Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough
Default Just my feelings toward Cigar Asylum

A conversation I just had with a fellow CA member and BOTL has inspired me to make this post.

It has been a very rough road for me through the last year and a half working with Guillen Cigars (AKA GDW Cigars), more than most of you will ever know. I have constantly been fighting stress emotionally and financially. When I first got into this in Sept 07, I saw it as a fun project to make some money and help people at the same time. I didnt smoke at the time and it took me 8 months to get to the point to light up my first stogie. After that i very rapidly got past the taboo of smoking (cigars).

From there I started getting more and more involved with online communities. First Cigar Live, than Cigar Pass, Club Stogie, and soon after Cigar Asylum. It wasnt until CA started that I truly got to understand what Cigars are all about. Brothers of the leaf, the people, the friendships, that all come together while stepping away from life and enjoying a good smoke together. And when I say this... I dont just mean this compared to other Cigar forums... But I dont think there is any other place online or in person, that I can meet so many quality people... PERIOD! Not even "family" reunions.... To me, Cigar Asylum has been probably the most support I have gotten from anyway/anyone/for anything, in my whole life. My life is full of people including my own family telling me Im a failure and will always be. That Im wasting my time and money on anything I try to do. Recently, SOME of them are starting to see the light. But CA as complete strangers has come to my side and kept me on my feet. When that above mentioned CA member was talking to me I realized that among many other factors along the way, without CA, I very well may have never made it this far or ever succeeded. There are so many of you that I would gladly consider family. Since day one you have encouraged me, and listened to my stresses, and stuck by my side. Not only do I feel honored to know you guys, I feel that same honor in return. Recently I tried to break into a new forum that I will not name. But right off the bat I was treated I feel poorly because I was not a site supporter. At that time making my introduction I offered up free sticks to a bunch of people in a box pass with some interesting aspects to it. I had not even tried to sell my cigars yet and a few key members/mods were hurrassing me about not giving them money. Granted many of the other members responded in my defense, I didnt and STILL dont feel like Im truely welcome there. JUST BECAUSE OF MY OCCUPATION... Its like im completely disregarded as being able to be a valid member of the site beyond the point of being a vendor. I first posted there 3 months ago and still have not posted a single sale thread, and just yesterday a member with 21,000 posts and a site supporter was putting me down for not contributing money.

At that same time I had decided I dont really want to post more sale threads here on CA, The extra money has definitely been key to keeping us in business but now that we are getting into retail I dont think its as necessary. As much as I can use the extra money and enjoy getting my cigars to more members, I just don't want to take away from the rest of what CA has to offer. I look at CA as a home, friends, a place to put my feet down and blow off some steam if i need too (which can be often), and lend my ears to others at the same time. I know im not the only one here having a tuff time in life!!! I dont want to feel less a part of that because I usa CA as a "marketing tool" as referred to by members on the other sites...

All n all, I dont know what EVERYONE gets out of my participation on the boards, but there is a large group that I owe the deapest gratitude. There is now way I can thank you enough. And although I dont really know the admins TOO well, I have to give a special thanks to you guys as well. You guys do an OUTSTANDING job. you keep this place the way it was meant to be. Without a team like you guys it wouldnt be the same, Congratulations.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Don't ever change.
Andy
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
DougBushBC

Default Re: Just my feelings tward Cigar Asylum

Awwwwwwwww
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Andy,

It is for people like you that the Team of 11 created CA in the first place. We wanted to establish a community that folks could call home. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
blooz4u

Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just my feelings toward Cigar Asylum

Any site who's first call is "show me the money" ain't worth chit.

Thanks for reminding us why we're here, Andy.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
dccraft

Thanks for sharing your story Andy. There are a lot of great folks on here that truely DO make this place feel like home!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I'm glad you're part of the family here and glad we had a chance to meet, Andy.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Wanger

Well said, Andy. And I will say that it was definitely great to meet you and hang out in Vegas.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Andy, you are as much a part of Cigar Asylum as anyone. I'm sure most everyone here is glad you're a part of the community.

One of the reasons we have a retailer room is so folks like you can advertise what you have without fear of others hounding you to buy a banner ad or requiring you to participate in a "paid" membership. That room was made just for folks like you!

Thank you for the very kind words.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Very well said. Thanks to the Gang of 11, this place has become both home and a refuge.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

You're one of the good guys Andy, and it's a pleasure to call you brother.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the thoughtful and inspiring post, Andy. And thanks for making great cigars.

This place *is* great.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I can only echo Peter's words Andy. The name Asylum has alot more significance than many realized at first.

This is truly a refuge or port in troubled times.

Best of luck to you!

Travis
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Very well said. Thanks to the Gang of 11, this place has become both home and a refuge.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the thoughtful post Andy and best of luck with your venture.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Well said, Andy!

Your post really made me smile... and realize how grateful I am for this little family we have here.

Other boards exist for different reasons... Cigar Asylum is what I am looking for in a cigar community. Sounds like it is for you, too.

Blessings on you and your business ventures. You know you have a lot of support here in the Asylum.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice post Andy

elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
ChicagoWhiteSox

Thanks Andy
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

Great Post!
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I feel like I know you better after reading your post, Andy, and it is great having BOTLs like you in the Asylum. Being a retailer doesn't mean you can't be a true Brother of the Leaf as well...thanks for reminding us of that.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote