Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #141
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The journey from 260 to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Looking for a new obsession, been working with an architect to design an addition for the shack.
Potential retirement job: Full time security at The Shack.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #142
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Somehow I lost 10 pounds on Shack weekend....I musta kept "forgetting" to eat.
I'm thinking that's because there aren't many calories in Tequila or Vodka. Most of the carbs have been converted to alcohol, hence the weight loss.

Quote:
. By next friday want to stabilize and see if I can stay at 180-185 as "the new normal". Might not be realistic but not going to fret about a few.

Looking for a new obsession, been working with an architect to design an addition for the shack.
Good work on the weightloss/lifestyle change. It's not easy. BTW, would that mean it would cease to be "the shack"? Perhaps Shack Estate, Shack Manor, or Shackzilla?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #143
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Decided that one last push was in order. Worked out every day for the past 14. Last 6 days 2x a day hour on the airdyne, 150 push ups, 150 crunches, etc in each session.

The end has been passed.

Time for maintenance mode. I think 180 is probably a little to light starting to scare myself. Going to target 185 as a stable weight. Challenge is now how to move from always trying to get lighter to .... staying at a place.

A good problem compared to weighing 260 as I did 6 months ago.

So ... final numbers:

Start: 4/5/2011 - 260 Pounds
End: 9/30/2011 - 178.9 Pounds

Total Weight Loss: 81.1 Pounds

Last edited by Da Klugs; 09-30-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: math
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #144
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Congrats on all you've accomplished, Dave, and to your stick-to-it-ness in the future.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #145
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Congrats Dave. I know how hard of a job that is at your age......
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #146
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
There's the pot calling the kettle old.

You coming up North in November, Rick?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #147
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Awesome job Dave.

Some people say the first few pounds are the hardest to lose, others say the last few. I think the hardest part about losing weight is keeping it off. You feel like you should reward yourself for all your hard work, so the occasional snack or treat becomes real easy to cave in to.

I think one of the best ways to keep yourself motivated is to think in terms of what it would take to work it off in order to eat it.

Say to yourself "That cheesecake looks awesome, but its like 45 minutes on the treadmill"
Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #148
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
There's the pot calling the kettle old.

You coming up North in November, Rick?
Just giving the young fella a little ****. Yesterday was a S.H.I.T.

Where you going to be?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #149
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Congrats on all you've accomplished, Dave, and to your stick-to-it-ness in the future.
Been a long 6 months. I think the long term nature of it helps though. Pretty much determined not to go back to where I was. Lifestyle changes that include some 4000 calorie consumption days is where the balance needs to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
Hey I can only think hard hard it would be at yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
Awesome job Dave.

Some people say the first few pounds are the hardest to lose, others say the last few. I think the hardest part about losing weight is keeping it off. You feel like you should reward yourself for all your hard work, so the occasional snack or treat becomes real easy to cave in to.

I think one of the best ways to keep yourself motivated is to think in terms of what it would take to work it off in order to eat it.

Say to yourself "That cheesecake looks awesome, but its like 45 minutes on the treadmill"
The last 10-15 was the hardest no contest. First 30 was a piece of cake. Last few were a female dog. Bounced around for a month or 2 to get them off. Finally took some extreme diet and exercise to get to this morning. We will see what it takes to stay in the 185 range. Intentionally went lower to enable a stable point around 185. Figure anything between 180 and 190 is going to be acceptible movig forward. 190 is the "danger Wiil Robinson point".
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #150
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic Dave! That had to have been some hard work (I am not reading the entire thread....sue me if you posted how hard it was), but the outcome is the reward....very very cool
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #151
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Keep us posted, Dave. I ballooned up and now I'm dropping back again. It is definately a female dog, no doubt.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #152
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Keep us posted, Dave. I ballooned up and now I'm dropping back again. It is definately a female dog, no doubt.
The last couple of weeks required as much willpower as I had. Just got tired of the 185 to 195 bouncing I had been doing. I think the end of the shack season helped as all the drinking and eatring there would cause me to gain 6-8 pounds every weekend.

