Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Pipe Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

I remember reading an article in a Cigar magazine awhile back that had this pipe.. thought it looked amazing! Any pro's, Con's with this brand, as well as the pipe style as a general rule...

And possibly any other recommendations that would feel good in the hands of a 6ft + average weight Metal head! lol ( It seems alot of shorter guys will go for a churchwarden, or a classic straight, and taller go for the smaller, stout bowl styles.. Just wanted to keep it going if its law around here )

Here's the pipe that has me all Mind craze'd over

Jirsa Blowfish's

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIR...item4ceb7c3cab

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIR...item4ceb7c46ec

thanks for any help
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home
 
Commander Quan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Derrick
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 965
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

I'm not sure that the old briar would be good enough for any respectable metal head. The clear choice would be one of the following.








But in all seriousness i prefer the first one over the rusticated.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

lol Your to much well atleast you know what i mean hahaha.


The first one IS gorgeous, any info on the brand as a whole? Like i said im finally interested in a quality pipe, and want something that can grow on me. If another brand, or style would better suit my character, i would be very interested, but right now, That Jirsa Blowfish looks SOOOO damn sweet.


Large bowl, but very short stem, I wonder how the smoke would be...
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?
 
VirtualSmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The Evil Empire
Posts: 2,031
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
I remember reading an article in a Cigar magazine awhile back that had this pipe.. thought it looked amazing! Any pro's, Con's with this brand, as well as the pipe style as a general rule...

And possibly any other recommendations that would feel good in the hands of a 6ft + average weight Metal head! lol ( It seems alot of shorter guys will go for a churchwarden, or a classic straight, and taller go for the smaller, stout bowl styles.. Just wanted to keep it going if its law around here )

Here's the pipe that has me all Mind craze'd over

Jirsa Blowfish's

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIR...item4ceb7c3cab

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIR...item4ceb7c46ec

thanks for any help
I actually have that very same pipe (the smooth version). Good smoker
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid - Benjamin Franklin
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
I actually have that very same pipe (the smooth version). Good smoker
Wooot!
THANKS SOO much V.S any pro's or con's you see in this pipe? Still looks like a very interesting buy!



(Finally went back and read a few pipe magazines and found my make)
But to my surprise, this was not the original pipe i was thinking of. The Article i read was about a man's quest on having a 7day Pipe set, and the Maker, and Style of that was the Peter Heeschen Blowfish. but DAMN after seeing that price, I think i like the first one more lol http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...oduct_ID=55275


Then after looking more into Heeschen i begin to appreciate his craft, and now his Danish Poker may go better for my ally. http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/DanishPoker.php

Damn, the more I look into this, the more i have No clue what i want!
I guess this will be a challenge


So far, the search will be for a Blowfish, or a Danish Poker!
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?
 
VirtualSmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The Evil Empire
Posts: 2,031
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
Wooot!
THANKS SOO much V.S any pro's or con's you see in this pipe? Still looks like a very interesting buy!

So far, the search will be for a Blowfish, or a Danish Poker!
One of the sides is a bit thin so it does get a bit warm. Aside from that, no complaints. It's my penzance pipe, I smoke it all the time.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid - Benjamin Franklin
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
One of the sides is a bit thin so it does get a bit warm. Aside from that, no complaints. It's my penzance pipe, I smoke it all the time.
what other pipes do ya own, Does this Jirsa stand up to more brands of higher quality by chance? thanks again
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

I don't own a Jirsa, but my understanding is that it is an excellent hand-made midgrade. The guys over on smokersforums that have Jirsas swear by them
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

thanks alot!
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
MarkinCA
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
MarkinCA's Avatar
9
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Santa Clarita Valley
Posts: 6,150
Trading: (40)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinCA is a splendid one to beholdMarkinCA is a splendid one to beholdMarkinCA is a splendid one to beholdMarkinCA is a splendid one to beholdMarkinCA is a splendid one to beholdMarkinCA is a splendid one to beholdMarkinCA is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Kinda like the smooth Jirsa myself ST. Real pretty looking pipe
__________________
"MADELINE - The Hope Giver" http://madelinethehopegiver.com/
MarkinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?
 
VirtualSmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The Evil Empire
Posts: 2,031
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
what other pipes do ya own, Does this Jirsa stand up to more brands of higher quality by chance? thanks again
Phew, what other makes? Lets see, 18 Charatans, 6 Ser Jacopos, 3 Claudio Cavicchis, 2 Larry Roushs, 1 Jirsa, 1 Peterson, 1 Stanwell, 3 IMP Meers, 1 Ronny Thuner, 1 Lanes Johnson, 1 WO Larsen, 2 Rad Davis, 4 Dunhills, 2 Comoys, 1 Ashton, 1 Tsuge, 1 Caminetto, 2 Radices, 2 Ardors, 6 various cobs, and about twenty different basket pipes.

The Jirsa definitely holds its own compared to the Stanwell, Petey, Larsen, and cheapos I have. It's an excellent pipe for the money I think, I have pipes that were much more expensive that don't smoke as well.

If you've never tried pipe smoking before you might want to consider some cobs or a meer. If your going to be sampling a bunch of different tobaccos a single briar pipe is gonna get some flavor ghosts. You won't get that so much with cobs or a meer.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid - Benjamin Franklin
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Dude, VS, that's a ridiculous pipe roster you've got there

I'm curious though, I had two Rad Davis pipes, and I think the world of them, I'm curious, in general how your 1. Cavicchis 2. Dunhills and 3. Ser Jacs compare in smoking quality.

I ask because theose are three brands I've almost purchased a few times, but I feel like, for either the same, or less (in the case of the dunnies) money I could get a Rad. Thoughts?
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Phew, what other makes? Lets see, 18 Charatans, 6 Ser Jacopos, 3 Claudio Cavicchis, 2 Larry Roushs, 1 Jirsa, 1 Peterson, 1 Stanwell, 3 IMP Meers, 1 Ronny Thuner, 1 Lanes Johnson, 1 WO Larsen, 2 Rad Davis, 4 Dunhills, 2 Comoys, 1 Ashton, 1 Tsuge, 1 Caminetto, 2 Radices, 2 Ardors, 6 various cobs, and about twenty different basket pipes.

The Jirsa definitely holds its own compared to the Stanwell, Petey, Larsen, and cheapos I have. It's an excellent pipe for the money I think, I have pipes that were much more expensive that don't smoke as well.

If you've never tried pipe smoking before you might want to consider some cobs or a meer. If your going to be sampling a bunch of different tobaccos a single briar pipe is gonna get some flavor ghosts. You won't get that so much with cobs or a meer.
Been threw a few Cob's, Mainly for sampling different tobacco's
And Also i have my Briar i bought online i think from the "other place " from a guy that hooked me up with a great selection of tobacco as well- All it says is Algerian Briar Made in France. Def. a cheaper pipe, So i tend on using it for flavors.

So all in and all a Jirsa would be a great pickup for someone Looking towards a more quality pipe, But still under the 100$ Range
If you have any other suggestions i would be very interested in them as well
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?
 
VirtualSmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The Evil Empire
Posts: 2,031
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
Dude, VS, that's a ridiculous pipe roster you've got there

I'm curious though, I had two Rad Davis pipes, and I think the world of them, I'm curious, in general how your 1. Cavicchis 2. Dunhills and 3. Ser Jacs compare in smoking quality.

I ask because theose are three brands I've almost purchased a few times, but I feel like, for either the same, or less (in the case of the dunnies) money I could get a Rad. Thoughts?
They vary quite a bit. I won't be buying any more Dunhills, they are good pipes but too expensive for what they are. One i've never smoked and prob never will so my experience is just over three pipes. I'd rather get a pipe from a carver than pay Dunhill prices these days. Or maybe another Charatan estate for a fraction of the price, I love those pipes!

Ser Jacopo pipes are a love hate thing for me. I used to have a bunch more than I do now but i've since gifted/sold/traded a bunch. I love the style but the smoking quality pipe to pipe is terribly inconsistent. Some smoke great from day one, others take ages to break in, and some just never smoked good. It drives me batty

Cavicchi makes great pipes. Out of the three I have two are among the best smokers i've got in the whole collection. I bought them before he got super popular so the price point was nice too. Now they are a bit more but if I have the scratch post Christmas i'd def like to add a few more to the collection.

I love my two Rad Davis pipes. They are great smokers for sure. I'd def pick another one up over a Dunhill or SJ any day of the week. JoeD gifted me a Rad smooth bent tomato years ago and its a fav of mine. If you have a soft spot for Rads work, keep buying them, I think they are excellent pipes! And it seems every time I look at them they get a little more expensive lol.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid - Benjamin Franklin
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?
 
VirtualSmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The Evil Empire
Posts: 2,031
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
Been threw a few Cob's, Mainly for sampling different tobacco's
And Also i have my Briar i bought online i think from the "other place " from a guy that hooked me up with a great selection of tobacco as well- All it says is Algerian Briar Made in France. Def. a cheaper pipe, So i tend on using it for flavors.

So all in and all a Jirsa would be a great pickup for someone Looking towards a more quality pipe, But still under the 100$ Range
If you have any other suggestions i would be very interested in them as well
For under 100 bucks? The new Italian made Comoy pipes are pretty good for the price they charge. There's always Petersons and Stanwells, i've only got one of each but they are pretty good pipes. I know alot of people that like Bjarne pipes as well.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid - Benjamin Franklin
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
For under 100 bucks? The new Italian made Comoy pipes are pretty good for the price they charge. There's always Petersons and Stanwells, i've only got one of each but they are pretty good pipes. I know alot of people that like Bjarne pipes as well.
well the Jirsa is under 100$ Borderline... Is this i take it an extreme for Low/Base grade quality from them?

I've never really seen to many Petersons or Stanwells that interest me, and have yet to look into Bjarne...
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?
 
VirtualSmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The Evil Empire
Posts: 2,031
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
well the Jirsa is under 100$ Borderline... Is this i take it an extreme for Low/Base grade quality from them?

I've never really seen to many Petersons or Stanwells that interest me, and have yet to look into Bjarne...
No, that's about what they retail for normally.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid - Benjamin Franklin
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal
 
Guitarman-S.T-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: S.T
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,133
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
No, that's about what they retail for normally.
Oh Perfect!

And may i ask which is you by far Favorite pipe, and the price range for that given pipe, I'm just interested in what a Vet. Pipe smoker as yourself prefers among all

thanks again for all the help
__________________
www.Deathroned.com 09'
"Beginning Our Reign!"
Guitarman-S.T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer
 
Emjaysmash's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: M.J.
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7,020
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

You better smoke that baby in concert! You'll be BAD ASS MAN!
__________________
Emjaysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!
 
drob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 245
Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

If you want to be less than or around $100, then the Bjarne, Peterson, and Savinelli's are great choices. I own at least one of each and they are all great smokers.

Another great choice is Mark Tinsky. An American carver whose pipes are top of the line puffers. They won't cost you an arm and a leg, either.

http://amsmoke.com/

The nicest, driest, coolest smoking pipe I own is the Cavicci that 'smitty gifted me.
But, the 3 Tinsky's I smoke hold their own quite well.
__________________
"Life is a garden - dig it!"
- Joe Dirt
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.