Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation
Default Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto

This is one of my early reviews (2005). Just goes to show how tastes change

I don't particularly like the Rocky Patel label design, but other than that this cigar looked ok..

Lit it up and it started out just OK. In the first third I noticed that it wanted to burn hot - the faster I smoked it, the better it tasted. After that, it heated up on its own, and started to taste really good with each draw. Medium-strong, complex, well-balanced. I could see why people rave about the vintage line. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's worth putting up with the first part to get to the rest.
I'll probably try at least one more, but unless it is more consistent start to finish, I'm not sure it's worth it.
mmblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto

As always, one of my favs. Love the 1990. Nice review.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice review!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

This is a review from May 07

Some time ago I got myself a Rocky Patel vintage 1990 robusto, a 140mm long ring 50 cigar made with a 12 year old Honduran broadleaf wrapper and a 7 year old filler and binder. This particular cigar received a ‘best of the best’ at the 2004 Robb report and a 92 score at Cigar Aficionado so my expectations were high.

It is a beautiful cigar, pretty wrapper, nice stylish band, a real looker and it also feels good. The predraw was light and easy and lighting this cigar was a piece of cake. An easy draw but no flavor. It took a few puffs to finally get a flavor and it was very light leather which grows stronger when I reach the 1/3rd point where a hint of cacao and a light fresh sour flavor also enter my palate. Somewhere around the half of the cigar the cacao grows a bit stronger but it’s still to light for my taste.

The ash is beautiful, white & gray and firm of construction. Just before I reach the half of the cigar the burn starts to get crooked so I have to correct. My correction was just a short success because the burn keeps on getting crooked and I keep on correcting. It is hard to keep this cigar burning correctly

This cigar is mild bodied, way too mild for me. Maybe I should try the 1992 vintage, that cigar is medium to full bodied according to the Rocky Patel website.

Would I buy this cigar again? No.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

Nice review...Me and RP can't see eye to eye...I do however like the Fire Corojo lonsdale

Or should I say DID... I think they are discontinued!
Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote