Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #21
adampc22

Default Re: Requesting Fla. Law Advice Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexi-CAN View Post
if I wanted this response I would have told my dad... which I haven't yet...
its ok i wont take my belt to ya
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #22
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

You are in Boca?
Tons of attorneys advertising.
In fact, if you haven't gotten it already, just by virtue of your summons, you should have gotten swamped with mailers from attorneys offering to get you off for as little as $75.
If you haven't gotten them, guess what, your dad already knows 'cause he has them piled up and waiting to nail you with them. Come clean to him.

While sad and not proud of it, I have gotten my kids out of many violations in Florida via attorneys. I did it as although not proud, it saved me tons on insurance. You can generally end up paying the fine, court costs and no points or record on your license. In turn, doesn't affect your rates for insurance.

In Florida, you can also elect to pay the fine and go to traffic school, which you can do online, and get no points as result. However, you can only do school five times.

Also, the issue of the second ticket and an attorney will be likely predicated on what happens with the first. If you are convicted on the first, gets much harder to argue on your behalf that you were clean and made a one time mistake on the second. One of my kids had two concurrent and the only reason the second one got dismissed was due to no record of the first.

All that aside, do as I told my kids.
I don't get any tickets.
I wonder why?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
you should have gotten swamped with mailers from attorneys offering to get you off for as little as $75.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, THAT'S what they meant?

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #24
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knip23 View Post
easist way to get points off your license is DUI school Defensive Driving, Drivers ED, Evasive (somthing like that) Driveing school. Then turn them into your local DMV or DPS, and insurance company.

Ditto. In VA you can even go as high as +5 points on your driving record by taking a defensive drivers ed course, etc. If awarded negative points in court, they come of the positive points first.

Kinda of a short time frame but getting one in prior to the court couldn't hurt. Even going to court sans lawyer and asking the judge for mercy cost nothing but time off. Offer to take a course. While not cheap, if it keeps the points down and maybe the insurance, not a bad thing.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So... basically I got a ticket (driving the wrong way in a one way) in late November, I feel like the ticket was bs and set up a court date to contest it on February 17th. Everything was going well except for the fact that I got another ticket last night. (rolling through a blinking stop light..)

What I am asking is.. Can anyone can steer me in the right direction in regards to the best course of action I should take at this point.
Down here in South Florida you can get a lawyer to get you off both tickets (maybe)...you end up paying court costs but get no points...dunno if he can get you off two at once though...it's the old boy network...lawyer gets paid, judges & cops earn their keep...everybody gets paid off and you save from your insurance going up...or you can go to a class for one of the tickets...usually it's one day and the same cost as the ticket but again, no points...you should be able to take the class for one and have the lawyer get you out of the other one...constesting it yourself in court is a real bad idea down here...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
SSatVT
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Seth
Trading: (2)
SSatVT has disabled reputation

I would say, like others have mentioned, go talk to a lawyer (do a little research first). I know I will never go into another court room (when I am being charged) without one. Like has been mentioned, the address that is on record with DMV has probably gotten at least a few letters from lawyers offering their services in traffic court, do a little research on them and give one or multiple a call.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #27
mexi-CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Down here in South Florida you can get a lawyer to get you off both tickets (maybe)...you end up paying court costs but get no points...dunno if he can get you off two at once though...it's the old boy network...lawyer gets paid, judges & cops earn their keep...everybody gets paid off and you save from your insurance going up...or you can go to a class for one of the tickets...usually it's one day and the same cost as the ticket but again, no points...you should be able to take the class for one and have the lawyer get you out of the other one...constesting it yourself in court is a real bad idea down here...
im going to end up hiring a lawyer for the first ticket and take care of the second with traffic school. thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #28
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
im going to end up hiring a lawyer for the first ticket and take care of the second with traffic school. thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated.
Wise decision...even wiser would be to obey the traffic laws...
Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #29
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
NO!!!!

If the two tickets are in different jurisdictions, have both addressed by an attorney.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the sign was placed in such a way that it was unclear there were also cars parked on the side that was in the wrong direction. These two infractions are my first ever.
It's not a bs ticket. The LEO is enforcing the law. You are not aware of it because a few circumstances.

Had the same issue before. There was a single sign which was obscured by tree branches. I contested it. Took pictures from all angles. I presented my pictures to the judge. He basically said, paraphrasing here, "What you are saying is it's the fault of township for not maintaining a visible sign.". I was like er er., Yes your honor. He dismissed the case. You have a stronger case than I do, but again, as with everything else, YMMV.

Hire a lawyer.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Last fall I was stopped for doing 79 in a 55. In Virginia that means that if you are a resident of the Commonwealth you are going to get reamed - and rightfully so.

So this is what I did:

Signed up for an online drivers course and completed it. Went to court, dressed but not too much (jacket no tie). When it was my turn I pleaded guilty. When asked if I had anything to say I apologized and presented the judge with my online certificate. He was surprised that I had already taken it. He asked the officer if I was polite to him. The officer said yes. The judge said that since my driving record was clean (last offense was in 1981 so off the records), since I had completed the drivers course and was polite to the officer: charges dismissed with a small court fee of $78.

So no insurance hit, nothing on the record and I have the most allowable positive points that Virginia allows. Look like a model citizen - LOL

Good luck!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #32
mexi-CAN

had my court case today came in with attorney left with clean driving record!