Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Padilla Series '68 (Under $5/stk!)

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Cuban-seed Corojo

Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan (Jalapa and Condega)

Strength: Medium-Full

Price: Box of 20, $99.95

Grade: 9.1

The final cigar released in honor of Ernesto Padilla’s poet father, the Series ’68 commemorates the year Herberto was arrested for speaking publicly against Castro; 1968 is also the year Herberto published his controversial work on the same matter as his arrest. This is the only cigar in the tribute line that was hand-rolled in Honduras. The Padilla Series 1932 honored Herberto’s birth and the 1948 honored the publication of his first book of poetry, Las Rosas Audaces, at only 16 years old.

This is another review from our friend Chris, who continues to empty his humidor in celebration of the recent birth of his son. So, let’s see how he describes his toasting.

Pre-light, 1.8:
This ’68 Robusto was very smooth to the touch with minimal veins, a nice density, and no soft spots. The head was capped well and the foot was a nice, even and full circle. This stick had been in my humidor for around 14 months and the skin looked to have taken on a thin sheet of plume. The pre-light aroma had an earthy smell with the slightest bit of sweetness at the foot.

Burn, 1.9:
The burn on the Series ’68 was excellent. The ash held great through the first third of the smoke before I knocked it off. The draw was spot on and the exhale emitted some nice, thick smoke. The ’68 did require one touch up toward the beginning, but I believe this was due to being a bit wet from over humidification.

Flavor, 2.6:
The ’68 didn’t pack quite the punch I was hoping for. It didn’t have many transitions though it was rather consistent. There was spice up front, but this quickly mellowed out to an earthy to hay taste. I would have loved to have the spice return but it never came back. The ’68 was consistently smooth, the transitions were subtle, and the ’68 also had a texture to it that I haven’t quite identified yet.

Overall, 2.8:
Getting right to it, at $5 a smoke this Series ’68 is most definitely box worthy. The appearance is clean, the burn is razor sharp, and, though the flavor could stand some complexity, this is an excellent value. I’ll keep an eye open for a Padilla sampler, as I’ve also enjoyed the ’32.

(Total: 9.1)

And, don't forget, every comment on original post enters you into our contest!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Padilla Series '68 (Under $5/stk!)

Thanks for the review! I happen to love these sticks. I have 7 left out of my box, and 3 of the torpedo size. I've loved every one I've tried and they can be had farily cheap if you keep your eyes open.
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I'm sitting on one of these, as I've heard from many that they need a few months. It's probably good to go now and maybe I'll break it out tonight. Thanks for the review!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

This stick sat for probably a year or so...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
sodomanaz

These are pretty good, especially when on sale for ~$3 a stick (time to time on joe, cbid, etc).
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice job on the review!!!

These are a favorite of mine!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I have really enjoyed the '68s I have smoked. Thanks for the review.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

The '68 are very enjoyable.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

the few ive had i actually didnt enjoy.. i got a fiver from the devil site and got sort of a grassy/hay flavor out of them... maybe in a few more months
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote