Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Do you "age" your coffee?

I dont home-roast, but I know many of you do. Do you age your beans after you roast them?

I find that when I get my beans that have just been roasted that morning, or even the day before, the crema on my espresso is not what it should be. You will see little bubbles in the crema, and it is easily broken.

When I spoke to my roaster (also my best friend) he said that espresso should age for a bit to expel any left over gasses. After hearing this i began experimenting. I find that I, and my customers, like espresso that has been aging for at least a month. All of our beans come in foil bags with one way valves.

Do any of you age your beans?
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
King James
Regard Me!
 
King James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jim
Location: Dark Side Of The Moon
Posts: 2,542
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

I think the "prime" time is like a day or two after roasting. However, I think after about a week the beans start to decline in taste/quality. Mr. Moo or someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
Mob Herfin' Since 2006
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
I think the "prime" time is like a day or two after roasting. However, I think after about a week the beans start to decline in taste/quality. Mr. Moo or someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Are you referring to your "drip" coffee or espresso?
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
King James
Regard Me!
 
King James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jim
Location: Dark Side Of The Moon
Posts: 2,542
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Are you referring to your "drip" coffee or espresso?
I don't drip or espresso.... just french press. I was referring to the beans that I roast in general.
__________________
Mob Herfin' Since 2006
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.
 
replicant_argent's Avatar
6
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Posts: 5,315
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Coffee "de-gasses" after roasting, with flavor peaking anywhere between 1 day and a week or so, depending on the bean origin and the roasting profile. After that, you are starting to drink stale coffee, or less flavorful coffee than you should. It also makes a difference in your grind size and uniformity.


Waits for Moo to expand on my simplistic answer.
__________________
www.stogietorch.com
Some days call for a stiff Pomade.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
King James
Regard Me!
 
King James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jim
Location: Dark Side Of The Moon
Posts: 2,542
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post


Waits for Moo to expand on my simplistic answer.
me too!

paging mr moo....
__________________
Mob Herfin' Since 2006
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
opus
grouper groper
 
opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Skip
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 57
Trading: (0)
Partagas
opus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

I use a vac pot and find 1 day to be perfect for me. Not sure for espresso.
__________________
A man is only as good as his word
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
MaytagMan
Just in from the Storm
 
MaytagMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salida, CA
Posts: 36
Trading: (0)
MaytagMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Some espressos need to rest 48-72 hours after roasting. Experiment with what you are getting and track the roast date and when you get the best results.
__________________
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
http://berris.wordpress.com
MaytagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaytagMan View Post
Some espressos need to rest 48-72 hours after roasting. Experiment with what you are getting and track the roast date and when you get the best results.
My original post stated that I find that my espresso tastes the best after a 4-5 week de-gassing period in oneway valved bags. I feel that it is best served that way.

I was not asking for advice(no offense), but rather just curious if any of you age your beans? It may be different for me because I purchase my beans already roasted and bagged.

I would guess that many home roasters just let the beans sit out for a couple days?
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
MaytagMan
Just in from the Storm
 
MaytagMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salida, CA
Posts: 36
Trading: (0)
MaytagMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
My original post stated that I find that my espresso tastes the best after a 4-5 week de-gassing period in oneway valved bags. I feel that it is best served that way.

I was not asking for advice(no offense), but rather just curious if any of you age your beans? It may be different for me because I purchase my beans already roasted and bagged.

I would guess that many home roasters just let the beans sit out for a couple days?
No offense taken - I misread your post, so my bad! In my experience, After a couple of weeks, it starts to lose its characteristics and start going stale. (I keep my coffee in one-way valved bags as well).
__________________
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
http://berris.wordpress.com
MaytagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
dunng
MassHole
 
dunng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Greg
Location: MassHole
Posts: 4,719
Trading: (59)
Cohiba
dunng has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaytagMan View Post
In my experience, After a couple of weeks, it starts to lose its characteristics and start going stale. (I keep my coffee in one-way valved bags as well).
Not in Moe's case, it was excellent the other week!
__________________
MassHole Banter
dunng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

As espresso brewing accentuates the good (and the not-good) character in any bean, blend or roast so, too, does it accentuate post-roast bean development called resting and subsequent staling. While I find the effect of resting less pronounced in drip, press or vac, it is certainly there. With espresso blends, however, the difference between a day or two (or five or seven, maybe) of rest can be very dramtic - the difference between grassy-green tasting and sweet-rich. This isn't some "maybe" thingie - it is profound and couldn't be missed by anyone with a tongue.

I can't say I ever had any espresso blend get better after more than about 7-10 days post roast; often they hang great for another week or so after they peak then slide, slowly into staleness I suppose. Can't say for sure 'cause I find the peak around 10-days with espresso so I plan my roast quantity and schedule around that. I don't roast a month ahead and I don't expend effort to figure out what combination of beans and roast profile peak longest and slowest. Know why? Because I don't have too. I just go out in the garage and roast some more whenever I want to. No telling what effort sharp commercial guys put into bean selection, roast profile and packaging to insure their stuff tastes good for as long as possible.

FWIW, whatever goes lame for espresso after "X" days still seems very good for drip. Big difference between espresso and drip "freshness".
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."

Last edited by Mister Moo; 10-18-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Resipsa
Über Cool Dude
 
Resipsa's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Vic
Location: FixItVille
Posts: 1,819
Trading: (4)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Resipsa has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
As espresso brewing accentuates the good (and the not-good) character in any bean, blend or roast so, too, does it accentuate post-roast bean development called resting and subsequent staling. While I find the effect of resting less pronounced in drip, press or vac, it is certainly there. With espresso blends, however, the difference between a day or two (or five or seven, maybe) of rest can be very dramtic - the difference between grassy-green tasting and sweet-rich. This isn't some "maybe" thingie - it is profound and couldn't be missed by anyone with a tongue.
I can't say I ever had any espresso blend get better after more than about 7-10 days post roast; often they hang great for another week or so after they peak then slide, slowly into staleness I suppose. Can't say for sure 'cause I find the peak around 10-days with espresso so I plan my roast quantity and schedule around that. I don't roast a month ahead and I don't expend effort to figure out what combination of beans and roast profile peak longest and slowest. Know why? Because I don't have too. I just go out in the garage and roast some more whenever I want to. No telling what effort sharp commercial guys put into bean selection, roast profile and packaging to insure their stuff tastes good for as long as possible.

FWIW, whatever goes lame for espresso after "X" days still seems very good for drip. Big difference between espresso and drip "freshness".
Wise he is Mr. Moo.

A month to me is WAAAAYYY too long. I'm fortunate to live near one of the top coffee shops in the country, and get to speak with them often. (even though I homeroast, I enjoy their espresso blend so I stop in to pick some up every few weeks or so.)

They wouldn't sell, and I wouldn't purchase coffee that old, but that's just me.
Resipsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Wise he is Mr. Moo.

A month to me is WAAAAYYY too long. I'm fortunate to live near one of the top coffee shops in the country, and get to speak with them often. (even though I homeroast, I enjoy their espresso blend so I stop in to pick some up every few weeks or so.)

They wouldn't sell, and I wouldn't purchase coffee that old, but that's just me.

Espresso will retain its freshness for 6 months from roasting as long as it is in its sealed bag.

Once the bag is opened or breached, the shelf life decreases to one week.

Once ground, espresso will stale within half an hour. It will be difficult to get good flavor and crema if the coffee is more than 25-30 minutes old.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Resipsa
Über Cool Dude
 
Resipsa's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Vic
Location: FixItVille
Posts: 1,819
Trading: (4)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Resipsa has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Espresso will retain its freshness for 6 months from roasting as long as it is in its sealed bag.
Well, we disagree is all I can say, :

As evidenced by my favorite site about everything espresso.....and no, they aren't talking about ground coffee, LOL:

Relevant quote:

" Most serious enthusiasts feel that this shelf life is considerably less than a month, and many agree the shelf life at room temperature is limited to as little as 10 days after roasting. There is no evidence that simple valve bag packaging at room temperature significantly extends storage life for consumers who care about coffee freshness"
Full article:

http://www.home-barista.com/store-co...n-freezer.html

Last edited by Resipsa; 10-18-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Resipsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

That is a relevent quote from where exactly?

So youre telling me that Illy and LaVazza, are all selling stale coffee to thier customers? It takes 2 to 3 weeks just to get from Italy to the states.

If you would like, I can send you two samples of espresso. One I will mark A, the other B. One will be a bag that I have aged for over a month. The other I will get the same day it was roasted... I will package it as soon as it cools. I will priority ship it to you so it will arrive in three days.

I'll bet you a fiver of cigars that you cant tell wich one is 3 days old and which is 5 weeks old.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #17
Resipsa
Über Cool Dude
 
Resipsa's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Vic
Location: FixItVille
Posts: 1,819
Trading: (4)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Resipsa has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
That is a relevent quote from where exactly?

So youre telling me that Illy and LaVazza, are all selling stale coffee to thier customers? It takes 2 to 3 weeks just to get from Italy to the states.

If you would like, I can send you two samples of espresso. One I will mark A, the other B. One will be a bag that I have aged for over a month. The other I will get the same day it was roasted... I will package it as soon as it cools. I will priority ship it to you so it will arrive in three days.

I'll bet you a fiver of cigars that you cant tell wich one is 3 days old and which is 5 weeks old.
I've got nothing against either Illy or LaVazza, both fine companies, but I don't buy their product for the reasons you state, nor do I buy Maxwell House whole bean coffee, or Folgers, or any of the mass produced brands/supermarket brands. For me it's either homeroast/local roasters or artisan roasters off the net, because they, to me, produce the best, freshest product. YMMV

You don't want to make that bet, And I don't touch espresso beans until 4 days post roast anyway, LOL

Did you read the article? Because if you hit the link provided, it will answer the question of where the information comes from.

Last edited by Resipsa; 10-18-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Resipsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
You don't want to make that bet,

I just did.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #19
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Did you read the article? Because if you hit the link provided, it will answer the question of where the information comes from.
Sorry, my bad... didnt see the link there... but let me ask you again:

What makes that a relevent quote?

Home barista.com???

Seriously??
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.
 
replicant_argent's Avatar
6
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Posts: 5,315
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

OK, gentlemen, we need stakes, here...

Sounds like a Blind Espresso Tasting is on the pad, ready for launch!
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.