Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
memnoc
I like pie

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
memnoc is on a distinguished road
Default Punch & Ring Gauge

Wondering what the board's opinion was on punches. At what ring gauge do you give up the punch for the cutters?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Punch & Ring Gauge

I am a cutter guy myself, sometimes I get tar issues with a punch, and I guess I just prefer the more voluminous draw. But I have many friends who love the punch, so to each his own.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I punch anything over 30 rg. Cutter for anything smaller or torpedos.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

I will punch anything large than a Lancero size, unless its a torp then I cut at a 45* angle and call it good. Its not a requirement by any means because some people tend to wet the end of their cigar extensively and you get build up issues, but then again some people just enjoy the large volumes of smoke. This is like asking a group of people what their favorite marca is, you will get many different answers its all about preference and experience.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
memnoc
I like pie

HUpmann

One of the reasons I ask is I had a 52 ring gauge and was about to punch it when someone walked up and said to cut a cigar of that size. He said, the nicotine buildup will turn the cigar bitter quicker.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

OH! If you want to get creative, get a chisel from LFD and punch through the top of it so you have something like this...

....... ________________________________________________
::;:;:;........................................ | B |..............__......|.......................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
;:;::;;....................................... | A |.............| |....|............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
;:;;:; ........................................ | N |.............|__|....|........................... .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
:;;:;:;__________________________|__D__|__________ _____| .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

obviously the diagram sucks lol but when you draw on the chisel smoke will hit your tongue and the roof of your mouth at the same time making for a completely different smoking experience all together. EAT A FULL MEAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!! you have been warned.

Last edited by Poronico; 10-16-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Eff it I give up lol
Poronico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poronico View Post
OH! If you want to get creative, get a chisel from LFD and punch through the top of it so you have something like this...

....... ________________________________________________
::;:;:;........................................ | B |..............__......|.......................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
;:;::;;....................................... | A |.............| |....|............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
;:;;:; ........................................ | N |.............|__|....|........................... .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
:;;:;:;__________________________|__D__|__________ _____| .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

obviously the diagram sucks lol but when you draw on the chisel smoke will hit your tongue and the roof of your mouth at the same time making for a completely different smoking experience all together. EAT A FULL MEAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!! you have been warned.
Not sure I get your post. It may be the alcohol, but I would like an elaboration on this.

EDIT: to the OP, I used to love the punch, but the longer I've been in this hobby I like the guillotine more than the punch. Never used a Vcut myself, but my Xikar works great for me.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Not sure I get your post. It may be the alcohol, but I would like an elaboration on this.

EDIT: to the OP, I used to love the punch, but the longer I've been in this hobby I like the guillotine more than the punch. Never used a Vcut myself, but my Xikar works great for me.
Punch through both of the flat sides of the chisel head of the cigar. One opening points up, one down. Smoke hits your palate and tounge at the same time.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

I should have just done this in the beginning because my ASCII skills blow goats.

Make sure you punch ALL the way through the cigar when you draw it will shoot smoke both up and down giving it you a fuller taste of the tobacco as well as the spice
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Punch through both of the flat sides of the chisel head of the cigar. One opening points up, one down. Smoke hits your palate and tounge at the same time.
Thanks for the assistance Cthulu
Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
memnoc
I like pie

HUpmann

Quote:
Make sure you punch ALL the way through the cigar when you draw it will shoot smoke both up and down giving it you a fuller taste of the tobacco as well as the spice
Interesting concept....I'll have to give it a try.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I punch everything over rg40
Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

I prefer to punch anything large enough to punch. Sometimes it depends on the cap. A poorly done cap will often just come off after punching and you get unraveling. I like scissor style cutters when not punching.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I should have just done this in the beginning because my ASCII skills blow goats.

That looks like a keychain.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote