Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mexican Puros? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8962)

Lucky_Hippo 01-27-2009 12:27 PM

Mexican Puros?

Besides Te-Amo what are some other Mexican puros out there? Lots of Nic, CC, and Hon puros to pick from, but you just don't see a lot of puros from Mexico.

What am I missing?

Don Fernando 01-27-2009 12:31 PM

Re: Mexican Puros?

nothing :) the mexican cigars I smoked weren't that good.

Lucky_Hippo 01-27-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 195668)
nothing :) the mexican cigars I smoked weren't that good.

Do you guys think it's a lack of quality tobacco that can be raised from the region, or lack of an industry which leads to poor construction and product?

I guess I just don't get why so much quality product can be produced year after year just south of Mex and pratically be non existant a few miles north of Honduras?

:confused:

Pyro 01-27-2009 01:45 PM

I have tried some cigars from A. Turrent and they were decent but nothing I would buy again.

By the way I'm going to Puerto Vallarta the 18 April and I intend to try some more Mexican cigars to give them a fair judgement.

kaisersozei 01-27-2009 01:51 PM

I thought Cohibos were Mexican puros :D

Actually, the Tabamex (Mexican binder & filler but not a puro) that Famous sells isn't too bad for a bundled cigar.

Tio Gato 01-27-2009 02:50 PM

For most of our lifetimes it was illegal for Mexican cigar makers to use any imported tobacco. Unfortunately during the early years of the "Cigar Boom" every magazine, forum, and blog ripped Mexican puros to shreds. The Mexican puro market went directly into the toilet. The government finally wised up and now allows imported tobacco.

You've got to realize what these are, pure Mexican. Some people love the funky barnyard taste and smell. Others hate it. The Turrents have been trying, with limited success IMHO, to use imported tobaccos to improve their smokes.

I happen to enjoy a nice Mexican puro once in a while. If that's your everyday smoke you are a better man than me!:tu

Check out JR Cigar for the Santa Clara brand. These occasionally win awards, I don't know why. Te-Amo is the best of the Mexican puros.
I especially like the "Robusto" which is much bigger than the industry standard.

It's funny that on the rare occasion I fire up a Te-Amo my wife will comment (yell) PU! is that a Mexican? Even she can smell that funky barnyard smell, that if you enjoy it, is wonderful.

Also check out Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of cigars. A wealth of information about blends and brands.

Mr B 01-27-2009 04:29 PM

Richards hand rolled are Mexican Puro. And pretty darn good for an un-aged smoke.

borndead1 01-27-2009 04:35 PM

Finck Cigar Company has a few house blends that are Mexican puros.

www.finckcigarcompany.com

bobarian 01-27-2009 04:40 PM

Hopefully Richard(tzaddi) will chime in here. Much of the filler/binder in many big name smokes comes from the San Andreas region of Mexico.

totallytentative 01-27-2009 08:11 PM

So what does typify a Mexican flavor (or aroma) again? :confused:
Barnyard/earthiness? Might be interesting...

Cigargal 01-27-2009 08:21 PM

When you go to Puerto Vallarta stop in at the Cigar Factory in the Downtown area. They have a roller there and a big walk in humi. The place sits on a busy corner across from the mercado and it is a great place to have a cold beer, cigar and watch the world go by. I brought a box of their custom rolled back home in 07 and I have them aging in the coolerdor. Been meaning to take one out and give it a try.

JaKaacH 01-27-2009 09:24 PM

Almost a Mexican Puros. Nicaraguan leaf for the binder and Mexican San Andreas tobacco for the wrapper and filler.
http://www.cheapercigars.com/A-Turrent-Cigars.html

The few that I've smoked were pretty good.

Lucky_Hippo 01-28-2009 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I've always heard how bad Mexican cigars were so I've never really looked into them. I'm headed to Cancun in a few weeks and I always try to experience what other countries have to offer in ways of food, drink, and entertainment when I'm a guest. Thought it may be fun to bring back some unique Mexican cigars and Tequila to enjoy and remember the trip.

Skywalker 01-28-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 195849)

:r I'm sure whatever is in a Cohibo is from Mexico!!! (Insert cow pooping here):r

borndead1 01-28-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 195849)

:r True, I forgot about that. Just buy some "Cubans" from one of the tourist traps and they will be Mexican puros.

JD11 01-31-2009 06:49 AM

A guy at work smokes Matacan .. not sure if they're puros though...

Legend 01-31-2009 10:59 AM

Its not a quality question. Its supply and financial.

Mexicans can make a new product and try to break into the market or take the whole lot. Roll it and sell it at substantial profit to American tourists as "Cuban" cigars.

ronhoffman2 01-31-2009 11:17 AM

i used to be a te-amo fan way back in my early days of cigar smoking. haven't had one in years. i may have to pick a few up to try them out again.

lenguamor 02-01-2009 03:03 PM

I'm sure that Mexican growers could produce quality premium leaf if they chose to - it's the same volcanic soil that makes Nicaraguan and Honduran cigars good - but IMHO they simply haven't chosen to do so. They have concentrated on their core market, which seems to be in the bargain end of the spectrum.

It would be interesting to see a Mexican producer come up with a Puro; even so, the odds are against it since the leaf is one component, but the generations of experience that produce quality in brands like Padron, La Aurora and Fuente isn't present there.

RUJohnny99 02-01-2009 09:52 PM

I haven't had a Te Amo in about 10 years, but all I remember is that brand tasted like dirt. Not earth, pure dirt like when you fall in a puddle of mud and can't get that taste out no matter how many bottles of water you rinse with.