navy reserves/guard. Even in the rual area where I live the mom and pos have still withstood the big boxes coming in. CVS has survived as well as Wally World, Walgreens has closed. Still 2 or 3 local owned as well. I hate Wally World so I try to spend my $$$$ elsewhere when I can.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Another clarification

The owner is not looking to sell right away, he is, however, looking for someone to take over in the next 10 years. I've seen the financials on the place, revenue stream is of no concern, his being an independent, and having working protocols with the physicians in town allows him to do so much more than any chain could ever do. The practice setting would be nice, but Volt, you're right, I really don't know if I want the responsibility of owning a business, I've always said I didn't want to, but this is a unique situation
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
Exactly what I was going to write. A llfe time is a long time, and buying this pharmacy is a huge commitment. You need to see how you like it, and how you like living in a small town. Lifestyle is very important, the older you get, the more you appreciate it. If there is something in the contract that deals with you buying the business, make sure you get a contract lawyer to review it, so that you know what it potentially binds you to.
Also, 3 years will give you a sense of the effect CVS is going to have on the business. An owner who is looking to sell is not going to tell you that scripts are going to go down. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not. He's 42 and he's looking to sell, there's a reason for that.

This I don't know, we haven't gotten that far into negotiations. I have been extended the offer, but as far as details, those haven't been covered in any specificity.