Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Pipe Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Gift recommendations

Hey Fellas,

This is my first post in the Pipe forum. I usually stay on the cigar side of things.

A buddy of mine was over for dinner last night and knowing I enjoyed cigars he brought along his pipe that he hadnt smoked in quite some time (maybe 2-3 years).

I noticed that he had a hard time keeping his pipe lit while we were out smoking cigars and pipes and sipping a little Remy. Was this caused by old tobacco? I should also mention that it was like 40 degrees here while we were smoking last night.

I would like to get him some fresh 'baccy, but I have no idea what Im looking for. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few different brands, flavors etc for me? He said the flavor he was smoking last night was some Mocha thing or other...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance,
-Moe
__________________


"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Hydrated
Flake Rubber-outer
 
Hydrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle Georgia, USA
Posts: 57
Trading: (1)
Hydrated is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gift recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Hey Fellas,

This is my first post in the Pipe forum. I usually stay on the cigar side of things.

A buddy of mine was over for dinner last night and knowing I enjoyed cigars he brought along his pipe that he hadnt smoked in quite some time (maybe 2-3 years).

I noticed that he had a hard time keeping his pipe lit while we were out smoking cigars and pipes and sipping a little Remy. Was this caused by old tobacco? I should also mention that it was like 40 degrees here while we were smoking last night.

I would like to get him some fresh 'baccy, but I have no idea what Im looking for. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few different brands, flavors etc for me? He said the flavor he was smoking last night was some Mocha thing or other...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance,
-Moe
Difficulty keeping a pipe lit can stem from many things, but not necessarily old tobacco. If it was stored correctly, that old tobacco should burn just fine (and prolly taste better than fresh). I assume from his choice of "mocha something" that he likes aromatics... there are some good choices out there.

Do you want to mail order the tobacco, or buy locally? Mail order will allow you to choose one that matches his tastes... you can find nearly anything online.
Hydrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gift recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
Difficulty keeping a pipe lit can stem from many things, but not necessarily old tobacco. If it was stored correctly, that old tobacco should burn just fine (and prolly taste better than fresh). I assume from his choice of "mocha something" that he likes aromatics... there are some good choices out there.

Do you want to mail order the tobacco, or buy locally? Mail order will allow you to choose one that matches his tastes... you can find nearly anything online.

Mail order (or internet) would work for me. Since he is most likely an aromatic kinda smoker, any suggestions tobacco wise? Is there an aromatic that is very popular amongst pipe smokers?

I recieved a suggestion to try a McCellans Sampler on another forum, but I just wanted to see if there were any others?

Price is not of great concern
__________________


"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
glassjapan
Still Watching My Back
 
glassjapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 78
Trading: (11)
glassjapan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gift recommendations

One thing you might want to try is get him a couple of tins of different types of tobacco. They're all cheap from a cigar smokers perspective ($6-$12 per tin).
Just a couple of examples of popular choices:

Virginia: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, McClelland's Christmas Cheer

VA/Perique: A&C Peterson's Escudo, G.L.Pease's Fillmore

English/Balkan: Dunhill's Nightcap, GLP's Charring Cross

Orientals: any of McClelland's Grand Orientals, GLP's Cairo

Try smokingpipes.com or 4Noggins.com
Both are great retailers with good prices and excellent customer service.
Good luck!
glassjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gift recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjapan View Post
One thing you might want to try is get him a couple of tins of different types of tobacco. They're all cheap from a cigar smokers perspective ($6-$12 per tin).
Just a couple of examples of popular choices:

Virginia: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, McClelland's Christmas Cheer

VA/Perique: A&C Peterson's Escudo, G.L.Pease's Fillmore

English/Balkan: Dunhill's Nightcap, GLP's Charring Cross

Orientals: any of McClelland's Grand Orientals, GLP's Cairo

Try smokingpipes.com or 4Noggins.com
Both are great retailers with good prices and excellent customer service.
Good luck!
Thanks Glass, I really appreciate the recommendations
__________________


"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.