I'm curious if I can keep the weight off that the crash program of the last 2 weeks though. Figure on continuing the more extensive workouts and tapering as the weight stabilizes.

Been keeping track of things. The goal now is to keep the weekly high weight down for the next couple of weeks. 8-10 pound weekly swings are not good.

Last 9 weeks high and low weight and next 2 weeks goals below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weight trend.jpg (37.5 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Da Klugs; 09-30-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #153
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The last couple of weeks required as much willpower as I had. Just got tired of the 185 to 195 bouncing I had been doing. I think the end of the shack season helped as all the drinking and eatring there would cause me to gain 6-8 pounds every weekend.

I'm curious if I can keep the weight off that the crash program of the last 2 weeks though. Figure on continuing the more extensive workouts and tapering as the weight stabilizes.

Been keeping track of things. The goal now is to keep the weekly high weight down for the next couple of weeks. 8-10 pound weekly swings are not good.

Last 9 weeks high and low weight and next 2 weeks goals below:
I didn't really change my food intake much, but my activity fell off cause my neural stuff had been really bad for a month. In all honesty, towards the end of that run I started eating Almond Joys and other junk like that, which I usually do when I get real bad. I'm not sure if it's the "comfort" aspect, or if my body needs something in it. (I'll eat crap food because I can't stay on my feet long enough to make decent food, as well.)
It worked because things have ironed out pretty well and I'm already losing what I put back on really fast.

I really wouldn't worry about those 8-10 pound swings as long as they correct themselves. With your size and your body's ability to put up water, and as much food as you can have backed up in your system as it's being metabolized, you can carry a good ten pounds right there.
So if you're at Shack over the weekend and literally eat 8 or 9 pounds of food, plus all the beer and so forth, it's going to take days to just get that through the digestive tract, and your body is going to burn all the alcohol sugar before it goes to work on the food you stuffed down the hole. At our age we don't metabolize like kids, either. It takes time to work that food off.

I'd stack Shack in with cigars. What you do there is what brings you joy, and that's what we're here waiting for. God's Grace is huge up there on the lake. The benefits of a weekend there far outweigh any negatives, just as with smoking cigars. Plus you continue to exercise there, and get right back to your eating routine during the week.
I guess I'm suggesting to look at the net aggregate rather than the immediate changes. Maybe stretch your "okay range" just a bit and call it good. You've been busting your ass so long and so hard and so maniacally, it's probably hard to back up and let things just "be" now. That's why I've been waiting to see you report on how that end part goes. I knew it was going to be tough for both of us.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #154
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Just went 72 hours without doing any workouts. Don't laugh, it was hard not to hit it.

185 this morning and feeling pretty good. Going to exercise the next few days and then next week start a 1x only a day workout schedule with weekends off. See where it takes me.

Ate a Big Mac on Tuesday night at 1 am...
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #155
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

After seeing you at the Shack in Aug 2011, my advice is to keep up the excercise and stop trying to lose weight.
You need to be fit, not anorexic. You look good now, if a bit skinny.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #156
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:

Ate a Big Mac on Tuesday night at 1 am...
Was ya drinkin'?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #157
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Man I am finding it harder and harder to find time to work out (not an excuse) by the time I get home it's after 6pm, dinner is anywhere from 7-7:30 then I usually work out after that and TRY to get a cigar in before bedtime by 11pm.....lately I have been skipping the workout and smoking, I need to get back on the horse....steady at 27 lbs aint doing it for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #158
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
....steady at 27 lbs aint doing it for me.
That is awfully light, unless you are 3 foot 2.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #159
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
That is awfully light, unless you are 3 foot 2.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #160
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

That's awesome. Congrats!!

Let me ask you something. When you miss a workout, you feel all giddy and anxious, like you need to do something until you actually work out?

I only ask because I started walking 3 weeks ago. (Bad ankles, no running for me). I do it 3 times a week. I have a VERY sedentary job, and I get that feeling and I have to walk the floors of the hospital. Plus, before I go out to walk when I am at home, I get fidgety until I go and walk. Taken me from 285 to 270, though. Just wondering if I was just weird like that.