Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about
Default Need help to ID old movie cigar

I need some help identifying a cigar from the late 80s or early 90s.

I've been watching my Twin Peaks DVDs lately and I'm trying to identify the cigar the characer Ben Horne (played by Richard Beymer) was smoking. These images are from the second season which aired in 1991. I wasn't able to get very good images of the cigar since the characters got the camera's focus.

Actually, I've noticed at least 2 different vitolas so far but only one has a band on it - no way in hell to ID the ones without a band.

Here's what I've been able to observe about the band. It's a dark metallic green with gold piping on the top and bottom edges. The center of the main part of the band is a large white oval with some red image (maybe a star?) in the center or upper half. The dark green is definitely metallic because it really shines in the lights.

The last image shows it best. It even looks like there are little gold medals or stars around the edge of the white oval.

Any ideas from the FOGs?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
adampc22

Default Re: Need help to ID old movie cigar

looks like one of the bradley cigars maybe
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
catfish2

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures. Being from that time period it could have been a one of them boutique cigars that went bust after the last cigar boom.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish2 View Post
It's a little hard to tell in the pictures. Being from that time period it could have been a one of them boutique cigars that went bust after the last cigar boom.
Oof. I'm hoping that's not the case.

I have no idea about any cigars from that era outside the big-name marcas. Shoot, I was still in high school in 1991 so I definitely wasn't lighting up stogies.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Bump for need help.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Very valid possibility there.

Another possibility is that it's not even a "real" brand, and was something that was created for the show so that the cigar could have a band without having to pay licensing royalties to any cigar company. This actually happens quite often, where product names/logos are modified or completely obliterated to avoid having to pay out.

Also, this is David Lynch we are talking about, and he has been known to often use obscure little references and symbolism with objects and items in the background, so who knows, maybe the band on the cigar was something he created to have some hidden meaning.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Very valid possibility there.

Another possibility is that it's not even a "real" brand, and was something that was created for the show so that the cigar could have a band without having to pay licensing royalties to any cigar company. This actually happens quite often, where product names/logos are modified or completely obliterated to avoid having to pay out.

Also, this is David Lynch we are talking about, and he has been known to often use obscure little references and symbolism with objects and items in the background, so who knows, maybe the band on the cigar was something he created to have some hidden meaning.
More good points. Thanks guys. I'm tempted to find and join a fan club for that actor just to ask that question.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Bump for need help.
Planning a Halloween costume?

Based on your description of the band (I haven't seen an episode of T.P. since it was aired first run, so I don't remember any subtle details like cigar bands) I would say you could just get some El Mejor Emerald bands and a red permanent marker and color in the center and it would be close enough.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
More good points. Thanks guys. I'm tempted to find and join a fan club for that actor just to ask that question.
You never know, sometimes these actors get so into the parts that they remember the most minute details decades later. Other times, you have to remind them what movie it was that they were acting in and who they co-starred with...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

what episode number was it from season two?

FYI, i just sent him a message via myspace asking him if he remembers.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
what episode number was it from season two?

FYI, i just sent him a message via myspace asking him if he remembers.
Cool, thank you! I believe it was episode 22 that these pics came from. If he asks the scene was with Dr. Jacoby where he achieved his "breakthrough" and accepted the resignation of General Grant.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

i did some more searching and clicked a link and i got bombarded with a Fuente site... is it possible?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
catfish2

My question is why is it so important to find this particular brand? If your doing it for authenticity, does it really need to be that accurate? If your looking for it just to try it, keep in mind that if it was any good it would probably be easier to find. Think of it this way. Sometimes cigars are like deserts, the fancier they look, the crappier they taste.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I believe it was (from the look of the band) Palamino cigars which that red critter jumping in the center is a palamino horse. I don't think they are made anymore.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
nozero

Looks like an LFD label to me, but what do I know.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
My question is why is it so important to find this particular brand? If your doing it for authenticity, does it really need to be that accurate? If your looking for it just to try it, keep in mind that if it was any good it would probably be easier to find. Think of it this way. Sometimes cigars are like deserts, the fancier they look, the crappier they taste.
Eh, I'm a little OCD sometimes, especially about trivia and movies/TV/theater. I've watched the DVD series a few times but this is the first time through them AFTER I started smoking cigars. It just stuck in my head, that's all.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:

no one ever questioned Indiana Jones quest for the holy grail. I'd just assume help the guy find what he's looking for.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
catfish2

I don't mind helping. It's just that this thread is starting to remind me of an episode of "The Big Bang Theory", or listing to an argument over who was the best James Bond (Sean Connery).
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
I don't mind helping. It's just that this thread is starting to remind me of an episode of "The Big Bang Theory", or listing to an argument over who was the best James Bond (Sean Connery).
Of COURSE it was Sean Connery. They only had other guys play Bond when Sean was busy doing something else and couldn't be bothered! There IS no other Bond above him.

Edit: no sarcasm. he IS bond.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Of COURSE it was Sean Connery. They only had other guys play Bond when Sean was busy doing something else and couldn't be bothered! There IS no other Bond above him.

Edit: no sarcasm. he IS bond.
7 out of 10 inmates agree.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18354