Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road
Default Mexican Puros?

Besides Te-Amo what are some other Mexican puros out there? Lots of Nic, CC, and Hon puros to pick from, but you just don't see a lot of puros from Mexico.

What am I missing?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mexican Puros?

nothing the mexican cigars I smoked weren't that good.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
nothing the mexican cigars I smoked weren't that good.
Do you guys think it's a lack of quality tobacco that can be raised from the region, or lack of an industry which leads to poor construction and product?

I guess I just don't get why so much quality product can be produced year after year just south of Mex and pratically be non existant a few miles north of Honduras?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Pyro
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Per
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Pyro is on a distinguished road

I have tried some cigars from A. Turrent and they were decent but nothing I would buy again.

By the way I'm going to Puerto Vallarta the 18 April and I intend to try some more Mexican cigars to give them a fair judgement.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I thought Cohibos were Mexican puros

Actually, the Tabamex (Mexican binder & filler but not a puro) that Famous sells isn't too bad for a bundled cigar.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

For most of our lifetimes it was illegal for Mexican cigar makers to use any imported tobacco. Unfortunately during the early years of the "Cigar Boom" every magazine, forum, and blog ripped Mexican puros to shreds. The Mexican puro market went directly into the toilet. The government finally wised up and now allows imported tobacco.

You've got to realize what these are, pure Mexican. Some people love the funky barnyard taste and smell. Others hate it. The Turrents have been trying, with limited success IMHO, to use imported tobaccos to improve their smokes.

I happen to enjoy a nice Mexican puro once in a while. If that's your everyday smoke you are a better man than me!

Check out JR Cigar for the Santa Clara brand. These occasionally win awards, I don't know why. Te-Amo is the best of the Mexican puros.
I especially like the "Robusto" which is much bigger than the industry standard.

It's funny that on the rare occasion I fire up a Te-Amo my wife will comment (yell) PU! is that a Mexican? Even she can smell that funky barnyard smell, that if you enjoy it, is wonderful.

Also check out Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of cigars. A wealth of information about blends and brands.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post

I'm sure whatever is in a Cohibo is from Mexico!!! (Insert cow pooping here)

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post

True, I forgot about that. Just buy some "Cubans" from one of the tourist traps and they will be Mexican puros.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

[quote=kaisersozei;195849]I thought Cohibos were Mexican puros

You beat me to the punch, I was going to say the same thing. These are probably the most famous of any Mexican Puros.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Richards hand rolled are Mexican Puro. And pretty darn good for an un-aged smoke.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Finck Cigar Company has a few house blends that are Mexican puros.

www.finckcigarcompany.com
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Hopefully Richard(tzaddi) will chime in here. Much of the filler/binder in many big name smokes comes from the San Andreas region of Mexico.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Hopefully Richard(tzaddi) will chime in here. Much of the filler/binder in many big name smokes comes from the San Andreas region of Mexico.
If I may be so bold as to quote myself from my original 03-03-2007 introduction…

Quote:
…With my interest in genealogy/history I was first drawn to the cigars of the Valley of the Tuxtlas in Southern Veracruz, Mexico via Cigar Magazine, Summer 2005 edition, reading an article titled, "The Much-Maligned Mexican Cigar". So I smoked me some A. Turrent 2000 Coronas, not being able to get my hands on any of the family cabinet line that Miguel Turrent smokes, I also smoked some Santa Clara 1830s and of course some Te-Amos. Santa Clara makes some good cigars but as far as the Te-Amos... lately I have smoked some Aniversario Vintage 99 Perfecto (love the shape) and Robusto sticks that I liked. Concluding the Valley of the Tuxtlas rant I have ordered a sampler of 18 cigars from http://www.calidadtobaccos.com/cigars.html that are currently in transit.…
Well those cigars arrived and here is a link to one of my web pages showing the Toztli and Getomi cigars that I received in a later shipment
http://web.mac.com/tzaddi/Cordero/Nicotiana_2.html

As some of the BABOTL are aware I have received several shipments of whole leaf tobacco from Calidad Tobaccos. The last order I received included;
3 pounds of Moron (centro) 8 yrs.
2 pounds of Capote (banda) 6 yrs.
2 pounds of Capa (Habana) 6 yrs.

