Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
TheBeard
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Rob
Trading: (31)
TheBeard will become famous soon enough
Default Olivieros Kopi Luwak

It's been a few weeks since I smoked this cigar, but I might as well use it to get my toes wet in reviewing a cigar; that, and it doesn't seem that anyone else has reviewed this stick on this site. I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

Let's see, where to being... it was a cute little cigar that boasted to be infused with Kopi Luwak, the world's most expensive (and arguably the most repulsive) coffee. The wrapper smelled fresh and sweet, but not a lot like coffee. Probably not a good sign for a $5 infused cigar.

Clipped the cigar, and the draw was smooth. The wrapper tasted sweet. Lit it up, and ... well, there was smoke. It produced a good bit of smoke, and that's about it. There was no flavor to the cigar itself; the tobacco lent nothing. All that was there was this chemical sweetness and bitterness. Perhaps there was a hint of coffee somewhere in the vapor, but it was hard to detect.

The cigar stayed rather consistent through the first half. That's about when I got tired of it (and when I decided to relent to TanithT's bugging of me to throw it out and light up a respectable stick).

In summary: A cute stick to look at, but it was all smoke and chemical mirrors. Recommend to pass this one over.
TheBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olivieros Kopi Luwak

Thanks for the review Rob...will stay clear of these!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Uh oh! You may not want to read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Kopi Luwak (pronounced [ˈkopi ˈluwaʔ]) or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civet populations. The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Motit Coffee in the Cordillera, or Kape Alamid in Tagalog areas) and in East Timor (locally called kafé-laku). Local lore in Vietnam has given the name "weasel coffee" to civet coffee, in what is considered the closest recognizable translation to English.

It is flavored by beans that have been chit out of a friggin' animal.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Yeah, we know what kopi luwak is. The cigar tasted about like weasel sh*t, too.

The coffee on the other hand is excellent and I'd drink it again if it weren't ridiculously expensive.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Olivieros Kopi Luwak

"Good to the last dropping"...
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbandz View Post
"Good to the last dropping"...
Available at your local Turds R Us.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
DougBushBC

I can't imagine a sh1tty cigar made by a sh1tty cigar company infused with literally sh1tty coffee would taste like anything other than, well sh1t.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
I can't imagine a sh1tty cigar made by a sh1tty cigar company infused with literally sh1tty coffee would taste like anything other than, well sh1t.
With a room note of . For an even stronger and more exotic coffee, try our new Komodo Droppings. Who needs a damn cat when you can get coffee from a dragon?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
With a room note of . For an even stronger and more exotic coffee, try our new Komodo Droppings. Who needs a damn cat when you can get coffee from a dragon?
Varanid droppings tend to look like giant splotches of bird doody with occasional bits of bone, hair and other solids. The smell is not good. I've had to make slurries of the stuff and poke at it under the microscope. It *looks* like coffee, but I don't think you wanna go there.