Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Hey Beer Guys, Recommend Some Stouts to Me

I had a stout at a brew pub over the weekend that I really liked. It had undertones of hot chocolate. Very nice. I've tried some Russian Imperial Stouts, and they're not really my thing. Or at least I haven't figured them out yet. But what "normal" American stouts can you recommend to me?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Hey Beer Guys, Recommend Some Stouts to Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
And lastly Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout is out of this world good and will last so you can cellar it.

scottie

That would be my first choice. I can only get it in 4 packs now, at about $11 each , so I don't buy very much.

Rogue makes a couple stouts that are very good--"Shakespeare Stout", and one other--and Bell's has their Kalamazoo Stout (which is good,) and a Java Stout that I have not tried. Victory Brewing puts out Storm King Stout, which is a Russian Imperial that I really like.

Good luck!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I'm love stouts, particularly oatmeal stouts. Breckenridge oatmeal stout is delicious. I'd also recommend Sierra Nevada stout (nothing special, but a good stout at a good price) and Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
ytodd

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout is really nice for the price, but I have to agree that Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is off the chain!

Mad River makes a decent stout too, though I forget the name. I am into my winter porter mode now. Enjoying the double batch I brewed 12 weeks ago.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep them coming. I can't get some of the brands you're recommending here in MN, but I may need to make a road trip to WI to buy some.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Warren, I just noticed that Summit has an Oatmeal Stout available. I don't know where, or if just on tap, though.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/467/17637 Dunno if it is still Tap or cask only, since it is Nitro.

Last edited by replicant_argent; 12-01-2009 at 10:20 AM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Wanger

We've gotten Left Hand and Bell's Kalamazoo locally, and I'd agree on those two. I'd add Founder's Breakfast Stout to the list of what you should try, too. And if you go out to a Granite City for dinner sometime, I'd definitely recommend you try their Broad Axe stout. I have the every time we go.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
ChicagoWhiteSox

Goose Island Oatmeal Stout is good.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Abyss Imperial Stout from Deschutes Brewery is very smooth.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Scimmia

Stouts run such a wide range. When you look at everything from Guinness Draught to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, the only thing they have in common is that they're darker in color. What stouts have you had that you liked?

For an Irish Dry, I'd try Black Sun from Three Floyds or a classic like Murphy's. For a sweet/milk stout, Left Hand does make a good one, or the ever popular Young's Double Chocolate Stout. For an Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith's is a must try, IMO. The Goose Island one is good, but a bit light for my tastes. For something a bit more hoppy, some of the American Stouts like Rogue's Shakespeare Stout or Lost Coast's 8 Ball are easy enough to find.

Then there's the Imperial Stouts. Being in MSP, I would think that Darkness from Surly would be one you'd have to try, if you can ind it. Old Rasputin is one of the definitions of the style, and widely available. Yeti from Great Divide is very good and can you can usually find it without too much problem. Founders also makes a great Imperial Stout that should be available soon.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Scimmia

Oh, be aware, a number of the beers people are recommending aren't going to be available in WI, either. Black Flag, Brooklyn, and Deschutes aren't distributed much in the midwest.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is very nice!!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Breakfast Stout would be considered an imperial stout by most I would think. It is 8% ABV, which usually means they start adding the I.

Dogfish Head Chickory Stout is pretty good. I agree with Bells.

I'm not the best person to ask though, as I'm only a fan of stouts when I'm in the mood for them, which isn't too often.

Oh, and Boulevard makes a decent stout IMO. I think you can get that up there.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

I ran into this article on BA as I've been trying to learn more about porters and stouts. Thought some of you beerheads might be interested. It talks about the history of porters and stouts and how they used to be made.

http://beerconnoisseur.com/porter-versus-stout
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Ten Fidy Russian Imperial Stout Hoppin Frog Oatmeal Imperial Stout, Dog Fish Head World Wide Stout are some on my favs. But of course the Best one is Dark Lord.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
leasingthisspace

Some of the ones I like that have been mentioned already are the Left Hand Milk Stout and the Southern Tier Jah*Va Coffee Stout. I have found of the last few months as I have been sliding down the beer slope I really enjoy a smooth balanced stout. It is a fine line with either too much bitterness or not enough flavor. Those two haven't let me down yet. I know where I go they have a build your own six pack area and I usually buy from there because nobody wants to buy six packs of beer they aren't going to like. I am glad you asked this question because I am always on the look out for tasty stouts.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I tell you I have been really impressed with Shiner's 100 year Commemorator. Also try Midnight Sun Beserker Imperial or Mammoth Stout.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Thank you Black Dog, I always wondered if they were realated but I was not sure how.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Goose Island Bourbon Stout - I only had one at a cigar bar last week, but it was outstanding. 13% alcohol and full of flavors. Kind of chocolate covered raisiny. I highly recommend it.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

I went out yesterday and bought this mixed 6'er of stouts. Looking forward to trying a couple today.