My experience with Mexican tobacco has been mainly positive but I completely understand the negative comments and experiences of others.

Summize to say that there is good Mexican tobacco as well as not so…

Here is a bit of information that I have uncovered in my research concerning my region of interest in Mexico. I have posted this on several other sites.

Quote:
I recently came across this excerpt from a book titled "Resources and Development of Mexico" By Hubert Howe Bancroft. Published by The Bancroft company, 1893.

Quote:
The soil of the famous vegas or tobacco plantations of the Vuelta Abajo in Cuba, contains eighty-eight to ninety-two per cent of sand with traces of potash. Soil with more clay will produce a weed surcharged with nicotine, but lacking that delicate aroma that has given the Cuban a world wide fame.
In it he speaks to the concept of soil composition and how it relates to the flavor & strength of the tobacco grown there and how these conditions exist in Mexico.
Speaking to the potentiality of Mexican tobacco I quote further research and a cool anecdotal story.

In the category of just because a reference book is old is not an indication of it's accuracy. I submit he following excerpt of self promotion.

Mexico and the United States: A Study of Subjects Affecting Their Political, Commercial, and Social Relations, Made with a View to Their Promotion
By Matías Romero
Published by G. P. Putnam, 1898
Original from the University of Michigan
Digitized Feb 20, 2008
759 pages

Quote:
Tobacco—Among the tropical products of superior quality that we raise in the hot zone, I should mention tobacco, the Mexican tobacco being, in General Grant's estimation, superior to the Havana article. The natural conditions of soil and temperature are the same in Cuba and Mexico, but we had not the superior experience of the Cubans in curing the leaf until the late insurrection broke out in Cuba, in 1868, when a great many Cubans went to Mexico to plant tobacco. As the land has been planted in Cuba with tobacco for nearly four hundred years, and as tobacco is a very exhausting crop, it has become indispensable to manure the land with guano, while in Mexico we have virgin land, and tobacco being a comparatively new industry, no guano needs to be used. General Grant, whom I consider a competent judge, detected the taste of guano in the Havana cigars, of which ours is free, and he, therefore, preferred to smoke the Mexican cigars.

In Cuba the exhausted soil cannot produce all the leaves that are required for the world's supply of Havana cigars, and the want can only be filled through the use of Mexico leaf tobacco, the weed produced in other countries having similar conditions. The Marquis de Cabanas sent to Sumatra a quantity of seed when it became obvious that the soil of the tobacco region of Cuba was fast being worn out. He sent seed also to Java and to the United States, but it was found that it was impossible to raise tobacco of the quality of that raised in Havana anywhere but in Mexico. That raised in Java from Havana seed was very coarse and rank, replete with nicotine and meconic acid, and devoid of those delicate essential oils that give the Havana and Mexican tobacco their fine aroma.

The tobacco plant is a native of the tropics, and thrives best in the hot lands. It is a hardy plant, however, and will grow well in northern latitudes in the summer time. It often happens that the land in the tropics is actually too rich for the successful cultivation of tobacco.
Further research provides a very different view of General Grant and his taste in cigars, in this case I submit the following cigar anecdote from
Ward, Ferdinand. General Grant as I Knew Him. New York Herald (magazine section)
December 19, 1909, pp. 1-2

Quote:
Often I have been asked if General Grant was a drinking man. He was anything but that. He very seldom touched any liquor except ale, and he drank that sparingly and at rare intervals. As is well known, he smoked incessantly. I have known him to go to bed with a heavy Havana in his mouth, put out the lights and continue smoking for a time in the dark. He would never finish this nightcap cigar, but when it was about half done he would put it somewhere where it might be reached easily in the morning.
The first thing he did when he awakened was to get this stub and light it. Sometimes he would smoke another whole cigar before breakfast. Luncheon and dinner usually interrupted his smoking, and he would put his half finished cigar aside, to be resumed immediately upon finishing his mean. When he came to the office I always had twenty-five of his favorite three for fifty cent cigars ready for him, and invariably he smoked them all during the day.

A cigar anecdote, which, I believe, has never been written, will show another trait of his character, that of loyalty to friends.

The incident afforded several of us the greatest amusement at the time and we often teased the General about it. When he returned from his visit to Mexico he was enthusiastic about the possibilities of the country and a warm friend and admirer of General Diaz. He told us the General had promised to send him some Mexican cigars, and as he said the conditions for raising fine tobacco in Mexico were unexcelled he had no doubt they would be much better than even Havanas. He said he had not tried the Mexican cigars while on his visit, as the subject had not come up for discussion until he was leaving.

One day there arrived at the office a case of five thousand cigars made from pure Mexican tobacco, a present from Diaz. Before he opened the case the General was as excited about the gift as it was possible for him to get, and he told us that if there were any more of the Havanas on hand to give them away and that it would not be necessary to get any more for a while.

"We will probably like these much better any way," said the General, "and when they are gone we can order them in large lots direct from Mexico."

The cigars were packed one hundred each in fifty beautiful lacquered boxes. General Grant presented each of us in the office with a box and we began to smoke the new cigars. They were large, black and coarse, and to our educated taste exceedingly rank.

In deference to the seriousness with which the General took the gift we stuck it out as long as we could. U. S. Grant, Jr., managed to smoke about twenty-five of the Mexican cigars, I believe, before he was forced to discontinue them. Fred Grant and I managed somehow to finish out a hundred each, but declined positively to accept a second box.

The General manfully stuck it out for a while longer, chiding us for our lack of appreciation and telling us that we did not know good tobacco when we tasted it. Finally he, too, was forced to give up the unequal struggle and confess that, after all, the new cigars could not compare with the Havanas to which he had become accustomed.
To sum up… Mexican Puros have yet to consistently meet there potential, but I have not given up hope.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
totallytentative

So what does typify a Mexican flavor (or aroma) again?
Barnyard/earthiness? Might be interesting...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

When you go to Puerto Vallarta stop in at the Cigar Factory in the Downtown area. They have a roller there and a big walk in humi. The place sits on a busy corner across from the mercado and it is a great place to have a cold beer, cigar and watch the world go by. I brought a box of their custom rolled back home in 07 and I have them aging in the coolerdor. Been meaning to take one out and give it a try.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Almost a Mexican Puros. Nicaraguan leaf for the binder and Mexican San Andreas tobacco for the wrapper and filler.
http://www.cheapercigars.com/A-Turrent-Cigars.html

The few that I've smoked were pretty good.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

Thanks for the info guys. I've always heard how bad Mexican cigars were so I've never really looked into them. I'm headed to Cancun in a few weeks and I always try to experience what other countries have to offer in ways of food, drink, and entertainment when I'm a guest. Thought it may be fun to bring back some unique Mexican cigars and Tequila to enjoy and remember the trip.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Legend

Its not a quality question. Its supply and financial.

Mexicans can make a new product and try to break into the market or take the whole lot. Roll it and sell it at substantial profit to American tourists as "Cuban" cigars.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #19
ronhoffman2

i used to be a te-amo fan way back in my early days of cigar smoking. haven't had one in years. i may have to pick a few up to try them out again.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

I'm sure that Mexican growers could produce quality premium leaf if they chose to - it's the same volcanic soil that makes Nicaraguan and Honduran cigars good - but IMHO they simply haven't chosen to do so. They have concentrated on their core market, which seems to be in the bargain end of the spectrum.

It would be interesting to see a Mexican producer come up with a Puro; even so, the odds are against it since the leaf is one component, but the generations of experience that produce quality in brands like Padron, La Aurora and Fuente isn't present there.